Quotes of the day

posted at 10:20 pm on February 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

“I have no idea what philosophy Glenn Beck is promoting. And neither does he. It’s incoherent. One day it’s populist, the next it’s libertarian bordering on anarchy, next it’s conservative but not really, etc. And to what end? I believe he has announced that he is no longer going to endorse candidates because our problems are bigger than politics. Well, of course, our problems are not easily dissected into categories, but to reject politics is to reject the manner in which we try to organize ourselves. This is as old as Plato and Aristotle. Why would conservatives choose to surrender the political battlefield to our adversaries — who are trashing this society –when we must retake it in order to preserve our society? Philosophy, politics, culture, family, etc., are all of one. Edmund Burke, among others, wrote about it extensively, and far better that I possibly can. But all elements of the civil society require our defense. Besides, why preach such a strategy when conservatism is on the rise and the GOP is acting more responsibly?

“Moreover, when he does discuss politics, which, ironically, is often, how can he claim today that there is no difference between the two parties when, but for the Republicans in Congress, government-run health care, cap-and-trade, card check, and a long list of other disastrous policies would already be law? The GOP is becoming more conservative thanks to the grass-roots movement and a political uprising across the country, which has even reached into New Jersey and Massachusetts. Why keep pretending otherwise? My only conclusion is that he is promoting a third party or some third way, which is counter-productive to defeating Obama and the Democrat Congress. These are perilous times and this kind of an approach will keep the statists in power for decades.

“And what of his flirtations with Ron Paul’s lunacy respecting America’s supposed provocations with her enemies, including al-Qaeda? Why should such a fatal defect in thinking be ignored? Do we conservatives agree with this?”

***
Via the Right Scoop.

***
Via the Radio Equalizer.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

I consider myself a Beck fan, but he’s starting to wear on me. Mark and Rush are spot on.

takeamericabackin10 on February 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM

No one saw this coming /s

MeatHeadinCA on February 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Luvs me some Mark Levin. I love GB’s analysis on some things–his analysis, mind you. His plans, however, are a little whacky sometimes. Levin’s and Limbaughs are far more sober and conservative.

ted c on February 22, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Hello, America.

Trusser13 on February 22, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Should post Glenn Beck’s response today from his show, where he states he’s not advocating third party and tells Republicans not to force a third party.

Enoxo on February 22, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Mark Levin has always hated Beck and no matter what Glenn says or does, Levin is going to look for any opportunity to slam him. Shame on you Levin!

Rush disappointed me today. Rush was patting himself on the back for his speech last year. Good for him. It was a good speech but each man has a different style, a different angle and delivery. Rush missed that one today. Today…Rush was all about Rush.

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I can only take GB in limited doses. I start getting neurotic when I listens to him too much. Not that I’m not neurotic enough after reading all of AP’s post, but at least their counterbalanced by Ed’s common sense a few hours later./

ted c on February 22, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Enoxo on February 22, 2010 at 10:25 PM

That doesn’t fit their narrative.

thomasaur on February 22, 2010 at 10:26 PM

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:25 PM

heard that too. It’s too bad Rush didn’t make a repeat performance. This year would have also been a great year for him there at CPAC.

ted c on February 22, 2010 at 10:27 PM

This while the democrats are imploding in front of our faces. Ha. Well fancy that!

SouthernGent on February 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM

The objective is to get republicans to stop f’ing going along with socialist agendas. Stop increasing entitlements and spending money and eroding our liberties.

kagai on February 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Limbaugh and Levin jumped the shark today…Big time!

Beck is advocating nothing more than getting back to a clean slate. Getting back on track. Challenging the Rep. Party to clean up its act and fly right.

Challenging any Democrat that has a brain left in his/her head to open their eyes and see their party has been hijacked.

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Hey, I like you Glenn, but please take this advice. It has worked for me.

When Mark Levin has something to say to you…

…shut up and listen.

Saltysam on February 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM

I’d love to see Ron Paul debate Ben Stein, Mark Levin, or the rest of the loons.

The Dean on February 22, 2010 at 10:32 PM

The part that slightly concerns me is the segment limited government types that demand change now. I would love that in an ideal world, but we live in a political one. It took the progressives almost 100 years, starting 1913, to get us to this point. I assume it is going to decades to reverse this progressive thinking. This will be long and neverending battle…we just need to keep pushing to the right.

