AP misreports Tebow ad content

posted at 10:12 am on February 8, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Perhaps the ads from Focus on the Family featuring Pam Tebow and her son Tim act as a sort of Rorshach test for some people.  Where most viewers would see the ads as playful, light, and welcoming, some see them as a threat — and maybe some don’t see them at all outside of their preconceived notions.  Power Line notices that the Associated Press misreports the content of the two ads:

But not every commercial was strictly humorous. Automaker Toyota aired several pregame ads to reassure worried owners after its recalls connected with accelerator problems.

And a commercial by conservative Christian group Focus on the Family, perhaps the most anticipated ad of the night, hinted at a serious subject although it took a humorous tone too. Heisman winner Tim Tebow and his mother talk about her difficult pregnancy with him and how she was advised to end the pregnancy—implying an antiabortion message—but ended with Tebow tackling his mom and saying the family must be “tough.”

Er, not exactly.  First, nowhere in either commercial does Pam Tebow talk about being advised to end her pregnancy.  She only mentions that she almost “lost” Tim.  The “implication of an anti-abortion message”, at least as described above, actually never appears in either ad.  Further, Tim Tebow does not say “the family must be tough,” but Pam who teases her son about her concern that he’s not as tough as she is.  Tim Tebow doesn’t talk about the pregnancy at all.

At least the AP got the tackle correct.

Now, considering that perhaps 100 million people in the US watched the game and the commercials last night, why couldn’t the AP have watched it and gotten the story right?  Perhaps they wrote the story before the game, or perhaps they just watched it through the prism of their own biases.

Update: YouTube’s AdBlitz channel has a poll asking viewers to select their favorite Super Bowl ad, but it doesn’t include the Tebow ads.  AdBlitz does have a way for advertisers to enter their ads, so it may just be that Focus on the Family hasn’t done so, or at least not yet. The Dodge Charger ad isn’t there, either.

Comments

A pro-family message from a christian organization being misrepresented intentionally? In America? Today?

daesleeper on February 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM

I applaud Tim for following his own path. That’s really admirable in the face of a liberal media.

search4truth on February 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM

The scariest ad was the “Green Police” ad. Normally I love Cheap Trick, but that ad was downright terrifying.

crazy_legs on February 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Come on Ed, you knew this was going to be the way it was reported right? Seriously, did anyone expect anything different?

Johnnyreb on February 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM

They aren’t called the DisAssociated Press for nothing…

uknowmorethanme on February 8, 2010 at 10:18 AM

If you didn’t already know about the controversy surrounding these ads, would you have even known what the message was? You would have had to have been intrigued enough to go to the website to find out. I’m sure a lot of people did, but just as many probably did not. So all they saw was a funny ad with Timmy Tebow tackling his mom.

I thought both ads were very tasteful and understated and sweet. The pro-abortionists have egg all over their faces after this. Now everyone who was paying attention knows their true agenda.

NoLeftTurn on February 8, 2010 at 10:18 AM

And all the Liberals can do is meekly protest Tim tackling his Mom. Massive pwnage. Good job Focus on the Family.

kingsjester on February 8, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Would you expect anything less from the AP?

chewmeister on February 8, 2010 at 10:19 AM

I know the people I watched the Super Bowl were like “what’s controversial about that?”. The funny thing was that if you don’t know the background of the ad, it’d be hard to know what the ad’s purpose is.

hawksruleva on February 8, 2010 at 10:20 AM

The Tebow ad was the only thing which came on last night which was worth watching, including the game.

catmman on February 8, 2010 at 10:20 AM

crazy_legs on February 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Pretty much. I was wondering “Am I supposed to feel good about this ad”?

Sometimes it’s not funny because it’s true.

Asher on February 8, 2010 at 10:21 AM

crazy_legs on February 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I loved that ad. Pretty good vision of the future for which the eco-nutjobs are pushing. I was really hoping it’d end with the VW runnig over an armadillo, though.

hawksruleva on February 8, 2010 at 10:21 AM

AP= PAP: President Approved Propaganda

Christian Conservative on February 8, 2010 at 10:22 AM

hawksruleva on February 8, 2010 at 10:20 AM

–I didn’t hear the ad, but could see it from the kitchen. Sorta lame IMHO and I didn’t understand the tackling bit at the end. But it was a good football game.

Jimbo3 on February 8, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Liked the Charger ad.

That is all.

ricetiger on February 8, 2010 at 10:23 AM

crazy_legs on February 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Good comedy always has a certain amount of truth behind it. This ad is no exception.

chewmeister on February 8, 2010 at 10:23 AM

chewmeister on February 8, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Except it wasn’t funny?

