Video: CPAC boos speaker for condemning invite to gay conservative group

posted at 6:05 pm on February 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Greg Hengler, a clip that’s not as surprising as it may at first seem. The One’s agenda has vaulted fiscal conservatism to the top of the list of right-wing priorities; with even Darth Cheney sanguine about gay marriage, social issues simply don’t have the same bite that they used to. In fact, I’m curious to know if Ed’s gotten the same vibe at the convention that Time magazine’s getting — namely, thanks to the GOP’s tilt towards libertarianism, that the big tent is a little bigger this year than it used to be.

While I was flipping through the autobiography, a woman approached the booth. Catherine Sumner, it turned out, was part of GOProud, a group of openly gay Republicans and conservatives that for the first time is taking part in CPAC. “Is this your flyer?” Sumner demanded, waving the white and green pamphlet. Thus launched a debate about gays in the military that pretty much ended when the booth attendee told her that homosexuality is a sin and she’s going to hell.

“It’s insulting,” Sumner, 31, who edits a military magazine, said turning away. “Across the board the reaction to GOProud’s presence here has been positive, but then you have guys like this. Even Dick Cheney came out and says he supports us. Conservatives have to be more inclusive, they have to be.” In fact, just one group, Liberty University, boycotted CPAC over the inclusion of GOProud, though the Catholic crowd weren’t the only ones unnerved by their presence: one booth down from GOProud’s set up in the fourth row, those manning the National Organization for Marriage, which works to ban gay marriage, kept casting nervous – and slightly envious – glances at the somewhat larger crowd surrounding GOProud’s booth.

The tensions didn’t end there. Along the back wall 2004 World Poker Champion Greg Raymer stood waiting for a talk radio interview. “Focus on the Family considers poker immoral,” Raymer said, gesturing towards the Focus on the Family booth down an aisle. “They have no right to tell me what to do.” Raymer is at CPAC representing the Poker Players Alliance, which is lobbying to have a 2005 ban on Internet poker lifted – literally one of the last bills passed by the GOP before they lost control of Congress. “In the privacy of our own homes, consenting adults should be able to do whatever they want,” Raymer said. “Gambling is legal in America. They shouldn’t be mandating how we live. If they consider it a sin, they shouldn’t do it. But don’t tell me I can’t do it.”

Ed wrote a solid post supporting GOProud’s participation back before Christmas. Read that as prep for the clip.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 14

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM

I hope you’re proud that you’re contributing to the bad reputation of Christianity.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 7:03 PM

But if this @sshole’s antics are OK with you, then I’d kindly ask you to keep your bigoted mindset out of the body politic. There is no philosophical or constitutional basis for treating fellow Americans so poorly. Anyone insisting that this mindset has any part in a legitimate political movement should rethink their civic participation.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I never said I was okay with this person or what he said. I merely said that I would rather be in a party with him than in a party with 95% of the left.

Also, I don’t support what the man said and I don’t support his choice of venue, but I don’t have any desire to shut anyone up.

myrenovations on February 19, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Their politics may be right, but their lifestyle is wrong.

KSgop on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

The “P” in CPAC stands for “Political.” This was not a “lifestyle” conference. The “C” in CPAC stands for “Conservative,” which means that this anus of a speaker should well understand the difference between the two.

notropis on February 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

So, what exactly did Jesus say about homosexuality?

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM

He fulfilled the law.

daesleeper on February 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

So, what exactly did Jesus say about homosexuality?

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM

He says it is an abomination.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Unfortunately for you, that doesn’t work. You can’t “accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Savior” while at the same time completely ignoring any part of his Word that you personally don’t agree with.

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM

It does work. If you accept Christ, you are saved. You can lose your salvation from your own doing, but if you accept him and admit your sins you are in.

