Video: One year ago today …

posted at 10:12 am on February 10, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

It was just a year ago today that Florida Governor Charlie Crist appeared on stage with Barack Obama to push for the Porkulus package, angering conservatives who wisely predicted that the $787 billion spending spree would not right the economy, but instead burden us with even more debt. Porkulus turned out to be a dud, but Marco Rubio launches his Stimulus Bomb campaign today to commemorate this moment in Florida GOP, er, flexibility with a fundraiser to help keep Crist out of the US Senate.  Rubio’s site offers options for donations at $7.87, $78.70, $787, and $2400 (primary maximum individual donation limit).  Even before today, Rubio had raised over half of his target of $787,000 — one-millionth of the Porkulus bill’s initial cost estimate:

Be sure to watch my interview with Marco Rubio from yesterday, and don’t miss the boss’ column on Porkulus II, either.

Comments

Go, Rubio.

OmahaConservative on February 10, 2010 at 10:14 AM

A good cause for a good candidate. One quibble: He didn’t launch this today. It’s been going on for 10 days. Jim Geraghty and Erick Erickson have been promoting it for a while.

Trent1289 on February 10, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Dear Lord, please bless Marco. Keep him safe. Keep him strong. And Please, Lord, keep this politician honest for a change.

Crusader Rabbit on February 10, 2010 at 10:17 AM

This guy has a major league bright future. You can say you gave to him way back when. Please send him some cabbage.

sbvft contributor on February 10, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Rubio’s victory in this primary is crucial – even more so than the general election victories so far since The Democrats were swept into power in ’08, because with a Rubio primary victory, we send the strongest signal yet to the GOP that squish RINOs are an endangered species.

Join conservative open forum at It’s About Freedom.

IronDioPriest on February 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM

gave my 7.87 and took a few tries to get through, good sign! :) it isnt much but every bit counts!

ginaswo on February 10, 2010 at 10:21 AM

IronDioPriest on February 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM

IronDioPriest ……

Iron Maiden
Ronnie James Dio
Judas Priest

???????????????

Great start to a cold morning if so : )

oldfiveanddimer on February 10, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Florida needs this guy. He’d be perfect.

TheBigOldDog on February 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM

If these idiots…O’dumbots…wanted to stimulate the economy…they should of giving us…WE The People…a million dollars, rather than their punk ass unions azzhole..

hawkman on February 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM

What about $8.62 (or its increases in orders of magnitude)? After all, the price tag of Porkulus is now $862 billion.

steveegg on February 10, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Crusader Rabbit on February 10, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Amen!

4shoes on February 10, 2010 at 10:29 AM

hawkman on February 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM

He did give out hundreds of billions in tax cuts and credits. Maybe not as much as you would’ve liked, but oh well. It was still a waste of time…tax cuts and all.

ernesto on February 10, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Watch for the 60 minutes coverage of the Tampa Tea Party this Sunday. Rubio will win the primary. NO MORE RINO’S.

Key West Reader on February 10, 2010 at 10:35 AM

I think if this moneybomb was even half as effective as Sen. Brown’s was that Gov. Crist might consider withdrawing.

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2010 at 10:35 AM

oldfiveanddimer on February 10, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Glad to help your morning along!

Join conservative open forum at It’s About Freedom.

IronDioPriest on February 10, 2010 at 10:35 AM

ernesto on February 10, 2010 at 10:32 AM

EXPIRED.

My fed taxes increased beginning January 2010…and hubby and I make quite a bit less than the alleged $250k threshhold (cited how often by Obummer and crew??). Called HR, they said the fed tax increase is for….STIMULUS package.

Obama = FAIL

atlgal on February 10, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Crush Crist

blatantblue on February 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Symbol convergence alert: Marco 2010 almost spells “Marco Polo”!

RD on February 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Just gave the man twenty bucks.

Go Team

Doorgunner on February 10, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I gave to the related Rubio money bomb being held today by Jim DeMint’s Senate Conservatives Fund PAC:

Threw in a little extra separate donation to go straight to the DeMint’s PAC as well. Both worthy causes!

perries on February 10, 2010 at 10:41 AM

atlgal on February 10, 2010 at 10:36 AM

WHAT? What was changed specifically, did she say? (No problem if you don’t want to get into it, just want to know that you know) I was also wondering if something was going on.

RD on February 10, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Gave my $7.87.

Yes, I pray too he is not corrupted by the office–our founders never meant for senate seats to be permanent sinecures anyway. The good thing about this movement is that it’s about principles, not parties, and we will be watching.

