Great news: Captain America ready to take on evil scourge of, er, tea partiers

posted at 7:54 pm on February 9, 2010 by Allahpundit

Also in this issue: Captain America’s secret identity revealed to be Chris Matthews.

In issue number 602 of Captain America, a new story line has begun called “Two Americas.” In it the current Captain (there have been a few of them, apparently) is on the trail of a faux Captain America that is mentally deranged and getting chummy with some white supremacist, anti-government, survivalists types going by the name of “the Watchdogs.” While investigating this subversive group, Captain America and his partner The Falcon — a black super hero — have decided to try and infiltrate the secretive organization.

In preparation for the infiltration, Marvel Comics depicts the two super heroes out of costume and observing from a rooftop a street filled with what can only be described as a Tea Party protest. The scene shows crowds of people in city streets carrying signs that say, “stop the socialists,” “tea bag libs before they tea bag you,” and “no to new taxes.” Naturally, the people in these crowds are depicted as being filled with nothing but white folks…

The two then discuss their plan to infiltrate the subversive group that Marvel comics seems to be linking to the Tea Party movement. This discussion culminates in The Falcon wondering how a black man would do such a thing. “I don’t exactly see a black man from Harlem fitting in with a bunch of angry white folks,” he tells the incognito Captain America.

The Captain tells him, “no it’s perfect… this all fits right into my plan.” After this we find that the Captain’s plan is to send the black man into a redneck bar to pretend to be a black man working for the IRS and to get everyone all mad… because… well, you know that every white person is a racist that hates black civil servants, right?

I’m surprised the archvillian isn’t a female superhero from Alaska with glasses and “big breasts,” the way the right-wing rabble likes ‘em. Something to shoot for in the next issue, I guess. If you’re surprised by any of this, you haven’t been paying attention: We’ve written sporadically about Marvel’s turn to the left for years now, most recently with Spider-Man’s Sullivan-esque worship of The One but more pertinently with Captain America’s assassination in 2007 — yes, really — after he became the leader of an anti-government civil libertarian movement. My, how Marvel’s take on protesting federal policy has shifted over three years. Exit question: Do any of you guys still read this crap, or have the politics chased you away?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

politicize rather…

Ampersand on February 9, 2010 at 8:53 PM

I haven’t followed any comics since “Nguyen Charlie

schmuck281 on February 9, 2010 at 8:55 PM

And here is comics take on Obama

vs their take on Bush…

Ampersand on February 9, 2010 at 8:56 PM

It`s been more than a few years since I have. Haven`t there always been the occasional mingling of politics in comic books?

ThePrez on February 9, 2010 at 8:56 PM

This saddens me. I haven’t really thought about comics for many, many (many!) years, but as a kid, Captain America was always my favorite. Fighting the Nazi’s & the Red Skull and all that. Plus, he didn’t have any super powers (as I recall), he was just a badass with a shield

mctowler on February 9, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Want to laugh at how ridiculous it is?

Ampersand on February 9, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Wow. I had no idea it was that bad.

Urban Infidel on February 9, 2010 at 9:03 PM

I was always a big fan of Captain America and credit my enlistment largely to idolizing him, but after 911 the comic got too insulting and I had to stop reading it.

Comics in general started sucking when their creators started taking themselves so seriously. You try to read them now and they are just tedious and preachy. I do not mind messages in my art — even messages I disagree with but the people who write comics overestimate their own intellectual ability.

StubbleSpark on February 9, 2010 at 9:08 PM

This is very sad.

But one of the highest regarded Superman stories is called Red Son. It imagines if Superman had been raised by the Soviets. He implements socialist policies to take over every nation, until he finally realizes he has to attack the US to save it from itself and bring one world order. In the end he finally comes to realize that the government shouldn’t be taking over the lives of people, and that the nanny state is a failure. I’m oversimplifying it, but while it came out in 2003, but was ahead of its time in predicting where we are today.

redeye on February 9, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I don’t think any of mine are higher than #150.

Dusty on February 9, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I thought the good Captain dead. Or was that a Bobby Ewing dream?

