CPAC Interview: Cyrus Nowrasteh

posted at 9:30 am on February 20, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

The director of The Stoning of Soraya M paid a visit to Bloggers Row yesterday to talk about the upcoming Blu-Ray/DVD release of his courageous and stunning portrayal of the true story of a woman stoned to death for supposed adultery in Iran. Soraya‘s cast is first rate, and we discuss the excellent portrayals by Shoreh Aghdashloo, Mozhan Marno, Navid Negahban (a Hot Air reader!), and David Diaan. We also talk about the importance of putting more attention on stoning, a barbaric practice still employed in many parts of the world — and how the uncompromising portrayal of one in Soraya forces audiences to awareness.

It’s a brilliant film, and while it’s not light viewing, it’s really a must-have for your video collection. The Blu-Ray/DVD release date is March 9th, but Amazon is taking advance orders already.

Disclosure: Any sales made through links results in compensation to me at no additional cost to the purchaser.

Update: I forgot to mention Jim Caveziel’s outstanding performance! It was a smaller role, but a critical one.

Comments

Townhall has excellent streaming available for CPAC. A panel with Jonah Goldberg and Amity Shlayes and Herb London coming up.

Cindy Munford on February 20, 2010 at 9:42 AM

I wish I could have made the screening last night.

blatantblue on February 20, 2010 at 9:43 AM

But Charles Johnson stated that everyone at CPAC was white?

carbon_footprint on February 20, 2010 at 9:49 AM

“The Stoning of Soraya M” is a picture of where Western European civilization was 700 years ago. Substitute the stake and the torch for the stones and you have the same dynamic in play. In a system where accusation is a substitute for evidence and the screaming mob is right outside the door, one is always forced to ponder the question begged; “What IS the distinction between revenge and justice?”

Lew on February 20, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I hope that Ed didn’t deliberately omit Jim Caviezel’s name from his list of stunning portrayals in the movie.

smagar on February 20, 2010 at 9:50 AM

a barbaric practice still employed in many parts of the world

1. You do realize your god commanded it in the past, right Ed?
2. How is the method any more barbaric than, say, the electric chair? Shouldn’t the focus be on the context of the execution rather than the method?

Darth Executor on February 20, 2010 at 10:12 AM

But Charles Johnson stated that everyone at CPAC was white?

carbon_footprint on February 20, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Can you blame him? I’d see white everywhere too if I had spent an entire day in an outhouse tank.

Darth Executor on February 20, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Haven’t seem this flick, but I’ll have to. I did see that movie Osama, about the girl who has to pretend to be a boy so she can work to support her family after her dad dies, takes place in Taliban-controlled Afghanistan. Very good movie as well…got a liberal friend of mine to watch it, and she did a 180 on her thoughts of the Afghan war…she, an anti-war peacenick, said we shoulda killed more of ‘em.

JetBoy on February 20, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Darth Executor on February 20, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Ha Ha!

carbon_footprint on February 20, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Sometimes it’s hard to realize the, (for a better word), atrocities that are still taking place in the 21st century while society blindly looks the other way.

(sidenote: did you get any sleep at all last night Ed? What a day to remember!)

Rovin on February 20, 2010 at 10:23 AM

1. You do realize your god commanded it in the past, right Ed? Darth Executor on February 20, 2010 at 10:12 AM

There’s a monumental difference D.E. between what God commanded centuries ago and what’s taking place today. Unless, of course you can provide a link where you picked up on God commanding the Iranians to execute this woman. And I’m certain we’d all like to see that link!

Rovin on February 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Rovin on February 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Ed specifically condemned the method of execution, not just how it was applied. That God didn’t command this woman’s execution is completely irrelevant. My question was regarding Ed disparaging the METHOD of execution. I have no doubt that the Iranian application is not particularly just, but that has nothing to do with the point I was making.

Darth Executor on February 20, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Rovin at 10:23
Our jerk president affirmatively wants Americans to look away and to “respect” and accept the people who commit these atrocities against women.

GaltBlvnAtty on February 20, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Darth Executor on February 20, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Re-reading the context of your post on February 20, 2010 at 10:12 AM, I stand/sit justifiably and humbly corrected.

(heads into kitchen to make another pot of coffee)

Rovin on February 20, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I believe Ed said the movie was respectful to Islam back in the original release period. When you consider that every last ounce of content in this film is a result of the ‘respected’ ideology that generated the sh*thole universe it occurs in, I have to think Ed is shielding for Islam or has no grounding in the imperatives Allah places on the captured souls of Islam.

BL@KBIRD on February 20, 2010 at 12:29 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on February 20, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Great point! In the words of our AGW friends, I’ve come to a consensus that this nation might never have become more leaderless by a president that continues to “look the other way”.

Rovin on February 20, 2010 at 12:33 PM

This film made me angry(I was just finally able to watch it today).. and men who use a religion to harm women for their own lust.. of power. .of other women.

But it made me angrier at our own stupid, liberal Feminazi’s. Until they get their heads out of the sand SCREAMING about incidents like this and the outrage of mutilating little girls , I think they are an absolute joke. Here that, Rosie, or Babs Streisand, or all the ones that started the brainless stupid movement? You guys are a joke. worthless. And you are all liars.

You need to watch this movie..Soraya, and the aunt. They are real women. You all are jokes.

Noelie on February 20, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Ed is absolutely right! The Stoning of Soraya M. is a brilliant movie!

And it is an important movie for us all to see, particularly as we hear about the current protests in Iran. The psychology is fascinating and it shows how evil happens when good people do nothing.

Take the first step toward stopping this evil practice by watching this movie then spread the word to others!

wren on February 21, 2010 at 4:45 AM

This film is still on my must-see list.

If one of the premium channels had showed it I would have already seen it, but TTBOMK it hasn’t been scheduled to run even once.

Instead, they are running a ‘documentary’ that alleges the true story behind Soraya M. is false (!). I have avoided it thus far but I see the description for it when changing channels, and in the past several months alone I’ve seen it scheduled at least 10 times or so. What is the good word on all of this? Thanks.

RD on February 21, 2010 at 3:34 PM