Video: Miracle Improbability on ice!

posted at 1:10 pm on February 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

An instant classic to cleanse the palate on the 30th anniversary of the miracle at Lake Placid. You can watch all eight goals here but Mediaite’s got the clip of the only one you need — Ryan Kesler’s diving empty-netter with less than a minute left to kill Canada’s comeback and put the game away. As of last night, the U.S. hadn’t beaten Canada on Olympic ice since 1960 (they didn’t play in 1980); as of this morning, they’re the number-one seed in the elimination round and the host country’s on track for an unlikely, unwelcome showdown with Russia in the quarterfinals. Both were expected to medal but now one won’t even make the semis. If Russia knocks them off, expect mass suicides up north.

The star for Team America: Goalie Ryan Miller, who sometimes looked like he was playing Canada by himself. Exit admission: As amazing as the game was, my heart still belongs to curling.

Update: America’s most famous hockey mom rejoices.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

This was such a great game, it literally knocked me out of my chair (an old platform rocker whose spring decided to snap as I celebrated the Kesler goal)

Rbastid on February 22, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Or maybe Wranglers & boots & hat are OK-but no SHIRT.
Boy my husband is gonna be happy with me when he gets home!

Badger40 on February 22, 2010 at 1:50 PM

That is Okay, he won’t mind *wink*

upinak on February 22, 2010 at 1:52 PM

upinak on February 22, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I would run to Australia if I were you. Make sure you have a good pair of shoes and a trusty ship with a treadmill so the running can contiue uninterrupted.

alohapundit on February 22, 2010 at 1:52 PM

“Miracle on Ice part two?”

Come on guys, this is not even close. NHLers playing NHLers – an upset for sure, but nothing like a miracle. Now a team of U.S. college players beating that Canadian team would be Miracle part two.

GCM on February 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM

That was a hell of a game. Good and physical, and exciting as any hockey game I’ve seen (which, admittedly, being in New England and being cursed with Jeremy Jacobs’ Bruins isn’t much).

crazy_legs on February 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Capitalist Infidel on February 22, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Actually the Soviet Team screwed up just as bad in ’80. Coach Tikhonov took Soviet Goalie Tretiak, who was perhaps the best in the world at that time with backup goalie Myshkin after Tikhonov allowed two pucks to get into the net.

Holger on February 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM

alohapundit on February 22, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Isn’t Hawaii on the way down under?

Be prepared oh aloha-ian!

upinak on February 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I’m not reading the comments, and assuming I’m posting what others have already posted….

A team of NHL pros doesn’t have the same excitement as a bunch of college players pulling together and beating a Russian team of what was essentially professionals. A team that went through the NHL like a buzz saw, except for the Flyers, who bullied them into submission. The win last night was great, but there’s something missing.

RWLA on February 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM

BohicaTwentyTwo on February 22, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Yah you are right, I met a girl in Victoria once. She could’ve made a pinball wizard say “oh” and give away that he really wasn’t even deaf, dumb, or blind…

alohapundit on February 22, 2010 at 1:56 PM

upinak on February 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Yep, on the way and we even have better Mai-Tai’s

Aloha!

alohapundit on February 22, 2010 at 1:57 PM

If Russia knocks them off, expect mass suicides up north.

My Canadian friends assure me that they weren’t too optimistic with the team they iced — Crosby is overrated; a great player, sure, but not a team player. He did nothing in the Stanley Cup finals last year — it was their fourth line that saved them. I think the team would have fared better to include some players noted for their team-working potential, and not for their star value alone.

I’d be surprised if Canada finishes in the top five — which should put the Crosby myth to an end.

Richard Romano on February 22, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I was wondering when Allahpundit, the man from the land where amateur hockey is a religion, would post something about last night’s game.

This was such a richly satisfying win that words do not suffice. Yes, had Ryan Miller been merely excellent in goal we probably don’t win that game, but you still have to say that the US deserved to win. Kesler’s goal was probably the best EN goal I’ve ever seen; good ole American hard work. And beyond that the Yanks were opportunistic, hit hard (despite giving up plenty of size), and were blocking shots like nothing doing at the end. Kudos especially to Rochester’s Ryan Callahan on that score. It was all hands on deck for the US and they were full marks for the win.