Going left sounds like a dumb ploy. Sure the comics want to be topical, but at the expense of driving off a significant chunk of your audience? Doesn’t seem to make good business sense. I know we are talking liberal mind-set her, but still……

Mallard T. Drake on February 9, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Tried reading that crap when I was 10.

Realized it was crap even then.

greggriffith on February 9, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I thought the good Captain dead. Or was that a Bobby Ewing dream?

Mallard T. Drake on February 9, 2010 at 9:15 PM

He was dead. He got better.

and no, I’m not kidding.

Ampersand on February 9, 2010 at 9:21 PM

This is far more serious than you think. You have to read Mao before you dismiss this technique. In his China he used “big character Posters”, plays, movies, opinion pieces in newspapers and other common communication tools to attack and criticize his enemies. He issued reports that “found” whoever he targeted guilty of transgressions ranging from not being a good revolutionary to criticizing something Mao supported.

This is exactly what the left learned from his time in power. Do not discount their desire to control every aspect of communication. They are trying to convince your children Obama is the chosen path.

This guy is seriously twisted.

archer52 on February 9, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I’m not criticizing, but they aren’t that big. Not that I have been looking…….

Mallard T. Drake on February 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I quit “reading” this crap when I discovered girls.

ronsfi on February 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM

well…

not in this book maybe…

but here?

Ampersand on February 9, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I do not expect scott pilgrm vs. the world to have any liberal tones to it. the guy who owns the movie rights is a true patriot.

Vincenzo on February 9, 2010 at 9:33 PM

After Looney Tunes, comics quickly ceased being comical.

docdave on February 9, 2010 at 9:34 PM

Nice cut and paste job there Allah. Has anybody read the link here? Forgot to put this in.
The black character asks the out of costume Captain, “What the hell is this?” And follows that with, “looks like some kind of anti-tax protest.” The Falcon character then snidely tells his partner the Captain, “So I guess this whole ‘hate the government’ vibe around here isn’t limited to the Watchdogs.”
Even beyond the paraphrased garbage here, I’m amused by the comments in this thread in hating Capt. America. Oh no, Capt. America doesn’t like white supremacists. So Warner Todd Huston can’t see the forest from the trees… and likens white supremacists to tea party people. Wow, talking about taking it from both sides. Not only the left bringing up this meme, but now the right?

disillusioned on February 9, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I don’t think you guys understand the comic industry. Some of the original founders in the 30′s were open socialists. Stan Lee is an admitted atheist. The industry has been old-school left since its early beginnings and only changes when they make money, which they haven’t since the late 80′s, early 90′s.

AP – serious offer. If you want me to break the comic industry down for the Green Room, send me an email.

budfox on February 9, 2010 at 9:37 PM

I quit “reading” this crap when I discovered girls.

ronsfi on February 9, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Sounds about right to me.

Gang-of-One on February 9, 2010 at 9:38 PM

I proclaim to Iran that Marvel Comics is run by a Jewish Danish cartoon syndicate.

Coronagold on February 9, 2010 at 9:43 PM

of course, they’re BOTH fake Captain Americas.

one, the “hero” I guess is actually bucky barnes, not Steve Rogers (the original Captain America).

after WW2 “bucky” was reprogrammed by the russians as an assassin called “Winter Soldier”.

Steve Rogers/Captain America is assassinated after the superhuman registration Civil War. he saw registration as an erosion of civil liberties, and thus opposed them. Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier then took the name and the costume.

so..of course captain america/bucky barnes sees the tea party movement as dangerous…we don’t like socialists or communists. he IS a socialist.

warhorse_03826 on February 9, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I have fond memories of Mad Magazine from 30+ years ago…

… only to see the parodies come true.

Seven Percent Solution on February 9, 2010 at 8:04 PM

That idiot Alfred E. Neuman always had some interesting observations. One of my favorites: “The U.N. is a place where governments opposed to free speech demand to be heard!”

Gang-of-One on February 9, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I wonder if as a child Obama wanted to be like Kaptain Amerika…

MeatHeadinCA on February 9, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Bwhaha! WTF is that?!

