Schwarzenegger: The tea party movement will fade when the economy comes back

posted at 4:29 pm on February 24, 2010 by Allahpundit

He’s on firmer ground here than he was over the weekend.

“The TEA Party is an expression of anger and of disappointment,” Schwarzenegger said in an interview last night with Greta Van Susteren on FOX News Channel’s On the Record. “I’m just saying they’re not going anywhere with it because nobody is coming up and saying, ‘Here’s our candidate, here’s our solution, here’s what we’re going to do,’ and have a whole policy debate over the various different issues….

“So this is why I think, in the end, when the economy comes back, I think that the TEA Party will disappear again,” he said — which begs the question of how quickly the economy will offer any signs of real recovery sufficient to quell that tea revolt.

Nobody’s coming up and saying, “Here’s our candidate”? Like I said the last time I wrote about this, tell that to Charlie Crist. The “here’s what we’re going to do” part is also being addressed. It may not be a Schwarzenegger agenda — although Schwarzenegger circa 2003 would have taken a shine to it, I’ll bet — but it’s an agenda.

He’s right about some of the energy being sapped from the movement as economic anxieties recede, though. That’s not to say it’ll fade entirely (Perot’s Reform Party is still around in some form, as I recall) and the more committed libertarians within the group will keep on truckin’ regardless, fueled by their principles. But no movement is comprised entirely of dedicated ideologues; they’re all a mix of ideologues, reformists, and people who are disaffected for whatever reason, and as the last group becomes less disaffected, some are bound to peel away. Said Richard Hofstadter:

Major parties have lived more for patronage than for principles; their goal has been to bind together a sufficiently large coalition of diverse interests to get into power; and once in power, to arrange sufficiently satisfactory compromises of interests to remain there. Minor parties have been attached to some special idea or interest, and they have generally expressed their positions through firm and identifiable programs and principles. Their function has not been to win or govern, but to agitate, educate, generate new ideas, and supply the dynamic element in our political life. When a third party’s demands become popular enough, they are appropriated by one or both of the major parties and the third party disappears. Third parties are like bees: once they have stung, they die.

Right. Schwarzenegger’s problem is that he seems to think the tea party won’t ever sting when in fact they’ve stung already and are preparing to swarm in November. The question is whether they can get the GOP to appropriate their principles before the economy recovers and takes some of the urgency out of their demands. Given the track The One is on, that could be as soon as … what? Five years from now?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The economy isn’t going to come back with this syndicalist in the white house.

daesleeper on February 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM

It is not the tea party people who are the unemployed .

borntoraisehogs on February 24, 2010 at 5:12 PM

upinak on February 24, 2010 at 5:08 PM

I imagine they will destroy the whale after this.

OmahaConservative on February 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM

It is embarrassing that incompetence on the level that Swartzenegger exhibits removes all doubt he is unfit for public office. Do we really wonder why California is bankrupt with no hope for improving?

volsense on February 24, 2010 at 5:17 PM

This is best in life?

I suspect his days are probably more numbered than the Tea Party movement.

Mr. Joe on February 24, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Why is he so visible now? Talk shows, interviews, whus up? And yea, Arnold, we might not be around. If we wanted to be around we’d try for a third party. We’re not. We’re doing what we can to stop your collective pillaging of our country. Capiche? Now stop talking about something of which you have no knowledge.

Yellowdog12 on February 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Idiots like ninjapirate and JetBoy are the reason we’re in the mess we are in. We’ve let too many people steer us left simply because they agree with us on “most” things.

You know idiot RINO apologists like those two are getting really annoying.

MobileVideoEngineer on February 24, 2010 at 5:21 PM

It amazes me just how many people fail to appreciate the magnitude of the Tea Party movement

John the Libertarian on February 24, 2010 at 5:23 PM

I’m amazed, I haven’t heard anyone talk about changing the law so Arnold can run for President! Just goes to show you how your brain can warp when you sleep with the Kennedys.

Here, in Florida, we’re going to solve our Arnold problem and vote for Rubio. Crist lost my vote when he said he wanted to make Florida like California.

bflat879 on February 24, 2010 at 5:23 PM

If anyone wants to know why Arnold is so visible now, he’s the only Republican they can get who sounds like a Democrat.

bflat879 on February 24, 2010 at 5:23 PM

I was screaming at my TV last nite during this interview.. California (my former home) is 21 Billion in debt and Arnold is blathering about bike paths and water fountains at schools. I was mortified…. He does not get it no not one bit….

kringeesmom on February 24, 2010 at 5:25 PM

So, is this Arnold’s way of taking credit for the Tea Party movement?

stenwin77 on February 24, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Good lord, too much rancidness here… give Schwarzenegger a break….

ninjapirate on February 24, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I don’t think the people of California are giving him much of a break. His approval rating in the state is pretty low. I assume you’re aware that the California economy is in the toilet?

chris999 on February 24, 2010 at 5:25 PM

It is not the tea party people who are the unemployed .

borntoraisehogs on February 24, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Uh…what makes you say that? Quite frankly, that just ain’t true.

