Michael Steele: My critics are racist

posted at 4:54 pm on February 9, 2010 by Allahpundit

He’s talking about press reports specifically, so either he means the media’s racist or its sources are. Which isn’t helpful to anyone — except him, of course, insofar as it guarantees that no RNC members will dare try to oust him before his term is up. So don’t even bother with the “Steele must go” stuff in the comments. He’s here to stay. Racists.

Shut up, he explained:

Steele acknowledges that at times he has a tendency to take things too far. “And I get checked on that, just as when I was a young boy and I pushed the envelope too far and my Mama was there to check me.”

But there’s an edge to his voice when he talks about a double standard that he believes has been applied by his critics, and he posits racism as the cause: “I don’t see stories about the internal operations of the DNC that I see about this operation. Why? Is it because Michael Steele is the chairman, or is it because a black man is chairman?”

Just spitballing here, but maybe the media focuses on internal ops at the RNC to gauge whether he’s managing the committee’s treasury well enough to justify his dopey, damaging, self-defeating soundbites. Fundraising has been good, but the RNC started this year with just $8.7 million in the bank, $14 million less than it started 2009 with and the lowest total they’ve had heading into an election year this decade. Good enough to make the occasional “my critics are racists” bon mot tolerable? Hmmm. Exit question: For all the grief we give O-bots for playing racial politics in defense of their guy, has Obama himself played it as much as Steele has? Remember, Steele claimed that some white Republicans fear him and sat passively while D.L. Hughley said the convention looked like a Nazi rally. In fact, he once played the race card on Obama himself in questioning why the White House was pressuring David Paterson to retire. Has The One hit this theme as much as he has?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

When all else fails, PULL THE RACE CARD ON ‘EM!
Scare them into submission!

Cybergeezer on February 9, 2010 at 6:32 PM

So does that make me a raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist?!!!!

pilamaye on February 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM

No, but calling him Steppin’ Fetchit does.

notropis on February 9, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Hey, Stepin Fetchit Steele!

Consider ME one of your critics!

So does that make me a raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist?!!!!

pilamaye on February 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Kind of, yeah.

Narutoboy on February 9, 2010 at 6:34 PM

How is that?

Narutoboy on February 9, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Um, I guess I would expect something other than selling political valentines at the head of the RNC home page. The page doesn’t navigate well and seems to miss the gravity of what is happening in the country now. IMHO

Other than that, it’s kinda cute.

swede7 on February 9, 2010 at 6:34 PM

It’s the color of your skin, it is NOT content of your character!

rjoco1 on February 9, 2010 at 6:26 PM

FIFY
Title 7 Civil Rights Act.

Cybergeezer on February 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Hey, Stepin Fetchit Steele!

Consider ME one of your critics!

So does that make me a raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacist?!!!!

pilamaye on February 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM

No. It makes you racist.

baldilocks on February 9, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Hey, Stepin Fetchit Steele!
pilamaye on February 9, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Hit the arrow an the upper left….KOS or HuffnBlow are over there somewhere.

yoda on February 9, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Steele:

“I don’t see stories about the internal operations of the DNC that I see about this operation. Why?”

Media treating the RNC tougher than the DNC? What’s the difference? R vs. D? Tough to figure?

Sowell Disciple on February 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Michael Steele: My critics are racist

It seems sufficient to know whether their critique is accurate or inaccurate.

Kralizec on February 9, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Yes, all of us are racist. So?

lizzee on February 9, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Mike,

I cheered your butt on to victory, and I was wrong. I was impressed that you seemed to be the only Republican willing and able to articulate a position in front of a camera. That talent seemed to evaporate when you assumed the chairmanship. You became harder to find than Waldo at a striped-shirt convention.

That doesn’t make me racist; it just makes me disappointed. I said it before, and I’ll say it again:

GO STEELE!

(and don’t let the door knob hit you where the good Lord split ya)

Laura in Maryland on February 9, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I knew he was a loser when he was picked by the higher ups in the GOP…

Losers pick a loser…….ANOTHER GREAT JOB FROM THE DYING GOP!!!!

Close the coffin gang the GOP is dead.

PappyD61 on February 9, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I’m a racist jerk (by today’s standard) and I like Steele. Go figure that one out, Mike.

IlikedAUH2O on February 9, 2010 at 11:23 PM

I think he is absolutely right. His critics are racist. The Palin bashers are sexist. All of that is obvious. The debate really is over on those subjects.

I think both have the right ideas – and these RINO’s who criticize either of them are simply criticizing them because they are not white men.

Mr Purple on February 10, 2010 at 12:40 AM

I really liked him before he got this job and thought he would do a good job. He isn’t doing a good job but if the GOP wins in 2010 he should stay on board.

lavell12 on February 9, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Because, you know, winning is all that matters…

2Brave2Bscared on February 10, 2010 at 2:07 AM