Welcome to the new Hot Air!

posted at 10:12 am on February 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday was a travel day for me, so I missed a lot of the commentary on the acquisition of Hot Air by Salem Communications, the conservative radio network that features such luminaries as my friend and mentor Hugh Hewitt, Dennis Prager, and Michael Medved, and who bought Townhall from the Heritage Foundation several years ago.  The commentary ranged from the objective, in Andy Barr’s straightforward reporting at Politico, to the hysterical at The Atlantic Wire, where Max Fisher described our comment thread as “turn[ing] ugly” after someone remarked that selling Hot Air was like “Dylan going electric,” and someone else replied “Yeah, electric accordion.”  (I laughed out loud when I read that.)  I’ve seen more pungent remarks in humpbot threads; I’m not sure what was ugly about normal concerns that arise with any acquisition.  I’ve been through a few of them in my previous career, and change is universally unsettling.

If readers are unsettled, you can imagine how Allahpundit and I felt when we heard about the potential sale. After all, we provide almost all of the content for the site, and it’s not exactly a secret that we occasionally criticize the Right as well as the Left, and sometimes the center, too.  We offer offbeat content from time to time that may not be the favorite of a network that bases itself on conservative and Christian themes.  The questions being asked in the comments sections are the same that we brought to our meetings in Colorado Springs earlier this month.

What I can tell you is that Salem bought Hot Air because, if you’ll pardon a Sally Field moment here, they like us — they really, really like us.  After all, they aren’t going to spend a boatload of cash (and no, I don’t have any idea what kind of boatload that might be) just to turn Hot Air into something completely different.  If they wanted something completely different, they could have started something fresh with a lot less cost and competed against us instead.

When we negotiated our new relationships with Salem, both of us stressed the need to have the same editorial control and direction for Hot Air.  Not surprisingly, Salem readily agreed.  Now, they still own the business and can intervene when they see fit — just as Michelle could, but rarely if ever did — but they know us and our editorial choices.  We clarified the process and the direction to our satisfaction.  If we weren’t satisfied that we remained in position to maintain the current direction of Hot Air, neither of us would have stuck around.  We did, and we’ll be around for a while, too.

That doesn’t mean there won’t be changes, of course, but most of those will be to broaden our impact and reach.  Salem has a tremendous presence with its radio hosts, for instance, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see some synergy applied in that direction.  Townhall, now our sister site, will remain separate from Hot Air, but we’ll probably have some opportunities to participate more often in the magazine in the future.  I’m very excited about the potential for growth at Hot Air by being a part of the Salem family.

But that being said, I’m sad to leave Michelle Malkin’s family after two wonderful years at Hot Air.  I don’t think I’m revealing any secrets by telling readers what a caring, sweet, and big-hearted person Michelle is.   Working with her and her husband Jesse (who carried the weight of technical and human-resource management like a champ) has been the best professional situation of my life.  We both told the Salem execs when we first met with them that they had very large shoes to fill, but as great as they’ve been, it will never be quite the same.  Now we get to focus on being friends with the Malkins, and thanks to their many kindnesses over the past two years, we hope that lasts much longer.

For the best takes on the sale, read James Joyner and Jazz Shaw.  Jazz’ conclusion is spot-on:

So now a new owner will pay the bills at Hot Air. It sounds, from what I’ve found out, like a good deal for all concerned thus far. Ed and AP will retain their platform and possibly even gain some new exposure options in a large network. Malkin gets rid of a well loved but time consuming project which she branded as a leading conservative voice. Salem picks up another outlet which is widely read on the Right side of the aisle without dictating the tone. (If they wanted to do that they could have simply offered Ed and AP a column at Town Hall.)

Don’t read too much into this. Businesses change hands all the time and the names on ownership papers and paychecks shift every year across the land. Hot Air will remain and you can all be the judges as to whether or not the quality remains at the current level. I for one have no doubt but it will.

