Video: New test of patriotism – AGW belief

posted at 2:22 pm on February 11, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

So now he’s Bill Nye, the Judge-Your-Patriotism Guy, which shouldn’t surprise anyone, especially since Rachel Maddow got the renowned climatologist as a guest. Wait, Nye isn’t a climatologist? He’s a mechanical engineer? Well, then, asking him to verify anthropogenic global warming is as silly as hiring a railroad engineer to chair a panel on climate change, isn’t it, or in passing unpublished student dissertations as reliable peer-reviewed studies in scientific presentations.  Maybe Nye is an expert on patriotism?  Er, no (also at Townhall and Story Balloon):

This is the worst possible time to claim that AGW is settled science, as even the IPCC has decided to dramatically revamp its processes after a series of embarrassing disclosures on how they conducted that “settled science.” Does Nye insist that a sufficient test of patriotism is belief in the Himalayan glaciers melting by 2035? Until a few weeks ago, that was “settled science,” too, according to the same authorities on which Nye bases his “patriotism.”

Questioning scientific claims is not unpatriotic. In fact, refusing to question and test scientific claims is itself unscientific, as was many of the actions of the IPCC in building its claims in the first place.  Demanding unquestioning acceptance of recent scientific claims as gospel amounts to a forced belief system, and our Constitution actually has an explicit prohibition against religious tests for office.  Is the Constitution unpatriotic as well?  Maybe Nye should stick to classroom demonstrations of basic science and leave AGW and the measurement of patriotism to those more intellectually capable of discernment.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Medina/Nye 2012
/s

publiuspen on February 11, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Does he still have a show for kids? I remember watching that in the 90s and it was pretty informative stuff, for all ages, has he turned to indoctrination now?

Daemonocracy on February 11, 2010 at 2:26 PM

“I’m not really a scientist, but I play one on TV…”

Ace ODale on February 11, 2010 at 2:26 PM

et tu, Bill Nye?

NickelAndDime on February 11, 2010 at 2:26 PM

As a kid, Bill Nye annoyed me.

As an adult, he continues to annoy me. o.O Good to know some things never change.

KinleyArdal on February 11, 2010 at 2:28 PM

lmao, he actually said unpatriotic. What a tool.

kvader on February 11, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I always wondered what Fred Savage was up to… Cool to see he has his own TV show.

Bill Nye’s whole point on global warming is the IPCC said it so… it must be true because they won a science award. Brilliant.

tetriskid on February 11, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Following Katrina, Bill Nye was all over the cables predicting that global warming would lead to freakishly bad hurricane seasons.

Mike Honcho on February 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I think he should be a regular on the Maddow show…he fits.

d1carter on February 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Heartbreak.

My one claim to fame is that I was once credited as a “consultant” to Bill Nye because one of his producers called the university where I used to teach with a math question, and it got forwarded to me.

I bet he’d be even more embarrassed to know he received his information from an unpatriotic source.

notropis on February 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Please Please Please link AGW to patriotism!

You ignorant leftists can’t destroy yourselves quick enough!

daesleeper on February 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Wow… I am SOOOO unpatriotic nowdays…

I don’t like Obama.

I go to Tea Partys.

I don’t like how the Admin is dealing with Terrorism.

And I don’t think we have any significant manmade GW…

All those years I spent serving this country must have just been me being in denial… glad these pinheads have cleared that up for me.

Romeo13 on February 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM

It’s all about the money. The movement was hijacked from the “greenies” years ago. I get offers all the time for Self certification of my companies greeness. The building where my wife works has a “green” office supply company the suggest everyone in the building use for supplies. They all have a dog in the fight and its profit!

faol on February 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Bill Nye is a Leftist’s Leftist.

We are now seeing the affects of decades of long term exposure to airborne toxins found in Labs.

Get some fresh air Bill.

portlandon on February 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM

OK, to be fair, you do not have to be a climatologist to assess the viability of any scientist’s conclusion based on their data.
With that said, maybe Bill has been out of the adult loop of science for too long & is still thinking elementary.

Badger40 on February 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Bill Nye belongs in Gitmo, in their remedial program.

neurosculptor on February 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM

*sing* Bill Nye the Scientist Lies.

