Bob Marshall’s disability: His mouth

posted at 10:08 am on February 23, 2010 by Danny Glover

Bob Marshall used to represent me in the Virginia House of Delegates, and that was great because he is passionate about many of the issues that matter most to me, including his support for home schooling and his opposition to abortion.

But today I was glad we moved to a neighboring district several years ago because Marshall certainly wasn’t representing my views when he said this last week:

The number of children who are born subsequent to a first abortion with handicaps has increased dramatically. Why? Because when you abort the firstborn of any, nature takes its vengeance on the subsequent children. In the Old Testament, the firstborn of every being, animal and man, was dedicated to the Lord. There’s a special punishment Christians would suggest.

Marshall quickly backtracked from his “poorly chosen words.” “No one who knows me or my record would imagine that I believe or intended to communicate such an offensive notion,” he said in a statement on his Web site. “I have devoted a generation of work to defending disabled and unwanted children, and have always maintained that they are special blessings to their parents.”

But that quote is likely to follow Marshall the rest of his career — and rightly so. Marshall referenced the Bible in his comments to the Capital News Service, so here’s a reminder of what Jesus said about men’s words in Matthew 12:

For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart. … But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment. For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.

My point isn’t that God will condemn Marshall eternally for his words because he did apologize (albeit in the “mistakes were made” way that politicians typically do). Besides, that’s not my place to suggest any more than it was for Marshall to suggest that God uses “nature” to visit the sin of the mother who aborts a child upon a future child. I’m just saying that politicians like Marshall say dumb things because in their hearts, they believe them to some extent.

The good news is that bad publicity has a way of making politicians change their hearts — and their words — once they hear how foolish they sound.

[Cross-posted at The Enlightened Redneck]

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

Yes, he’s a moron.
It’s Republicans like this that give Republicans a bad name.

Take it away, Sarah…

Abby Adams on February 23, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Dude, when did Danny Glover turn!?! Must’ve been the snow-pocalypse.

abobo on February 23, 2010 at 10:12 AM

How does this kind of crap actually exit one’s mouth? I am scared to wonder what hatred floats around in his mind that isn’t spoken.

search4truth on February 23, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Another scientific genius strikes again.

mizflame98 on February 23, 2010 at 10:19 AM

You have to wonder if politics could possibly be considered a mental disorder.

pilamaye on February 23, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Ignorance can usually be remedied by an application of knowledge.
Stupid is, however, usually fatal.

Crusader Rabbit on February 23, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Replace “politicians like Marshall” with “religious people” and you’ve got it right.

When you believe dumb things you tend to say dumb things.

Jaynie59 on February 23, 2010 at 10:25 AM

It’s hard to believe that Rep. Marshall has never heard about the word “macaca”. I swear I think D.C. makes people crazy.

Cindy Munford on February 23, 2010 at 10:26 AM

We are so quick to condemn, and so loathe to forgive.
His good works are thrown down the drain with him, I suppose. They seem to be quickly forgotten, in the wild rush to damn him, for this one statement.

Has he a history to substantiate such condemnation?

Excuse me while I wait and see.

donh525 on February 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Well, that’s about up there with Reid’s idiotic remarks about how men abuse more when out of work, but women aren’t abusive. LOL*

I agree. DC makes them foolish.

AnninCA on February 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM

When you believe dumb things you tend to say dumb things.

Jaynie59 on February 23, 2010 at 10:25 AM

And you post demonstrates this perfectly.

uknowmorethanme on February 23, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Jaynie59 on February 23, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Your religion seems to involve hatred of people in other religions.

jgapinoy on February 23, 2010 at 10:31 AM

So why did you say such an offensive notion.

Not to mention, is there any peer reviewed scientific evidence for the idea? By scientists willing to share their data.

rbj on February 23, 2010 at 10:32 AM

When you believe dumb things you tend to say dumb things.

Jaynie59 on February 23, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Says Hot Airs’ newest and most clueless troll.

donh525 on February 23, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Who?

Midas on February 23, 2010 at 10:38 AM

It’s nonsense like this that drives me nuts. Whatever happened to thinking before speaking. Way too much verbal diarreah.

Check Bryan Fischer in the headlines for mor of the same.

katy the mean old lady on February 23, 2010 at 10:41 AM

When you believe dumb things you tend to say dumb things.

Jaynie59 on February 23, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Did you have a comment Jaynie, or are you just here to be offensive?

JusDreamin on February 23, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Wow.

Lots of “first stone” casters around today.

exsanguine on February 23, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Wow.

Lots of “first stone” casters around today.

exsanguine on February 23, 2010 at 10:45 AM
—————-

Axelrod must have distributed his cache of HotAir registrations to his minions.

uknowmorethanme on February 23, 2010 at 10:49 AM

It is certainly true that his comment was a non-PC one.

How many of those who have had abortions are not ever able to conceive again? Is it God or nature? I don’t know.

Uh oh, we have a libtard posting articles now.

Kermit on February 23, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Uh oh, we have a libtard posting articles now.

Kermit on February 23, 2010 at 10:49 AM

If he would have said, “Having an abortion can cause internal damage that can prevent women from carrying a subsequent pregnacy to term or at all” then we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.

He injected religion into his comments, and that is the source of the scorn.

uknowmorethanme on February 23, 2010 at 10:51 AM

rbj on February 23, 2010 at 10:32 AM

You mean like AGW?

TugboatPhil on February 23, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Has he a history to substantiate such condemnation?

donh525 on February 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Apparently his mother does.

