Welcome to the new Hot Air!

posted at 10:12 am on February 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday was a travel day for me, so I missed a lot of the commentary on the acquisition of Hot Air by Salem Communications, the conservative radio network that features such luminaries as my friend and mentor Hugh Hewitt, Dennis Prager, and Michael Medved, and who bought Townhall from the Heritage Foundation several years ago.  The commentary ranged from the objective, in Andy Barr’s straightforward reporting at Politico, to the hysterical at The Atlantic Wire, where Max Fisher described our comment thread as “turn[ing] ugly” after someone remarked that selling Hot Air was like “Dylan going electric,” and someone else replied “Yeah, electric accordion.”  (I laughed out loud when I read that.)  I’ve seen more pungent remarks in humpbot threads; I’m not sure what was ugly about normal concerns that arise with any acquisition.  I’ve been through a few of them in my previous career, and change is universally unsettling.

If readers are unsettled, you can imagine how Allahpundit and I felt when we heard about the potential sale. After all, we provide almost all of the content for the site, and it’s not exactly a secret that we occasionally criticize the Right as well as the Left, and sometimes the center, too.  We offer offbeat content from time to time that may not be the favorite of a network that bases itself on conservative and Christian themes.  The questions being asked in the comments sections are the same that we brought to our meetings in Colorado Springs earlier this month.

What I can tell you is that Salem bought Hot Air because, if you’ll pardon a Sally Field moment here, they like us — they really, really like us.  After all, they aren’t going to spend a boatload of cash (and no, I don’t have any idea what kind of boatload that might be) just to turn Hot Air into something completely different.  If they wanted something completely different, they could have started something fresh with a lot less cost and competed against us instead.

When we negotiated our new relationships with Salem, both of us stressed the need to have the same editorial control and direction for Hot Air.  Not surprisingly, Salem readily agreed.  Now, they still own the business and can intervene when they see fit — just as Michelle could, but rarely if ever did — but they know us and our editorial choices.  We clarified the process and the direction to our satisfaction.  If we weren’t satisfied that we remained in position to maintain the current direction of Hot Air, neither of us would have stuck around.  We did, and we’ll be around for a while, too.

That doesn’t mean there won’t be changes, of course, but most of those will be to broaden our impact and reach.  Salem has a tremendous presence with its radio hosts, for instance, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see some synergy applied in that direction.  Townhall, now our sister site, will remain separate from Hot Air, but we’ll probably have some opportunities to participate more often in the magazine in the future.  I’m very excited about the potential for growth at Hot Air by being a part of the Salem family.

But that being said, I’m sad to leave Michelle Malkin’s family after two wonderful years at Hot Air.  I don’t think I’m revealing any secrets by telling readers what a caring, sweet, and big-hearted person Michelle is.   Working with her and her husband Jesse (who carried the weight of technical and human-resource management like a champ) has been the best professional situation of my life.  We both told the Salem execs when we first met with them that they had very large shoes to fill, but as great as they’ve been, it will never be quite the same.  Now we get to focus on being friends with the Malkins, and thanks to their many kindnesses over the past two years, we hope that lasts much longer.

For the best takes on the sale, read James Joyner and Jazz Shaw.  Jazz’ conclusion is spot-on:

So now a new owner will pay the bills at Hot Air. It sounds, from what I’ve found out, like a good deal for all concerned thus far. Ed and AP will retain their platform and possibly even gain some new exposure options in a large network. Malkin gets rid of a well loved but time consuming project which she branded as a leading conservative voice. Salem picks up another outlet which is widely read on the Right side of the aisle without dictating the tone. (If they wanted to do that they could have simply offered Ed and AP a column at Town Hall.)

Don’t read too much into this. Businesses change hands all the time and the names on ownership papers and paychecks shift every year across the land. Hot Air will remain and you can all be the judges as to whether or not the quality remains at the current level. I for one have no doubt but it will.

It’s going to be a fun journey, that much I can promise.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Having trouble getting pages to open here at the new HA

james23 on February 18, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Congrats Ed and AP! I will say I still miss Brian though, and especially VENT!! I wonder if TH will try to revive the show?

