Video: Gibbs writing on his hand now to mock Palin; Update: Photoshop added

posted at 4:11 pm on February 9, 2010 by Allahpundit

Imagine: He thought this joke was so good, he actually prepared it before the presser. MKH is calling him the Dane Cook of politics for ripping off a goof that’s already been done three times by national figures, including Palin herself, but it’s worse than that. The Daily Show did a double hit on it last night, first with Stewart reading off his hand and then Wyatt Cenac reading off his belly, so that’s five times at least. Which makes Gibbs — what? The Carlos Mencia of politics, maybe?

People will complain that this is petty and beneath the dignity of the office, but (a) Gibbs partly redeems himself by winking at the ubiquity of their moronic “hope” and “change” buzzwords, (b) Palin is an Al Qaeda accomplice, so she sort of had it coming, and (c) as we’ve discussed before, the White House press briefing is one of the lamest, most useless spectacles in American politics. How can this be beneath the dignity of an office that has no dignity to begin with? The only time the briefing’s worth watching is when Gibbs is forced to defend something especially stupid that Biden said, or when something bad’s happened in the Middle East that sets Helen Thomas up for a “question” about whether we maybe had it coming. Lacking either of those contingencies, if the guy wants to resort to some hackish partisan Mencia-esque schtick to liven things up, I say go crazy.

Update: Reader Derek kicks things off.

515

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I have an inappropriate joke involving Chris Matthews and what`s on his hand.

*Don`t say it…… Don`t say it!*
ThePrez on February 9, 2010 at 5:51 PM

NO !! Don’t say it. Just say he shaves his hand.

Texyank on February 9, 2010 at 10:00 PM

I suspect that stuff was originally written on Gibbs’ wanker.

D2Boston on February 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I don’t think so. Not enough room.

unclesmrgol on February 9, 2010 at 10:03 PM

Darth Executor on February 9, 2010 at 4:13 PM

You owe me. I snorted my milk through my nose.

unclesmrgol on February 9, 2010 at 10:04 PM

She had no teleprompters. That was the entire point.

Enoxo on February 9, 2010 at 4:47 PM

You gotta get your mind out of the gutter.

unclesmrgol on February 9, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Never, but never, during an election had I ever seen a Presidential candidate competing and being compared with the Veep candidate on the other ticket.

Never, but never, do I remember a White House paying much attention at all to the Vice Presidential candidate that was on the losing ticket.

Rush is right…

She’s living rent free in their heads.

INC on February 9, 2010 at 6:12 PM

+1000

unclesmrgol on February 9, 2010 at 10:08 PM

For the Democratic party’s sake, I hope Gibbs wrote: “Jobs, jobs, jobs” in his hand. Otherwise, the next election seems likely to give Democrats the finger instead.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on February 9, 2010 at 10:10 PM

I find writing short, little notes on my hand quite helpful, especially since my wife said she’d like me to talk more during sex.

Rod on February 9, 2010 at 5:58 PM

I’d suggest starting with her name.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on February 9, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Gibbs is an ass. That is so below the dignity of the White House it’s not even funny.

Or at least it should have been. We’ve been infested with vermin.

Tennman on February 9, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Hey, Gibbsy, I dare you to show up with Obama in public wearing your “I’m With Stupid” t-shirt.

ziggyville on February 9, 2010 at 10:26 PM

I wish the SNL skits would go after the teleprompter. The actor sits behind a desk, which Obama rarely does. They scored a light hit with the “jack and squat” skit, but the teleprompter is a real weak spot.

Wethal on February 9, 2010 at 4:17 PM

All they need to do is have Obama standing behind a lectern speaking. Then someone begins pulling the teleprompter around the stage (with Obama following and focused on it), next they head off backstage, and finally into the ladies room, while shocked and screaming women exit. That, I think, will make the point.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on February 9, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Meanwhile, American men and women continue to serve and sacrifice. To think that this clown represents their Commander-in-Chief makes me sick. Sick.

redwhiteblue on February 9, 2010 at 10:32 PM

The Photoshop is a good idea it hides his hairy palm.

