Aw: Scott Brown finally admits that he’s a Republican

posted at 6:01 pm on February 18, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Greg Hengler. The R-word was, of course, not one that lightly escaped his lips during the race with Coakley for fear of irritating GOP-hating Massachusetts indies whose votes he needed. Today, as you’ll see, he finally came out of the closet. In fact, it sounded so nice he said it twice, and got a nice reaction for doing so — even though, in this year of all years, CPAC’s supposed to be less about being a Republican and more about being a principled tea-party conservative. Ah well. Charm goes a long way.

He was there to introduce Romney, who, alas, had to follow not only Scotty B but Rubio and Darth Cheney as well. Follow the link to Hengler to watch Mitt’s speech or read the transcript at the Corner. Some nice digs in there at Captain B+ and his penchant for blaming all the world’s sorrows on George Bush.

Comments

He also said Romney was Republican light.

promachus on February 18, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I guess John McCain’s invite to CPAC got lost in the mail…

Seven Percent Solution on February 18, 2010 at 6:07 PM

OT breaking news
five men arrested (taken into custody) at Fort Jackson for attempting topoison the food. The five are part of an Arabic translation team.

elclynn on February 18, 2010 at 6:08 PM

OT breaking news

elclynn on February 18, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Source please.

petunia on February 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM

It seemed to me that it was all about Scott Brown. Hmmm…. sounds familiar. Did you hear that the plane crash in Austin was about him too?

rslancer14 on February 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM

brown was good there

ousoonerfan15 on February 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM

elclynn on February 18, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Heard it. This is getting scary people.

freeus on February 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Brown says he’s a Republican………and Romney speaks…….

……YAWN!!!

PappyD61 on February 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Just on Brett’s show with Catherine Herridge on Fox petunia

freeus on February 18, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Romney is teh phoney.

pseudonominus on February 18, 2010 at 6:12 PM

The five are part of an Arabic translation team.

elclynn on February 18, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Isolated extremists.

pseudonominus on February 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Now if only Obama will admit he’s a Marxist.

darwin on February 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I guess John McCain’s invite to CPAC got lost in the mail…

Seven Percent Solution on February 18, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Or maybe since Palin refused to go, he thought he would too.

This morning on the Bill Bennett radio show a man called in and said that if he had to choose between Brown and Coakley, he would not vote. Brown is not pro life enough for him so he would just have to sit it out.

Bennett disagreed and made the point that even Reagan said if a guy agrees with me 80% of the time, that makes him an ally. I think Bennett was right about that.

Terrye on February 18, 2010 at 6:14 PM

OT breaking news

All I see is tweets repeating that, no news feeds. Some say it comes from Fox News, but nothing on their web site. There’s a good chance this is BS.

elfman on February 18, 2010 at 6:17 PM

[saunters in, looks around]

Is the blatant atheism washed out of the drapes here yet?

Hey, I just heard Michael Steele on Hannity’s show whilst driving across the beautiful Tennessee countryside. He’s actually sounding like he’s coming around to the program, willing to meet with the Tea Party sorts again.

One thing I liked: he said the National Republican party can’t mess around with the local primary elections. There’s the role of the Tea Partiers!

Slap the dawg shit out of candidates who are RINOS at the primary level; be the enforcers if you will.

(If Steele continues to improve, what’s wrong with a Steele-Rice ticket in 2012?)

Serr8d on February 18, 2010 at 6:22 PM

It’s scrolling across the bottom of Fox News.

silvernana on February 18, 2010 at 6:22 PM

elfman on February 18, 2010 at 6:17 PM

It just broke in the last 90 minutes. I saw the report on Fox with Brett. He had Catherine Herridge on with him. This is not B.S.

freeus on February 18, 2010 at 6:24 PM

You can hear that Marco Rubio has a bit better feel for conservative sensibilities than Scott Brown.

But Scott will always be a towering hero, no matter what happens in the future.

notagool on February 18, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I am happy with Scott Brown’s creds. Whattya’ expect, he from freakin’ MassachusettEs!

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2010 at 6:28 PM

This article was a wee bit too snarky, even for you, Allah. Scott Brown didn’t have to admit he was a Republican. Everyone already knew. Even the Republican-hating Massachusetts indies who went into the booth and saw Scott’s name with an (R) next to it and voted for him anyway.

joejm65 on February 18, 2010 at 6:28 PM

OT with regard to the Ft. Jackson poisoning–this is all I’m able to find in terms of article.