Whatever happened to honesty, integrity, and self respect? Are these foreign words now?

capejasmine on February 11, 2010 at 2:31 PM

notropis on February 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Wait, no, it was Newton’s Apple.

Whew….

notropis on February 11, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I go to Tea Partys.

Romeo13 on February 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Stupid brit… ;)

Skywise on February 11, 2010 at 2:31 PM

He’s actually competing with Ed Begley to see who can be the trendiest enviro-whackjob.

Akzed on February 11, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Ignorance is rampant on msnbc. I waste time everytime I even think to look at Rachel or olbywan or the other tools of this network. Complete fools don’t even come close to these clowns.

bones47 on February 11, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill…

As an educator you should know that the Scientific Method is to always question. There are a large number of reputable scientists that refute global warming. Climate is weather over time and the last 7 to 9 years that has meant cooling as we “recover” from the warm 90′s.

I could go on, but here is my take sans political implications.

Ordinary1 on February 11, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I may just have to drop some sodium in Nye’s cup of water.

WashJeff on February 11, 2010 at 2:32 PM

We Must Stop The Climate From Changing!

profitsbeard on February 11, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I agree.
First in order:
Stop the Earth from rotating on its own axis
Second:
Get rid of the Sun
Climate change with irrovocably be stopped.
Iama genius!

Badger40 on February 11, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Soooooo…. Mr. Nye is a typical liberal “educator”. He is troubled that older people are just not as gullible as the children in his classroom.

ROCnPhilly on February 11, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Perfectly stated….

Baxter Greene on February 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM

WashJeff on February 11, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Make it Rb for a nastier reaction! LOL!

Badger40 on February 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Laura played this on her show this morning (can’t watch I am at work) and I loved his very condscending shot at older people. I hope liberals never change their winning strategy of calling people who disagree with them stupid.

Cindy Munford on February 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I saw Bill Nye last night use the Nobel Prize argument: “But but they even got a Nobel Prize for this research!” which of course now elicits laughter and unfortunately is about as relevant scientifically as winning a People’s Choice Award.

Marcus on February 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Ordinary1 on February 11, 2010 at 2:32 PM

LOL! As the next ice age beckons, mankind will look back & blame it all on AGW.
And where was Al?

Badger40 on February 11, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I watched Keith Overbite last night and had to LMAO when he said something like “of course the blizzard is a result of global warming” and “last year was the hottest year on record” and so on. There must be an alternate reality.

txag92 on February 11, 2010 at 2:35 PM

lol

/facepalm

Midas on February 11, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Is it too much to ask that we hear from actual climatologists on the forefront of climate change theories?

Gore’s a politician and the IPCC chief is a railroad engineer.

I don’t want a podiatrist performing brain surgery and I don’t want railroad engineers telling me about the climate.

amerpundit on February 11, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Marcus on February 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Or an Oscar. Or really any award.

Badger40 on February 11, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Nice dye-job, toolbag.

And is there some reason you’re still wearing your kid’s show costume while pretending to be one of the ‘adults in charge’?

Doorgunner on February 11, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Man, this is a real let down. I used to like the guy, he made science accessible.

We need to Ask Dr. Science

rbj on February 11, 2010 at 2:38 PM

When does Bill Nye get his Nobel Prize?

RobCon on February 11, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Hmmmmmmm … Nye comes across as an exceptional moron.

darwin on February 11, 2010 at 2:39 PM

And yeah, I’m not taking advice on climate change from a mechanical engineer whose claim to fame is wearing a bow-tie on a kid’s show and co-starring in an Epcot ride.

amerpundit on February 11, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Bill Nye – the Josef Goebbels of the Green Police.

Bruno Strozek on February 11, 2010 at 2:39 PM

What’s with Nye’s Pee Wee Herman suit?

In Nye’s world, the young are wiser than the old.

RobCon on February 11, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Per Wikipedia: Nye began his professional entertainment career as an actor on a local sketch comedy television show in Seattle, Almost Live!; Nye corrected the host of Almost Live! after the host pronounced “gigawatt” as “jigowatt”, a mispronunciation made common by the film Back to the Future.[7][8] The character name came from the host’s comment, “Who do you think you are? Bill Nye the Science Guy?” and Nye was thereafter known as such on the program. His other main recurring role on Almost Live! was as Speedwalker, a speedwalking Seattle superhero.