TheBigOldDog on February 9, 2010 at 9:56 PM

mechkiller_k on February 9, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Well, there’s hope for America yet :-)

Rightwingguy on February 9, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Do any of you guys still read this crap, or have the politics chased you away?

Still read this crap? Never have, never will. I was too busy reading Beowulf, The Odyssey, Kristen Lavransdatter, The Lord of the Rings and other real works of literature.

atheling on February 9, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Little kids couldn’t care less about political crap in comics.

And no one else should be reading comic books.

So who the hell are the “writers” compositing this drivel for?

The story should be about brain-sucking creatures, infiltrating from an alternate dimension, called Gee-Headies ~who hate and fear women and want to freeze the Earth in a Bronze Age state of barbarism and ignorance.

(Not implying anything to do with Islam, of course.)

profitsbeard on February 9, 2010 at 10:15 PM

The back of my storage holds a few boxes of comics. Late elementary school and middle school started me down the *BAM* and *POW* road. But the broody tortured souls of the characters started showing up more and more. Then for me the two “fumes” arrived to distract me. Car fume and perfume.

rihar on February 9, 2010 at 10:22 PM

atheling on February 9, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Well I collected Spiderman. (Amazing, Peter Parker, Spectacular, etc.) (Shrug)

Rightwingguy on February 9, 2010 at 10:24 PM

atheling on February 9, 2010 at 10:11 PM

see… I read all those AND comics… crazy me.

Who told you you could only do one or the other?

Ampersand on February 9, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Captain America- not all that familiar. I did jump on the boat for “The Ultimates”- where Marvel’s going with the various tie-ins- Cap America being one.

It’s kinda sad seeing it in such hands. Would I use the “I” word? Yet? Not yet; but we’re not quite a pair of three irons away & closing in.

Man. I sound like such an old bastid.

ChipDWood on February 9, 2010 at 10:40 PM

The only comics I ever liked were Judge Dredd and Lobo.
Now that I think about it, they were decidedly libertarian.

stevezilla on February 9, 2010 at 10:41 PM

The last comic I read was The Watchmen. I even gave up on Popular Science because it has become so politicized. I hope Popular Mechanics can avoid the lefty socialist crap.

Mojave Mark on February 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM

I put up with a lot of AGW scaremongering from PopSci for a while. I finally threw in the towel after their cover story about the Chinese stealing western tech, and their complete bent on it was ‘Boy, look at all the neat things we’re going to get cheap when the Chinese flood the market with the IP they’ve stolen.’

Too bad, I enjoyed a lot of the magazine, but they went bizarre-wacky to the Left and into absolute irresponsibility.

I quit comics back mid-80s, and wouldn’t go back to them for anything– they’re nihilist grotesqueries now.

Jack Kirby is rolling in his grave.

snickelfritz on February 9, 2010 at 10:45 PM

All the kids better like The One. How do you think He is treated by their NEA dictators in the classroom?

IlikedAUH2O on February 9, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Little kids couldn’t care less about political crap in comics.

And no one else should be reading comic books.

So who the hell are the “writers” compositing this drivel for?

(Not implying anything to do with Islam, of course.)

profitsbeard on February 9, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I’m amazed how ignorant people who don’t read comics are when it comes to comics… but you’ll act like an expert.

This is like watching the Wiggles and then saying TV is for children. Or watching Star Wars and saying movies are for scifi nerds.

I just read a great comic about the Battle of Crecy and how it changed warfare. Next I’ll probably read one about the “Little Iron Men” of the 442nd Regimental Combat Team and their rescue of the 141st Infantry from behind enemy lines. I actually met some of the few remaining men from the 442nd when they were promoting the book.

Ampersand on February 9, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I stopped reading comic books when I realized that the frequency of a boy’s comic book reading was inversely related to his success with girls. I was about 11.

OhioCoastie on February 9, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I wonder if this dolt who does the comic is getting any of the liberal Obama propaganda money that they were funneling thru the National Endowment for the Arts.. NEA?

PhilipJames on February 9, 2010 at 11:11 PM

they’re nihilist grotesqueries now.

