Video: Palin responds to “Family Guy” on the Factor

posted at 10:00 pm on February 16, 2010 by Allahpundit

A complement to this morning’s Facebook post. Even some lefties are taking her side on this one, but the Anchoress counters with an intriguing question: Did Sarahcuda miss an opportunity here?

Family Guy represented Chris’ date as having the common sense, social awareness and self-confidence than the (so-called) “normal” character lacked. The character says her mother is the Governor of Alaska. So?

What exactly is the victimization, here? The Down Syndrome character was respectfully rendered; the Governor of Alaska is the mother of a Down Syndrome child. By reacting as she has, all Palin has done is helped reinforce a notion that she is brittle and defensive and not-unwilling to play the victim card on behalf of Trig, who — she has admirably said, herself — is perfect, beautiful and will be participating in life and athletics and everyday challenges like everyone, and will be lucky enough to do it with a proud, loving and supportive family…

Were I Palin, I would have taken this cartoon in the best possible spirit: (regardless of how I thought it was meant) and commented:

It was gratifying to see Family Guy depict people with Down Syndrome as functional, social, courteous, outgoing and independent, and I was so glad to see it. In an era where the word “retard” gets thoughtlessly thrown around by even the most “sophisticated” of people, and when so many in the medical community are so quick to recommend aborting babies that are correctly (or sometimes incorrectly) diagnosed with Down Syndrome, my family and I so are grateful to the producers of The Family Guy; they had the insightfulness and generosity of spirit to help normalize the notion of what it means to live with Down Syndrome, and how full any life can be, even when the definition of “ordinary” becomes a little changed. While my family was not specifically named in that episode, we are proud to be associated with it.

A clever retort, although I can’t blame Palin for opening fire on a show that once implicitly compared her to a Nazi. Exit question: Did she drop the ball here or was a little outrageous outrage perfectly appropriate?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I’ll wait for next weeks show were Chris dates a black chick and she says “My dad is the POTUS and he was punished with a baby..”……..we’ll see if that airs.

Caper29 on February 17, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Wow. The same network that promotes Palin airs a crappy cartoon episode that takes a potshot at her kid?

This whole kerfuffle would be more amusing if it wasn’t for the blatant hypocrisy. Make up your freaking mind, Fox! For or against?

Dark-Star on February 17, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Only Republicans can say the R-word. Didn’t the Family Guy writers know that?

Decider on February 17, 2010 at 11:10 AM

She should let the advocacy groups speak out and focus on building her brand. Which seems to faltering these days.

unrealcitizen on February 16, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I guess you mean the advocacy groups who have been so successful in convincing people that mocking their community is in bad taste? The groups that are so effective that even here far too many people think it is no big deal and family members who find it offensive should just “lighten up and grow thicker skin? /s

Apparently many of you want her to stop being the genuine person her supporters applaud her for being and become just another shallow politician who knows when to pander and how to sell out for votes.

I’m waiting for reaction from the Left and Obama the first time someone calls his girls “little nappy heads.”

katiejane on February 17, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Fg sucks to high heaven

They are also trying to keep SP commenting on garbage instead of policy because she hurts them when she does

the left are generally scum

Sonosam on February 17, 2010 at 11:41 AM

katiejane on February 17, 2010 at 11:36 AM

I love how you are convinced that that would be the equivalent of what happened here…

Squid Shark on February 17, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Squid Shark on February 17, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Are you saying that slurs against someone based on race are so much more offensive than those based on disability? Care to explain why?

katiejane on February 17, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Squid Shark on February 17, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Actually, it would be far worse.

For all the similarities the left and right have, I must say that while the ‘tea parties’ wouldn’t scare me unless I was an elected official, the protests put together by the rabid left would have me wishing I could afford a shotgun.

Dark-Star on February 17, 2010 at 11:54 AM

katiejane on February 17, 2010 at 11:45 AM

How were downs syndrome people slurred in this episode except the implication that some of them might not be nice people…

Explain that to me, and I will accept that what happened here is the same as making a racist comment about Obama;s kids.

Squid Shark on February 17, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I was offended and got angry at Bill O’Reilly when he was talking about the birthers. He was feeding into the left-wing talking points about how nutty some of these people are. Sarah Palin would have none of it and did her best to refute this idea. Bill kept pushing it and she kept speaking out, and I was impressed with how she came back at him. Curious to know if anyone else felt the same as me. Bill O’Reilly has changed so that I hardly watch him anymore. He tries to be so “fair and balanced” that any time he talks about the left, he also says the right does the same. I know he is trying to grow his audience of independents and lefties by doing this, but I believe he has lost what drew me to watch him from the very beginning.

silvernana on February 17, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Squid Shark on February 17, 2010 at 12:03 PM

How’s that obtuseness working out for you?

Yoop on February 17, 2010 at 12:17 PM

It’s – a – cartoon.

Boxy_Brown on February 17, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Squid Shark on February 17, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Can you explain why calling a black child’s hair nappy is a racial slur? A definition of nappy is “kinky” Do you dispute that many blacks have kinky hair?