PattyJ on February 10, 2010 at 10:45 AM

I gave my $25.00 for the bomb. I like calling these things bombs…I hope they all land right on BHO…

Ltlgeneral64 on February 10, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I just launched a little JDAM toward Marco Rubio. Cool guy–I forecast a landslide for him in Florida. He needs to keep after it, stay mobile, stay on the issues and take some pages from the Bob McDonnell playbook.

I foresee this moneybomb meeting its mark by 5:00pm today.

I foretell AP putting up the mushroom cloud tonight once he doubles his goal. I foretell humpbotalicious once he gets elected.

Prophecy.

ted c on February 10, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Sounds like someone finally got their talking points memo.

CurtZHP on February 10, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Speaking of not instilling confidence in the American People. The President said, he was against torture, what is his position on killing someone?

Dr Evil on February 10, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Didn’t the stimulus bomb launch yesterday?

lorien1973 on February 10, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Didn’t the stimulus bomb launch yesterday?

lorien1973 on February 10, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Nope, it starts today the 10th.

Enoxo on February 10, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Sen. DeMint told Bill Bennett this morning that there isn’t much use for him in D.C. if he can’t get some more senators like Marco Rubio. He is doing a seperate money bomb.

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Dr Evil on February 10, 2010 at 10:51 AM

As long as there was no suffering.

Cindy Munford on February 10, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I’m in. Thanks for posting this, Ed.

mikeyboss on February 10, 2010 at 11:07 AM

The elections of 2010 are crucial. We need to drive out the criminals of the political class who think nothing of passing bankruptcy on as a legacy to our children and grandchildren. Charlie Crist has proven himself to be more of the same and needs to be defeated.

highhopes on February 10, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Dr Evil on February 10, 2010 at 10:51 AM

It depends. Obama and his party decry the clubbing of baby seals but do nothing to protect the murder of unborn life. Which, of course, speaks volumes about the priorities of those who embrace the culture of death.

highhopes on February 10, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Well said, highhopes.

mikeyboss on February 10, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Lifelong Floridian and just donated for 3rd time – Rubio will win and he best do right by us.

Ris4victory on February 10, 2010 at 11:20 AM

$81.7………

Will he make it by noon?

RealMc on February 10, 2010 at 11:21 AM

A little “bombing” humor….just for effect.

Semper Fidelis.

ted c on February 10, 2010 at 11:25 AM

this is not his first “money bomb” – he has had several. This is his latest endeavor, called the stimulus bomb – he is a clever young dude – we are watching him closely. (he is pretty damned hawt too – sorry, but HE IS!!).

Ris4victory on February 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM

RD on February 10, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Mine too. Looks like w/holding increased.

txhsmom on February 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM

to 82k in 6 minutes……

RealMc on February 10, 2010 at 11:27 AM

he’s at a total of 551K – goal was 787K – I put this moneybomb on my twitter feed too

Ris4victory on February 10, 2010 at 11:32 AM

A little “bombing” humor….just for effect.

Semper Fidelis.

ted c on February 10, 2010 at 11:25 AM

LOL!

Dr Evil on February 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I’ll be at the Rubio event tonight at Harborside in Ft. Myers. I will be the one waving my hands with “Marco Rubio” written on my palms with a Sharpie…

CC

CapedConservative on February 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Wait, I just gave to a moneybomb through DeMint’s org yesterday. Is the stimulus bomb something different?

entropent on February 10, 2010 at 11:35 AM

CapedConservative on February 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM

“Place RINO’s Head Here”

–note for your palm

ted c on February 10, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Looks like he didn’t make it by noon but they will reach the goal today!!!

RealMc on February 10, 2010 at 12:01 PM

entropent on February 10, 2010 at 11:35 AM

I pledged at DeMint’s, too, and had the same question. I just got off the phone with Rubio’s campaign HQ and the kid I spoke with was clueless about it. Also, my donation on Rubio’s own site just now got hung up and I finally backed out of it, having no idea whether it will hit my credit card or not. Frustrating, but I guess it’s a sign of heavy traffic on the site, so that’s maybe a good thing.

califcon on February 10, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Last November, America elected its first minority president, a lawyer from one of America’s most populous, truly bellwether states – despite the fact that he had only served as a US senator for two years, following a relatively short, though widely noted, time in the state legislature. Although still a young man, a relative unknown, and perceived to be somewhat unlearned in national or world affairs, the president’s dignified manner and very obviously superior intellect assuaged most of the voters’ worries concerning his lack of experience. Perhaps just as important on that issue, in an odd way, was the easy-for-all-to-see devotion that the president, his attractive wife, and their adorable children have for each other.

hmmmmm…

and

hmmmm, again…

Knott Buyinit on February 10, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Had so much fun with the Rep. Scott Brown (R-MASS) experience,I’m doing it again. Just made my contribution.

