Wallace: Joe Scarborough lives where the trolleys don’t run

posted at 12:15 pm on February 12, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

I didn’t get a chance to see this yesterday, but consider this a palate cleanser of sorts after the Lawrence O’Donnell meltdown this morning. Chris Wallace is a little miffed at Joe Scarborough over the alleged eye-roll message Joe says that Chris sent his media buddies to let them know that Sarah Palin is a lightweight. Wallace responds with the quaint phrase I put in the post headline — how many people will remember what that means? — but Wallace makes it a bit clearer by comparing him to the Son of Sam hearing messages from the neighbor’s dog. Want to know what the secret message Chris is sending to his friend Joe now? He’s offended … that people watch Joe on MS-NBC (via Greg Hengler at Townhall):

“I wasn’t going to go easy on her,” Wallace said about his interview with Palin, and she answered his questions without any trouble at all. He didn’t send any secret messages that Palin was a lightweight, Wallace says, because, well, she’s not.  Wallace believes that Palin is taking her role seriously, studying foreign policy and getting briefed on national issues every day.  He won’t offer an opinion on whether she will be ready to be President in 2012, but then again, she doesn’t necessarily have to be, either; she could run in 2016, 2020, or 2024, too.

By the time you read this post, Scarborough will have had the opportunity to respond.  Think he’ll roll his eyes?  Chris shows him how to actually do that at the end. And lest you think Wallace is just having a little fun at Scarborough’s expense, Wallace thanked Mike Gallagher this morning for an “adult conversation” on Palin — a rather pointed criticism on the kerfuffle over the last couple of days.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Greta is a lib too.

Greta, Shep, Geraldo.

uknowmorethanme on February 12, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I’ve heard Greta’s a lib, but you wouldn’t know it watching her show these days. Most of her guests are GOP members of Congress along with conservative columnists like Byron York and that dude from the WSJ who’s name escapes me(Stephen something).

Not to mention how she’s always talking about Palin, and not in a derogatory or condescending way like libs do.

Doughboy on February 12, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Greta, Shep, Geraldo.

uknowmorethanme on February 12, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I was a little surprised to find out that Greta was a Scientologist. No biggie, just sayin’. I think that she is doing a good job of calling out what the Dem’s are up to.

kg598301 on February 12, 2010 at 2:22 PM

That’s part of a cheer that the Ole Miss students and alumni (like Shep) yell at sporting events and every time they get drunk.

kingsjester on February 12, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Oh OK, I thought maybe it was his “Gay Nickname”. ha ha

kg598301 on February 12, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Hotty Totty? That’s the perfect nick-name for Shep.

And, yes, Geraldo said if he ever saw Michelle Malkin (who’s she again?) on the street he would spit on her.

flicker on February 12, 2010 at 2:34 PM

misterpeasea on February 12, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Yeah and Scarborough was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives as a Republican. Just shows you that ideology and principals mean everything and Party affiliation means squat.

Sultry Beauty on February 12, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Hotty totty?

UncleZeb on February 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM
Yeh, what the hey?!!!

kg598301 on February 12, 2010 at 1:59 PM

kingsjester on February 12, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Ah for a second there I thought Wallace was trying to out Shep are something.

Kjeil on February 12, 2010 at 2:38 PM

As a politician Scarborough may have been a squishy conservative or slightly right of center. As a tool of PMSNBC he has been moving steadily left and is as much a conservative today as Bill Clinton is. If that is because of his proximity to liberal/socialist thought or because he always leaned that way in his soul is arguable.
As a member of the media, Chris Wallace has an 85% (or higher) chance of being a lib. As an interviewer he has a reputation for throwing the high hard one at whoever is before him. That, I respect.

Extrafishy on February 12, 2010 at 2:41 PM

I could never tell Wallace was a lib because it doesn’t come across in his reporting, and I think he’s the best out there. Brett Baier does a terrific job also, and I heard he was a dem. That was surprising to me.

silvernana on February 12, 2010 at 2:48 PM

You could easily go back and find other wallace post-interview tapes where he’s talking about the interview and find incidents where he’s done the eye thing. You’ll be able to find the trend. Post interview chats where he’s promoting interviews for people like Blago is where you will most likely find the gesture.