Now we are getting our scientific evidence from sketch comics.

ihasurnominashun on February 11, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Bill Nye is a Leftist’s Leftist.

portlandon on February 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM

What a shock that they gave him a children’s program to indoctrinate… er, I mean educate the youth, years ago.

Can anyone else just see the evil oozing out of him in this video? I mean anyone pushing this crap is not a good person, but this guy is disgusting. It’s like he actively sought out Satan to apply for a job.

Did you notice all of his talk about how it’s just stupid old people who don’t get it, but kids do? Everything these people do is so predictable. Beck talks about this all the time. It’s the same thing we hear from all of the young and oh so informed Obama supporters. You old people who know how the world works just don’t get it… but us kids who haven’t worked a day in our lives do. I mean, how can you old people not see what a cool black guy Obama is… er, I mean, his policies totally rule.

RightWinged on February 11, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Wow … according to Nye, any weather event is attributable to global warming.

How convenient.

darwin on February 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM

He was part of Gore’s “Repower America” campaign, too. They’re all from the same nuthouse.

amerpundit on February 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Nye and Maddow – Nerd interviews nerd.
Can we get the Comic Book Guy to moderate?

RobCon on February 11, 2010 at 2:42 PM

This is a major letdown. Bill Nye has always been one of my favorite personalities and it is really a disappointment to see even him get bamboozled by this AGW crap!

What’s worst, to see him promulgate the latest patriotism litmus test on IAS, the Insane Asylum Network formerly known as MSNBC.

pilamaye on February 11, 2010 at 2:43 PM

The, er, audacity! What’s so “patriotic” about using A.G.W. theories to enable the Progressive’s Marxist dream of “redistributive change” via “wealth” confiscation?

Buy Danish on February 11, 2010 at 2:43 PM

If Bill Nye represents the state of kiddie TV, then bring back Bozo. At least Bozo knew he was a clown.

Cicero43 on February 11, 2010 at 2:43 PM

I heard Laura Ingraham discuss this on her show this morning.

I miss Mr. Wizard.

madmonkphotog on February 11, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Apparently questioning AGW is now as unpatriotic as being unhappy with tax increases or dissenting from White House talking points on terrorism. That’s some list they’ve got going there.

Fred 2 on February 11, 2010 at 2:46 PM

We all know the only reason Rachel Maddow has a show. It’s certainly not his intelligence.

SouthernGent on February 11, 2010 at 2:46 PM

To many billions of human beings for to thin an atmosphere. They all seem to believe someone else should quit reproducing or do the patriotic thing and die.

fourdeucer on February 11, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Patriotism is a warm topic.

unclesmrgol on February 11, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Well I’m an EE and I can say with as much authority AGW is a more likely a hoax than not based on the evidence I’ve seen. So next move Bill.

TheBigOldDog on February 11, 2010 at 2:47 PM

What would be the effect of this Global Warming fraud and coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to support roguery and error all over the earth. Al Gore and the Global Warming fraudsters and fanatics converted simple changes in the weather into an engine for enslaving mankind to filch wealth and power to themselves. They, in fact, constitute the real Anti-Scientists.
- Thomas Jefferson (paraphrased)

The Church of Global Warming says the earth is dangerously heating up, but I know that it is not, for I have seen the snow and ice and have felt their bitter cold, and I have more faith in snow and ice than in the Church of Global Warming, and it’s frenzied heretic burning High Priests.
- Ferdinand Magellan (paraphrased)

MB4 on February 11, 2010 at 2:48 PM

SouthernGent on February 11, 2010 at 2:46 PM

I’d like to know what razor he uses to get such a clean shave.

darwin on February 11, 2010 at 2:48 PM

The only times I’ve ever liked Bill Nye were his appearances in “Stargate: Atlantis” and “Ellen’s Energy Adventure” at Epcot.

Crawford on February 11, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Nye: Global warming is real because the IPCC discovered it & got an award.

It’s so cold it’s hot.

It’s so hot it’s cold.

Science.

tetriskid on February 11, 2010 at 2:51 PM

You guys are aware that global cooling will causing random weather aberrations that mimic global warming.

rgranger on February 11, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Bill Nye is from Seattle, so that explains a lot. He used to be on “Almost Live,” a local skit comedy show in Seattle that was aired before SNL. That is where he honed his Science Guy persona. In those days, there were no politics from him, and he was a funny guy. So was his “Speedwalker” character.

