Quotes of the day

posted at 10:20 pm on February 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

“I have no idea what philosophy Glenn Beck is promoting. And neither does he. It’s incoherent. One day it’s populist, the next it’s libertarian bordering on anarchy, next it’s conservative but not really, etc. And to what end? I believe he has announced that he is no longer going to endorse candidates because our problems are bigger than politics. Well, of course, our problems are not easily dissected into categories, but to reject politics is to reject the manner in which we try to organize ourselves. This is as old as Plato and Aristotle. Why would conservatives choose to surrender the political battlefield to our adversaries — who are trashing this society –when we must retake it in order to preserve our society? Philosophy, politics, culture, family, etc., are all of one. Edmund Burke, among others, wrote about it extensively, and far better that I possibly can. But all elements of the civil society require our defense. Besides, why preach such a strategy when conservatism is on the rise and the GOP is acting more responsibly?

“Moreover, when he does discuss politics, which, ironically, is often, how can he claim today that there is no difference between the two parties when, but for the Republicans in Congress, government-run health care, cap-and-trade, card check, and a long list of other disastrous policies would already be law? The GOP is becoming more conservative thanks to the grass-roots movement and a political uprising across the country, which has even reached into New Jersey and Massachusetts. Why keep pretending otherwise? My only conclusion is that he is promoting a third party or some third way, which is counter-productive to defeating Obama and the Democrat Congress. These are perilous times and this kind of an approach will keep the statists in power for decades.

“And what of his flirtations with Ron Paul’s lunacy respecting America’s supposed provocations with her enemies, including al-Qaeda? Why should such a fatal defect in thinking be ignored? Do we conservatives agree with this?”

***
Via the Right Scoop.

***
Via the Radio Equalizer.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Rush and Levin did a great job of exposing and taking down Van Jones and Anita Dunn…

Oh, wait nevermind…

Rush WHO?

JohnBG on February 23, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Rush WHO?

JohnBG on February 23, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Glenn Beck is nowhere near Rush in stature. The liberal scalps Rush has collected over 21 years fill an entire wing of the Limbaugh Museum of Broadcasting. Beck would tell you that himself, I am sure.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Yesterday’s news… Yesterday’s news… Old news at that…

Rush WAS, Beck IS…

JohnBG on February 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM

That is funny. Mark Levin was Chief of Staff to the Attorney General of the United States. Current President of the Landmark Legal Foundation.

Glenn Beck was an alcoholic DJ. I’m glad he has gotten to where he is now, but come on, the comparison is not worthy even at first glance.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Barack Obama was president of the Harvard Law Review, Illinois state senator, US senator for Illinois and POTUS, but you don’t see anyone with half a brain saying that makes Obama the authority on anything. I don’t see how Levin’s resume makes him a greater authority than Beck when all he does is complain while Beck actually accomplishes something.

mizflame98 on February 23, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Rush just pointed out on his show that he has a policy of not talking about whether he agrees or disagrees with anyone that does what he does. He told a caller (paraphaser), ‘I understand how you feel. I get thousands of emails from people like you each day. The Democrats suck, the Republicans suck, but I’m not gonna say you suck. But instead of sitting behind your computer complaining about how everyone sucks, why don’t you go out and do something about it.”

Sorry, AllahPundit. He’s not agreeing with you and he’s not gonna give you the proper and honest soundbite.

Levin loves to yell at people. That’s why he’ll never have an overall appeal like some others. To this end, Rush pointed out that we are in the 1st inning of this and we’re they ones doing well. Obama is the one getting pummeled. That the in-fighting amongst whose express our message the best is gonna hand the other side the win. Even screaming about a Sen. Brown who does what New England style Republicans have done since the beginning is a waste of breathe. It’s still better than Kennedy. Our side is not the enemy. And if we wanna get it back to is former glory we have look at the long view, and be active ourselves and not expect the machine to do it for us.

