Schwarzenegger: The tea party’s going nowhere

posted at 6:28 pm on February 21, 2010 by Allahpundit

Political wisdom from a guy who knows better than most what it’s like to be going nowhere. I take it what he means here is that the tea party’s unlikely to become a third party, which is both true and beside the point. From what I’ve gathered, the goal of tea partiers has never been political independence for its own sake; the goal, purely and simply, is to shrink government. If the best/quickest way to do that is by bending the GOP to their will, either by coopting the party at the local level or flexing enough muscle at rallies to force Republican leaders to pay attention, I take it most TPers are okay with that. In which case, given the pandering all week at CPAC and the fact that even Senate moderates are in lockstep in opposing The One’s agenda, hasn’t the movement already gotten somewhere? Last year no one knew who Marco Rubio was and this year he’s on his way to crushing a relatively popular Republican governor in the Florida primary. Sounds like somewhere to me.

Listening to Schwarzenegger’s answer here, you’d think the only thing motivating tea partiers is free-floating economic anxiety of precisely the same sort that might be found in France, Venezuela, Australia, you name it. Smaller government? What’s that?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

AUINSC on February 21, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Change that to a Maria Shriver Republican and it would be correct.

chemman on February 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM

yeah – and Arnold is doing a hell of a job…

D2Boston on February 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Hey Arnold grab the Newt too on the way out the door you him and McCain would make a great three man shuffleboard team or is there a dog track around you washed up has beens could bother folks at?

dhunter on February 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Stuck on Stupid.

BacaDog on February 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM

the choices we had for Governor at that time were between the lessor of two evils.

Keemo on February 21, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Not really. There was McClintock, but Arnie sucked all the air out of the campaign. I never understood why anyone voted for Arnie in the recall election.

neurosculptor on February 21, 2010 at 7:35 PM

and there is an R behind his name why???????

oakpack on February 21, 2010 at 6:35 PM

(R)etarded ?

Jeff2161 on February 21, 2010 at 7:35 PM

dhunter on February 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Guest Bloggers on the McCain Boobette

MeatHeadinCA on February 21, 2010 at 7:35 PM

There is an assault on our food production happening in CA and Arnold is on the side of environazis.
He didn’t do anything to restore the Central Valley’s watersupply system , because Nazi Policei and her cabal panders to the delta-smelt.
Now in the name of green energy
this :

It’s a threat to her way of life. She said land in the valley around her farm will be scraped to install the panels, the forage will be destroyed, and top soil exposed.

“I don’t understand the necessity to take up prime agricultural land when we could be doing solar closer to point of use,” Williams said.

Sure he has an opinion on the tea partiers !

macncheez on February 21, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Good luck in AZ. Sounds like you’ll need it with McCain desperately calling in every favor he has coming his way…

MeatHeadinCA on February 21, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Can we have Obama campaign for McCain?
Please

macncheez on February 21, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Hayworth 2010 ! Yes, it’s my district.

Jeff2161 on February 21, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Remember saying this Arnold?

I finally arrived here in 1968. What a special day it was. I remember I arrived here with empty pockets but full of dreams, full of determination, full of desire. The presidential campaign was in full swing. I remember watching the Nixon-Humphrey presidential race on TV. A friend of mine who spoke German and English translated for me. I heard Humphrey saying things that sounded like socialism, which I had just left.

But then I heard Nixon speak. He was talking about free enterprise, getting the government off your back, lowering the taxes and strengthening the military. Listening to Nixon speak sounded more like a breath of fresh air. I said to my friend, I said, “What party is he?” My friend said, “He’s a Republican.” I said, “Then I am a Republican.” And I have been a Republican ever since.

daesleeper on February 21, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Go f#ck yourself Arnold.

litebrite on February 21, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Just because this girly man didn’t have the balls to stand by his earlier convictions of economic freedom and disciplined governance doesn’t mean that other, less beefy, Republicans can’t carry the load where he has so publicly failed.

abobo on February 21, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Good thing the State of California is a shining city on a hill a cardboard barrio in Tijuana with piss and crap running down the street…

What the he%l are you doing on a talk show, Governor?

