CPAC Day 1 Live Show thread

posted at 9:30 am on February 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Normally, my favorite method of covering CPAC is to conduct interviews with newsmakers, activists, and bloggers as the opportunity arises.  With Ustream, that’s incredibly easy to do, since I can start and end shows at the time of my choosing, but setting up a separate show post for each one makes it impossible to do quickly. Plus having a chat room open in multiple posts will make it difficult for people to leave comments, and create other problems as well.  Instead, each morning I will have a single live-show post with the chat room (which will be open all day long), and then a separate post for each of the interviews for playback.  Just leave this post live in one of your browser tabs, and it should play automatically as I come on the air.

When I have advance notice of interviews, I’ll make sure to note them in these posts.  For instance, today I may get a few minutes with Senator Jim DeMint (depending on timing, as he’s flying out of DC today) and at noon ET, I’ll talk with Lila Rose, whose undercover videos exposed lawbreaking by Planned Parenthood.  Remember, if you miss the live broadcast, I will replay the recording in separate posts.

Now you can join the conversation in the chat room! Be sure to register at Ustream to participate in our raucous live-chat sessions. (And if the log-in prompt doesn’t come up in the chat box below, use this link instead.) Jazz Shaw of The Moderate Voice and The Monster moderate the chat, and they have Troll Gun Trivia Contest running before the show, for those who get there early — and are registered!

I’ll be making a headlining appearance on The Liberty Ship Cruise in November! Sign up today to reserve your cabin for the eight-day cruise that starts November 14th from Ft Lauderdale and visits St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and Nassau. Join Paul Shanklin, Mary Katharine Ham, Andy Levy, Steven Crowder, S.E. Cupp, and many more on this trip to conservative paradise! Cabins start at only $799 if you book your trip now.

If the new Java-based chat does not work well for you, try refreshing your browser after first allowing for the Java application to run. If that still doesn’t work, join us through the Ustream channel page for TEMS!

Want to see all episodes of The Ed Morrissey Show? Add the RSS feed to your reader and keep them handy!

Christmas season is over, but you can still get great deals delivered to your door. Check out Ed’s Bookshelf or search for what you want. For the clueless or the FTC (but I repeat myself!), I get compensated for sales made through these links:

Opening animation from TG Studios.

Comments

One hopes you put those horizontally-striped shirts in the mission barrel for Haiti?

Wethal on February 18, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Hey Phillipe Detournay, your digital signature has expired.

Akzed on February 18, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Lila Rose…Hmmmmm. I sometimes wonder if Ed got into conservatism just for the babes, starting with his soon to be former boss…. :)

RBMN on February 18, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I don’t know what the front page photo has to do with CPAC and I don’t care.

lowandslow on February 18, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Who is that gal in that picture you love to use so much?

mizflame98 on February 18, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Is that the red haired girl from the unemployment line? Or is that Cassy, the guest blogger?

ted c on February 18, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Oh come on Ed, can’t you do something about that 200% on that single supplement? I’m taking that same cruise on Saturday and the grand total is only $950 bucks.

Us single folks are tired of getting screwed.

Please, pretty please?

Knucklehead on February 18, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Pretty sure that pic is Lila Rose, considering he *always* uses it on a PP thread or a thread regarding one of her stings.

Kelligan on February 18, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Us single folks are tired of getting screwed.

Please, pretty please?

Knucklehead on February 18, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Just wait till you’re married, then you won’t have to worry about it.

Getting screwed that is…

loudmouth883 on February 18, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Cpac? Isn’t like my grandfather’s convention?

unseen on February 18, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Just wait till you’re married, then you won’t have to worry about it.

Getting screwed that is…

loudmouth883 on February 18, 2010 at 10:08 AM

hey, I’m single and I’m not getting screwed. . . by anything other than Dear Liar, Prince Harry & Empress Pelosi.

rbj on February 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Ask DeMint about your former Boss’s post about the Mount Vernon statement.

BuckeyeSam on February 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Rubio making cracks at Obama while he copies his campaign style and blueprint to victory…

No thanks…

Squid Shark on February 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Currently in the lobby at cpac.

Can we please rename it to Cuties Political Action Conference

I’m in freaking heaven. So worth the last minute flight out of jfk.

blatantblue on February 18, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Rubios wife is stunning

I took a pic of my friend and rubio but I wanted to be in a photo with his wife

blatantblue on February 18, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Who is Phillipe Detournay?

Ed, this needs to be looked into – there’s a digital certificate popping up on this article.

HondaV65 on February 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Just wait till you’re married, then you won’t have to worry about it.

Getting screwed that is…

loudmouth883 on February 18, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I wouldn’t get married again for all the money in the world. I’d rather pay double for the cruise than to ever have to wash men’s underwear again.

Knucklehead on February 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Ed sneered at Hooters for exploiting beautiful women, in a post from earlier this week.

How does Ed explain the photo on HA’s main page that accompanies this post?

(Not that I am complaining, mind you….)
__________

RJGatorEsq. on February 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM

OOOOO! ooooo! OOOOO! Are the Birchers hers there? Are the Birchers there?

Rocks on February 18, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Hey, maybe HA and Red State will provide blog posts from the John Birch Society meet n greet, or the Fed Ex Pay to Play mixer!

james23 on February 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I’m sure Allahpundit will weigh in with a shocking expose on the cost of a ticket to C-PAC this year, right?

james23 on February 18, 2010 at 11:20 AM

How does Ed explain the photo on HA’s main page that accompanies this post?

(Not that I am complaining, mind you….)
__________

RJGatorEsq. on February 18, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Ed’s pic shows a beautiful face. The Hooters shirts highlight beautiful, um, you get the idea. I really don’t think it’s a fair comparison unless you subscribe to Islamic standards of modesty.

jwolf on February 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Ed is speaking on a Cruise ship!!! Scandal!! Get on it, allahpundit! This is an outrage!! He can’t possibly be a real conservative if he is speaking at an Event that costs several hundred dollars!!!

Let me guess, Erick Erickson is also speaking at the cruise, and for a few hundred more dollars, you can get your photo taken with Erick, am I right?

james23 on February 18, 2010 at 11:24 AM

No thanks…

Squid Shark on February 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM

The difference being that there is substance behind Rubio. The filthy lying coward is nothing but an empty suit who was the affirmative action candidate. That’s right, I said it. Obama is only in office because he’s black and ran against a curmudgeon who thought he could win with an Obama-lite platform.

highhopes on February 18, 2010 at 12:38 PM

The difference being that there is substance behind Rubio.

How so? What about Rubio’s record indicates he is anything but another pig at Talahassee’s trough?

I will wait, as always, for this mythical record of conservative achievement to appear.

Squid Shark on February 18, 2010 at 1:24 PM

jwolf on February 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM

The point is, Ed sneers at exploiting female sexuality. Until Ed wants to exploit female sexuality.

That point, was, sadly, apparently somewhere over your head. LOL

Also, I am puzzled by your suggestion that I subscribe to Islamic standards of modesty. Ummm…..I was the one who was defending Hooters.
___________

RJGatorEsq. on February 18, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Crist should be toast.

Reality Check on February 18, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Pretty sure that pic is Lila Rose…

pretty girl (I googled her); too bad that pic makes her look like Britney

urbancenturion on February 19, 2010 at 2:20 AM