Too good to check: No-name lefty candidate may sneak in as Dems’ Indiana Senate nominee

posted at 5:29 pm on February 15, 2010 by Allahpundit

Remember that last-minute filing deadline that Ed talked about this morning, how Indiana Democrats would be forced to go through a caucus process because no one qualified for the ballot in time? Well, “no one” is on the verge of becoming someone.

Red State’s got the right idea. She claims she needs 500 signatures by tomorrow, especially from the 8th District, although she’d feel safer with 1,000. If you’re a conservative Hoosier and you get a knock on the door, you know what to do.

It would be something close to a nightmare scenario for Democrats: were [Tamyra] D’Ippolito to qualify for the ballot, she would be the likely nominee and the party would be left to face the GOP with a political neophyte who said she is running in part to take on a party establishment she said practices “sexism with a big S.”

It’s precisely what Bayh had hoped to avoid. By disclosing his retirement one day before the filing deadline, the idea was that no Democrat would qualify for the primary ballot and the party’s state central committee could tap their favored candidate…

“This would be a complete and unmitigated disaster,” said a leading Democrat in the state. “We’d be up sh—’s creek.”…

She said she was committed to the race in part because she was sick of the male-dominated Democratic Party in the state.

“It’s very much an old boys club in Indiana and I’m out to break it,” she said.

She tells TPM that the state party is working against her, which is undoubtedly true and will be even truer now. But don’t lose hope. Remember, Harry Reid initially vowed to block Roland Burris’s appointment by Blagojevich until the race card was dutifully played by Burris’s supporters, leading to the inevitable reversal in the name of diversity. Sounds like D’Ippolito’s already got her own identity-politics ducks in a row, so if anything underhanded is tried to disqualify her, this is going to turn into one glorious clusterfark. Cross them fingers.

Here’s her campaign Facebook page. She says she’ll be collecting signatures tonight at someplace called Ragazzi’s. Hop to it, Hot Air Indianans!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Somebody please tell Pedestrian This is exactly the type of Dem candidate we’re looking for.

alwyr on February 15, 2010 at 6:12 PM

That quote is from the comment section of a left wing blog. The D’Ipp is too flaky even for them.

pedestrian on February 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM

79.1% of Indiana is either conservative or moderate ideologically. I don’t see Ms. “Food Not Bombs!” going over well.

amerpundit on February 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I’m having a Popcorn crisis!

TN Mom on February 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM

The dem’s picked our last presidential candidate.
Time for us to return the favor. Lets help them pick all
their folks running for any office.

dragondrop on February 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM

amerpundit on February 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Hmmph. Evan Bayh’s parting shot.

ted c on February 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM

what’s the intrade up to on popcorn these days/? gotta be on the rocket ride.

ted c on February 15, 2010 at 6:19 PM

It bears repeating: she has 173 fans on facebook.

tru2tx on February 15, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Roger that … but if she gets the signatures – she’s going to be the best known new political face in Indiana – overnight.

I don’t know her – maybe she’s a whacko … and hopefully she is but …

If she can pull off a reasonable semi-conservative campaign and demonstrate grassroots support … she could be a player here.

HondaV65 on February 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I’ve been a Hoosier all my 51 years on this planet, and I’ve never heard anyone say the word “Indianan”.

a quick google search shows me I must have lead a sheltered life and that it is indeed a real word, but no self respecting Hoosier would ever use that word with a straight face.

Let’s not make a habit of it… ;-)

moflicky on February 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I’m having a Popcorn crisis!

TN Mom on February 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Orville Reddenbacher’s is from Indiana.

thomasaur on February 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM

honda, are you talking about the Sexism candidate?

kelley in virginia on February 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM

amerpundit on February 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM

awesome – I feel better now. :)

HondaV65 on February 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM

now if Virginia’s SEnators Warner &/or (preferably both) would quit. wouldn’t that be sweet!

kelley in virginia on February 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM

When the Dems see what d’Ippolito stands for, they’ll pull a double-reverse Torricelli (a la Joyzee) and convince Bayh to unretire. After all, Bayh is a lot younger than Frank Lautenberg.

Steve Z on February 15, 2010 at 6:24 PM

The sound of Democrat sphincters slamming shut around the country is deafening.

ted c on February 15, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Isn’t this woman from Bloomington? If so, she should have those thousand signatures before I’m done writing this comment. Bloomington is a mind-numbingly liberal town thanks in large part to the I.U. campus.

-Cnation

Cnation on February 15, 2010 at 6:28 PM

When the Dems see what d’Ippolito stands for

In Italian, D’Ippolito means “moonbat.”

Emperor Norton on February 15, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Seems to me the best way to avoid this would have been to announce his retirement the day AFTER the filing deadline.

ProfessorMiao on February 15, 2010 at 6:33 PM

is bayh’s plan backfiring?hehe

ted c on February 15, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Pedestrian: My apologies!

alwyr on February 15, 2010 at 6:36 PM

The One said.It,s all falling apart wiping the tears back. Were did i go wrong?They used to love me after all i am the chosen one.I know i will give another speech to a joint session to Congress.Then Chris will get that thrill up his leg back.

thmcbb on February 15, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Hey, as far as I’m concerned, that hair is reason enough to put the m’oonbat on the ballot.