It’s going to be a fun journey, that much I can promise.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I just hope that HotAir.com never gets as trollified as Townhall.com did in its early years. The trolls seemed to take over Townhall at one point. That’s when gave up on Townhall, and didn’t go back. I’m hoping HotAir and Townhall can learn from each other’s experience, and I wish them many years of success.

RBMN on February 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM

sceptical on February 18, 2010 at 10:43 AM

I don’t get ads with Firefox. Maybe I need to open up IE to see the skimpy underwear adverts?

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Hopefully we will see new commenting features like ignore and rating options.
Congrats to Michelle on the business move. Good luck AP and Ed with the new bosses.

FireBlogger on February 18, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Ed, any idea on how soon the next open registration will be? Many of us miss getalife and simplesimon.

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

rhbandsp on February 18, 2010 at 10:46 AM

RBMN on February 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM

I’m with you…followed Ed over from Captain’s Quarters and have become a Hot Air junkie…I even like AP’s snark. I am hoping that the troll banning will be a little more frequent with new ownership.

search4truth on February 18, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Congratulations. Keep keepin’ it real.

CP on February 18, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Hopefully we will see new commenting features like ignore and rating options.

FireBlogger on February 18, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Uh… the trolls won’t know what to do with themselves!

OK, I’m out. Later, all.

MeatHeadinCA on February 18, 2010 at 10:47 AM

After all, they aren’t going to spend a boatload of cash (and no, I don’t have any idea what kind of boatload that might be) just to turn Hot Air into something completely different. If they wanted something completely different, they could have started something fresh with a lot less cost and competed against us instead.

PLEASE. They bought the site because it has a built-in audience, high traffic and is the place on the right for video aggregation.

Why would they buy it just to leave it alone? That’s idiotic. They want to parlay HA because they think they can grow it by making it the video feed arm of Townhall.

Here’s the problem – I hate Townhall. It’s always been the clearinghouse for conservative wannabes who can’t stand on their own. The original content is a puffed-up joke, the design is garbage and the forums are possibly the biggest embarrassment for the right online.

Really, Ed? Where the hell were you going to go? How can you even suggest that was a viable option when everyday, you guys report how shot the economy is, how the media is swirling the drain? On top of it, Salem is trying to corner the online market, so your only real options were to either cozy up with Newscorp who’s on the verge of a firesale, Anschutz or start from scratch. Great choices.

Jazz’s conclusion is ass. Salem knows what I know – Townhall is insular and limited, the equivalent of Kos. ED and AP could have left for TH and if Michelle kept HA going – I would stay here like most others. It’s not the damn writers I’m following, it’s the format. The crossover with TH is not that deep because HA isn’t an echo chamber.

On one hand, I’m glad for Ed and AP because it’s nice to have the financial security. On the other, it sucks. Corporate practices tank online. If they didn’t, Salem wouldn’t be buying established properties.

budfox on February 18, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Hey Ed and AP…

MM knows talent, you two made this work. You are to be congratulated on YOUR accomplishment. I hope you both received the pay increases you deserve. Your exposure will be increasing just in time for max impact. Be sure to take the time to reflect when you began blogging all those years ago.

Now with that said, get to work!

booter on February 18, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Oh yeah, we’re humped.

xardoz on February 18, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Congrats to Michelle on Creating the brand, and reaping the success.

Congrats to both Ed and Allahpundit. You guys just keep continuing to shine. HotAir is in my browser or my feed reader All. Day. Long.

juanito on February 18, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I have never been to townhall and I just did a quick trip over there. Gotta say the pop up ads kill that site, I got three on just the front page. I hope HA never gets that bad or I will quit visiting. It is extremely annoying.

Johnnyreb on February 18, 2010 at 10:49 AM

…hmmm….

…you create something…then stick with it, tune it, until it has value…then you sell it at a profit…what a concept….

…Michele, cash that check NOW…if Obama or Andy Stern find out, they’ll nationalize HA into oblivion….

