Joe the Plumber: I can’t support Palin if she supports McCain

posted at 7:18 pm on February 15, 2010 by Allahpundit

Where does this fit in the great hierarchy of authenticity politics? Sarahcuda may be the most salt-of-the-earth pol on the American landscape but she’s also an internationally famous celebrity and multimillionaire. Surely a blue-collar Joe who’s been known to fix toilets outranks her. Does that mean she’s now been formally excommunicated from the church of “true conservatism” — as I suspected — or did yesterday’s NASCAR appearance imbue her with some sort of impregnable authenticity forcefield?

More importantly, does this mean Meggie Mac was right?

Wurzelbacher touched on several different points during his speech, and many of them were surprising. He said he doesn’t support Sarah Palin anymore. Why? Because she’s backing John McCain’s re-election effort. “John McCain is no public servant,” he told the room, calling the 2008 Republican nominee a career politician.

I pointed out he’d just be plain old Sam Wurzelbacher of Ohio — Joe the Plumber wouldn’t exist – without McCain. His response was blunt. “I don’t owe him s—. He really screwed my life up, is how I look at it.”…

Wurzelbacher also told the room to lay off the extreme personal attacks on President Obama. He said people who question whether Obama was born in the United States or compare him to Hitler “belittle and set back” the conservative movement. “The birthers, the truthers — if people are trying to bunch them [with tea partiers], that would kill us. That just pushes away Democrats and independents who might come out for our cause otherwise.” He said he actually likes Obama, in some ways. “I think his ideology is un-American, but he’s one of the more honest politicians. At least he told us what he wanted to do.”

A semi-related footnote: Chris Simcox, head of the Minutemen Civil Defense Corps and third-party challenger to McCain in Arizona, dropped out today and endorsed J.D. Hayworth to help unify grassroots opposition to Maverick. I’ve been skeptical that Palin would pay a price among conservatives for backing McCain since her endorsement can be chalked up to personal loyalty, but the higher profile this race becomes, the more of a litmus test it will seem — especially now that tea partiers are making inroads inside the GOP, at both the very highest and very lowest levels. Even among our own readers, who skew heavily pro-Palin, 42 percent thought she shouldn’t be out there stumping for McCain. Exit question: Time for Sarah to have a change of heart, or will her inevitable endorsement of Rubio balance the scales?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

True Conservative Battle Royale!

Which side shall take the day, Joe the Plumber or Sarah the Cuda? Stay tuned!

amerpundit on February 15, 2010 at 7:21 PM

It’s going to hinge, largely, on what arguments she makes for McCain.

Chris_Balsz on February 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM

oh gosh

this is gonna be funny

blatantblue on February 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Isn’t this like, 3 days old now? Needing a traffic boost, AP?

lansing quaker on February 15, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I love Palin and Can’t stand McCain.
I will support Sarah but I too am disappointed.

Firebird on February 15, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Joe the Plumber: I can’t support Palin if she supports McCain

And we care…why?

entropent on February 15, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I can’t support Joe-the-Plumber if he can’t support Palin. So there.

petefrt on February 15, 2010 at 7:23 PM

More importantly, does this mean Meggie Mac was right?

is this vacation pillow talk that you’re referring to?

ted c on February 15, 2010 at 7:24 PM

He also called Obama “honest.” Poor Joe’s confused, calling for help.

debg on February 15, 2010 at 7:24 PM

I won’t end my support for Palin, because the assets she brings to the table in getting the conservative message out are formidable.

But I sure don’t see how she campaigns for McCain, while a good conservative like JD Hayworth runs against him without experiencing some wincing moments of realizing that she is on the wrong side.

But alas, to some, loyalty is a strong motivator, and one cannot come down too harshly on loyalty as a quality in and of itself. One can only question the placement of the loyalty.

IronDioPriest on February 15, 2010 at 7:24 PM

It’s a free country … kinda.

darwin on February 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Hayworth is a moron… but a moron who will prevent McCain from voting for Amnesty this year…

ninjapirate on February 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Isn’t this like, 3 days old now? Needing a traffic boost, AP?

lansing quaker on February 15, 2010 at 7:23 PM

While I was thinking of a similar snarky comment, you beat me to it.

