Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the week?

posted at 9:00 am on February 21, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Hold the phones — it’s time to pick Barack Obama’s most amateurish stumble of the week.  Of course, the logistics of such a choice have to be considered, but these days we consider them after the choice.  One might think that as much as Obama talks about himself, having 132 nominees would be understandable, but in Obama math … that comes to four.

Previous 2010 “winners”:

Comments

Good ones.

And Ron Paul wins the CPAC straw poll?

w.t.f?

Maybe CPAC is full of crazy nitwits after all.

Midas on February 21, 2010 at 9:04 AM

have to go with the jobs saved metric.

rob verdi on February 21, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Enough about me, what do you think about me.

PatMac on February 21, 2010 at 9:06 AM

My vote goes towards shuffling the Dalai Lama out the back door with the garbage…..

ultracon on February 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Good choices. I had to go with the 132 about me option. This is the face-reality of the Obama administration; narcissism at a level we have not seen in my life time.

Keemo on February 21, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I chose the last – we know by his use of the teleprompter that he can read so is comprehension the problem?

Obama claims 2 million jobs saved or created, website shows 590K

Dr Evil on February 21, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Where’s the jobs?

yoda on February 21, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I had to go with his consistent theme of how wonderful he is. It makes me wonder if he heard one word of criticism in his youth. I have seen conceited before but the president needs his own category.

Cindy Munford on February 21, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Good ones.

And Ron Paul wins the CPAC straw poll?

w.t.f?

Maybe CPAC is full of crazy nitwits after all.

Midas on February 21, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Or, would Sarah Palin have garnered only 7% if she had delivered her Nashville speech at CPAC? And would it have rated live coverage on all of the cable networks?

As much as I like and respect Beck, the world didn’t come to a screeching halt when he gave his keynote.

turfmann on February 21, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Tough choices this week. I went with the narcissism.

backwoods conservative on February 21, 2010 at 9:21 AM

The 132 references to himself in one speech and his continued lying about the number of jobs created or saved are equally deserving of being the winner. Narcissism reigns in the White House from our Chief Whiner.

RightlySo on February 21, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Went with the ‘I’ ‘I’ ‘I’…

All the rest are good candidates, but nearly everyone of them can be looped back, to some degree, to his narcissism. That is the prism through which he views us, the country and the world.

Yoop on February 21, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Midas,

That was/is very bothersome… Much good came from this years CPAC; I must choose to focus on the good rather than that one episode of mind boggling. I must say though, it’s hard to shove that episode down the lost memory hole.

Keemo on February 21, 2010 at 9:22 AM

America should be proud of our bright, clean, well spoken, well publicized, well dressed, over paid, inglorious, Ignoramus in Chief!

Cybergeezer on February 21, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Maybe CPAC is full of crazy nitwits after all.

Midas on February 21, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Nah. It’s just CPAC’s way of jerking the chain of the MSM. They let it happen. Chew bone…

CPAC: “Oh, look, a puppy Paul!

Yoop on February 21, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I agree about the Dalai Lama trash hustle. No-class gesture to appease the ChiComs.

However, I voted for the self-reference overload. Nobama always wants America to celebrate the wonderfulness of his Oneness as opposed to fretting over their lost jobs and financial crises. Peasants.

Philly on February 21, 2010 at 9:28 AM

ultracon on February 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM

davidk on February 21, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Where’s the jobs, Roosevelt II?

kingsjester on February 21, 2010 at 9:28 AM

132 times? Really?
Too many to choose from. Again.

HAnthonyWayne on February 21, 2010 at 9:29 AM

Refering to himself a 132 times in a speech hardly qualifies as an Obamateurism of the week when it’s just standard operating procedure.

Jim708 on February 21, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Jim708 on February 21, 2010 at 9:31 AM

lol

nyx on February 21, 2010 at 9:34 AM

this gets harder every week, I went with the blanket hold, surely he must know there is tape of him using the tactic himself. What a Maroon, to quote Bugs Bunny, who would make a better POTUS than THE WON now that I think about it.

Mini-14 on February 21, 2010 at 9:36 AM

How many out of the two million were in phantom districts?