SouthernGent on February 8, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I don’t normally watch the Superbowl. I know I know. Please don’t hurt me, but I’m just not that big of a fan. lol However, I did watch it last night, and I did enjoy the game. I watched for the ads too, I must admit, and waited with anticipation to see the Tebow ads. When the game came, and went, and I viewed the ads, I kept wondering….where’s the controversial ad? The one the pro abortionists got their panties in a wad over? It never materialized. So I was just ticked at the behavior of these baby killing zealots, and their attitudes, and behaviors. They exposed themselves for what they truly are. Anti Family, Pro baby killing idiots.

If you’re only writing to appease your readers, and they believe everything you write, even if they’ve seen the evidence for themselves, then accuracy, and truth just aren’t important.

capejasmine on February 8, 2010 at 10:25 AM

How much do you want to be it was written and filed before the Ad even aired?

TheBigOldDog on February 8, 2010 at 10:26 AM

catmman on February 8, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I was bored stiff with that game.

We had a bunch of guys playing Madden 10 and drinking beer (while the ladies were upstairs chattering) and that was infinitely more fun that the real game.

Bishop on February 8, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Aw, come one. One can’t expect a mere 4 years of J-School being enough to prepare one to concentrate for 30 seconds, and to write about it, do you?

Maybe it does take 11 J-School types, to watch a 30 second spot, and to figure out what was in it?

MNHawk on February 8, 2010 at 10:29 AM

My bride made a big crockpot full of white chili for the party we went to. I’m going to be eating white chili for a week. Think about it. The Libs were pwned by Love.

kingsjester on February 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Question

Did anyone else notice that Pepsi commercial?

With all the moments of the last forty years?

Anyone notice the quick little screenshot from the news during election 2000

“Winner — Al Gore”

blatantblue on February 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM

I think they watched the ad, they just decided to lie about it. Someone needs to ask NOW how that ad is offensive and demeaning, cuz what I saw was anything but.

changer1701 on February 8, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Wasn’t it AP that a few years ago used Photoshopped images of Beirut burning, to make Israel appear to be bombing indiscriminately?

When will the media ever be called to account for their fabrications?

Liam on February 8, 2010 at 10:33 AM

kingsjester on February 8, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Additionally – one of those unintended consequences – now after ALL of the hand-wringing and histrionics the feminazis performed for two weeks prior to the airing – puts it out in plain view exactly what kind of people they are.

tru2tx on February 8, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Did anyone else notice that Pepsi commercial?

With all the moments of the last forty years?

Anyone notice the quick little screenshot from the news during election 2000

“Winner — Al Gore”

blatantblue on February 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM

And that, sir, is another reason why I drink Dr. Pepper.

CurtZHP on February 8, 2010 at 10:36 AM

THE most successful ad to ever air on the SuperBowl!

Some of the great Bud ads rank right up there, too….BUT, for the 2.5 million it cost to air, what will forever more be known as the “Tebow Ad” will be replayed FREE thousands of times over.

They’ll still be talking about the “Tebow Ad” twenty years from now…if we’re still around twenty years from now.

GoldenEagle4444 on February 8, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Nothing new from the left….
…if the facts don’t back up their liberal narrative,they just make sh!t up……

…you know….ACORN is not corrupt…..

…….the debate is over concerning Man Made Global Warming….

…..the stimulus is working……

………Obama’s Government take over of Health Care will not increase the deficit or reduce the quality of care……

…..liberals pretty much build their policies and platforms off of deceit,lies,and failed ideology.

..the AP is pretty much in line with liberal doctrine.

“Yes We Can!!!”

Baxter Greene on February 8, 2010 at 10:39 AM

AP Uexpectedly Misrepresents Tebow Ad Content

Lily on February 8, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Reuters, actually. Not that there’s a dime’s worth of difference between them.

Pablo on February 8, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Question

Did anyone else notice that Pepsi Flo tv commercial?
With all the moments of the last forty years?
Anyone notice the quick little screenshot from the news during election 2000
“Winner — Al Gore”

FIFY

Pepsi didn’t air any Super Bowl ads this here. Money is going into the Pepsi Refresh project

normschaef on February 8, 2010 at 10:46 AM

I gave up trying to understand AP years ago. The ad was kind of a cute Kodak moment type commercial…I loved the tackle it was a normal family moment.
The pro-abortion people really jumped the shark on this one. They made too big of an issue over something no one had seen yet. I think FOF played this one perfectly.