Puritan1648 on February 18, 2010 at 10:50 AM

How will this impact El Rushbo, who works for Clear Channel – but uses (now Salem’s) HA for show prep material????

kevinkristy on February 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I just went to townhall.com and navigated to several pages and saw no popups…Y’all using WindowsME?

daesleeper on February 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM

When AP starts preaching gospel instead of humpbots, then you know he’s sold out.

lorien1973 on February 18, 2010 at 10:52 AM

What we commentators can expect is e-mails from TownHall now that they (Salem) own HA. Expect new solicitations in your e-mail box.

WashJeff on February 18, 2010 at 10:52 AM

After reading all that… I’ve changed my mind… I’m going to TRIPLE what I charge for my comments.

mankai on February 18, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Thanks Michelle

Wade on February 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM

I **HEART** my Allah and Ed. Congratulations on being worth buying (not that we had any doubts) and I hope this works out smashingly for all of us.

And that’s all there is to it.

tree hugging sister on February 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM

It’s eating posts again…

mankai on February 18, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I hope you both received the pay increases you deserve.

And equity, that’s where the money is.

BacaDog on February 18, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I still miss the videos of Michelle and Bryan….making music, playing Wii, eating sundaes…..

Congrats and cheers.

Tru2my2 on February 18, 2010 at 10:55 AM

So, does this satisfy AP’s fantasies as outlined in his many “When Google buys Hot Air” headlines?

Congratulations to everyone at Hot Air!

flipflop on February 18, 2010 at 10:19 AM

You mean the same Google that had several planes parked on the flight line at Obama’s inauguration?

unclesmrgol on February 18, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Just as long as Town Hall understands the importance of the farm system- The Green Room- and how it has helped Hot Air become more than just a blog or a site- but an enterprise.

Promote from within. Start getting the minors working more with audio and video reports themselves. There’s definitely room and talent there- reward it, and it’ll bare some serious fruit.

Hot Air’s my first click. Here’s to hoping that Town Hall not only gets that- but expands on what it just acquired.

Sincerely,
A Loyal Poyson

ChipDWood on February 18, 2010 at 10:56 AM

It’s eating posts again…

mankai on February 18, 2010 at 10:54 AM

It’s because you raised your prices 3X.

WashJeff on February 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM

RBMN on February 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Looming question: Will Ed & AP still have the authority to pull out the ban hammer? Or will they need to go up the food chain now to get the okay?

conservative pilgrim on February 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM

We dudes abide…

MarkT on February 18, 2010 at 10:58 AM

A few talking points, TOTUS style:

Congratulations, Michelle et al, I wish it were me.

For AP, Matthew 5:43-45

For Ed, “It is not my mode of thought that has caused my misfortunes, but the mode of thought of others”(Marquis de Sade)

Pray each day (even, you, AP) that The Corner never allows   comments.

Knott Buyinit on February 18, 2010 at 10:59 AM

“Using his signing bonus, AP purchases an iPad, without so much as one anxious post about it.”

eeyore on February 18, 2010 at 10:59 AM

budfox on February 18, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Tell us how you really feel.

BadgerHawk on February 18, 2010 at 10:59 AM

WashJeff on February 18, 2010 at 10:52 AM

NOOOOOOO!!!! Groan. I despise solicitations and email lists and always opt out. Will our emails be used for advertising purposes of TH and their subsidiaries?

conservative pilgrim on February 18, 2010 at 10:59 AM

I echo everyone else in hoping that changes to HA will be minor (SALEM – PLEASE, no pop ups like you have at TH).

Congratulations, to Michelle and her family also to AP and Ed. Hope you and Allah got a nice pay increase and bene’s – You deserve them!

I think it would be great if you guys could convince “The Boss” (Emeritus) to give us one last VENT video, for old times sake.

FloridaBill on February 18, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Hopefully The Boss will still get to guest post once in a while.

Keep up the good work, Eddie.

Abby Adams on February 18, 2010 at 10:19 AM

You forgot AP for doing good work.