Well put.

exlibris on February 9, 2010 at 11:13 PM

“You can make your superhero a psychopath, you can draw gut-splattering violence, and you can call it a ‘graphic novel,’ but comic books are still incredibly stupid.”
–Bill Watterson

exlibris on February 9, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Meh.

spmat on February 9, 2010 at 11:33 PM

The ‘Nam, Weird War Tales and Sgt. Rock are pretty much my likes in this art form…er, I guess also the Archie comic books, but I was very young…

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 10, 2010 at 12:43 AM

I stopped buying comics several years ago, mainly because the prices had grown too high but also because the politics had become so tedious.

The politics aren’t new, it should be said. They’ve been Leftwing as long as they’ve been published. What else could they be, really, since they’ve been produced by New York liberals since the 1940s.

What makes it so much harder to take nowadays, for me, is that so many of the writers now have an online presence where they interact directly with fans and, far, far too often, it becomes clear that these guys come straight out of the cesspools at Democratic Underground.

Stan Lee probably does, too, but you didn’t have to come face to face with him shrieking “TEA-BAGGER!!!!” in your face back then the way you do with the current crop of writers.

Kensington on February 10, 2010 at 12:58 AM

You know what, I liked Captain America better when he was dead. At least that way he couldn’t be used to masquerade as a patriot in the name of a distinctly unpatriotic ideology (liberalism, if you’re not paying attention). Hey Marvel, when’s the next time you’re going to kill him “for real”?

R. Waher on February 10, 2010 at 1:00 AM

Well I collected Spiderman. (Amazing, Peter Parker, Spectacular, etc.) (Shrug)

Rightwingguy on February 9, 2010 at 10:24 PM

And yet you never learned how to properly spell “Spider-Man”? Tsk tsk.

Kensington on February 10, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Who told you you could only do one or the other?

Ampersand on February 9, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Never said that. Only meant that I had better things to spend my time reading. Ever hear of, “So many books, so little time”? They weren’t talking about comic books.

I don’t care, really. Whatever floats your boat, but from the subject of this thread, it’s clear that it’s no great loss that I never read comic books.

atheling on February 10, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Yup, politics insinuating itself into too many ‘entertainment’ venues chased me away years ago. Things I used to read just aren’t worth throwing good money at any longer. And I don’t even consider going to the movies at all, and haven’t been in a theater since around 1997. With new releases I just wait for the movies to get to cable, and in the meantime pay close attention to reviews by people I trust to express how the story was handled. I get enough politics daily without having to suffer with that rhetoric being stuffed down my throat via entertainment products that once were a source for escaping real life issues.

KendraWilder on February 10, 2010 at 1:13 AM

I disagree that comics were left-wing from the start. The motivation for the Fantastic Four’s fateful launch into space was to “beat the commies” there.

The relevance craze of the 1970s pushed both Marvel and DC leftward… and Marvel’s pendulum never swung back.

Ralph64 on February 10, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Lame Lib comics….ewwwwww.

dec5 on February 10, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Well, my name is “Black Adam” — named for a supervillain in the DC Comics universe and arch-enemy of Captain Marvel (Shazam!).

That being said, I am not a big Marvel Comics fan. Lately they portray civilians as angry mobs that call everyone a socialist. In addition, they killed Captain America (Steve Rogers) in this political stunt that I think they regret now. The new Cap is “Bucky”, his sidekick from WWII who became this mix of John Kerry (Viet Nam Winter Soldier) and Lee Harvey Oswald for a long time. Then suddenly, he’s rebooted and turned into Captain America (after some therapy from Iron Man). I couldn’t handle it.

Spider-Man is just as bad.

Even though Disney now owns Marvel, they are hands-off when it comes to the creative process.

I’d rather just watch the movies…literally less drama.

Black Adam on February 10, 2010 at 2:21 AM

Just a side note:

Everyone needs to stop bashing the ‘Superman becomes a communist’ book. Have any of you even read it? Basically, it shows communism in a very negative light and in the end Superman realizes that freedom is best, even freedom to do what is wrong. For most of the book Commie Superman is still seen as the “bad guy.”

