Heartache: Tea Party candidate in Texas a 9/11 truther; Update: Medina responds

posted at 12:15 pm on February 11, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Six days ago, the big news out of Texas was that Tea Party activist and gubernatorial candidate Debra Medina came within the margin of error with Kay Bailey Hutchison, who barely clung to second place against incumbent Rick Perry. Today, Glenn Beck suffers heartbreak when Medina more or less cops to being a 9/11 Truther as well as a “constitutional conservative” candidate. “I think some very good questions raised have been raised in that regard,” Medina replies when Beck asks whether she believes that the American government was in any way involved in bringing down the World Trade Center towers on 9/11. Medina says she won’t take a position on a question where “good questions have been raised and haven’t been answered,” even though they have been answered for years. Beck and the others in his studio can’t quite believe their ears:

This is the same way Ron Paul has played footsie with the Truthers for the last few years as well, and it’s not uncommon among Paul followers. Given the fact that conservatives demanded that Barack Obama remove Van Jones for essentially saying the same thing — something Beck doesn’t hesitate to point out — shouldn’t conservatives rebuke Medina for the same thing? Beck jokes about french-kissing Rick Perry after hearing from Medina and calls him a “good-looking man” in comparison, so he’s already given his answer to the question.

I’d say that Medina’s hit the apex of her political career today.

Update: Medina has issued the following statement:

I was asked a question on the Glenn Beck show today regarding my thoughts on the so-called 9/11 truth movement. I have never been involved with the 9/11 truth movement, and there is no doubt in my mind that Muslim terrorists flew planes into those buildings on 9/11. I have not seen any evidence nor have I ever believed that our government was involved or directed those individuals in any way. No one can deny that the events on 9/11 were a tragedy for all Americans and especially those families who lost loved ones.

The question surprised me because it’s not relevant to this race or the issues facing Texans. This campaign has always been about private property rights and state sovereignty. It is focused on the issues facing Texans. It is not a vehicle for the 9-11 truth movement or any other group.

The real underlying question here, though, is whether or not people have the right to question our government. I think the fact that people are even asking questions on this level gets to the incredible distrust career politicians have fostered by so clearly taking their direction from special interests instead of the people, whether it’s Rick Perry and his HPV mandate or Kay Hutchison and voting for the bank bailout. It is absolutely the right and duty of a free people to question their government. Texas does not need another politician who tells you what you want to hear, then violates your liberties and steals your property anyway. I fully expect to be questioned and to be held accountable as Governor, and that’s the underlying issue here: should people be questioning their government. And the answer is yes, they should be.

No, the question wasn’t whether people “have the right to question our government.”  No one is locking up Truthers for asking foolish questions and spinning conspiracy theories.  Play the audio again, and you will hear Beck ask a specific question: do you believe that the government was involved in the attack on the World Trade Center on 9/11?  Medina’s answer was “I think some very good questions raised have been raised in that regard.”

If Medina believes that, then she hasn’t paid attention to the answers that have long been in the public domain.  If she doesn’t, then she’s terribly inept at handling media interviews.  Either way, Medina’s responsible for her answers and their implications, not Glenn Beck or anyone else.  Any candidate who thinks that a nutcase conspiracy theory about the US government destroying the WTC is within the realm of reasonable speculation is a candidate that richly deserves the obscurity she will shortly enter.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 9

She didn’t have a chance but this just seals her fate.

txag92 on February 11, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Uh oh…

MeatHeadinCA on February 11, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Where’s the fork?

ladyingray on February 11, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Debra Medina’s thinking is dangerous.

publiuspen on February 11, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I’d say that Medina’s hit the apex of her political career today.

Jeeze, let’s hope!

4shoes on February 11, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Where’s the fork?

ladyingray on February 11, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Stuck in Medina because she’s done. :)

txag92 on February 11, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Medina = epic FAIL. She needs to go away. Far, far away. Troofers are nucking futs.

pdigaudio on February 11, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Truth melts Truthers.

profitsbeard on February 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Terrific

Juno77 on February 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM

NOOOOOOOOO.
-deep breath-
Yeah. Dump her. We can’t be seen as having these kind of people representing us.

Emily M. on February 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM

A big thank you from Texas, Glenn.

publiuspen on February 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Okay people, we need to purge Truthers from the Tea Party movement. The MSM is not going to turn a blind eye to this development unlike the turthers on the left.

Lance Murdock on February 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I listened to this interview. It was worse than just the 9/11 thing.

She was all over the place. She sounded like a pol spouting talking points instead of someone just answering questions.

Medina was badly coached or is just simply an idiot to have given such a poor performance. I hear she did well during debates, but I find that hard to believe after this mess.

catmman on February 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM

…and let us speak of this no more.

Doorgunner on February 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Excuse me while I go and remove her and her campaign from my Facebook page.