We are all sinners Gregor. ALL.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Thanks.

aengus on February 19, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Call me names if you must, but I am torn on this issue. My religion flatly states that homosexuality is a sin. My religion ALSO STATES that all sins are forgiven by the Lord Jesus, no matter how grievous the man-made law mandates & it states that all sins are equally bad. With all that stated, I peruse the site hillbuzz.org and those boys are my kind of people. I don’t WANT to know they are gay, b/c my conservatism tells me to mind my own business and stick to the political issues. I WANT these guys on my side; they are rock solid & I love them. Truly.

I wholeheartedly do not want any man-made laws saying gay marriage is a legal union. I am unapologetic for this stance; to be apologetic would equate to me wavering on my religion, which will never happen.

I also don’t want to lose guys like the ones who run hillbuzz. They are awesome for our POLITICAL CAUSE – the cause of Constitutional conservatism.

None of us is perfect; my binge drinking and VERY OFTEN foul mouth are just as sinful as the gay lifestyle choice according to Jesus. I am no better. I disagree with them on sexual orientation and they would probably disagree with me on my admitted sins, too. Jesus loves us all.

My religion is pure; I am not. God bless us all – we are all Americans.

Ris4victory on February 19, 2010 at 7:05 PM

What’s CC? I think it’s because the NRA is one of the smartest, most effective political orgs ever created. They ran rings around George Bush Sr., who they did not endorse in 1991, and then Clinton and the Dem Congress which came after.

aengus on February 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM

CC = Concealed carry. Ever since more states started making licenses available, crime has crept ever downward. Combined with the skyrocketing crime in England after they banned handguns, more people are coming around to the notion that more guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens does, in fact, equal less crime.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM

OldEnglish on February 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM

My bible says Honor thy parents (paraphrasing). Some others have Remember the Sabbath (also paraphrasing). Nothing about gays (ironic that I would have a Bible- I know!).

Hades69 on February 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM

That’s not talking the talk or walking the walk, that’s being a douche, plain an simple.

Complete7 on February 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I disagree. If there are, indeed, any “douches” around this evening, they’re the ragers working this guy’s opinions toward more promotion for homosexual activism.

Seems to the “douches” an opinion is only respectable when it aids and abets a Leftwing activism group. Goproud is neither GOP nor Conservative, and the sponsorship at CPAC this year is the controversy, as it is also offensive.

If people engaged in homosexuality want to hype their “fiscal conservativism,” why the defining/marginalizing BEHAVIOR of homosexuality? Think about this outside the fear factor of being heckled by ready-and-waiting activists.

I agree that the sponsorship is offensive and had no place at CPAC but I do note that many who promote this group and their sponsorship have engaged in pretty lowdown, nasty name-calling about others.

Look at the fruit produced, not very appealing. At one point in time I didn’t bat an eye about people promoting homosexuality but after the last year or so of seeing how ugly people get in defending, promoting, accommodating it, my views have changed: they’re responsible for a great deal of negativity that intentionally hurts other people and I don’t respect it.

The guy had an opinion, obviously felt that opinion strongly, he was applauded loudly by the audience before the booing began, he stated what he thought and then he left the stage (I watched it).

Instead, the predictable name-calling has ensued about the guy by desperate people.

Lourdes on February 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 7:03 PM

You give him too much credit…christianity already has an irreparably bad reputation ;-)

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Never have been a fan of the over the top religious types. I’m pretty conservative socially, at least on abortion. Just don’t give a damn about demeaning gay people, or condemning them, or whatever these types of people want others to do.

therightwinger on February 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

By your own words in this thread you’re a self-proclaimed bigot. Furthermore, hiding behind the particularly hateful brand of Christianity you appear to practice as a defense to your bigotry makes you a coward as well.

dakine on February 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I am pro-gun, but have no problem with a waiting period or a reasonable and honest background check. I don’t want any yahoo to be able to buy a gun.

Gun control only serves to restrict the 2nd Amendment rights of honest citizens like yourself.
Yahoos are able to buy guns–check the crime reports of your local paper lately?
And none of their guns are registered.