I don’t know if Allah gets it yet. I’m not saying we’re third party strong now, but I see no evidence whatsoever to suggest that an economic rebound will kill the movement. This is about more than temporary economic rebounds.

As a matter of fact, Hofstadter’s point doesn’t make any sense if in fact the Tea Party is, rightly, partly about “agitat[ing], educat[ing], generat[ing] new ideas, and supply[ing] the dynamic element” because until our economy is on truly sound footing, most people will now, hopefully, be able to recognize false rebounds for what they are.

And I don’t anticipate that sound footing coming anytime soon.

Nope. We’re here to stay and to be honest, according at least to the many, many partiers I’ve talked to, we won’t quit until either, a) the Republican Party completely and unabashedly adopts our position or, b) we are third party strong.

I wouldn’t bet on the phrase “tea party” leaving the vernacular for a decade.

You heard it here first.

russcote on February 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Why does anyone running the 6th largest economy in the world into the ground want to comment on anothers opinion.

How is it that a total fiscal failure dare open his mouth about any body else’s ideas. And have the gall to say “when the economy gets better these people will fade away”.

As long as we have people like arnold, nancy, harry and bho the economy will continue to decline.

Arnold sees the tea party as an angry mob. I see it as a long overdue awakening of the silent majority.

TomLawler on February 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Well, they were talking about changing the law and the reason was because of Arnold and Jennifer Granholm in MI. They were both rising superstars who people actually envisioned in the race for POTUS at the same time and neither were born in the US.
The funny part is both have been pretty dismal as governor.

ORconservative on February 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I imagine they will destroy the whale after this.

OmahaConservative on February 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM

sad. what will they do with the meat?

upinak on February 24, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I imagine they will destroy the whale after this.

OmahaConservative on February 24, 2010 at 5:14 PM

O/T: An African bull elephant at the KC Zoo gored a trainer a few decades ago (the trainer survived but was paralyzed). They isolated the animal and set up a new way for his trainers to clean the cage and feed him without coming into contact with him. However, they did not put him down.

I think, with things like this, they realize that the bad press they’d get from euthanizing the animal would be more costly than continuing to care for the animal until it dies.

JadeNYU on February 24, 2010 at 5:28 PM

chris999 on February 24, 2010 at 5:25 PM
_____________

I’m pretty sure Ah-nuld is the only Republican with an approval rating below Bush.

Which is why the MSM is so desperate to get him some face time.

uknowmorethanme on February 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Arnold, like all of the know it alls, knows nothing. Even if the economy comes blazing back, highly unlikely, it’s still the spending. Unless the politicians and the American people make the tough choices when it comes to the unfunded mandates of Medicare/Medicaid/Social Security and the debt we are screwed. It’s the spending driving the Tea Parties, not what an airhead like Arnold thinks.

MoodyBlu on February 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM

“…when the economy comes back, I think that the TEA Party will disappear again,” he said.

Well Arnold, then it is looking like it will live long and prosper in Cally-for-neah! Hope you enjoy it’s loving attention.

drunyan8315 on February 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Yes, but Arnie, unlike the terminator, the economy won’t be coming back.

keep the change on February 24, 2010 at 5:35 PM

sad. what will they do with the meat?

upinak on February 24, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Most likely cremate/waste it. The tree huggin’ PETA types would raise holy-hell if it were consumed, by humans or animals.

OmahaConservative on February 24, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Poor Arnold, he really does not get it. Life in the bubble has not served him well.
This will be his final public mark, he just did not understand what makes America tick.

FireBlogger on February 24, 2010 at 5:35 PM

I won’t be back!

TheBigOldDog on February 24, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Hey Ahnuld…Go back to being a kindergarten cop, and let the adults clean up your mess.

ornery_independent on February 24, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Schwarzenegger is probably the biggest underperformed in my lifetime.

He’ll be used as an example of how the current system of government changes people.

TheBigOldDog on February 24, 2010 at 5:38 PM

there is more here than meets the eye. First Arnolds ignorance. As Allahpundit points out the economy is not coming back anytime soon. And when the conomy does come back is capital going to be flooding into the state as business unfreindly as California?

