Video: CPAC boos speaker for condemning invite to gay conservative group

posted at 6:05 pm on February 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Greg Hengler, a clip that’s not as surprising as it may at first seem. The One’s agenda has vaulted fiscal conservatism to the top of the list of right-wing priorities; with even Darth Cheney sanguine about gay marriage, social issues simply don’t have the same bite that they used to. In fact, I’m curious to know if Ed’s gotten the same vibe at the convention that Time magazine’s getting — namely, thanks to the GOP’s tilt towards libertarianism, that the big tent is a little bigger this year than it used to be.

While I was flipping through the autobiography, a woman approached the booth. Catherine Sumner, it turned out, was part of GOProud, a group of openly gay Republicans and conservatives that for the first time is taking part in CPAC. “Is this your flyer?” Sumner demanded, waving the white and green pamphlet. Thus launched a debate about gays in the military that pretty much ended when the booth attendee told her that homosexuality is a sin and she’s going to hell.

“It’s insulting,” Sumner, 31, who edits a military magazine, said turning away. “Across the board the reaction to GOProud’s presence here has been positive, but then you have guys like this. Even Dick Cheney came out and says he supports us. Conservatives have to be more inclusive, they have to be.” In fact, just one group, Liberty University, boycotted CPAC over the inclusion of GOProud, though the Catholic crowd weren’t the only ones unnerved by their presence: one booth down from GOProud’s set up in the fourth row, those manning the National Organization for Marriage, which works to ban gay marriage, kept casting nervous – and slightly envious – glances at the somewhat larger crowd surrounding GOProud’s booth.

The tensions didn’t end there. Along the back wall 2004 World Poker Champion Greg Raymer stood waiting for a talk radio interview. “Focus on the Family considers poker immoral,” Raymer said, gesturing towards the Focus on the Family booth down an aisle. “They have no right to tell me what to do.” Raymer is at CPAC representing the Poker Players Alliance, which is lobbying to have a 2005 ban on Internet poker lifted – literally one of the last bills passed by the GOP before they lost control of Congress. “In the privacy of our own homes, consenting adults should be able to do whatever they want,” Raymer said. “Gambling is legal in America. They shouldn’t be mandating how we live. If they consider it a sin, they shouldn’t do it. But don’t tell me I can’t do it.”

Ed wrote a solid post supporting GOProud’s participation back before Christmas. Read that as prep for the clip.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 14

Wow.

ParisParamus on February 19, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Wow. Some chutzpah.

He apparently talks the talk and walks the walk.

Corky on February 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Not to suggest many people reading this need to be convinced, but social issues, if they should be issues as all, should be local and/or private. We have a country, society, and culture to save from state-ism, bankruptcy, and stupidity.

ParisParamus on February 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Hah! Awesome. Bet he wasn’t expecting that.

SDnocoen on February 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

He said he “condemn(ed) CPAC for including GOProud as sponsor.”

He condemned the sponsorship of a homosexual activist goruup.

He didn’t say he condemned homosexuals, all of that Leftwing now-being-reinterpreted, he said what he said as I jsut quoted it, first sentence above.

I agree with him.

Lourdes on February 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Interesting,anyone else getting Gay Asian Singles
ad,below the video?

canopfor on February 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Guy also got a lot of very loud applause but that fact’s being quickly suppressed.

Lourdes on February 19, 2010 at 6:13 PM

social issues simply don’t have the same bite that they used to

Yep, but this isn’t something that’s happened only this year but very gradually over time. All-around conservatives like William Buckley have been replaced by straight capitalists such as Rush Limbaugh, who is just a popular version of Ludwig von Mises and Adam Smith. Conservatism simply means capitalism to a lot of people now.

aengus on February 19, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I saw this, it was a bit shocking in it stridency and the reaction it received. I think even people who think the gay life style is wrong have people in their lives that they are not willing to be estranged from.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Doesn’t matter what side of the issue you stand on, that guy’s an arrogant douche.

lowandslow on February 19, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Wow – CPAC audience …. as a hetero – I LOVE YOU GUYS

Send that jack-off to the showers.

jake-the-goose on February 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I’m sure MSNBC will have the booing edited out.