I am pro-life, but I realize there are times when abortion truly is the answer. If my 25 year old niece was raped and became pregnant could I, in right conscious, tell her to carry the baby to term? No, I could not.

Why should the baby be murdered because of the way it’s conceived?
You either are pro-Life in all cases or you’re not.
There’s only one justified instance for abortion and that’s when it comes down to saving the life of the baby or the mother…

Gays? Don’t get me started. I have friends who are conservative and gay, I have relativese who are gay, and my son in the military has fellow Airmen who are gay (DADT is STUPID).

You started yourself, dear.
We all know nice homosexual friends and relatives, but that doesn’t mean that our public policy regarding traditional marriage should be changed to suit them nor should DADT be repealed.
DADT is effective in maintaining good morale among our troops. There is no need whatsoever for serving soldiers to “be out.” None.

So called social issues aren’t important when you compare them to the deficit, spending, national security, and high taxes.ladyingray on February 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Social Conservatism is as important as Fiscal Conservatism and Strong Defense when it comes to preserving what made this nation great.
Don’t be deceived.

BTW, the headline for this is deceptive: I heard only about a dozen folks booing, not “CPAC” as the heading implies.

Jenfidel on February 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Did I say the Bible condones homosexual behavior? All I’ve said in the past is that it does not.

You a preacher for Westboro Baptist?

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM

You might want to try that again there, sport. I think you got your propaganda turned around.

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM

He says it is an abomination.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

O RLY? Which verse was that? Because last I checked it didn’t exist.

He fulfilled the law.

daesleeper on February 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

God’s law of the Old Testament? In toto? Is that really the path you want to go down, that the Old Testament is incorporated in its entirety? Because I’m pretty sure that’s not what Jesus did…

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM

He says it is an abomination.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Um, no, he didn’t. The Old Testament said that.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Why can’t a gay person be conservative? If they do t3h gh3y in their own homes, what business is it of anybody else?

I think some “social conservatives” make the same ASSumptions the Left makes about the law as some Ultimate reflection of popular will—and fear that laws that tolerate gays will reflect Bad Things on the Ultimate Will Of The People (TM) bring down the wrath of Jebus.

However, the law is just the social arrangements a society makes to ensure that individuals within that society step on as few toes as possible when going about their daily business. The Ancient Hebrews didn’t need regulations on pig farming.

Sekhmet on February 19, 2010 at 7:08 PM

I wasn’t begging, and it was for my recently widowed mom.

I am oldschool; I don’t see the difference between begging and crusading for a new federal entitlement.

But that was a rough time for me, and I was grasping at straws as I dealt with my grief. If you want to make this an ad hominem type of argument, id ask that you keep me the hell out of it. If you’d like to take issue with something I said, feel free.
ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I am RESPONDING to a personal argument:

To all Hot Air bigots: Its 2010. It is time for you to let go of your ignorant, regressive social constructs. Those ideals you hold so dear are entirely arbitrary. They were chosen on a whim, you are following a whimsical myth. You have been had. Get over your arbitrary hatred, for there is no room for it anymore.
ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

You should go on youtube and search out the clip where Sen. Byrd explains the utility of the 3rd person in debate because it cools the animosity that must inevitably flow when the personal “You” is used.

And I did have a broad point: Christian ‘myth’ is a part of our culture, and if we need politics purged of the Christianist taint, then ya might get stung…

Chris_Balsz on February 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I don’t really care about the marriage issue; I’m for it myself. But if anyone thinks they can win with the social conservatives you are sadly delusional. The reality is that most people do not support gay marriage and that’s not just limited to Republicans or conservatives. Minorities tend to vote Democrat and are also against the gay marriage issue. However, that does not mean that gay conservatives should be excluded, but we need to be honest about this.

xax on February 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Or else you’ll what? Make fun of some people? Call them names?