Political Junkie on February 15, 2010 at 7:25 PM

WTF?

darwin on February 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Joe thinks Obama is “honest”?

Uh huh. Great judgment, there, Joe.

atheling on February 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM

When I heard McCain mention Joe Da Plumber 1100 times during his first debate, I knew he lost it.

Speedwagon82 on February 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Well now I can never support Joe the Plumber in his future Plumbing abilities.

portlandon on February 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Heh, a Rubio endorsement may be dangerous. Interestingly her lack of endorsement of Medina (decried at the time by some here) now looks very wise.

In the end, I don’t think Joe’s view will influence many people – changing your opinion about a politician because someone else has a negative opinion is a stretch – but I don’t begrudge him for bitterness toward McCain. McCain basically turned him into a campaign phrase. Though he should begrudge Obama’s campaign team more.

The best part of it was it gave us Tito the Builder!

Spirit of 1776 on February 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM

When does his book come out?

You know it’s coming……..

Knucklehead on February 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Milk an asinine meme.

daesleeper on February 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Another words,if the McCain Mutiny Part 2,
is in the making,Joe wants no part of Capt’n
Queeg!!

canopfor on February 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM

The GhostHunter plumbers are better than Joe the Plumber anyway.

portlandon on February 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Palin campaigning for McCain over Hayworth is a legitimate issue, but seriously, who gives a shit about what Joe the Fucking Plumber says?

Godzilla on February 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM

WTF?

darwin on February 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Yeah, Obama was real truthful when he said he wanted to cut the deficit. Or that he didn’t want government-run health care. Or that he wouldn’t raise taxes on the middle class.

Joe’s delusional.

amerpundit on February 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Dear Joe … if Obama was honest, the great majority of Americans would drop what they’re doing and rush to DC to burn it down.

darwin on February 15, 2010 at 7:27 PM

I hope supporting Rubio will balance the scales. How would the spin be if she didn’t support McCain? For me personally, I would almost lose a little respect if she put a knife in the back of McCain who helped put her on the ntational stage. Even though if I where a resident of AZ i would not ,could not cast a vote for McCain. I don’t begrudge Palin for supporting McCain. This is one pass I can stomache giving her.

lwssdd on February 15, 2010 at 7:28 PM

hehehehehe this is rich

blatantblue on February 15, 2010 at 7:28 PM

He also called Obama “honest.” Poor Joe’s confused, calling for help.

debg on February 15, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Your 15 are over Joe……..

RealMc on February 15, 2010 at 7:28 PM

AP is still in the post vacation funk, groping around for Palin QOTD’s, Family Guy Palin snarks, now JTP Palin snarks. He’ll get back up to speed in a day or two. //

ted c on February 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Who gives a crap about Joe the Plumber; seriously, people.

redfoxbluestate on February 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM

His prerogative to support anyone he likes, of course.

Of course, Palin isn’t currently running for office. I hope he meant hypothetically, rather than support her stance on issues. Those should, IMO, be considered individually and on their merits.

malclave on February 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM

When does his book come out?

You know it’s coming……..

Knucklehead on February 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM

He already has a book. Joe the Plumber: Fighting for the American Dream. Goes to show how well it went over.

By the way, he’s now supposedly selling himself as a motivational speaker.

amerpundit on February 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM

hehehehehe this is rich

blatantblue on February 15, 2010 at 7:28 PM

blatantblue: Say it ain’t so Joe!!hehe:)

canopfor on February 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Or maybe it’s because Palin doesn’t sufficiently hate gay people.

It's Vintage, Duh on February 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Maybe Joe had one too many six packs

blatantblue on February 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Letterman Show producers call Joe in 3 … 2 … 1

darwin on February 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Or maybe it’s because Palin doesn’t sufficiently hate gay people.

It’s Vintage, Duh on February 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM

LOL

LOL

hahahaha

“queerz!”

blatantblue on February 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Is someone disqualified if they voted for Dole in ’96?

ddrintn on February 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

I dunno … maybe we should cut Joe some slack. He is being honest.

darwin on February 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Hey Joe . . . try supporting a cause instead of an individual.

rplat on February 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

WTF?

darwin on February 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM

I assume Wurzelbacher primarily meant the answer to his own question, where Obama indicated that he did indeed support redistribution of wealth. Obama was honest there, though that honesty was suppressed by the Obama supporters attacks on a man with the hubris to ask an honest question.

malclave on February 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

I said this yesterday and I’ll say it again. Joe sounds like someone I’d enjoy having a beer summit with.