Other than that oversight, I second that.

steveegg on February 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Bingo. Townhall is junk. If they do anything to Hot Air, it will become junk also. They were stupid enough to continue the crappy website design, without fixing it, and were satisfied running an insular website. If they bought Hot Air in order to turn it into a video version of Townhall, then it will become junk.

Expect pop ups. Lots of pop ups, and slow javascript applications that screw up your computer, if Salem gets its way and Townhalls this website.

Frankly, the fact that Townhall is broken to this day indicates that they don’t have any idea what they’re doing. They’re morons.

Sydney Carton on February 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM

kevinkristy on February 18, 2010

It’s still public domain, isn’t it?

SKYFOX on February 18, 2010 at 11:01 AM

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Ed was the one who banned getalife.

unclesmrgol on February 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM

FireFox browser – with popups disabled – works beautifully. I gave up on IE three years ago.

GoldenEagle4444 on February 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Congrats on the move guys, I look forward to the new era with excitement.

smfoushee on February 18, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Will I still be able to post as “oldleprechaun”, or will I need to re-register as “grumpy old white man”?

oldleprechaun on February 18, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Congratulations to MM. She had the vision for HA and look where it is now. Awesome.

That said, I have mixed feelings about the changes. I truly hope TH reads through the comment threads here and heeds some of the concerns and advice. For starters, PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THE FORMAT & LAYOUT OF HOT AIR! Townhall.com is clunky and messy. The pop-ups are annoying and it’s hard to find a link to an actual article without mistakenly clicking an advertisement.

Will commenters still have to register? Will the commenting policies be the same? Will the “DUDE” links be censored? So many questions…….

Change is inevitable. Hopefully, this will be good change. I’m taking a wait and see approach.

conservative pilgrim on February 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Change can be unsettling but I think this change will be good for both Ed and AP. You guys have been the best and will now shine brighter.

I’m sad to leave Michelle Malkin’s family after two wonderful years at Hot Air.

It’s only been 2 yrs? Geez, seems like you’ve been here forever Ed.

Good luck to both of you. I can’t wait to see what this change will bring.

JohnnyD on February 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM

As long as TownHall’s horrendous site design and popup ads don’t appear here, I’ll be fine.

Congrats, fellas.

OhioCoastie on February 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Congrats, I hope they pay you buckets of $$$$!!! Ain’t capitolism grand! I can’t wait to see what Michelle persues next.. I (heart) Hot Air!

kringeesmom on February 18, 2010 at 11:06 AM

It has been apparent for some time that Michelle had lost her heart/interest in Hot Air. I think that it had turned into something that she decided did not fit into her life anymore, in several ways. So it was time to simplify. That became more clear especially after the move to Colorado. The interview with Dobson, the non-responsiveness to comments made, reading a bit between the lines showed the direction that things would likely go in the near future. Then when the first-ever in-person staff meeting took place, the likelihood was there. I am happy for her and her family, and Ed and AP get to go in the direction they wish, which I think was somewhat different philosophically and perhaps spiritually than Michelle’s now. Best of luck to all.

Click on February 18, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Ed, I’m going to take a “wait and see” attitude on all of this news. There are a lot of questions I have that need time to be answered. Just please know that if they start turning HA into a flashing lights, carnival of advertising site, I’ll just mosey along.

With all due respect, Ed Morrissey IS HotAir. Without him it would fold up like a tent in a hurricane.

Best of luck!

GoldenEagle4444 on February 18, 2010 at 11:06 AM

It seems that most everyone has conveyed my feelings as well… Congrats!

WhoU4 on February 18, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Wait….Michelle is married?

D-mn it.

toliver on February 18, 2010 at 11:07 AM

If they still let Ed do his show, I hope they don’t force him to end it with some version of that stupid “SHA-WHAMMMM !” that ends Townhall vids.

eeyore on February 18, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Whatever you do…

…don’t…tax…beer.

Onwards fellas.

russcote on February 18, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Or whiskey!