Speakup on February 9, 2010 at 10:47 PM

The next 3 years, as far as politics go, can’t go fast enough for me. I can’t believe I’m watching White House officials behave like 12 year olds.

4shoes on February 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM

redwhiteblue on February 9, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Just clicked on this thread for 1st time, saw your post. Nothing more to say. KUDOS.

Marcus on February 9, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Rod on February 9, 2010 at 5:58 PM

I’d suggest starting with her name.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on February 9, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Brilliant! I’ll write that down now.

Perhaps you have some other suggestions, doctor?

Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:

– mmm, baby, baby
– I like your wig
– nice socks

What do you think?

Rod on February 9, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Marcus on February 9, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Thank you. I just love reading all the clever (and very funny) HA posts, but sometimes I am just overwhelmed with sadness and disgust. This Gibbs fool really is an embarrassment to the human race.

redwhiteblue on February 9, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:

– mmm, baby, baby
– I like your wig
nice socks

What do you think?

Rod on February 9, 2010 at 11:17 PM

I’d be careful with the last. Joan Rivers said the one thing a woman didn’t want to find in her Christmas stockings was her husband.

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on February 9, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Someone said a little earlier on the thread that the Rules of Engagament in Afghanistan (which I think are insane and designed to get Americans killed while losing, or at least not kicking azz and getting it done)were put in place by obama. Is this true? It is the most disgusting thing I can think of. Is obama, who couldn’t find his backside with both hands personally responsible for the reprehensible ROEs??

tigerlily on February 10, 2010 at 12:02 AM

“and I’m a PC” – Gibbs

forest on February 10, 2010 at 12:26 AM

In early 2010, Palin has already established herself as the anti-Obama. Amazin’.

Mr. Wednesday Night on February 10, 2010 at 1:30 AM

Gibbs is a child.

2Brave2Bscared on February 10, 2010 at 1:53 AM

What a punk.

Army Brat on February 10, 2010 at 2:38 AM

I can’t believe I’m watching White House officials behave like 12 year olds.

4shoes on February 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM

You need to apologize to a whole lot of 12 year olds.

platypus on February 10, 2010 at 2:51 AM

gibbs = punk ass bitch

long_cat on February 10, 2010 at 3:15 AM

gibbs = punk a$$ b!tch

long_cat on February 10, 2010 at 3:16 AM

The Pillsbury Dough Boy as failed flak catcher!

The catcher is awry and awrong.

What a maroon.

Dhuka on February 10, 2010 at 3:18 AM

If you are a lawyer or academic, this is interesting and funny.

At least we got to read something former Governor Palin actually wrote.

BTW, why does the GOP let real issues like the lack of any review of BHO’s writing, resume and etc. just go by the wayside?

And they are only too eager to cut the birthers as fast as the left wants then to, and still never mention the other info missing on the leader of the free world. Amazing.

IlikedAUH2O on February 10, 2010 at 3:53 AM

I’m starting to think there isn’t a shred of class in the entire lot of them.

There’s a war on, don’t you have better things to do?

hawkdriver on February 10, 2010 at 4:07 AM

Jokes are fine.

But, I don’t think that was the smartest thing to do. At least not from a political standpoint. I know their are many on the left who are positively giddy and you may think they’re neutralizing her, but I’m going to caution you. If you haven’t noticed, Palin’s not the type to back down. She pushes harder; and I envision that woman pushing until 2012. So they’ve essentially given her status as one of the leaders of the opposition. And they’ve legitimized her ability to directly take on the current political structure in the White House.

I’m being absolutely serious about this- do not doubt this woman’s ability. She, like Obama, evokes very strong feelings. On top of that, she has tapped into a message that resonates with a very large base. It’s a bad chess move. That’s all I’m gonna say.

xax on February 10, 2010 at 5:16 AM

Gibbs is scum

bill30097 on February 10, 2010 at 5:35 AM

more demorat trash.

Great_Red_Dragon on February 10, 2010 at 6:17 AM

Gibbs has his reminder written on his shaving mirror in the morning…” I am worthy of this job, I am worthy of this job.”

Nalea on February 10, 2010 at 6:31 AM

As we all know, this is merely another form of the same arrogance and messianic self-aggrandizement all small people exhibit.