All I can say is, “AMEN!” And this is why AllahPundit posts this stuff. Because just like how all the in-fighting he helped foster going after teh Fred! and others because we didn’t all jump up and go for his beloved Rudy helped earn us the McCain candidacy, our core beliefs gave us a Palin. Now get a Palin, man or woman, who can speak direct and simply then we got a winner. But stop letting Libertarians direct your thoughts by posting this stuff. If you’re a Conservative, read past the meme and realize these people do not have your best interests in mind.

Sultry Beauty on February 23, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Beautiful! He just said, “Ideas not personalities is what matters.”

YOU TELL ‘EM RUSH!! EIB, INDEED!

Sultry Beauty on February 23, 2010 at 1:15 PM

This is what drives me crazy about Levin. As brilliant as he is, his time is wasted in complaining about Beck. I’m smart enough to know whether or not I like Beck and what he’s saying. I don’t need Levin to tell me — nor do I understand Levin’s need to tell me. He’s wasting good air time complaining instead of teaching. There’s a place for all of the radio personalities — they all serve a unique purpose.

desertliving on February 23, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Gotta say that Beck is really right on it. I’ve been a Rush subscriber since 2006, been listening to Beck since early 2009. Last week I let my Rush subscription slide. I’m trying to save money – but also don’t have time to listen to both.

I enjoy both of them and believe they both bring a lot to the table and speak a lot of truth. The things I can say about them both:

Beck speaks truth and investigates everything and is very entertaining. He’s educated and brings that information to his listeners. I truly believe that he doesn’t have any faith in the parties and truly believes what he says. I also believe that he’s not sure what the answer is, nor does he want to be tied to any of the crazies out there. When it comes to politics – Rush is King, Hannity is on it – but Beck is drawing people and becoming so popular because of things like: VALUES. He’s right, you elect people with a strong sense of moral values and that is what we have a deficit of in this country. There is always going to be some level of corruption and indecency – but the fact is that “politics” has just become a game.

Rush is entertaining and truthful about his thoughts. He clearly supports the Republican party and even had Sen Arlen Specter on to promote his book a while back. He gave an explanation on that, but he did it because of the party affiliation. Rush defends the party and brings us to a “well they’re better than the other guys”. That’s not acceptable to me anymore. I still love to listen to Rush, and he has a lot of important things to say, but as Beck says, both parties are taking us to the same place – one faster than the other. I must agree with Rush that a third party sounds like a losing battle, but what is the point of replacing Dems with Repubs if the Repubs just do the same thing. That’s just false though that people say that’s why we don’t have healthcare and carbon taxes because of the Republicans – the dems stopped it with all their infighting!!

charlie36r on February 23, 2010 at 1:15 PM

all he does is complain while Beck actually accomplishes something.

mizflame98 on February 23, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I do not listen to Levin, so I do not know this first-hand, but I have heard that he repeatedly attacks Beck. I have been a Beck fan from his Tampa days, and I listen to him a lot. I have never heard him retaliate. I have never heard him even mention Levin, ever. Nor have I heard or read Beck take any shot at any other talk radio guy (on the right). People say Levin’s brilliant, but that doesn’t make him classy.

entropent on February 23, 2010 at 1:17 PM

mizflame98 on February 23, 2010 at 1:08 PM

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Accomplishing something? Mark Levin has been accomplishing substantive victories for the conservative cause for 40 years.

He was involved in Reagan’s campaigns in ’76 and ’80. He served in Reagan’s administration in several capacities before being CoS for AGoUS. Landmark Legal Foundation got Clinton disbarred, sued the EPA for destroying subpoenaed documents, taking the National Education Association to court for illegal political fund raising.

Don’t get me wrong, I like what Glenn has been doing for the most part. Saying he has accomplished more than Levin or Rush for that matter is just inaccurate and stupid, and shows your ignorance on that which you comment.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 1:32 PM

You have no idea what you are talking about.