This saved or created meme is a dead horse he just can’t help beating even though only SIX PERCENT of Americans think the stimulu…porkulus saved any jobs much less created any.

jukin on February 21, 2010 at 9:36 AM

statist “rounding error”…..magnitude of 3+

math

ted c on February 21, 2010 at 9:37 AM

davidk on February 21, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Well, that was skillful.

davidk on February 21, 2010 at 9:41 AM

1. Amateur
2. Hypocrite
3. Narcissist
4. Idiot

The logistics of that choice are clear.

Kafir on February 21, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Somewhat OT: Obama is now at his lowest approval rate ever recorded and lost 10 points in just the last few days.

Rasmussen

Key West Reader on February 21, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Tough choices this week. I went with the narcissism.

backwoods conservative on February 21, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Me too, with the lies about jobs saved or created a very close second.

Colorado Anne on February 21, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Key West Reader on February 21, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Overall, 45% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the President’s performance. Fifty-four percent (54%) disapprove.

Who are these people?

nyx on February 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM

“Obama blasts blanket holds over policy despite making blanket holds in 2005″

I am going to guess this is not getting votes for the same reason it didn’t get my vote, I have no idea what you are talking about.

For the future can you link to each one because there have been many times now you have referred to something I have no idea what you are talking about.

JeffinSac on February 21, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Never before has there been a saved or created column in calculating our economic status. So I would go with the jobs vote after all O Blah Blah is trying to save his a$$ and create a smoke screen.

sonnyspats1 on February 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM

JeffinSac on February 21, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Got Google?

Key West Reader on February 21, 2010 at 10:03 AM

JeffinSac on February 21, 2010 at 9:59 AM

He does. In the narative above the choices.

Colorado Anne on February 21, 2010 at 10:03 AM

How about a FLOTUS amateurism of the week. During her interview with Huckabee, did anyone counts the “you know”‘s and the “umm”‘s in her remarks? It was painful and embarrassing to watch.

petefrt on February 21, 2010 at 10:04 AM

narative = narrative, sorry I think I’m getting old and senile

Colorado Anne on February 21, 2010 at 10:05 AM

2ipa on February 21, 2010 at 10:06 AM

These choices are difficult because they simply reflect ObaMao’s fundamental dishonesty and narcissism. What the Lefty pundits call O’s pragmatism is simply his tendency to pull statistics out of his butt and assert contradictions when polls tell him that his snow jobs aren’t working.

ObaMao is a liar who has never had to be accountable for his assertions or his actions.

onlineanalyst on February 21, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Claiming 2 million when a simple fact check to his own website (oh, the logistics of it!) would show this to be false.

texabama on February 21, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Who are these people?

nyx on February 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM

From the U.S. Census quick facts: 2009-2010 figures are higher for these categories.
Black persons, percent, 2008 (a) 12.8%
American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2008 (a) 1.0%
Asian persons, percent, 2008 (a) 4.5%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2008 (a) 0.2%
Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2008 1.7%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2008 (b) 15.4%
This leaves approximately 9.5% white ridden with guilt, anger, or descendants of slave traders/owners.
Obviously, individuals like Gibbs, Axelrod, Emanuel, Pelosi, Reid, etc.
Factor of error, 4%.

Cybergeezer on February 21, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I went with the first.

The others were just politics – as she is spoke.

Justice, however, should never be handled by an amateur.

OldEnglish on February 21, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I, Aye, Eye Eye ….. hasta la vista
(I KNOW these are the wrong lyrics.. it’s a parody!)

ExpressoBold on February 21, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Who are these people?

nyx on February 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM

I was driving the other day behind a car with a Obama bumper sticker, who I watched throw his cigarette butt out the window. When I passed him, I wanted to get a look at what an azzhole looked like. Well, it was hard to tell, because he had a cell phone up to his face.

That’s who these jerk offs are …..

Jerome Horwitz on February 21, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Oh, geez! How could I forget A.C.O.R.N?

Cybergeezer on February 21, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I’m still waiting for the post about O greeting the Dalai Lama with a pile of trash.

year_of_the_dingo on February 21, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Jerome Horwitz on February 21, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Funny how they drive like every body around them will notice them and allow them to be oblivious of their surroundings.

Cybergeezer on February 21, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Totally O/T: read this.

