Oh my: Scott Brown to vote with Dems on Obama’s jobs bill

posted at 6:09 pm on February 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

No crying. We knew this day would come.

“I came to Washington to be an independent voice, to put politics aside, and to do everything in my power to help create jobs for Massachusetts families,” Brown said in a statement issued by his office. “This Senate jobs bill is not perfect. I wish the tax cuts were deeper and broader, but I will vote for it because it contains measures that will help put people back to work.

“I was disappointed with the continuation of politics-as-usual in the drafting of this bill, as it was crafted behind closed doors, without transparency and accountability. I hope for improvements in that process going forward. All of us, Republicans and Democrats, have to work together to get our economy back on track. I hope my vote today is a strong step toward restoring bipartisanship in Washington.”

Well, look. Obviously he needs to signal the left-leaning indies back home who voted for him that he’ll break their way sometimes. Even armed with a huge war chest for 2012, he ain’t getting reelected as a party-line Republican. In which case, two reasons why this might not be a bad time to throw a vote to the Dems. One: The bill might not pass, even with Brown’s vote. Because of Frank Lautenberg’s illness, Reid only has 59 at the moment with the roll coming up later tonight. If Brown can prove his “bipartisanship” on a bill that’s going down in flames anyway, sweet. Two: Even if it does pass, Reid already had to pare the bill all the way down from $85 billion to just $15 billion to keep the heat from fiscal conservatives off of his caucus ahead of November. What’s left won’t do much to create jobs, but then, that’s not really the point; the point is to give Dems some sort of cosmetic measure to point to in the run-up to the midterms so that they can say, “See, we’re trying to create jobs!” Brown’s strategy, essentially, is to use that logic against them by throwing them a vote he can use to try to keep the seat red in two years.

Stand by for an update once the floor vote begins. All eyes, as usual, are on Ben Nelson. Exit question: On a scale of one to 10, what’s the heart-ache rating on this one?

Update: Cloture passed, with Snowe, Collins, and Voinovich also voting yes. No surprise, really. Like I say, this was a (relatively) cheap way for moderates to purchase bipartisan cred. Or rather, most moderates: Ben Nelson voted no.

Update: Evan Bayh pronounces Scotty B “the cure”:

Retiring Democratic Sen. Evan Bayh of Indiana said Monday that electing more lawmakers like new Republican Sen. Scott Brown may be the “ultimate cure” for partisan gridlock in Washington.

Brown’s upset victory over a Democrat who held a double-digit lead a week before Massachusetts’ special Senate election last month signaled that voters wanted “more practical problem solving,” Bayh said in an interview Monday on ABC-TV’s “The View.

“Scott Brown is a good example of what I think the ultimate cure might be,” Bayh said. “My read on what happened in Massachusetts is the vast majority of moderates and independents rose up and said enough already.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Scott just called into Howie Carr’s radio show (in Boston) to explain himself.

He accounted himself well, took a couple of hostile phone calls which he deftly handled.

All is well.

Simmer down.

turfmann on February 23, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I missed talking to Scott by 1 caller but I got a chance to make my points with Howie who was a good sport and gave me plenty of time. I give Scott credit at least for showing up today and taking the heat. Maybe there’s still hope for him yet.

TheBigOldDog on February 23, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Scott just called into Howie Carr’s radio show (in Boston) to explain himself.

All is well.

Simmer down.

turfmann on February 23, 2010 at 4:52 PM

That’s because they delayed me by 1 caller….

TheBigOldDog on February 23, 2010 at 4:57 PM

She is right. Most of the people of the northeast loathe traditional America, and long to be the Eurotrash of the West. And you are telling me that the same constituents that gave Ted Kennedy power for 40 years are suddenly deficit hawks? Are you really going to buy that line of logic?

Sorry, but it appears that his constituents knew more about the true Scott Brown than you did. This is what happens when you invest so much in a cheap political victory and look at politics like a competitive sporting event.

Doesn’t really matter anyway, he is just another worthless congressmen. Someday you people will understand that the scumbag politicians we see today are simply a symptom of a dysfunctional culture. It is not the politicians that need changing, it is the voters.

ClassicCon on February 23, 2010 at 4:22 PM

You really have no point do you? Other than cynicism, bitterness and resignation, that is.

We do not rely on politicians to make it all better for us, by “we” I mean conservatives and tea partiers who understood the importance of having that 41st vote, we rely on electing people who will limit and weaken government so when they do inevitably screw up, it won’t hurt as bad. I am not shocked at what Brown did, but I can certainly be disappointed because unlike you I am not giving up and will always, always, hold these bums’ feet to the fire.

The Brown election showed an opportunity for him to be a leader instead of a panderer. he could have shown Massachusetts voters a new light on fiscal conservatism. If there ever was an opportunity to usher in a new era, this was it. He publicly embraced the Tea Party while the entire liberal establishment, which has a stranglehold on Mass., opposed it and he still won. The people had opened their minds for this moment and he has a chance to lead them down a new path. Yet he stumbles in his very first step.

You can shower me with your pessimism all you want but I believe so strongly in my conservative principles, especially when it comes to economics that I know if they are just given a chance even by the most liberal of constituents, the benefits will be too strong for them to ignore.

Daemonocracy on February 23, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Daemonocracy on February 23, 2010 at 4:58 PM

And that’s a big reason Scott won and why this vote was idiotic on his part. He never backed down from his principles. He never tried to make himself acceptable to Liberals or the media. He never backed down until now…

TheBigOldDog on February 23, 2010 at 5:05 PM

That’s because they delayed me by 1 caller….

