Welcome to the new Hot Air!

posted at 10:12 am on February 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday was a travel day for me, so I missed a lot of the commentary on the acquisition of Hot Air by Salem Communications, the conservative radio network that features such luminaries as my friend and mentor Hugh Hewitt, Dennis Prager, and Michael Medved, and who bought Townhall from the Heritage Foundation several years ago.  The commentary ranged from the objective, in Andy Barr’s straightforward reporting at Politico, to the hysterical at The Atlantic Wire, where Max Fisher described our comment thread as “turn[ing] ugly” after someone remarked that selling Hot Air was like “Dylan going electric,” and someone else replied “Yeah, electric accordion.”  (I laughed out loud when I read that.)  I’ve seen more pungent remarks in humpbot threads; I’m not sure what was ugly about normal concerns that arise with any acquisition.  I’ve been through a few of them in my previous career, and change is universally unsettling.

If readers are unsettled, you can imagine how Allahpundit and I felt when we heard about the potential sale. After all, we provide almost all of the content for the site, and it’s not exactly a secret that we occasionally criticize the Right as well as the Left, and sometimes the center, too.  We offer offbeat content from time to time that may not be the favorite of a network that bases itself on conservative and Christian themes.  The questions being asked in the comments sections are the same that we brought to our meetings in Colorado Springs earlier this month.

What I can tell you is that Salem bought Hot Air because, if you’ll pardon a Sally Field moment here, they like us — they really, really like us.  After all, they aren’t going to spend a boatload of cash (and no, I don’t have any idea what kind of boatload that might be) just to turn Hot Air into something completely different.  If they wanted something completely different, they could have started something fresh with a lot less cost and competed against us instead.

When we negotiated our new relationships with Salem, both of us stressed the need to have the same editorial control and direction for Hot Air.  Not surprisingly, Salem readily agreed.  Now, they still own the business and can intervene when they see fit — just as Michelle could, but rarely if ever did — but they know us and our editorial choices.  We clarified the process and the direction to our satisfaction.  If we weren’t satisfied that we remained in position to maintain the current direction of Hot Air, neither of us would have stuck around.  We did, and we’ll be around for a while, too.

That doesn’t mean there won’t be changes, of course, but most of those will be to broaden our impact and reach.  Salem has a tremendous presence with its radio hosts, for instance, and it wouldn’t surprise me to see some synergy applied in that direction.  Townhall, now our sister site, will remain separate from Hot Air, but we’ll probably have some opportunities to participate more often in the magazine in the future.  I’m very excited about the potential for growth at Hot Air by being a part of the Salem family.

But that being said, I’m sad to leave Michelle Malkin’s family after two wonderful years at Hot Air.  I don’t think I’m revealing any secrets by telling readers what a caring, sweet, and big-hearted person Michelle is.   Working with her and her husband Jesse (who carried the weight of technical and human-resource management like a champ) has been the best professional situation of my life.  We both told the Salem execs when we first met with them that they had very large shoes to fill, but as great as they’ve been, it will never be quite the same.  Now we get to focus on being friends with the Malkins, and thanks to their many kindnesses over the past two years, we hope that lasts much longer.

For the best takes on the sale, read James Joyner and Jazz Shaw.  Jazz’ conclusion is spot-on:

So now a new owner will pay the bills at Hot Air. It sounds, from what I’ve found out, like a good deal for all concerned thus far. Ed and AP will retain their platform and possibly even gain some new exposure options in a large network. Malkin gets rid of a well loved but time consuming project which she branded as a leading conservative voice. Salem picks up another outlet which is widely read on the Right side of the aisle without dictating the tone. (If they wanted to do that they could have simply offered Ed and AP a column at Town Hall.)

Don’t read too much into this. Businesses change hands all the time and the names on ownership papers and paychecks shift every year across the land. Hot Air will remain and you can all be the judges as to whether or not the quality remains at the current level. I for one have no doubt but it will.

It’s going to be a fun journey, that much I can promise.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Congrats & best wishes.

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Love the site. Hope it stays as is and doesn’t get all hope and changie. ;-)

Congrats!

watson007 on February 18, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Congrats!!! Stay true!!

jwehman on February 18, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Congratulations to everyone at Hot Air!

