Video: CPAC boos speaker for condemning invite to gay conservative group

posted at 6:05 pm on February 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Greg Hengler, a clip that’s not as surprising as it may at first seem. The One’s agenda has vaulted fiscal conservatism to the top of the list of right-wing priorities; with even Darth Cheney sanguine about gay marriage, social issues simply don’t have the same bite that they used to. In fact, I’m curious to know if Ed’s gotten the same vibe at the convention that Time magazine’s getting — namely, thanks to the GOP’s tilt towards libertarianism, that the big tent is a little bigger this year than it used to be.

While I was flipping through the autobiography, a woman approached the booth. Catherine Sumner, it turned out, was part of GOProud, a group of openly gay Republicans and conservatives that for the first time is taking part in CPAC. “Is this your flyer?” Sumner demanded, waving the white and green pamphlet. Thus launched a debate about gays in the military that pretty much ended when the booth attendee told her that homosexuality is a sin and she’s going to hell.

“It’s insulting,” Sumner, 31, who edits a military magazine, said turning away. “Across the board the reaction to GOProud’s presence here has been positive, but then you have guys like this. Even Dick Cheney came out and says he supports us. Conservatives have to be more inclusive, they have to be.” In fact, just one group, Liberty University, boycotted CPAC over the inclusion of GOProud, though the Catholic crowd weren’t the only ones unnerved by their presence: one booth down from GOProud’s set up in the fourth row, those manning the National Organization for Marriage, which works to ban gay marriage, kept casting nervous – and slightly envious – glances at the somewhat larger crowd surrounding GOProud’s booth.

The tensions didn’t end there. Along the back wall 2004 World Poker Champion Greg Raymer stood waiting for a talk radio interview. “Focus on the Family considers poker immoral,” Raymer said, gesturing towards the Focus on the Family booth down an aisle. “They have no right to tell me what to do.” Raymer is at CPAC representing the Poker Players Alliance, which is lobbying to have a 2005 ban on Internet poker lifted – literally one of the last bills passed by the GOP before they lost control of Congress. “In the privacy of our own homes, consenting adults should be able to do whatever they want,” Raymer said. “Gambling is legal in America. They shouldn’t be mandating how we live. If they consider it a sin, they shouldn’t do it. But don’t tell me I can’t do it.”

Ed wrote a solid post supporting GOProud’s participation back before Christmas. Read that as prep for the clip.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 14

fiscal responsibility
limited government
strong defense

I’m not interested in this other crap folks like this Sorba guy are trying to sell.

vermillionsky on February 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Thats correct.
Judge not ect.ect.

Amadeus on February 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM

No, it’s not. If it were, than nothing would be wrong. Guess murder is okay, since we’re not supposed to judge, huh? Who cares that we’re specifically told that Murder is evil?

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM

chicagojedi on February 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Good post. Prioritization and all that…

anuts on February 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM

What a tool.

And as far as I am concerned Libertarians are a-moral, and liberals are immoral. I will continue to stand with conservatives, i.e., those who truly stand for conservative values – all of them.

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Joe, you don’t stand for conservative values. You stand for fundamentalist and theocratic values. And that post makes you a jackass.

dakine on February 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM

This reminds me of a previous slant at CPAC…

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Jeff Frasey? Who the hell is that?

alohapundit on February 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

There’s a big difference between “social issues” like gambling and tolerance of gays, on the one hand, and the “social issue” of abortion on the other. I don’t think lumping them together really helps us out.

joe_doufu on February 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

I’m with the booers.

redwhiteblue on February 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Didn’t know the eleventh commandment was Thou shalt not bed with someone of the same sex.

Hades69 on February 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Eh… I don’t care what consenting adults do the privacy of their home. But the real problem is working out the very thorny legal issues. Chai Feldblum, Obama’s EEOC nominee, has publicly admitted that where religious rights and gay rights conflict that it is a zero sum game: someone absolutely is going to lose. (Ex: the New Mexico photog fined over $6k for refusing to take photos of a same sex commitment ceremony.)

This guy had a chance to address how it would impact real people’s lives on both sides of the issue, and he chose to act like a jerk about it. Wasted opportunity.