WashJeff on February 22, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Yeah….Glenn Beck definitely has a place in the Conservative All-Star lineup, but he definitely is not (nor should he be) the leader of the Conservative movement. Impulse control and reflection are wonderful things. That being said, I think there is no doubt that he sincerely loves this country and wants to help it recover from its many ailments.

cynccook on February 22, 2010 at 10:33 PM

ted c on February 22, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Rush was great last year because Rush is exactly what the Conservatives needed to hear last year. A giant pep talk.

This year was different and Beck is exactly what the conservatives needed to hear. A detailed dissection of what the hell we’re dealing with!!

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:33 PM

If it’s Beck vs. Rush and Levin…Beck loses. He needs to listen up. I’ve always had a hard time taking him seriously, but this cements it. He’s wandered off course and needs to find his way back…fast. The ‘both parties are just the same’ mantra has been a favorite of the MSM for many years…when they want to trash Conservatives. His use of that term makes him very suspect now.

AUINSC on February 22, 2010 at 10:33 PM

What Levin does not understand, is that Beck’s philosophy is one that says… decide for yourself… look, question, research… but here are some things you may wish to look at that I found interesting….

Its like the difference between Islam, and Christianity (and I’m stealing this from a movie)…. Islam says Obey… Christianity says decide…

That is the EXACT debate we are having….. As some on the RIGHT… say obey…

Romeo13 on February 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Katy, I think you’re smarter than that. He just gave Beck some very sharp, well crafted advice.

He should take it.

Saltysam on February 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Yes, Glenn Beck is serving a great service when he exposes communists in the administration, but when he advocates a third party he risks keeping those in power who most wish to enslave us. Knock it off Beck! A more Conservative GOP is our friend. Victory must be fought from the inside or there will be no victory at all.

Ordinary1 on February 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Mark Levin would destroy Ron Paul in a debate. Sorry.

Marybeth on February 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM

It’s been healthy for me to turn all of them off for a while and take a break from it all. I loves me some politics but man, I need separation sometimes. I wish it were warmer so I could take the cycle for a ride and clear out the winter stuffiness.

Bishop on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Levin is a GOP Mullah Fluffer, he is all about the party and rarely takes them on.

thomasaur on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

I set my day to work around when Beck is on TV is will continue after that keynote. Working when on radio but I may find some station that carry later.

tjexcite on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

kagai on February 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Since Jan 2009 they have been doing that. If they gain the reigns of power in the House in Jan 2011, we keep up the pressure and remind them we are watching.

WashJeff on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

I think Glenn and Rush/Mark might be talking past each other. When I hear Beck say that both parties are they same, he’s talking about the past– the Bush years, and all the spending crap during that time. When I hear Rush/Mark say the Repubs are different, they give recent current examples about how they oppose healthcare etc.

So, in a way, both views are correct. It depends on how you look at it – past vs present.

akaag on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Saltysam on February 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Levin should do the same with Beck on occasion.

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

I wanna give Beck the benefit of the doubt. I’m sure he acknowledges there’s a difference between the GOP and the Dems. And I’m sure he’s appreciative of the Republican Party standing unified(with only the occasional defection) against the Obama-Pelosi-Reid agenda. And I’m almost certain he doesn’t want a third party emerging since even he knows it would be a disaster for the GOP.

But what I think is going on here is that he realizes they could still screw this up between now and November. He’s being hard on them(as are many of us conservatives) to make sure they don’t lose their momentum and don’t abandon the principles that have led them back from the brink and have them on the verge of retaking Congress.

That’s just my personal take. I could be wrong. Maybe he is just a clown like Levin alleges and he doesn’t know what the hell he’s doing. But I think there is a method to his madness.

Doughboy on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Divisions.
=====================

That is correct,the Tea Party Patriots all ready have
many Divisions!!!!
================================================
Division – 10,000 to 15,000 soldiers. Usually consisting of three brigade-sized elements and commanded by a major general, divisions are numbered and assigned missions based on their structures. The division performs major tactical operations for the corps and can conduct sustained battles and engagements.
============================================================
That would mean,of the total Patriots at DC.Washingtons
Tea Party,there was about,

100 Divisions that were mobilized!!

canopfor on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Anybody know what Mark Levin thinks of the Republicans attending on Thursday? Or what Rush feels about the same? I don’t care about these guys talking about each other any more than I care for bloggers talking about each other.