This sets us up very nicely going forward. We’ll likely play a rematch against the Swiss in the quarters, whom we’ve already defeated once, while either Russia or the Canucks will be gone on the same day. I will still be very satisfied with even a bronze but a silver or gold looks more possible today than I’d have dared hope for a week ago.

The best part is that this is the first go-around for this US team. We’ve got the youngest squad in the Olympics and I figured this would be just a good tune-up for 2014. Now we beat Canada, on their home ice, just weeks after our juniors won gold against Canada in Saskatchewan? Somebody pinch me.

KGB on February 22, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Update: America’s most famous hockey mom rejoices.

So, she wasn’t offended by that man taking advantage of that defenceless, empty net?

YYZ on February 22, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Isn’t Hawaii on the way down under?

Be prepared oh aloha-ian!

upinak on February 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Ah you Hawiians should be gearing up for the Arctic weather! You’re headed for the Aleutian Trench!
In another Ga-zillion years.

Badger40 on February 22, 2010 at 2:08 PM

“Crosby is overrated; a great player, sure, but not a team player”

Known outside of Pittsburgh as Syndey Crosby.

GCM on February 22, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Badger40 on February 22, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Kind of like people in Nevada buying ocean front property!

upinak on February 22, 2010 at 2:11 PM

What a game! Ryan Miller is a godsend.
I got a little misty-eyed when the crowd started chanting “U-S-A” out of that sea of red jerseys.

Rafalski was getting a little hot in the games leading up to the Olympics, but talk about busting out! (I hope he can stay this way after the games because the Wings could really use a boost right a round now.)

Go USA!

I ♥ curling a lot, too, and watching it every day has inspired me to join a club here in MA.

racecar05 on February 22, 2010 at 2:16 PM

“Crosby is overrated; a great player, sure, but not a team player”

Known outside of Pittsburgh as Syndey Crosby.

A friend of mine was in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago and told me she was shocked to find out that Pittsburgh has a rather large gay community. I told her, “Yeah, they’re called the PENGUINS!”

OOOHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RWLA on February 22, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I enjoyed watching Team USA beat Canada in hockey, but these are mostly NHL all stars on both sides, not some college kids taking on the Soviet Red Army Hockey Team.

Mr. Joe on February 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM

It was so exciting! I loved every minute of it, I also liked gloating to my friends up north about it too after :)

nwpammy on February 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Kind of like people in Nevada buying ocean front property!

upinak on February 22, 2010 at 2:11 PM

LOL!
Just wait & see-they’ll be sitting pretty in millions of years when the next suprcontinent makes their edge of the Basin & Range the next beach of a new OCEAN!
That kind of foresight takes REAL planning!

Badger40 on February 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM

If we could just combine whatever Hannah Teter is smoking with curling (say chugging a beer or doing a shot evertime a stone goes into one of the rings), whe would have a hell of a game for us viewers.

Mr. Joe on February 22, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Badger40 on February 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM

LOL the generations of folly to have “The Best” land!

upinak on February 22, 2010 at 2:22 PM

A Canadian Friend of mine expressed worries over Miller (becuase he is such a good golie) before the Olympics. His worries were justified.

Mr. Joe on February 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM

…put the Crosby myth to an end.

Richard Romano on February 22, 2010 at 1:58 PM

One can only hope.

racecar05 on February 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM

“Crosby is overrated; a great player, sure, but not a team player”
Known outside of Pittsburgh as Syndey Crosby.
GCM on February 22, 2010 at 2:08 PM

well. Don’t forget how young the kid is. He may not be Lemieux or Gretzky but he really is an incredible player. With the amount of talent in the NHL today it’s much more difficult than it was years back for individuals to stand out.

Zetterson on February 22, 2010 at 2:27 PM

In another Ga-zillion years.

Badger40 on February 22, 2010 at 2:08 PM

But Al Gore says it’s the sea rising, are you saying he’s wrong?

aceinstall on February 22, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Great game! Enjoyed every minutes of it.

Problem was: My tv has never been on MSNBC more than 30 seconds at a time, so it kept changing channels on its own.