Congrats Michelle, Ed, AP, and the Green Room…you all have made HA one of the best sites to go to everyday…
As lnog as Ed and AP are staying–so am I…

lovingmyUSA on February 18, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I go all the way back to the beginning. I come back because I enjoy the format and the posters, not the official commentary. They’ve been long periods where I’ve gone elsewhere because the topics being chosen were, lets say, not interesting to me.

Who owns HA is less important to me that the format, topics chosen and the posters who really make up HA. When that changes significantly to my dislike, I will go elsewhere just as many of you might.

TheBigOldDog on February 18, 2010 at 11:08 AM

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

OC, did you bump your head today??? Those two earned their bans. How about some regular HA commenters that were banned for comments about MO? Upstater85 and the other one (can’t remember his moniker.)? Bleeds Blue was a decent lefty commenter.

conservative pilgrim on February 18, 2010 at 11:09 AM

TheBigOldDog on February 18, 2010 at 11:08 AM

+1 I agree. I hope Salem doesn’t overlook the value of Hot Air’s commenters. If not Hot Air, we will rendezvous elsewhere.

d1carter on February 18, 2010 at 11:11 AM

You forgot the most important question.

Did you get a raise? :-)

JeffinSac on February 18, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Yay!
Good to hear you’ll remain in ‘control’!!!!

Congrats.

bridgetown on February 18, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Which will look … a lot like the old Hot Air

Okay, but what will it taste, feel, sound and smell like?

ya2daup on February 18, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Sorry to be a downer, but I don’t see anything good coming from this take over by a progressive organization like Salem.

opusrex on February 18, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Obligatory “Hmmmmmmm” “Dude.”

Christien on February 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM

OT: Ed is talking to Jim Demint.

Dire Straits on February 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Now excuse me while I listen to President Pantload who’s speaking once again on the boob tube.

Knucklehead on February 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Why don’t we just give him his own channel. Working title: RatTV.

They can install cameras all over the White House so that we can see what “the one” is doing every second of the day. Michelle Obama can have a workout show for fat kids. Bo Obama can even have a Sunday morning talk show. They can even strap a camera to Robert Gibbs (Gibbcam) so we can watch the Helen Thomas eye roll from the perspective of the podium.

highhopes on February 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM

OhioCoastie on February 18, 2010 at 11:05 AM

+ 2,000,000 (Statist Rounding Method – thanks, ted c!)

ya2daup on February 18, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I’m an Aspie and I don’t like any change darn it!
As long as my favorite blog doesn’t become like Townhall-I guess I’ll learn to cope…somehow.
*silly grin*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2010 at 11:17 AM

If Salem leaves the editorial direction, as it is, to EM and AP, that’s great…and I believe them, but at the risk of sounding pessimistic I’m still not convinced they won’t try to spruce up the physical look of the site and ruin the feel in the process (ah but Moe…the dank!)

50% of the appeal of Hot Air is its reader comments, which are a cut above. I find the regulars here to be wittier, more articulate and intelligent than on any other blog I know. The trouble with cluttered “commercial” looking sites like Townhall.com is that the annoying clutter and pop ups seem to deter readers of Hot Air quality. Along with the open registration, what you get is long, unwieldy threads full of poorly articulated, misspelled comments that aren’t terribly interesting.

Hot Air’s comment system is, to me, perfect. The closed registration keeps the quality high. The comment format – linear, with simple user operated quote tags, works great. I HATE those bloated multi-nested threads like you get at Duff-Poo. If the new HA strays too far from these essential qualities then it’s screwed…so let’s hope it doesn’t. Honesty, I’ve looked long and hard to find a blog that’s as attractive, usable and relevant as Hot Air, for variety purposes, but I’ve never been able to find one. I think many would agree with me, which is why a lot of us are just a squeensy bit worried about the future. Fingers crossed.

Sharke on February 18, 2010 at 11:17 AM

It’s eating posts again…

mankai on February 18, 2010 at 10:54 AM

It’s because you raised your prices 3X.