Califemme on February 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM

doufree on February 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM

DebonAir

ya2daup on February 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Glad to hear that Ed will be on HH’s show. Ed, please, dump the segments with that lame reporter from Politico. that makes for Must Turn Off radio.

james23 on February 18, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Get bigger and better but don’t change a thing as far as writing style and story variety. I check in all day for the changing headline stories.

emerson7 on February 18, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Salem is a publicly traded company currently selling at $4.92 a share. We will see what a boatload of cash is when they publish their 1st quarter financial reports.

Congratulation to Michelle, but I wonder what other surprises she has for us? Does she own any other domain names she is keeping under wraps? Has she been in negotiations with Comcast about doing a show at 8:00PM on MSNBC?

These are interesting times we live in.

meci on February 18, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Congrats to all involved here and the best of luck. Thank you Michelle and Jesse for making Ed and Allah such a great investment in the making of this top notch site. Because this site is so successful, I hope the folks at Salem understand the golden rule—-”if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

Ed, I’m going to take a “wait and see” attitude on all of this news. There are a lot of questions I have that need time to be answered. Just please know that if they start turning HA into a flashing lights, carnival of advertising site, I’ll just mosey along.

With all due respect, Ed Morrissey IS HotAir. Without him it would fold up like a tent in a hurricane.
Best of luck!

GoldenEagle4444 on February 18, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Also with all due respect, GE4′s, you’re off the track on this one. I followed Ed over here from Captain’s Quarters because he is “one of the best” at getting the story right while inviting comment. But this site would not be rated in the top ten if not for both Ed and Allahpundit.

How do you think Amos would have done without Andy? Carson without McMahon, Abbott without Costello, the Road Runner without Wile E. Coyote???? But you get my drift. The point is neither Ed nor Allah would make this site as prolific as it is alone. They make a great team. Michelle knew this, and obviously, so does the folks at Salem Communications.

Rovin on February 18, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I won’t feel safe till @allahpundit tweets something reckless.

SarahW on February 18, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I wish you all the best of good fortune.

As a Londoner I simply cannot trust the BBC for full let alone objective news on America – in spite of their $5 billion annual budget. Instead I turn to HotAir, Michelle’s site, PowerLine, and the lists of articles at RealClearPolitics and TownHall. (Previously Captain’s Quarters was on my must-check-every-day list.)

If more people in the US had accessed the REAL info at all your sites, the US would not have been in the pickle it is in now under The One + Reid + Pelosi.

Anyway -

JohninLondon on February 18, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Many of us miss getalife and simplesimon.

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Sure, in the same sense anyone misses persistent rectal itch …

ya2daup on February 18, 2010 at 12:09 PM

We’ll see what happens. Right now everybody is in *honeymoon* mode. Money talks..you know what walks.

abobo on February 18, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Will Ed and AP still have control of the Ban Hammer?
Guest1.1 on February 18, 2010 at 11:36 AM

You missed the press release:
With the purchase of HotAir by Salem, the Ban Hammer will be retired in favor of its replacement, the Omega 13 device …

ya2daup on February 18, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Sure, in the same sense anyone misses persistent rectal itch …

ya2daup on February 18, 2010 at 12:09 PM

You know I’m going to have to steal that, don’t you…?

Seven Percent Solution on February 18, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Congrats, Hot Air! Maybe now AP will “reveal” himself. We can wish, can’t we?

pullingmyhairout on February 18, 2010 at 12:13 PM

What happened…?

Seven Percent Solution on February 18, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Congrats to Ed and Allah…and to all of us! Is it too early for a toast?

becki51758 on February 18, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Will HotAir become like Townhall?

Or, is HotAir the big dog, and TownHall will become like HotAir?

Let the games begin.

faraway on February 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM

So, who’s the New Boss over at Salem?

Christien on February 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Test…

Karmi on February 18, 2010 at 12:14 PM

In case things go south… we already are working on HA Rendezvous sites :)
MeatHeadinCA on February 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM

That’s a great idea! However, when I visited the site everything was in French. The page said, “Hot Air Rendezvous Point est sur Facebook” and you are listed as “Meaty (créateur)” lol I don’t what has gotten into my ‘ordinateur’ (computer)

Constance on February 18, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I’m so resistant to change, I even miss the cartoon of the guy with the big forearms yapping into the camcorder that used to be above HotAir’s logo.