JKotthoff on February 8, 2010 at 10:46 AM

And with all of this ‘controversy’, these people have made this ad stand out more, and will be remembered by more people than if they had just kept quiet.

Ha ha hA HA HA ha.

bridgetown on February 8, 2010 at 10:47 AM

crazy_legs on February 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I agree. It was Al Gore’s America.

Pavel on February 8, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Fresh, from the we make the news division.

Speakup on February 8, 2010 at 10:50 AM

“Winner — Al Gore”

blatantblue on February 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM

It wasn’t a Pepsi ad – it was FLO TV. I howled when I saw that Al Gore graphic

Here it is on youtube.

Notice how President Ford and President Reagan are shown.

I am really surprised that this ad is not causing outrageous outrage on the internets – I really expected to see a lot of comments about it this morning.

Brat on February 8, 2010 at 10:51 AM

kingsjester on February 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Better watch out for the Green Police after eating all that chili. They might monitor your methane levels.

Torch on February 8, 2010 at 10:53 AM

normschaef on February 8, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Pepsi still sucks. lol Their products haven’t been allowed in my home, since they put the look alike Obama label on their cans. They have the rights to their politics, but I have the right NOT to purchase their products, to fund their politics. ;)

capejasmine on February 8, 2010 at 10:56 AM

capejasmine on February 8, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Their CEO is a huge Obama supporter. She changed the logo to reflect that.

kingsjester on February 8, 2010 at 10:59 AM

crazy_legs on February 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I thought it was creepy too. I said “That is supposed to get me to buy a car? I should buy an Audi so that freaks like this will be impressed with my purchase?”

Lily on February 8, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Seems there are more than one of these articles. Here the “reporter” says the same thing but that you can find the information at Focus on the Family.

Capitalist Infidel on February 8, 2010 at 10:59 AM

crazy_legs on February 8, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Yes, and the reason why it was scary is because it’s not too far-fetched to think it could actually happen under this administration.

silvernana on February 8, 2010 at 11:01 AM

oops

flo tv

blatantblue on February 8, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Re: Pepsi/FloTv ad:

No 9/11 images. Guess that even wasn’t all that important. But the preemptive MSM declaration of AlGore’s win….now that’s a new story.

angryed on February 8, 2010 at 11:02 AM

How dare they imply an antiabortion message? It’s eugenics, it’s murder. It should be widely available safe and rare. Women should be able to have that baby ripped out of their womb if it cramps their lifestyle! Who cares about the baby’s rights? I don’t. It’s all about the woman and her right to not take responsibility for her actions and kill her offspring, make someone else pay for their misfortune.

/s

long_cat on February 8, 2010 at 11:03 AM

The Audi ad.

For the greenie weenies that thrive on the eco posing, the ad fits. How can you pose for attention with the Pious Toyota in the shop?
People on the street can’t see all the crazy cfc lightbulbs in your house.

Go Audi. You are connecting with your misguided audience.

seven on February 8, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Lily on February 8, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Well yea. The Audi demo is those freaks. You have to be a freak to pay $40K for an A3. But people will because they are saving the world in the process…..btw don’t mention to them that Diesel is no cleaner to produce than gas. And also don’t mention that the leather interior that comes with the A3 means killing animals. Let them live in their dreamworld.

angryed on February 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Waiting for someone to talk about the commercial with the Eco-Police … where we see what the EPA will look like if Cap-and-Tax passes.

TimLenox on February 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM

killing animals. Let them live in their dreamworld.

angryed on February 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Speaking of animals…what was that animal they had sniffing the truck’s tires? Why not a dog? Dogs are not greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen?

Brat on February 8, 2010 at 11:08 AM

kingsjester on February 8, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Well, I say let her continue on her misguided path. It will probably hurt her in the end. It obviously is. When was the last time a superbowl aired, and Pepsi didn’t have at least one ad on during it?

capejasmine on February 8, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Brat on February 8, 2010 at 11:08 AM

That was an armadillo. You see them plastered all over the road in some areas. They take their tire sniffing duties very seriously, I guess. Unlike a true environmentalist, they are not afraid to die for the Green Cause.

Lily on February 8, 2010 at 11:11 AM

But as Joy Behar warned, Tebow could have turned out to be some kind of rapist pedophile… kind of like Roman Polanski, except guilty of actual rape-rape.

saint kansas on February 8, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Anyone notice the quick little screenshot from the news during election 2000

“Winner — Al Gore”

Yes, and it set off a barrage of bad language. I do so hate liars.