CBN Exclusive: Five Muslim Soldiers Arrested at Fort Jackson in South Carolina

CBN News has learned exclusively that five Muslim soldiers at Fort Jackson in South Carolina were arrested just before Christmas and are in custody. The five men were part of the Arabic Translation program at the base.

The men are suspected of trying to poison the food supply at Fort Jackson.

A source with intimate knowledge of the investigation, which is ongoing, told CBN News investigators suspect the “Fort Jackson Five” may have been in contact with the group of five Washington, DC area Muslims that traveled to Pakistan to wage jihad against U.S. troops in December. That group was arrested by Pakistani authorities, also just before Christmas.

Coming as it does on the heels of November’s Fort Hood jihadist massacre, this news has major implications.

Looks like it’s an incident that happened in December, just after the underpants bomber that they covered up.

Enoxo on February 18, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Enoxo on February 18, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Strike that, the group that was arrested in Chritmas was another group. The Fort Jackson Five were just arrested today. That CBN article has bad writing.

Enoxo on February 18, 2010 at 6:32 PM

OT breaking news

elfman on February 18, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Or still too early for good info.

If it was on Fox there is more than tweets… it doesn’t mean it’s not true…

I suppose I could turn on the TV… I’m weary of bad news and my husband is flying today and all I care about it that there isn’t a bomb at the two small airports he is using today…

The bomb scare on United is scary.

petunia on February 18, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Art Laffer was on with Cavuto and he thinks Brown is “like Reagan”, and could be POTUS material. If we had avatars I would insert an eye rolling one here. I love Art and think he is a genius, but come on! Already? If that is the case, then I vote for Rubbio over Brown in the potential POTUS nominations. It would be nice if we did not elect another senator to the Presidency. Well, other than DeMint.

freeus on February 18, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Brown was on Cavuto today and did a great job. He isn’t falling for Barry’s Deficit Commission and said that waiting for a report to come out on December 1st instead of cutting spending now is an idiotic approach to solving the problem.

Buy Danish on February 18, 2010 at 6:36 PM

joejm65 on February 18, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Ohhhhh yeah this thread is about Scott Brown. I saw him today and thought it was nice he introduced Mitt…

But afterwards I realized he was distancing himself from the introduction… if I were Mitt I’d be a bit miffed.

He said Mitt was the biggest reason he has won his elections… blah blah blah… wouldn’t commit to get behind Mitt if he runs, blah blah blah…. and didn’t stay to hear Mitt’s speech!

Come on! You make it to the Senate because Mitt Romney backs you for years, encourages you, helps you figure out exactly when the time is right, comes through with the money and machine to get you elected…and you don’t even listen to his whole speech? And you make sure America knows you didn’t listen to the whole speech! That is trying to have it both ways…

He was clearly saying he owes Mitt alot but Mitt can’t expect Scott to back him when Mitt needs it. That is pretty low. I don’t know about this guy. Seems a little like a career politician to me.

Other than that… Scott sounded smarter than most.

petunia on February 18, 2010 at 6:42 PM

NYT gargles with a lemon, covers Scott Brown (R, Kennedy) at CPAC. NYT “sneer” quotes Obamacare as “Obamacare”. http://nyti.ms/bXV9p7

Serr8d on February 18, 2010 at 6:43 PM

freeus on February 18, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Yes, please!

PrincipledPilgrim on February 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM

joejm65 on February 18, 2010 at 6:28 PM

He’s just an idiot. He has no idea how Scott ran or why he won. He’s mind is poisoned by all the Leftist drivel he reads constantly. Anybody who thinks Scott ran from being a Republican is simply ignorant.

TheBigOldDog on February 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Serr8d on February 18, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I don’t trust people who “come around” because they can see they are currently on the losing side–they are not principled. I had hopes for both Rice and Steele, and found them wanting in the area of core principles.

DrMagnolias on February 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Sounds to me that he is emphasizing “Republican” because of the unlikelihood of one winning in Massachusetts. Not that he is one, or emphasizing that he is one.

Vigilante on February 18, 2010 at 6:47 PM

It is so great to have a REPUBLICAN Senator from Massachusetts!!!!

As a former resident of Massachusetts, I know what a miracle this is!