His constant complaints about people not accepting the “science” sounds like he is protesting too much. He comes across as a lightweight, but a perfect foil for the Maddow crowd.

Mallard T. Drake on February 11, 2010 at 2:51 PM

ihasurnominashun on February 11, 2010 at 2:41 PM

You beat me to it. My sisters and I used to watch Almost Live growing up, and the Speed Walker segments were always a blast. I guess he should’ve stuck to speed walking!

Eclectic on February 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM

What does Captain Kangaroo think?

Ronnie on February 11, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I’d like to know what razor he uses to get such a clean shave.

darwin on February 11, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Carpet cleaner.

SouthernGent on February 11, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Which one was Maddow? Both had the same haircut and honestly I was having trouble telling the difference otherwise.

Bishop on February 11, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Now they’re relying on Speed Walker for global warming science?

mizflame98 on February 11, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Carpet cleaner.

SouthernGent on February 11, 2010 at 2:53 PM

LOL … must be a tough carpet.

darwin on February 11, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I thought part of the charm of our Constitution is that it doesn’t require belief. The every concept of “belief in science” is laughable, anyway. You don’t have to believe science, because it’s all about proof. If you can’t demonstrate it, then it’s only a theory, like the theory that says a chariot carries the sun across the sky.

Of course, that theory works better than it used to, because apparently the big ball of light isn’t a variable heat source. So you could put it in a chariot more easily.

hawksruleva on February 11, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Now we are getting our scientific evidence from sketch comics.

ihasurnominashun on February 11, 2010 at 2:41 PM

At least we aren’t getting our information from a 70 year old caveman Fabio wannabe, er…

Forget I said that…

MNHawk on February 11, 2010 at 2:56 PM

This could be a symptom of a psychotic break from Ed Begley, Jr. out ‘greening’ him all the time…

catmman on February 11, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Okay, I say we pants him!! Dingbat in a bowtie calling people with common sense ‘unpatriotic’!!

AubieJon on February 11, 2010 at 2:56 PM

At first, I thought that was Pee Wee Herman.

At any rate, I love the part where he says that older people have a tougher time embracing this hoax than younger people.

Yeah, no kidding. Younger people are more malleable and have been indoctrinated with this crapola for years. Older people have been around long enough to know Bullsh1t when they see it.

RadClown on February 11, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Except that he didn’t. He did a good job explaining what the scientific method was (“the art of taking measurements”) and had some great shows. He also had Al Gore on once and the fanboy crush was palpable..

Poor guy. He can’t ever admit that The Science Guy got took by a scientific hoax because he neglected to review the data himself.

dicentra63 on February 11, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Give me Mr. Wizard (Don Herbert) over Bill Nye any day! Mr. Wizard could probably teach him a thing or two about patriotism too.

Mr. Wizard
Captain, Army
B-24 bomber pilot flying 56 combat missions
Distinguished Flying Cross
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters

Bill Nye
?

Devrbd on February 11, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Maybe he meant they had ‘settled’ on the science they had, since better science wouldn’t give them the time of day.

Vashta.Nerada on February 11, 2010 at 2:59 PM

During this time, Nye was working at Boeing as a mechanical engineer. He has the chops to evaluate whether the science of AGW is valid — because he knows what statistical methods are, and he’s perfectly capable of understanding why dendroclimatology is inherently iffy.

But he let his religion get the best of him, and he’ll go down with the ship.

dicentra63 on February 11, 2010 at 3:00 PM

24 years in April, 6 contingency ops/wars on 4 continents and I’m not a patriot because I think global warming is a steaming pile of shit…FU..GW believers are the new marxists/communists and it is the latest scheme to redistribute wealth on the planet. It’s not science it’s ideology pure and simple. F’em!

jwp1964 on February 11, 2010 at 3:00 PM

LOL. Bill Nye is such a clown. And Maddow calls him “The Science Guy“. Ha Ha Ha! I couldn’t stop laughing all the way through it.

There! Look at all those white Global Warming flakes falling from the sky. PROOF!!! Ha Ha Ha.