He was involved in Reagan’s campaigns in ‘76 and ‘80. He served in Reagan’s administration in several capacities before being CoS for AGoUS. Landmark Legal Foundation got Clinton disbarred, sued the EPA for destroying subpoenaed documents, taking the National Education Association to court for illegal political fund raising.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 1:32 PM

For one thing, I haven’t even mentioned Rush. Second, I didn’t say that Beck is doing more. I’m pointing out that beck is doing something while Levin complains. Unless you can show me what Levin has done lately, I say you’re the one who is inaccurate, stupid, and ignorant.

mizflame98 on February 23, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Yesterday’s news… Yesterday’s news… Old news at that…

Rush WAS, Beck IS…

JohnBG on February 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Rush IS. If Rush wasn’t, Beck would be spinning discs for FM drivetime. Get a clue.

Rush is the king of talk radio, period. 25 million listeners, most widely read political newsletter in America. TODAY. These are just the facts. Beck would acknowledge this himself. I have heard him say just last week Rush is one of his heroes.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 1:50 PM

GB comes across as an unstable loose cannon, badly in need of a drink.

OmahaConservative on February 23, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I won’t vote for a third party either but I would be lying if I said I was excited about anybody. But that’s okay, if a leader is apparent too early the press and the Left (but I repeat myself)will anything and everything to destroy him/her. Right now it’ like being on a roller coaster, interesting, funny and scary.
Cindy Munford on February 23, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Cindy, I’ll have a bottle of Dramamine in my purse ready for those roller coaster rides….I have a feeling it will be like being at Six Flags every day from now on.

yoda on February 23, 2010 at 1:56 PM

mizflame98 on February 23, 2010 at 1:48 PM

First of all, I did not say that you are stupid and ignorant, although you may be persuading me otherwise.

I said what you said was ignorant of that facts.

National Review Online – Called to the Principal’s Office – Judgement day for the NEA

December 03, 2003 By Kate OBeirne, Washington Editor

The nation’s largest teachers’ union may soon come to regret the educational-policy buzzwords “accountability” and “testing.” The Internal Revenue Service is currently auditing the National Education Association and students of the NEA’s political practices are betting that the powerful union’s “new math” approach to its returns will flunk under long-overdue examination. A convincing stack of documents collected by the Landmark Legal Foundation reveals that for the past ten years the millions of tax-exempt funds that the 2.7-million-member union spends on political activity has wound up amounting to “zero” on its tax returns.

“The IRS is potentially in the position, if it does its job, to collect tens of millions in corporate taxes owed,” says Mark R. Levin, the tenacious president of Landmark (he is also an NRO contributor) who first filed a formal complaint against the NEA with the IRS in 2000. The NEA claims it got a clean bill of health from an IRS review of its 1993 return, but that’s history. Landmark’s thorough critique begins with the union’s 1994 return and rests on recent evidence unavailable to the IRS during any previous review.

It is perfectly legal for the NEA to use members’ dues to support political activity. The catch is that such expenditures must be fully accounted for and taxes must be paid on any tax-exempt general revenues that are spent on politics. “Political expenditures” that must be reported on tax returns are those “intended to influence the selection, nomination, election, or appointment of anyone to a federal, state, or local public office….”

LANDMARK FORCES CALIFORNIA TEACHERS UNION

TO REFUND POLITICAL FUNDS TO TEACHERS

(LEESBURG, VA)…Landmark Legal Foundation won a significant victory recently when it forced the California Teachers Union (CTA) to offer full refunds to nonunion, fee paying teachers for a special $60 per teacher assessment that the union is using to fund a $50 million campaign to defeat ballot initiatives in the November 5 special election.

Landmark filed a complaint on September 14 with the California Public Employment Relations Board (PERB) documenting how the union’s special assessment would be used to retire a $50 million debt amassed for the sole purpose of financing a campaign to defeat initiatives 75, 76 and others on the November ballot. Under state law, teachers who are not members of the union, but who are required to pay a fee for collective bargaining representation, are allowed to seek a refund of any part of their fee used for political purposes. After Landmark filed its complaint, the CTA notified nonmember teachers that the full $60 surcharge will be refunded to all fee payers who request it by November 15, 2005.

