NOW president pretty upset about shockingly violent Tim Tebow ad

posted at 5:49 pm on February 8, 2010 by Allahpundit

Just a follow-up to Ed’s post last night about the disingenuous idiocy some pro-choicers are willing to push to try to discredit Tebow. They were expecting a flamethrowing political ad; instead they got something that would have been rejected by Hallmark for being too goshdarned sweet. Time to move to Plan B, then: Tim Tebow hates women or something.

In an attempt to fall in line with the humorous nature of most Super Bowl commercials, the Focus on the Family in-game ad shows Tebow tackling his mom and his mother playfully scolding him for interrupting her.

In remarks that are raising eyebrows from pro-life advocates, NOW president Terry O’Neill said that bit of the ad glorified violence against women.

“I am blown away at the celebration of the violence against women in it,” she told the Los Angeles Times. “That’s what comes across to me even more strongly than the anti-abortion message. I myself am a survivor of domestic violence, and I don’t find it charming. I think CBS should be ashamed of itself.”

O’Neill’s reaction drew guffaws even from hardcore abortion advocates.

Frances Kissling, the former president of Catholics for Choice, told the Times that NOW is way off base.

“It’s absurd to claim that this is an endorsement of violence against women,” Kissling said. “These people came across as affectionate, loving, funny and happy.”

Watching the Tebow ad got my testosterone pumping, so here’s a clip of what I watched last night after the game to slake my bloodthirsty aggression. I eagerly await the PETA press release invoking Michael Vick. Exit question per Omri Ceren: Wasn’t the Terry Tate fake-tackle of Palin much worse (i.e. more violent, more shocking, and more mean-spirited) than this?

Update: Good point from the comments. Tebow’s mom wasn’t the only woman who got tackled in a Super Bowl ad last night. Where’s the NOW denunciation of the Betty White Snickers ad?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I literally couldn’t help myself.

Akzed on February 8, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Lack of self-control seems to be a defining characteristic of many around here.

MJBrutus on February 8, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Well, see, that was funny. /breathtakingleftistdoublestandard

capitalist piglet on February 8, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Yes, I thought about this all day whenever I heard about the “controversy.” What does that ad seriously say about the violence and elder abuse that happens every day? It’s ok to knock down an elderly man? Beat up an elderly women? With kids getting involved in violent acts every day at a younger and younger age, are they mature enough to tell the difference on tv? Seriously. I don’t think they are.

Mr_Magoo on February 8, 2010 at 7:26 PM

Terrible Terry Tate is awesome.

uknowmorethanme on February 8, 2010 at 7:29 PM

NOW President Terry O’Neil says, “I myself am a survivor of domestic violence….”

I am not a bit surprised. I want to kick the snot out of her, and I have never even met her.
__________

RJGatorEsq. on February 8, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Somebody should call the fire department; some joker must have snuck microscopic incendiary bombs into the underwear of the entire Nasty Old W****s membership!.

Dark-Star on February 8, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Played straight from the Liberal/Progressive party playbook: When you can’t debate, attack.

NOW should just change their name to National Organization ONLY for Liberal Women. NOOLW.

TN Mom on February 8, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Puppy boy rules. I predict clips on Red Eye tonight.

RightWinged on February 8, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Puppy boy rules. I predict clips on Red Eye tonight.

RightWinged on February 8, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Puppy boy? WTF… I meant “Puppy Bowl”

RightWinged on February 8, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Puppy boy? WTF… I meant “Puppy Bowl”

RightWinged on February 8, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Our local PetsHotel has a viewing window by their playing area. I could spend an hour watching play time :-)

MJBrutus on February 8, 2010 at 8:03 PM

LMFAO! Yeah that’s right, all pro-choice women match that description to a tee. Why don’t you try a broader brush the next time? The bigotry of the fanatical Jesus-freak knows no bounds.

MJBrutus on February 8, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Sorry, but no “Jesus freak” here. I’m probably best described as agnostic, but abortion is what it is: a gruesome medical procedure resulting in infanticide. And you’re right, fanatics are a creepy lot, and there is no group so fanatical as a pro-abortion group. NOW gave a pass to Bill Clinton when woman after woman came forward to say he had groped, abused, humiliated, and even raped them! Why’d he get the pass on his horrific misogyny from the nation’s leading “women’s rights” group? Cuz he’s pro-abortion. That’s the very definition of fanatic, and certain proof that abortion is NOW’s only reason for being.

Rational Thought on February 8, 2010 at 8:13 PM

These NOW people are insane.

RedbonePro on February 8, 2010 at 8:21 PM

My husband was furious when he heard about the “violence against women” accusation. He said that anyone could see it was showing that Tebow was tough, but his mother was tougher.
“Any woman that gives birth to a baby under strenuous circumstances is tough, they prove that over and over again. They are tough women and tough mothers, that ad showed it.”