Seven Percent Solution on February 21, 2010 at 7:51 PM

What the he%l are you doing on a talk show, Governor?

Seven Percent Solution on February 21, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Oh, my! How true!

MeatHeadinCA on February 21, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Keemo on February 21, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I understand there’s a lot of that going around nowadays; Like you say, the last presidential election.
And the only two political parties with power are performing like they’ve been neutered.
This country wasn’t founded and built by neutered individuals, and cannot survive with neutered personalities.
Why are people so damned afraid of taking a stand?
To err is human; But, to err and acquire knowledge and grow, is also human.
Our founding fathers were aware of this.
Complacency does not survive.

Cybergeezer on February 21, 2010 at 7:55 PM

macncheez on February 21, 2010 at 7:39 PM

That idiot Feinstein already said they can’t put them in the desert so lets ruin perfectly farmland instead.

BallisticBob on February 21, 2010 at 8:01 PM

So Arnold declares that “The tea parties are going nowheres, and all dees tings.”

Shut up, RINO.

Really Right on February 21, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I’m from California. I voted for this phony, lying, pathetic, weakling, steroid-addled, egocentric gasbag elitist waste of life. I got fooled. Never again.

rrpjr on February 21, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Arnold doesn’t have a clue.

Log on February 21, 2010 at 8:06 PM

AH-Nuld: The tea party’s going nowhere!

The Rest Of Us: And neither is your future in politics.

pilamaye on February 21, 2010 at 8:12 PM

As gov of a failed state, why is anyone asking Arnold what his opinion of anything is?

Stephanie on February 21, 2010 at 8:18 PM

daesleeper on February 21, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Governator’s right wing philosophy has been worn down in the last few decades. A shame.

His easy dismissal of the Tea Party phenom is very common. Nothing like it has ever lasted. Remember, our politics work to take from the many and give to the noisy or connected few. You know, like contractors, associations, special interest groups or even community organizers. Gov’t programs are bread and butter to those people. And a fine and easy gravy train it is!

The Tea partiers are mostly just folks who want to save money and the nation. Ssshhhheeesh! THAT makes no sense. How are they going to be sustained? The movement will weaken and die unless some industry or special interest gang pops up.

Many agree with him. Despite what they say, many of the pols who are watching this think they know the end of the story. Even if they don’t say it, they believe that you heroes are due for failure in the long term.

IlikedAUH2O on February 21, 2010 at 8:19 PM

P. S. His administration was decent with me.

I know that Arnold has a good heart; most champions do. That is what made him a Republican.

His brain has been corrupted and he is tired. Pray for him.

IlikedAUH2O on February 21, 2010 at 8:24 PM

What the he%l are you doing on a talk show, Governor?

Barrio vs Shining City. And you wonder why people throw accusations of racism around. I’m sure there was plenty of piss and crap running down the streets of Jefferson’s republic.

Grow Fins on February 21, 2010 at 8:26 PM

That he is correct in his prediction is beside the point. The Tea Partiers’ assessment of Arnold is spot-on.

Jaibones on February 21, 2010 at 8:27 PM

And to think, some Republicans were talking about repealing the 22nd Amendment to allow this stooge to run for President. Go away Arnold, and soon.

Paul Revere_1 on February 21, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Arnie wants Republicans to be liberal, the Tea Party wants Republicans to actually adhere to our Constitution.

Gee no conflict there.

After years of progressive appeasement Arnold doesn’t have a leg to stand on.

Speakup on February 21, 2010 at 8:29 PM

That’s what the politicos and media just don’t get. This isn’t a new national political party. I know Tea Partiers who are running for Repub precinct committeeman, Repub State Central Committee, local offices, county commissioners, state reps, etc. That’s the change from the ground up.