WashJeff on February 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Good one.

mankai on February 18, 2010 at 11:17 AM

You have no idea how much cash is involved? Dammit, Ed, you need a better agent. I work cheap.

You gotta figure that they wouldn’t change things all that much. It’s not like the “Hot Air” name is worth a lot on its own. Without the content, people would go elsewhere. What it could mean is that you guys go on other radio shows instead of your own, which sometimes pulls up to 150 listeners. So that’s good.

Urquhart on February 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM

But will they give Allahpundit an Iphone?

I hope the format and content don’t change too much.

vcferlita on February 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I hope this isn’t going to be another “New Coke” episode.

mankai on February 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I, for one, welcome our new Ant overlords Monitor Lizards.

/?

Christien on February 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I miss the VLogs too, but that system was not a good biz model apparently. Congrats to Michelle Malkin for making a business out of a dream, and I certainly understand her desire to cash out.

As to Town Hall, I stopped looking at it after the Hammer left. Their programming simply does not support what they try to do.

Hey if it doesn’t work, then eventually Ed and AP’s obligation to them will end, and there will be room for soemthing new.

Hmmmm, maybe call it Spare Air?

US Air, no … Hot Right? Velvet Air? Hot Revolver?

Give your ideas …

doufree on February 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Capitalism at it’s best. Everybody wins.

faol on February 18, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Hopefully we will see new commenting features like ignore and rating options.

FireBlogger on February 18, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Adding those features coincided with the downfall of LGF, and with the rise of the CJ ‘echo chamber’sycophants. I strongly advise AGAINST adding these types of features at HA.

DrW on February 18, 2010 at 11:20 AM

…and free iPads for long time posters?

Wine_N_Dine on February 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM

As long as Ed and AP are still around and retain content control for the most part things will be fine. I have been commenting on this site almost since inception. (I think it was the second open enrollment) and have enjoyed it tremendously. Change is always hard for us. I was devastated when Bryan left, (mostly because I hated to lose another Cowboy fan from the site) but AP hung around and Ed came along and things have been great since.

Here’s to continued success and growth for Hot Air, Allah and Ed. And I hope Michelle cleaned up on the deal!

conservnut on February 18, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Well, AP and Ed can always bolt and start anew in a heartbeat (and take us all with them) if they don’t like the new climate. But I’ll miss Michelle popping in on the threads every so often with zingers.

John the Libertarian on February 18, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Townhall is basically a collection of columnists. Hot Air, thanks to Ed and (God bless) AP, is a proper blog. And there have been finds via the Green Room, too, which have made this a 21st century electronic newspaper. Salem has just acquired itself a booming property. As long as Salem is smart enough to let Ed and (God bless) AP continue doing what they’re doing, things will be fine and we can continue missing/not missing getalife, who I really hope has gotten a life.

either orr on February 18, 2010 at 11:24 AM

BTW, anyone notice that the big, final jump on the women’s downhill run at Whistler…the one that caused at least 3 HUGE crashes…is named…wait for it….HOT AIR!

DrW on February 18, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I used to frequent Townhall quite a bit, but it seemed to go off the tracks to a certain extent. They were also plagued by technical issues – comments linked to incorrect columns *continually* (“hey, I think I’ll comment on this Mike Adams column… hey, when I click on the comments link it takes me to the comments section for Thomas Sowell’s column, wtf?”, etc).

I know largely only go there to catch the daily cartoons.

Midas on February 18, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Townhall is basically a collection of columnists.

either orr on February 18, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Most of which can be read elsewhere without the technical/html fubars that plague their site, imo.

Midas on February 18, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Thanks to Michelle for making a topnotch site. I guess if we need to know more about what she’s up to she’ll have to write more great books.

I’ve loved being part of this site, I hope it doesn’t change too much.

Hobbes on February 18, 2010 at 11:30 AM

“…being a part of the Salem family.”

Groan…

joshlbetts on February 18, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Please don’t let them mess up the page with zillions of slow-loading graphical flourishes and blinking ads and a search that doesn’t work and dozens of amateurish writers that hide the insight and news under a layer of pointless noise.