I don’t know why the hell Millar was comparing Red Son to George Bush in the quote there, maybe his intentions for writing it were different, but honestly I thought it was a good old school “Yay America!” book.

emmaline1138 on February 10, 2010 at 2:53 AM

KendraWilder on February 10, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Wow, you hit the nail on the head. Leftists pervert everything with politics. Add to that Hollywood thinks three hours of CGI substitutes for a decent script.

The perversion of comics is another facet of liberal creepiness. The tragedy is that storytelling in comics was often superior to what you could find on TV or in movies.

Feedie on February 10, 2010 at 3:19 AM

Exit answers: No. Partially; that and the price. Why pay $3 for 5-10 minutes of lectures on leftist dogma?

Jim Treacher on February 10, 2010 at 4:01 AM

Ampersand on February 9, 2010 at 8:52 PM

I didn’t see it, but did you get this one?

Botchman

Kini on February 10, 2010 at 4:32 AM

The first the thing real Captain America would do is beat the living crap out of Obama and kick him out of the White House for violating all that America stands for.

I don`t read the comics of late and it looks like I won`t be reading Marvel. I will perhaps trust and verify this piece by buying an issue of Captain America. And if I get a whiff of some illiberal crap, the comic is liner for my macaw`s cage. The macaw will then poop on the comic book and probably chew up part of it into the bargain.

And Marvel won`t see my dime at the moooovies. For that is where I have enjoyed my Marvel.

Has DC gone PC, too?

What a downer!

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2010 at 4:53 AM

And that illustration at the top . . . .

Is that what Captain America looks like these days?

With that creepy smile and . . . . Hey! Is that Ben Affleck wearing that Captain America costume or what?

I don`t remember Captain American being no damn metrosexual!

He should be scowling and ready to kick some ass!

Creepy!

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2010 at 5:16 AM

Screw You, Cap’n America.

Last time I bother with anything with a MARVEL label on it. Their movies are craptacular, anyway. I will admit that I was looking forward to Iron Man 2, just because I like Robert Downey Jr. in anything. But screw ‘dat.

Downey barely made having the excerable Gwenneth Paltrow on the screen tolerable, anyway…

Haiku Guy on February 10, 2010 at 6:33 AM

There must be some way to reach these guys. They don’t seem to be aware of the true nature of these gatherings, though they immediately recognized the validity of and many participated in similar protests against a President. I don’t recall the press opposing or otherwise disapproving of these demonstrations or portrayals of that President. None of the talking heads mentioned treason, aiding the enemy or negative comments of any kind. Now things have “changed”. Yeah, I see it now. The change is that dissent is no longer the highest form of patriotism.
The post about Mao employing these tactics makes too much sense. One of Obamas many Czars or other apointees is on video stating, “We kind of agree with Mao, that political power comes from the barrel of a gun.” He went on…”We shall first (I might not be getting this verbatim) use the power of persuasion on? the American people. And if that fails we shall then use the persuasion of power”. That and the “political power comes from the barrel of a gun” thing. If that doan quicken yer pulse there’s something very wrong with ya. This and Mao on an ornament hanging from the White House Christmas tree…little hints that something is very wrong.

Army Brat on February 10, 2010 at 7:12 AM

I loved Y: The Last Man. The premise was great. Everything with a Y chromosome drops dead except for one guy. The world absolutely goes nuts completely run by women.

Fables is another good series.

Vertigo has some good series but you have to sort out the heavy lib crap from the decent titles.

Pcoop on February 10, 2010 at 7:56 AM

I miss JACK KIRBY and the days when the Captain was a flag against Communism and Nazism.

btw, in time the quality of the drawings has decreased dramatically together with that of the stories.

windbags on February 10, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Hating the government when a liberal is President is RACIST!

Its really just that simple.

Speedwagon82 on February 10, 2010 at 8:06 AM

What can you expect from a government-project super-soldier? Cap got da chip in his head.

Gak. I may have to forego seeing Iron Man II. Disney b@stards!