What a jerk that guy is.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I feel instant antipathy to anyone who uses the expression “bring it” five times in a one-minute presentation.

rrpjr on February 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Well, he isn’t lacking passion or conviction. But I think there’s the matter of winning that supersedes anything else now, given our current admin.

Coronagold on February 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Allah. When are you going to come out?

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Good for that crowd, drowning this tool out.

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM

<blockquoteWow. Some chutzpah.

He apparently talks the talk and walks the walk.

Corky on February 19, 2010 at 6:11 PM
That’s not talking the talk or walking the walk, that’s being a douche, plain an simple.

Complete7 on February 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM

That was some presentation by the California YAF spokesperson. What is their mission again?

daesleeper on February 19, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Well, that’s encouraging. Maybe the socons are starting to lose their death grip on the Republican party.

entropent on February 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Get bent, Sorba.

Repurblican on February 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM

He condemned the sponsorship of a homosexual activist goruup.

I agree with him.

Lourdes on February 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Why?

anuts on February 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Not to mention, I love when some people say “you’re going to hell!”, when just saying that is in direct violation of scripture.

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Send that jack-off to the showers.

jake-the-goose on February 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Wait, gender neutral showers or showers-showers? /

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Dang.

citrus on February 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Knew we would hear from Jetboy within two minutes.

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

That guy is a dolt… is he promoting an idea that somehow conservatives are supposed to shun gays and lesbians? is he living in the middle ages or something? look, you can accept or not accept the lifestyle of gays and lesbians, but to suggest that conservatives should shun or ban them is stupid… just as stupid as the gay and lesbian nazis that attack religious people who don’t agree with their lifestyle…
I would be embarrassed for conservatives if they didn’t boo this dolt… he is a narrow minded person in this situation, did you see just how angry he was? looked like the gay and lesbian nazis… is this where we want to be, with this guy?

PhilipJames on February 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Accepting the gay endorsement is nothing more than further evidence of moral bankruptcy, something the GOP should run away from, while the rest of the country runs toward it, lead by Obama. He spoke his mind, and he didn’t cow-tow to go-along-to-get-along pseudocons that are social liberals. I don’t ‘boo’ him, I do that to those that castigate him for walking the talk; something many of you don’t have the courage to do.

Virus-X on February 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

There are many teh gays who are conservative. I would even wager a near 40% of gay men vote Republican.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on February 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

He doesn`t seem to tolerant!!

canopfor on February 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Lourdes on February 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

I am sure Sorba was equally offended that noted gay marriage supporter Dick Cheney was allowed to speak as well. Or any of the other groups who are either for or apathetic toward marriage equality.

Somehow I doubt it.

It's Vintage, Duh on February 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

He condemned the sponsorship of a homosexual activist goruup.

I agree with him.

Lourdes on February 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Even when it’s conservative gays?

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Makes me proud to be a conservative. Gay rights is a conservative position. I’m glad to see mainstream conservatives are starting to see it my way.

Anonymous Finch on February 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM

foolishness, he deserved to get booed for more then one reason.

rob verdi on February 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM

F**king creep.

That’s really the way to win elections, jackass. A good segment of the gay population agrees with conservatives on a lot of issues, and you’re encouraging them to go to the other side over their position on a hotly debated issue that divides even conservatives.

Jackass. Get Jason Mattera up there to do some damage control.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM

It was so…

…. campy!

Seven Percent Solution on February 19, 2010 at 6:20 PM

aenghus-Conservatism simply means capitalism to a lot of people now.

Sounds good to me.

rob verdi on February 19, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Yeah, “gay issues” are hardly something we should gamble the future of our entire country on. If you think Gays are going to burn in hell, let God take care of it. We have a country to save and we need everyone we can get.

