Tea partiers to MSNBC: Your all-white lineup is cordially invited to experience our diversity

posted at 2:53 pm on February 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

Cheeky fun at Olbermann’s expense courtesy of the Dallas Tea Party and Katrina Pierson, who once issued a similar challenge to Janeane “This is racism, straight up” Garofalo. Having called out Olby this morning for his nonsense about James O’Keefe, though, we’re even more obliged than usual to get the facts right. MSNBC’s anchor line-up isn’t entirely white — Tamron Hall co-anchors during the afternoon with Shuster — and there are several black contributors, as Olby himself took care to note recently:

Lester Holt was our primary anchor at MSNBC until ‘04 or so, and he got promoted to NBC. And Alison Stewart had her own show and was my primary back-up (we got somebody named Rachel something to replace her), and then she went to raise a family (and do NPR for awhile) and now she’s back part-time as Rachel’s back-up, and Tamron is one of my back-ups and co-anchored her own two-hour political show in the afternoon, and you mentioned Christina Brown (call her “Christine” at your peril), and Carlos Watson had his own show (and that didn’t work out very well for anybody, as will occasionally happen), and Gene Robinson is with me whenever he can spare the time (and is in the studio for all our long-form political coverage, and I try to glue him to the seat next to mine), and we get Clarence Page on whenever we can, and really we do as much astronomy as we do only because Derrick Pitts is so damn good, and somebody upthread mentioned Melissa Harris-Lacewell, and Paul Mooney used to come on for political comment. I’m not satisfied with this as the status quo, but I did want to balance the picture as much as it can be. And suddenly this got me thinking, I wonder if Derrick has ever thought about politics and tv…

So there’s me being fairer to him than he’d be to you. Enjoy the clip, which should earn Pierson a prominent mention in tonight’s recitation of Keith’s enemies list, a.k.a. the “worst person in the world” segment.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Glass houses comes to mind.

tarpon on February 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM

As an American of Puerto Rican decent who is a Tea Partier, I say, IT’S ABOUT TIME!!!

nazarioj001 on February 22, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Ah yes, the famous liberal strategy of “I can’t be racist, here’s a list of every vaguely ethnic person I’ve interacted with in the past 10 years!”

In others words, MSNBC is so not racist, they even have PEOPLE OF COLOR on their network! They even let them go outside without an armed guard sometimes!

Good Solid B-Plus on February 22, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Mr. Olbermann sounds worried.

Cindy Munford on February 22, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Loved the video – great stuff!

They didn’t stoop to Olbermann’s level at all but did it with class and aplomb.

Keep up the good work Tea Party folk!!

As for you Olbermann – get off your lily-white butt – go meet them and see what America looks like. . . .

karra on February 22, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Glass houses comes to mind.

tarpon on February 22, 2010 at 3:32 PM

In MSNBC’s case, Porcelain houses.

Good Solid B-Plus on February 22, 2010 at 3:33 PM

In MSNBC’s case, Porcelain houses.

Good Solid B-Plus on February 22, 2010 at 3:33 PM

ZING!

darii on February 22, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Tamron Hall could not be reached for comment.

crr6 on February 22, 2010 at 3:11 PM

So, you searched and searched and found a single non-white person who is allowed to co-host at MSNBC, as long as the headliner is a white guy.

notropis on February 22, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Too funny. PMSNBC sports several of the whitest people on the face of the earth, from piglike Schultz and pasty-faced Olbermann to ghostly Andrea Mitchell and Aryan Chris Matthews.

Unforgivably White.

Jaibones on February 22, 2010 at 3:38 PM

In his desperation for an audience, Keith Olbermann long ago crossed over from the arena of hype and hyperbole and into the fever swamp of hysterics and straight-up lies.

As such, he merits no further analysis.

Doorgunner on February 22, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I was parsing that as, “What are you, Keith Olbermann stupid?”

As in, there’s stupid, then there’s really stupid, then there’s Keith Olbermann stupid…

Mary in LA on February 22, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Hahaha. Do they make brain levels that low?

“Why not make level one a little stupider, and just call that level one?”

“But these go to Keith Olbermann.”

Abby Adams on February 22, 2010 at 3:39 PM

That was great! Kudos to the Dallas folk.

Olberman may not show, but I wonder if I could make it out? Hmmmm.

Ordinary1 on February 22, 2010 at 3:39 PM

I SEE WHITE PEOPLE!!! THEY ARE ALL AT MSPMS.MSNBC

la.rt.wngr on February 22, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Hat is off to the Dallas Tea Party!

In fact, I am very impressed with the whole “Texas Tea” movement, seems like they have it together, well done!

JusDreamin on February 22, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Instead of asking TeaPsters why are there so few minorities at the Tea Party, they should be asking minorities why aren’t you there?

Tony737 on February 22, 2010 at 3:44 PM

White people sure do scare the hell out of liberals don’t they?

uknowmorethanme on February 22, 2010 at 3:44 PM

notropis on February 22, 2010 at 3:36 PM

In fairness, they do trot out Lester Holt on occasion, but it’s usually on a holiday. Make of that what you will.