Marcus on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Levin & Rush both think it’s a mistake.

Marybeth on February 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM

The Dean on February 22, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Achtung!

Saltysam on February 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Levin is a GOP Mullah Fluffer,

thomasaur on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Agreed.

Question… Is that an Arab thing or a Scandinavian thing or both?

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Anybody know what Mark Levin thinks of the Republicans attending on Thursday?

Marcus on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

He basically thinks it’s a set-up and the GOP is stupid for going.

txag92 on February 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Thank you for posting this. Beck deserved at least some of the criticism he got for his speech. I liked Bill Bennett’s piece on the speech, too.

JannyMae on February 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I am some what of a fan of all these conservative celebrities, but then they are all just celebrities. Self promotion is just part of their jobs. As for whom I will vote and support, I make up my own mind.

d1carter on February 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Mark Levin is probably the biggest crybaby on radio. He constantly accused Beck of plagarizing him and that did not work; so, now he has gone to plan B. (acting like the jackass lawyer that he is)

mobydutch on February 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Oooh, let’s pit the 3 maj talkers against each other. That should be good for 250 inane comments…

daesleeper on February 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Levin should do the same with Beck on occasion.

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Well…

…how about a for instance?

Saltysam on February 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I don’t know if you guys heard Rush’s audio bits, wherein the MSM was actually preferring Rush to Beck, but it was very funny. Beck has done the impossible, he’s made Rush the “lesser of two evils”! So in this era of bipartisanship and moderation, I would gladly meet the Left in the middle, where Rush is. Got to love the ever moving middle, the never settled center.

Weight of Glory on February 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I listen to Rush every day (podcasts are best because no commercials, although it isn’t live), Beck and Levin if I happen to be in the car when they’re on (although Levin provides FREE podcasts of his show on iTunes). I stopped watching Fox News shows in the evening a while ago. Just can’t do it. That said, Beck is different on the radio and on TV. I could not listen to Beck everyday or I’d crack. He’s too gloomy and apocalyptic. His TV show is more instructive.

Rush had more to say about this topic than the 30 second clip above. He would’ve focused on the positives and what is good about Conservatism, i.e., promote the philosophy by convincing people of its virtue rather than going the negative route. I agree with Rush.

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Marcus on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

I second that.

myrenovations on February 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Mark Levin would destroy Ron Paul in a debate. Sorry.

Marybeth on February 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Levin doesn’t have the cojones.

The Dean on February 22, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Hey, I like you Glenn, but please take this advice. It has worked for me.

When Mark Levin has something to say to you…

shut up and listen remember who has the higher ratings.

Saltysam on February 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM

FIFY.

mizflame98 on February 22, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Levin is correct in his assessment; Beck is a fluffer.

Doorgunner on February 22, 2010 at 10:39 PM

I do agree with MahaRushie,there is no way,shape or form,
that Republicans are the same as Liberals!!

The Lefty MSM are gonna have an orgasmic field day,
with that particular phrase!!

canopfor on February 22, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Levin & Rush both think it’s a mistake.

Marybeth on February 22, 2010 at 10:37 PM

From the article above:
“conservatism is on the rise and the GOP is acting more responsibly?”

Responsibly? Great One?

Marcus on February 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Personality-wise, Beck is far more likable to me than Rush or Levin. But Glenn’s also wacky. Rush & Levin are right. Beck is dividing us.
Yes, the GOP overspent wildly from 2000-08. Not nearly as much as the Dems are now, but it was awful. I blame Bush. The President is the leader of his party. There was a lot of pressure for Republicans to follow the President’s agenda.
Now that a Dem is in the WH, the GOP is back to its principles. We need a conservative to run against BHO in ‘12 to keep the GOP on track.

jgapinoy on February 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Mark Levin would destroy Ron Paul Obama in a debate.

Marybeth on February 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM

txag92 on February 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Saltysam on February 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM

I think Beck is smarter than Levin. Levin is sharp. Beck has better instinct and foresight.