Knucklehead on February 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM

She should be toast. Her non-denial was an admission of beleif in 9/11 truthers position.

SouthernRoots on February 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM

And everyone was getting on Palin for supporting Palin over Medina.

deidre on February 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Buh-bye.

ROCnPhilly on February 11, 2010 at 12:20 PM

txag92 on February 11, 2010 at 12:18 PM

ladyingray on February 11, 2010 at 12:20 PM

She had my vote until this moment. Perry ’10.

Kafir on February 11, 2010 at 12:20 PM

And everyone was getting on Palin for supporting Palin Perry over Medina.

deidre on February 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Fixed it for myself

deidre on February 11, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Considering how badly he ripped on Gov. Perry and Gov. Palin yesterday maybe Mr. Beck will do a little more digging before chastising. But good for him for doing his investigation live on air. Surprise!!!

Cindy Munford on February 11, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Truth melts Truthers.

profitsbeard on February 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Hehehe

MeatHeadinCA on February 11, 2010 at 12:21 PM

What an idiot…

sebis on February 11, 2010 at 12:21 PM

apex is right.

ciao baby.

ted c on February 11, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Cindy Munford on February 11, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Wait… and why can’t/shouldn’t he rip on them?

MeatHeadinCA on February 11, 2010 at 12:21 PM

I heard this today and I COULD not believe my ears what she ‘did not’ say. I was not going to vote for her anyway, but now there is not a chance in heck!
L

letget on February 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Can you hear that? It’s the fat lady and she is sing-ing…Sad really.

Parade on February 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Say it with me: Governor Rick Perry congratulations on your third term!

cubachi on February 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM

If the Tea Party wants to minimize the damage they will drop her like a bad habit. There are enough made up accusations against them that they don’t need to be going into left field and give their enemies anymore ammunition.

Just A Grunt on February 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I hope those who donated to her start asking for their money back.

Dusty on February 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I hereby rebuke Medina.

What questions, exactly, does she want answered?

rbj on February 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM

The truth always comes out on these fringe 3rd party candidates. Perry has done nothing wrong that I can see and I was going to vote for him anyways.

tx2654 on February 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Okay people, we need to purge Truthers from the Tea Party movement.

Lance Murdock on February 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I’ll play Nick Gillespie for a minute. Maybe instead of purging “truthers” and “birthers” from the Tea Party movement, we should stop trying to label third party or independent candidates as “Tea Party”.

LastRick on February 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Pretty much bails Sarah Palin out of the conundrum she was in by supporting Perry over the Tea Party gal.

But this gal isn’t a typical Tea Party gal it seems.

Also proves you can’t paint all Tea Party folks with a homogenous brush.

I’m a bit sad about this – but I’ll get over it.

HondaV65 on February 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM

See ya later!..dltdhyotwo sweetie!

ohiobabe on February 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Are there really any truthers in TX where Medina felt she shouldn’t offend them?

MeatHeadinCA on February 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Thanks Glenn for exposing the left and the right!

Christian Conservative on February 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I hereby rebuke Medina.

What questions, exactly, does she want answered?

rbj on February 11, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Here’s one:

Does she need a proctologist or a psychiatrist?

profitsbeard on February 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I’ve seen her signs all over West Texas in the last month. She wouldn’t have even forced a runoff in my opinion. Her ideas are very loony. This right here ensures Rick Perry will be reelected in March. This Tea Party movement needs to be very careful about who they back in these elections. Thank god Palin endorsed Perry.

Denverslim on February 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM

c’ya!…next….

tmedlin on February 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I hereby nominate The Right Scoop for the Green Room.

mad saint jack on February 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I don’t understand this. Did she think this answer would appeal to Beck and his audience?

Mark1971 on February 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM

LastRick on February 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM

MeatHeadinCA on February 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Mark1971 on February 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM

You got me…

MeatHeadinCA on February 11, 2010 at 12:25 PM

My hubby heard this as it was airing. He too said “she is done!”.

The people from Texas thank you Glenn!

I have to admit though…I was always leaning towards Perry.

maables on February 11, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Although being a crazy, stupid radical doesn’t seem to preclude anyone from serving in office these days – her mistake is running as a Republican.

She is obviously a DEMOCRAT.

Goodbye Ms. Medina. Perhaps you could get in touch with Van Jones for your next act…..

Stephanie on February 11, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Good grief, game over for Medina. Heart break indeed.

DaMav on February 11, 2010 at 12:26 PM

LastRick on February 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Fair enough. I’m just sick of the MSM defining all of us racist and crazies because of few loons out there.

Lance Murdock on February 11, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Paranoia and irrationality exist on both sides of the partisan divide. But it’s tough to argue that it isn’t primarily on the right.

crr6 on February 11, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I’d say that Medina’s hit the apex of her political career today.