Woah noes!

TheUnrepentantGeek on February 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM

To people who want to split up the movement or party or whatever along “social issues:”

Would you rather that the Chinese were setting our social policy? Because that’s who will be doing it for our kids, unless we get our act together.

(Which would please Thomas Friedman, at least.)

notropis on February 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I think some “social conservatives” make the same ASSumptions the Left makes about the law as some Ultimate reflection of popular will—and fear that laws that tolerate gays will reflect Bad Things on the Ultimate Will Of The People (TM) AND bring down the wrath of Jebus.

fixed

Sekhmet on February 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Most that have commented disagreed with the speaker but you decided to call out HotAir bigots as if the site or the Right has a monopoly on bigotry. Lately you have taken a contrarian tact on every thing including being rude to people who’s beliefs are based in the religion, culture and/or age and are every bit as valid as the beliefs you espouse with your vast experience and knowledge accrued in your numerous years. You are mighty young to have such a closed mind and you sure won’t change anyone else’s,

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2010 at 7:10 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Yeah, the speaker was a d!ck. And he didn’t even get the name of the group right. My first, lengthy comment to that effect timed out and I don’t feel like retyping it after seeing the same thing in bits and pieces throughout the rest of the thread.

But just as there’s no excuse for Mr. Sorba to be a d!ck, there’s no excuse for you to be one either and dictate crap to all of us ‘bigots’.

BadgerHawk on February 19, 2010 at 7:10 PM

So, what exactly did Jesus say about homosexuality?

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM

He says it is an abomination.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Where in the Bible can I find Jesus saying that?

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 7:10 PM

therightwinger on February 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I agree with others that Sorba seems to be reacting to something we know nothing about. Especially when he says that guy “made an enemy today”. Surely not by sitting in the audience and frowning.

Chris_Balsz on February 19, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Apart from any religious views, the organization is named “Conservative…”.

There’s nothing even remotely related to Conservativism by homosexual behavior. These are non-sequitorial issues, not even on the same planet, theories or concerns-wise.

So this one group of homosexuals, whose entire premise is to organize based upon homosexuality, gets *used* as a sponsor as they are eager to use the Convention in sponsoring it, and foments some tenuous “we’re fiscal conservatives” premise in order to so much as to try to draw any association with CPAC.

IF they/members/group is fiscally conservative, why the sexuality and homosexual-activism organization? Any mature person who is candid socially and with themselves will easily recognize that their function is the latter.

Lourdes on February 19, 2010 at 7:11 PM

He says it is an abomination.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

O RLY? Which verse was that? Because last I checked it didn’t exist.

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Lev 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Romans 1:26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Conservatism ain’t just about government spending and over reaching violations of “freedom.”

Add in preservation of the Constitution and yes, it is.

Morals are universal.

The government has no business in peoples personal lives just as the government has no business abridging our second amendment.

Demanding control of one opens the demand for control of the other.

Anything else is hypocrisy and for the values party, guarantees minority.

Speakup on February 19, 2010 at 7:12 PM

He fulfilled the law.

daesleeper on February 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

“Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.”

Romans 13:8

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Jesus wasn’t in the book of Leviticus, dingleberry.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Where in the Bible can I find Jesus saying that?

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Aren’t you a Roman Catholic? Shouldn’t you be consulting your priest on the matter?

TheUnrepentantGeek on February 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Nice! Conservatives need to exorcise those demons.

I’m afraid the “Framers” themselves would have agreed with the speaker, but their human example is not what we follow, but their written words in the Constitution.

The Gay/Les movement is a threat to freedom, too obsessed and corrupt for their own good. GOPride is a welcome voice to oppose their irrational belligerence, much like the Black Conservatives who shine light on the harm of perpetual race grievance mongers.

By the way that Olympic Euro-Trash robbed Johnny Weir of a Bronze medal.

Agrippa2k on February 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM

“If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.”

