Quotes of the day

posted at 10:20 pm on February 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

“I have no idea what philosophy Glenn Beck is promoting. And neither does he. It’s incoherent. One day it’s populist, the next it’s libertarian bordering on anarchy, next it’s conservative but not really, etc. And to what end? I believe he has announced that he is no longer going to endorse candidates because our problems are bigger than politics. Well, of course, our problems are not easily dissected into categories, but to reject politics is to reject the manner in which we try to organize ourselves. This is as old as Plato and Aristotle. Why would conservatives choose to surrender the political battlefield to our adversaries — who are trashing this society –when we must retake it in order to preserve our society? Philosophy, politics, culture, family, etc., are all of one. Edmund Burke, among others, wrote about it extensively, and far better that I possibly can. But all elements of the civil society require our defense. Besides, why preach such a strategy when conservatism is on the rise and the GOP is acting more responsibly?

“Moreover, when he does discuss politics, which, ironically, is often, how can he claim today that there is no difference between the two parties when, but for the Republicans in Congress, government-run health care, cap-and-trade, card check, and a long list of other disastrous policies would already be law? The GOP is becoming more conservative thanks to the grass-roots movement and a political uprising across the country, which has even reached into New Jersey and Massachusetts. Why keep pretending otherwise? My only conclusion is that he is promoting a third party or some third way, which is counter-productive to defeating Obama and the Democrat Congress. These are perilous times and this kind of an approach will keep the statists in power for decades.

“And what of his flirtations with Ron Paul’s lunacy respecting America’s supposed provocations with her enemies, including al-Qaeda? Why should such a fatal defect in thinking be ignored? Do we conservatives agree with this?”

***
Via the Right Scoop.

***
Via the Radio Equalizer.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

This is so horrible, I have only read a few of the comments and I have to go. I like all of our radio folks and I am in the position to listen to all of them. They all have their strengths and weakness. Most of the arguments are personal preferences. That said, I am most uncomfortable when Mr. Beck retaliates against criticism of him. Most will say that I am overreacting but the link of a future dead intern to Sen. Brown upset me and when he was asked to step back he accused those who criticized his comment as partisans who would have thought the remark made about a Democrat would have been acceptable. No, no it would not have been. For me it was reminder not to hitch my wagon with any mere mortal and keep perspective of what pundits have to offer.

Cindy Munford on February 23, 2010 at 6:10 AM

Cindy Munford on February 23, 2010 at 6:10 AM

Good post Cindy. The radio folks better find a way to back one candidate when he or she is announced or we are going to have our current President in the WH again in 2012. When they are divided, they also divide their listeners.

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 6:46 AM

TWO CENTS

I like all three, Levin least of the three, because they all bring a different perspective and a different approach to Conservatism. Both Rush and Beck can make political issues ENTERTAINING and enjoyable. Both also can enjoy success in the movement. Both are self-promoters, as expected. Much success to all of them!!!!!

However, the GOP left their brief flirtation with Conservatism on January 20,1989 when Bush 41 took office. Ever since the party machine has foisted pretend Conseecatives on us. And they are all geared up to do it again with Romney and Rubio.

Face it, even under Reagan the Federal Govt continued to grow, the balanced Budget amendment got only lip service from Reagan and the GOP pretended to be Conservative. The GOP has been at war with Progressivism since Teddy Roosevelt challenged Taft in 1912 Primaries and then TR split the party and allowed Wilson to Win.

It’s going to take time to right the ship, but unfortunately there is NO, NO ONE on the GOP side that has the political will or skill to cut the govT down to the size it would need to be.

So financially this country is probably doomed. Am I wrong?

Name one politician that can do what needs to be done? TRUTHFULLY

PappyD61 on February 23, 2010 at 6:47 AM

I can only take Beck in very small doses. He is too crack-pot’ish to me at times.
I’m sure he appears absolutely insane to mods & libs.

OmahaConservative on February 23, 2010 at 6:47 AM

Beck is a streak hitter. Playing ball in the majors is pretty tough. He needs to know when to choke up on the bat when he falls behind on the count or when he goes into a slump. Otherwise, he is batting over .500. Not bad if you’re being compared to Ted Williams but even Ted was aware that it was the mental errors that were likely to trip up a talented ballplayer.

Don’t get me wrong, Glenn does fine when he thinks within a certain framework or limits his critical thinking processes to well investigated stories. It troubles some of us when he comes across like he is winging it. Sometimes the wearing of emotions on your sleeve can come back and bite you unintentionally. Rein it in a little.

Americannodash on February 23, 2010 at 6:51 AM

Americannodash on February 23, 2010 at 6:51 AM

Can’t say I have ever watched/heard Rush or Levin cry. It makes me more than a little uncomfortable to see grown me all weepy.

OmahaConservative on February 23, 2010 at 6:57 AM

OmahaConservative on February 23, 2010 at 6:57 AM

Today is the last protest in front of Pizza Boy’s office on 76th at 11:30 and he is moving around the Maple and 120th…away from any billboard area.

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 7:09 AM

the

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 7:09 AM

========================================================
What I would love to know,is, how is it even possible,
that Ron Paul,came out,as Republican No.#1

Me thinks,sumpin ain’t right!

canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 7:09 AM

He can run but he can’t hide. That billboard is still strategically placed in Midtown.

OmahaConservative on February 23, 2010 at 7:11 AM

I like all three.

The difference is that Beck is living his awakening out loud, and he’s going through what the rest of us are going through.

Levin is somewhere between Hannity, who’s so Republican that he’s worthless, and Rush.

Rush – well, he’s Rush. I don’t know if there would be a conservative movement today if it weren’t for him. His instincts are generally solid.

We need all three. Beck not cheerleading the Republicans puts pressure on the Republicans to stay straight. He calls them out on their spending, and he should.

beatcanvas on February 23, 2010 at 7:11 AM

I’m sure he appears absolutely insane to mods & libs.

