Poll of Alabama Republicans: Huckabee 33, Palin 23, Romney 12

posted at 5:31 pm on February 9, 2010 by Allahpundit

Yeah, granted, it’s practically home-field advantage for a former governor of Arkansas, but it’s also evidence of Huck’s abiding strength in the south even as Palin’s national profile expands. How’s this for a three-way race: Mitt captures the northeast, Huck takes dixie, and Sarahcuda uses her Jacksonian cred to grab the plains states. And then everything comes down to … California.

I shiver at the traffic possibilities.

If Huckabee chooses to run again in 2012, something that is far from a sure thing, he will again be formidable in early states such as Iowa and South Carolina, where much of the Republican base consists of social conservatives.

“Huckabee has a good regional appeal due to his Southern status and residual support,” said Mike Baselice, the Texas-based GOP pollster who conducted the survey. “People vote for who they know and like.”

According to the poll, Huckabee also leads Palin by 10 points among Republicans who describe themselves as “very conservative.” His lead grows to 16 points among Republicans who say they’re “somewhat conservative.”

“I’m a little surprised about Palin’s numbers, but Alabama has a strong tea party movement, with which she has strong appeal,” said Brent Buchanan, whose Alabama-based firm, Public Strategy Associates, commissioned the poll.

“You don’t need to be a winger to like Huckabee, in other words,” says Matt Continetti of that boldfaced bit, but I wonder if the six-point bump among moderates has more to do with Huck’s alleged centrist appeal or with anti-Palin sentiment among moderate conservatives. Remember, a Fox News poll last month showed that 17 percent of Republicans would cross over to vote for Obama if she’s the nominee compared to just nine percent if the nominee is Romney. Which means, as her star rises, we may start seeing an intramural version within the GOP of the Palin polarization that affects Democrats and Republicans, with centrist conservatives taking an “anyone but Sarah” approach to counter the tea-party movement’s “no one but Sarah” sentiment.

Exit quotation via Continetti: “A primary that pits the powers-that-be against social conservatives and Tea Party nation will be nasty (but fun!).” Er, yeah. Wouldn’t it also tear the GOP apart, suppress turnout in the general election, and all but guarantee Obama’s reelection?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

They didn’t poll this Alabama conservative!

doginblack on February 10, 2010 at 11:12 AM

As a native of Alabama I can honestly say this poll doesn’t surprise me—if it was conducted at a covered dish gathering in the Fellowship Hall of the First Baptist Church of (fill in the blank). Huckaphony will NEVER be president. And if the GOP is foolish enough to nominate him they deserve to lose.

Redneck Woman on February 10, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Huck anything a good name for a president. In AP’s dream.

rlwo2008 on February 10, 2010 at 11:30 AM

I voted for Mitt here in Alabama. So did my Father. We figured it would be the only chance we’d get. A lot of people here can’t get past Mitt’s faith for some reason. Would have been happy with Rudy too, but he had already blown up in Florida. I don’t know about y’all, but compared to what we have, I think we’d be damn lucky to have either one of them in 2012.

Cornbread on February 10, 2010 at 11:41 AM

The Huckster is no conservative.

1. He supports the McCain Shamnesty bill.
2. He is a big social spender.
3. He keeps letting murders go free (I live near Tacoma, WA).

I could go on but that should do it.

Romney is a financial genius. We could use one of those about now.

The Rock on February 10, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I like both Huckabee and Palin. Right now, Romney seems like Bush retread. No thanks.

I like Huckabee’s experience and fluidity. That’s fun. Sarah is more fun, because she’s still not beaten up by national politics (I know…sounds ironic, but it’s true.)

She’s still got some fight left in her, which I enjoy. Huckabee is a bit glib.

But overall, he seems like a really good guy to me.

AnninCA on February 10, 2010 at 12:22 PM

The powers-that-be encouraged Huck last time to be a spoiler. Huck is on a roll and he probably would take the bait again. I will let someone else vote for Huck if it comes to that. I did not like his inability to see what was going on in the last election.

However, the dynamics have changed greatly since the last election. Even Huck will be viewed differently by the various voting blocs

Tea Party nation represents the independents and they are not Huckites as a group. The powers that be have to consider that apple this time around. Tea party nation is the tip of the iceberg.