The second half of the Tea Party is going to be a growing economy that avoids urban/democrat strongholds like the plague. Are businesses going to expand more quickly in low regulation right to work pro free market states or pro labor, hig regulation states? The answer is obvious but what is not is a political realignment that is possible. All of a sudden Republicans and their wild eyed free market ideas will look pretty good to urban minorities. When the choice is vote Democrat and starve or vote Republican and work it becomes pretty easy to hold your nose and vote Republican. That I think is the only signal that businesses will trust. If the rust belt just keeps electing tax, regulate and spend Democrats why on earth would businesses invest there? Only a political realignment will make businesses comfortable enough to invest in states like California and Ohio again.

Theworldisnotenough on February 24, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Don’t bother Arnie. He’s living in a dream world and can hardly wait to get out of Sacramento.

GarandFan on February 24, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Tea Partiers: Ah’ll be bach…………..

adamsmith on February 24, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Schwarzenegger: The tea party movement will fade when the economy comes back

Perhaps, Arnold, but when that time arrives it is certain that your political accomplishments and career will resemble a used square of eco-friendly toilet paper decomposing in a pit toilet.

ya2daup on February 24, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Anybody catch Ben Bernanke’s testimony today? He said he expects unemployment to remain high through 2012.

So even if Arnold is right, it doesn’t look like the Tea Party is going to be going away anytime soon.

AZCoyote on February 24, 2010 at 5:50 PM

He should have added “…I hope.” to the end of his statement, because it’s folks like him in trouble.

Thunderstorm129 on February 24, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Antone who believe Arnold’s take does not understand the movement.

edgehead on February 24, 2010 at 5:51 PM

ith ees abouth chobs chobs chobs

antisocial on February 24, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Arnold
I’m so ashamed I worked for your side after working on Gray Davis’ recall.
But I’m not sorry because I learned something very important .
I learned how to spot a RINO even before he / she does policy , and how dangerous people like you are .
You needed to act like a conservative to win elections. Now its over, we know you are just a muscular version McCain with an awful accent.
Mr Shriver, just go back to Maliboo
This country has been exceptionally good to you, its sad that you couldn’t return the favor.

macncheez on February 24, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Arnold has been Kennedyized by osmosis.

Wade on February 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM

When I heard Arnold say this I thought, this is the very example of why the Founders decided that the POTUS must be American born and raised. Arnold doesn’t possess American DNA. Even that dummy Axelrod is scared because he recognizes the uprising for what it really is.

Texas Gal on February 24, 2010 at 6:01 PM

This is a game of “who goes first?”, because if the economy doesn’t improve, at least in Sacramento, Schwarzenegger is going to disappear. A lot faster than the various Tea Partiers too.

MTF on February 24, 2010 at 6:07 PM

See Ahnold in ” The Douchinator”

Jeff2161 on February 24, 2010 at 6:11 PM

That reminds me, it’s time for my annual apology bouquet to Tom McClintock.

Mr. 19% approval rating has spoken.

The Ugly American on February 24, 2010 at 6:11 PM

BTW AHnold, use your family fortune to decrease Califohnias debt first.

Jeff2161 on February 24, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Let’s see who fades first.

Vashta.Nerada on February 24, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Talk about First!

Best.Comment.Evah

The Ugly American on February 24, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Arnold has been Kennedyized by osmosis.

Wade on February 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM

So that what we call it when in polite company these days ? Osmosis?

macncheez on February 24, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Arnold has been Kennedyized by osmosis.

Wade on February 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I think the organ was a little further south of osmosis.

bloviator on February 24, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Schwarzenegger: The tea party movement will fade when the economy comes back

The Tea Party movement will be in the vanguard of reviving the economy! What a total “sheis-kopf.”

J.J. Sefton on February 24, 2010 at 6:19 PM

The Austrian genius speaks……..America yawns, and the media orgasmagates.

PappyD61 on February 24, 2010 at 6:29 PM

The Tea Party movement has concluded that the economy will not come back unless the crooks are booted from DC, the Fed dismantled, and a sound money system put in place.

The Tea Party stands united on a constitutional basis, which transcends left/right, GOP/DEM. It’s for the Republic, it’s against crooks, cronies, thuggery, influence peddling, and secrecy.

Arnold is talking nonsense. More and more people know it each and every hour.

shaken on February 24, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Which economy? Califoynya?
When will that be, exactly?
Ass Clown.

JeffinOrlando on February 24, 2010 at 6:31 PM

chris999 on February 24, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Sorry Chris, but that statement is incorrect. The state economy would have to improve quite a bit before it qualified as “in the toilet”.

JusDreamin on February 24, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Greta would have had a great YouTube moment when AH-Nuld made that comment about the Tea Party movement fading when the economy comes back and she had just looked at him and said “By economic comebacks, I take it we’re not talking about California, right?”

The look on his face would have been priceless. Pure priceless.

pilamaye on February 24, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I think the organ was a little further south of osmosis.

bloviator on February 24, 2010 at 6:16 PM

6 feet under?