Buddahpundit on February 12, 2010 at 2:56 PM

silvernana on February 12, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I don’t think he is a lib…I saw the post where it said he was a registered Democrat…but that doesn’t make him a lib….There are a few level headed Democrats out there….I can’t think of too many that post here, but they are out there…Hell, I didn’t even know he was Mike Wallace’s son until a few years ago..

He’s one of the fairest in his profession….IMHO.

BigWyo on February 12, 2010 at 3:12 PM

More clips of Megan Kelly please.

WordsMatter on February 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Greta is a lib too.

Greta, Shep, Geraldo.

uknowmorethanme on February 12, 2010 at 1:48 PM

I hardly find that to be an accurate depiction, though I do not get the impression that she’s a “social conservative” she certainly seems genuinely offended by the Dhim’s profligate spending and errant accounting practices. Her presentation is indeed my circumspect in its language,but then that would be expected one would think from a lifetime of practicing law.

The success so far of the Tea-Party movement has been generally attributed to the coalescing around common themes vs applying litmus tests for acceptance.

Archimedes on February 12, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Doughboy on February 12, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Greta is one of those classic democrats, Kennedy, that type. Not too different from Tammy Bruce…they have liberal views, but their actual policies line up more with the Republicans of today.
They definitely are not the progressives like Pelosi, or MSNBC style.
That is why she can respect, and gain the respect of Palin, many of their ideas would intersect.
The classic democrats are being run out of the democrat party, which is why they have to gravitate towards Republicans, but shy away from conservatives.
Greta would have to give up her long relationships with many of the liberals is she totally adopted the Republicans…Tammy Bruce made that decision because she is tougher and more honest…but still maintains many liberal ideals.

right2bright on February 12, 2010 at 3:56 PM

So what does “where the trolleys don’t run” mean?

cs89 on February 12, 2010 at 1:25 PM

Nuts.

IrishEi on February 12, 2010 at 4:19 PM

That whole group on MSNBC is nuts. I’m glad Wallace is setting the record straight. We need more of that.

Bikerchick on February 12, 2010 at 4:30 PM

right2bright on February 12, 2010 at 3:56 PM

This is what I was fumbling around with…but you spelled it out perfectly…they’re not all crazy…it’s just that the crazies have taken over.

Rahm was onto something.

BigWyo on February 12, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I have always imagined Greta to be a lib, but I can’t tell it from her show. I was disappointed when she came over from CNN, but have changed my opinion in the years since. She’s proven herself to me, to be a fair interviewer and good reporter.

On a side note, just heard yesterday that Fox News middle east reporter, Jennifer Griffin, is being treated for a very aggressive breast cancer. She is the tall woman that is always seen in the midst of Hamas thugs and street shooting in Gaza. If she proves to be as tough a patient as she has been a reporter, she will come through this. Please take the time to say a prayer for her and her family.

TugboatPhil on February 12, 2010 at 4:52 PM

BigWyo on February 12, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Thanks for correcting me on that! I feel a little better now. Whatever he is, he is good, and I could never tell.

silvernana on February 12, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Slightly O/T..but a good interview with the ‘Cuda on her birthday:

TugboatPhil…I’m with you, many prayers for Jennifer Griffin. She is one tough lady. Remember when Steve Centani (spelling) was kidnapped? She was one of the ones who got him back.

All the best to Jennifer and family.

gary4205 on February 12, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Chris Wallace is an accomplished liar, but still a liar. I won’t pass judgment on whether he eye-rolled at the end of the Palin interview…that could go either way.

But he sure as hell was lying in this interview, his eye movements and evasiveness were unmistakable. I’ve spent 35 years observing people and ferreting out liars, and he was definitely lying.

mrpeabody on February 12, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Sorry to hear that, always liked her. Prayers coming.

wi farmgirl on February 13, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Scarborough is Obamas’ best friend.

Coronagold on February 13, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Greta seems more a moderate. You have to admire her ability to play it down the middle, though.

I don’t care what Geraldo is. I turn the channel every time.

John the Libertarian on February 13, 2010 at 11:57 AM