New feminist spin on Tebow ad: We were joking, but, um, not really

posted at 4:36 pm on February 10, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Via Greg Hengler, the spokeswoman from the Womens Media Center attempts to back away — somewhat — from earlier allegations that the Focus on the Family ad run during the Super Bowl encouraged violence against women. Megyn Kelly laughs out loud at the new spin, which is a late shift to counter the criticism that NOW and other feminist groups never bothered to mention the Snickers ad in their outrage over Tim Tebow tackling his mother, and that ad featured a much older Betty White and Abe Vigoda both being tackled. All three were obviously gags, but Shelby Knox kept trying to argue yesterday that it was “bizarre” and some sort of indication of latent hostility towards women and the elderly:

It’s a “distraction from the real point,” all right — the real point being that NOW and other feminist groups who claim to back choice are really only acting as mouthpieces for the abortion industry.  After all, nothing in the Tebow ad mentions abortion at all; it just celebrates the choice Pam Tebow made in continuing her pregnancy.  If Knox, WMC, and NOW are all about choice, isn’t this just as valid a choice as an abortion?  And if so, why does such a positive story about this choice remain so threatening to them that they have to hyperventilate about “elderly abuse” to cover their tracks?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I actually do think…
AnninCA on February 10, 2010 at 8:04 PM

There she goes again……

BigWyo on February 10, 2010 at 9:42 PM

The feminist groups NOW and WMC are so out of touch with real women in America. I am ready for a real feminist group that champions ALL women.

TN Mom on February 10, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Conservative woman is hotter than fish grease (quoted from HA poster who’s name escapes me).

Liberal woman needs to call Jenny Craig and see a stylist.

Yes, I’m being superficial, but it is the point of the thread.

Hog Wild on February 10, 2010 at 11:26 PM

There are few people in Hollywood more vocally progressive than Betty White and she obviously had no problem with the ad, so why should anyone else?

As for the Tebow ad, these people are really reaching. Suppose FOTF had chosen to present the father’s POV regarding choosing life — something we rarely get to see BTW — and Tim had tackled his dad instead. Would that have been OK?

Megyn Kelly is like a surgeon with a scalpel the way she takes apart the arguments of these leftists. I hope President Palin taps her to serve as Press Secretary. ;)

NoLeftTurn on February 10, 2010 at 11:38 PM

So, what does a feminist use for birth control?

Answer: Her personality.

mrpeabody on February 10, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Snort. I may need to post this as my Facebook status.

GinaE on February 10, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Shelby, isn’t there a sink full of dirty dishes that you could be taking care of right now???

BigWyo on February 10, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Oh … you went there, didnt you?

Shambhala on February 11, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Those feminists have such a great sense of humor, don’t they?

The only thing they laugh at is men. And not in the way most women do, like “Can’t live with ‘em but wouldn’t want a day without ‘em.” More like, “Why did God make men, anyway?”

Stupid, silly feminists.

Grace_is_sufficient on February 11, 2010 at 6:06 AM

NOW is trying to make a comeback from a long period during which their message had lost its impact. But, NOW is having difficulty regaining their dominance because they do not have any credibility.

NOW will not regain their dominance until they prove that Women are loosing their respect by others.

MSGTAS on February 11, 2010 at 9:29 AM

BigWyo on February 10, 2010 at 5:02 PM

don’t really want that woman touching my dishes but I do have some dog poop in my back yard she can clean up.

poppieseeds on February 11, 2010 at 9:39 AM

What an absolute moron. And idiots like this vote!! and drive cars!! On the public roads!! Now that is a crime. Not worthy of anything except ridicule. How embarrassing for women. Illustrates the stupidity of leftist feminism.

ultracon on February 11, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I forgot to mention one of Rush’s quotes about feminism being created to allow ugly women access to the mainstream of society…………

ultracon on February 11, 2010 at 10:51 AM

The real problem that the pro-abortion people have is that they can NEVER compete with any advertising that says ‘choose life’. Knowing that they cannot run counter advertising, like ‘choose death’, their only course of action is to deny the free speach of others.

Freddy on February 11, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I love how no one ever talks about the liberty and self determination in choosing what happens to your own body…

that’s the whole thing huh? theses women just want to kill babies… oh the just can’t get enough baby killing… really? really Ed? that’s your argument? they just want to kill babies? perhaps these “liberals” just don’t want the government telling them what to do with their own bodies… and that sounds an awful lot like someone else I’ve heard talking about ObamaCare…

turn down the hyperbole… and you’ll win more people over with facts. like in any other argument.

Kaptain Amerika on February 11, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Watching this clip reminds me of when I was a liberal. I used to talk myself into believing the liberal school of thought no matter the facts because I was “smarter” than everyone else. It was when I really noticed this that my idiology changed. Wathing this shames me for how I was.

pageram on February 11, 2010 at 12:37 PM

Kaptain, there is a small but vocal (and powerful) abortion cult among radical feminists who LOVE ABORTION. We can speculate about why they do, but how else to explain it when they can’t even bear to hear someone argue in favor of INDIVIDUAL CHOICE to bear a child instead of aborting?

And of course, like most pro-abortion folk, you pretend not to understand (unless you’re unusually stupid and really DON’T understand) that the debate about abortion is whether the child/fetus has rights that must be protected.

If there is any argument in the abortion debate that is wildly inconsistent, it is the argument that women should have “reproductive rights” — to which I must ask “where are MEN’S reproductive rights?” After all, if a woman can decide that bearing a child is not an option for her right now for financial reasons, then why can’t a man decide the same thing, and force an abortion? And if it’s murder when someone attacks a pregnant woman and her (wanted) unborn baby dies, why isn’t it murder if she gets an abortion without the man’s consent — after all, it’s his (wanted) baby, too.

But logic is anathema to abortion advocates. They want what they want, when they want it. And neither morality nor logic must be allowed to stand in their way!

RegularJoe on February 11, 2010 at 4:43 PM