OmahaConservative on February 23, 2010 at 6:47 AM

I am neither and I think there is something off-putting about Beck. It’s like a train wreck. You don’t want to watch but you are secretly hoping for a meltdown.

highhopes on February 23, 2010 at 7:18 AM

OmahaConservative on February 23, 2010 at 7:11 AM

I’ll just keep sending my money in for more billboards until he’s voted out….hope they put one up on Maple, so his visitors and staffers are reminded of it daily.

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 7:21 AM

OmahaConservative on February 23, 2010 at 6:57 AM

Not to be over analytical but it is okay for men to cry. Some do it more often than others. Usually it’s a cultural anomaly rather than genetic. For Glenn, it is in my opinion that an incidence or a perchance occurred during an event while on the air that was received very well by his audience and that emotional outburst allowed him to be endeared to them. He has now woven that part of his persona into his entertaining schtick. He is a very rich man now and is smart enough to realize what part of that persona works and keeps him as the number three radio personality.

Americannodash on February 23, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Look, I like Levin, Rush and Beck. They all bring something worth listening to. But I have heard both Rush and Levin on countless occasions rail against the republicans for not being conservative enough. And rightly so. We need to hold their feet to the fire and lead them back to the values that are important to us. Rush, understands this, Levin understands this, and Beck also understands this. Perhaps Beck is a little more savage in his attacks on the so-called right, ok, I’ll buy that. But he always promotes making them move back to the right, not abandoning the party.

I can’t help but think a lot of this criticism has something to do with Beck’s popularity right now.

conservnut on February 23, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Me thinks,sumpin ain’t right!
canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM

They be smokin’ sumpin’?

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Americannodash on February 23, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Agreed, I have been known to shed a few tears myself. I just don’t want/need to see political pundits do it to make a point. It turns me off, and I turned Beck’s radio program off as a result of seeing it on tv. I can get all the GB I need right here at Hot Air.

OmahaConservative on February 23, 2010 at 7:31 AM

O/T,early morning cartoon!
================================
!!!*WARNING*,image of Barney Frank,
click at your own peril!!!!!!!!!!
———————————————

Don’t Hate Him Because He’s Beautiful
=====================================

canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 7:31 AM

Don’t Hate Him Because He’s Beautiful
=====================================

canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 7:31 AM

Burpgag….bech….I think….burp…..I’m gonna……gag……hurl……..

conservnut on February 23, 2010 at 7:35 AM

canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 7:31 AM

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

OmahaConservative on February 23, 2010 at 7:36 AM

I am going to be direct and honest on my general assessment of Glen Beck.

There are times where I honestly cannot stand listening to the man. I think he tends to be too much of a loose cannon extremist who has a vision of America that I am still having a hard time seeing for myself.

The fact that he now has people like Mark Levin and Rush Limbaugh questioning exactly what direction he is coming from gives me pause for concern.

Right now, the last thing we need is division within the conservative movement, especially if we want to regain some level of sanity in government come November. The last thing we need right now are extremist nutcases who are going to taint conservatism and turn it into something that is going to end up turning people off.

One good example of this right now is Ron Paul. But Glen Beck is starting to gain ground in this aspect, and that is not good.

Maybe it is time for Beck to start toning down the rhetoric and the wild accusations, instead of throwing fuel on to a fire that may end up burning away any chances of knocking the Democrats out of power in Congress come next Election Day.

pilamaye on February 23, 2010 at 7:37 AM

Me thinks,sumpin ain’t right!
canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM
They be smokin’ sumpin’?

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 7:28 AM

yoda:Well,how and the h*ll did Ron Paul get the majority
of the poll,sounds fixed to me!!:)

canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 7:37 AM

I love Rush and I waited 3 hours at a Levin book signing.

But I became a big fan of Beck after the CPAC speech. I can’t remember the last time I dropped everything-dinner, kids – to watch a one hour speech. Levin/Limbaugh can criticize all they want, but they should acknowledge that Beck does deliver the themes of American exceptionalism and self -reliance better than most. And that their criticisms sound a little like sour grapes, which is beneath them.

CarolynM on February 23, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Burp…gag….bech….I think….burp…..I’m gonna……gag……hurl……..

conservnut on February 23, 2010 at 7:35 AM
============================

canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 7:31 AM
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

OmahaConservative on February 23, 2010 at 7:36 AM
=====================================

Lurkers!!(i kid):)

canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 7:42 AM

yoda:Well,how and the h*ll did Ron Paul get the majority
of the poll,sounds fixed to me!!:)

canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 7:37 AM

I think they were smokin more than tobackky in the Boys Room canopfor. Here’s a little Motley Crue .

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 7:42 AM

CarolynM on February 23, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Your maiden name isn’t Dopps is it?

Americannodash on February 23, 2010 at 7:44 AM

What I would love to know,is, how is it even possible,
that Ron Paul,came out,as Republican No.#1

Me thinks,sumpin ain’t right!

canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 7:10 AM

1) They took the poll right after Paul’s speech 2) Only 400 out of 10,000 voted

The problem with Mark is I can see him standing on his porch screaming Get off my lawn, ya big liberal jerk!

bikermailman on February 23, 2010 at 7:49 AM

I hope to goodness that Bennett learns something from Glenn Beck. McCain has absolutely done great damage to the conservative movement, and Bennett refuses to admit that McCain is NOT a conservative. Also, thanks to the person who posted the radio ratings. I have always been curious about Levin’s ratings, and it was a relief to see where he ranked.

mobydutch on February 23, 2010 at 7:51 AM

I like all three.

beatcanvas on February 23, 2010 at 7:11 AM

I agree with all of this.