Deanna on February 21, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Grow Fins on February 21, 2010 at 8:26 PM

So… to somehow point out the differences between a Barrio and a Shining City somehow is racist or something? No, people throw words like “racist” around because they are lazy and don’t want to have an honest argument. Are you lazy, Grow?

MeatHeadinCA on February 21, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Item on InstaPundit this afternoon, that a Tea Party in San Diego just drew 1,000 protestors. Good thing Arnold isn’t runnning again in California cause that’s a heap of voters.

I feel sorry for Arnold. He *tried* to take on the prison unions and get a budget in place, but California’s gimme voters wouldn’t back him and blew him out of the water. That’s when he just gave up, and let the unions have their way with him.

I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt. He always struck me as a very clever little devil, he’s on his to DC (again) to kiss Obama’s ass (again) to try to get federal funding to bail CA out (again), so of *course* he’s not going to say anything nice about what is arguably Obama’s biggest current enemy. He’ll probably tell Obama what a bunch of losers Tea Party participants are, too, and encourage Obama to ignore us as being beneath his wonderfulness to notice, while we tunnel mole-like beneath Obama’s marxist world until his whole universe collapses.

NahnCee on February 21, 2010 at 8:33 PM

One of the worst laws enacted since Prohibition has been the Endangered Species Act. Somebody tell me how it helps the citizenry? How are our lives made better by saving the Snail Darter or this meaningless minnow out West? I’m waiting.

Pelayo on February 21, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Grow Fins on February 21, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Jefferson’s republic ?
How long ago was that ?
Before you answer
go checkout Tijuana of the 21st century

macncheez on February 21, 2010 at 8:34 PM

MeatHeadinCA on February 21, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Go Breitbart on it!

daesleeper on February 21, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Damn, I forgot to add the Community Reinvestment Act. The law that caused the financial meltown.

Pelayo on February 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM

A guy with a 19% Job Approval rating really knows what he’s talking about.

/sarc

Left Coast Right Mind on February 21, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Left Coast Right Mind on February 21, 2010 at 8:36 PM

But why drag Rachel Maddow into this?

daesleeper on February 21, 2010 at 8:37 PM

According to a recent Pew Research poll, moderates only make up 25% of the Republican Party; conservatives make up 64%.

Yet all the Republican leadership seems to be drawn from that 25% moderate wing of the party.

They are suspicious of conservatives and are convinced running conservative candidates is a losing strategy.

They need to replaced.

manofaiki on February 21, 2010 at 8:37 PM

MeatHeadinCA

I see I been preachin’ to the choir.
I’m educated enough to validate myself.
Grins.

Cybergeezer on February 21, 2010 at 8:41 PM

daesleeper on February 21, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Heh…are you sure Mr. Maddow’s ratings are as high as 19%?

Left Coast Right Mind on February 21, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Grow Fins on February 21, 2010 at 8:26 PM

We can’t help that industrialized western capitalism is closer to a shining city that the emerging nations or the haunts of true socialism.

It racist to notice that and the lack of excrement and abject poverty in lefty fantasy societies unless they are a few hours long and constructed with capitalist bucks like Avatar.

IlikedAUH2O on February 21, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Wait… where did Grow go? I really hope not over to Huffington Post to get the new “Racist!” themed come backs. Someone should tell him they’ve been recycled like Sheryl Crow’s toilet paper – over and over.

MeatHeadinCA on February 21, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Remember when Arnold made fun movies and wasn’t a big government shill?

chicagojedi on February 21, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Has Arnold forgotten the source of the power he harnessed to beat Gray Davis? Seems so.

unclesmrgol on February 21, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Schwarzenegger: The tea party’s going nowhere

Nor is your political career, Ahnold! Fool! Just keep saying what you must, to schmooze, and kiss the ones behind. We all know you need OUR money to keep your state afloat.