Hongqi on February 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM

One is a Stimulus bomb here:

The other is a Moneybomb here:

Looks like they are both for Rubio…….

RealMc on February 10, 2010 at 12:19 PM

You’ve been able to pledge(?) for days.

amerpundit on February 10, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I don’t think the purpose of the stimulus bomb was to get it from 0 to the goal in one day, but to just get to the fundraising goal by the end of today. In other words, an all-out offensive to reach the target by tonight.

amerpundit on February 10, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Just added my $178.70 to the stimulus bomb. I’m a Floridan and am looking forward to Rubio becoming our next Senator.

Every $7.87 counts, so send Rubio whatever you can.

StimulusBomb

I double dog dare ya. :D

Kirin on February 10, 2010 at 12:52 PM

?????/Rubio 2012

Rubio/Jindal 2020

Harpoon on February 10, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Just returned from Rubio’s http://www.marcorubio.com/stimulusbomb
site; they insist you give your address along with your credit card #; didn’t he learn anything from Obama’s campaign?/s

Red State State of Mind on February 10, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Great communication

Two words touch a nerve

entagor on February 10, 2010 at 1:01 PM

This is a little off topic, but interesting. Yesterday, Foxnews.com published an article in the Politics section as follows:

Could Crist Challenger’s Big-Time Endorsements Erode Grassroots Support?
By Stephen Clark

– FOXNews.com

Marco Rubio, the insurgent candidate seeking to upset establishment favorite Charlie Crist in the high-profile Republican primary for Florida’s Senate seat, is drawing so much support from GOP party leaders that grassroots activists may start finding it hard to tell who’s their man.

I posted a comment yesterday dismissing the article as nonsense, and probably intentionally planted Crist campaign propaganda. Foxnews.com updated the story today:

Updated February 10, 2010
Rubio Campaigns as Conservative’s Conservative in Race Against Conservative Crist

FOXNews.com

Former Florida House Speaker Marco Rubio has closed a 30-point gap to challenge Florida Gov. Charlie Crist in the GOP primary polls for the U.S. Senate seat, but he’s not out of the woods yet.

Here is the link to the current story

Here is the link to the cached story

Stephen Clark is cited in the byline of the cached article, but not in the updated version. Who is Stephen Clark?

I call shenanigans. The Crist campaign is planting stories, and Foxnews let their chain get yanked.

entropent on February 10, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Oh and by the way, the cached article doesn’t seem to find it relevant that the Crist campaign spokesperson who is taking a shot at Rubio’s endorsements is Foxnews correspondent Molly Henneberg’s sister.

entropent on February 10, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Rubio, running mate for Mitt Romney.

And again…..the Progressive / Bigger Fed Gov / Bush Family control/influence over the GOP continues.

GOP = LOST CAUSE

PappyD61 on February 10, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Yes, I hope Rubio wins. He sounds better than Christ.

I donated money to him and was excited UNTIL I found out the Bush Family in Florida is strongly supporting him.

To me (I could be wrong) it seems like Rubio is being groomed to run either in 2012 (splitting the Conservatives and allowing Romney to get the nom) or ultimately if Mittens gets the nomination then Rubio gets picked as the VP. This is a perfect demographic matchup.

It would also keep the GOP in RINO-Bush family hands and EVEN IF ROMNEY LOST IN 2012 it would perfectly position Rubio to run in 2016 (and once again keep the Bush Fam in a position of influence and kingmaking in the GOP).

Rubio running in 2012 would also shut out / cut off Palin (who might not be willing to play the game the way the GOP insiders want to play). Which is the GOP TALKS ABOUT REFORM….BUT DOES NOTHING SUBSTANTIVE about the problem (entrenched interests).

I don’t see how (if the whole show collapses under Obama) how the GOP seems ready to really really do what needs to be done.

We are in deep doo-doo.

PappyD61 on February 10, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Nebraska money to Rubio’s money bomb on the way.

yoda on February 10, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I gave at the Senate Conservatives site.

jodetoad on February 10, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I CALL BS!

Jeb’s been rightly ridin the fence on this race publically, as was politically wise early on, and has only recently started making supportive noises for Marco Rubio’s candidacy!

Since Jeb Bush lives in Miami, has an hispanic wife, and is a political favorite of the Cuban-American community — an endorsement of Rubio is a natural! Jeb was a great CONSERVATIVE governor of Florida, spoke fluent Spanish, and was extremely popular in all demographics.

I expect that one of these days when Baracko-Bush-Bashing becomes unfashionable: Jeb will again try his hand at politics, he may even come to realize that Reagan-Republicans are still as a politically relevent as they were when his daddy campaigned with him.

“Let’s Roll”