And propagandists.

oldleprechaun on February 8, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Jimbo3 on February 8, 2010 at 10:23 AM

What’s lame is your pathetic attempt to downgrade the ad without actually having heard any of it.

fossten on February 8, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I don’t see that Audi “green police” ad there either.

JeffinSac on February 8, 2010 at 11:34 AM

***
HI KINGSJESTER @10:31. Please educate me–I live in El Paso, Tx, and am married to a Mexican ranch girl–for 40 years. What is white chili? I’ve seen red, green, yellow, and purple–but I’ve never seen white. And most good chili comes in red hot–we use a lot at our house.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on February 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM

At least the AP got the tackle COVERT MESSAGE TO MEN TO COMMIT DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN correct.

/Feminist Filter

mankai on February 8, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Looks like the AP got all its talking points from the ubiquitous Gloria Allred, who is always unavoidable for comment. She had not seen the ads either.

Wills on February 8, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I didn’t hear the ad, but could see it from the kitchen.

Jimbo3 on February 8, 2010 at 10:23 AM

fossten on February 8, 2010 at 11:31 AM

–Hint: Probably 30%-40% of most Super Bowl ads are not heard because people are in the kitchen or talking about the game. I didn’t get the tackling, and I’m not sure many people did. What’s lame is your being so thin skinned that anything viewed as criticism causes outrage by you.

Maybe the Audi ad should have had “Thought Police” by Cheap Trick just for you.

Jimbo3 on February 8, 2010 at 11:40 AM

American Pravda hard at work for the good of the body politik.

jukin on February 8, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I thought the Tebow ad was cute as a button and I can’t STAND the guy.

tree hugging sister on February 8, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Lily on February 8, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Nope not an armadillo, it’s an anteater.

Brat on February 8, 2010 at 11:49 AM

ignorance is not acceptable journalism.

Osis on February 8, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Nope not an armadillo, it’s an anteater.

Brat on February 8, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Thanks for correcting me.

I apologize to any armadillos and or anteaters who may be offended by my ignorance.

Lily on February 8, 2010 at 11:57 AM

AP once again shows themselves to be biased. Oh, look, the sun rose today. Funny how both things happen so frequently…

darii on February 8, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Meanwhile, NOW is still swinging:

NOW president Terry O’Neill said that (tackling) bit of the ad glorified violence against women.

“I am blown away at the celebration of the violence against women in it,” she told the Los Angeles Times. “That’s what comes across to me even more strongly than the anti-abortion message. I myself am a survivor of domestic violence, and I don’t find it charming. I think CBS should be ashamed of itself.”

jgapinoy on February 8, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Tim Tebow is a national hero! BTW where is Al Gore with all this weather?

rjoco1 on February 8, 2010 at 12:01 PM

chewmeister on February 8, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Except that they weren’t kidding. Do a search for Audi Green Police and read their website and their goals.

They’re perfectly happy with the eco-police around the world, trumpeting the success of various police organizations ending freedoms and forcing decisions on people; and think we need more of this. None of it reads like a joke, all of it reads like wanting to control people and limit their choices to a single “accepted” one.

Especially once their lobbyists get involved in the writing of the legislation to limit your freedoms for your own good (this is unstated, but pretty obvious I’d think).

gekkobear on February 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM

gekkobear on February 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM<

Isn’t Audi brought to us by folks with a history of

welcoming police organizations ending freedoms and forcing decisions on people

For example:

Doorgunner on February 8, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Now, considering that perhaps 100 million people in the US watched the game and the commercials last night, why couldn’t the AP have watched it and gotten the story right? Perhaps they wrote the story before the game, or perhaps they just watched it through the prism of their own biases.

They’ll get away with it… Too many of us were drinking to realize that what they’re reporting today is inaccurate.

RightWinged on February 8, 2010 at 12:28 PM

rocketman on February 8, 2010 at 11:36 AM

It’s made with chicken, green chiles, northern beans, butter beans, and shu peg ? corn. It’s good stuff and good for those on a diet.

kingsjester on February 8, 2010 at 12:29 PM

daesleeper on February 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Someone call Andrea Mitchell to put this AP article in perspective right away!

csdeven on February 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Maybe the Audi ad should have had “Thought Police” by Cheap Trick just for you.