Exurban Jon on February 18, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Congratulations!

dogsoldier on February 18, 2010 at 10:16 AM

O boy HotAir is in the same tent as squish Michael Medved. What can go wrong?

daesleeper on February 18, 2010 at 10:17 AM

So, does this satisfy AP’s fantasies as outlined in his many “When Google buys Hot Air” headlines?

Congratulations to everyone at Hot Air!

flipflop on February 18, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Hopefully The Boss will still get to guest post once in a while.

Keep up the good work, Eddie.

Abby Adams on February 18, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Congrats, we will be watching!

El Coqui on February 18, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss?

But with synergy!

I trust you guys. After all it’s all I can do. I’m kinda excited to see where this site leads, because I honestly think it’s one of the brightest spots in the conservative blogosphere.

And if that light dims, I won’t be angry, that’s how things go. But any chance that more people can hear about you guys and read your analysis should make us all happy.

Keljeck on February 18, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Congrats to all, and I hope everything remains status quo. I signed up on day one and have been a loyal reader ever since. There’s nothing quite like it out there.

tommuck on February 18, 2010 at 10:20 AM

This was big news! Congratulations! And don’t go changing! We like you HotAir just the way you are!

freeus on February 18, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Whatever you do…

…don’t…tax…beer.

Onwards fellas.

russcote on February 18, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Ed, congratulations to both you and AP. I hope Hot Air remains the same dynamic forum for years to come.

kingsjester on February 18, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Ed, any idea on how soon the next open registration will be? Many of us miss getalife and simplesimon.

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Are the NYT ads part of your new plan?

GardenGnome on February 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Congarats to all.

I hope HotAir doesn’t lose it’s “grassroots” feel. I’m hoping for the best.

UltimateBob on February 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

The center needs the most criticism!

MeatHeadinCA on February 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Three cheers for capitalism! Congrats to Michelle for showing how it is still done in America – build a better mouse trap, and the world will beat a path to your door.

rockmom on February 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Ed,

Will you guys be free to snark on Hewitt in
2012 when Romney eventually runs again?

DB

DB on February 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

…Which will look … a lot like the old Hot Air.

GOOD! I was Hoping for little to no Change.

::spit::

Patrick S on February 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

AP’s play for an IPhone upgrade in 3….2….1…

Bugler on February 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I’m happy for you and AP, Ed. I’m hoping you both had (have) a stake and so will get a nice bonus check at signing!

I love HotAir and don’t imagine that will change.

Ordinary1 on February 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Love HotAir. Love Townhall. But…

Are we going to get pop-upped to death? which is my only real beef with TH.

pugwriter on February 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Auguri! Couldn’t have happened to better bloggers! :O)

sarainitaly on February 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Ed, AP, Michelle and Salem–best wishes to all involved. I like HotAir for the same reasons that Salem did. I fully admit, I’m a HotAir junkie. Coffee and OOTD thread, Ed’s threads in the am, headlines, AP’s threads in the PM, end with QOTD, bounce a troll around and–restart next day. I admit it–I really like this site, you guys do a heckuva great job and I commend you. The shrewd and snarky analysis on all things political is extraordinary as well as the lightning fast timing on breaking news.

Yep, keep doing that. I lovs me sum HotAir.

ted c on February 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Congrats, now don’t go changing, we love you just the way you are :)

Mini-14 on February 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Congratulations Capt. Ed and Allah! I’m feeling much better now. When do we get a new set of trolls and pop-up ads?!? :)

Dire Straits on February 18, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Kudos to both Ed and AP as their hard and faithful work made this site a valuable thing to acquire. Thanks also to MM for starting this site in the first place.

I admit I am wondering how Salem will view AP’s occasional atheist or agnostically themed topics. But IMHO those have been more side issues and not the main topics during the roughly 18 months I’ve followed HotAir.

jwolf on February 18, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Ed,
Salem has radio shows. Is this going to affect your show?