I hope so. Where do these people come from, Mars?

scalleywag on February 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Ugh. As someone from Texas, I’m ashamed of this woman. People in this area (Tyler) will definitely not vote for her knowing that she believes this sh*t. They need to know too. I hope it gets exposed in more media than this.
I too will be voting for Rick Perry in November and would have supported Kay Bailey Hutchison if she was ahead. I’m definitely voting this November. This is one of the most important elections ever, in my opinion.

NathanG on February 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Lance Murdock on February 11, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I’m tired of it, yet more importantly, I’m tired of our worthless media. It seems they only are relevant when we listen to them – which is happening less and less…

MeatHeadinCA on February 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Don’t agree with all of his thinking, but Rick Perry has been good for Texas, and for Texas business.

publiuspen on February 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Wait wait wait. You people are actually surprised that she’s a nutjob? I’ve been saying this stuff for months. You guys have never attended a tea party rally, have you? Saying 9/11 was a conspiracy was the *least* offensive thing I’ve heard uttered before.

Wake up already, tea party nutjobs. Some of you are logical. Most of you are not. Things like this are going to destroy the movement, and personally I hope it does. *True* conservatives can think for themselves without palling around with this band of nutjobs. Get over yourselves and come join the rest of the adults while we take our country back.

On second thought…just stay where you are, riiiiight next to the birthers and truthers.

NoStoppingUs on February 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM

So Long, Farewell, Alveterzane, Goodbye!

portlandon on February 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I hereby nominate The Right Scoop for the Green Room.

mad saint jack on February 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I second that!

cubachi on February 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM

crr6 on February 11, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Ah… the wise troll…

MeatHeadinCA on February 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM

She is a lib plant to make the teaparty look bad.

ctmom on February 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM

crr6 on February 11, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Heh. No, you’re wrong. It’s on both sides, but not primarily on the right, nor is it primarily on the left.

NathanG on February 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM

There’s always Farouk Shami to fall back on. /s

mizflame98 on February 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM

MeatHeadinCA on February 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Well when you live in a deep blue state, most people get their news from the MSM. So it would help that we keep the loonies out of the movement.

Lance Murdock on February 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM

The governor’s race is officially over today.

Vashta.Nerada on February 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Goodbye Debbie, it was nice never knowing ya.

Rocks on February 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM

She is a lib plant to make the teaparty look bad.

ctmom on February 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Doubtful…

MeatHeadinCA on February 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM

MeatHeadinCA on February 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She’s just a loon.

txag92 on February 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM

[HondaV65 on February 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM]

I can’t imagine Palin just pulls names out of a hat or goes by what she can find on the Internet. It could be that she knew or had an inkling of this either through her own efforts, efforts of her supporters in Texas, or from scuttlebutt at Fox.

Dusty on February 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM

You guys have never attended a tea party rally, have you?

NoStoppingUs on February 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Yes, I have. No nutjobs like this present.

publiuspen on February 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Congrats Rick Perry; you’ve just been reelected and probably won’t face a primary runoff now.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on February 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Hahhahhahhahahha!

Grow Fins on February 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Ouch! She just lost my vote. Gotta’ go scrape the bumpersticker off the car.

cibolo on February 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Lance Murdock on February 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Eh, if you’re in a deep blue state, then your surrounded by an above normal amount of morons. Reforming the media won’t solve your problems there.

MeatHeadinCA on February 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Yikes!

TXMomof3 on February 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

NathanG on February 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Hutchison was depending on Medina to pull conservative votes from Perry. She is still trying to get democrats to cross over for her – that tells you what you need to know.

Vashta.Nerada on February 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Wow this sucks, I was curious to get to know more about her. Guess now that won’t be necessary. Dang.

kg598301 on February 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

MeatHeadinCA on February 11, 2010 at 12:21 PM

He can obviously. I think his criticism of Gov. Perry, especially since his sidekick Pat lived in Texas, is really valid. What annoyed me was his questioning of Gov. Palin’s decision to campaign for whoever she decides to support. I read into his tone that his approval of Gov. Palin’s actions was a big deal. I don’t want Mr. Beck to become as proud of himself as our president.

Cindy Munford on February 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Any politician who makes a stupid statement like that is at best an ignoramus with a complete lack of critical thinking skills. That disqualifies her for dog catcher, let alone the governor of Texas.

RadClown on February 11, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Kay Bailey has gotten squishy.

publiuspen on February 11, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Mark1971 on February 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM

You hit the nail on the head, I really think these people do believe that conservatives go right along with them. That’s why they show up at tea party rallies and protests, they think the beefs we have with the government is somehow all about or related to the conspiracies. Somehow the GOP needs to distance themselves as far away from these airhead birthers and truthers as humanly possible.

scalleywag on February 11, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I’d never vote for a Truther. Anybody who believes that has a Major screw loose and can’t be put in a position of responsibility at any level.

