CPAC Interview: Jason Mattera responds to NYT accusation of racism

posted at 6:24 pm on February 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Meet the favorite new meme of the Left: CPAC is populated with racists. Kate Zernike of the New York Times attended Jason Mattera’s talk on attracting younger members to the conservative movement, and accused Jason of race-baiting:

How can conservatives win the youth vote that overwhelmingly went for Barack Obama in 2008? At the Conservative Political Action Conference, apparently, some are betting on using racial stereotypes.

In a panel appealing to conservatives under 30, Jason Mattera, author of a forthcoming book called “Obama Zombies: How the Liberal Machine Brainwashed My Generation,” likened the gathering to “our Woodstock.”

“Except that unlike the last gathering, our women are beautiful, we speak in complete sentences and our notion of freedom doesn’t consist of snorting cocaine,” he said, “which is certainly one thing that separates us from Barack Obama.”

That’s racist? Well, Zernike has more. Be sure to read the entire piece; I can’t display it all, but Zernike also reports that Jason used a “mock Chris Rock voice,” and that he said at one point, “Yes, my brothahs and sistahs. Yes we can!” That’s pretty thin gruel, especially if you know Jason; he’s been calling me his “brothah” in his pronounced Brooklyn accent since the day I met him. Jason paid me a visit at Blogger Row earlier today, where I asked him about this story, and Jason blasted Zernike for her reporting:

Comments

ed, you are cute like all the bald men in my family.

and yes, i’m pushing for the “younger” set to take over all the grunt work of local politics. sure, its work, but its fun, too. i’m tired of childrens dance recitals & golf games getting in the way.

kelley in virginia on February 18, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Maybe she’s confusing “Woodstock” with “Wattstax.”

Otherwise, if anyone had bothered bathing those hippies at Woodstock, they’d have found that the percent of whites there was at least as high as at CPAC, if not reaching the purity of MSNBC levels.

notropis on February 18, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Kate Zernike didn’t pass out from the vulgarity? /

What a bunch of crap. Jon Stewart does far worse 5 days a week. The NYT will be lucky to be producing a paper in 6 months.

portlandon on February 18, 2010 at 6:34 PM

The TOTAL BALD thing is HAWT, Ed.

Couple years back you had the downy-chick thing goin’ on.

This is muuuuch. More.

UM.

TACtile.

****mmmm, mmm, mmmmMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm ***

seejanemom on February 18, 2010 at 6:34 PM

“Best thing about multi-culturism is the food.” LOL!

I hope Jason is still going to be a part of the new Hot Air.

tru2tx on February 18, 2010 at 6:38 PM

I think that lawsuits for libel should be filed every time some leftist writes something like this. Eventually it will make these tools think twice before they publish garbage. It will also have an effect on public opinion. The left has already overplayed the racist card WRT Obama to the point it has almost become a joke.

Aviator on February 18, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Mattera has that accent and lingo all the time.

Unlike Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, Barack Obama and other liberals who affect local accents while they condescend to the unwashed peasants. Remember Biden in coal contry in Western Virginia suddenly forgetting how to conjugate verbs? That crap is just embarrassing.

forest on February 18, 2010 at 6:46 PM

“That’s pretty thin gruel,…”

That’s is a pretty accurate description…

Seven Percent Solution on February 18, 2010 at 6:46 PM

“Best thing about multi-culturism is the food.” LOL!

I hope Jason is still going to be a part of the new Hot Air.

tru2tx on February 18, 2010 at 6:38 PM

—–

I’m in Chicago. I can get good Thai, German, Indian, Polish, Chinese, Greek, Italian, Russian, and American within walking distance every day. Chicago does multiculturalism pretty darn well – every ethnic group gets a cuisine and a parade day.

Mew

acat on February 18, 2010 at 6:50 PM

HEY! Don’t F with Brooklyn! It’s not Cambridge.

Reality Check on February 18, 2010 at 6:50 PM

The ‘Race Card’ will be hear soon to explain all this any minute…

BigWyo on February 18, 2010 at 6:50 PM

the post by the times was absurd.

rob verdi on February 18, 2010 at 7:06 PM

I want that deck of race cards– Corvettes, Ferraris, Lambos, etc.

leftnomore on February 18, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Jason Mattera has more of a hood-pass than John Mayer.