Leviticus 20:13

Ris4victory on February 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Because I’m pretty sure that’s not what Jesus did…

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I haven’t had too much entertainment today. Please explain it to me.

daesleeper on February 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Where in the Bible can I find Jesus saying that?

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I believe in the Trinity and the whole counsel of the Word of God. So while Jesus may not have said it, He is not in disagreement with either the Holy Spirit or God, and God has said it as well as other inspired writers such as Paul.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:14 PM

As long as you guys don’t attack me for my lifestyle of “polygamy”. Are my ten 5 foot 10 inch tall Swedish wives welcome? Only two of which are my cousins.

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 7:14 PM

He deserves to get booed. It is one thing to oppose giving homosexuals a legal relationship de facto the same as the one between man and wife, it is one thing to oppose the military policy concerning Homosexuality.

It is another entirely to use a political platform to bash people out of your prejudice.

Holger on February 19, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Most of that audience were Ron Paul supporters, because the Dr. was set to speak after this guy. The problem for those kids isn’t supporting the gay lobby. The real problem is that they are buying into this crazy limited government philosophy that’s directly opposed to McCain, Romney, Rove, and the rest of the thieves.

The Dean on February 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I believe you were asked where JESUS said it was an abomination…

Not to mention, I assume you believe in not shaving, don’t eat shellfish, don’t wear cotton blends, and that kids who talk back to their parents should be put to death as well.

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM

If the new movement is towards fiscal responsibility with a “libertarian” view (meaning a negative-rights dogma) towards so-called social issues, that’s fine, as far as it goes. Many posters here sure seem excited about it. But don’t effing call it conservatism, because it’s not. And if you think it is, go read.
In fact, it’s kinda like 20th century liberalism in that, people perceive a big problem (in this instance, DEBT!) and they don’t care WTF it takes to cure it. And they certainly ain’t gonna look ahead. Mix that with misplaced social opprobrium, self-righteousness, and a overwhelming sense of being lost as a society, metaphysically speaking, and ZAM! You get…this.
Personally, I don’t think the national govenment has F-all business managing “social” issues, but ever since the profound, tragic, slo-mo mistake of Constitutional incorporation, we haven’t been left with much choice.
Western society will live to regret its fetishization of homosexuality, along with other insane doctrines that “conservatives” like those here have kow-towed to to an appalling degree (and I dare not say why). But, at least, we won’t regret it, as a functional civilization, for long.

exlibris on February 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM

By the way that Olympic Euro-Trash robbed Johnny Weir of a Bronze medal.

Agrippa2k on February 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM

That sucks. I love the fact that Weir has spit in the eyes of PETA.

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM

He says it is an abomination.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

In which gospel did he say that?

dedalus on February 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM

1 Corinthians 2:14

That will be my contribution to the verse game…

daesleeper on February 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Jesus IS God according to my religion (the worst of all, Baptist) – I am not judging anyone trollies, that is Jesus’ job – I am just contributing to the conversation.

Ris4victory on February 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Jesus wasn’t in the book of Leviticus, dingleberry.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Thanks for the civility.

Jesus is a part of the Trinity. He is even mentioned in Genesis…. “Let US make man in our image…”

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM

This thread is the perfect Friday flame war recipe. But alas, my liver demands sustenance. Good night, everyone.

BadgerHawk on February 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM

This is exactly the kind of crap that can keep the GOP from winning the landslide that is possible in November. The hardcore religious are going to try to control the agenda of the GOP based on issues like abortion and gay rights, which will allow the left and the msm to once again paint mainstream Republicans as a bunch of bible-thumping nut jobs out of touch with mainstream America. Take a note from the Tea Party – focus on economics, govt spending, and reducing the size and power of the Federal govt. Leave the social issues out of it. Now is not the time. If you insist on going down the hard right social road, it just about guarantees a major disappointment in November. I don’t care about gays, or your religion. I just want a job, low taxes, and personal freedom.