I actually like how raw and emotive Beck is. There is a real passion and authenticity about him that speaks to me. It might be because I’m female but the crying doesn’t bother me at all. Sometimes I am so moved by him that I’m right there tearing up with him. I do understand how it could be a turn off to some but I also think it helps him with the female viewers and their awakening. It’s an audience that Rush and Levin don’t always connect with on the same level. Conservatives need everyone of those female voters they can get.

Monica on February 23, 2010 at 7:52 AM

pilamaye on February 23, 2010 at 7:37 AM

I disagree. There are too many conservatives that want to “be fair” to the filthy lying coward in the White House. They demand that the GOP leadership be respectful when summoned to royal audiences. And otherwise take on a tone of civility when the enemy is a bunch of Chicago street thugs. The rhetoric needs to be heated.

highhopes on February 23, 2010 at 7:53 AM

1) They took the poll right after Paul’s speech 2) Only 400 out of 10,000 voted

bikermailman on February 23, 2010 at 7:49 AM

bikermailman:Well,that is interesting,so the 400,just
so happened to be Ron Paul supporters!!

And,out of 10,000 voters,what are the
chances,that 400 would vote for RP!!

canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 7:53 AM

canopfor: those chances would be, um, like Barry: Zero! Okay, off to brave the snow…rain snow sleet and hail, and all that!

bikermailman on February 23, 2010 at 8:01 AM

McCain and Bennett are very reach across the aisle type guys, and that is where I think the Republican Party has been allowed to gradually turn over their principles to the Libs. This has also allowed the Libs to become more radical and bold.

mobydutch on February 23, 2010 at 8:01 AM

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 7:42 AM

yoda:Me like! I’ll raise you,:)
=============================================
Cheech and Chong’s Up In Smoke Cypress Hill I Wanna Get High
=========================

canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 8:03 AM

I’m female but the crying doesn’t bother me at all.
Monica on February 23, 2010 at 7:52 AM

I agree Monica. My husband is 6’5″….plays the cello and sheds tears too. The people who know him would never call him a sissy…he’s a man’s man.

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 8:03 AM

He’s promoting one thing and one thing only: ratings.

I find it funny that anyone would think otherwise.

AnninCA on February 23, 2010 at 8:08 AM

yoda:Me like! I’ll raise you,:)
=============================================
Cheech and Chong’s Up In Smoke Cypress Hill I Wanna Get High
=========================
canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 8:03 AM

canopfor, I will raise you with Rick James….Mary Jane.

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Is there anyone capable of approaching Levin about his skills to cause division within the Republican Party? Do people fear his hatefulness, or is he just a lost cause?

mobydutch on February 23, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Your maiden name isn’t Dopps is it?

Americannodash on February 23, 2010 at 7:44 AM

I don’t get it.

CarolynM on February 23, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Cindy Munford on February 23, 2010 at 6:10 AM

That didn’t bother me that much just because they are all simply pundits. They make mistakes, Rush has certainly done so many times, as has Levin.
I listen, read, and watch them not for their opinions, but for any information I can glean from their shows. Even then I double check what they said. Honestly though, Rush has always irrtitated me because he is a bit too bombastic, Beck is a bit too much of an entertainer, and Levin is too whiney. They are all too full of themselves and really like our Congressmen, most, if not all, of their work is done by their staffs. They do give them credit but it seems ironic to me.
I hope that none of us “hitch our wagons” to any political pundit. Use them for information, compare and check, and then make up our own minds. Meanwhile, relax and enjoy their shows.

Deanna on February 23, 2010 at 8:20 AM

This is the point, this is my problem with Glenn Beck, aside from his general goofiness. Glenn can be very effective at hammering the liberals, when he is hammering liberals. I agree with Levin that when you go after Republicans, be specific. Name names. Don’t generalize, flirt with third party nonsense. That way lies defeat.

To all of you who continue to insist that Levin’s problem with Beck is “envy”, you are mistaken and missing the point.

Levin, along with Rush by the way, has a serious substantive disagreement with how Beck is choosing to use his newly earned influence. They sense danger to the cause that Beck himself claims to champion. They are sounding a warning to not lose focus on who the real target is.

As Levin and Rush have made clear, this does not mean defending the party at all costs. Levin has endorsed JD Hayworth against McCain. No one has been more critical of McCain over the years than Rush Limbaugh. That is not the point. The point is that when the Republicans DO hold the line, they deserve reinforcement, not shots in the back, at this very important time.

Does Glenn Beck stand for conservatism? Or is it libertarianism? Or is he a little unfocused ideologically?

These are entirely legitimate questions to ask. Asking them does not mean you are simply expressing “envy”, but a serious intellectual point about where we are headed as a movement and how we get there from here.

When it comes to the Constitution and conservative activism, Mark Levin’s background inspires nothing but confidence that he knows what he is talking about.

Rush’s 21 year record is unassailable. Consistent.

Beck is the new kid on the block, and has a thing or two to learn from the masters.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 8:24 AM

PappyD61 on February 23, 2010 at 6:47 AM

Correct, but the Limbaugh triumvirate will lead it’s people down the path of socialism. Please wake up.

We are probably financially doomed, the pre-planned implosion has a very good chance of occurring, the question is how will we make it through.

Unwavering faith and bended knee.

True_King on February 23, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Geez people, they’re political pundits, not gods. There are tons of them, including bloggers and columnists. Some are more powerful based on the numbers of their audiences. But they are still simply giving their opinions. I wonder how many people they have actually influenced when it comes time to enter that booth and cast their vote? Hopefully it isn’t that many. Take what we can from them, think for ourselves, and get active in the process. It’s fun to listen and watch, nothing more, nothing less.

Deanna on February 23, 2010 at 8:30 AM

True_King on February 23, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Nonsense.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Levin needs to get over his Glenn Beck obsession. Beck doesn’t need to change to fit Levin’s notion of what a serious person should be. Humor has had its place in realm of serious thought for eons. Beck employs satire and comic relief. You may not think Beck is any good at it, but don’t act like one can’t wear the clown nose and be serious, too.