But I’m happy for Ed, Allah and Michelle, and will continue to visit, read and occasionally comment. Hopefully the changes will be good ones (or at least tolerable ones).

Congrats again!

DrAllecon on February 18, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Also, Michelle is the best! You, Michelle, have done so much to help the conservative cause and I send you and your family all good wishes for the future.

I agree that the Hot Air website is one of the best designed and well-run blogsites on the internet.

Constance on February 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Very big shoes to fill, indeed. Michelle’s done a great job with this site.

Ryan Anthony on February 18, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Congrats to all.

I noticed that Slub and Karl are also posting, maybe to help out, but that would be a great welcome!

Blogging isn’t easy nor does everyone agree on everything. Ed, Allah, MM and other do a great job. I just hope it doesn’t change to much.

upinak on February 18, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Y’all don’t forget about good ‘ol Bryan Preston that helped start this site too. I think he’s helping run the GOP here in Texas now.

DanMan on February 18, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Good news all around, as the New Media takes another step forward! The nation will benefit as well.

T J Green on February 18, 2010 at 12:23 PM

DrAllecon on February 18, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Heart-ache! The header looked empty and I just connected the dots. I LOVE that image. What’s next??? It’s a slippery slope from here on out…

conservative pilgrim on February 18, 2010 at 12:24 PM

So HA is still based in MoCo, MD? Does “About” need updating?

Christien on February 18, 2010 at 12:24 PM

upinak can you answer a question for me? I have a buddy that swears since Sarah Palin quit as governor he cannot support her for that one reason alone. He insists she left Alaska constituents high and dry. I mention her reasons about the lawsuits and that she had a good Lt. gov. replacement that is getting her agenda done better than she could have given the circumstances. Can you shed some light?

DanMan on February 18, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Congrats to Ed and AP, MM is the best. Life is all about change, so let’s keep on rolling.

Libs still suck.

la.rt.wngr on February 18, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Yeah? Well I coulda sold my site too if I were intelligent, beautiful and gracious.

TheSitRep on February 18, 2010 at 12:31 PM

highhopes on February 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM

ROFLMAO! Gawd, you just crack me up! Good one!

As with everyone else, GRATS! I don’t post often, but I do read HA everyday as well as reading Michelle’s (she’s still gonna be the Boss) site.

sicoit on February 18, 2010 at 12:31 PM

And if you would like to discuss the merits of a thatched versus a tin roof, visit the site Obama jusy bought for his Kenyan brother at hutair.com.

(Actually, it was purchased as a potential back-up domain should HotAir.com go squishy. Hope it’s never needed…)

If Ed and AP get raises based on traffic, look for Palin and Creationism and the humpbot to remain popular avenues for reaction, trolling, and general hilarity and dueling verbosity.

Best of luck!

profitsbeard on February 18, 2010 at 12:33 PM

My collie says:

I think it’s GREAT that HotAir is owned by Salem now. They BURN witches, ya’ know.

Collie, it’s not THAT Salem.

My collie says:

Could we burn some witches anyway?

Maybe. Who’d ya’ have in mind?

CyberCipher on February 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Anyone else see the format change then go back to normal then change again, only to go back to normal…?

Seven Percent Solution on February 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM

upinak on February 18, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Thanks, but Slu and I were just filling in to help out bc of yesterday’s schedule, with Ed being in transit to CPAC and AP having plans for once.

Karl on February 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I noticed when I went to Townhall.com last night, that Michelle’s picture was on the masthead, and a mention of her columns (though no back columns were available) so it sounds like there might be a global relationship between Michelle and Salem/Townhall as well…

phreshone on February 18, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Ed, congratulations on becoming the go-to guy for Limbaugh and for turning Hot Air into the success it is today. Of course Allahpundit is very instrumental to this site. I disagree with both of you from time to time but I really do respect you both for the hard work that you do here. You and AP are the perfect harmony/Tao of the blogosphere.

I must also say that Michelle will be sorely missed as the presence behind Hot Air. I am happy for her and I hope she really got a great deal on the sell.

carbon_footprint on February 18, 2010 at 12:38 PM

What I can tell you is that Salem bought Hot Air because, if you’ll pardon a Sally Field moment here, they like us — they really, really like us. After all, they aren’t going to spend a boatload of cash (and no, I don’t have any idea what kind of boatload that might be) just to turn Hot Air into something completely different.