Remember…if you go back to a movie career, that might be the way of your political career as well. I know I won’t give up money to view any movie you make anymore.

capejasmine on February 21, 2010 at 8:54 PM

MeatHeadinCA on February 21, 2010 at 8:51 PM

People who hate p!$$ and cr@p on the streets
are racist
against brown and yella

So say those who sniff their fingers in Soros’ basement

macncheez on February 21, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Grow Fins on February 21, 2010 at 8:26 PM

The trolls around here are pathetic!

Waste in our Founder’s Streets?:

Now a cheap shot at The One’s (former) country:

BTW, some of the outdoor relief is a good thing. I think that it helps plants like dogs going in the woods. Have you ever taken a bus ride in Africa, mate?

IlikedAUH2O on February 21, 2010 at 8:58 PM

People who hate p!$$ and cr@p on the streets
are racist
against brown and yella

So say those who sniff their fingers in Soros’ basement

macncheez on February 21, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Hehehe +10 (even if I get labeled a racist again).

MeatHeadinCA on February 21, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Has Arnie left yet?

GarandFan on February 21, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I think this guy has been around dumb bells for far too long.

Mirimichi on February 21, 2010 at 9:01 PM

At the Sacramento Tea Party last April 15 we heard that the legislators were annoyed at all the noise we were making there on the west steps of the Capitol building…Arnold must not have been at work that day, or he’d know that the Tea Partiers are not going away, no matter how much he and the rest of the yahoos in the Capitol wish we would.

Bob's Kid on February 21, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Schwarzenegger actually proposed a $14+ billion bill to force everyone in California to be covered by health insurance after the state had already run out of money. In my German household, we affectionately refer to him as Governor Arschloch.

Terrie on February 21, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Arnold Schwarzenegger crawls out of the smoking crater that used to be the California economy to favor us with his opinions about the future of conservatism. Thanks a lot Arnie, we all have much to learn from a man with your record of, uh, success.

Cicero43 on February 21, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Schwarzenegger: The tea party’s going nowhere

Not so, but interesting to hear it voiced by the Real Nowhere Man.

ya2daup on February 21, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Stephanie on February 21, 2010 at 8:18 PM

We’re gonna need more Tea…

TN Mom on February 21, 2010 at 9:20 PM

This tool is the reason I left California in 2005 – moved to South Carolina. Hated to do it more than I can tell you – but in hindsight – it was the move of my life.

Arnold – what a tool.

jake-the-goose on February 21, 2010 at 9:35 PM

It’s hard to look like the biggest dork in the room when Terry Moran is sitting right next to you, but congrats, Ahnold, you pulled it off!

OneVision on February 21, 2010 at 9:36 PM

What the he%l are you doing on a talk show, Governor?

Seven Percent Solution on February 21, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Gang-of-One on February 21, 2010 at 9:45 PM

SchwarzeneggerMr.Schriver: The tea party’s going nowhere

Fixed it for you

bill30097 on February 21, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Arnold was an opportunist, and took advantage of the movement to remove Gray Davis. He has proven Davis to be a genius in comparison. I WANT MY RECALL VOTE BACK.

leftnomore on February 21, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Sad to say, but oh so true. I see the hills of TJ across the border every morning when I walk the beach for exercise. The piss and crap literally run from the TJ River into the US whenever the rainstorms hit. It gets worse as the population of TJ increases. 3rd world for sure. If I was a younger man I’d pack it in and hit the highway..

Yeah, Arnie’s and idiot.

Gang-of-One on February 21, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Sorry, having technical difficulties…

Gang-of-One on February 21, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I’m running out of room on my list of reasons to despise the Stupid Party.

james23 on February 21, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Simple mistake. When he said, “going nowhere,” he was thinking of his own political career.

And who could argue with that?

tom on February 21, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I’m King Geoge III thought and was so advised the same thing but you know the rest.

larvcom on February 21, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Said the guy with the 18% approval rating…

Kataklysmic on February 21, 2010 at 11:56 PM

Arnold’s just doing a little shoe shine dance for the Hollywood crowd.