MeatHeadinCA on February 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Dollar to donut says Palin’s support of McCain will be perfunctory. Polite, yet not enthusiastic.

petefrt on February 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM

He’s a real Control Freak Man
Ruling in what he wants to be a vassal land
Making all his controlling plans
For everybody

Doesn’t listen to an opposing point of view
Control Freak man, ruling all he thinks is his purview
Control Freak Man, he had better listen
He don’t know with what he’s messin’
Knows already just what he wants to do
Doesn’t he seem more and more like Hitler and Mussolini to you?

He’s a real Control Freak Man
Ruling in what he wants to be a vassal held land
Making all his controlling plans
For everybody

He’s as blinded by his lust for power as he can be
Just sees what he wants to see
He’s got such a God complex point of call
Control Freak Man can you even see America at all?
Knows already just what he wants to do
Doesn’t he seem more and more like Hitler and Mussolini to you?

He’s a real Control Freak Man
Ruling in what he wants to be a vassal land
Making all his controlling plans
For everybody

About Control Freak Man we should all worry
To destroy all America built he is in a hurry
If he controls everything his fascist way
It will be a forlorn day
Hes going to leave it all a mess
Anyone of sound mind must confess

He’s a real Control Freak Man
Ruling in what he wants to be a vassal land
Making all his controlling plans
For everybody

MB4 on February 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Maybe Joe’s trying to get a gig on Romney’s bandwagon.

Godzilla on February 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM

“Now, I wasn’t there, and I don’t know all the details, but from what I’ve heard, the plumber acted stupidly.”

KinleyArdal on February 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM

The one think the liberals were right about, it’s that Joe the Plumber is irrelevant.

uknowmorethanme on February 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM

imbue

???
DUDE? Your killong me.
I had to look that up.

Amadeus on February 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM

He has a point. But he should consider their relationship.

BottomLine5 on February 15, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I dunno … maybe we should cut Joe some slack. He is being honest.

darwin on February 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

But no one is criticizing him for being dishonest, they’re criticizing him for being an idiot.

Proud Rino on February 15, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Maybe Joe’s trying to get a gig on Romney’s bandwagon.

Godzilla on February 15, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Err uhh what?

MeatHeadinCA on February 15, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Speaking of the NASCAR appearance: Sarah Palin: Great Day at Daytona

Juno77 on February 15, 2010 at 7:34 PM

More importantly, does this mean Meggie Mac was right?

That is never an option.

Weight of Glory on February 15, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Maybe Joe had one too many six packs

blatantblue on February 15, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Sometimes too much to drink isn’t nearly enough.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on February 15, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Proud Rino on February 15, 2010 at 7:34 PM

No you’re criticizing him for being an idiot… yet you believe Obama is intelligent… go figure.

MeatHeadinCA on February 15, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Paraphrasing Abraham Lincoln again:

We can’t spare this woman, Joe. She fights.

Sorry to hear that her support of her former running mate is a dealbreaker for you.

Aitch748 on February 15, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Just wait for it…

“Joe the Plumber, the new media darling!”

… In other news, look who is endorsing J.D. Hayworth.

Seven Percent Solution on February 15, 2010 at 7:35 PM

By the way, he’s now supposedly selling himself as a motivational speaker.

amerpundit on February 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM

My thought is he is saying his life is screwed up from the McCain campaign picking him up for their tour. No tour no book and just a footnote. This guy doesn’t bother me as much as his inability to step out of the limelight. When someone told him he should run for Congress and he said he was thinking about it…I said WHoa there boy slow down you only accidentily got Obama to say “Spread the Wealth” it didn’t make you a government whiz kid and politcian. Sorry watching this guy I have my doubts that he is all good for conservatives.

Conan on February 15, 2010 at 7:35 PM

“Ya know, I kinda like Hitler. His ideology is hideous and genocidal, but at least he’s honest about it.” Don’t follow the logic there.

ddrintn on February 15, 2010 at 7:36 PM

^ And no, I’m not saying Obama is Hitler.

ddrintn on February 15, 2010 at 7:36 PM

I guess sewer gas can kill brain cells too.