Landmark Files IRS Complaint Against Colorado Teachers’ Unions

CEA, affiliate uses staff as campaign organization for state senate candidate

(LEESBURG, VA)… Landmark Legal Foundation, the organization that uncovered massive abuse of federal tax, election and labor laws by the nation’s largest teacher’s union, has filed a complaint with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), alleging flagrant and widespread violations of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) by the Colorado Education Association (CEA) and the Poudre, Colorado Education Association (PEA).

Landmark’s complaint details how the CEA and the PEA employed union staff members, including PEA’s president and office manager, for several weeks to work full time as de facto campaign managers for the 2004 candidacy of Democrat Bob Bacon for the Colorado State Senate. The costs associated with the unions’ expenditures on behalf of the campaign (staff salaries and benefits, travel expenses, etc.) are all required by the IRC to be reported on the unions’ federal tax returns as in-kind political contributions. Neither the CEA nor the PEA reported any political spending for the 2004 tax year.

“The leaders of the CEA and the PEA appear to have turned their unions over lock, stock and barrel to the Bob Bacon for Senate campaign,” explained Landmark President Mark R. Levin. “Hundreds of man-hours and tens of thousands in tax-exempt, teachers’ dues were used for no other purpose than to elect a candidate who would do the unions’ bidding in the state Senate.”

There are three examples of the ongoing fight against leftwing teacher’s unions and the alliance with the left against parents and students best interests.

Dear Friends,

Landmark Legal Foundation is presently engaged in a two front battle – the most ambitious and arguably the most important we’ve ever faced. It is quite literally a battle for America’s future.

We’re confronting the nation’s chief obstacle to substantive education reform – the NEA – not only at the national level, but in the states where the union spends millions in tax exempt funds on unreported and hence illegal political activities. In the coming months we will launch the first wave of complaints against key NEA state affiliates. In addition, the Foundation will undertake a major outreach initiative to regional, national and specialty media and key opinion leaders to garner attention and caste the spectrum of public debate where it belongs – on the actions of a union that has no respect for the law. Landmark’s complaints and public outreach efforts will bring to the state unions the same unremitting and unwelcome scrutiny from governmental agencies and the media that has resulted in a full IRS field audit and Labor Department investigation of the national union.

We are also challenging what may be the most insidious legacy of modern liberalism – judicial activism and the radical judges who use it to advance an extremist social agenda. America’s courts have become the final bulwark for the advocates of big government who have been defeated time after time at the ballot box at the local, state and federal level. Through an aggressive and multifaceted public education campaign, Landmark’s Judicial Reform Initiative is helping to reshape the public debate and crystallize public sentiment about the mission of America’s courts and the proper limits on their authority. With the Roberts Nomination to the the Supreme Court currently before the Senate – as well as the ongoing controversy about filibusters in the Senate over nominees to federal district and appeals courts, this has become one of Landmark’s highest priorities.

It is not an overstatement to say that we are at one of the most pivotal junctures in Landmark’s history. What we do in the months ahead will literally set the course for our efforts for years to come. The complaints we’re going to file could create significant public and legal pressure on the NEA that may force the union to finally comply with federal tax, election and labor laws. And the battle over the next Supreme Court nominee could help shape the scope and reach of the Court’s power for the next generation of Americans.

We do not know how these battles will be resolved, but we do know that we will do everything we can to achieve the goals we’ve set. We never promise more than we can deliver, but we deliver everything we promise. And we know that the success we achieve is due directly to the individuals and organizations who support our efforts. Now, more than ever, Your support will make a difference.

Sincerely,

Mark R. Levin

President

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Conservative Group Calls For Probe Of Conyers
Wife’s Case Raises Disclosure Issue

A conservative legal foundation this week urged the House ethics panel to investigate Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers Jr. (D-Mich.) as new details emerged about his wife’s involvement in a Detroit bribery scheme.