Oh, hell, yes they would. If some market research bozo convinced them that they could do this and that here and there, and still keep their audience, you guys should be polishing your resumes right now. Yes, it would be foolish, VERY foolish. But it’s what’s done most of the time.

If I’m right (and I hope to the Almighty that I’m not), look for this site to look a little more like Townhall.com within 30 to 60 days.

You know what they’ll say: It’s just business.

manwithblackhat on February 18, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Like a mother Robin, Michelle has kicked her HotAir (Ed and AP) out of the nest to fly on their own.

Congrats, birdies! Fly like hell!

And what’s next for thee, mother Robin? Another brood soon, I hope.

petefrt on February 18, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I can hardly believe it has been two years since Ed came here. Time is really flying, which is a good thing under our present administration.

carbon_footprint on February 18, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Congrats Ed and AP. Congrats to Michelle I wish her all the best for her and her family. I hope she still pops in from time to time though just to say Hi.

Brat4life on February 18, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Ed, congratulations on becoming the go-to guy for Limbaugh

carbon_footprint on February 18, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Yes, another congrats on that too. It’s a biggie.

petefrt on February 18, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Uhmm, just curious, when you guys decide to run one of MM’s articles how will deal with the attribution thingy…ex-Boss?

Archimedes on February 18, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Congratulations to Michelle, Ed, and AP. I have been a reader from the beginning and a commentator almost as long. I am looking forward to seeing what the new Hot Air has in store for us. Let’s get going!

Mallard T. Drake on February 18, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Anyone have a link to the HA thread where the former Boss made the announcement? I’d like to read it.

Christien on February 18, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Congrats all! I second Johninlondon and raise an Adam Smith Institute over the Beeb any every day.

Cheers for doing what you do – hope you can keep doing it under new management!

ExPat on February 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM

The reason I never go to Townhall is the utterly insane complexity of their web site. They have a web master who thinks that he has to put every possible bell and whistle ever created into the web site. It boggles my browser and most of the time nothing works. It was a nightmare going there. I finally gave up. I hope that the same poison is not added to Hot Air.

scrubjay on February 18, 2010 at 12:51 PM

As long as the Humpbot hasn’t been banned I’m fine with the acquisition.

NTWR on February 18, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I don’t see that buying sites is necessarily indicative of where blogs are going.

This merger could mean that another blog really ends up being dominant.

Time will tell.

Townhall, right now, is truly clogged up with advertisements.

And it’s not at all technically competent.

So I view this sale as negative.

AnninCA on February 18, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Good luck.

eforhan on February 18, 2010 at 12:56 PM

AnninCA on February 18, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Well folks it didn’t take long to get our first pop-up ad. :)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I’m a little upset that this thread doesn’t arise to the deserving level of the HumpBot!! ;)

Will the HumpBot be retired forever?? Or will it be renamed the FarveBot??

PappaMac on February 18, 2010 at 1:01 PM

AnninCA on February 18, 2010 at 12:54 PM
Well folks it didn’t take long to get our first pop-up ad. :)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2010 at 12:56 PM

lmao!!! Too frikkin funny DS! I got tears from laughing.

Rovin on February 18, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I for one welcome our new corporate overlords!

I R A Darth Aggie on February 18, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Well folks it didn’t take long to get our first pop-up ad. :)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I make NO comment on the political commentary on Townhall. I did visit the site last night, given this news.

My computer immediately locked up, due to the pop-ups.

That’s frankly, a technical problem.

This new venture needs a great technical team. Complain about HP’s politics all you want, but it’s an excellent technical site.

AnninCA on February 18, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Business as usual, big sigh of relief!

jeanie on February 18, 2010 at 1:12 PM

I joined up on HotAir on Opening Day because of Michelle Malkin … remember HotAir TV? VENT? Bryan Preston?

Tony737 on February 18, 2010 at 1:15 PM

CyberCipher on February 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Grows Fins made me worship the dark one in the light of the full moon!

*swoons*

Laura in Maryland on February 18, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I can only hope that you and Allahpundit got huge raises along with a huge capital gain from the sale of your stock, if you sold your stock. It is nice to see someone prospering in this horrible economy. …………… Just keep everyone up to-date with what is really happening.