JEM on February 15, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Go for it, honey. Bout time us gals got our chance. Right on!

Kissmygrits on February 15, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Crap!! I drive right by Ragazzi on the way home from work! I could have stopped in and signed!! She has a very Bloomingtonian personal narrative, one that would be exciting for anyone near the epicenter of Indiana Liberalism, I.U.
I am willing to bet she is a nice person, well intentioned, and I am sure we have common friends. I would never vote for her though, LOL!!!
The closer you get to the city limits and beyond, into normal Hoosier territory, the harder her sell will become. God I hope she sneaks in, making Coates’ election a cakewalk.

RudeMechanic on February 15, 2010 at 6:41 PM

If I were her, I’d be on the lookout for big, black SUVs. They seem to be everywhere, these days.

OldEnglish on February 15, 2010 at 6:42 PM

step 1) Get her to be the Democratic nominee.
step 2) Have Obama stump for her.

Game over.

tommer74 on February 15, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I hope you Hoosiers get her on the ballot! I’d drive 3 hours each way to sign her petition if I was in Hoosierville.

Tim Burton on February 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM

ok, please explain which person is Tamyra.. the one pictured on her facebook profile pic, or the one pictured on her web page.

vermillionsky on February 15, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Score! My grandma’s printing out the petition right now to get d’Ippolito elected. She’s gonna run it over to my aunt/uncle’s house and have them sign it too.

nickj116 on February 15, 2010 at 6:55 PM

From David Freddoso:

Hoosiers who would like to help d’Ippolito can print out this petition document, have the entire family sign it, and then drop it off at your county registrar’s office by noon tomorrow. Better still, take it to the bar tonight and have everyone there sign it, too. Indiana does not have party registration, so any registered voter’s signature is valid.

You don’t have to sign her specific petition.

nickj116 on February 15, 2010 at 6:56 PM

nickj116 on February 15, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Oh, this gets better every minute!

Tim Burton on February 15, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Help herrrrrrrrrrrr!

conservador on February 15, 2010 at 7:04 PM

vermillionsky on February 15, 2010 at 6:53 PM

They are the same – the Facebook pic is from the 80′s. I’m sure she is just trying to ‘reconnect’ with her high school friends.

Sporty1946 on February 15, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Lefty politics aside, the fact that she’s a small business owner and political outsider make her infinitely better qualified for office than anybody the democratic machine might choose. I wouldn’t vote for her, but I do give her credit for having the gumption to “go rogue” on her own party.

vermillionsky on February 15, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Every red-blooded female Hoosier in the area needs to print out a form for holding signatures, get a really good seat at Ragazzi’s, and make sure everyone signs your form. Then, upon reaching home, fire up the shredder.

If ACORN can do it, why can’t we?

unclesmrgol on February 15, 2010 at 7:05 PM

They are the same – the Facebook pic is from the 80’s. I’m sure she is just trying to ‘reconnect’ with her high school friends.

Sporty1946 on February 15, 2010 at 7:04 PM

-like-

vermillionsky on February 15, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Republican’s in Indiana, get to Ragazzi’s and sign that thing. Bring a friend, bring your voting age family.

This could be Epic.

portlandon on February 15, 2010 at 5:34 PM

..get cousin Pookie off the couch!

VoyskaPVO on February 15, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Come on Indiana voters! Make this work. I want to go buy some pudding tomorrow!

roger wilco on February 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM

get cousin Pookie off the couch!

VoyskaPVO on February 15, 2010 at 7:07 PM

LOL!

Key West Reader on February 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM

vermillionsky on February 15, 2010 at 6:53 PM

CREEPY!

daesleeper on February 15, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Ragazzi’s is on the fringe of Btown and right now the weather isn’t so great… Better hope for a miracle!

MeatHeadinCA on February 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM

You don’t have to sign her specific petition!

Sorry, had to get people’s attention.

David Freddoso explains: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/little-known-Dem-could-ruin-Bayhs-plan-84410557.html

nickj116 on February 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM

From her campaign bio page:

In 1973, age 14, I went to the United Nations in New York City with a Christian group and listened to delegations of Palestinians and Israelis in regards to their status. We, 14 year olds, encouraged them to make peace.

Oh please, oh please, oh please get the signatures…

IU_Conservative on February 15, 2010 at 7:38 PM

up to 194 fans

Go Hoosiers

Gracelynn on February 15, 2010 at 7:49 PM

To: nickj116 at 7:33 pm

Your link solves the problem for all of those who are snowbound in Indiana today!

Thank you for giving us all hope for success in Operation Chaos!