NoLeftTurn on February 22, 2010 at 3:46 PM

As such, he merits no further analysis.

Doorgunner on February 22, 2010 at 3:38 PM

…but the DTP video was pretty darn amusing…good job folks!

ornery_independent on February 22, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Why would anyone watch or advertise on such a blatently racist network? They are so full of hate there at MSNBC. And to think that they are funcded by taxpayer dollars. Really democrats? You have all the racist policies and now you get into racist broadcasting by funding a racist network news channel?

Shameless.

daesleeper on February 22, 2010 at 3:49 PM

love it.

trailortrash on February 22, 2010 at 3:52 PM

For what it’s worth, I pretty much made the same point back at Michelle’s site when this subject came up.

Back in the later 90′s and early ’00s, MSNBC was more diverse than it is now. Their roster at the time included Soledad O’Brien (“Morning Blend” and occasional prime time substitute anchor), Suzanne Malveaux (D.C. correspondent), Lester Holt (prime time anchor), and Lori Stokes (weekend anchor). O’Brien and Malveaux jumped ship for CNN, Holt was promoted to the main NBC network, and Stokes left for WABC-TV in NYC.

MSNBC’s drift toward the unbearable whiteness of being is therefore a far more recent phenomenon.

DubiousD on February 22, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Rachel Maddow and his wife.

OmahaConservative on February 22, 2010 at 3:55 PM

“Why not make level one a little stupider, and just call that level one?”

“But these go to Keith Olbermann.”

Abby Adams on February 22, 2010 at 3:39 PM

+1, lol

Midas on February 22, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Rachel Maddow and his wife.

OmahaConservative on February 22, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Barf.

What’s the attraction?

(don’t answer that)

fogw on February 22, 2010 at 3:58 PM

NoLeftTurn on February 22, 2010 at 3:46 PM

If you count guest hosts, then Rush Limbaugh, by himself, is as “diverse” as MSNBC….

If you throw in guests, as Olbermann did in his famous “some of my best friends” self-defense, Glenn Beck had more blacks guests on his show in a single show than Olbermann has had on throughout his show’s history.

Of course this numbers game is stupid and pointless — but it’s sort of fun, especially since Olbermann started it.

notropis on February 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Powerful video from the folks in Dallas. Great job sending up that tool at MSNBC!

BobOfTexas on February 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Alinsky said to disorient your opponent and I think this sort of counter attack does just that. We should go the extra mile to turn the barrel of the race baiting gun back on those who typically use it indiscriminantly.

MSNBC, the token network.

R Square on February 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Now the first thing I would do if I ran MSNBC, and the network was interested in ratings, is dump Olberman, and give a team of tea partiers a show to replace him.

I’m brilliant. But then again, I’m only comparing myself to the management at MSNBC.

Saltysam on February 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM

“Occasionally happen”???
On MBNBC?
Carlos, my man, if your show had twenty viewers and your replacement’s has 19, SUE SUE SUE. Remember, MSNBC we’re talking here. They didn’t replace you with one of their high rated prison shows, did they? “Predator” with Chris Hanson repeats from 2 years back?

Marcus on February 22, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Tamron Hall could not be reached for comment.

crr6 on February 22, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Kind of cheesy of them to silence one of the few minority voices that way.

Tonus on February 22, 2010 at 4:12 PM

What an awesome video. Throw their hypocrisy in their faces, Alinsky style.

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2010 at 4:12 PM

So, why are they only contributors, and not the “face” of a given program? seriously, they can’t find any black, hispanics or asians to fill time slots, and have to fall back to pasty-faced white guys like D’olberman?

I R A Darth Aggie on February 22, 2010 at 4:12 PM

@ 0:42… “What are you Keith Olbermann, stupid?”

Hahahaha

Abby Adams on February 22, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I thought that didn’t seem right. I don’t speak Spanish, but knew something was wierd with “stupido” not in the transcription. Clever and hilarious!

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2010 at 4:14 PM

So if we’re placing bets, which occurs first? A) MSNBC is shut down from poor ratings and all these leftist goons are fired. They then meek out a meager existence living in a van down by the river. B) They last to the November elections, and after the GOP retake the House and Senate, live and on air they commit mass suicide amid mass wailing and weeping. Is Vegas taking odds on this? MSNBC is clearly a speeding train running out of track. How will it implode?

chicagojedi on February 22, 2010 at 4:15 PM

With an invite from that tea partier…I just might fly out there myself.

right2bright on February 22, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Hey libtards! Rush lets a black guy host his show for days at a time. I guess that means he is not racist too.