ChrisB on February 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM

He injected religion into his comments, and that is the source of the scorn.

uknowmorethanme on February 23, 2010 at 10:51 AM

No, he injected a personal and offensive point of view.

katy the mean old lady on February 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM

No, he injected a personal and offensive point of view.

katy the mean old lady on February 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM
___________________

Grounded in his faith. He could have taken the same view, omitted his self-recognized connection to God’s vengence, and all would have been fine.

uknowmorethanme on February 23, 2010 at 11:06 AM

There’s a special punishment Christians would suggest.

I hear stuff like this and I say, “Who is we, paleface??”

I and the other Christians I run with would never suggest such a thing. This guy needs to get out more. Ears open, mouth closed, Bobby!

CurtZHP on February 23, 2010 at 11:26 AM

uknowmorethanme on February 23, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Don’t know how you roll, but I have a merciful God.

katy the mean old lady on February 23, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Cindy Munford on February 23, 2010 at 10:26 AM

AnninCA on February 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Bob Marshall is a Delegate from Loudoun and Fauquier counties to the Virginia General Assembly, NOT a Congressman. In this case, DC has nothing to do with pickling his brain, he must have had too strong a dose of Pat Robertson because that’s exactly who his comments remind me of.
Repent, Bob! You’re providing fodder for the Wacko Liberals and every little complaint they have is magnified by repetition in the MSM! Get a clue or retire!

ExpressoBold on February 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM

It might be that the brutal process of ripping an unborn child out of the womb designed by nature or God to protect and nurture the child damages the ability of that womb to nurture later children.

From a political point of view, Marshall should have referenced some scientific studies that might have pointed to higher incidence of birth defects or miscarriages in women who have had abortions, rather than some Old Testament writing about sins of the mother being inflicted on her later children.

If a politician wants to use the Bible to deplore abortion, there are four words with which most civilized people agree: “Thou shalt not kill.”

Steve Z on February 23, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Oooooh the whole earth is waiting for Palin’s facebook haiku on this moron’s career-ending idiocy.

Dave Rywall on February 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Dave Rywall on February 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Hey Dave! Good to see you back! We were all afraid that the Olympic hockey loss had depressed your typing skills.

katy the mean old lady on February 23, 2010 at 12:00 PM

This proves that Palin had an abortion before she had Trig. Wait, no… Bristol had Trig. Wait, no… I’m a buffoon.

–Sincerely, A. Sullivan

Abby Adams on February 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM

He injected religion into his comments, and that is the source of the scorn.

uknowmorethanme on February 23, 2010 at 10:51 AM

That kinda shows how off-base your outrageous outrage is, don’t you think? Most people would challenge him on the theology (whether God is merciful or vengeful) or on the facts (does abortion really harm subsequent children), and pro-abortion types would angrily accuse him of wanting to limit “a woman’s right to choose”. I think it’s safe to say that the fact he has religion is not the primary criticism.

Perhaps the real reason you criticize him is because you’re pro-abortion and this comes close to a real-world example of the myth that pro-lifers are judgmental religious nuts.

joe_doufu on February 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM

This would be nive except for the fact that the media pillory is controlled by the folks with an insane lefty agenda. And..we are so brainwashed that goofy lefty stuff just sounds sweet and a little strong to us.

Local lefty loons make comments all the time with little opporbrium.

IlikedAUH2O on February 23, 2010 at 12:34 PM

opprobrium = opporbrium Sorry.

IlikedAUH2O on February 23, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Bob Marshall was almost the 2008 Republican nominee for Senate in Virginia. He ran in the primary for the US Senate seat that was being vacated by John Warner. Marshall ran in the primary against former VA Gov. Jim Gilmore and came within 200 votes of capturing the nomination.

Later, after the primary, I did some campaigning around Gainesville, VA for McCain/Palin, the House candidate, and Jim Gillmore. Bob Marshall showed up as a campaign volunteer as well. He made a little speech to the volunteers before we headed out and then drove a few of us around in his car while we knocked on doors. He struck me as kind of strange at the time and even though Jim Gilmore was a weak Senate candidate, after spending the day with Marshall, I was glad that he was not the nominee.

This is the first time I have heard anything of Marshall since we campaigned together that day. It seems my suspicions about him have been confirmed. I’m as pro-life as they come, but he chose the wrong way to make the case.

Christianity is about redemption and forgiveness, not about second born children paying some kind of price for parents’ decision to abort a firstborn. This guy is off his rocker.

t.ferg on February 23, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I always wonder though… are 45 million abortions okay with a God who will not be mocked?

CCRWM on February 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Besides, that’s not my place to suggest any more than it was for Marshall to suggest…

Dude. Those are weasel words. And they’re even more weasel-like than the ones you condemn.

Guess what. Mote. Log. Get it?

pabarge on February 23, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Dave Rywall on February 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM

You’ll have to head over to Keith Olbermann first. I believe his meme is “conservative implies Palin had abortion”.

unclesmrgol on February 23, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Who cares? Those guys mumble religious nonsense but I could care less because people like Marshall are passionate about issues. They say their pro life piece and then talk about eminent domain and his own challenges to its application, among other important issues so who cares?

Frankly you’d have to be dumb enough to worship skygods to go against the establishment GOP in Virginia. Marshall didn’t play ball and almost took the Senate nomination from Gilmore at the convention a few years ago, lost by a very small amount in a weighted district vote. Marshall has a potent organization with lots of supporters. I’d bet he is very involved in Tea Parties in those regions.

LevStrauss on February 23, 2010 at 6:28 PM