Laura on February 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Tolerant fellow, wasn’t he? Jerk!!!

yoda on February 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

I support GOProud. They’re our conservative brothers & sisters.

visions on February 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

entropent on February 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM

You’re quoting who I responded to, not my response.

anuts on February 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Guess Allah wanted to move really quick to see just how far he could push the new owners of HotAir.

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Perhaps Code Pink could make use of such a gigantic douche?

MarkT on February 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Not to mention, I love when some people say “you’re going to hell!”, when just saying that is in direct violation of scripture.

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Give me one verse, one verse, that condemns anyone who speaks of the ravages of eternal hell for the unsaved!

I am a Christian conservative pastor who has been studying Scripture for over 35 years, and I know for a fact that what you just said is a lie from the very depths of Hell.

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Bet you a 1000 bucks he pole smokes on the side…HA!

dangitt on February 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I do that to those that castigate him for walking the talk; something many of you don’t have the courage to do.

Virus-X on February 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Well there’s no excuse for ‘walking the walk’ in that regard. He was first of all a jerk, acting quite immature while being graciously hosted. His mother should be ashamed. Anyway, the man is simply living in the middle ages. The same “natural law” argument was used against interracial marriage. Keep these backwards ignorant knuckledraggers in your party guys, see how far that takes you.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

anuts on February 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

My bad. Still a good question, though.

entropent on February 19, 2010 at 6:44 PM

fiscal responsibility
limited government
strong defense

vermillionsky on February 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I agree.

darwin on February 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I can see why he’s afraid of gays.

He’s an a$$-hole.

notropis on February 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Thanks MC. That’s a great list. I’ve just notice that over the years whenever someone drops the term “social issues” it’s more or less shorthand for gay marriage and abortion. So I just wanted to get a sense about what others could define as a “social issue” in order to see if there really is that big of a division between “social cons” and “fiscal cons/libertarians”.

Weight of Glory on February 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Abortion and gay marriage are simply the ones that have been most hotly debated in recent years. Gun control has become less and less popular over time as CC has spread throughout the United States. The death penalty and drug legalization are actually becoming more popular, but people don’t get as fired up over them. Obscenity laws have been relegated to arguments over internet content and video games, which seems to cross partisan lines on a regular basis, and has more to do with nanny staters vs. libertarians. A lot of social issues have reached that point. Essentially, the line between social liberal and social conservative has gotten thinner and thinner as evangelicals have seized the social conservative label.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I’m glad to see the CPAC audience stand up to that jerk. We don’t need asshat’s like that in conservative movement.

Lance Murdock on February 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Are you comparing being gay to murder? Because if you want to start running through the Bible and quote things that are and are not acceptable, and the tout their presence in the book as definitive on their own terms, this is not going to go very well for you.

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I can see why he’s afraid of gays.

He’s an a$$-hole.

notropis on February 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Winner.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I’d sooner belong to a party that inlcudes this particular jerk than any member of the Obama administration or any lefty nutter.

myrenovations on February 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

So gay is the new litmus test?

I am not a libertarian, I never have been a libertarian, I’ve seen the issues that get the libertarians excited here on Hot Air — wider drug use, public nudity, mob behavior on city sidewalks, homosexual cruising in public bathrooms — and I think it more troubling that socialism. Socialism has to have a higher degree of coordination to do anything; all over the world it collapses from within; and here in America we stalled it without holding any majority. It didn’t even get to the Supreme Court, this time.

Better Obama than Allahpundit.

Chris_Balsz on February 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Who put you in charge of the gates of heaven?

entropent on February 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM

My scripture says a burning pit awaits you only if you don’t vote for Palin.

darwin on February 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

The Big Tent was out in spades yesterday.

However, I’d like to correct the poker player. The FotF people certainly do have the right to push for whatever restrictions they like, so long as the rules are local and the process by which the rules are made are democratic. That is exactly what limited government, as explained ad nauseum by various founders, is about.

The poker freedom people and GOProud need to remember that limited government means that in some places, there will be rules they do not like. On the other hand, there will be plenty of other places where the rules are exactly to their liking. And that’s exactly the way America is supposed to work.

Jimmie Bise, Jr on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

So some of you here believe “conservatives” should support the homosexual agenda without a whimper of protest or opposition? Huh?