If you’re finding that a racial slur it’s because you’re looking behind the actual words and considering the intent – and feel that the intent is to diminish/insult. The same thing applies to how the girl with DS was portrayed – as the butt of a joke and specifically the butt of a Palin joke. If the FG skit had involved a black girl and the boy had referred to her hair that way would you have thought it a racial insult – even if they did nothing more than show her as perhaps “not very nice?”

It is a stereotype and offensive to broadbrush any group of people based on characteristics/traits such as race, disability, gender etc. Just because it doesn’t apply to YOU doesn’t mean others can’t/won’t find it offensive to be the butt of the joke.

katiejane on February 17, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I love how Palinistas turn into the identity politics whores when is suits them.

Hypocrites.

Squid Shark on February 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Explain that to me, and I will accept that what happened here is the same as making a racist comment about Obama’s kids.

Squid Shark on February 17, 2010 at 12:03 PM

“Nappy-headed hoes” is racist AND sexist. “Whore” is sexist. Making “retard” jokes at the expense of a special needs baby is absolutely disgusting. If that needs explained to you, then you haven’t a shred of humanity yourself and are a fine one to call other people names.

chunderroad on February 17, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Depends on the context. In this case, the mere mention is cause for offense.

Squid Shark on February 17, 2010 at 10:36 AM

No, children are off limits. Period. That was the point.

chunderroad on February 17, 2010 at 12:51 PM

chunderroad on February 17, 2010 at 12:47 PM

You and your compatriots are correct, I considered the intent of the episode, I concluded that there was no intent to “broadbrush” DS people.

If you can tell me how DS people in general or Trig in particular were slandered in this episode, I will retract.

Squid Shark on February 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM

You only understand her reaction if you have a special needs child. Take your typical mama bear response of your typical mother, and then double down hard until you have a fireball inside your belly. That is what she lives with every day. You DO NOT attack her child, or the fireball erupts. I am glad that Sarah fights like this- it helps everyday moms with special needs kids stand up to the state schools who try to keep them in confining situations. Go Sarah.

Kristamatic on February 17, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Allah…

You complement her Facebook article, but don’t quote from it (and I can’t read it because Facebook is blocked at work).

But then you cite a blog about a missed opportunity and quote paragraphs from a blogger I’ve never heard of.

Basic communication etiquette… if you’re going to quote a response, please quote the original so that we can view the response in context. Without context, the response is worthless, and you just seem like a biased hack. HotAir is a quality site, and your posts should reflect that quality.

dominigan on February 17, 2010 at 1:09 PM

silvernana… I agree with you… Can’t stand BOR… And yes, Sarah has his number and held her own as usual… I’m convinced that Soros or Obama have pictures, videos or email of BOR… He has changed… Started about two tears ago I think…

CCRWM on February 17, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Does anyone disagree that there are two “normal” characters in the Griffin family, and one of them is a dog? (The other is Lois, the mother.)
Repurblican on February 16, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Err… Brian the dog has “relations” with humans and Lois is not “normal.”

Nothing about that show is normal – not that there’s anything wrong with that.

MeatHeadinCA on February 16, 2010 at 10:24 PM

The mother is the mother, and the daughter is the daughter, but the dog is the father, the father is the teen age son, the teen age son is the family pet, and the baby is really the crazy old grandpa (with crazy mechanical skills).

Count to 10 on February 17, 2010 at 1:46 PM

It seems you are asking if the cliche ‘there is no such thing as bad publicity’ applies to the invisible to msm special needs community? As long as they spell your name right!? I don’t believe subjecting the special needs community to celebutard media status is healthy for anyone involved. Let’s not forget that currently 1 in 150 children in America are autistic. That is a considerable voting block.

I want to know where Cindy McCain is. She has a special education employment background, and special needs medical charity creation to the point of adopting a child who benefited from her medical charity. However, Cindy, and her daughter, have taken all of their post-election media stature and lent it to… pro same sex marriage.

I think the real question is, did Cindy McCain miss an opportunity to show her support for Sarah Palin? After all, who is campaigning for whom now?

FeFe on February 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Squid Shark on February 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM

This episode specifically has a DS character and mentions the child of the Governor of Alaska, who has a DS child Trig. Can you name another Governor of Alaska (who bears a resemblance to the cartoon DS person, btw) with a special needs child?

chunderroad on February 17, 2010 at 2:17 PM

with a special needs child?

chunderroad on February 17, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Ok, so the mention a fact, and then proceeds to make the point of the episode, that DS people are just like the rest of us…

So the mere mentioning of DS is offensive?

Squid Shark on February 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM

So the mere mentioning of DS is offensive?

Squid Shark on February 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM

The episode was taking a cheap shot at Palin and her family including her special needs child. There was no message even close to your sugar-coated version. It was crude and stupid. You asked where DS children or Trig were slandered. That is your answer. Now apologize.

chunderroad on February 17, 2010 at 5:35 PM

chunderroad on February 17, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Please, explain how, tell me how DS people were slandered, tell me how Sarah Palins son was slandered. Give me a quote, quote, any quote that portrays DS people in a bad light.

I will not apologize until you actually show me anything in that episode that slandered Sarah Palins child. I am not sugar coating it, that was the point of the episode, they even said it specifically at the end.

Squid Shark on February 17, 2010 at 5:38 PM