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Mark is a strait shooter, very much can be learned from the wisdom he brings to his audience.

la.rt.wngr on February 22, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Saltysam on February 22, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Their books. Levins book was dry and not as well written in my estimation. Levin took on a bit of history in the roots of Statism but Beck layed it out with much more detail and clarity.

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:43 PM

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:25 PM

This is how I see it as well. Beck addressed these issues on his show today. He made it clear he is not looking for a third party, but the republicans have to come along or conservatives will stop voting for them.

I’m starting to get discouraged listening to Hannity, Levin and Rush these days. They are starting to become pretty transparent in that they are ultimately for the “republican team” and not the “conservative team.” They are falling all over themselves to warn about the danger of 3rd parties, how the GOP is getting better, etc. Well, we’ll just see about that. It just seems like they will continue to support the least bad option as long as the candidate is a republican.

KickandSwimMom on February 22, 2010 at 10:43 PM

thomasaur on February 22, 2010 at 10:35 PM

His relentless assault on liberalism within the GOP is rarely taking them on?

Are you rarely awake?

Saltysam on February 22, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I agree with both Rush and Levin. This third party flirtation is very dangerous.I just don’t get Beck I guess. He must be an acquired taste.

sandee on February 22, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Levin does a excellent job of causing division within the Republican Party, and then, he blames Beck. What a clown.

mobydutch on February 22, 2010 at 10:44 PM

`The MSM will promote you,then destroy you`-Mark Levin
===============================================
Now in this day and age of political discourse
with the Left,I really do believe that most on
the Right know this!!!

canopfor on February 22, 2010 at 10:44 PM

I know it is hard for many people to believe but Beck may be much deeper philosophically than Rush or Mark is.

technopeasant on February 22, 2010 at 10:44 PM

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Levin thinks he’s smarter than everyone and if you don’t agree with him you’re an idiot. In my mind that makes him an elitist and not an elite. His claim to fame was working for Reagan and my question is what have you done for us lately?

thomasaur on February 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Holy cow. This really isn’t good stuff about Beck. He has a lot of Bill O’Reilly in him: http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=125949

“You’d be an idiot not to notice the temperature change,” he says. He also thinks it could be caused by man’s activity.

Beck also reveals he’s no fan of Ronald Reagan whom he blames for driving up the deficits.

“Republicans sold the American people out,” Beck says. “I’ve always said I was a Reagan-style conservative. But I don’t think Reagan was a real Republican. He just maintained some shared values.”

Michael Medved-ian? Does he like Eisenhower?

JKahn913 on February 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM

He’s never endorsed candidates and his rationale is that he doesn’t want to put his credibility on the line vouching for a politician. They tend to let you down, he says. He also hasn’t announced that he’s going to stop beating his wife.

I’ve been listening to Glenn Beck for about 6 years and I have no idea what Levin is talking about.

Pablo on February 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Levin and Limbaugh have better things to do — I would like to think so, anyway — than talk smack about Beck. It doesn’t put either of them in a better light.

There’s plenty to criticize about all three: Beck is sometimes sloppy, sometimes unclear (as witness competing claims about the “third-party” nonsense). Levin is always shrill, always my-way-or-the-highway. Limbaugh is a bloated egomaniac.

I’ve had my fill of all the analytical BS from the talkers. When one of them actually stands up for something and is willing to put their popularity on the line to lead the charge against the totalitarian thugs, I’ll be a fan.

MrScribbler on February 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM

I’m not a Glen Beck fan, that speech was the longest I have listened to him at one time. Him going over the top too much is what keeps me away. But he did say some good things. He said some things that would have been better left unsaid.

And, so far, he’s the only activist that has driven a communist from the Obama White House. Beck can’t be all bad. Beck may not be the perfect warrior, but he is fighting, as are others. Perhaps such critiques are better left for those on the left.

Hog Wild on February 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Here is Beck own rebuttal to those who did not like his speech h/t therightscoop

tjexcite on February 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM

sandee on February 22, 2010 at 10:44 PM

That’s the problem. You and many others assume that Beck is advocating for a 3rd party. I don’t know how much clearer during the CPAC speech that the Republicans need to get back to their conservative roots in order to save this country.

mizflame98 on February 22, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Not too pull an AnninCA *LOL, but I don’t really listen/read Levin so I don’t feel I can comment on him. I love listening to Rush. The entertainment alone is worth it! I’ve also seen how Rush has made peace with certain people that he knows are on his side that might not always agree with him. I don’t think we have to worry about a huge Beck-Rush feud anytime soon. That brings me to Beck. I sometimes like watching his show. I appreciate how he’s really pointed a lot out to the Right. He definitely filled a void.