MarkTheGreat on February 18, 2010 at 10:23 AM

O boy HotAir is in the same tent as squish Michael Medved. What can go wrong?

daesleeper on February 18, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I couldn’t have said it any better. Will HA now get contributions from squish central, Townhall?

thomasaur on February 18, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Congratulations to the folks at HotAir!
I think this is a good thing for America.

Thank You Michelle (& Jesse) for ALL you’ve done, & continue to do. True American patriots.

The same to AP & Ed, keep up the great work!

JoeAvg on February 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Is it too early for me to slap you upside the head?

Congrats to all.

Now excuse me while I listen to President Pantload who’s speaking once again on the boob tube.

Knucklehead on February 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Congratulations to everyone. I sincerely hope that this will be a good thing for all.

Sarah2053 on February 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Someday when my grandkids say “Grandpa, tell me about the old days” I will be able to recount my time as a HA poster and regale them with tales of opining, debating and commenting on topics presented by some guy named Ed.

The kids will say “Ed? You mean Captain Ed, the guy who bought the Steelers????” And I’ll say “Yes, that Ed.”

Bishop on February 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Many of us miss getalife and simplesimon.

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

PLEASE say you were being sarcastic. Pretty please??

jwolf on February 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I want Allahpundit unleashed. The more sarcasm the better.

Bill C on February 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM

“And if we inflate our tires, we can save just as much!”

Or something…

Mr_Magoo on February 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Good for the Boss.

BuckeyeSam on February 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Knucklehead on February 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I love you…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Good! I’m a Christian and a Liberty University grad and I don’t want anything to change in how my favorite Catholic and Atheist commenters run this site. This site is so great because of Allah and Ed and the content they bring. It’s the best out there. MM was great in the freedom she gave both, something AP always credited her for, and it would be fundamentally damaging to this site if the content changed. Also, a word to the new Boss, give these boys a raise.

Weight of Glory on February 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I don’t miss them but I am hoping Upstater85 can come back.

Dire Straits on February 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Are we going to get pop-upped to death? which is my only real beef with TH.

pugwriter on February 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Which is the reason I don’t go to Townhall anymore.

Knucklehead on February 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM

flipflop on February 18, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Allah’s iPhone acquisition plans will finally come to fruition.

BadgerHawk on February 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Now it makes since why Michelle kept separate from HotAir (posting-wise), “it was a profit-making deal.” (The Jerk quote)

WashJeff on February 18, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Will the Dude posts still be allowed under Salem?

Chickyraptor on February 18, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Ed, you and AP are the best that I have ever read on this interweb thingy. I hope the Salem corporate types will keep their hands off and let you do what you do best.
Secondly, I hope Salem understands that the readers and commenters of this site are very important and add tremendous value to this HotAir brand. I hope they recognize this and don’t spoil the party. I look forward to reading and commenting on the Conservative revival of 2010 and beyond. Good luck with this new endeavor.

d1carter on February 18, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Purge The Deviationists! Purge! Purge! Purge!

This can be like the time when the Chinese bought the Onion – Yu Wan Mei “Fish Time Is Success Time”!

Realist on February 18, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Yes but does this mean you will no longer refer to Michelle as “the Boss”?

powerpro on February 18, 2010 at 10:27 AM

I love you…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Wide stance-er.

BobMbx on February 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I want Allahpundit unleashed. The more sarcasm the better.

Bill C on February 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM

What Bill said. Life atHA without sarcasm isn’t worth living.

thomasaur on February 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM

My sincerest thanks to the Malkins for creating and developing this extraordinary and indespensible site.

Josiah on February 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Congrats Ed and AP, and good luck!

And a HUGE thank-you to Michelle & Jesse!

crazy_legs on February 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM

My collie says:

Er…Bon Voyage, Michelle. Is AllahPundit going to be nice to Sarah Palin now?

Like I told you before, collie, what makes you think that AllahPundit is CAPABLE of “nice”?

CyberCipher on February 18, 2010 at 10:29 AM

When we negotiated our new relationships with Salem, both of us stressed the need to have the same editorial control and direction for Hot Air. Not surprisingly, Salem readily agreed. Now, they still own the business and can intervene when they see fit — just as Michelle could, but rarely if ever did — but they know us and our editorial choices. We clarified the process and the direction to our satisfaction. If we weren’t satisfied that we remained in position to maintain the current direction of Hot Air, neither of us would have stuck around. We did, and we’ll be around for a while, too.