After November he’s out of a job, and since he’s too old to be Mr. Olympia, he’s gotta go see Bab’s up in Malibu and kiss her ring.

I’m a proud voter for Tom McLintock! Best vote I ever made – next to Reagan.

Joe Pyne on February 22, 2010 at 2:33 AM

Arnold is a disgrace. He fought all of the recent propositions to role back the recent tax increases and tried endless budget gimmicks. He will be used by Progressives and Libs for the next 30 years as a Republican bad example of governance.

The sorry state of affairs in California was recently summed up by a Headline in the Feb 20 Antelope Valley Press :
“State (is the ) ‘Enemy of Businesspeople’ “.

What an incredible, disgusting, example of government. The entire Sacramento population of elected and public employees need to be wholesale replaced. Karen Bass has figured her way out, she’s running for a Congressional seat. Must.Be.Stopped.

Jimmy Doolittle on February 22, 2010 at 2:48 AM

Arnold’s prediction shows all the prophetic prowess of Bill Gates original assessment of the Internet…

doriangrey on February 22, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Arnold Specter sphincter.

the_nile on February 21, 2010 at 6:36 PM

fify!!

Sweet_Thang on February 22, 2010 at 7:35 AM

I try to avoid watching those shows but made an exception yesterday…I wish I hadn’t. Arnold is nothing but a big gov’t, BO tool. He didn’t have anything negtative to say about the libtards but he had plenty to say about the repub’s, and all of it was negative. I almost spit out my coffee when he said he was a repub.

He claimed the porkulus bill created 150,000 jobs in CA. What an idiot. He failed to mention that spending bill using borrowed funds would probably wipe out 300,000 future jobs as the next generation spends the next 30 years paying interest on those funds. He drooled over building roads, railroads and POS money losing green technologies. He almost sprung wood over the prospect of raising taxes to close budget shortfalls. One more thing, I never heard him say anything about formulating policies to give companies an incentive to grow and invest capital.

Arnold is no longer a RINO, he’s a full-on libtard.

David in ATL on February 22, 2010 at 7:46 AM

What do you expect from a Kennedy Republican?

sdd on February 22, 2010 at 9:20 AM

No worries Arnie, the tea party going anywhere does not depend on you………YOUR policies however are going to take you places, like OUT OF OFFICE, and you won\’t be back.

RealMc on February 22, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I am just plain curious on why the people of California are not calling for a recall on AH-Nuld the same way they called for one on Gray Davis.

Grant it, Davis was a doofus and a lousy Governor, but he never ended up turning California into the financial boondoogle nightmare mess that it presently is.

Star-Celebrity Status aside, with the way he has handled this whole thing, AH-Nuld makes Davis look like a perpetual genius!

pilamaye on February 22, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Arnold needs to be terminated from politics.

SmallGovtGuy on February 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM

\”..I like you..I kill you last\”

VoyskaPVO on February 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Zee vuns who flex zee muscles go somevair. Don’t be a girleyman, Mr. Collie-fornia!

Steve Z on February 22, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Hey Ahhhhnold…

Fawk yu.

tickleddragon on February 22, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I’ll bet he would have booed Ryan Sorba.

cjk on February 22, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I live in CA-he should be more than able to recognize angery people. And he is the last person that shoould be giving advise on anything to anyone. His answer in CA is to try to ‘balance’ the budget on the backs of the seniors and the disabled-not by eliminated the stupid spending in the budget–like saving the smelt fish.

tambev on February 22, 2010 at 11:37 AM

“The key thing for the Obama administration is to stay on track,”??!!??!!??!!

How did we elect this guy?

“Oh, yeah. People are complaining. People always complain. No big thing. Tea baggers – no big deal. Nah, republicans don’t have any ideas. Hell, I don’t have any ideas. We have to be the party of no. That’s our job.” What the heck is he talking about?

Pablo Snooze on February 22, 2010 at 11:54 AM