All this said, I’m just not feeling like jumping on Beck or Rush… Levin? I don’t know… don’t really care…

MeatHeadinCA on February 22, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Glenn is anti progressive (rino) and they are in both parties.The key is to primary out the progressives from the repubs and to support Constitutional Government.He is just a high school teacher not a Professor Emeritus like Rush and Mark.

tim c on February 22, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Enoxo on February 22, 2010 at 10:25 PM

That’s today. Tomorrow Beck may be going on again about how both parties are equally bad, or how George Bush is at least semi-criminal, or criticizing Sarah Palin for endorsing Rick Perry (“She’s in TROUBLEEE…..”) when the alternatives are Hutchison or Medina. I like Beck’s radio show, but Levin has a good point there regardless of his personal animus against Beck.

ddrintn on February 22, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I don’t see the harm in what Beck is doing, which as I understand it is aiming to pressure Republicans into acting how Republicans should act when and where possible.

I do see three giants taking up what they think is space only big enough for 1 or 2. Feathers are ruffled.

Free Constitution on February 22, 2010 at 10:47 PM

People with strong personalities like these three are not going to think in lockstep on forty different issues. So what?

Beck has the intense fervor of a newer convert, Rush and Levin are seasoned players. They will work it out. They have much more in common than in disagreement.

Meremortal on February 22, 2010 at 10:48 PM

My take on Beck is that the only thing he is promoting is himself. There I said it. Have at me.

sandee on February 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM

mizflame98 on February 22, 2010 at 10:46 PM

+10

You’re right. Beck is doing much what Reagan and other conservatives and libertarians have done and are doing … The GOP should be the vehicle of the right… Not so long ago, that notion was in question because of some of the behavior of the party and some of the self-declared party leaders (example: Big-tent-except-for-you-all Frum). Beck (and MANY others) are simply saying, “Hey, give us back our vehicle!”

MeatHeadinCA on February 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM

[quote]The GOP is becoming more conservative thanks to the grass-roots movement and a political uprising across the country, which has even reached into New Jersey and Massachusetts. [/quote]

I don’t disagree with Mark Levin often… but just WHY does he think the GOP is becoming more conservative? Could it possibly be that their constituents are demanding it? And isn’t Glenn Beck just one more guy… demanding it?

Liberals don’t believe we have brains to think with. They believe that we NEED Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity, Mark Levin and Glenn Beck to tell us what to think. Liberals believe we’re innately STUPID.

Glenn Beck is just one voice. He’s a guy with his own thoughts and he has a couple of different platforms with which to share them. But… he doesn’t do our thinking for us.

It’s a mistake for conservatives to take up back-biting about whose going to “control the message”. We’re conservatives BECAUSE we reject “the message” being spoon-fed to us.

We’ll enter into all sorts of political conversation between now and election day. Some days it’ll be quite argumentative and divisive on its face. But, at the bottom line… we’re not morons who don’t understand that we’ll get “Ross Perot-ed” if don’t come together at lever-pulling time.

Mark should have a little faith.

Murf76 on February 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM

All three are heros, in my book.

Beck is more impetuous and should listen to Mark and Rush on this one.

notagool on February 22, 2010 at 10:50 PM

KickandSwimMom on February 22, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Yes. Hannity does this. Drives me crazy. He rarely challenges Newt and Newt is a huge problem. Newt is old school. He still doesn’t understand what we’re up against.

Beck is ripping the curtain away from the entire system and exposing the filth in both parties and the first party to get its house cleaned up will be the party that will lead.

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Are you rarely awake?

Saltysam on February 22, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I stopped listening to him when he began reading his last book on the air. I found his lack of show prep amateurish. Anyone who has spend a large part of their show denigrating someone who basically has the same vision of America I find petty and not worth my time. Inform me or get off of my radio.

thomasaur on February 22, 2010 at 10:50 PM

For my money I’ll take Levin, Styne and Miller.
A like Rush and Beck too.

Savage and Oreilly you can have.