SC.Charlie on February 18, 2010 at 1:15 PM

*convulses*

Laura in Maryland on February 18, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Best of luck to you both.

lexhamfox on February 18, 2010 at 1:16 PM

*opens one eye to see if anyone is buying it*

Laura in Maryland on February 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM

I wouldn’t mind seeing AP in the bread line. He’s a hypocrite of the first order.

Read some of the absolute rot that appears on his posts and remember he threatened to ban me for referring to Zero’s blue lips.

Mr. Grump on February 18, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Mr. Grump on February 18, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I’m liking AP better and better all the time. Hmmm, wonder why?

Laura in Maryland on February 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I had been wondering about Michelle’s plans for HA would be. She rarely comes to the site and I perceive her politics to be a bit different than AP & Ed, more so of late. In fact, Ed has moved much more to the center since being with HA. I’m glad that Michelle was able to get some $$$ out of all her hard work and that HA can be mainstreamed. It’s a testament to her business acumen. Having said all this, I often disagree vehemently with both Ed and AP. Regardless, they do provide the best coverage of topics of political import AND comedy relief, sprinkled with just the right of sarcasm from AllahPundit, and Econ 101 for dummies from Ed, and NEVER interfere with my ability to criticism them handily that I wouldn’t walk away from the site no matter how many anti-Palin/Atheist/Huckabee-loving posts AP puts up.

Thank you for the years of insight and entertainment and congratulations to all for your successes.

Now, do we get to see the Salem/Hot Air handshake deal photo op? I’m curious if AllahPundit went there with one of those terrorist ski masks over his face.

Sultry Beauty on February 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Town Hall is one of the ugliest, most overcrowded. least well designed sites in the conservative blogosphere! I hope Salem will not ruin HotAir’s clean, user-friendly design.

American Elephant on February 18, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I’m liking AP better and better all the time. Hmmm, wonder why?

Laura in Maryland on February 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM

How is life under the bridge Laura? Or need I explain it to you?

Mr. Grump on February 18, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Good luck. By the way:

Hugh Hewitt, Dennis Prager, and Michael Medved

Considering that two out of three of these folks aren’t Christian, I think a Catholic and an atheist should be just fine….

calbear on February 18, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Ed– this is “Surprisingly Good” news for you. Perhaps you like it even better than Obama’s speech to the Muslims in Cairo.

leftnomore on February 18, 2010 at 1:32 PM

How is life under the bridge Laura? Or need I explain it to you?

Mr. Grump on February 18, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Not wishing unemployment for our resident beta-male doesn’t make me a troll. You must be new. Now go put on your pointy hat and stand in the corner.

Laura in Maryland on February 18, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Congrats! I hope things don’t change too much – this site gets me through the day!

Anna on February 18, 2010 at 1:33 PM

– and I will never let that one go, Ed! XO

leftnomore on February 18, 2010 at 1:33 PM

So when will Salem unmask The Mysterious AP? Can’t do many TV interviews under a hood.

leftnomore on February 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Congratulations to all. Hard work pays off.

molding_perception on February 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Could we burn some witches anyway?

CyberCipher on February 18, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Or bind them and throw them in the river….those that sink are innocent, or was it those that float? Well, burning is a sure fire way to solve the problem, right Collie?

Constance on February 18, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Thanks Ed for clearing up a lot of questions in my mind about your new direction. I was an avid reader of Captain’s Quarters although I did not post there. When you moved to HotAir, I eagerly followed and have enjoyed every minute of it. This place keeps me sane when the political world around us becomes insane.

I hope this blog remains a steadfast place for us conservative-minded folks to sit down, have a cup of java and express our thoughts. Just like many of our parents use to do at the local diner or coffee shop.

KickandSwimMom on February 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM

leftnomore on February 18, 2010 at 1:35 PM

They’ll be pimping him out in a paper bag…

Allah in person on TV!

Laura in Maryland on February 18, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Conrats Ed and AP! Townhall really does have some great writers and thinkers over there. Hugh Hewitt, Dennis Prager and Thomas Sowell come to mind. You will be in good company. However, I really would mourn the loss of Humpbot and Melting Bunny because someone at Salem thought it was offensive, or counter to their ideology. Also, does the banhammer get tougher than it was? Change can be good…

As long as it isn’t hopenchange. heh.

alohapundit on February 18, 2010 at 1:44 PM

Sellouts.