Disturb the Universe on February 23, 2010 at 8:32 AM

CarolynM on February 23, 2010 at 8:16 AM

If is not, then there is nothing to get.

Americannodash on February 23, 2010 at 8:33 AM

I mean…do I have to say it?

MARK WHO?

***Glenn laughing all the way to the bank***

seejanemom on February 23, 2010 at 8:39 AM

True_King on February 23, 2010 at 8:26 AM

The Socialist is the President of the United States. However, there is a reincarnation of Father Coughlin who “miraculously” won the straw poll at CPAC.

kingsjester on February 23, 2010 at 8:39 AM

canopfor, I will raise you with Rick James….Mary Jane.

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 8:09 AM

yoda: How about,:)
=================================
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers – Mary Jane’s Last Dance

canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Beck’s approach to and expression of his politics comes across as a real person’s view of pols.
Certain core values and issues that are very important, and all of the rest; who cares which letter the person has beside their name. Why do you think there are so many “independents” and “moderates” in the US body politic?
It is not because they do not care about the political issues, they just do not see that either party really has the same concerns as they do.

Step away from the computer or radio and get into light political discussions with people. You will realize that GB’s statement of distrust of both parties is rather tame compared to your average guy/gal on the street.

Real distrust and borderline hatred for the political class abounds, and at least in my part of the country that is based on the government sticking their nose into business they have no reason being in and taking money out of folks wallet.
GB has a better feel for what folks are really thinking than any other of the big talkers.

Nathan_OH on February 23, 2010 at 8:41 AM

He’s promoting one thing and one thing only: ratings.

I find it funny that anyone would think otherwise.

AnninCA on February 23, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Because one can’t possibly strive for success and hold real convictions.

We must look to failures like the folks at Air America and MSNBC to find real conviction.

Disturb the Universe on February 23, 2010 at 8:41 AM

I totally do NOT think Rush was busting on Glenn.

Rush clearly just does not understand Glenn’s premise that the Progressive Cancer infects BOTH parties, not ALL MEMBERS of both parties.

Mr. Rubio merely has the (R) but he is HARDLY a party hack.

YET.

seejanemom on February 23, 2010 at 8:43 AM

I’m not really sure where you all are coming from. Just yesterday, as you were probably hammering away on yet another article about how Beck is undermining the Republican establishment, he was openly stating on his television show he does not want a third party. What he does want is a conservative Republican party, as it is his right to wish for. As it is the right of millions of people to wish for.

How is it that wanting McCain to retire, Lindsey to shut up and Snowe to somehow find a spine on occasion a bad thing with you and your ilk?

Can you not see that being a “moderate reaching across the aisle” kind of Republican has caused harm to this nation? That we bred generations of children unaware of our true history, mostly because Republicans like McCain have allowed it to happen in the same of bipartisanship? They are having a heck of a row right now in Texas about another history book that wants to eliminate American citizen and replace it with “global citizen”. You would think, if McCain is such a great patriot, he would be doing back flips publicly about progressive attacks like these. But no, nothing. And why? Don’t you ever wonder why?

(On a curious side note, we see Newt jumping all over global warming as a cause. What’s the deal with that, even now as the science is unwinding at light speed, he is still silent. No “oops”. What’s in it for the former Mr. Conservative that ended up sitting on the couch with Nancy? We all know this was about taxes and controlling behavior, but there he is kissing up. Why? Here is a good article link you might find interesting from those lefties at National Review-

Could it be Newt saw a gravy train passing through town and decided to jump on for his share? Why not? At the time being conservative was out of vogue and everybody figured the cash was in cap and trade. Hmm…..)

I am assuming your mission statement at HOTAIR does NOT include the promotion of big government and increased control over the daily lives of the citizens. However, you do seem to conveniently rail against people who are against that very concept. It is troubling. Beck is a loose cannon on occasion, but his main theme is solid. He wants government, especially progressive government as exemplified by Obama, Reid, McCain, Snowe and others out of our lives, regardless of party. The ONLY way that happens, as he has repeatedly said, is if members in the Republican party admit they have slipped up and then turn back to core constitutional principles. I loved GWB for his humility and his war on terror. Being a former police detective I accepted the Patriot Act and other laws that kept us safe. HOWEVER, GWB’s theory of big government can work if only run by compassionate people failed, horribly. As did his constant reaching across the aisle to Kennedy prove that it only resulted in being bitten.

We learned from that. We are asking the Republicans to learn from that. If it takes removing Bennett, McCain and Graham, then so be it. We realize Snowe is a creature of her environment as is Brown. But that doesn’t excuse silly acts like voting to release the bill from committee or supporting Reid’s continued over spending on a jobs bill.

It simply doesn’t and this is why Beck and his people are upset.

Simple. Get it yet? For once? Or are you too busy receiving your next marching order via email or cell phone from the moderate wing of the “me too” Republican party.

archer52 on February 23, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Beck scared me enough to unsubscribe from his radio show and magazine.

I’ve had enough of his demagoguery.
I find his use of the expression “Come to Jesus” offensive and I also was repulsed by his portrayal of “Morning in America” as the Morning After a Big Drunk.

I’m proud to be a Republican.
We’re the party of better ideas, the right values like the Right to Life and the most foundational American values that our Founders would laud, also.

Jenfidel on February 23, 2010 at 3:09 AM

How sad. Not an original thought in your mind.

True_King on February 23, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Since our last meeting we have been through a disastrous election. It is easy for us to be discouraged, as pundits hail that election as a repudiation of our philosophy and even as a mandate of some kind or other. But the significance of the election was not registered by those who voted, but by those who stayed home. If there was anything like a mandate it will be found among almost two-thirds of the citizens who refused to participate.