TheSitRep on February 22, 2010 at 10:50 PM

sandee on February 22, 2010 at 10:49 PM

No. I think that both he and Rush are full of themselves — you don’t get to their level in their profession without being full of yourself — but they’re both sincere.

ddrintn on February 22, 2010 at 10:50 PM

KickandSwimMom on February 22, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Rush is for the “Republican team”? You obviously don’t listen to him on a regular basis. He has been hammering the Republicans consistently and continually promotes Conservatism. The reality is our political system is set up for two parties. Third parties don’t work well for long-term change. Rush’s mantra has been for the GOP to return to its Reagan roots and stop being Dem lite.

Hannity says the same thing too (like a broken record!)–he’s a Reagan Conservative and we need candidates that embrace and promote those ideals.

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2010 at 10:51 PM

The truth is, people are upset at both republicans and democrats. You should have read some of the things posted on Brown’s facebook page about how he voted for the jobs bill. They don’t care what party you are in, they just want the spending to stop and to keep your word.

deidre on February 22, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Levin keeps hoping against all hope that he can get rid of Glenn Beck. It isn’t going to happen, Levin. He may make mistakes, but he comes across as likeable. Levin on the other hand, comes across as a hateful old koot who thinks his poop does not stink.

mobydutch on February 22, 2010 at 10:52 PM

thomasaur on February 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM

That is exactly why I can’t stomach Levin much.

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:52 PM

thomasaur on February 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Don’t you mean Savage?

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2010 at 10:53 PM

katy on February 22, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Your implication was that Levin needed to heed Beck’s advice, too. I was asking what advice is that?

I understand Beck was inspired by Goldberg and Skousen and compelled to write the book, and that’s great, but it is a change of subject of sorts.

Saltysam on February 22, 2010 at 10:54 PM

deidre on February 22, 2010 at 10:51 PM

I feel the same way, but forming some stupid Tea Party Party is only going to help Democrats. That sort of thing would be a d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r. It’s how we got 8 years of Horndog Bill.

ddrintn on February 22, 2010 at 10:54 PM

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Yes, they say they are conservatives but when push comes to shove they will vote for a squishy republican and excuse it by saying it is better than the democrat. We cannot clean out the party that way.

Oh, and I listen to Rush and Hannity EVERY day.

KickandSwimMom on February 22, 2010 at 10:54 PM

For my money I’ll take Levin, Styne and Miller.
A like Rush and Beck too.

Savage and Oreilly you can have.

TheSitRep on February 22, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Does Mark Steyn have his own radio show? If he doesn’t he really should. I love listening to him.

mizflame98 on February 22, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I fault Beck for getting too close to Ron Paul. Certainly he knows of Ron Paul’s ties to anti-semite/holocaust denier groups! ( http://townhall.com/blog/g/77711671-de32-47da-a721-8f606d586ad0 )

I fault Levin and Limbaugh for not allotting more time – daily – to effect change within the dysfunctional Republican Party. And the Conservative Movement. Folks of their stature have the power to effect change from the top down. Instead they spend most of their days telling us what we already know about the Constitution-hating democrats.

And Limbaugh, Coulter, etc have just sat back and let the Tea Party folks change the GOP. Not wanting to get their hands dirty. And of course these Tea Partiers are starting to get discouraged and weary.

I find myself turning my radio back over to FM – golden oldies. DD

Darvin Dowdy on February 22, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Rush, Levin, and the American Thinker are WRONG. They are misunderstanding what Beck is doing. He’s not criticizing Rubio and the newcomers. He’s criticizing the establishment and the big spenders in the party. It’s just that simple.

And Levin…well, he does love to attack the “back bencher”. he plays that fiddle all the time.