GW_SS-Delta on February 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM

That’s what I (selfishly) wanted to hear . . or ummm read.

- The Cat

P.S. Does this mean that TEMS will get a Townhall Radio slot?

Will the other TownHallers hook up a chat to their radio shows?

Will the Joker finally defeat Batman?

MirCat on February 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I’m very happy for you guys! However….PLEASE do not let them turn the aesthetics of Hot Air into that of Townhall!!! One of the main things I enjoy about Hot Air is that it is very easy to navigate. Townhall is ridiculously busy and overloaded with advertisements! While Townhall has good content, the website is simply too overwhelming, so I rarely visit. Please don’t let them do the same thing to Hot Air…

CheeksMagee on February 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM

My computer immediately locked up, due to the pop-ups.

That’s frankly, a technical problem.

AnninCA on February 18, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Ann, you missed that one.

Dire Straits on February 18, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Laura in Maryland on February 18, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Merely commenting on someone’s appearence doesn’t make me a racist either. FWIW, you and I are even.

Mr. Grump on February 18, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Thank you, Ed.
Why ruin something so great.
But, we need new trolls~these have become bloated and overfed.

HornetSting on February 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I just tried to clink on the Michael Yon story and it sent me to recovery.gov

what the heck HA!?!

MechEng5by5 on February 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Once again, congrats on your move up[?].

And for those with pop-up issues, I suggest this possible cure. I’ve been using it for 6+ years [and it has a 'free' version] and it works just fine.

CPT. Charles on February 18, 2010 at 2:13 PM

So when will GoDaddy buy LGF?

Salem, eh? A WITCH! BURN HER! Or smoke her. Kools are more popular though.

Coronagold on February 18, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Does Allah have to convert to Christianity?

lionheart on February 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM

American Elephant on February 18, 2010 at 1:23 PM

AMEN to that!

I used to go the Hugh Hewitt’s blog every day, however, once he hooked up with Townhall and their wretched site, I eventually stopped the daily visits. That has to be one of the most craptacular sites I have ever had the misfortune to visit. Too bad because a lot of the commentary is fine, it’s the site that sucks rotten eggs.

I hope you all made a ton of money on the sell-out and that they hire HotAir’s webmaster to give their site a badly needed makeover.

Lily on February 18, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Did Goldman Sachs do the deal…does this mean that you guys are now Wall Street fat cats that we all can rail against???

All I hope that the next aquistion for Salem is the New York Times…and then Ed can be Bill Keller

georgealbert on February 18, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Hey, maybe the truly crack HotAir tech staff can teach the imbeciles at Townhall how to let you sign in and stay on the page you came to see.

Worst.Website.On.Earth.

Jaibones on February 18, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Worst.Website.On.Earth.EVAH!

Jaibones on February 18, 2010 at 2:30 PM

FIFY ;)

Laura in Maryland on February 18, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Any chance for something like an upgrade to the blogging software that will allow for things like ratings and threaded comments?

TheUnrepentantGeek on February 18, 2010 at 2:49 PM

If they were to kick out ED and AP, I would follow them to a new website. That’s beauty of the internet.

However, just seems like a new owner. Please Note:

Salem if you treat this like Townhall, I’m leaving.

Oil Can on February 18, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Selling out, huh? Bummer. Well, at least someone is making some dough in this lovely economy. Site was never the same after Michelle stopped her vents anyway; now with the most of the commenters here turning it ever more into facebook lite, it’s hardly worth checking in anymore. Good luck Michelle, AP. It was nice while it lasted.

austinnelly on February 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I’m a bit sad about this, but I understand the reasons why the move was made. If this means that Michelle has more time to focus on family, writing, and speaking, all the better.

Please don’t overtinker with things here, Salem Communications. You have added two excellent writers to your payroll. Good luck to everyone involved.

CO2 Producer on February 18, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Meet the new boss… far less attractive than the old boss.

mankai on February 18, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Masses of congratulations to all…I have already emailed Michelle personally, but I just want to say to Allah and Ed (whom I’ve read for years…eh cap’n)the very best of luck and I’ll be reading you still.

sharinlite on February 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM