Olby to tea partiers: End the near-total “segregation”

posted at 10:48 am on February 24, 2010 by Allahpundit

From last night’s “Countdown,” an RSVP to the Dallas Tea Party’s cordial invite. Unless I missed a memo, minorities are welcome to attend tea party rallies, mix freely as part of the crowd, and even take to the podium to speak, so either Olby doesn’t understand what “segregation” means or I don’t. Probably the latter — I am not, sad to say, a Cornell man — although I suppose he might have chosen the wrong word deliberately simply because it’s so much more politically loaded. Me and my damnable cynicism.

Anyway, this is a total letdown: Not only did the DTP not end up as worst persons in the world, this didn’t even merit special comment status. Bummer. Exit question for Mediaite: Do you really not understand why he took a shot at you here? A day after you posted this?

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Didn’t watch clip. Just had breakfast.

kurtzz3 on February 24, 2010 at 11:57 AM

“I’ve got more black friends than you do! I’ve got more black friends than you do! Because even the people who fetch my coffee and shine my shoes are my friends”
– K. Olbermann

If you’re counting guests, Glenn Beck had more black Americans on a single show than Olbermann has had on his entire MSNBC run.

But, as Beck said, they were black conservatives, so they don’t really exist. I guess they can’t be counted.

notropis on February 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM

or, again to be fair, a Speedo.

kam582 on February 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM

That’s not being fair. I know few women who are fans. I personally prefer board shorts or anything that leaves a little to the imagination.

Esthier on February 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Let me give Olbermann the time he deserves …. dee,dee, dummm, dumm,

OK, on to my next task …..

gstrickler on February 24, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Kini on February 24, 2010 at 11:56 AM

To which the Keither replied, “I know you are but where. are. they?

scalleywag on February 24, 2010 at 12:01 PM

or, again to be fair, a Speedo.

kam582 on February 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Esthier on February 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM

OK, I didn’t know that. Just so it’s not Olby in board shorts and no shirt.

kam582 on February 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM

OK, I didn’t know that. Just so it’s not Olby in board shorts and no shirt.

kam582 on February 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Do that, and you’ll just blind us all, with his pale body being the last thing we’ll ever see.

Esthier on February 24, 2010 at 12:10 PM

No, sorry. That’s a fun way to tweak him but it’s not remotely true. On a good day we pull 150,000 unique visitors in a 24-hour period. Olbermann does 700,000+ viewers in one hour. Aside from Drudge, HuffPo, and perhaps one or two others, no website remotely compares to TV programs in terms of audience.

Allahpundit on February 24, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Give it time. Broadcast TVs days are numbered. So are Keith’s.

One day we may have to see Allahpundit accepting an impressively huge media award and he’ll have to show his face in public. Do you wear a fence over the bottom half of your face, like Wilson (Ed Heineman) from Tool Time, so no one can know what you really look like?

Dude. When you reach the big times, don’t be camera shy.

Subsunk

Subsunk on February 24, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Does he understand that he’s basically just a nonstop Onion bit?

If he’s trolling, he’s magnificent. But I think he’s… gulp… serious with all this racebaiting garbage.

Metro on February 24, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I seriously cannot bring myself to listen to this man. Just thinking about clicking the play button starts the acids in my stomach to creep up my esophagus.

heatherrc77 on February 24, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Yep, Keefums ain’t got the balls to show up.

GarandFan on February 24, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Why do waist our time with this nut case anymore?

lwssdd on February 24, 2010 at 12:58 PM

I love how practically brings out the whole “but I can’t be racist, I have black friends” arguement when confronted with MSNBCs obvious racism.

phadedjaded on February 24, 2010 at 1:03 PM

AP: please ixnay on the Olby-yay posts. All the fish in the barrel have long been shot.

Bruno Strozek on February 24, 2010 at 1:16 PM

How often when a African-American attends or participates in a tea party are they accused of “acting like whitey”?

WashJeff on February 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Whom are you quoting?

As a conservative, I’ve been accused of a broad variety of transgressions. I’ve had my sense of racial pride questioned, which is fine because I take no pride in any race.

I’ve not heard anyone use the word “whitey” in context except for white people mocking hypothetical-blacks. Your point is good, your phrasing is strange.

The Race Card on February 24, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I am not, sad to say, a Cornell man

Did you need drapes or upholstery?

Cindy Munford on February 24, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Olby to tea partiers: End the near-total “segregation”

This is RICH~The MSNBC line up looks like a white supremicist march……..They only need hoods and sheets…..

HornetSting on February 24, 2010 at 1:45 PM

What an uneducated moron. Cable access sucks anyways.

jjrakman on February 24, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Whom are you quoting?

The Race Card on February 24, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I think Jeff was just pointing out that people like Olby will claim there are no black tea partiers, but when they see tea partiers, his type (those so eager to throw the R-label) are the first to, say, call someone a “coconut”.

RachDubya on February 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM

RachDubya on February 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Yeah, I got that. That’s why it’s important that he not mar his salient point with a fake-quote. It diminishes his argument to use a supposed remark ascribing racial-language to hypothetical-blacks.

Capisce?

The Race Card on February 24, 2010 at 1:57 PM

phadedjaded on February 24, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Don’t laugh too hard. That is the archetypal defense; it’s very common now among pols, pundits and blog commenters. Everyone’s doing it.

Some of my best friends are racist.