2ipa on February 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Sorry, Ed, but sending the Dalai Lama out the back door past the piles of trash would be my choice, too. The rest of them are pretty much SOP at this point.

califcon on February 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Had to go with the jobs lies. Even the 590,000 jobs is BS. All we care about is net jobs, currently at -4,000,000 for 2009. And it’s really worse than that. 2ipa on February 21, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Totally agree. It’s like “saving” money at the store. Um, no honey, you actually spent money. Obama is the star of his own personal dream and we are simply unwilling goers along in his hell bent race toward socialism.

Mojave Mark on February 21, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Me, I, me, I, I, I, me, my, I, I, I, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, I, me, I, me, me, me, I, me, I, me, me, me, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, me, I, me, I, I, I, me, my, I, I, I… voted for The Great I AM That I AM…

RalphyBoy on February 21, 2010 at 10:41 AM

The 132 times lets us know how he got to so many jobs saved or created. Talking about: me, myself, and I. Add in the person speaking and that is 4 times the number… multiply by amount on the website and you get the narcissist view of just how many jobs are saved…

Or a lot of folks with multiple personality disorders… hard to keep track of them…

ajacksonian on February 21, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Really, I voted the jobs quote, but the I AM stuff is sooooo over the top I needed to goof on that one. As a Knight of the Realm he wouldst be known as Obaby the Self Centered.

RalphyBoy on February 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Tough choices this week. I went with the narcissism.

backwoods conservative on February 21, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Backwoods:
Do you just ‘cut & paste’ that comment each week?

Tom_OC on February 21, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Totally O/T: read this.

2ipa on February 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM

It’s completely disgusting how these current politicians in our legislature, take their positions for granted, and abuse their status as “elected” individuals.
Creeds and oaths mean nothing to them any more.
A muslim philosophy (prophets of doom) of living only to appease ones self through allah, (whomever that may be) is becoming prevalent in modern society.
With leaders like the present, survival of the fittest shall become the rule.

Cybergeezer on February 21, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Since the military drilled into me the 7 P’s; Proper Prior Preparation Prevents P*ss Poor Performance, I had to go with the KSM quote. No planning just try the sucka in NYC.

chemman on February 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM

The accompanying photo is undeniably Raaacist!!!

A white suit??? Makes him look like the pimp he is!

honsy on February 21, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I went with this week’s lies about job numbers.
Not just because he is so clearly lying, but because it’s obvious he can’t keep his lies straight.
I hate what this clown is doing to our country and my children’s future.

Tom_OC on February 21, 2010 at 11:01 AM

You have to love Obama’s mystical spiritualization of jobs numbers. “I’m reminded of another famous Black leader – Calypso Louie Farrakhan who also felt compelled to play around with numbers:

“Abraham Lincoln, the sixteenth president. Thomas Jefferson, the third president, and 16 and three make 19 again. What is so deep about this number 19? Why are we standing on the Capitol steps today? That number 19 — when you have a nine you have a womb that is pregnant. And when you have a one standing by the nine, it means that there’s something secret that has to be unfolded.”

Now we know the secret -it’s secret jobs!

Don L on February 21, 2010 at 11:03 AM

What is the latest reality check on the jobs website? Once the bogus “saved” jobs are removed, and the jobs created in non-existent congressional districts are gone, what the real count? Maybe half of the quoted 590K? A third?

Clear winner, IMHO.

iurockhead on February 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Don L on February 21, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Schizo’s have a lot of secrets.

Cybergeezer on February 21, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Backwoods:
Do you just ‘cut & paste’ that comment each week?

Tom_OC on February 21, 2010 at 10:50 AM

No, but thanks for the idea! ;)

backwoods conservative on February 21, 2010 at 11:07 AM

It now may be necessary to divide Obamateurisms into two categories. Obama’s international blunders of the week and Obama’s domestic blunders of the week.

Internationally the Dalai Lama incident showed how dense Zero is. The cufflinks, the garbage trail tour. Michelle-O probably gave Dalai an “I (heart) China” t-shirt and Rogaine gift certificates.

Domestically is a tougher choice. Zero’s KSM blunder invites terrorists to wage their battles in NYC again. Visualize the post-Rodney King riots but with IEDs. Of course, th job figures reveal Zero’s indifference, in Clintonian proportions, not only to truth but to those his policies have and will harm. Like Zero’s buddy Billy Ayers, Nutpolitano and several others in his cabinet, that reveals his tendency towards being a Clintonian sociopath. Both Zero and Slick were all about screwing American. Just by different means.

viking01 on February 21, 2010 at 11:17 AM

They were much closer than most questions here.
2 million lie is worse because of the three numbers given on one Sunday. It really proves how this Administration is a miserable failure at having a consistent message that is even close to honest. Americans hate liars. This Administration is a house of liars.