… and is a huge curling fan? Ok, it’s official: AP is Andy Levy, or they are twins separated at birth.

JRDFLA on February 22, 2010 at 2:32 PM

CyberCipher on February 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Missed that editorial headline. Is kind of over the top. How hard is it to write “Miracle”?

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Am I seeing things? Did AP just update the headline with Miracle?

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I honestly didn’t read it as Allah the Atheist refusing to write the word miracle (and I’m one to attribute all sorts of nastiness to atheist, just because ;) ).

To me, it seemed like he was recognizing what others here have mentioned, while the win was great and was very much unexpected, an NHL on NHL CA/US slug fest in the semis does not quite rise to the same level as an amateur US hockey team beating the pro-Russian team during the height of the Cold War for the GOLD.

It wasn’t a refusal to write ‘miracle’ as much as a refusal to diminish the grandness of “The Miracle on Ice”.

JadeNYU on February 22, 2010 at 2:33 PM

But Al Gore says it’s the sea rising, are you saying he’s wrong?
aceinstall on February 22, 2010 at 2:28 PM

YAH! You betcha!
Gore has no concept of plate tectonics.
I think he flunked that in the 8th grade.
After all, he really though the Earth’s core temp could reach millions of degrees!LOL!

Badger40 on February 22, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Canada seemed to own the second and third periods.At one point in the third period, with both teams at full strength, it seemed like the US was never going to get the puck out of its end. I was sure that Canada was going to tie the game. I am still amazed that Team US won. Wow, what a game to watch. Best hockey game ever.

Old Fritz on February 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM

If Canada goes down to Germany, now that would prompt mass suicides.

Mr. Joe on February 22, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Ice rasslin.

Akzed on February 22, 2010 at 2:42 PM

“Crosby is overrated; a great player, sure, but not a team player”
Known outside of Pittsburgh as Syndey Crosby.
GCM on February 22, 2010 at 2:08 PM

…put the Crosby myth to an end.

Richard Romano on February 22, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Oh good grief. Philly and Caps fans are pretty lonely in thinking this way because most of the rest of the hockey world knows better. Crosby is great team player. We’ll see what happens in the Russia game, but it’s tough to argue with this.

forest on February 22, 2010 at 2:50 PM

I was a Crosby doubter his first couple years in the league, but at this point it’s grossly unfair to say the guy doesn’t have a heart and isn’t a team player. Even in these Olympics, he’s been the one guy on Canada who has given it his all on every shift and seems to understand how important it all is.

I’d still start my dream team with Ovechkin, but Crosby’s defintely 1A.

KGB on February 22, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I wasn’t able to watch the game, but I sure am happy with the outcome!

That said, I’m sending out big cyber-hugs of consolation to our Canadian buddies* on Hot Air. I gather that it was a good, clean game, well played on both sides, and as a non-rabid sports fan, I think that’s what’s important.

* (Except for DRywall, who gets a great big NEENER NEENER NEE-NER!!!) :-)

Mary in LA on February 22, 2010 at 2:59 PM

In your face, Rywall!

U-S-A! U-S-A!

NoDonkey on February 22, 2010 at 3:02 PM

As a Canadian, thanks for the hugs. I loved the game. It was made of awesome. The US did a great job and the goalie was incredible.

I just love watching a truly good game so I was happy with this one.

And considering what total a-holes my family has been about this, frankly, we Canucks deserved it.

mjk on February 22, 2010 at 3:21 PM

In another Ga-zillion years.

Badger40 on February 22, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Nah, actually southern California is going to end up there, after waving at Alaska as it wizzes by at a mm per year, and after the Juan de Fuca plate does it’s thingy and dumps Seattle in the drink. That will put a bit of spin on the Pacific plate so what is now north in Hawaii will be west. That ought to confuse them.

Yoop on February 22, 2010 at 3:29 PM

They did a segment last night about the “miracle on ice” with three of the former players giving background, and it still puts chills up the spine. It’s a moment most of us can relate to and how we felt at the time it happened. One of the greatest olympic moments ever, if not the greatest!

silvernana on February 22, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Canada sucks. The Canadian government has plunked down $120 million on the Own the Podium program, and shut out foreigners from competition venues for training. For that, God punishes Canucks with a pathetic showing at these Games. Note to Canada: Trying =/= Winning.