Venusian Visitor on February 10, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Ampersand on February 9, 2010 at 8:52 PM

MMMMMMMM; MMMMMMM; MMMMMMMM.
I wish I could nail down who is exactly behind this crap. I’d put good money on sycophants from and in this administration, since they’ve already shown their intention to brainwash our children.
For adult content, this is okay. But for kids, this is criminal. They should be indicted.

Cybergeezer on February 10, 2010 at 8:19 AM

A world with superheroes would have completely different politics than what we have now. Thats why I always hate it when they show comic books having the same Presidents etc.

Speedwagon82 on February 10, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Do I read this crap? No. My idea of a comic book hero was Scrooge McDuck. The problem is that youngsters DO read this crap. You know, the kids that are victims of a “publick skool edakashun”. The one’s who are taught that this country is the most evil nation in history. They’re the ones exposed to this sewage. And the lies are reinforced every day by schools, MTV, and leftist crap like this.

oldleprechaun on February 10, 2010 at 9:08 AM

I will be broken-hearted if DC comics screws with Bat Man. Marvel has always been too liberal for me, which hurts since I love X-Men (Beast is my fave.)

mizflame98 on February 10, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Pcoop on February 10, 2010 at 7:56 AM

Y had a fascinating premise, but I threw in the tool after about twenty issues. It, too, was filled with the sort of sneering, jaded nihilism that infects all too many comics.

Plus, the artist, Pia Guerra, is one of those people I mentioned before who both maintains an online profile and uses it to bash conservatives. She’s not getting my money.

Kensington on February 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM

So when do Batman and Robin come out of the closet to battle Mormons?

Mark1971 on February 9, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Hey Now!…..

mizflame98 on February 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I threw in the “towel,” that is, not the “tool.”

Kensington on February 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I will be broken-hearted if DC comics screws with [Batman].

mizflame98 on February 10, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Too late:

In the series to date, Batman is consistently violent and cruel, excited by his own sadism towards criminals, musing over the injuries he has inflicted. His abuse extends even towards innocents: he verbally and physically abuses Dick Grayson in an attempt to prevent him from grieving over his parent’s deaths, even slapping the boy in the face. While fighting thugs in the presence of Black Canary, he throws a Molotov cocktail that engulfs several of them with flames. At the Batcave, he withholds food from Grayson and suggests that the boy catch rats and eat them if he is hungry.

Perhaps the book’s single most infamous moment occurred when Miller’s gritty style of dialogue led the title character to introduce himself to Grayson as “the Goddamn Batman.

Kensington on February 10, 2010 at 9:33 AM

For what it’s worth, my absolute favorite comic at the moment is Scott Pilgrim. It’s absolutely wonderful: silly, funny, sweet and innovative, with little to no liberal thumb-sucking or screeching attacks on conservatives. It’s by no means traditional or wholesome, but it’s delightful, and I say that as a guy with very little patience for screechy leftwing comic books.

Kensington on February 10, 2010 at 9:36 AM

So John Edwards shows up?

the_nile on February 9, 2010 at 8:05 PM

WINNER!!!!

mizflame98 on February 10, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I think Marvel got Captain America confused with this guy.

mizflame98 on February 10, 2010 at 9:42 AM

I have this issue. Yes, i’m a comic book geek. In this little story, what you don;t hear is that the current Captain America is the real Cap’s former side kick “Bucky.” Bucky, was formerly known as the winter soldier, a Russian assasin. The current Cap wears a gun, as well as toting the symbolic shield of the original.
When i read the issue, i did not see nor was it implied that these people protesting were tea partiers. It was more like disgruntled Americans, which last i looked, that wasn’t a crime.
The faux Captain America is the Cap from the 50′s, who is akin to a fascist neo-Nazi type. A lot of people will read more into this than what is necessary. Each to their own.

Orion Prime on February 10, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Do I read this crap? No. My idea of a comic book hero was Scrooge McDuck.

oldleprechaun on February 10, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Carl Barks was sublime and Scrooge was his greatest character. But I also liked the DC superhero comics of the 1940′s and 1950′s, and the early Marvel offerings. I still buy reprint volumes of those – but I buy them on eBay to avoid putting money in commie coffers.