Kohath on February 18, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Again, congratulations to you!! As I said yesterday, if you’re all happy, and confident with this, than I’m happy for you! :)

I think this is a large testament to Michelle as well. Her savvy, and quality of work, her choices in Ed, and Allah to head up Hot Air, prove she makes good sound decisions, and is respected in the news world. Congratulations all the way around.

Now can we have a beer summit? :D

capejasmine on February 18, 2010 at 11:32 AM

On the one-year anniversary of Porkulus who knew Obrawndo would boast about Ed and Allahpundit as two more jobs “created or saved”?

Tom_OC on February 18, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Very good info…Thanks! It does put to reast a few concerns I had since hearing of this last night. Still wondering what changes ARE in the works, but as long as HotAir continues under Ed and AP, and with their vision and model, I’d have no doubt readership will only increase and quality will only improve.

JetBoy on February 18, 2010 at 11:33 AM

I used to frequent Townhall quite a bit …

Midas on February 18, 2010 at 11:26 AM

So did I; I almost never go there now.

The content loaded far too slowly, the ads loaded before content (I can appreciate having capitalism at work, but this prolonged the slow loads), and I disliked, intensely, that by default the articles were posted to the screen in two sections, rather than as a single item (which you could choose, but only after you viewed the first half of the divided article, so the net benefit was zero).

ya2daup on February 18, 2010 at 11:36 AM

If this has already been asked I appologize,
Will Ed and AP still have control of the Ban Hammer? Will there be new contibutors from Townhall starting threads? Or will they have to start out in the Green Room and wait for promotion at AP’s pleasure? Will there still be controlled enrollment? Will Michelle still make guest appearances? And does this absolutely mean that there will be no chance of getting another “Vent”?

Guest1.1 on February 18, 2010 at 11:36 AM

I haven’t found anything remotely as good as Hot Air out there. Ed and AP are right-leaning journalists/aggregators on steroids. They post new content with depth & analysis every 30-40 minutes some days, plus headline links. Who else does that?

John the Libertarian on February 18, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Well I hope things don’t change too dramatically. I am saddened though because now saying “the boss” just won’t have the same meaning.
*Sigh*

Just A Grunt on February 18, 2010 at 11:39 AM

The quality of the commenting (most times) on this site is what appeals to me. I spend a lot of time reading here and learn so much even in the comments, so I hope that good quality stays. I have been on other sites where I wouldn’t waste my time. I hit Drudge first and then straight here every day and am addicted. Congratulations to all involved, and keep up the good work!

silvernana on February 18, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Knucklehead on February 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I love you…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM

..for Pete’s sake, will you two get a room!

VoyskaPVO on February 18, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Request to Salem:

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

I hope Ed and AP are the only ones who notice any change and that it is merely the signature on their possibly higher paychecks.

No more than that. Thank you.

pannw on February 18, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Sooooooo…….

What’s been going on around here lately?

Seven Percent Solution on February 18, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Эду и Allapundit и “Босс”: Держите это реальным! Держите это тем же самым! Обменяйте на деньги чек! Наслаждайтесь жизнью!

С уважением,

Войска ПВО

VoyskaPVO on February 18, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Felicitations!

Maquis on February 18, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Don’t ban the trolls! What would we talk about if someone didn’t argue the other side!

Unless they start condemning us all to hell and stuff that gets pretty annoying.

petunia on February 18, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Sooooooo…….

What’s been going on around here lately?

Seven Percent Solution on February 18, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Nothing. Same old same old.

petunia on February 18, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Congratulation Michelle on turning an idea into an excellent, successfull business venture for you and your family!

devolvingtowardsidiocracy on February 18, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Request to Salem:

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

No more than that. Thank you.

pannw on February 18, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Hey here’s an idea for impovement! How about Salem sends us all a check too! Spread the wealth guys!

petunia on February 18, 2010 at 11:56 AM