Beck is right though. The republican party hasn’t had the “come to Jesus moment” yet.

therightscoop on February 22, 2010 at 10:58 PM

deidre on February 22, 2010 at 10:51 PM

This is one of the few times that I disagree with Rush and Mark, in their criticism of Beck, I would equate Beck’s speech to a director’s unusual take on Romeo and Juliet. Compare the traditional film in which Leslie Howard starred as Romeo in the 1930′s and then the updated version with Leonardo di Caprio in the title role-completely high-tech, off-beat or bizarre but centered around the same theme of tragedy caused by young love.

technopeasant on February 22, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I’d like to defend Beck on something, since it seems as though poor Beck is getting it on all sides now. Beck’s position on the two parties (indeed on all things) I have found to always be extremely unguarded. This makes his audience respect the guy because you really believe he’s leaving nothing out. But it can also paint him into a corner. I think that’s what happened with respect to the whole “both parties are the same!!!!” stuff. After 2006, and after Bush pushed TARP, and after McCain lost, and when the Republicans were all supporting Obama out of a desire to show themselves “respectful” to the newly minted President, I too was beginning to wonder if there was any real difference between the two parties. I believe Beck was at the same place as well, and simply began to communicate that idea. Over the course of the year, however, Beck’s focus has become more honed in on Progressivism and its manifestation in both parties. His view of the two parties themselves has become more nuanced. The problem, however, is that he’s now only seen as the guy who’s saying “there’s no difference between the two parties”, a blanket claim that he even backed away from this morning. He’s helped the GOP in so many ways, which would make no sense if he really believed that the GOP was no better than the Dems. In fact, it can be said that at this point Beck is one commentator who really isn’t focusing on the parties at all. He’s focused on one thing right now: stopping the progressive agenda and ideology as they manifest themselves in either party. And he’s not going to allow party affiliation to blunt any criticism he may have. He is setting out to do this by doing two things: educate as many people as possible on what progressivism is, its history, its ugly consequences, and its current manifestations; and second to educate as many people as possible about the founders and their underlying political philosophy. There. That’s my defense of Glenn Beck.

Weight of Glory on February 22, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Levin on Beck is wrong, no big surprise. Beck on his radio show today said he did not want a 3rd party…he wants the Republicans to purge progressivism and Democrats to purge progressivism. Beck is about Restoration, not Revolution or Evolution.

Conservative Voice on February 22, 2010 at 10:59 PM

thomasaur on February 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Don’t you mean Savage?

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2010 at 10:53 PM

I think they’re both the same person. They both have whiny and annoying voices and they both complain a lot. They both insult people who they disagree with and they both think they’re better than everyone else…especially their conservative rivals. Remember, you never see them in the same room together.

mizflame98 on February 22, 2010 at 11:00 PM

kagai on February 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM

I have a real problem with the bolded part of this statement. What liberties are the Republicans eroding in 2009/2010? Please fill us all in. It sounds great, I know, when so many talkers foam at the mouth blathering generalities. But in reality, what LIBERTIES are the Republicans taking away from you? Even Scott Brown voting for the jobs bill… what liberty is in there that he’s ripped form your hands?

/rant

Vincenzo on February 22, 2010 at 11:00 PM

mizflame98 on February 22, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Beck may have changed his tune this past weekend, but he’s been pushing the third party meme for a while. So, why is it surprising when people assume he’s for something that he has consistently touted until recently?

conservative pilgrim on February 22, 2010 at 11:00 PM

therightscoop on February 22, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I don’t see how he could tell. For one thing, they’ve been out of power since 2007. And after all, they’ve hung pretty tough as a party so far against the Obama-Pelosi-Reid agenda.

ddrintn on February 22, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Beck is like the new kid on the block with Levin, and Levin is very threatened by Beck. During his show, Levin loves to drop names. For instance, he wants everyone to know that he is in regular contact with Rush and Hannity. It gets very old. I am glad that Beck came along because the Republican party has never had someone really question where they stood.

mobydutch on February 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM

That’s the problem, Mark, they’re “acting“—it’s not a real sea change within the party. The R party machine still has the same mechanics. If you think that the machine is all fixed now and that their act isn’t just another show to attract tea party voters and regain power, (then only to return to their big-government solutions after the election), you’re sadly mistaken. Naiveté like that doesn’t inspire confidence.

And, Mark, since you’ve endorsed Hayworth over McCain on this same principle that I just summarized above, (which is the same point that Beck was making)—that McCain has only been “acting” conservative to get reelected—then it would seem that your criticism of Beck is empty.

I’m a Levin fan, but if he thinks that the R party is hunky dory just the way it is, the way it’s been in recent years, count me in Beck’s corner on this one.

FloatingRock on February 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM

*Sigh*….
Glenn doesn’t say they are the same. He says they are taking us to the same place on different time lines.

-Wasteland Man.