Too funny.

jaime on February 11, 2010 at 3:01 PM

The left has the equivalent of Pee Wee Hermann or Captain Kangaroo out trumpeting AGW? And this is supposed to be convincing? This is supposed to push their case? Is there not a “climate researcher” from the vaunted Church of the AGW that could come reasonably describe to us the theological teachings of the church? Surely, if such an entity existed, MSNBC would have them on.

Utterly laughable.

Stick to acids and bases Billy Boy.

ted c on February 11, 2010 at 3:02 PM

This really gotten so ridiculous. I mean seriously, we’re here commenting on a thread where Nye the Science Guy is claiming that the worst snow to hit the east coast in a hundred years is the result of global warming.

The previous record for DC was only half an inch less. Was that global warming as well?

darwin on February 11, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Beakman could take Bill Nye.

Maddow could definitely take Bill Nye.

BigWyo on February 11, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Who let this idiot out of the public grade schools.

Isn’t just supposed to be dropping fizzy pills into Coke bottles or something.

Another loon – man oh man the left is loaded with em.

jake-the-goose on February 11, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Mr. Wizard trumps Bill Nye the Science Guy EVERY.DAY.OF.THE.WEEK.

portlandon on February 11, 2010 at 3:03 PM

I really have to quit reading this garbage. My anger and hated for the left grows every day. This is no longer the country I signed up for! Damn.

jwp1964 on February 11, 2010 at 3:04 PM

And so my interest in any future media product of Nye’s, dies.

Edouard on February 11, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I still cant drive on my street and these AGW thugs still want to tax me to cool it more with less CO2.

Brrrr and Grrrr.

shick on February 11, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Two things: 1) When he’s talking about the IPCC getting the Nobel Prize for their “science” report, no follow up about how their research is now in question due to the East Anglia Emails. 2) Highlighting the fact that they got a Nobel Prize like it really means something is now a silly point. If memory serves, someone else got a Nobel Prize for things they haven’t even done yet.

jjverdi on February 11, 2010 at 3:05 PM

“hatred”…still need edit function. Should learn to control rage before typing.

jwp1964 on February 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Wait, Nye isn’t a climatologist? He’s a mechanical engineer? Well, then, asking him to …

He IS The Science Guy, though, which implies a knowledge of science and how “science” comes about. You know, like repeatable results, disclosure of data and research in hopes that it stands up to scrutiny, and (especially) knowing that it’s good when it fails because that’s the basis of science itself.

Bye Nye the Science Guy. I liked you so, so much back when I thought you were a small “s”, small “g” science guy.

rogerb on February 11, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Thank Gawd Ringo “Thomas the Train Conductor” Star is still a live. She may need an expert for the bullet train they gonna build across America.

roflmao

donabernathy on February 11, 2010 at 3:07 PM

This guy should take care of things closer to home, such as trying to break his virginity.

RMOccidental on February 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I wonder if Maddow enjoys looking stupid. At least the bloated criminal Al Gore has enough sense to hide as the walls come crumbling down.

darwin on February 11, 2010 at 3:10 PM

RMOccidental on February 11, 2010 at 3:09 PM

He tried, The Bunny ranch refused him service.

darwin on February 11, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Bill Nye, Science Clown.

Where’s Beakman?

CynicalOptimist on February 11, 2010 at 3:13 PM

roflmao

donabernathy on February 11, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Touche’

GinaE on February 11, 2010 at 3:13 PM

We were instructed that

The earth was warming,
because man-made gases,
were trapping heat in the planet,
and it would get hotter, and hotter,and hotter,
causing massive disaster to human cities,
within thirty years,
requiring political action,
accepting huge economic costs,
to curb man-made emissions,
to solve the problem.

Now we’re told

The earth is doing whatever,
who knows why,
or how,
but that’s caused by man-made emissions too,
even if there’s no process to explain why increasing greenhouse gas levels don’t mean more trapped heat,
just trust that reducing them will solve whatever problem we’re having,
somehow,
and we gotta accept all the costs involved in scaling back gases,
because the alternative may not hit for thirty years or three hundred years or three thousand years,
but surely we don’t want to risk it.

I seriously don’t give a damn when NYC ends up underwater…if it ain’t gonna happen by 2130, why are we passing laws about it? Climatology can go back to college and get out of Congress.

Chris_Balsz on February 11, 2010 at 3:14 PM