JC in CA on February 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM

entropent on February 19, 2010 at 7:03 PM

That’s okay, I think it a mom thing.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM

My religion is pure; I am not. God bless us all – we are all Americans.

Ris4victory on February 19, 2010 at 7:05 PM

The Bible is just a book with good lessons in it. That is all. There is a “God,” as in a creator, but letting a book (written by man and just man) — a really good book, but a book nonetheless — be the basis of your beliefs is absurd.

Narutoboy on February 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I saw that!

I was flabbergasted that he went off script to holler at these people. Because I was not watching all the time, I had no clue of the constant booing.

No reports of fighting on the parking lot?

ProudPalinFan on February 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM

TheUnrepentantGeek on February 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM

In defense of faith, it’s acceptable to question others. But you’re right that RC’s are discouraged from bible discussion…as it leads to personal interpretation.

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:06 PM

As opposed to Homosexual extremists?

Please Ernesto, do you really want to go there?

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Romans 13:8

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM

eros?
philos?
agape?

Chris_Balsz on February 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Don’t forget selling your children into slavery, that was allowed under old Judaic Law.

Holger on February 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Only two of which are my cousins.

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Well, today Michael Medved made a “compelling” case as to why I should not oppose cousin love.

myrenovations on February 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM

In which gospel did he say that?

dedalus on February 19, 2010 at 7:15 PM

If you don’t believe in the whole counsel of God or the Trinity, I can’t help you out.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM

He says it is an abomination.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

O RLY? Which verse was that? Because last I checked it didn’t exist.

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:11 PM

So I ask for the Jesus quote you say exists, and you give me an Old Testament quote written 500 years before Jesus’s birth and a New Testament quote written 30 years after Jesus’s death, by Paul.

Fail.

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Thanks for the civility.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM

When you willfully ignore your mistake, and fudge meanings in order to get around your error, you’re a dingleberry. You said that Jesus called homosexuality an abomination. Wrong. You lose. No copy of the home game. No year’s supply of Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco treat. Just a reminder that you need to review your scripture a bit more.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 7:18 PM

You a preacher for Westboro Baptist?

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Low blow Jet. Wow.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 7:19 PM

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM

No. See, I’ve done no apologizing for the actions of any activists. You may see that as the only way you can take issue with my comment, and thats ok, but please, don’t put words in my mouth.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:19 PM

myrenovations on February 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Swedish and 5′ 10″ is all the “compelling” i needed. /

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Love the sinner, hate the sin.

Robert17 on February 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Okay, but this is 2010. Conservatives should be about limited government, not dictating to the public their own personal religious values and beliefs.

therightwinger on February 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Wow, what a shame this thread has degenerated into dueling Bible quotes. Nobody wins when the Bible is used as a bludgeon.

entropent on February 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Please give the example where I said that because I did not.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:21 PM

My problem with the outing Gays in the military is this…

The priority for these patriots should be their service. There have never been any black- asian- jewish- Marines. They are just Marines. It is only those who are not who demand the distinction – and cause the harm.

I suspect that the push and emphasis on the issue is by those with no respect for the military in the first place.

Kicking them out, seems wrong, but should there be a check box on the entry form? Do you need to be out to get in?

Agrippa2k on February 19, 2010 at 7:21 PM

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Oh yeah, it’s by love that you’re justi-OH WAIT

What use is it, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but he has no works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and be filled,” and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself. But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.”

But maybe you’re right. Maybe someone can sin as long-oh noooo

For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all. For He who said, “DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY,” also said, “DO NOT COMMIT MURDER.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but do commit murder, you have become a transgressor of the law.

Guess what? Sin is sin is sin. The point of repentence is to “go and sin no more”, not as an excuse for being able to do whatever you damn well please.

Of course, this is entirely separate from whether or not GOProud should be in CPAC. I think it should, and I don’t think the American government should be involved in regulating religious matters.