Comforting to know.

SouthernGent on February 18, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Dude!

MM is still the Boss Emeritus.

BottomLine5 on February 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Business is business…
….and content is content.

Even the mighty el Rushbo steals content from HotAir (I jest…).

Mr. Allahpundit needles the conservative point of view with gusto, while Mr. Morrissey is more sympathetic.

Life endures.

Skandia Recluse on February 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Joe Biden wants to count this occasion as two jobs saved.

Dire Straits on February 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Life atHA without sarcasm isn’t worth living.

thomasaur on February 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM

In case things go south… we already are working on HA Rendezvous sites :)

MeatHeadinCA on February 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Congratulations to Michelle, Salem, Ed and Allah! Great site and hopefully will become even greater.
Great to see that Michelle is following Palin in getting even more rich after her hard work on behalf of the citizens of this country!
Now that the sites are truly separated, Ed, don’t forget to link to Michelle’s site more often. She will always be the founder of Hot Air.

Christian Conservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Joe Biden wants to count this occasion as two jobs saved.

Dire Straits on February 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Well, you also have to take into account a most likely new open registration which will give an uncountable number of jobs to the currently part time employed trolls.

MeatHeadinCA on February 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM

And I thought the big news would be that Allahpundit had converted to Christianity. /

Congratulations on the big move. Best of luck in your new, expanded horizons.

backwoods conservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Congrats to all!

silenced majority on February 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Don’t forget Bleeds Blue!

Del Dolemonte on February 18, 2010 at 10:32 AM

MeatHeadinCA on February 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Is that an invite and if so how do I play?

thomasaur on February 18, 2010 at 10:32 AM

In related news,Air America has acquired LGF.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 18, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Congratulations to all involved. Capitalism does work, if you work hard and do the right thing.

Glad there will be no major changes. I don’t post often, but I am a Hot Air addict. Keep it like it is, and don’t let them pop up us to death.

kam582 on February 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Congratulations on the big move. Best of luck in your new, expanded horizons.

backwoods conservative on February 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Someone mentioned that perhaps Salem will broadcast his baptism *snicker

MeatHeadinCA on February 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Hee! I’m imagining Jesse conducting diversity seminars and workplace interventions … “Now, just because you’re a Catholic, Ed, and you’re an atheist, Allah, there’s no reason you can’t get along…”

Congratulations, guys, and don’t let HA change!

Rosmerta on February 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I just hope the site doesn’t start to look like the mess at Townhall.com.

RadClown on February 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Is that an invite and if so how do I play?

thomasaur on February 18, 2010 at 10:32 AM

open invite to all… just create a FB account and join… it can be a sockpuppet (isn’t that the HA spirit?) :)

MeatHeadinCA on February 18, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I have been through both sides of many acquisitions. It’s best if you realize you have a new job today. New boss. New everything. Life will be easier. Change will come.

faraway on February 18, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I just hope the site doesn’t start to look like the mess at Townhall.com.

Yeah, keep it the same same.

royzer on February 18, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Change will come.

faraway on February 18, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Just not under Obama

MeatHeadinCA on February 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Thanks for your comments on this Ed. Been curious as to the extent of modifications here.

Spirit of 1776 on February 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Congrats Ed and AP. My only hope is that they remove some of the advertisments since they will be better funded now by Salem. The site sometimes takes forever to load…

So does this mean AP has to come out of the closet now? Are there anonymous bloggers at Townhall?

davek70 on February 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Does this mean AP will finally get an IPhone?

Will KP now give him a SECOND LOOK since he’s now a millionaire?

Will there still be humpbots?

Inquiring minds want to know!

BacaDog on February 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM

MeatHeadinCA on February 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM

I agree.Just think a brand new class of neophytes and new trolls to train. We better stock up on shamwows and slap chops.

Dire Straits on February 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Ed,
Salem has radio shows. Is this going to affect your show?