I wonder if Zernike meant the Chris Rock voice when he says “cracka-ass cracka.”

Maybe she’s confusing “Woodstock” with “Wattstax.”

That would be pretty damn funny if Mattera hadn’t made the Woodstock comment.

The Race Card on February 18, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Hey Jason–great job today! Btw, here’s a comment I made from earlier today before the Times made you famous :)

There can really be no reaction to the new phenomenon of CPAC other than an accusation of racism. But that doesn’t work in 2010, so heads will explode, some literally.

JiangxiDad on February 18, 2010 at 2:20 PM

JiangxiDad on February 18, 2010 at 7:21 PM

The ‘Race Card’ will be hear soon to explain all this any minute…

BigWyo on February 18, 2010 at 6:50 PM

No explanation needed. Mattera is funny and edgy. NYT is sour and brittle.

I didn’t get where Zernike accuses him of racism. But she was still totally inaccurate in her portrayal of Jason Mattera.

I hope he catches up with her. That will be good. He’s going to bury Zernike.

The point he makes about blacks not all sounding the same seems to be especially true amongst conservatives.

The Race Card on February 18, 2010 at 7:37 PM

The Race Card on February 18, 2010 at 7:37 PM

In voice or content?

The Race Card on February 18, 2010 at 7:38 PM

It is time for conservatives to start filing lawsuits over this garbage. It must stop and it must stop now. Any lawyers here have any ideas?

jdawg on February 18, 2010 at 7:53 PM

portlandon on February 18, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Don’t count on it … the Obowa stimulus will keep them afloat. He needs these hacks.

Meanwhile … go Jason! I can hardly wait to see what he comes up with next.

ORrighty on February 18, 2010 at 7:59 PM

The ‘Race Card’ will be hear soon to explain all this any minute…

BigWyo on February 18, 2010 at 6:50 PM

He already had a hissy-fit over on another thread over this…

lovingmyUSA on February 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Where are you, Ed, so I can come and stalk you? What other hotair peeps are here at CPAC?

ashleymatt on February 18, 2010 at 9:00 PM

He already had a hissy-fit over on another thread over this…

lovingmyUSA on February 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Yeah, I was following along. I thought this shut him up for a minute…

The Race Card on February 18, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Dude, I’m actually at the conference. There was nothing about Mattera’s tone that was racial. For the Times to pretend as if it was is clearly an attempt on their part to paint Mattera as racist without actually using the world. It cowardly; they just want to keep from being sued.

baldilocks on February 18, 2010 at 5:07 PM

But alas…he came back with this scathing rejoinder…

Your word is impeccable.

The Race Card on February 18, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Did ya ever see that South Park episode where they moved to San Francisco and all started smelling their own farts???

BigWyo on February 18, 2010 at 10:05 PM

He already had a hissy-fit over on another thread over this…

lovingmyUSA on February 18, 2010 at 8:56 PM

I made my points. You’ve made none. You’re excused, next.

But alas…he came back with this scathing rejoinder…

You expect me to lie? I accept her Baldi’s version. I have no reason to doubt her veracity. She’s imminently fair and honest.

Plus, I enjoy a good smack down from a hard-hitting woman.

Thanks again, Baldi.

BigWyo on February 18, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Your sexual fantasies have no place in this discussion.

The Race Card on February 19, 2010 at 12:42 AM

View the face of evil:
Kate

pabarge on February 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM

This is as bad as when they said Jason was racist because he made a comment about Puerto Ricans and Judge Sotomayor, which is racist, since he is Puerto Rican.

As for the NYT piece, I don’t see where the “racist” part is. They really try to pull hate from their asses.

Rbastid on February 20, 2010 at 2:08 AM

HAHAHA!!! Hilarious stuff, especially at the end.

People like Jason Mattera and Andrew Breitbart are American heroes. Would love for him to trick her into another baseless story like the drugs they were talking about at the end. That would be classic Mattera. lol.

BobUSMC on February 20, 2010 at 4:12 AM

The real question: Is being from Brooklyn an ethnicity? If so they should get preferential treatment.

And the only good thing about multiculturalism is the food… Food is the way America is truly multi-cultural… we eat everything! And it is delicious… does this make Michelle Obama’s war on obesity anti-multicultural?

I’m going to make a quesadilla now.

petunia on February 20, 2010 at 10:51 AM