Bitter as it is to accept the results of the November election, we should have reason for some optimism. For many years now we have preached “the gospel,” in opposition to the philosophy of so-called liberalism which was, in truth, a call to collectivism.

Now, it is possible we have been persuasive to a greater degree than we had ever realized. Few, if any, Democratic party candidates in the last election ran as liberals. Listening to them I had the eerie feeling we were hearing reruns of Goldwater speeches. I even thought I heard a few of my own.

Americans are hungry to feel once again a sense of mission and greatness.

I don ‘t know about you, but I am impatient with those Republicans who after the last election rushed into print saying, “We must broaden the base of our party”—when what they meant was to fuzz up and blur even more the differences between ourselves and our opponents.

It was a feeling that there was not a sufficient difference now between the parties that kept a majority of the voters away from the polls. When have we ever advocated a closed-door policy? Who has ever been barred from participating?

Our people look for a cause to believe in. Is it a third party we need, or is it a new and revitalized second party, raising a banner of no pale pastels, but bold colors which make it unmistakably clear where we stand on all of the issues troubling the people?

Let us show that we stand for fiscal integrity and sound money and above all for an end to deficit spending, with ultimate retirement of the national debt.

Let us also include a permanent limit on the percentage of the people’s earnings government can take without their consent.

Let our banner proclaim a genuine tax reform that will begin by simplifying the income tax so that workers can compute their obligation without having to employ legal help.

And we must make it plain to international adventurers that our love of peace stops short of “peace at any price.”

We will maintain whatever level of strength is necessary to preserve our free way of life.

A political party cannot be all things to all people. It must represent certain fundamental beliefs which must not be compromised to political expediency, or simply to swell its numbers.

I do not believe I have proposed anything that is contrary to what has been considered Republican principle. It is at the same time the very basis of conservatism. It is time to reassert that principle and raise it to full view. And if there are those who cannot subscribe to these principles, then let them go their way.

Ronald Reagan at CPAC, 1975

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 8:49 AM

Deanna on February 23, 2010 at 8:30 AM

I agree. Beck is what he says he is…a rodeo clown. I listen to him now and then for comic relief. I think he’s a little “out there” sometimes, and sometimes I turn the channel because he grates on my nerves. But sometimes I hang on every word he says because I can’t believe someone on TV is ranting about the very things conservatives are so frustrated about. Other times, I think he blows things totally out of proportion.

scalleywag on February 23, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Beck, Levine, Limbaugh and Hannity are all different and all have their good and irritating sides. Maybe not Limbaugh as he is just plain solid in his thinking.

However, the greatest fault of the Republicans we send to Congress is that they think they need to get something done and reach across the aisle. Democrats don’t think that. They demand that Republicans give up their principles every time. I would love to see a Republican run on the premise that he/she is going to undo almost everything for the last 80 years and only go with what works. Precious little, that’s for sure.

BetseyRoss on February 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Glenn Beck : Politics as Martha Stewart: Lifestyle

Both have packaged a need and are minting money in the process.

Funny, Martha’s OMNIMEDIA stock is blowing the roof off Wall Street right now because elitists need to busy themselves making pretty things so they forget the mess Martha’s own favorite pet President is making just outside the door of thier worthless, but ***beautifully decorated*** homes in The Hamptons.

Glenn, on the other hand, is educating the masses to engage in everything OUTSIDE their little comfort bubble for REAL CHANGE. If he trips over bags of money doing it, then GOOD ON HIM.

I don’t begrudge either one of them a nickel, but at least Glenn is actually providing a USEFUL PRODUCT.

seejanemom on February 23, 2010 at 9:04 AM

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 6:46 AMDeanna on February 23, 2010 at 8:20 AM

As we know it’s hard to read what a person is like through text but I don’t think I have ever had someone tell me to relax. High strung I am not. Pundits words and delivery will color our perceptions and thank goodness for that on/off button. As to whether all of them will get behind a particular candidate in 2012, I just don’t know. I think there are ratings and money and power to had by being a contrarian. Mr. Beck gives Rep. Paul a fair amount of coverage on his shows, I assume because of Rep. Paul’s strong belief in fiscal conservatism. Since others here have written that Rep. Paul is a great partaker of pork, it would seem that he doesn’t walk the talk. So why promote him? Could it be to stick it in the eye of other conservatives?

Cindy Munford on February 23, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Levin dreams of Beck… gosh…levin needs to just call his right hand…”Glenn”

charmingtail on February 23, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Ron Paul is a idiot…he is a legend in his own mind. Look how he swooons over being famous…. he is Obama

charmingtail on February 23, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Rush is right…I love Glenn…BUT…. he runs so hard away from the GOP…he is running right into a big fat ugly ass door called RON PAUL Bots

charmingtail on February 23, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I think Beck is totally trying to ignite a 3rd party. I wish he wouldn’t and would simply work within the GOP. Does he not remember Ross Perot and Ralph Nader?

76United on February 23, 2010 at 9:12 AM

76United on February 23, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Beck has never backed the formation of a third party.

mizflame98 on February 23, 2010 at 9:15 AM

We Glenn Beck Insiders used to say … we go to Rush for Politics and Glenn for entertainment… listening to Glenn on politics is like asking for dieting advise from Baskin Robbins

charmingtail on February 23, 2010 at 9:18 AM

charmingtail on February 23, 2010 at 9:18 AM

He is so funny and as I have said before, he is the Cliffs Notes of some really dry reading. Thank you Mr. Beck.

Cindy Munford on February 23, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Glenn Beck : Politics as Martha Stewart: Lifestyle

Both have packaged a need and are minting money in the process.

seejanemom on February 23, 2010 at 9:04 AM

I see Beck as Rachael Ray and Levin as Martha Stewart. Ray is entertaining, bubbly, and all around cuddly. Stewart is stuck up, arrogant, and just prickly. Stewart comes out and bashes Ray saying that she’s not good enough; while Ray has never said a mean thing about Stewart. Yup, that’s Beck and Levin in a nutshell.

mizflame98 on February 23, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Beck has never backed the formation of a third party.

mizflame98 on February 23, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Not true.