But that’s irrelevant to the fact that homosexuality is a sin, and if you don’t know it, it’s only because of a stunning ignorance of the Bible.

apollyonbob on February 19, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I didn’t call all of HA bigots. If you harbor the views this speaker does, you’re a bigot. There’s no 2 ways about it. The last time people made those arguments, they were arguing against interracial marriage. This is evil bigotry. If anyone on HA agrees with him (and some on this thread certainly do), then they are bigots and subject to my comment. If you disagree with the speaker, I did not call you a bigot.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Low blow Jet. Wow.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 7:19 PM

If the shoe fits…

And not nearly as low a blow as being condemned to hell by a supposed preacher. Now that’s low.

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM

There are many people that like to think of themselves as small goverment types, that aren’t small government about anything other than spending their dollars. It’s ok to admit this. I am not completely consistent in this myself. There are social issues that I align with the social conservatives, and some that I align more with the libertarian mindset.

I tend to think almost all of this stuff is best left to the states to do what they will. The sanctity of marriage stuff argument falls a little short when you have the shams of marriages than many of us straight people have. And not just Tiger Woods! I’m living with my girlfriend and scripture will tell me that is wrong too…yet that is between me and God and is none of the government’s business.

On another note, glad to see the poker players lobbying this online law hard. This is in the 10-20% I disagree with my representatives on. And yes, online poker is my pet vice. I’m a sinner and I am biased.

stldave on February 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Please give the example where I said that because I did not.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:21 PM

That is just a game it plays. That way it can feel superior.

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM

entropent on February 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM

FIFY

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM

I haven’t had too much entertainment today. Please explain it to me.

daesleeper on February 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM

About full incorporation of the Old Testament? Do you like bacon? Are there any Christians out there that like bacon?

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Low blow Jet. Wow.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 7:19 PM

That was a perfect right to the solar plexus. He’s staggering. He can’t get his gloves up.

Jet’s gettin’ killed out there! No, no, he ain’t gettin’ killed, he’s gettin’ mad!

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM

By the way that Olympic Euro-Trash robbed Johnny Weir of a Bronze medal.

Agrippa2k on February 19, 2010 at 7:13 PM

My wife and I were so pissed at that. That little japanese guy fell, and Johnny Weir gets 6th? He was robbed.

Plus he told PETA to go **** off. Made my month.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Don’t worry…you’re a bigot for other reasons.

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Oh really? Care to give a few examples Martha?

Hey, you know? You’re a bigot because you hate those who think homosexuality is filthy. Why are you such a bigot?!

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Even when it’s conservative gays?

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

So are you okay with conservative Nazis? Not that I’m comparing the two, but are you saying it’s okay to sell out on your morals if they are paying cash and belong to your own Party? I’m comparing the two.

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

FTFY.

JohnGalt23 on February 19, 2010 at 7:23 PM

The social issues are the most important ones for me and for millions of others.

Rose on February 19, 2010 at 7:23 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Haven’t seen you chastise said “activists” either. Just the blanket condemnation of Christians and supposed bigots. Selective outrage is interesting.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2010 at 7:23 PM

The Cross has faced down the Fasces, the Crescent, the Swastika and the Hammer and Sickle…in our time the Sign of the Beast is the ;-)

Chris_Balsz on February 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 7:18 PM

So if Jesus didn’t explicitly mention something as a sin, then it’s not?

I’m not wholly certain you understand Christianity.

apollyonbob on February 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 7:14 PM

That’s what a nation made up of community standards and the laws that result, not proselytizing and absolutely not political party platforms.

Speakup on February 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Please give the example where I said that because I did not.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Yes, you did.

So, what exactly did Jesus say about homosexuality?

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM

He says it is an abomination.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 7:04 PM

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Rose on February 19, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Rose can you expand on that a bit?