Though Monica Conyers, a Detroit City Council member, pleaded guilty last month and admitted taking several thousand dollars in the scheme, charges filed Wednesday against one of her former top aides allege that the councilwoman took at least $65,000 from people seeking contracts from the council or a pension board on which she sat in 2006 and 2007.

The Landmark Legal Foundation, which has offices in Leesburg, this week urged members of the House ethics panel to investigate whether Conyers violated rules by failing to report on his financial disclosure forms payments his wife accepted improperly.

The foundation also raised questions about a 2007 letter in which the congressman urged the Environmental Protection Agency to expedite the permitting process for a waste well project that would have benefited a businessman who had contributed to his wife. The letter originated in Monica Conyers’s office.

A spokesman for Rep. Conyers has said the congressman supported the project because it would have helped his constituents, including retired firefighters and police officers.

Through a spokesman, Conyers declined to comment yesterday on the Landmark letter. Conyers has previously declined to say whether he would amend his financial disclosure forms.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 2:12 PM

About Mark R. Levin

Mark R. Levin is president of Landmark Legal Foundation. Previously he served as Landmark’s director of legal policy for more than three years. He has worked as an attorney in the private sector and as a top adviser and administrator to several members of President Reagan’s cabinet. Levin served as chief of staff to the attorney general of the United States, deputy assistant secretary for elementary and secondary education at the U.S. Department of Education, and deputy solicitor of the U.S. Department of Interior. He holds a B.A. from Temple University, where he graduated Phi Beta Kappa and magna cum laude, and a J.D. from Temple University School of Law. He also served on the Cheltenham Township (Pa.) school board.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 2:17 PM

This is just what I could find with an easy search.

Liberty and Tyranny 1.2 million hardback sold and counting…

Men in Black

Two best selling books universally praised by conservatives everywhere as very important works for the movement.

These are a few of the things Mark Levin has done lately for all of us, just what I could round up off the top of my head. I’m sure there is more, since his record goes back for more than three decades.

Glenn Beck is doing some good things recently himself, but he isn’t in Levin’s league. That is just the truth.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 2:46 PM

A-men! And thank you for the research, Brian.

OmahaConservative on February 23, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Brian is on Levin’s payroll or something. Brian has been ranting now for two days. Levin has really become a childish whinner, and I guess his digs fit his voice as both are very, very annoying. I agree, Levin is NOT in Beck’s league, and that is why Levin is #7 in talk radio and Beck is #3.

mobydutch on February 23, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Beck is an inconsistent a$$-whole that speaks before he thinks. And I am making a giant leap of faith and giving him the benefit of doubt that he has any critical thinking skills, in my previous statement..

At CPAC he is railing against progressivism while saying in the same speech he educated himself at one of those progressive/socialist institutions, the “public library“, which is funded by tax dollars. If he was thinking, which is hard to do for him, or consistent with what he says he supposedly believes in, he would have said> “I educated myself with the books I bought myself”.

Bill Blizzard on February 23, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Also, Brian, there is no need to copy a book about Levin. If I wanted to read an autobiography, I will go to other sources besides HA.

mobydutch on February 23, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 2:46 PM

So? Levin may have done good things but he’s still wasting his and our time whining about Beck. And he’s done it often enough to be truly pathetic. I’m not a fan of any of them and I certainly won’t try to convince people any one is better than the other.