Having said that, if you are Gay, yet are worried about what the democrats are trying to do to this country….try and live a day without acting like you are wearing a slave collar because some people have a bad opinion of your lifestyle. I’d bet that eventually we can all get along fairly well.

Mord on February 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Even when it’s conservative gays?

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

So are you okay with conservative Nazis? Not that I’m comparing the two, but are you saying it’s okay to sell out on your morals if they are paying cash and belong to your own Party?

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

What a total jerk.

bridgetown on February 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

lowandslow on February 19, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I suspect he must have received some crap before that we did not see. I don’t think he acted that way for nothing.

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM

How so?

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Did Time lay off all of its fact-checkers? Just what does Liberty U have to do with Catholicism?

For the record: “Liberty University is the largest and fastest growing Christian Evangelical university in the world.”

I guess all of those Christians look alike to reporters.

obladioblada on February 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

How so?

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

God, please don’t get him started. He’s going to contribute 100 comments to this thread, all by himself.

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM

When they find the Gay gene I suspect more gays will become Cons. Talk about a bonanza for the abortion industry.

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM

The social cons need to stop telling other people what to do.

p0s3r on February 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Yeah, who cares if two gay guys want to get together, start a family by buying eggs(pre-screened for any genetic defects and maybe even hair color too) picked out of a catalog… and then have them implanted in some poor indian surrogate across the world… as long as there’s wuv…

That’s the ultimate moral hazard… not bank bailouts… and most morons aren’t going to realize it before it’s too late…

I’m completely out of step with society… I’m getting more socially conservative and less fiscally(though not really)….

ninjapirate on February 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Godwin’s law winner.

There goes the neighborhood.

entropent on February 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM

The social cons need to stop telling other people what to do.

p0s3r on February 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM

You mean like you just did?

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Someone forward this video to Meghan McCain. Maybe that’ll get her to back off her claim that the GOP is too socially conservative.

Doughboy on February 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM

He condemned the sponsorship of a homosexual activist goruup.

I agree with him.

Lourdes on February 19, 2010 at 6:12 PM

What? Why?

bridgetown on February 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM

So are you okay with conservative Nazis? Not that I’m comparing the two…

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Yes, you are.

You and Sorba must be butt buddies.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM

popcorn

El_Terrible on February 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM

He’s going to contribute 100 comments to this thread, all by himself.

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I suspect I will get the tired “those without sin” response. The fact is that we are supposed to stand up for right and wrong. I don’t condemn people and care little about with whom someone sleeps but others have real concerns that have good arguments behind them.

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I am a Christian. Here is my thought on this:

Gays pay taxes too. Gays want the personal destruction of this Administration to halt. Gays vote.

I’m All for Gay Conservatives who join the fight against Obama.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

What the He** do your “morals” have to do with someone else’s sexual orientation? And no…you cannot compare Nazis to conservatives, or Nazis to gays.

How so?

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Matthew 7:1-5

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM

We need stop thinking or caring about other peoples’ sex lives, be they homo or hetero.

Just take it all TOTALLY out of the conversation.

bridgetown on February 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM

The social cons need to stop telling other people what to do.

p0s3r on February 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM

They need to admit that their desire to use government to force people to live the way they want is liberal, and stop tarnishing the conservative brand.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Oh. Right. Because you say so. I forgot.

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Jackass. “Bring it.” Go to hell.

rrpjr on February 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Where do guys stand on Obamasexuals?

El_Terrible on February 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM

“Fiscal Conservatism” is the glue that holds all conservative groups together. Virtually every “conservative” group is founded in a free-market, small-government platform. In this time of crisis, fundamental fiscal conservatism should be the primary focus of all conservative groups. Most other issues are simply not relevant to voters right now.

Troy Rasmussen on February 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM

The social cons need to stop telling other people what to do.

p0s3r on February 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM

You mean like you just did?

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Weird how that works.

You and Sorba must be butt buddies.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Go share your sordid fantasies with DKOS or the DU.