Electrongod on February 15, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Thompson-Wurzelbacher 2012!

Bradky on February 15, 2010 at 7:37 PM

amerpundit on February 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Oh good Lord, how did I miss that??? And one of the best titles on a review over at Amazon…………

“I read it twice but still can’t figure out how to fix my toilet”

Knucklehead on February 15, 2010 at 7:37 PM

This is the only way that the media will want to talk to JTP

ted c on February 15, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Joe who? you mean the unemployed plumber trying to stay famous for more than his 15 minutes?

let me ask you this… how many people would change their minds or their vote according to what dopey joe says? maybe some of his relatives? a few more dolts? so who cares, other than our dolt phony critic – allahpundit

look, why do we have to have this phony antagonist on this site? I know that you are always supposed to have one to create some controversy and get the crowd worked up and to generate hits and comments to refute them, but this is infantile.

can’t the web site management at hotair get a better phony critic?

PhilipJames on February 15, 2010 at 7:37 PM

does this mean Meggie Mac was right?

Even if she were ever right she’d still be wrong lol

beachgirlusa on February 15, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Leave Sarah alone!!!

notagool on February 15, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Proud Rino on February 15, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Haven’t you ever heard of an honest idiot?

darwin on February 15, 2010 at 7:38 PM

AP is a phony!

harhahahahahah that’s a good one

blatantblue on February 15, 2010 at 7:38 PM

From the link:

Joe’s endorsement is apparently quite the coup. He says more than 200 politicians have asked for support this year, but so far, he’s only backed five. “I need to talk to candidates before I endorse,” he told me afterwards, explaining that his bar is pretty high. “We have a series of conversations – 20 to 30 minute conversations – and I grill them. I ask them questions about energy, education – make sure they’re straight.” Wurzelbacher says he also vets candidates online.

200 politicians seeking JTP’s endorsement? C’mon, are you sure that article wasn’t a goof?

Godzilla on February 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM

malclave on February 15, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Probably

darwin on February 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Goes to show how well it went over.

By the way, he’s now supposedly selling himself as a motivational speaker.

amerpundit on February 15, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Man, don’t take it personal or anything. He just has a different opinion.

Spirit of 1776 on February 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Also…I don’t subscribe to GBeck’s view that the country is better off because with Obama’s failures in the wide open.
If McCain where POTUS we wouldn’t be having the same problem with Iran because I feel McCain would have supported those seeking freedom. The nuclear debate would be in a very different place.
Isreal would have more support from the US then they do now.
Honduras wouldn’t be the diplomatic fiasco Obama has made it.
Unfortunatly though, I feel would would be having similar economic problems we having now because of McCains desire for bipartisinship. We may not be having the electorial success we having now because McCain would be destroying the republican’s claim to fiscal responsability. But I still the the country would be better off with McCain/Palin at the helm.

lwssdd on February 15, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Joe only gets one vote though, right?

myrenovations on February 15, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Ummm… so our Agenda will now be dictated, by a Plumber, and an Overweight child of a Carreer Politician?

Has American Politics, and punditry, hit bottom yet?

Romeo13 on February 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Palin is making a big mistake endorsing McShame, but most will let her slide (I do, for the most part). Wurzelbacher is making a huge mistake taking the “Erick Erickson, Birferer Hunter” tack, but I let him slide a bit on this, since what he did for all of us in the ’08 campaign was so important, and Joe tends to be pretty good on most topics I’ve heard him interviewed about. McShame needs to go away, finally, and allah needs to stop saying anything about that airhead daughter of the GOP killer as if she were a sentient being.

neurosculptor on February 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM

lwssdd on February 15, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Gotta break a few eggs to make a democrat-free omelet for 40+ years.

daesleeper on February 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM

my my

do i notice some condescension about being a mere “plumber”

blatantblue on February 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Who cares about Joe the Plumber. Now if Tito the Builder abandons Sarah, then it’s over for her. / s

yogi41 on February 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM

LOL…does JtP have a PAC?

ddrintn on February 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Spirit of 1776 on February 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM

No factual basis only an opinion but I think that when McCain and Obama debated and Joe the Plumber came up both of them knew McCain was in deep trouble (from their internal polling) and kept responding to Joe as some kind of light humor.