Deanna on February 23, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Beck is awfully inconsistent from one day to the other and it’s hard if not impossible to put in context what he is actually trying to communicate or achieve in the long-term…I just hope it’s not all about self-preservation…I never really quite liked him but for most part I didn’t (and still don’t) mind his flamboyant style, coz I’ve always thought he’s done a great job at educating people about a series of issues, about the US past and present, political, historical and otherwise, and I thought that some form of histrionics and theatrics is needed and might be just the right vehicle to transmit that kind of knowledge and get people’s attention…but sometimes I wonder what is it with his ‘dyslexia’ when it comes to conveying a simple and overall consistent message? I simply don’t understand what he is trying to convey or achieve…he keeps ranting about oh my, we should put real conservatives in office, that’s fine, but how will you know, as a voter, if a person is a true conservative or not…you have to take them at their word and face value till they prove they’re not that conservative… if what he’s trying to do is simply promote new names and faces on the conservative ticket, that’s fine but he/we might be in for a great disappointment, people change once in power, or the candidate that you supported may prove less conservative than what they campaigned as, and so on…and what is one to do then? you can only exercise your vote every 4 years…but for 4 years there’s nothing you can do about it if you elected the wrong republican…so all his ranting and screaming his lungs out won’t change that fact, unelss what he really wants is anarchy…and sometimes he does sound like he’s flirting with the idea…then the next day denies it all, and tries to convince everybody of what a law-abiding and exemplary citizen he is and all…I…he comes across as slightly multiple personality at times…

jimver on February 23, 2010 at 6:31 PM

mobydutch on February 23, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Ok, look. This is the truth. Levin is upset at Beck for lifting things from him without attribution, and he doesn’t like his goofy style. He also doesn’t like the flirtations with the isolationists like Ron Paul. That is his right.

When you are talking about advancing the conservative movement, Levin wins hands down. No contest. Period.

Some of you seem to have some emotional attachment to this man Beck, and I’m starting to think he has a cult following.

(kidding about the cult….relax)

I’m not hating on Beck, as I said I like the guy and what he has put together at FOX. To say he has surpassed Mark Levin or Rush Limbaugh as some have is just complete fantasy.

When it comes to the Constitution of the United States, the history of the Founding, the personalities that brought it about, I will stick with the man who has studied this subject in law school, and as a personal passion for most of his life. That is Mark Levin. He is a brilliant guy who gets it. He is a better source than Beck. That does not mean Beck is worthless or anything, far from it. Levin is simply more of an authoritative source.

For telling the truth I get personal insults from some Beck groupies here. Par for the course I guess. The truth is still the truth.

Brian1972 on February 23, 2010 at 8:24 PM

What is it with Mark Levin anyway? Everytime I see the guy he’s ranting and raving like Barney Frank with a reformed speech impediment, unless of course he’s getting emotional about his dog Sprite. There’s a reason why people don’t listen to Levin – while he can be informative and interesting from time to time – he reminds me quite a bit of Olby…

It doesn’t surprise me that Levin wrote what he wrote – but thought Rush would have left it alone – but then again we all know they run around together…

charlie36r on February 23, 2010 at 8:53 PM

but to be honest – Rush didn’t really do that – he picked on the substance of Beck’s statements (which I don’t think he really gets where Glenn is at on that one – (Glenn has a few people like Demint & Bauchman on all the time – and thinks a lot of them and has made it clear there are good Republicans – but it’s the party establishment that is causing the issue) – but Levin – he just freakin’ hates Glenn…

charlie36r on February 23, 2010 at 8:58 PM

I’m proud to be a Republican.
We’re the party of better ideas, the right values like the Right to Life and the most foundational American values that our Founders would laud, also.
Jenfidel on February 23, 2010 at 3:09 AM

Tell me how our founding fathers would have lauded the greatest increase to entitlements in 40 years, that came, suggested by a Republican President and passed by his Progressive Republican Congress?

So just how where would that fit under the Tenth Amendment?

Y’all got that “We don’t suck as much as they do” thing happening and it will lead us down the same road where the progressives want to take us, just more slowly.

So be self-congratulating and I will go to my Republican Precinct Caucus to begin cleaning out the Progressives beginning at the root. I’m sure you will be out partying with the progressives.

joeinmo on February 24, 2010 at 3:50 AM

jimver on February 23, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Whoa, dude. Try some paragraphs. What you’ve written is just as bad as beck seems to be.

joeinmo on February 24, 2010 at 3:55 AM