TheBigOldDog on February 11, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I will be voting for Rick Perry. The funny thing is that I almost missed this part of the show, because her first part of the interview was so good, that I was going to go upstairs and tell my wife that we were going to go ahead and vote for Medina…then the bottom fell out. Oh well.

Weight of Glory on February 11, 2010 at 12:34 PM

publiuspen on February 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Exactly. He is better than having a Democrat in office, as far as I’m concerned, although Bill White doesn’t seem to be that much of an idealogue. Key word is seems though. I don’t agree with the toll roads or the Trans-Texas Corridor, along with the HPV vaccine, but I still believe that his business views have helped Texas.

NathanG on February 11, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Lance Murdock on February 11, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Who cares? The MSM’s a dying breed; that we still talk about them gives them more credit than they deserve.

LastRick on February 11, 2010 at 12:34 PM

NathanG on February 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM

JTHS was my school (Lions!). I was there in ’83-86′. Got to help the start off the 1st ROTC class there with Army Major Benny Archuleta.
What a great guy!

Badger40 on February 11, 2010 at 12:34 PM

The governor’s race is officially over today.

Vashta.Nerada on February 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I hope so. Perry needs to get this message out there. Although I’m not so sure she is hurting Perry as much as she was hurting KBH. So, it will be interesting to see where Medina’s voters go. She lost Mark Davis this morning (WBAP). He has been a fan of hers, too.

Sue on February 11, 2010 at 12:34 PM

mizflamer98,
That shami is a real dandy isn’t he?
L

letget on February 11, 2010 at 12:34 PM

But it’s tough to argue that it isn’t primarily on the right.

crr6 on February 11, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Like 30% of democrats think Bush caused 9/11.

Don’t be a tard.

lorien1973 on February 11, 2010 at 12:34 PM

And where the hell are Tea Party knuckleheads that supported this woman?

SHEESH!!!

katy on February 11, 2010 at 12:34 PM

This is exactly what Sarah Palin was talking about in her convention speech and interview. Rigorous, competitive primaries are a good thing. That process will expose people like Medina and other Tea Party candidates (I listened to a radio interview with one yesterday who had no problem with gun registration being required on our 1040′s. She’s done.)

A lot of nuts will come out of these Tea Party organizations. Hell, I have given up completely on my local chapter. The Worcester Mass Tea Party refused to endorse Scott Brown. They’re done.

Jaynie59 on February 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM

She’s toast. Bye bye.

rhombus on February 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Can someone tell me how one becomes a “tea party candidate”? I was under the impression that the movement was loosely organized, had no hierarchy, and represents a wide-range of beliefs.

So who decides how one becomes THE tea party candidate?

YYZ on February 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM

The really bad thing was after the interview, Beck had to fight with a cou8ple of Medina supporters. They had the nerve to say that Beck was being unfair and she has a lot of great ideas and that the truther stuff isn’t a concern of us Texans. WTF?!

mizflame98 on February 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM

kg598301 on February 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I listened to this interview for exact that reason, to hear from her, hear he policies, etc.

I got more than expected! My jaw literally dropped when she said what she said above. She wasn’t making much sense on her tax ideas either, but then really killed herself with this nonsense.

catmman on February 11, 2010 at 12:35 PM

publiuspen on February 11, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Ditto. If it wasn’t for Perry pushing the Trans-Texas Corridor so hard, this election would be a landslide for him.

txsurveyor on February 11, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Well, I disagree with her decisions. So Beck and I might be in the same boat on that one.

I don’t want Mr. Beck to become as proud of himself as our president.

Cindy Munford on February 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Well, who does want him to become proud like our President? He’s in control of his actions and he’ll be the one held accountable for them.

Alas, lunch break is over.

MeatHeadinCA on February 11, 2010 at 12:36 PM

There’s always Farouk Shami to fall back on. /s

mizflame98 on February 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Why that Hamas supporting tool is wasting his money is beyond me. Not a chance in h@ll he’d get elected in Texas.

txag92 on February 11, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Word travels fast. I was the second person to post this article on Debbie’s Facebook page.

Knucklehead on February 11, 2010 at 12:36 PM

And so many dumped all over Sarah Palin for stumping for Perry.

Looks like she has better judgment than those people.

atheling on February 11, 2010 at 12:36 PM

crr6 on February 11, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Way to hoist your own petard! -definition: “to be harmed by one’s own plan to harm someone else” or “to fall into one’s own trap”

Proof

Like your half-wit pal grow fins said, ‘hahahahaha”

daesleeper on February 11, 2010 at 12:36 PM

I don’t want Mr. Beck to become as proud of himself as our president.

Cindy Munford on February 11, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Beck wouldn’t refuse the mantle of kingmaker , if offered.

a capella on February 11, 2010 at 12:37 PM