MarkTheGreat on February 18, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Ed is filling in for Hugh Hewitt on Friday!

gwelf on February 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Congratulations and best wishes for your continued success, Ed. Being a charter member here at HA, I look forward to seeing how much larger you grow at the new digs.

rightside on February 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Hope you two got big fat raises. You deserve it. Thanks for the content.

Trent1289 on February 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Dire Straits on February 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Some of us have been training for troll hunting… Squish Concern Trolls are the most fun to track ;-)

MeatHeadinCA on February 18, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Dire Straits on February 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I am buying extra popcorn today. It will be fun to watch.

barnone on February 18, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Having had an experience in a buyout, this means you signed a contract with Salem good for at least 2 or 3 years to stay with them. This would be essential to the sale as you two guys ARE HotAir. Congrats are definitely in order.

No stinking TH style pop-ups please.

GnuBreed on February 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM

How ’bout some actually interesting news…

Doorgunner on February 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I am buying extra popcorn today. It will be fun to watch.

barnone on February 18, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Want something fun to watch? Go over to the Tamyra for Senate FB page! She scrubs that site down every hour but the “teabaggers” just keep coming back for more.

MeatHeadinCA on February 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM

And a HUGE thank-you to Michelle & Jesse!

crazy_legs on February 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Dittoes! I hope you two made a mint. And yes, Salem, give AP and Ed a raise! They work hard finding the news so we don’t have to.

Rosmerta on February 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Is that an invite and if so how do I play?

thomasaur on February 18, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Just get a Facebook page and get your butt over there. Aren’t you the least bit curious to see what some of us really look like?

Knucklehead on February 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM

does this mean thee is going to be a God Section now?

Kaptain Amerika on February 18, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Does this mean AP has a shot at his own radio show?

yo on February 18, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Congrats and further success to AP, Michelle and yourself.

max on February 18, 2010 at 10:39 AM

does this mean thee is going to be a God Section now?

Kaptain Amerika on February 18, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Written by MeggyMac “i iz godette”

MeatHeadinCA on February 18, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Does this mean AP has a shot at his own radio show?

yo on February 18, 2010 at 10:39 AM

The kittens wouldn’t let him visit the studio.

MeatHeadinCA on February 18, 2010 at 10:40 AM

They went for quality!

And – they’d better not change anything! In addition to your honesty, integrity, insightful reporting AND humor – I also appreciate that you are not afraid to skewer “your own” if you think it’s required.

Best of luck to all – and I thank Ed and Allah P for all you do, every day.

pbundy on February 18, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I think the only thing Ed and AP will miss is having a HOTTIE for a Boss. Now, they prolly have some stodgy receded hairline 60 something guy with a pot belly as a boss.
With Michele as your boss, you at least have a hope for some bikini pics. With the new boss, if you see any bikini pics, you hope for early blindness.

44Magnum on February 18, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Best wishes to one and all!

Meet the new site, same as the old site. 8)

Dark-Star on February 18, 2010 at 10:41 AM

So Michelle won’t be referred to as “The Boss” anymore ?

moc23 on February 18, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I want Allahpundit unleashed. The more sarcasm the better.

Bill C on February 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM

A cheap substitute for wit, but it’s all he has.

SKYFOX on February 18, 2010 at 10:42 AM

NO CHANGE we can believe in (I HOPE)?

/s

Will there still be humpbots?

Inquiring minds want to know!

BacaDog on February 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Probably not. But the kitteh quotient will probably go up.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on February 18, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Congrats to all involved – excellent site. I am a UK reader and keep up to speed on everything that matters in US by coming here (and maybe one or two other places).

Just one request to Salem. Any chance of getting rid of those dreadful teeth-whitening adverts that appear here from time to time? I don’t know if you guys get the same ads served in the US, but close-up photos of dentures and gums while trying to learn about Obamacare and Tea Parties do not do it for me. Likewise the anti-obesity ads with close-ups of torsos and stomachs. Yucccch.

Now the delightful young ladies in the skimpy underwear adverts – that’s a different matter – more of them, please and less of the molars and paunches. Thanks – and keep up the great editorial work….

sceptical on February 18, 2010 at 10:43 AM