Jimbo3 on February 8, 2010 at 11:40 AM

WOW Great argument /s

You acknowledged my point that you didn’t hear the ad, and your counter ‘argument’ is an appeal to the masses, but you still don’t answer my point that your criticism was based on something you didn’t even hear. I remarked that that was lame. If you view that as outrage, then you’re a drama queen.

fossten on February 8, 2010 at 12:58 PM

WOW Great argument /s

fossten on February 8, 2010 at 12:58 PM

–I just went to the USA Today site and viewed the ad. It is a dumb ad. And the reason, in particular, why it’s dumb is because it never said what it was about (other than the link to the website) and because of the tackle near the end. The tackle wasted about 5 seconds of time in the commercial and when’s the last time you ever heard of a quarterback (like Tebow) tackling anyone in football?

BTW, if you look at the following site, http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/admeter/2010admeter.htm, you’ll see that the ad ranked in the bottom 20% (rankings by the US Today planel), so it’s not just me.

Jimbo3 on February 8, 2010 at 1:07 PM

NoLeftTurn on February 8, 2010 at 10:18 AM

My husband doesn’t follow politics and controversy the way I do.

We were watching the Superbowl together. I know he saw the ad. Afterwards, his mom (who is a member of Focus on the Family) said, “Oh, we must have missed the ad.”

I said, “We saw it.”.

After I described it, my husband said, “That ad was controversial? I don’t even know what that ad was for.”

All in all I can’t tell if it was a big waste of money and lost opportunity on Focus’ part because the ad was not compelling at all. Or, if it was a brilliant move as they ad was not controversial but they still managed to get millions of dollars in free press for a very unmemorable ad.

JadeNYU on February 8, 2010 at 1:30 PM

I suppose I shouldn’t be shocked, but I am shocked that the phrase, “celebrate life,” is so threatening to the pro-abortion crowd. You’d think even the pro-murder-of-the-unborn folks would begrudgingly agree that celebrating life is a good thing, yet we must keep options available for certain situations, yada, yada, yada . . .
But no.

Pablo Snooze on February 8, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Jimbo3 on February 8, 2010 at 1:07 PM

The ad was obviously designed to get people who were interested to go the the FOF website to find more. Interestingly, the NOW people were screeching about FOF sponsoring the ad and how it would make women feel bad about having abortions. The ad itself said nothing even remotely like that, but because of all the pre-game hysteria, many people noted the ad who never would have and some no doubt visited the FOF site to see what the bid deal was. I think that FOF leveraged an ad, which had to be extremely generic in order to even be shown by CBS, into a much bigger deal than it actually was by playing the feminists like a violin.

I had wondered why CBS had stuck to its guns on this, now I know. There was nothing even remotely controversial about this ad, they would have looked like partisans of the worst stripe by refusing to air it. Once NOW knew an ad by FOF existed though, they couldn’t help themselves they had to go into full blown attack mode. Its all they have left.

Lily on February 8, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Jimbo3 on February 8, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Lily on February 8, 2010 at 1:33 PM

–I agree that the real question is, then, how many new people went to the FoF website (or will remember to go there in the next few days) and how many of those were or will be persuaded. I would have assumed that almost no one would be posting and watching the game. But I’m surprised about the number of people who were posting on Hot Air during the Super Bowl rather than watching the game, so maybe I shouldn’t be discounting that possibility.

Jimbo3 on February 8, 2010 at 1:38 PM

So, I watched the Tebow vid over at the FOF site.

It was all about a family making a choice about whether to add to their family or not. They made this decision based on their personal values.

Imagine that. The government wasn’t involved at all. It was a personal matter.

Remember that, those that want to put the government in charge of every uterus in America. It’s what pro-choice is all about.

Moesart on February 8, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I hadn’t intended watching the Super Bowl but decided to view it anyway just by way of giving support to Tim Tebow and his mom, though they’ll never know of this support, of course, except through the prayers on their behalf which they will intuit. I kept waiting for “the ad” well past the one which was aired. So I went online to get an idea of when it would be on and low and behold the one I’d already seen was it! My goodness, what was all the fuss about!! Leftists/phony feminists/Democrats overreact to everything. Too bad they don’t “overreact” in favor of the unborn, in favor of a democratic republic, in favor of free speech, in favor of the Constitution. Oops, my bad. That would then make them Conservatives/real women/Republicans! Can’t have that!

Mae on February 8, 2010 at 4:13 PM

and how many of those were or will be persuaded.

Jimbo3 on February 8, 2010 at 1:38 PM

How sad for you libs if a couple of lives aren’t snuffed out because of this callous, hateful ad.

hillbillyjim on February 8, 2010 at 8:26 PM