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM

but are you saying it’s okay to sell out on your morals

We should start pushing for a law making adultery illegal, as well. Maybe some mandated jail time? Morals uber alles.

John9400 on February 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Matthew 7:1-5

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Do explain.

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 6:28 PM

You and Sorba must be butt buddies.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM

MadisonConservative:B*tt Buddies,

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO My Freaggin Ears!

canopfor on February 19, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Young Americans for Freedom? Really?

Daveyardbird on February 19, 2010 at 6:28 PM

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I’m already a pro-life gay conservative.

myrenovations on February 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Virus-X on February 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

WHAMMY!

Nicely Done, Sir(or Madam). :-)

David2.0 on February 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I’m curious, sans homosexuality and abortion, what remains of “social issues”?

Weight of Glory on February 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Irony is lost on you? I’m shocked.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:30 PM

I’m already a pro-life gay conservative.

myrenovations on February 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I am glad you are. I am also glad that many voices can be heard here and on the “right ” side.

CWforFreedom on February 19, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Sweet.

Aquateen Hungerforce on February 19, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Glad to see that reaction from the crowd. Just because many conservatives differ from homosexuals on one issue is no reason to exclude them.

Sir Corky on February 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Booooo! Ya dumb jock bigot.

Grow Fins on February 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM

bridgetown on February 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I’ll stop caring when they stop trying to force it upon my children. I’ll stop caring when they stop telling us we HAVE to accept it as normal. I’ll stop caring when they stop dictating to us what we’re allowed to think is filthy.

Until they stop telling us what we must do, I’ll continue to care. The fact is, I don’t really give a rat’s a$$ what they do in their own private lives and I don’t really care that they were at CPAC. But I do care that they spend their entire lives attempting to convince everyone else that it’s normal. It’s not, and even a sliver of common sense dictates that much. And I do care that any person daring to suggest that it’s not normal, or that they don’t agree with them, is immediately attacked and called names.

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Guy’s a freakin’ jerk.

ladyingray on February 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Good for you Ryan!

If CPAC wants to keep it’s conservative credentials it better start sticking to conservative values. Allowing sexual perverts to take over a meeting and shout down a conservative speaking at a CONSERVATIVE convention is outrageous!

I have no problem with homosexuals who want to join the conservative movement, none, zero, nada – but, I have big problems when they come in to force their perversion on me. Nope, not gonna happen, and that is exactly what Ryan was saying.

If those who call themselves conservative begin to embrace perversion for the sake of maintaining some misguided ideal of “tolerance.” Then we need a new movement to distinguish those of us who are conservative, in all areas, from those who want to pick and choose according to their relativistic value system.

I will never stop fighting this radical movement to overthrow the values of millions of Americans for the sake of a pathetic view that sodomy should be redefined as “normal.” It is not normal, it will never be normal, and I don’t care if Ronald Reagan, John Wayne, and Bill Buckley rose from the dead and told me it’s normal – the God of the Bible calls it a perversion of the created order He designed for man and woman, and that’s good enough for me.

If CPAC and the GOP begin to cave on this issue, you can bet money on it, they will cave on others (Abortion, homosexual “marriage,” etc.). Eventually, they will look no different than the Libertarian Party of Ross Perot.

And as far as I am concerned Libertarians are a-moral, and liberals are immoral. I will continue to stand with conservatives, i.e., those who truly stand for conservative values – all of them.

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Yeah, this guy is absolutely correct.

The problem isn’t Big Government being a Nanny, it’s only that we have the wrong Nanny.

Don’t regulate businesses into the ground, but do ban all online gambling. Don’t regulate my work, union choice, or finances; but do regulate my relationships. Don’t bailout car companies, instead regulate morality.

I’m sure this is what the Tea Parties and such have been about; getting a new nanny to run our lives; not to end the nanny state.

/I’ve got to look into maybe buying that sarcasm indicator thing at some point.

Seriously, not everything legal is good, not everything bad should be illegal. And trying to legislate that through politics instead of society is a disaster waiting to happen.

gekkobear on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I’m curious, sans homosexuality and abortion, what remains of “social issues”?