If you are in Indiana, check the link and learn how you can help from home!

wren on February 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM

She looks sort of like the leader of the resistance movement in the original “V”. Actress: Faye Grant

SouthernGent on February 15, 2010 at 7:54 PM

It would be, on highly unlikely risk of us taking a lot of seats this year:

Republican – 50
Democrats – 48
Independents – 2

Lieberman and Sanders, while Independent, are considered part of the Democrat caucus.

Now that’s an interesting question because there were no independents in the 2001 Senate when it was tied. I think they’d go by caucus rather than party status. But if it comes down to the above, I see Lieberman jumping parties and giving Republicans majority status.

Enoxo on February 15, 2010 at 6:00 PM

It’s always by caucus, tie or no tie. The tie-breaker is Biden.

Lieberman could never be considered anythinge but a RINO, but I’d still like to have him join the team. And not just for the extra vote. The explosion on the left would be so glorious, it would be worth a 100 years of Obama just to see it. Daily Kos will get an insane amount of traffic that day just from conservatives lurking to watch the fireworks.

RINO in Name Only on February 15, 2010 at 8:06 PM

SOMEONE THROW BAMBI A LIFE PERSERVER, PREFERABLY ONE MADE OF LEAD.

bluegrass on February 15, 2010 at 8:09 PM

195 fans. Finally got on.
Go Hoosiers, get this woman on the ballot. She’s a Democrat, the attractiveness threw me but her english skills prove it.

ORconservative on February 15, 2010 at 8:13 PM

She’s an idiot. This is from her facebook page, under
Movies:

The one with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton. What was it? Something’s gotta give?????????
She couldn’t take 3 seconds to google that and find out the name?

Also, she writes a blurb about how we need more funding for education. The woman needs to take an English class, herself. I couldn’t comment on her page, but I would have….I guess I have to become a ‘fan’ to do so.
Not going there.

bridgetown on February 15, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Ooh, she’s perfect!

PatMac on February 15, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Hop to it, Hot Air Indianans!

You’re usually much better than this, AP – missed out on some great alliteration – “Hot Air Hoosiers”!

PatMac on February 15, 2010 at 8:17 PM

My bad, that is a much younger, thinner her. The modern day deal fits the english skills and the platform. Go Hoosiers.

ORconservative on February 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Hence my earlier question.
Do the signatures have to come from registered Democrats or can Republicans sign as well?

AnthonyK on February 15, 2010 at 6:06 PM

We have open primaries here, party doesn’t matter.

darwin-t on February 15, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Tamyra For Senate Breaking news I have been told Baron Hill, Congressman of the 9th District has 4,500 signatures that he is filing tomorrow at noon. I have not been able to confirm if this is true or not I am working on it at the moment. But, we will all know at noon tomorrow what the deal really is………………………looking very fishy in Indiana.

From her FB page.

Ogabe on February 15, 2010 at 8:40 PM

i’ve thought the fix was in from the start. The late announcement would prohibit Pence from getting in, but Rahmbo has plans for the Dem spot…it is wired for the Dems.

Bayh is not going to stab his party in the back like that.

r keller on February 15, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Orville Reddenbacher’s is from Indiana.

thomasaur on February 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM

LOL!

TN Mom on February 15, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Just one thing I’d like to point out. If Indiana is anything like Cincinnati they are SNOWBOUND right now. Damn I wish I had a snowblower.

RustBelt on February 15, 2010 at 9:30 PM

She has one thing going for her in Bloomington, and that is a student body that hails from all over the state, She can get the 1000 signature she needs, and probably enough from the eighth district, right there in town.

Word is the State Demo machine is out collecting signatures for Baron Hill. They might get it together by noon tomorrow.

Hill has some baggage that could be exploited by a savvy opponent. But I never heard of this woman, and Bloomington has spawned more left wing screwballs than Carter has peanuts. So who knows?

novaculus on February 15, 2010 at 9:47 PM

ALL THE KINGS HORSES
AND ALL THE KINGS MEN
COULDN’T PUT STINKY
BACK TOGETHER AGAIN

w a t e r l o o

bluegrass on February 15, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Hmmmm.

@ TN Mom

“I’m having a Popcorn crisis!”

Well don’t let that crisis got waste now!

memomachine on February 15, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Let’s not make a habit of it… ;-)

moflicky on February 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM

I’m sure a lot of Boilermakers would disagree with you there. Just because your state is called “the Hoosier State” doesn’t make everyone there a Hoosier.

rmel80 on February 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Bummer, I missed all the fun winning an ebay bid for a car part, doing laundry and talking to my fiance. I even forgot to watch 24!

aikidoka on February 16, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Operation Chaos, redux.

MarkTheGreat on February 16, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Hey, who becomes majority leader if we have a fiddy-fiddy Senate? Do they trade off?

ted c on February 15, 2010 at 5:36 PM

The VP (Biden) votes to break ties in the Senate, so if Biden is on his medicine the day of the vote, the Democrat gets it.

MarkTheGreat on February 16, 2010 at 8:01 AM

I’m off by one state.
That’s close enough for a Democrat, right?

MarkTheGreat on February 16, 2010 at 8:08 AM