I agree that comics have been unreadable for decades. Fitting a tight story into eight pages with no continuity took actual talent. Any alcoholic can write an open-ended cartoon soap opera.

Venusian Visitor on February 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM

warhorse_03826 on February 9, 2010 at 9:49 PM

You are spot on!

mizflame98 on February 10, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Kensington on February 10, 2010 at 9:33 AM

That’s why I don’t read the comic books. The letdown is so hard. I love researching the characters instead and I love the fact that Bat Man’s psyche is a hair a way from the vermin he pursues. Yes, he’s mentally damaged, but he is not a total sociopath. He does care for innocent people even if he can’t trust people. To have Batman throwing Molotov cocktails (not his style), abusing Robin when he insists the boy wonder gets his homework done before anything else, or abusing helpless civilians is just plain wrong.

mizflame98 on February 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM

redeye on February 9, 2010 at 9:11 PM

The ironic thing about that comic is that it was written by Mark Millar – who is EXTREMELY left-wing, and is actually the writer who was chiefly responsible for turning Captain America, a few years back, into an anti-government (aka anti-Bush) superhero. But then again, if you’re familiar with Mark Millar, he only seems to be able to write Superman effectively – every other superhero he writes he manages to completely screw up.

Vyce on February 10, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Too late:
Kensington on February 10, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I wouldn’t consider that screwing up Batman, as the comic book fandom, pretty much as a whole, absolutely HATES Miller’s series and consider it one of the worst Batman comics ever written. It’s pretty much just conveniently ignored by everyone, so any character decay it caused isn’t sticking.

I will say, though, “the Goddamn Batman!” has become a funny internet meme.

Vyce on February 10, 2010 at 10:31 AM

I hope Popular Mechanics can avoid the lefty socialist crap.

Mojave Mark on February 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM

i wouldn’t worry about PopMech…

max1 on February 10, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Only worthy comic out there today is The Walking Dead. Awesome art, magnificent story and a definite libertarian bent.

madne0 on February 10, 2010 at 10:46 AM

If you’re surprised by any of this, you haven’t been paying attention: We’ve written sporadically about Marvel’s turn to the left for years now…

If you think it’s a “turn” to the left, you’re the one who hasn’t been paying attention.

Captain America has also beaten up Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon.

orange on February 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Pretty much everyone who followed the resurgence of “graphic media” from the 60′s forward know that Stan Lee is a megalomaniacal, hyper-liberal wanker of the highest (or lowest, depending no your perspective) order. If people would buy comics with “heroes” that are candy-ass pinko commies, he’d demand every Marvel mag be redone in his image. He’s the real-life J. Jonah Jameson, without the cigar or strength. I contend that graphic media’s growth and maturation has been primarily in spite of rather than a result of his efforts. This nasty, 5th Column turn by the most patriotic and “Tea Partyish” of Marvel’s heroes has Stan Lee’s politics written all over it. Joe Simon would be ashamed (hopefully, at 96+ he doesn’t know). May Lee be haunted by Jack Kirby. My Cap collection ended a while ago and it certainly won’t restart now.

Ay Uaxe on February 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Has DC gone PC, too?

What a downer!

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2010 at 4:53 AM

Yes they have, and worse. I’ll get to that in a moment.

So this is what it took to get conservatives to actually sit up and take notice? Where were they when Marvel and DC published those two monstrosities of theirs, Avengers: Disassembled and Identity Crisis, 6 years ago? Personally, I’m sad that comics are such an overlooked art form, though the art has certainly been drained of recent.

Out of curiosity, anyone here familiar with a writer named Geoff Johns? Back in 2003, he wrote a story in the Avengers that was basically a leftist piece of nonsense where the Red Skull disguised himself as a defense secretary in the US government called Dell Rusk (same initials as Donald Rumsfeld?), and one of the pages even featured him saying “I love America” and if memory serves, with his hand on his heart as in the flag-pledge steps!