Okay where are the sarcastic drum beat?

upinak on February 24, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I think the organ was a little further south of osmosis.

bloviator on February 24, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Or maybe north. Do the Kennedy’s drink tea?

Wade on February 24, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Honestly, this guy is an idiot

Viper1 on February 24, 2010 at 7:05 PM

He’s right to some extent, but the real reason the tea parties started, was because people sensed a take over of their lives, and the government. They weren’t wrong. They stood up to Big Brother, and knocked him down. In a matter of time, I have no doubts, that Big Brother will be knocked down, and done in for good.

Arnold…you chose your lot, to be a rino. Deal with it, and then…shut the hell up!

capejasmine on February 24, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I didn’t know Auhnuld was into long range forecasting …

tarpon on February 24, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Ahnuld is entitled to his opinion, no matter how wrong it is.
He makes some cool movies, tho.

n0doz on February 24, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Ahnold thinks the Tea Party is motivated by anger. That’s true. But it is also motivated by knowledge of the direction the country is going and good economy or not- that won’t go away.

NTWR on February 24, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Maybe the Tea Party movement is a passing fad, but it’s more likely that the GOP will become the GOTP.

Bugler on February 24, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Ok, so there are 12 million unemployed; and we need 100,000 new jobs every month to keep up.

We’re looking like we might soon “recover” to 50,000-70,000 new jobs per month in a best case scenario. So in this “recovery” we still have more unemployed every month.

But yeah, once most of these 12 million have jobs on top of the 100,000 per month added to the workforce; then the problem probably goes away.

Does Arnold have 10 million jobs or so hidden up his sleeve? Or any possible path to getting them in the next 5-10 years? No? So this will remain a viable movement for years if not indefinitely because the “economy” won’t really be coming back now will it?

gekkobear on February 24, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Well, that’s a paradox for you, ya dumb Austrian Weinerdoofus.

The economy won’t be coming back till the Tea Party folks vote in some true conservatives to lower taxes and undo regulations.

TheSitRep on February 24, 2010 at 8:50 PM

I support the tea party and I made more money in 2009 than I have ever made. And I expect 2010 to be even better. I have no economic anxieties Aaaanold.

I do have anxieties over the fact that my unborn grandkids will live in a 3rd world banana republic if Obama isn’t stopped.

Now be a good little RINO and STFU.

angryed on February 24, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Thanks mr. obvious. You have been a great help.

tom0508 on February 24, 2010 at 9:52 PM

… but the “hate Arnie” movement will live on forever.

Kalifornia Kafir on February 24, 2010 at 10:07 PM

yeah, and tell us again about Anthropogenic Glowbull Warmening too. Fool.

Fighton03 on February 24, 2010 at 11:09 PM

It is not the tea party people who are the unemployed .

I am a Tea Partier. I was unemployed for over a year, which I spent furiously searching for a job. And my relentless effort paid off, although it’s not my dream, I’m paying my bills. We’re the people, and we’re going to fight for the survival of this Republic.

davecatbone on February 25, 2010 at 8:03 AM

But, Ahnold doesn’t know jack about America.

neurosculptor on February 24, 2010 at 4:45 PM

There are many foreign born who know America better than those born here.

You can’t make such a blanket statement based on one idiot.

MarkTheGreat on February 25, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Good lord, too much rancidness here… give Schwarzenegger a break….

ninjapirate on February 24, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Why? He’s been a complete disaster.

MarkTheGreat on February 25, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Good lord, too much rancidness here… give Schwarzenegger a break….

ninjapirate on February 24, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Let me guess. Given a choice between Palin and Arnie, you’d pick Arnie?

MarkTheGreat on February 25, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Well he agrees with us on a lot of things

ninjapirate on February 24, 2010 at 5:04 PM

Such as?

MarkTheGreat on February 25, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Texas Gal on February 24, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Pelosi and Reid were born and raised here, how well do you think they understand this country?

I know many immigrants who know, love, and understand this country much better than people who were born here and take our freedoms for granted.

MarkTheGreat on February 25, 2010 at 9:29 AM

The GOP has a choice. Appropriate those principles and become the dominant political party for many years to come, or abandon them and watch a fledgling third party sap their lifesblood. You know that’s what the Democrats want. Those of us who are proud Tea Party Patriots don’t want that. We know that a third party is a guaranteed win for Democrats into the foreseeable future, but we will not hold to a GOP that abandons the founding principles and chooses personal power through generational theft. We cannot abandon those principles just to poke a finger in the Democrat’s eyes. As long as the GOP thinks we have no place else to go, they won’t give a damn about us. If we don’t take a stand and get our hands dirty, our children will have to. I’d rather it were us.

SKYFOX on February 25, 2010 at 9:59 AM