I thought it was really sweet. I was raised with three brothers ALL of whom are bigger then me and I’m used to being jumped, picked up, and YES even tackled affectionately. When I saw the ad it made me think of my own mom. It didn’t matter how big or tough we became, my mom was ALWAYS tougher for having raised us. That ad demanded respect. NOW just shows their ignorance by making such accusations.

Ingenue on February 8, 2010 at 8:23 PM

If they’re going to bitch about this, they better double bitch about the Betty White ad. This ad said ‘you’re tough, but I’m tougher timmy boy” the Betty White ad said “you’re playing like a little old lady, you suck!”

Which one has a more anti-woman spin? Snickers by far.

Of course, I think they’re both harmless.

Vera on February 8, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Rational Thought on February 8, 2010 at 8:13 PMVery good. You\’ve demonstrated that intolerant bigots and hypocrites exist on both sides and aren\’t afraid to let everyone know it.The fact of the matter is that I know and love some very pro-choice women who are nothing like what you describe. But don\’t let such facts get in the way of a good rant. Especially not when you can excuse your own behavior by pointing out worse on the other side.I\’ve been working on a mathematical theory. You\’ve added one more data point to its proof. The theorem states:W + W != R

MJBrutus on February 8, 2010 at 8:41 PM

The theorem states:W + W != R

MJBrutus on February 8, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Must you blame Bush for everything?

BKennedy on February 8, 2010 at 8:45 PM

BKennedy on February 8, 2010 at 8:45 PM

:-)

MJBrutus on February 8, 2010 at 8:54 PM

medicinal marijuana

The Race Card on February 8, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Marijuana.

It’s not just for medicine anymore.

JohnGalt23 on February 8, 2010 at 8:54 PM

NOW president Terry O’Neill said…

I’ve never seen a nail looking for a hammer before…

karl9000 on February 8, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Maybe they should take up gardening?

upinak on February 8, 2010 at 5:57 PM

No, what they really need is a man in the sheets.

di butler on February 8, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Recently when Rue McClahan was in the hospital, Betty sent her a card saying something to the effect that she was hoping Rue would croak so she could be the last Golden Girl. Rue loved it. Called Betty a b!tch.

They are fabulous.

di butler on February 8, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Funny how Mz.O’Neill is concerned over violence against women, yet sat quietly as Palin, and her daughters were verbally abused. Where the hell were they, when Palin, and her daughter were treated to people wearing t-shirts reading…Palin is a c**t? Hmmmmm?

This groups herd is thinning, and they are becoming an extinct breed. Nothing is more sad, and pathetic, then watching irrelevance try to remain relevant.

capejasmine on February 8, 2010 at 9:37 PM

They are fabulous.

di butler on February 8, 2010 at 9:19 PM

My wife had to wait on Rue a few times at the bank where she worked when we first got married and GG was popular. Rue was the b!tch – literally a b!tch to deal with.

Mr_Magoo on February 8, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Brutus,,,, show me where Jesus is a hypocritical fanatic? I must have missed something there and if His followers do what He said to do,,, are they also hypocritical fanatics? I didn’t know saving life was fanatic.

garydt on February 8, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I thought the tackle was stupid. They could have presented the commercial in a different way.

scotash on February 9, 2010 at 1:24 AM

WHY WON’T THESE EUGENICS LOVING “WOMYN” WHO LOOK LIKE MEN CALLED NOW JUST SHUT UP?!

BobAnthony on February 9, 2010 at 6:36 AM

NOW should change their name to WOW: Womyn On Wackyweed.

Buy Danish on February 9, 2010 at 7:32 AM

Why would Tebow have tackled his mother anyways? That didn’t make sense. Why would a quarterback tackle anyone normally?

Jimbo3 on February 8, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Sometimes QBs throw interceptions.

It’s funny to watch trolls try to find something to b1tch about. Morons.

fossten on February 9, 2010 at 7:52 AM

The Puppy Bowl was better than the Super Bowl.

catmman on February 9, 2010 at 7:59 AM

If only this was all it took to blow these people away, I’d pay for another ad.

Kissmygrits on February 9, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Wait, aren’t feminists supposedly for equality? If so, then why are they getting upset at one woman being fake tackled during an event where a dozen men are routinely pounded into the dirt? I could understand the outrage if they were saying Betty White was treated too gently, or that there weren’t enough women tasting AstroTurf at the Super Bowl. I mean, it would be ridiculous, but at least intellectually consistent. But this is just hearkening back to the treatment of women in the 19th Century. Such delicate little flowers, they are.

JSchuler on February 9, 2010 at 4:28 PM