Does that description of the story at the time raise eyebrows here? Well just so that you know, that’s was very bad storytelling he did there, but it doesn’t even begin to describe Geoff Johns’s writing – he also has quite a habit of injecting shock-tactic-violence and stuff like that into his stories for DC Comics, and whatever humor he features is very extremely iffy; some of it falls flat. As of today, I’m particularly alienated by his work on The Flash. He took a once decent comic and turned it into a very disturbing book filled with increasingly unpleasant and gratuitous nonsense. But you know what straw really broke the camel’s back? Go to this page on Inertia at the Titans Tower, but be warned, you’re not going to like what’s told here about Weather Wizard’s son.

If you’ve read that page and realize what I’m talking about, let me just say that after what Johns did in “Rogues’ Revenge”, I will never read his writings again, and feel embarrassed that I ever thought his work on the Flash a decade ago was magnificient. It was circa 2003-2004 that he really started going downhill with these kind of shock tactics, and today I’ve decided he was one of the worst things that could happen to DC besides EIC Dan DiDio.

Meanwhile, I’m wondering if this Captain America story by Brubaker will be a subject of future discussion by conservative talk show hosts on both radio AND television. I’d sure like to see Joe Quesada invited to debate this, but maybe more important is that it be discussed on TV. That way, maybe Marvel’s editorial mandates can be confronted more effectively.

Avi Green on February 10, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Has DC gone PC, too?

What a downer!

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2010 at 4:53 AM
Yes they have, and worse. I’ll get to that in a moment.

Avi Green on February 10, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Marvel is the worst one, pure garbage what EIC Joe Quesada has done with those characters. I enjoyed Brubaker’s Captain America run right until he inserted bashing the Tea Party movement. I now don’t read any books published by Marvel.

Geoff Johns is a good writer and I enjoyed his Justice Society of America run and his Blackest Night series is pretty good.

RedRobin145 on February 10, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Update: Tea Party Jab to Be Zapped From Captain America Comic

A “tea bag” reference in a recent Captain America comic book that has angered the Tea Party movement will be removed by Marvel Comics in future editions, the story’s writer told FoxNews.com.

DubiousD on February 10, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Dubious,

it’s not just the one sign though, there are a lot of signs that are offensive.

The_Livewire on February 10, 2010 at 3:59 PM

While I agree with others here that the leftist slant in comics is nothing new, I have to say that this is the first time I’ve felt personally slandered by a comic. It’s one thing if they attack my ideology; it’s another entirely if they attack me.

F*ck Marvel.

Animator Girl on February 10, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I gave up on comics several years ago when the prices were just getting too high. I thought having a roof over my head and food on my table was just a tad bit more important than keeping up with what the X-Men were doing. I actually made money selling my collection. As values went higher, I would watch and when they started dropping, I’d sell the comic.

I’ve seen a few X-Men related comics now and just don’t care for the direction they went.

This Captain America thing stinks, but I’ll buy a copy to hold on to for a bit. I noticed that they’re already going for $20.00 or so on ebay. I’m curious as to how high the value will go.

Torch on February 10, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Carl Barks was what a comicbook writer should be. He entertained and enlightened. Every issue had the Junior Woodchucks pulling Donald along on an adventure to some place exotic that had a basis in fact. His comics inspired Indiana Jones.

Comicbooks are comicbooks anymore. They are not marketed to kids, but very high-priced “collector’s items” marketed to investors. Then there are “graphic novels” that are pretty much the same thing.

Kids dropped out of the equation a while back.

Limpet6 on February 10, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Kensington on February 10, 2010 at 1:02 AM

Whoops. That comes from not reading them in years.

Rightwingguy on February 10, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Rightwingguy on February 10, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Well technically I spelled it right, I just missed the stupid hyphen.

Rightwingguy on February 10, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Torch on February 10, 2010 at 5:40 PM

You’re just throwing your money away if you think there’s going to be any long-term growth on an investment like this. It maybe going for $20 on eBay now, but a year from now it will be half that, and ten years from now it will be worthless.

There are just too many comic book speculators nowadays for any modern comic to hold any long-term value.

Kensington on February 10, 2010 at 7:12 PM