Don L on February 10, 2010 at 6:36 AM

THE MOST CLASSLESS ADMINISTRATION EVER!!!!!!

The immaturity from Liberals is stunning. No wonder they appear insane to normal people, they think like 10 year olds. We’re broke because they view the Treasury as Santa Claus and whine and cry when they don’t get their way. I would love for a psychiatrist of note to do a book on their mentality, ie. Daddy issues, being spoiled in expecting someone else to pay, etc…Liberalism is a mental disorder and the administration and synchophantic media prove it everyday.

I’d say the next three years would be rich with this kind of crap and would be funny. Unfortunately, I don’t know if this country will exist in another three years with the garbage that’s in the White House. God, I pray for this Republic everyday……

adamsmith on February 10, 2010 at 6:53 AM

OBAMA
ONE
TERM
ONLY

Moesart on February 10, 2010 at 6:58 AM

And by the way….I’m a big believer in Karmic retribution. For this act of stupidity, the Empty Suit’s teleprompter will crash and he’ll be standing there emming,ahhing,errring himself for maybe two whole minutes before he gets pissed and refuses to go on with a speech because it’s George Bush’s fault the teleprompter doesn’t work. I’d like to see the Communist in Chief get through a speech or interview with only four things written in his hand. Never happen as his intellectuality is not what they make it out to be. His IQ probably only just breaks 100. He’s the first Affirmative Action president, SOB got everything in his life depending on the good will of others. Let’s just see what kind of amazing speaker he is without TOTUS…Damn fools every one of them……

adamsmith on February 10, 2010 at 7:11 AM

D.C. Junior High.

Johan Klaus on February 10, 2010 at 7:44 AM

I doubt that this was Gibb’s idea.

Johan Klaus on February 10, 2010 at 7:54 AM

I am continually amazed that Sarah Palin is running the political agenda of this country from her facebook page. She is a private citizen who is making the White House respond to her. Simply amazing.

Johnnyreb on February 10, 2010 at 7:57 AM

I do so look forward to the day that Bobby Gibblets ends up joining the countless other loyal B.O. followers who end up getting thrown under the bus.

Gibblets so richly deserves this fate!

pilamaye on February 10, 2010 at 8:01 AM

Johnnyreb on February 10, 2010 at 7:57 AM

And some folks say that she is the dumb one.

Johan Klaus on February 10, 2010 at 8:02 AM

I wish we could get the Republicans to write that on their hands before the upcoming lovefest.

And I offer a multimedia trap: When The One asks to hear about their ideas, just present him with a notebook computer with all the GOP sites in the favorites menu. Simultaneously email the list to the media (who couldn’t seem to find any of them in the last year) and broadcast it every way they can. Ok and televise the move.

The GOP should hire us. I wonder if they could afford me..

Coincident tactics are seldom used in politics. A shame.

IlikedAUH2O on February 10, 2010 at 8:13 AM

adamsmith on February 10, 2010 at 6:53 AM

And I would add that you rule.

IlikedAUH2O on February 10, 2010 at 8:14 AM

This administration is pretty transparent about who is bothering them, anyway. It’s not hard to read. *haha

AnninCA on February 10, 2010 at 8:19 AM

I would love for a psychiatrist of note to do a book on their mentality, …Liberalism is a mental disorder …

adamsmith on February 10, 2010 at 6:53 AM

The Liberal Mind: The Psychological Causes of Political Madness

Rod on February 10, 2010 at 8:31 AM

The Democrat pundits and the Republican pundits (yeah, I know…redundant) gather around their cauldrons and voodoo dolls and scratch their bony heads wondering why this Palin menace won’t die.
Their voodoo queen, Ob+ama, assures them that “…any day now she will burst into flames. Stay the course. Remember, the media works for us. We own their souls.”

SKYFOX on February 10, 2010 at 8:35 AM

**YAWN** :lol After seeing Obama use a teleprompter to
speak to a bunch of kids, this story is a dud come back against Palin.

Next topic….

dec5 on February 10, 2010 at 8:36 AM

Now the dumbass in the whitehouse can resign and he’ll be just like Sarah… great news…

NRA Lifer on February 10, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Notice which hand his notes were on, the left of course.