Are you silent on gay marriage, on five year old children being taught in public schools that homosexuality is normal, that Jenny has two mommas? Do you think that it is OK to have homosexuals serving on nuclear subs and other Navy ships because they are born that way? Do you think that there should be laws that tell churches that they can’t fire homosexuals or private schools they can’t discriminate?

Get real conservatives or count me out of the Barney Frank GOP bandwagon.

TBenton on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I’m curious, sans homosexuality and abortion, what remains of “social issues”?

Weight of Glory on February 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Half a world remains, but it only exists in a parallel universe somewhere and is inaccessible to us.

In a truly ‘socially conservative’ world nobody would talk about ‘social conservatism’ or ‘social issues’; all these things would be unconscious, they would be like the air we breathe.

Let me present a thought experiment. Suppose the twentieth century had gone a different way. and Europe were now ruled by a rejuvenated Habsburg Empire. Our Austro-Hungarian enemies are America’s main compeditor for world power. The Habsburgs are aggressively Catholic; they have declared that they will use any means at their disposal, not excluding military force, to rid the world of American-sponsored evils like abortion and homosexual marriage.

They would regard us now as some of us once regarded the Soviet Union: as an aggressively leftist, revolutionary power. One advantage of this is that it would have a great clarifying effect. It would be harder, maybe imossible, to pretend that America has a conservative, “center-right” (to the right of what?) culture. It most certainly does not.

What it has is capitalism but libertarianism is capitalism with a liberal culture. Liberarianism says we all have a right to go to the devil in our own way. The question becomes ‘Where do we draw the line?’ Perhaps libertarianism is better than conservatism – I personally tend to vacillitate between the two – but they are definitely not the same thing.

aengus on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I love it when our most radical trolls such as ernesto and growfins show up and act like anything they say has any meaning or carries any weight.

Funny stuff.

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

:D

You’re kidding right? From the very depths of hell? Thats a joke, right? Congrats for studying useless myths my dear brother, but I’ll put money that you don’t know sh*t, let alone the facts as to whether arguments come from hell.

To all Hot Air bigots: Its 2010. It is time for you to let go of your ignorant, regressive social constructs. Those ideals you hold so dear are entirely arbitrary. They were chosen on a whim, you are following a whimsical myth. You have been had. Get over your arbitrary hatred, for there is no room for it anymore.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

You’re also a bigoted, fundamentalist jackass.

dakine on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Who’s the idiot who wrote the Time piece? Liberty University isn’t Catholic! Jerry Falwell would be very surprised to hear that it is!

DrStock on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Thanks again for your insight. It’s helpful, as always.

Weight of Glory on February 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Even worse…you’re a pastor who harbors that much hate towards your fellow man. You not only don’t speak for conservatives, you certainly don’t speak for Christ.

As for me “lying from the depths of hell”…I’m Catholic, at Mass every Sunday. But I’m sure an Evangelical like yourself harbors anti=Catholic views as well.

If you don’t think that condemning someone, for any reason, to hell isn’t the ultimate in judging (Judge not, lest ye be judged) than you have a big problem.

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Our country is headed for destruction when even the conservative side is riddled with perversion.

cjk on February 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM

myrenovations

Enjoy your party. Towel flicking and f*g jokes optional.

Grow Fins on February 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM

myrenovations on February 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Enable mindless bigotry if you must, it just reflects poorly on you.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I wasn’t aware that winning in 2010 and 2012 was conditional on Republicans embracing homosexuality.

Count me out.

David2.0 on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Embracing Homosexuality? That’s a bunch of crap. The Conservative movement has always been about ideas. To equate the Republicans having homosexuals in the ranks as “embracing homosexuality” is stupid. Is the Republican party “embracing adultry”? Do they “Embrace Greed”?

If you are a moral values only voter, than save that litmus test for the candidates and not for the party.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Funny stuff.

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I love it when you do that, too. Funny stuff.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Booooo! Ya dumb jock bigot.

Grow Fins on February 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM

You read this guys? You’re on Grow Fins side!!! THINK!!!

Apologetic California on February 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

DrStock on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Yeah, that was a confusing bit.

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

My scripture says a burning pit awaits you only if you don’t vote for Palin.

darwin on February 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

ha!

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM

cjk on February 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM

You have got to be joking.

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Hades69 on February 19, 2010 at 6:42 PM

It’s covered in the Fourth Commandment.