Thank you Scott Brown and everybody who helped on his campaign (in person or online) for proving that miracles do happen!!!

wren on February 18, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Now if only Obama will admit he’s a Marxist.

darwin on February 18, 2010 at 6:13 PM

There’s no reason he should, since he’s not. He’s a Progressive. While there is an overlap, the latter is much more vile, much more dangerous in America.

An open Marxist doesn’t get very far, very long in this country outside the university. Progressives can – and have – infiltrate everything… with the results now obvious to just about everyone. (What will be done about them remains to be seen.)

JDPerren on February 18, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Very good speech by Romney. Too soon to tell, but he may be my guy in ’12.

jaime on February 18, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Scott Brown sure sounded like a Republican when he campaigned in Massachusetts on opposing the Democrat healthcare bill and joining Republicans as the 41st vote. Since when did AP start parroting DNC talking points?

chunderroad on February 18, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Dr Magnolias, that’s wrong-headed thinking I’m thinking.

Every night when you go to bed, you wake up a (slightly) changed person. Over the day, weeks, months, years, you find these incremental changes add up to a newer, and yes, different person.

Mr. Steele has seen quite a sea change over the past few months. We all have. We all have to take into account new information, and manipulate it in new ways. We can’t just discount a person forever because once we didn’t like their stances; they can change. We expect that, and we encourage the changes we like.

(Unless you expect everyone you know to forever be a statue made of salt or something.)

I’ll give Mr. Steele a chance to speak, I’ll listen to what he has to say, and we’ll go from there. Mr. Steele might very well be better suited to run than the one I supported just a few weeks ago, f’rinstance.

We’ll see.

Serr8d on February 18, 2010 at 7:04 PM

petunia on February 18, 2010 at 6:42 PM

I dont’ know? After hearing Romney on Laura Ingrams show, espousing to the need for health insurance mandates…I’m not sure I like Romneys politics. I think he’s a good man, but his policies, don’t jive to well with conservatism.

capejasmine on February 18, 2010 at 7:11 PM

JDPerren on February 18, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I have to respectfully disagree here. Progressive was a word chosen to replace socialist. To liberals, I think they believe it sounds better, and people take it better.

They’re so stuck up each others elitist behinds, they can’t see we already see thru their b.s.

capejasmine on February 18, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Serr8d on February 18, 2010 at 7:04 PM

You are more optimistic than I in this regard (I tend to be an optimist, but not about this). I generally don’t think that people have great changes in principles once they reach their 30s, and especially not in their 50s, as Steele is. My principles haven’t changed a bit in quite some time. Now, I’ll agree that we may change our ideas about how we should accomplish what we want–some believe that compromise gets us where we want to be bit by bit, while others think that compromise is something like death by a thousand paper cuts. But the ultimate goal, certainly for me, is to return to the Constitutional government our Founders created. I don’t believe Steele really shares that goal.

DrMagnolias on February 18, 2010 at 7:15 PM

petunia on February 18, 2010 at 6:42 PM

capejasmine on February 18, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I don’t know if I’ll be for Mitt again. I think it takes so much energy to defend Mormonism and there are so many pressing problems that we don’t want to get politics sidetracked into religious debate all the time. We just don’t have time for it.

I am a Mormon in case you didn’t know.

I think Mitt is good. I think his skill set is perfect for our troubled financial times… but like I said, he may never get around to doing anything but defending his religion, and as important that is too me personally, I don’t want to blow the opportunity to really fix the government! Politics and religion really should be separate!

I think Mitt should try to help behind the scenes… I don’t like that it is impossible to know who doesn’t like his politics, and who just will never trust a Mormon. I certainly can’t tell the difference, although I’m pretty sure I know what Huck is made of…

At any rate. I haven’t found my canidate for 2012. Nor do I feel I should yet.

I just thought–Scott Brown in a very sneaky way, distanced himself from Mitt, while at the same time credited him with his own sucess.

That was masterful politics.

So masterful in fact, that it makes me shudder… and look at him a bit differently.

I am not sure if it is respect or fear. Respect for the skill but fear for the power it gives him.

Maybe I just like clunky politicians. Because they are safer.

petunia on February 18, 2010 at 7:42 PM

capejasmine on February 18, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I didn’t mean to imply that your doubts about Romneycare in any way had to do with Mormonism. I didn’t make that clear.

I think Mitt should appoligize for how Romneycare turned out. I think it was a valid experiment in a very liberal state that was going to get some kind of universal healthcare one way or another. I think Romeny tried to make it as capitalist as he could. It didn’t worked.