Video: Glenn Beck goes all in for Doug Hoffman — and third parties

# Beck: I think a third party’s going to win in 2012
By Allahpundit • November 3rd, 2009

Video: Glenn Beck buries the two-party system — almost

He’s been flirting with this for a while, and there is disagreement on what the purpose is, namely between Allahpundit and Ace of Spades, which goes back to Levin’s point that he should speak clearly to the Republicans, be more focused on the goal and not so scattershot about it.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Beck to Palin: Hey, how about a third party?

Forgot that one.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Megadittoes Rush and Mark!

I was disheartened to see so many uncritical remarks of Beck’s CPAC speech at that thread. I’m glad to see dissenting voices here.

Buy Danish on February 23, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Beck has never backed the formation of a third party.

mizflame98 on February 23, 2010 at 9:15 AM

If you’re going to try and convince the unconvincable put on a helmet. The bricks are hard.

thomasaur on February 23, 2010 at 9:32 AM

I haven’t had the chance to read the whole thread. Has anyone noticed Levin’s comments come on the same day his good friend, Rush Limbaugh, took a shot at Beck (without actually naming him) on his show?

I’m not a Levin fan. I had heard great things about him, and when I happened onto a “Best Of” show last Labor Day, I thought it would be a great intro to the guy. I had to turn him off 40 minutes into the first hour. It was nothing but mean-spirited attacks on anyone he disagrees with or doesn’t like, which is apparently quite a lot of people.

entropent on February 23, 2010 at 9:34 AM

thomasaur on February 23, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Sometimes I think I’m a glutton for punishment.

mizflame98 on February 23, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Let us lay to rest, once and for all, the myth of a small group of ideological purists trying to capture a majority. Replace it with the reality of a majority trying to assert its rights against the tyranny of powerful academics, fashionable left-revolutionaries, some economic illiterates who happen to hold elective office and the social engineers who dominate the dialogue and set the format in political and social affairs. If there is any ideological fanaticism in American political life, it is to be found among the enemies of freedom on the left or right—those who would sacrifice principle to theory, those who worship only the god of political, social and economic abstractions, ignoring the realities of everyday life. They are not conservatives.

Our first job is to get this message across to those who share most of our principles. If we allow ourselves to be portrayed as ideological shock troops without correcting this error we are doing ourselves and our cause a disservice. Wherever and whenever we can, we should gently but firmly correct our political and media friends who have been perpetuating the myth of conservatism as a narrow ideology. Whatever the word may have meant in the past, today conservatism means principles evolving from experience and a belief in change when necessary, but not just for the sake of change.

Once we have established this, the next question is: What will be the political vehicle by which the majority can assert its rights?

I have to say I cannot agree with some of my friends—perhaps including some of you here tonight—who have answered that question by saying this nation needs a new political party.

I respect that view and I know that those who have reached it have done so after long hours of study. But I believe that political success of the principles we believe in can best be achieved in the Republican Party. I believe the Republican Party can hold and should provide the political mechanism through which the goals of the majority of Americans can be achieved. For one thing, the biggest single grouping of conservatives is to be found in that party. It makes more sense to build on that grouping than to break it up and start over.

Rather than a third party, we can have a new first party made up of people who share our principles. I have said before that if a formal change in name proves desirable, then so be it. But tonight, for purpose of discussion, I’m going to refer to it simply as the New Republican Party.

And let me say so there can be no mistakes as to what I mean: The New Republican Party I envision will not be, and cannot, be one limited to the country club-big business image that, for reasons both fair and unfair, it is burdened with today. The New Republican Party I am speaking about is going to have room for the man and the woman in the factories, for the farmer, for the cop on the beat and the millions of Americans who may never have thought of joining our party before, but whose interests coincide with those represented by principled Republicanism. If we are to attract more working men and women of this country, we will do so not by simply “making room” for them, but by making certain they have a say in what goes on in the party. The Democratic Party turned its back on the majority of social conservatives during the 1960s. The New Republican Party of the late ’70s and ’80s must welcome them, seek them out, enlist them, not only as rank-and-file members but as leaders and as candidates.

The New Republican Party I envision is one that will energetically seek out the best candidates for every elective office, candidates who not only agree with, but understand, and are willing to fight for a sound, honest economy, for the interests of American families and neighborhoods and communities and a strong national defense. And these candidates must be able to communicate those principles to the American people in language they understand. Inflation isn’t a textbook problem. Unemployment isn’t a textbook problem.

They should be discussed in human terms.

Our task now is not to sell a philosophy, but to make the majority of Americans, who already share that philosophy, see that modern conservatism offers them a political home.

We are not a cult, we are members of a majority. Let’s act and talk like it.

The job is ours and the job must be done. If not by us, who? If not now, when?

Our party must be the party of the individual. It must not sell out the individual to cater to the group. No greater challenge faces our society today than ensuring that each one of us can maintain his dignity and his identity in an increasingly complex, centralized society.

Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, galloping inflation, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite.

Our party must be based on the kind of leadership that grows and takes its strength from the people. Any organization is in actuality only the lengthened shadow of its members. A political party is a mechanical structure created to further a cause. The cause, not the mechanism, brings and holds the members together. And our cause must be to rediscover, reassert and reapply America’s spiritual heritage to our national affairs.

Then with God’s help we shall indeed be as a city upon a hill with the eyes of all people upon us.

Governor Ronald Reagan (R-CA)

Conservative Political Action Conference

Washington, DC

February 6, 1977

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 9:44 AM

yoda: How about,:)
=================================
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers – Mary Jane’s Last Dance

canopfor on February 23, 2010 at 8:40 AM

canopfor – I’ll raise you with…..Family Guy’s, Bagofweed.