The Race Card on February 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM

The Race Card on February 24, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Here’s proof positive that the epithet is used.

unclesmrgol on February 24, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Some of my best friends are racist.

The Race Card on February 24, 2010 at 1:59 PM

You need a new set of best friends.

unclesmrgol on February 24, 2010 at 2:43 PM

unclesmrgol on February 24, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Maybe he’s from Rock Ridge.

CPL 310 on February 24, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Is Olberman relevant? No? Carry on then! LOL

capejasmine on February 24, 2010 at 3:01 PM

unclesmrgol on February 24, 2010 at 2:42 PM

LMBAO, very nice.

The Race Card on February 24, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Segregated tea parties? How does this work? All the fed-up black and Hispanic taxpayers have to stand at the back of the crowd?

Olbermann is an idiot. Tell you what, KO: We’ll “desegregate” just as soon as MSNBC does.

NoLeftTurn on February 24, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Capisce?

The Race Card on February 24, 2010 at 1:57 PM

It seemed that you genuinely didn’t see what he was getting at. I was mistaken– you just want to debate phrasing. Carry on.

RachDubya on February 24, 2010 at 3:19 PM

I would warn TPer’s from dialoguing with Olberdouche. He would love to start a “how long have you been beating your wife” dialogue. That is what he does folks. He doesn’t go back and forth honestly if you haven’t noticed. He makes up for HIS audience that doesn’t get information outside of HIM. That is how he operates.

Conan on February 24, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Tea Party to Olby: Lead by example first you idiot.

clement on February 24, 2010 at 4:55 PM

A candidate for a bitch slap if I ever saw one. ( No offense to you bitches out there.

5u93rm4n on February 24, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Olby to tea partiers: End the near-total “segregation”

You first, MSNBC.

Misogynist
Sexist
Nothing
But
Caucasians

VelvetElvis on February 24, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Can’t you just put the link on the web page without the visuals. Olby’s, Pelosi’s, and Reid’s mugs are just too hideous to watch.

elifino on February 24, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Why is this ignoramus promoted on HA? He gets more viewership on this blog than he does during his broadcast. Enough is enough. The man is a nothing, his opinion has no value. Relegate him to the scrap heap of failed ideas where he belongs. Sheesh!
Crusader Rabbit on February 24, 2010 at 10:57 AM

He’s Obama’s attack dog.
He gets his marching orders directly from the White House.
He espouses what Obama thinks, its really not more complicated than that.

DSchoen on February 24, 2010 at 5:46 PM

It was Olbermann and Maddow who were summoned to the White House recently. Why would that be? Not like President Teleprompter would be using them as a propanda arm of the White House or anything? I guess President Zero has been telling Ol’ Olbergoebbels to toss out the race card ad infinitum. Olbergoebbels has become the Chief Minister of Propaganda for the Maobama White House. He needs to change the name of the show from “Countdown” to “Winston Smith’s Memory Hole”….What a tool………..

adamsmith on February 24, 2010 at 6:03 PM

‘I have been out of New York once in the last 6 months’
BigWyo on February 24, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Seriously Olby your sick father didn’t stop you from going to all those Base Ball and Foot Ball games, it shouldn’t stop you from going to the DTP rally unless you “know’ that will be the day your father dies.

BTW, Olby, ask your father if he raised a coward?

DSchoen on February 24, 2010 at 6:07 PM

BadgerHawk on February 24, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I remember that.
Olby went to ag Cornell, an “associated collage” of the real Cornell, and his edumacation cost $800 as compared to Coulter who went to the real Cornell and her education cost $10,000.

Long time ago on the West coast, an “associated collage” to a real collage was/were known as “Junior collage

Is it the same on the East Coast, Mid West?

DSchoen on February 24, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Is it the same on the Eas down-to-earth libs like the ones FoxNews has such as Kirsten Powers, Leslie Marshall, or Doug Schoen? t Coast, Mid West?
Doughboy on February 24, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Doug Schoen needs to blow a gasket cuz they keep mispronouncing his last name!

DSchoen on February 24, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Opps strike that “t Coast, Mid West?”

DSchoen on February 24, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I would not describe something as racist simply because it does not generally appeal to Blacks. Otherwise I would have to describe the Winter Olympics as racist, or NASCAR, or country music, or Janeane Garofalo movies.

A better standard to determine if Tea Parties is in how the Blacks, or I should say minorities in general, who do participate are treated. Far from being segregated and excluded, they are welcomed with open arms. Look at the Tea Party support given to Allen West, Marco Rubio, Michael Williams, Les Phillips, and many many more.

I’m sure there are Tea Partiers who are racist (just as there are liberal journalists who are racist), but as a group, Tea Parties seem to be the opposite of racist.

DarkKnight3565 on February 24, 2010 at 9:55 PM

doubling down on the race baiting, when a mea culpa or an ignore would be the appropriate response… does anyone still watch this guy (besides conservative critics looking for opportunities to bash him)?

painfulTruthDisciple on February 24, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Dying words you will never hear: “Gosh, I wish I had watched more Keith Olbermann.”

ObjectionSustained on February 25, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Words you will never hear anyone utter before taking a 15 minute nap: “Gosh, I wish I had watched more Keith Olbermann.”

ObjectionSustained on February 25, 2010 at 12:59 AM

Words you might hear from an insomniac trying to get to sleep: “Gosh, I wish I had watched more Keith Olbermann.”

Thank you. You’ve been a great audience. Good night.

ObjectionSustained on February 25, 2010 at 1:01 AM