The entire MSM has lost their collective mind. Yes, that is the PC police way of referring to you, me and all of U.S.. The MSM is following President Obama off the cliff as he tries to make all of U.S. believe he has the only answer and disagreement with him must be cured (like a good side of pork/ham) via his Mental “Health Care”.

That’s right Mental Health Care, because there are too many hoops to jump over or through to receive regular Health Care, besides controlling your mind is the only way he and his ilk can remain in power.

MSGTAS on February 10, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I still can’t believe how the left can compare writing a few talking points on a hand as being worse than using a teleprompter to talk to elementary school kids!

jeffn21 on February 10, 2010 at 10:09 AM

All Obama is doing is reminding us that it’s them against us… My gov’t is my enemy… Sarah Palin is my C. I C… Their actions tell me so…

CCRWM on February 10, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I hope they keep on mocking the hand notes

It takes a much higher IQ to generate a coherent and entertaining speech with a couple notes, than to read a speech written by a flack off a teleprompter

Notice I said generate, not repeat from crib notes.

It is obvious Palin is able to weave together a coherent dialogue on the fly

Every time the MSM praises Obama’s ability to read the teleprompter, his image takes a hit, an he looks more and more like an incompetent puppet

And it makes his defenders look like fools

entagor on February 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Am I the only one reminded of Comical Ali(Saddam’s Press spokesman) every time Gibbs speaks?

jpmn on February 10, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Bonus question: How much free publicity did Gibbs and the MSM give Sarahcuda in the last five days? Round off to the nearest million.

SurferDoc on February 10, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Let me get this straight: Gibbs’ boss can’t give a speech without a teleprompter feeding him every single word he’s supposed to say, and yet he’s mocking Palin for relying upon a few crib notes written on her hand?

DubiousD on February 10, 2010 at 3:58 PM

jpmn on February 10, 2010 at 1:07 PM

‘Round here the guy you’re thinking of is known as Baghdad Bob, usually. Miss his comedy routine. Great sense of timing. :) Maybe this one should be nicknamed “West Wing Bob”?

RD on February 10, 2010 at 7:51 PM

entagor on February 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Loved your post and I think there’s gotta be something else going on, namely:

DubiousD on February 10, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Maybe this is what it’s about: it obviously can’t be about the hand-written notes as a crutch per se. Like you said, their guy loses that contest hands-down (ba-rum-pum).

So what’s it about? What’s the hook here?

One aspect is simplying denying Palin the use of her hand as a “safe” tool within her comfort zone, or at least they’re hoping for this, the idea being that now, every time she gives a speech, their pals in the media can make wise-cracks about it in an effort to make her self-conscious about the use of her all-important hand until she either drops it or it weighs on her mind.

But there’s something else about it. I think that they believe that writing on your hand is something that only schoolgirls do, before a test. It’s an emotional reminder of both adolescence and cheating (the idea being that to these elitists there’s no bona fide reason for ever writing on your hand). Their main angle may be, to try to infantilize her somehow by doing this.

The ‘cheating’ image is just a subtle overtone, as it’s not really concrete; the overriding purpose I’m guessing is a form of age regression.

Maybe all of this was obvious to you guys from the outset, but it’s just sinking in with me. Haven’t seen this idea discussed much though. In their rush to point the finger at her, they clearly don’t realize (or fear) the three fingers pointing back at them, on the issue of verbal acuity; but on the issue of “grown-up-ness”, a teleprompter at least looks more “grown-up” on the surface than some ink scrawled on your hand.

I think it could be that shallow. And who knows, that may be effective on some level.

Could that be the end of the pool they’re trying to play in? Wouldn’t surprise me -

RD on February 10, 2010 at 7:56 PM

I long for the days when the oval office had class…and maturity…Now, with a president who likes to talk about how young he is (which in and of itself is childish) and a press secretary who acts like the class clown, it is like an extension of elementary school. If anything goes wrong, Obama can always blame his youth…Can you imagine Teddy Roosevelt or John F. Kennedy resorting to such idiocy?

theaddora on February 11, 2010 at 8:04 AM