Apologetic California on February 22, 2010 at 3:51 PM

“Miracle on Ice part two?”

GCM on February 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I would tend to concur.

BobAnthony on February 22, 2010 at 3:57 PM

It’s a moment most of us can relate to and how we felt at the time it happened.

silvernana on February 22, 2010 at 3:41 PM

I posted this memory in the headline thread this morning:

Ah, the memories. Still give me a shivery thrill.

I was on a flight from Minneapolis to Denver on that day in 1980. The pilot kept breaking in to update the score as the game progressed.

When he announced, with a bit of a quiver in his voice, the final score it was the first time I had ever seen a standing, cheering ovation in a DC-9.

It. Was. Awesome.

Yoop on February 22, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Apologetic California on February 22, 2010 at 3:51 PM

LOL. I told one of my cousins that that is why I’m not cheering for my own country at all. I think this whole Vancouver spectacle exhibits Canada’s poor sportsmanship and childishness.

The Calgary games, we may have won a measly 5 (I believe) medals, but I can guarantee that I enjoyed those Olympics more because we were appreciative of all of the medals.

I hope Germany wins on Tuesday and if not, I hope Russia hands Canada’s a** to them. Seriously.

The Olympics is not a time for d**k measuring. And judging by the poor treatment Gretzky got at the hands of Canadians, apparently we really do suck.

mjk on February 22, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Hockey’s the only team sport where one player can win a championship – the goalie. If a goalie is, as they say in places that know hockey, standing on his head, you could be the 1972 Canadians assisted by Rocket and Gordie and you’d still lose. Last night the Canada team took almost twice as many shots as the US team. So if Ryan Miller is hot, the US will win Gold.

As a hockey fan, particularly as a Detroit hockey fan, the Olympic tourney is a treat. Every game I’ve watched had players with local ties. Brian Rafalski, who scored 2 yesterday, not only plays for the Red Wings, he grew up in the Detroit area.

The Red Wings’ captain, Nicklas Lidstrom, is the captain of the Swedish team. Steve Yzerman, former captain and now VP of the Wings is in charge of the Canadian team. The Red Wings are perhaps the most international team in professional sports (including Soccer). There are Russians, Swedes, Canadians, Americans, Czechs and Finns that play for Detroit. The Red Wings may be more popular in Sweden than the Swedish national team.

I found myself doing something I’d never done before, cheered for the Russian team. Pavel Datsyuk, a Red Wing star, and Sergei Federov (the most talented player I’ve ever seen, and I saw Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr play – BTW, Gretsky and Crosby will never be as good as Gordie. Gretsky was a pansy – the league let the Oilers hire a goon like McTavish to be Gretsky’s personal bodyguard. The NHL protected Gretsky, calling penalties for clean hits. Crosby also doesn’t have much toughness. Talent for sure).

Steve Yzerman never got the kind of press that Gretsky and Mario Lemieux got, and Crosby gets, even though his talent was on par with all of them. When the team needed it, Yzerman completely changed his game from a 50 goal scorer to a defensive minded center who back checked, played the penalty kill and laid down to block shots. When did Gretsky ever take one for the team?

rokemronnie on February 22, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Which was more impressive? 1980.

Would 1980 have been as impressive if it had been Canada beating the USSR? No.

Does that Canada/USA hockey ‘pecking order’ still apply, especially in the minds of Canadian hockey fans? Yes

Do Canadian Hockey fans therefore feel every bit as humiliated today as Russian hockey fans felt after the 1980 game? You betcha!

Knott Buyinit on February 22, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Might havE been something if it were amateurs

Sonosam on February 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Knott Buyinit on February 22, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Meh. I’m a Canadian. I’m a hockey fan. I’m not humiliated at all. Then again, I do have a life outside of watching hockey so perhaps that’s why.
It was a great game. I really enjoyed it. They should have pulled Brodeur at the end of the first period, but whatever.

mjk on February 22, 2010 at 4:36 PM

You Americans sell yourselves short, you have some great players.