But then a lot of Mass still thinks it did work. At least it was on the state level and not the national level. I don’t have nearly as much problem with a state doing something and seeing if it works.

petunia on February 18, 2010 at 7:48 PM

DrMagnolias on February 18, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Aww but I believe in converts… at heart most Republicans want to stick to the constitution they just realize how far we are from it and think it will never happen so they compromise.

petunia on February 18, 2010 at 7:49 PM

4-4-present

Ronnie on February 18, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I agree. While I didn’t hear the speech, as I’m limited on use with my ISP, I can’t watch every video, so I can’t base an opinion on what he said. I just got a feeling that they differ on certain issues, and that may have played a part in the attitude Brown had? *shrugs*

capejasmine on February 18, 2010 at 7:50 PM

DrMagnolias

Heh. I know I’ve changed quite a bit over the years (my first vote for Pres. was for Carter) and I do believe that politicians have to have a knack for compromise and…quick changes, as their very nature. It might be genetic.

Mr. Steele is right this minute the RNC Chair; he’s met with the Tea Party (read: the Constitutional Party) and he’s talking the talk that is inclusive to their (our)(The Tea Party) positions. We must CHANGE the Republican party, because we know that there is no hope ever for a 3rd party system in our current form of gov’t, so to get this needed CHANGE we have to hope that we can get people like Mr. Steele to bend. Or melt. Or, if not, to get out of the way.

He did point out today in the interview I heard that he is supportive of the Tea Party’s goals. Sean Hannity was applying the fire, enough to bend the Steele.

But I would not be averse to running Steele-Rice; if such a thing could be doable, if he is correctly molded, I would welcome the chance to vote for them. Faster even than I voted for John McCain (who is more an example of your point about never-changing-ever I think than Mr. Steele. Plus he is very, very old. Did I mention he was old?).

Serr8d on February 18, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Plus he is very, very old. Did I mention he was old?).

Serr8d on February 18, 2010 at 8:17 PM

LOL

I appreciate your optimism. I wish I shared it. I hope you win. :)

DrMagnolias on February 18, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Mitt Romney’s speech at CPAC 2010 is quite solid and it affirms conservative principles in fundamental ways.

Whole speech is here: http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=N2QwNzY3NjFlMmI4MjQ3YWNjOTk1ZTVlYzY1ZTUyZWM=

onlineanalyst on February 18, 2010 at 8:26 PM

is it possible that we may be seeing a complete Massachusetts ticket?
On the REPUBLICAN side?

hmmmm…

Handel on February 18, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Sorry, AllahP, I didn’t read your post with the link to Romney’s speech before I posted it.

I urge all of those who are skeptical of Romney to read that speech and point out where you disagree with his points. I think that Romney, like Brown, is focused more on fiscal responsibility and restraint, about creating opportunities to restart the engine of our economy by limiting federal government intrusion.

Romney does make a passing reference to health (insurance) care, but both he and Brown emphasize that addressing insurance issues belongs to the state. In MA, it was the Dems in Romney’s legislature who “doctored” the framework of the plan, making it expensive and unwieldy.

After Steele’s recent, lengthy meetup with TEA party activists, he admitted that the national party should not be choosing candidates for primaries, but that the choice belongs to the voters. I think that Steele is learning. One of his assets as the party leader is that he is attempting to reach urban voters, especially those who have not traditionally pulled the “R” in the voting booth.

onlineanalyst on February 18, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Serr8d on February 18, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Wow you were really impressed with Steele on Hanity today huh? I heard the interview and agree Steele sounded really impressive. He has a broad knowlege base on the issues of the day and gave great alternatived to Dem solutions of our problems. Anyway I like Steel since he ran for the senate. He sounded like candidate Steele today . Could he be planning a run ?

sonnyspats1 on February 18, 2010 at 10:09 PM

LOL!

5:39

“Republican Lite” That Freudian-slip has to be the highlight of the speech.

The John McLame reference didn’t help much at all.

shorebird on February 19, 2010 at 3:02 AM

Terrye on February 18, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I agree with Bennett. My problems is that so many times, the Republicans have tried to force me to choose between one candidate that I agree with 30% of the time, and one that I agree with 35% of the time.

MarkTheGreat on February 19, 2010 at 8:18 AM

So, the speech of the frontrunner for the republican nomination couldn’t have his own space in Hot Air but every gossip on Sarahtard get one?…weird.

Falz on February 19, 2010 at 8:28 AM