Steveangell on February 21, 2010 at 11:19 AM

backwoods conservative on February 21, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Hopefully you didn’t need it, but just in case: /s
I coulda put a sarc tag with that initial comment. I was taking a swipe at Barry’s frequent narcissism, not the quality of your commenting. When I went back and re-read it that didn’t come across clearly.

Tom_OC on February 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Hopefully you didn’t need it, but just in case: /s

Tom_OC on February 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Everything’s cool. I don’t take myself seriously enough to be easily offended.

I once heard a weather forecaster say of his time in Arizona that he could mail in his forecast 3 months in advance. I can almost do the same with the narcissist-in-chief.

backwoods conservative on February 21, 2010 at 11:30 AM

First black U.S. president has minority rights activist Dalai Lama use back door. That would look really weird if the blacks had ever been forced to do the same thing in this country.

Oh, wait…

Christien on February 21, 2010 at 11:38 AM

He refered to himself 132 times in one speech? Astonishing!

daesleeper on February 21, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I went with the jobs choice. Dear Liar can’t even keep the lies straight.

Boy, does He lie.

rbj on February 21, 2010 at 11:42 AM

ultracon on February 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Yup. That was just disgusting. Shame on Obama for that.

I voted for the jobs saved or created, compared to what the website says. A lie is a lie, and if you’re going to lie Obama, you may as well get your numbers in order before you do. Either way, we all know you lie about everything. You wouldn’t know the truth if it hit you in your boney behind.

capejasmine on February 21, 2010 at 11:45 AM

ultracon on February 21, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Good catch. Definitely would have been a strong contender.

Dopenstrange on February 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Doesn’t Obama always refer to himself at least 132 times in each speech?

I went with the jobs. Numbers are hard.

“Backdoor Dalai” would have been a good choice, too.

Fallon on February 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM

“Wanna talk about me, wanna talk about I, wanna talk about Number ONE, oh my…” (with apologies to Toby Keith).
Of course, taking the Dalai Lama out with the trash cries out for analysis and discussion on multiple levels…

indypat on February 21, 2010 at 12:08 PM

califcon on February 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Yea, pretty much. Sad, isn’t it?

scalleywag on February 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

hahaha. No wait, seriously, he gave him cufflinks?

scalleywag on February 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Obama claims 2 million jobs saved or created, website shows 590K …

… and yet both numbers are absurd lies, fully contradicted by the Labor Department’s own data.

Jaibones on February 21, 2010 at 12:29 PM

The fat lady sings (anyone thinking I mean Michelle Obama, because of her slightly steatopygous butt is being presumptuous):

Me- me-me-me-me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

X 132!

profitsbeard on February 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Cindy Munford on February 21, 2010 at 9:21 AM

It’s the Dunning-Krueger effect.

elclynn on February 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Here’s what the Russians think of Barry and his magic beans.

This from Pravda:

I wanted to see the Russian reaction to the men’s figure skating results, so I went to Pravda via Drudge.

Interesting…..

Sweet_Thang on February 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM

califcon on February 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM

If you think about it in broader terms, isn’t this what he is doing to all of us.?

He is ushering the taxpayer out the backdoor, past the garbage and trash, while the invited guests are coming in the front door to dine on Wagyu beef and arugula, paid for with the money we here required to leave behind.

Yoop on February 21, 2010 at 1:03 PM

A leader reveals himself as an amateur when he makes himself the center of the universe.

Amateur comment of the week = “It’s all about me.”

So much for leadership.

Pazman on February 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Now we know the secret -it’s secret jobs!

Don L on February 21, 2010 at 11:03 AM

LMAO!!

bernzright777 on February 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Obama makes Nixon look like Lincoln!

bernzright777 on February 21, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Me, me, me…

OmahaConservative on February 21, 2010 at 1:17 PM

hahaha. No wait, seriously, he gave him cufflinks?

scalleywag on February 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM

The cufflinks is probably an urban legend started by various other blogs to capitalize on the oddity of Zero actually having given the Queen an iPod and PM Brown the wrong-region DVD collection to a man with failing vision.