The Canadians have been sluggish too often in this tournament but in the late game you could see them come alive but too late. We should get by Germany and then face Russia Wednesday. Now that will be an exciting game for Canadians as we always view that matchup as an almost religious duty to kick Russias as*. 1972 looms large in every contest between the two. If we can get past them we may well meet you in the final. We will want blood: ) But if we lose to Russia and you meet them in the final I’ll be rooting for you.

BL@KBIRD on February 22, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Yeah, OK. It’s pro’s, not amateurs. I get that. But given what it was, it was a great game to watch! It was everything that the yearly “all-star” game should be, but never actually is.

Kind of puts the lie to the “purist” complaints about how there should be more skill and less hitting. There was no shortage of skill out there last night, but no one backed off a check either. Anyone who’s heart wasn’t in their throats during those final minutes before the empty net goal (and even afterwards) should be checked for a pulse.

bofh on February 22, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Today, the Canadian Curling team beat the Americans 7-2.

Thought you’d like to know.

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM

As amazing as the game was, my heart still belongs to curling.

Good God, you are beneath beta-male. That’s practically she-male.

lionheart on February 22, 2010 at 4:53 PM

As a Wings fan born in Pittsburgh, let me weigh in on Crosby, Team Canada, The Ruskies and last night’s game.

Crosby is a fantastic individual and team player. He’s tied with Ove for the league lead in goals, and he’s the baby faced captain of the defending SC champs. Nuff said.

Team’s Canada and KGB suffer from the same malady..too many chiefs, not enough indians. Lines 3 and 4 are your ‘match up’ and ‘muck’ lines, but neither team has role players suited to those lines.

Last night’s game wasn’t even close to the Miracle on Ice game…that’s the top athletic upset in my lifetime. That being said, it was a great game. Miller stood on his head and outplayed Marty Brodour..no easy feat. And what can you say about Rafalski? Guts..the guy has guts.

DrW on February 22, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Good God, you are beneath beta-male. That’s practically she-male.

lionheart on February 22, 2010 at 4:53 PM

dude, have you seen the russion women’s curling team? they are beyond hot..they threaten to melt the curling rink.

exit question: how much would you pay to see women’s curling if the players wore swimsuits?

DrW on February 22, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Good Lord.

Allahpundit has roused himself to post prior to 5pm for a few days in a row. Not only that but he’s actually posted more than 4 times between 5pm and 8pm for several days in a row. He’s actually making a contribution!

I wonder what could have caused that.

Dwilkers on February 22, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Today, the Canadian Curling team beat the Americans 7-2.

Thought you’d like to know.

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM

My collie says:

Oh no, I am SOOO humiliated.

CyberCipher on February 22, 2010 at 5:04 PM

JadeNYU on February 22, 2010 at 2:33

Small point, but USA over USSR was for the right to play in the Gold Medal game. The US side still had to defeat Finland for the Gold.

That takes nothing away from what the 1980 team. Last nights game was lots of fun to watch, though I do feel bad for Stevie Y and Mike Babcock.

25or6to4 on February 22, 2010 at 5:19 PM

rokemronnie on February 22, 2010 at 4:04 PM

Sooo… your point is what? In Gretzky’s heyday, it was rare for anyoneto lay down in front of shots – goalies included. Gretzy was regularly targeted for cheap shots and, no, the league did not “protect” him – so he took plenty for the team. Ironically, the league started calling penalties far more often in the post-Gretzky era.

Speaking of MacT being hired to protect Gretzky – are you high? They only played on the same team for three seasons and they were both Centers. How was MacTavish protecting Gretzky from the bench?