OldEnglish on February 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Enable mindless bigotry if you must, it just reflects poorly on you.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I’ve met all sorts of lefty bigots.

myrenovations on February 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Look youngster, you are not the smartest person in the world and your disrespectful behavior towards those who don’t agree with you is disgusting. Do you talk to your mother that way? Who the hell do you think you are?

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM

They need to admit that their desire to use government to force people to live the way they want is liberal, and stop tarnishing the conservative brand.

I agree. Its a bit galling to me for Social Conservatives to hold some special role to decide who is the true conservative, based on how much you agree with legislating social conservative values into law.

You could be for smaller government, low taxes, and strong defense, but if you do not feel its the governments job to promote social conservative values, they will call you RINO, liberal, and tell you to get the heck out.

Its ironic, but the social liberals, and social conservatives have something in common – they both want the government pushing their values onto people. Social conservatives are not against nanny statism, as long as they get to be the nanny.

And many cannot tell the different between Liberalism and Libertarianism, as evidenced by how often they call someone a Liberal, if you do not want the federal government in the legislating values business.

And no, for those who thing the Republican Party has historically pushed the values business, no, thats not true. the GOP used to be more of a western states party, based on small government, and the Social Conservatives voted hardcore Democrat. Social Conservatives moved to the GOP, partially because they saw it as a better vehicle for legislating Social Conservative values.

Remember, it was Social Conservatives who gave us Jimmy Carter in 1976, and who enthusiastically supported the big government new deal

firepilot on February 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM

You, sir, most certainly do not stand with conservatives!

Or for conservative values. Grow up already.

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM

And you sir are a blinkered ignoramus who spouts more nonsense per square inch on this issue every time it’s raised. If you want to say, “Leave me alone, I’m gay and I think it’s OK,” then fine, but when you have the audacity to suggest the Bible in any way condones that behavior, then that shows you don’t know the Bible, or the God who produced the Bible.

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM

You’re on Grow Fins side!!! THINK!!!

So anything I agree with you should just reflexively take the opposite view? That’s even dumber than Ryan Sorba.

Grow Fins on February 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 6:46 PM

You can’t suggest that you’re allowed to go around doing whatever the Hell you want just because we’re instructed by God to not judge. That’s what Jetboy is suggesting.

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM

TBenton on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

The problem for those that do not agree with the overwhelming booing that was displayed or those that agree with the jerk’s sentiment is that you (and others) have it backwards. It’s that homosexuals should support the conservative agenda. Why so difficult?

anuts on February 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM

nothing like a little truth to stir up the reprobates.

daesleeper on February 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM

You have got to be joking.

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Completely serious

cjk on February 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM

DrStock on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I think that’s bad editing. It should have read something like:

In fact, just one group, Liberty University, boycotted CPAC over the inclusion of GOProud based on religious tenets, though the Catholic crowd weren’t the only ones unnerved by their presence

Chris_Balsz on February 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I am a Christian. Here is my thought on this:

Gays pay taxes too. Gays want the personal destruction of this Administration to halt. Gays vote.

I’m All for Gay Conservatives who join the fight against Obama.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I agree and your comment bears repeating.

tru2tx on February 19, 2010 at 6:53 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

No they can stay in our party they just have to come to the realization they’re not going to dictate who can or can’t be in our party. There may have been a time when they could that but those days are pasted. They’re the ones that will have to change their intolerance towards others if they want to stay. They may not like it but that’s times we live in.

lowandslow on February 19, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

David2.0 on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

TBenton on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Thank you. I’m with you.

I don’t believe we can legislate morality. That has to come from within the heart. But to condone it as “normal” is the same as tacit consent.

It is a relevant issue because once you embrace it as being OK, then that leads to accepting it and teaching it in our classrooms as “normal” behavior which it clearly is not. Think about it. If we were all homosexual, civilization would die out. That’s not normal.

Homosexuality contributes to the breakdown of society by tearing down the family unit which is the social glue holding things together.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

cjk on February 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Every “side” has always been riddled with perversion. It’s caused by something most Christians refer to as “original sin.”