Weight of Glory on February 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Death penalty. Gun control. Racial issues. Drug laws. Obscenity laws. School vouchers. Border enforcement/amnesty used to be a social issue, but it’s transformed into a national security issue as well.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

What Ryan Sorba said was correct and courageous.
He is a new hero as far as I’m concerned and I only wish there were more courageous conservatives who are willing to speak out on behalf of morality and other social issues. Conservatism ain’t just about government spending and over reaching violations of “freedom.”

It is about taking our country back from liberals who flaunt homosexuality and teach our children that such behavior is normal and acceptable. Shame!

TBenton on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

F**king creep.

That’s really the way to win elections, jackass.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM

What does a man gain by being elected, if he loses his soul in the process?

I wasn’t aware that winning in 2010 and 2012 was conditional on Republicans embracing homosexuality.

Count me out.

David2.0 on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I’m curious, sans homosexuality and abortion, what remains of “social issues”?

Weight of Glory on February 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I think that figuring out a way to put the American family back together is rather important. It’s also a fiscally conservative issue.

myrenovations on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Booooo! Ya dumb jock bigot.

Grow Fins on February 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Save this one Fins, for the first time ever, we agree.

rukiddingme on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Get liberals ou of my wallet and conservatives out of my bedroom.

rickyricardo on February 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I thought it was only the Left that had special interest groups.

OldEnglish on February 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM

J

etBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Thats correct.
Judge not ect.ect.

Amadeus on February 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Joe Pyne on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

You, sir, most certainly do not stand with conservatives!

Or for conservative values. Grow up already.

JetBoy on February 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Irony is lost on you? I’m shocked.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Reality is lost on you. I’m shocked.

Gregor on February 19, 2010 at 6:35 PM

If they already let gays into CPAC, what’s next? Birchers?

Emperor Norton on February 19, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Yeah, this guy is absolutely correct.

/I’ve got to look into maybe buying that sarcasm indicator thing at some point.

gekkobear on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

*tips hat*

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Booooo! Ya dumb jock bigot.

Grow Fins on February 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Grow Fins:Don`t you have a date with a frisky Lamprey!!

canopfor on February 19, 2010 at 6:36 PM

He should have kept his mouth shut. I do not agree with the way he arrogantly represented himself. It gives conservatives a bad name. Not cool.

Winebabe on February 19, 2010 at 6:36 PM

What does a man gain by being elected, if he loses his soul in the process?

Count me out.

David2.0 on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

That is some serious hyperbole.

anuts on February 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Booooo! Ya dumb jock bigot.

Grow Fins on February 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM

I agree with Fins. A Pig just flew by my office window.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Insulting the group that gave you a platform to speak.

Classy.

Slublog on February 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I agree with Fins. A Pig just flew by my office window.

portlandon on February 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM

See what anti-gay attitudes have wrought?

REPENT.

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Social issues take a back seat to economics and national security. The Founding Fathers put the issue of slavery on hold to defeat the British and build a nation. Our nation is on the edge of fiscal destruction. Worrying about important social issues such as gay marriage, gays in the military, even the genocide that is abortion must not take precedence over the economy. What good does a law against abortion do when we’re all dying from famine and anarchy?

chicagojedi on February 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Booooo! Ya dumb jock bigot.

Grow Fins on February 19, 2010 at 6:32 PM

There is no need to cast aspersions on jocks.

myrenovations on February 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM

MadisonConservative on February 19, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Thanks MC. That’s a great list. I’ve just notice that over the years whenever someone drops the term “social issues” it’s more or less shorthand for gay marriage and abortion. So I just wanted to get a sense about what others could define as a “social issue” in order to see if there really is that big of a division between “social cons” and “fiscal cons/libertarians”.

Weight of Glory on February 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM

anuts on February 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM

In what way is treating gays with the same dignity and respect social conservatives demand for themselves “losing one’s soul?”

entropent on February 19, 2010 at 6:39 PM