So, though it wouldn’t surprise if Zero had given cufflinks to a man who wears sleeveless robes it is mostly internet rumor.

What I’m waiting for is for Zero and Michelle-O to give the Prime Minister of India a fine assortment of prime, juicy, well-aged steaks or to take the President of Iraq out for some fine pulled-pork barbecue. If he’s in Armenia Obama could order the Greek Salad or if he’s at a Vienna restaurant he can ask for a menu that isn’t in Austrian.

viking01 on February 21, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Obama has lied so much that he has become the butt of jokes and is held up to ridicule every time he opens his mouth. Even if he tells the truth his credibility is shot with the American people. I now count the lies and half truths he says with a straight face. It’s like watching Eddie Murpy playing a street hustler in a movie! Such a fool is dangerous as leader of the free world. Our enemies must have the same contempt as the American public. Let the avalanche come to reign him in! Taking back Congress and the purse strings can offset his lying agenda.

Marco on February 21, 2010 at 1:32 PM

What I wonder is how does one get oneself mentioned 132 times in a speech written by someone else? Do you leave instructions to mention yourself in every other sentence or do the speech writers know what’s important to the guy paying their salary and just naturally mention you as much as possible?

Fred 2 on February 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Obama makes Nixon look like Lincoln!

Obama makes Carter look like Lincoln!

Fred 2 on February 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Fred 2 on February 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Elementary, my dear Watson. You hire speech writers from the top 10% of the graduating class of ‘I’ ‘I’ N ( International Institute of Narcissism ). They know what to do.

Yoop on February 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I watched the History Channel last night, that featuredthe JFK assassination and the transfer of power to Lyndon Johnson in the aftermath.

LBJ was a scheming, lying SOB, that Bobby Kennedy HATED. Looking back on LBJ, his claim to fame was the so-called “Great Society” where he dramatically moved us closer to being a socialist society with Medicare, etc.

I once read that he kept the war in Vietnam going to detract attention away from his “Great Society” legislation. If true, I only hope the man is burning in hell for what he did. Literally wasting young American lives to promote his socialist agenda.

Absolutely despicable!!

Sometimes I think the comparisons of zerObama to Jimmy Carter are off the mark. Carter was horrible, but he wasn’t the one who saddled us with Medicare. Chairman Bao is hell bent to ram socialized healthcare down our throats, which is the anchor that will literally sink this country into perpetual mediocrity or worse.

FDR, LBJ, and now BHO, the three amigos.

Sweet_Thang on February 21, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Maobama gave the Dalai Lama a pair of presidential seal cufflinks no less (natch)! I thought for sure that Nobama would give DL an iPod containing wondrous campaign speeches. The White House gift buyers are slipping.

Philly on February 21, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Had to go KSM trial.WE already know he is a lying narcissist who can’t add,so I opted for his lack of logic.

DDT on February 21, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Meh, this round of Obamateurisms looks more like greasy politics than stupidity. It’s hard to top scheduling a hugely controversial “Speech to the Students” on a day when most of those students aren’t even in class.

On the other hand, his excuse for moving the KSM trial boils down to the classic politician excuse of “Well I’m an idiot, so you can’t blame me for screwing things up.” Not the most inspiring statement, but its just so… common…

I guess I’ve just grown to expect better gaffs out of him than this, you know?

Voyager

Voyager on February 21, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I picked the jobs saved or created because jobs created or saved has reached its expiration date and pretty soon we will hear Obama talking about millions of jobs funded:

“*Part 2 of this Memorandum updates Section 5:
“*….In addition, recipients will no longer be required to make a subjective judgment on whether jobs were created or retained as a result of the Recovery Act. Instead, recipients will more easily and objectively report on jobs funded with Recovery Act dollars.

You can’t argue or dispute jobs funded :(

philly_PA on February 21, 2010 at 4:33 PM

From the recovery.gov website:

The job numbers reported by recipients are for October 1, 2009 to December 31, 2009 only.

As I said when it was the Obamateurism of the day, the 595,263 number is what they’re claiming for that quarter only. The OOTW can’t be that the “2 million jobs saved or created(over a year)” claim doesn’t match the claim on the website for “595,263 jobs saved or created(over three months).”

PantsDailyon on February 21, 2010 at 6:20 PM