Bottom line; Yzerman, Gretzky, Howe – all great players. But only one of them changed how the game is played. And his name ain’t Howe or Yzerman.

landshark on February 22, 2010 at 5:24 PM

I believe the hockey expert is thinking Marty McSorley (sp.?)….
And considering that Lindros and Lemieux are about 6 foot 4 inches, I doubt they needed much protection from anyone. That’s why their careers were so short.
Gretzky was the greatest player to ever strap on the skates. He wasn’t physical, but man, was he ever fast and smart. I miss watching him. He was magic on the ice.

mjk on February 22, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Allah:
Thanks for the O/T nod to curling. I’ve been a closet curling geek every four years. It’s hard to describe to others, but when I explain to others that it would also be an awesome drinking game (as are darts and tabletop shuffleboard) they become receptive.
I’ve been enjoying the discussion with @AndyLevy on teh Twitter. Sadly, this post gives me some sense that I am now somehow included in your conversation.

mjk on February 22, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Tom_OC on February 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Gretzky was great for the NHL and the league knew it. Yes officials called any minor hit on 99 a penalty. Semenko and later McSorley were there to keep anyone off of Gretzky. McSorley was even part of the Kings trade because Wayne wanted him.

Gretzky did a lot to change how the NHL game was played. Probably more than any single player with the possible exception of Bobby Orr.

But as for the USA Canada game Miller was great. Team USA had huge problems getting out of the Zone and without a stellar game from the goaltender they would have been destroyed

jpmn on February 22, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Do’h!!

mjk on February 22, 2010 at 5:38 PM

You are correct about McSorley (even the spelling). Long before the AGW climate change charade he was known for THE fraudulent hockey stick. As a Kings fan in 1993 I was heartbroken.
As far as your assessment of Gretzky, I don’t think he was known for extraordinary speed, which made his accomplishments even more impressive due to his knowledge and vision of the game.

Of course now I’m a Ducks fan. Kings fans still waitin’ for that cup.

Tom_OC on February 22, 2010 at 6:01 PM

How can the games have the same level of value when the teams are comprised of professional hockey players who are playing with teammates from other teams during the Olympics, then back to their regular professional team while not competing in the Olympics?

The same with Basketball. The players are all professionals. When pros started playing on other nation’s teams they began to beat US amateurs comprised of college players. The US got wise real fast and started putting pros into the game in the Olympics. Come one! Trying to showcase the talents of the best amateur athletes in the world was one of the valuable and meaningful experiences of the Olympics. A few decades ago, the Soviet Union’s athletes were all in the Army and supported, which translates into, they were “professional athletes” whose sole job was to train and win Olympic medals, whereas US athletes were often on their own, with less support.

Question: Do readers here think the US Hockey team will take it all?

Question 2: Have US Athletes been booed or abused during this Olympics, as some US athletes, such as the US Soccer Team, have endured in stadiums in foreign nations?

Question 3: Who will win the Gold in Olympic games men’s hockey?

Question 4: Who will win the Silver in men’s Olympic hockey?

Question 5: Will the US medal in hockey, and if so, which medal?

William2006 on February 22, 2010 at 7:28 PM

we always view that matchup as an almost religious duty to kick Russias as*.

BL@KBIRD on February 22, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Woo-hoo! That makes me smile just thinking about it. Go, Canada, go! Wipe the rink with the Russkies! (Yes, that means that the gold medal game may end up with USA v. Canada, but I agree with you that beating the Russians is a sacred duty.) :-)

Mary in LA on February 22, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Richard Romano on February 22, 2010 at 1:58 PM

This is why the US team is doing so well. Several years ago USA hockey decided they would actively use the U17/U18/U20 junior teams to develop teamwork and talent for the Olympic team. This year players that put in time at the Junior level (like Parise and Kessel) got preferance over more talented pros because they would and have worked together in the past (eventhough in the case of Kessel and Parise they played for for U of Minn. and UND (think USA/USSR)).
IMHO this year was suposed to be the first year of validation for the new policy as a work up to 2014. It seems to be working extemely well so far. They gave up too many odd man rushes against the Swiss, but seemed to have settled down and Miller is standing on his head.

cobrakai99 on February 22, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Take off, frostback hosers! I’m so proud of our American boys. If the Russians knock off the Canadians, we will hear the wailing all the way down here in the lower 48. Canada outshot the US 45 to 23 and still lost. Way to go, Canuckleheads.

Philly on February 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM

As a Canadian, I want Obama to redistribute the goals score by the US team during this game !

At least, he should apologize.

Antagonist on February 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM

The divine intervention on ice?

I think I just shot Marvin in the face!

abobo on February 23, 2010 at 12:19 AM