Bradky on February 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM

When will The Boss endorse JD Hayworth??? I hope she does… I dare her

conservador on February 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Says he doesn’t LIKE McShame sounds like he is McShame!

dhunter on February 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Welcome back, Allahpundit. :)

DrMagnolias on February 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Hmmm. AP back from his whale watching/speeding dating vacation?

That’s the great thing about this country~everyone has their own opinion and we can even voice it out loud.
I kind of question Sarah’s sanity for supporting the walking corpse, but, whatever.
2012 is a few years away.

HornetSting on February 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

can’t the web site management at hotair get a better phony critic?

PhilipJames on February 15, 2010 at 7:37 PM

He’s our phony and we love him.

Knucklehead on February 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

What on earth would an endorsement of Rubio mean now? It would be like endorsing Reagan right before the 48th state was called in his favor.

I am going to be neutral on the issue with McCain, I do not think anyone thinks she really supports McCain other than as a thank you for picking her for VP.

astonerii on February 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Goodbye Joe. Your 15 minutes are up.

cubachi on February 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Bradky on February 15, 2010 at 7:42 PM

If you replace humor with ‘rallying point’, then I agree. McCain was looking for something to get some momentum, and JtP speaking truth to power was something he thought he could parlay, I agree.

Spirit of 1776 on February 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Once again, Joe nails it. He’s also somewhat correct on Obama. It’s not like Obama’s philosophy or history is a secret. It was simply absurd how many people closed their eyes and ignored it, and many on both sides continue to play stupid. When I hear a conservative pundit acting confused at Obama’s actions and claiming that “it doesn’t make sense”, I immediately lose all trust and respect for that pundit. If you don’t understand what Obama’s agenda is by now, and why he makes the decisions he does, you’re either playing both sides or you’re just plain stupid.

Even more absurd, is how many conservatives are choosing to do the same thing with McCain. McCain’s progressive/socialist philosophy is not a secret either, so you have to wonder why so many so-called conservatives still worship him the same way obama zombies worship The One.

Because McCain’s progressive principles are so blatantly obvious, I can only assume that his fans are either stupid, or secretly working for both sides.

Gregor on February 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM

JTP came to the 5thCD Va to endorse one of the candidates for the Republican nomination. He told the small group gathered that he had his friend in the FBI investigate the candidate (please tell me this is still illegal). anyway, he does accept money for these endorsements.

kelley in virginia on February 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Dude….didn’t you support McCain?

crr6 on February 15, 2010 at 7:46 PM

14:59

joining Krohn shortly

blatantblue on February 15, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Palin’s between a rock and a hard place. If she doesn’t support McCain, she gets called ungrateful to the man who elevated her to the national spotlight. But if she does, she ruins her conservative street cred? Pfft. The latter’s more easily retrieved. She backed Hoffman and she’ll back Rubio. This is of no concern.

Joe the Plumber was an icon. His specific opinion is irrelevant.

Red Cloud on February 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

after McCain “discovered” JTP, all his tax lien history came out which was problematic for Joe. however, he wouldn’t be a “celebrity” without McCain.

kelley in virginia on February 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Joe Who?

Buttafuoco?

David2.0 on February 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Gregor on February 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM

i dont see “socialist” when i look at mccain

blatantblue on February 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

People ragged on Palin for backing McCain over Hayworth. Turns out Hayworth is a Birther.

People ragged on Palin for backing Perry over Medina. Turns out Medina is a Truther.

People ragged on Palin for attending the Tea Party Convention. Her speech was broadcast live on every news network.

Can we please give the woman the benefit of the doubt? She’s clearly surrounded herself with people who know what the hell they’re doing(which is more than I can say for Barry). I trust that she’s supporting McCain A) because of personal loyalty, B) because he’s a better candidate than Hayworth, and C) because she’s building a network of support that she can cash in on if/when she runs for President.

Doughboy on February 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Joe’s fifteen minutes was over long ago…

d1carter on February 15, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I love Palin and Can’t stand McCain.
I will support Sarah but I too am disappointed.

Firebird on February 15, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Indeed. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

davidk on February 15, 2010 at 7:48 PM