Now, what exactly that has to do with our federal government and its position on gay marriage, I don’t know.

notropis on February 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Savior, and you are Saved.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Either take issue with something specific, or shove it. This was as blatant a display of bigotry as I’ve ever seen on Hot Air. I am in no position to play nice with anyone who was OK with the way that speaker handled himself. So either show me where I made an illogical statement, or take your own bigotry and shove it.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

There are many teh gays who are conservative. I would even wager a near 40% of gay men vote Republican.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on February 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Every guy I’ve dated has been a Republican without me even looking for that… Liberal gays are just that much louder.

Lehosh on February 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM

What is it with the age thing? Atheling does that, too.

entropent on February 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

You’re also a bigoted, fundamentalist jackass.

dakine on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

You know, there are ways to disagree without becoming a jackass yourself.

darwin on February 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

What a strawman. Divorce is a far bigger culprit.

Grow Fins on February 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Francis Collins PhD would disagree.

daesleeper on February 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Oh for God’s sake a$$f^$k. Go away. There’s absolutely no comparison to murder in that comment and you know it. Take your Alinski tactics and $&*% off. …

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Aren’t you the same guy that Godwin’d this thread?

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Hard core conservatives are going to have to come around, or they will be marginalized forever.

I am pro-gun, but have no problem with a waiting period or a reasonable and honest background check. I don’t want any yahoo to be able to buy a gun. I have several myself as well as a permit to carry.

I am pro-life, but I realize there are times when abortion truly is the answer. If my 25 year old niece was raped and became pregnant could I, in right conscious, tell her to carry the baby to term? No, I could not. My sister was date raped by three men a few years ago – I would not tell her she had to carry the baby to term. Okay, I agree, rape and “inconvience” aren’t the same issue, but the biology of the baby is the same. Right?

Gays? Don’t get me started. I have friends who are conservative and gay, I have relativese who are gay, and my son in the military has fellow Airmen who are gay (DADT is STUPID).

So called social issues aren’t important when you compare them to the deficit, spending, national security, and high taxes. If you want to regulate “social issues” then the “one issue” vote you need to cast is which presidential candidate will appoint Supreme Court justices that reflect your views.

Anything else can be overturned by SCOTUS.

Forget social issues, vote for SCOTUS appointments.

If you get bent out of shape over a politican’s views on social issues, you’re just stupid. SCOTUS is the way to vote.

ladyingray on February 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I’ve met all sorts of lefty bigots.

myrenovations on February 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM

I’m sure you have. But if this @sshole’s antics are OK with you, then I’d kindly ask you to keep your bigoted mindset out of the body politic. There is no philosophical or constitutional basis for treating fellow Americans so poorly. Anyone insisting that this mindset has any part in a legitimate political movement should rethink their civic participation.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I love it when you do that, too. Funny stuff.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Have you come out yet? Or are you just pretending to care about others so much?

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:57 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Weren’t you the guy begging for charity out of compassion for his sick mom? I ask because those virtues were spread as part of an arbitrary myth.

Chris_Balsz on February 19, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Francis Collins PhD would disagree.

daesleeper on February 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I’m not saying you’re all knuckledraggers, but goddamn is this speaker a f*cking neanderthal. I’m familiar with Francis Collins’ work on the human genome, i know he’s no intellectual slouch. But there is no justification for this bigotry. None whatsoever.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Tool. Did I say the Bible condones homosexual behavior? All I’ve said in the past is that it does not.

You a preacher for Westboro Baptist?

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Actually, you can go around doing whatever the Hell you want if you’re a Christian and if you do it in good conscience. Paul said “all things are legal, but not all things are beneficial.” If you’re indwelled with the Holy Spirit, you can do as you please: the assumption being that you will “please” to do good.

Lehosh on February 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Their politics may be right, but their lifestyle is wrong.

KSgop on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Have you come out yet? Or are you just pretending to care about others so much?

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Imply Allah is gay for him thinking this guy is a tool. Imply I’m gay for thinking this guy is a tool. That’s such a clever, original little tactic you have there. Keep it up.

Or do you need a pill for that?

