Joe Sestak: The White House offered me a job in return for dropping my challenge to Specter

posted at 2:57 pm on February 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

A “high-ranking” job too, which, given Sestak’s previous career as an admiral, has everyone thinking it must have been Secretary of the Navy. I’m truly shocked — not that The One would try something like this, as offering jobs to people to clear his political path is part of his M.O. Rather, I’m shocked that Sestak would mention it publicly. In the unlikely event that he wins the Senate seat, how will the White House be able to work with him after this?

A White House spokesman this morning strongly denied an offer had been made to Sestak. Before the spokesman issued the denial, a senior Pennsylvania Democrat said Sestak’s account was met with anger by White House officials yesterday.

After yesterday’s taping, Sestak said he recalled the White House offer coming in July, as he was preparing to formally announce his Senate candidacy in August. He declined to identify who spoke to him or the job under discussion. Sestak also would not say whether the person who approached him worked for the administration or was an intermediary for the offer.

“I’m not going to say who or how and what was offered,” Sestak said in an interview. “I don’t feel it’s appropriate to go beyond what I said,” because the conversation was confidential.

Sestak, 58, a retired Navy admiral, has said that some Pennsylvania Democratic leaders have tried to entice him to drop his campaign with promises of support for other offices in the future. He also has said that Sen. Robert Menendez of New Jersey, chairman of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, urged him to run when Specter was still a Republican, then tried to force him out after Specter switched parties.

Toomey’s campaign responded by taking the easy lay-up: “It’s just like Arlen Specter to get an insider Washington deal to try to save his political career.” And that’s the thing — I think this hurts Specter a lot more than it does Obama. The left may grumble about The One favoring a RINO/DINO over a more authentically liberal candidate, but (a) everyone already assumes that maneuvering like this goes on behind the scenes and (b) Specter has a better shot of holding the seat against Toomey than Sestak, which is no small virtue in a year where they’re looking at a red wave. But for Specter the optics are horrible. First he switches parties for no grander reason than to save his own ass by avoiding a primary against Toomey, now he’s got Captain B+ — whose approval rating in Pennsylvania is 44/55 — trying to save his ass for him a second time by buying off, of all things, a retired admiral. Good luck in November, chump. What could go wrong?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Since he’s an admiral is it now—- squid, pro quo?

ted c on February 19, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Iced tea everywhere~thanks, this is a banner day.

HornetSting on February 19, 2010 at 4:25 PM

This administration is like watching a marathon of the Three Stooges. It would at least be funny with foley slap and poke effects.

leftnomore on February 19, 2010 at 4:27 PM

not a fan of Sestak. Just sayin…

Nozzle on February 19, 2010 at 3:56 PM

i was referring to the 67 different civillian staffers Sestak has hired since taking office in the House in 07. the three other PA dems have averaged 27 total staff members over that time. the scuttlebutt is that Joe works em 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, no holidays.

DrW on February 19, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Gee how does Blago feel about this? given he is pretty much on trial for doing the same thing….

ginaswo on February 19, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I wish more Democrats would tell us the deals they have been offered to sell us down the river.

I don’t care why they tell us… I just wish we had a transparent government… where have I heard that before?

I am so disgusted with Democrats. I have tried all my life to believe they were patriot Americans. But they aren’t. They undermine the election system everywhere.

I guess this is all part of the Alinsky rules.

They are going to ram that stupid bill that everyone hates through. They have tried for 100 years to get this and Americans reject it everytime. Yet they just bring it back.

I’d vote for anyone who pledge to repeal it if the got elected.

I wonder if Obama would sign the repeal. Probably not.

petunia on February 19, 2010 at 4:49 PM

No need to worry about who can work with whom if Sestak wins. These wounds heal quickly in politics, where no one could care less about the other at the outset in any case, and mutual advantage will have them glad-handing and butt-slapping when the need arises…AFTER he wins, which is not too likely.

It’s a play on Sestak’s part in the game to get himself elected, and as Michael Corleaone says when Tessio throws in with Barzini: “It’s the smart play.”

But we all know what happened to Tessio.

curved space on February 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM

A giant patch with an ear of corn~I like Boy Scouts~I’d give them a tip for my delivery of corny goodness.

HornetSting on February 19, 2010 at 4:24 PM

HornetSting: Haha:)

canopfor on February 19, 2010 at 4:52 PM

If you can’t beat ‘em… BUY ‘em!!!

n0doz on February 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Obama, seller of Senate seats …

One thing for sure, you will never associate character with Obama.

tarpon on February 19, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Karma, baby, KARMA!

GarandFan on February 19, 2010 at 6:04 PM

leftnomore on February 19, 2010 at 4:27 PM

It would be Hilarious if these damn fools weren’t running the effing country! That being said – Pass the popcorn!!!

huskerdiva on February 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Nothing helps our nation more than a no-holds-barred cage match involving Specter, Sestak, and The Precedent. And to have Sestak and The Precedent directly contradicting each other is the cherry on top.

Three of the slimiest characters in Washington going after each other … Mmmmmmm mmmmmmm mmmmmm

neurosculptor on February 19, 2010 at 6:31 PM

I’m shocked that Sestak would mention it publicly.

Obviously he’s just getting out in front of impending leaks to deflect any potential blowback on his integrity. Not shocking at all.

Purple Avenger on February 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Change? I dunna think this word means what you think it means.

atadOFF on February 19, 2010 at 7:58 PM

I wish the GOP had been smart enough to make this deal to Scozzifava.

Speedwagon82 on February 19, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Purple Avenger on February 19, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Also a very good way to sling mud on Team Obama. Two birds with one stone.

Dark-Star on February 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM

If Sestak was nominated to the Cabinet, would Snarlin’ Arlen vote to confirm him?

Steve Z on February 19, 2010 at 11:22 PM

For Barack Obama the road less traveled is the road of actual governing. For him it is all about micro-managing the political stage; hand-picking the players, and giving back-stage passes to only non-critics of the media, while blowing the budget.

No wonder it took Obama until December 2009 (11 months in office) to hold a JOBS Summit. There aren’t enough hours in the day to work on the economy.

TN Mom on February 20, 2010 at 12:05 AM

But we all know what happened to Tessio.

curved space on February 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM

He ends up hawking Snickers with Betty White in a 2010 Super Bowl commercial?

scituate_tgr on February 20, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I’d like to see more Dems like Sestak out there instead of the Specter variant.

roy_batty on February 20, 2010 at 10:50 AM