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Thanks for displaying your insincerity and ignorance!

daesleeper on February 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Both gay and straight people can respectfully disagree on issues like gay marriage and DADT. But I think these issues should remain a matter of polite disagreement, with a focus on what gay and straight conservatives have in common.

And with the exception of these issues, gay and straight conservatives have a LOT in common. If they ever found a “gay gene,” I think everybody agrees here that the future gay person should not be aborted. As for taxes and other fiscal issues–gays have on average higher incomes than straight people. This means gays see the target on their own backs (or rather their wallets).

I think gay conservatives make much betetr allies than opponents.

Sekhmet on February 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM

This argument is really quite pointless. Christian doctrine on homosexuality is not going to change even if you can convince 0.01% of the world’s one billion plus Christians that homosexuality and Christianity can be reconciled. Even reaching that modest number would require a huge, lifelong uphill struggle. A lot of the people here who are arguing the case are atheist or agnostic which doesn’t give them a lot of good-faith credibility.

aengus on February 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Rose on February 19, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Well, then you and millions of others are misguided. Sorry. There is no philosophical or constitutional basis for using any lever of government as a means to level hatred upon other Americans. You are simply wrong. Anyone validating your views is wrong. Anyone humoring you for the sake of getting your vote is wrong. All wrong.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Now that’s pretty ignorant, even for a Christianity-hater (don’t know whether that’s what you are, but it’s ignorant, regardless.)

As with all great religious books, there’s a lot of good in it, even for unbelievers.

notropis on February 19, 2010 at 7:26 PM

So if Jesus didn’t explicitly mention something as a sin, then it’s not?

I’m not wholly certain you understand Christianity.

apollyonbob on February 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Who suggested that’s what I believed at all? My solicitation for Jesus quotes about homosexuality was in response to the commenters who were justifying their positions based on the assertion that such quotes existed. Which they don’t.

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM

We are all sinners Gregor. ALL.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 7:05 PM

We’re all sinners, and it’s true sinning itself won’t keep you from heaven. However, true acceptance of Jesus means at least attempting to live by what He taught, to the best of your understanding and ability to resist temptation. You can accept Jesus and fail to live by His teachings, but you cannot accept Him without at least trying to live by them.

So ignoring His teachings is impossible if you accept Him, not because of some rule, but just because by definition, you don’t ignore someone who you accept as your Savior.

RINO in Name Only on February 19, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2010 at 7:23 PM

This post has nothing to do with gay activists being extreme and bigoted. I’m gonna have to go ahead and say you’re just lying.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:27 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Wow all that from her statement?

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 7:27 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Believe me, I took issue with your “Rant” earlier. Go look. Telling people of Faith on HotAir that what they believe in is phony, or a fraud is way way WAY over the line.

And as for telling Mrs. Munsford to “Stick it”, I’d b!tch slap you so hard your partner would feel it.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Hey… I’m very libertarian and think that focusing on fiscal and govt. is better for Republicans than going into social issues or basically being jerks to people who disagree with you (like telling the gay lady she’s going to hell) are ridiculous. Those sort of issues have no place in gov’t. and should be decided by personal beliefs. And even if you believe that because of religion, learn some manners…

Illinidiva on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

I tend to agree with this, IF ONLY gays could stop going around telling all the kids that being gay is such a treat. That tends to go both ways. Ask Jetboy. His entire life and every thought revolves around his sexual preference. I doubt he takes a step without first contemplating how it impacts his desires.

Be gay if you want. I don’t give a cr&p. But why do you have to go around marketing it?

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I wasn’t aware that winning in 2010 and 2012 was conditional on Republicans embracing homosexuality.

Count me out.

David2.0 on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I’m quite sure the exits are clearly marked.

JohnGalt23 on February 19, 2010 at 7:28 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Completely false!

I don’t know how people in the past made the argument against interracial marriage, but it was a totally different problem and issue than same sex marriage.

Jenfidel on February 19, 2010 at 7:28 PM