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Jenfidel on February 23, 2010 at 5:25 AM

Beck is no Ron Paul and Sarah Palin has no problem being seen with Beck and agreeing with him. Watch his interview of her. Plus, Glenn railed against his accusers that say he is for a third party as liars because he’s not and said he endorses candidates like Rubio.

Hope you aren’t accusing me of being a Libertarian! I am most infatigably not. I am a fiscal AND social Conservative to the core. I am a Ronald Reagan Conservative and wear the yoke of all that entails quite proudly!

Sultry Beauty on February 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM

The general argument against Beck seems to stem from a paranoid hold on the two party system. Yeah, that two party system that is nowhere in the Constitution. It doesn’t mean a two party system is unconstitutional, but it certainly indicates it’s an apocryphal creation that is subject to all the circumstantial assaults of failing human interests. If you want clearer proof, check out a side that in all technicality includes the likes of Olympia Snowe and Jesse Helms. Yes, they have an “R” next to their name, so let’s make sure we all stand together and defend that R. Need I add in Megan McCain or David Frum, or countless others who claim some kind of mutilated association with Republicanism? Does this not indicate what we apparently stand for is in question? That it’s about politics, not governance, or leadership, or believing in something more important than your own ass in the seat?

Mostly I like Levin, but if he wants to go apoplectic in his nasal screech against Beck, he needs to realize his “philosophy” seems just as unclear. Really, what’s the point of dismantling someone who has charged up a lot of people to learn where they came from? Or who has poked massive holes in the zeitgeist of progressive values?

If you truly believe conservatism is the way that will point to the future, then we can all stand a little look in the mirror. Beck is at least recognizing a trend born of covering lies and progressivism with that “R” next to your name. He may get a little hyper-inflated at times, but at least he’s taking a long hard look.

This screechy defense of the GOP smacks more of fear than anything. And Levin’s sour grapes just sound childish.

somewhatconcerned on February 23, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Cindy Munford on February 23, 2010 at 9:07 AM

I just worry that we are playing right into the Democrats plan for 2012. The current administration wants us to select an unelectable candidate, so they can stay in power. I just hope and pray the Republican Party comes together with a candidate who will have a chance to be elected. I will not vote for a third party candidate like Perot in 1992 and I hope we aren’t presented with the extra candidate….otherwise, we will have President Obama for another 4 years.

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Nathan_OH on February 23, 2010 at 8:41 AM

I think you’re right on that. And Breitbart gets it that the media is also despised by a lot of people. But none of them seem to make the connection that what is happening politically can only happen because media and law enforcement are actually overlooking law-breaking. There are laws against all the crap we’ve got going on. The people who are supposed to enforce those laws and make them “stick” refuse to do their jobs.

Reconciliation should not be an option for the government taking control of one-sixth of the American economy. Passing a bill that can’t be undone should not be possible. Giving money belonging to secured investors to unions instead should not be possible. Firing inspectors general because they are doing their job and committing libel in the process should not happen in full view of everybody. The list goes on and on.

The Hawaii Department of Health has confirmed that Obama’s birth certificate is amended and is therefore not valid as prima facie evidence. They have indirectly confirmed that Obama posted a forgery. We’ve known that as fact for some time. (See http://www.butterdezillion.wordpress.com and follow the link at the end for substantive details.) Glenn Beck is not doing the country any good by ignoring the serious corruption in our law enforcement system and belittling anybody who does take it seriously. He’s playing directly into the hands of the crooks – both democrat and republican – who don’t want to be accountable to the law. And it makes no sense to spend so much energy trying to impact what laws are made, if the laws will never be enforced anyway.

My view of the talkers at this point is this: Bloom’s taxonomy is absolutely correct. You can’t have valid analysis unless you’ve mastered the basic facts.

Somebody commented that Beck is good on issues where the facts are established. I agree. He should shut up when he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Rush has said that he doesn’t know enough about Obama’s eligibility to report on it. I’m fine with that. If Beck and O’Reilly would learn similar humility they would be wise. (And I can’t believe I just said that Rush’s humility serves him well. lol)

justincase on February 23, 2010 at 10:18 AM

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 10:09 AM

I don’t know, before you give the Democrats credit for any great plans think about Sen. Reid and Spkr. Pelosi. I refuse that those people are cabable of tricking a puppy. Although it is impressive that they can talk so many of their members to committ political suicide for future power they might not partake in. I won’t vote for a third party either but I would be lying if I said I was excited about anybody. But that’s okay, if a leader is apparent too early the press and the Left (but I repeat myself)will anything and everything to destroy him/her. Right now it’ like being on a roller coaster, interesting, funny and scary.

Cindy Munford on February 23, 2010 at 10:19 AM

charmingtail on February 23, 2010 at 9:12 AM

That’s kind of funny because he just mentioned a couple of minutes ago on the radio that there is no way he could ever vote for Ron Paul.

Pablo on February 23, 2010 at 10:26 AM

What’s it like being insane? I’ve always wondered.

Pablo on February 23, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Pablo on February 23, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Guess I’ll have to take your word for it. I quit listening to/watching the clown.

OmahaConservative on February 23, 2010 at 10:34 AM

This isn’t much of a dust-up.

3 things need to happen to take our country back.

1. The criminals who have siezed power have to be ruthlessly deposed, no matter the price. This is where Levin and Rush are at.

2. Then the RINOs, pseudo-conservatives and other slow learners need to be cleaned out of the swamp. Beck jumps to here. His only difference with Rush and Levin is that for the moment, his vision is longer term.

3. But in addition, institutions need to be firewalled so that this kind of coup can’t happen again. That means the media, the schools and the intelligensia need to be purged. That will take a long time, but if it isn’t done, we will be back in the same place in 10 years. Nobody is talking much about it yet, because attention is rightly focused on 1 and 2. But it also has to happen.

notagool on February 23, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Because one can’t possibly strive for success and hold real convictions.