Speedwagon82 on February 22, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Maybe the question should be, Why is Olbermann so concerned about race when everyone of every race and culture is concerned about the economy?

elclynn on February 22, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Derrick Pitts is so damn good

Well give him your time slot and paycheck, Olbermann. You’re no damn good.

ddrintn on February 22, 2010 at 4:38 PM

The TEA party on the 27th in Dallas will be only the second protest I have ever been to. The one last year was a lot of fun.

cozmo on February 22, 2010 at 3:06 PM

It will be my third. What say all the HotAirers wear name tags?

Kafir on February 22, 2010 at 4:40 PM

OmahaConservative on February 22, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Damn it. Put a warning on those things. Now I have to clean my desk all over again.

PappaMac on February 22, 2010 at 4:40 PM

If I can get down there this weekend, I shall. Keith needs to be shown that there is more color to the Tea Party than he imagines (or choses not to see).

itzWicks on February 22, 2010 at 4:52 PM

The white man be keepin’ MSNBC’s ratings down!!!!

- The Cat

MirCat on February 22, 2010 at 4:57 PM

This line of defense by Olby reminds me of an unspeakable Lester Maddox quote.

molonlabe28 on February 22, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Rachel Maddow and his wife.

OmahaConservative on February 22, 2010 at 3:55 PM
Barf.

What’s the attraction?

(don’t answer that)

fogw on February 22, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Evidently, it would appear she had a “thing” for JM. J. Bullock during the ’80s!

cableguy615 on February 22, 2010 at 5:06 PM

I love the title:

“Dallas Tea Party Invites White People at MSNBC.”

xax on February 22, 2010 at 5:08 PM

GE/NBC continues a kind of crazy marketing technique. I’ve heard of loss leaders, but never loss losers. I’m pissed as a GE shareholder.

hip shot on February 22, 2010 at 5:19 PM

That poor guy, his parents named him Rachel. Who’d do that to a kid?

Akzed on February 22, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I thought it was Kevin from The Wonder Years??

Caper29 on February 22, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Katrina Pierson is so effing hot it’s ridiculous.

BTW, I meant to respond to this latest Olby turd the other day… Aside from how stupid this whole thing is in the first place, I have to wonder if when Olby and friends look out at liberal protests they see seas of brown, black, and yellow faces… Because what I see are spoiled rich white college kids, hidden behind scarfs so you can’t identify them when they attack property, both public and private.

RightWinged on February 22, 2010 at 5:29 PM

cozmo on February 22, 2010 at 3:06 PM

It will be my third. What say all the HotAirers wear name tags?

Kafir on February 22, 2010 at 4:40 PM

We’ll be there too. I guess we can put our hot air monikers on name tags and see how many people we can find.

Aggie85 on February 22, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Tea Partiers come in lots of skin colors, but what they want is one color–more GREEN dead Presidents in their wallets, and less to the Government!

Steve Z on February 22, 2010 at 6:11 PM

nazarioj001 on February 22, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Sweet, another boriqua! Do what you can to get some more flavor at the tea parties…as much as I disagree with y’all, democrats are worse at this point, and whichever group is going to wind up receiving the windfall of power in the wake of the democrat collapse should have some flavor involved!

ernesto on February 22, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Coje jabon pa’que lave, maricon sucio! Mira, Olberpendejo: vayase para el demonio, cochino descarado. Metete el te por tu culo!

Damn, that felt good.

princetrumpet on February 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Great video by the Texas Tea Party!! It’s Morning in America and MILLIONS of Americans of all colors are WIDE AWAKE!!!

Meanwhile, MS-NBC is hitting the snooze button and will get left behind…

TN Mom on February 22, 2010 at 6:53 PM

WASP-nbc

jcrue on February 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM

MSNBC’s lineup is whiter than Keith’s bathtub.

darii on February 22, 2010 at 3:09 PM

….and it gets used more often!

cableguy615 on February 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Great clip.

disa on February 22, 2010 at 10:05 PM

ernesto on February 22, 2010 at 6:17 PM

So, Ernesto, why are the Dems worse and what is wrong with tea partiers? Give us a peek into your mind.

disa on February 22, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Alinsky rules thrown in their faces. Make the enemy live up to their own standards.

SouthernGent on February 22, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Which is why Alinsky is no long-term strategy. Since Alinsky reasons that no one can truly live up to their own standard, you either have to have no standards (as Clinton was suspected–by his own staff), or suffer from a vulnerability to the same tactics–after years of playing games about the standards that anybody can be held to.

Axeman on February 23, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Dolberman doesn’t have the stones to do it.

Madcow might.

Have stones, that is.

She probably won’t go either.

Tingles can’t go because the sight of any crowd of people not in love with Dear Leader, up close and personal, would likely cause him to swallow his tongue.

Or just pee himself.

Or both.

Doesn’t matter.

MSNBC: MIA for Tea Party…except for the one sacrificial lamb correspondent they’ll send with a camera crew…who will be white.

(The correspondent, not the camera crew.)

SuperCool on February 23, 2010 at 2:10 AM

Some of Keith’s best friends are black.

misterpeasea on February 23, 2010 at 4:10 AM