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Chris_Balsz on February 19, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I wasn’t begging, and it was for my recently widowed mom. But that was a rough time for me, and I was grasping at straws as I dealt with my grief. If you want to make this an ad hominem type of argument, id ask that you keep me the hell out of it. If you’d like to take issue with something I said, feel free.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

entropent on February 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

I happen to know that ernesto is a young man who is a contrarian who is more closed minded then most of the people he gladly labels as bigots because they don’t agree with him. He use to be willing to investigate and explore ideas outside of his own but now he just disagrees with everything. Rude is easy.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM

As I said before, you cannot give me a verse because you don’t know what you’re talking about. Matt. 7: 1 is the favorite verse of atheists, agnostics, and sinners of every stripe and color; how shocking someone like you would use it as if it was the be all and end all of biblical revelation.

I hope all of you genuine conservatives are getting a real good look at the kind of filth and venom being spewed out of the mouths of the many libertarians and anarchists that frequent this site.

As per the left, they have no argument other than emotion and vitriol.

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Oh wait. Simply pointing out that we’re not designed to work that way makes us a biiiiiiiiiiggggggggoooot.

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Don’t worry…you’re a bigot for other reasons.

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

ladyingray on February 19, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Don’t ask don’t tell is doomed. That’s a good thing.

entropent on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Hey… I’m very libertarian and think that focusing on fiscal and govt. is better for Republicans than going into social issues or basically being jerks to people who disagree with you (like telling the gay lady she’s going to hell) are ridiculous. Those sort of issues have no place in gov’t. and should be decided by personal beliefs. And even if you believe that because of religion, learn some manners…

Illinidiva on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

…instructed by God to not judge…

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:52 PM

There is a difference between judging (which implies condemnation) and discernment. God calls His people to be discerning, and His Word is the ultimate authority on what is truth. Whether we choose to embrace it as truth doesn’t change that it is Truth.

I am not suggesting that we execute people for homosexuality any more than I am for adultery or lying or stealing, but I also don’t want it any of that advocated and taught to my children as normal, acceptable behavior.

PrincipledPilgrim on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I used to enjoy your decidedly contrarian takes on things, but your schtick has gotten tiresome.

You’re lurching left when the country is moving right.

BadgerHawk on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Their politics may be right, but their lifestyle is wrong.

KSgop on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Your lifestyle is wrong. See how easy that is? Try an argument that’s a little more intellectually challenging next time.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Savior, and you are Saved.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Unfortunately for you, that doesn’t work. You can’t “accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and personal Savior” while at the same time completely ignoring any part of his Word that you personally don’t agree with.

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:58 PM

There was no justification for your slandering all believers. Your anger about the speaker might be justifiable, but to then attack all christians…really? You are better than that.

daesleeper on February 19, 2010 at 7:01 PM

BadgerHawk on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

My schtick is the same as it always was…on this thread, however, I’m gonna have to step out of that shell and get mad. This speaker was as bigoted as I’ve ever heard in public, there is no excuse for that.

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 7:01 PM

ernesto on February 19, 2010 at 6:47 PM

This is the worst post I have ever seen. Really ernesto, you take the cake. Not only do you spit in the eye of the religious believers, you mock their Faith?

What bothers you more, that they might be right, or you could be wrong? If their opinion means so little, or nothing to you than why are so touchy about Hell or Heaven?

Are you worried?

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM

notropis on February 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Of course there’s perversion everywhere. Let me be clearer, when such perversion is accepted as acceptable.
I’m a supporter of don’t ask, don’t tell.
If someone wants to engage in such despicable behavior they should keep it to themselves.

cjk on February 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM

We must be the point where history repeats as farce. Did this guy think his presentation style would help persuade people to conservative candidates?

dedalus on February 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM

So, what exactly did Jesus say about homosexuality?

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM

And ernesto, if you’re getting called out by Cindy (one of the most respected and respectful commenters here) you’ve definitely jumped the shark.

BadgerHawk on February 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM

What’s CC? I think it’s because the NRA is one of the smartest, most effective political orgs ever created. They ran rings around George Bush Sr., who they did not endorse in 1991, and then Clinton and the Dem Congress which came after.

aengus on February 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM

That guy is a jackass and deserved to be booed off. The liberal media is all of a sudden surprised that conservatives are not homophobic, what a bunch of doofuses.

cubachi on February 19, 2010 at 7:02 PM

What’s CC?

Concealed carry.

Slublog on February 19, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Rude is easy.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Yes. Not trying to get between you two, I just don’t see how the age thing is relevant.

entropent on February 19, 2010 at 7:03 PM