Disturb the Universe on February 23, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Same thing.

AnninCA on February 23, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 9:44 AM

That is what needs to be said. Those listed in the QOTD all agree with these statements. They just have huge egos and trouble expressing it like him. Ultimately, that’s the problem. We lack political leadership that isn’t about lining their own pockets at the sacrifice of regular Americans and seeking political power over their fellows and pundits able to articulate Conservativism like Reagan did.

I’m still waiting for the politican who is pure of heart and true to Conservative principles and can express that clearly and concisely without fear.

Sultry Beauty on February 23, 2010 at 10:45 AM

As has been mentioned already, Beck, Levin, Limbaugh, and Hannity all have something to offer to the conservative fight. I just don’t understand what purpose it serves for them to attack each other. They don’t need to agree on every subject; they just need to present their opinions and let us decide what we believe for ourselves. If their opinions differ, then that’s great for us; we have more information to dissect and study. I think Levin is brilliant but I stopped listening to his radio show because of his attacks on Beck. I also don’t listen to Hannity as much because he’s getting narcissistic and he’s hypocritical in his assessment of conservatives and liberals. He doesn’t hold conservatives to the same standards as he holds liberals. One of the things I loved that Glenn did was hold Debra Medina to the same standard as Van Jones when it came to the 9/11 truther issue. I’m definitely conservative, but I don’t want to go after liberals while ignoring the problems in the conservative movement. And that’s really what Glenn is about and what Levin and Limbaugh don’t understand: if we don’t hold our people to a high standard and demand ethical, honest behavior from them, then a third party will rise up. Let’s fight liberals, but let’s also make sure that our own party doesn’t implode because our backs were turned on them.

desertliving on February 23, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Meh, Beck’s been take-or-leave it for me, but he’s beginning to concern me.

To the extent that he does/says *anything* to help people think a third party is going to be a viable option, that’s a *very bad thing*.

I love Rush, but honestly, of the bunch, I think Levin is my fave.

Midas on February 23, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Sultry Beauty on February 23, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Reagan knew the way. It is true now as it was then.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Mark and Rush are spot on.

takeamericabackin10 on February 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I concur.

Cr4sh Dummy on February 23, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Oh and it helps when questioned or attacked by the media not to get angry like AB, because the accuse us of being DHS crazy, and use ample doses of humor. Kind of like how Ronald Reagan did when asked if he bears any if the responsiblity of the problems in government he replied, ” Yes because for many years I was a Democrat.”

Sultry Beauty on February 23, 2010 at 10:58 AM

I know one day he has convinced me we are fighting Fascism, the next we are fighting Socialism, then the next day Progressives are the enemy…It’s like old Hollywood Squares Game, he needs to pick a square, and the voice – personality in the square, that espouse the message, closest to his opinion.

And I think his A.D.H.D. is acting up ;)

Right now at this minute I think we have a “Fascism” problem in this country. Always follow the money, look at Wall Street’s influence “Goldman Sachs” look at GE etc….We have way too much corporate involvement in our Government, and they have lobbied politicians on both sides of the aisle.

The answer is to drain the swamp in November, some of those new people will fall to corporate influence, but in the mean time we can shake up their influence interrupt them looting – see bailouts tax payers in this country.

Dr Evil on February 23, 2010 at 11:01 AM

That’s because they’re all the same people.

desertliving on February 23, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Pablo on February 23, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Why is it insane for me to post the e-mail that DOH Communications Director, Janice Okubo, sent confirming that there are no pre-numbered birth certificates and the combination of date filed and certificate number on the Factcheck COLB is impossible?

READ MY LIPSTICK: THE HAWAII DOH HAS OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED IN TWO DIFFERENT WAYS NOW, THAT THE FACTCHECK COLB IS A FORGERY. READ THE BLOG; IT’S RIGHT THERE – FROM THE HORSE’S MOUTH.

justincase on February 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Okubo has also said that state law forbids her from TELLING ANYBODY if the Factcheck COLB is a forgery. I’ve got the quote on my blog, accessed from the main post at http://butterdezillion.wordpress.com/2010/01/11/red-flags-in-hawaii-2/

Anybody who said she had confirmed the Factcheck COLB because she didn’t tell us it was a forgery needs to comprehend: SHE THINKS SHE CAN’T SAY IF IT WAS A FORGERY.

But through official requests made that she is required to answer truthfully she has given the information necessary for us to know that it IS A FORGERY.

justincase on February 23, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I’d love to see Ron Paul debate Ben Stein, Mark Levin, or the rest of the loons.

The Dean on February 22, 2010 at 10:32 PM

You’ve got Ron Paul in there twice.

TheUnrepentantGeek on February 23, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I think Beck is smarter than Levin. Levin is sharp. Beck has better instinct and foresight.

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM

You think the self-professed “rodeo clown” is smarter than Levin.

Well ok then.

TheUnrepentantGeek on February 23, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Like all three. Levin really opened my eyes to conservative principles. Rush is a great pundit and very insightful in politics. Beck has enriched my life by educating me in US history and sealing my connection with the constitution.

They all serve a great purpose in the relm of informing and entertaining the public.

It’s all about egos as far as I can tell. I’m not going to change my feelings about any one of them based on what they say about each other. They are like three great friends to me, but have issues with each other.

ihasurnominashun on February 23, 2010 at 12:14 PM

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM

You think the self-professed “rodeo clown” is smarter than Levin.

Well ok then.

TheUnrepentantGeek on February 23, 2010 at 12:14 PM

That is funny. Mark Levin was Chief of Staff to the Attorney General of the United States. Current President of the Landmark Legal Foundation.

Glenn Beck was an alcoholic DJ. I’m glad he has gotten to where he is now, but come on, the comparison is not worthy even at first glance.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 12:19 PM