Jobs and economy will dominate, because a bigger crash is coming than we already experience. I do not see how they can put it off before the next presidential election.

Palin noted a war would also change the dynamics, and a war may well begin if the dominos fall

entagor on February 10, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Wow, a lot of you here compare Huckabee to John McCain. But Huck isn’t the one campaigning for Johnny Mac now is he…………..

Iowans Rock on February 10, 2010 at 2:06 PM

If Huck and Palin run, Romney wins it. Look for Mittens and the Romneycare geniuses to push Huck,hard, to try to keep Palin out. Could backfire on the financial genius, however.

james23 on February 10, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Romney is a financial genius. We could use one of those about now.

The Rock on February 10, 2010 at 12:18 PM

How’s that Romneycare socialism working out for you, genius?

james23 on February 10, 2010 at 2:23 PM

How’s that Romneycare socialism working out for you, genius?

james23 on February 10, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Hey genius,

RomneyCare isn’t socialized care. Get your facts straight.

ObamaCare is attempting to ram a single-payer plan through Congress which is certainly is a socialist plan since its a government take over of health care.

Mitt Romney’s plan is not socialist because there is no single payer program. Those covered in Massachusetts are covered through the private sector, even the person recieves financial assistance from the government in order to obtain coverage from the private insurer.

Let me make the difference real clear for you:

ObamaCare provides coverage to ALL people via the Unites States Government.

RomneyCare provides coverage via private sector even if government pays for it.

Finally, Romney plan is in line with the constitutional principle called “federalism” in which allows states to make their own choices in protecting and providing for the citizens of that state.

But since you don’t understand the distinctions between Obama’s plan and Mitt’s plan and fail to realize the constitutional concept of federalism, you’re no genius.

Conservative Samizdat on February 10, 2010 at 2:52 PM

It certainly applies to Huck. Romney is a proven business leader. He has plenty of experience running private sector businesses effectively. His turn around of the Olympics is just one small example. I would be very comfortable with Romney in charge of the economy. I would also be comfortable with him on foreign affairs, given his history of business negotiations.

MJBrutus on February 10, 2010 at 5:36 AM

I don’t care about Romney’s business background. If success at business were the standard for success as president, Bill Gates or Steve Jobs would be the front-runners. They’ve shown far more acumen than Romney, since they started with far less.

I’m looking for someone with integrity and common sense.

ddrintn on February 10, 2010 at 3:48 PM

“Second look at Huckabee?”

How many times do we have to say NO?

NO NO NO.

And NO.

Barring something incredible, the answer will still be NO in the 2012 primaries.

I still say Palin takes the nomination and then take Romney as her VP. How this would be a losing ticket is beyond me, unless the Dems can spin the “religious extremist” meme really, really well. Which they might, to be fair.

The scenario again: Romney and Huckabee split the anti-Palin vote, so she takes the nom, then selects Romney to bring in the moderates. Victory. Tell me I’m wrong.

Animator Girl on February 10, 2010 at 5:39 PM

I’ve seen this post before, I think it even had the “second look” comment. Got anything new?

kg598301 on February 10, 2010 at 7:01 PM

And if the GOP is foolish enough to nominate him they deserve to lose.

2012 will result in a defeat of The One only if a candidate that appeals to independents and fiscally conservative democrats is nominated. The candidate needs to demonstrate an intent and an ability to get government out of all facets of people’s lives.

EconomicNeocon on February 11, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Anyone naming her son “Track” or “Trig” must be as stupid as they come… Palin is stupid, uneducated, vulgar and comes with a squeaky and annoying voice. I can’t stand her.
Not everyone claiming to be a conservative is competent to be president. I am ashamed of my fellow conservatives who do not seem to get this simple fact: A conservative stance is a required but not sufficient condition for political office.
How can you even think of supporting that airhead? Huckabee has experience and he knows what conservatism really stands for – not “no taxes and let the poor die in the street” like the teabag crowd. That is just vulgar neoliberalism. A true conservative takes responsibility for his lessers and takes a fatherly interest in them. Huckabee and Buchanan they know this.
So I say
Pat Buchanan / Huckabee for 2012.
By the way, there should be a law against mormonism. It is a dangerous cult so the federal government should take the children away from these cultists and send the parents to re-education camp, just like they did small scale in 2008.

JC Silverberg on February 12, 2010 at 1:23 PM