TheBigOldDog on February 23, 2010 at 4:57 PM

What did the “hostile” callers say to Scott? Was it all unfettered emotion or did make some tangible points?

what was his main reasoning for the vote for cloture? I am not buying the empty rhetoric on “bipartisanship” (on a bill Republicans aren’t allowed to amend) or “indpendence” either, or his use of the left wings “party of No” mantra. He could have said “No, lets do something better…” and proposed we spend 15 billion from the previous stimulus on these “jobs programs” the Demcorats are pushing.

Give me a crack at him too.

Daemonocracy on February 23, 2010 at 5:06 PM

That’s because they delayed me by 1 caller….

TheBigOldDog on February 23, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Give me a crack at him too.

Daemonocracy on February 23, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Well before the election I saw some of his comments and knew from them he was nothing but a RHINO. This is why I didn’t contribute to his campaign.

Cloture is the main way of preventing a Bill being passed. Almost every Bill that gets Cloture is passed and signed into law.

Don’t buy the crap about only doing it so it gets to the floor for a fair vote by the entire Senate.

Helloyawl on February 23, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Yep, he’s his own man. Took a big check from Romney to get elected only to vote on a really bad jobs? bill. Guess he didn’t ask what Romney thinks…or did he?

Nalea on February 23, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Oh God Scott Brown is happy Reid likes him when he votes his way. Boy I overestimated this guy. http://bit.ly/baBluk

TheBigOldDog on February 23, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Daemonocracy on February 23, 2010 at 5:06 PM

See above link which was his first attempt at explaining himself this morning. As soon as the Howie Carr audio is posted I’ll provide a link.

TheBigOldDog on February 23, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Scott Brown explains his vote on Howie Carr.

TheBigOldDog on February 23, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Thanks for the link.

I would hardly call those calls hostile, and the host was kissing his butt as well. Brown is slick with words, as is Obama but his main defense was, “people don’t understand or know what is in the bill, I’m an Independent kind of guy, Harry Reid was roud of me”. He sounded like a Freshman gloating about how the Vice Principal, who everyone else hates, took a liking to him. He needs to be grilled by true conservative hosts and Tea Party leaders on this one because right now he just sounds like a guy who is against tax hikes but sympathetic to spending hikes – which is the same flawed thinking that got us where we are now.

Daemonocracy on February 23, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Oh and one more thing, what was with his wise guy remark about people critical of his vote simply taking “marching orders from…*hesitation*…certain special interest groups…”? his hesitation spoke louder than his words, as if he was about to throw in “right wing” groups. Senator Brown, those wouldn’t be the same “special interest groups” who worked tirelessly on your behalf getting those same people to call houses for you, raise money for you and vote you, right?

I don’t know, he sounded too slick on that call and too easy a ride. And damn did he sound like he wanted to make out with Harry Reid.

Daemonocracy on February 23, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I heard Scott Brown on Howie Carr also. He gave a detailed rationale for his vote. He also said that he and his staff read the bill and determined that it was revenue neutral, that the original bill was pared down from 87 billion to 13 billion, and that the provisions of the bill would provide immediate stimulus.

Scott Brown took a beating from Laura Ingraham who wants to mold Scott in her own image. That ain’t gonna happen. If Laura want’s someone to vote the way she wants, SHE should run for the Senate.

Ripama on February 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Daemonocracy on February 23, 2010 at 7:30 PM

That did it for me. I am done with him. He’s a total fraud.

TheBigOldDog on February 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM

I do however give him a lot of credit for showing up on all the shows and explaining himself. I just don’t like his explanation.

TheBigOldDog on February 23, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Ripama on February 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM

We all applauded him when he stood in front of the Washington media and said the stimul bill hadn’t created a single job. So his first major act is to vote for another one. But trust him, this bill isn’t like the others, this one is okay because Harry Reid and John Kerry told him it was. Just ignore very other Republican who thought otherwise.

He also told us he hated bills created by backroom deals except this one. This one he like.

He told us he loves open debate, except in this case. In this case, it’s best to cut off debate and keep the bill pure.

All it takes to sway Scott is a call from Harry Reid and a few drinks with John Kerry.

TheBigOldDog on February 23, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Please, let’s not start acting like the left. The media has jumped onto the vote of newly elected Sen. Brown and are telling U.S. that he is just like Dem.

A vote is a vote, not a complete explanation or rationalization for voting. One needs to actually communicate with the person casting their vote to determine why they cast their vote the way they did.

One must remember, in politics and the legal profession much of their communications revolve around spin and leading questions meant to mislead. Their favorite is “Have you quite beating your wife (or significant other)’ because it has so many implications.

MSGTAS on February 24, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Can’t read all the comments, so if someone has said this already, I apologize. Our home computer is broken and we haven’t replaced it yet. Has anyone tried to log on to Brown’s web site, or call his office? Forget it! He doesn’t have his web site up yet and if you call the main senate # and they put you through to his tel, it is full and no one answers. That web site should be the first one he sets up. I’m disappointed.

Bambi on February 24, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Ripama on February 23, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Republicans should take all the talk radio miscreants to task. They need to put up or shut up. If the Democrats are doing so much to destroy the country why can’t they take a pay cut for a few years to “fix it”? It is a very easy to throw rocks from the radio than it is to step into the arena with he grown ups and run for office and win.

All Beck, Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin, Ingraham and the the others can do is yell from the radio. Step into the ring!

Decider on February 24, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Decider on February 24, 2010 at 11:29 AM

what the heck are tou talking about? You want Rush and Hannity to take a pay cut? That would mean less taxes going to the Federal government, moron. How would that improve things again?

Daemonocracy on February 24, 2010 at 8:27 PM