Amazing: At 3 a.m., “Red Eye” beating CNN primetime in key demo

posted at 9:18 pm on February 8, 2010 by Allahpundit

Proof of Red Eye’s strength or CNN’s weakness? (Both!) They’ve been beating Campbell Brown in the demo since last fall, but the damage isn’t limited to the 8 p.m. hour anymore. Says Mediaite:

Just like when we highlighted the show’s ratings in September 2009 (which the FNC advertising department enjoyed as well, taking out full-page ads in the New York Post and others), the ratings for last week show Red Eye beating CNN again. This time, the show had better ratings in the A25-54 demographic than Campbell Brown at 8pmET and Larry King at 9pmET, and tied Anderson Cooper at 10pmET (Monday-Thursday).

Topping Olby is the final frontier; I’m thinking a one-hour all-robot special when it finally happens. Enjoy the Gregalogue from Friday’s show, which is filled with many fine goofs about David Gregory’s hair and also many cat jokes, which are of course appalling and deeply offensive in every way.

Comments

Thanks for bringing this to the main side! I was in tears, in tears! watching that video.

Weight of Glory on February 8, 2010 at 9:21 PM

He should win a Pulitzer.

Weight of Glory on February 8, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Might as well copy and paste:

Easily my favorite mock news show on TV and now my favorite comedy since Always Sunny in Philadelphia has gotten kind of old. Red Eye and Adult Swim are pure latenight bliss. Well, I have to DVR Red Eye.

They really need to bump Red Eye over to the main Fox network and run it on 12:00 am. I’ve been saying this for a while but if they do this, the show will see massive ratings because there is nothing else like it on network TV.

Daemonocracy on February 8, 2010 at 9:23 PM

That’s awesome.

Spirit of 1776 on February 8, 2010 at 9:24 PM

WHY ISNT THIS ON EARLIER

ditto above: either put it at 11 or 12 on Fox proper, or put it at foxnews at 12

picklesgap on February 8, 2010 at 9:25 PM

This is too funny. I’ve never been a big Red Eye fan, but Gutfeld is certainly kicking azz. Beating CNN primetime … ROFLMAO.

neurosculptor on February 8, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I love ‘Red Eye’. Thank you Fox News for this show. If only the show could come on at midnight here on the east coast.
Congratulations to the staff at ‘Red Eye’ for a great three years and many more to come!

cubachi on February 8, 2010 at 9:25 PM

PS I TiVo this every night

what are the ratings WITH TiVo I wonder?

picklesgap on February 8, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Dear Red Eye,
Congratulations.

Dear Fox,

Please put Rey Eye on earlier in the evening.

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Love Red Eye! Congrats on 3 yrs, and beatin’ the stuffin’ outta cnn!

rslancer14 on February 8, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Andy, is that you?

Colorado Anne on February 8, 2010 at 9:28 PM

“I’m thinking a one-hour all-robot special when it finally happens.”

Can you imagine…?

Yes, yes I can!

Seven Percent Solution on February 8, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Red Eye is great. A DVR must for me. Hey AP, when you going on the show? You could sit in the “leg chair” and wear a mask.

chief on February 8, 2010 at 9:30 PM

I love this show! I used to catch it all the time when my daughter was still getting up at 3am to eat. Now I need to upgrade my DirecTV receiver so I can DVR it.
Congratulations Greg, Andy and the rest of the Red Eye gang!

Babino on February 8, 2010 at 9:31 PM

Swwwweeeetttt

orfannkyl on February 8, 2010 at 9:35 PM

They deserve this kind of success. I’m not sure if they should move it up to an earlier time-slot. It’d kind of fun because it feels like an underground thing.

Emily M. on February 8, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I actually fear that they might do this and it would actually suck. I love Red Eye Robot Theater, but any more than 10 consecutive minute would go from funny to annoying.

That said, I’m off to get the lotion…

RightWinged on February 8, 2010 at 9:35 PM

I’m thinking a one-hour all-robot special when it finally happens.

I have a friend with cats. He’s a fruitcake too.

but we hang anyway.

ted c on February 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I care not for a man’s religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.
- Abraham Lincoln

MB4 on February 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I have a friend with cats. He’s a fruitcake too.

but we hang anyway.

ted c on February 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM

While you are hanging with your fruitcake friend, his cat and I are plotting to take over the world. We figure that after 4 years of being ruled by rats and mice you will be more than ready for us to take charge.

Cheshire Cat on February 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Congrats to Gut, the JOOO, and the worthless sack of crap. Best show on TV and seriously the only reason I own a DVR.

mjk on February 8, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Cheshire Cat on February 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM

a devious plan… good luck

ted c on February 8, 2010 at 9:44 PM

It’s got to that sexy Thaddeus McCotter. Coming next, RedEye-branded lotion.

CK MacLeod on February 8, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Check it out, check it outters. RedEye is the most bombest. And if you disagree with me you’re worse than Hitler.

LimaLimaMikeFoxtrot on February 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Redeye rocks! It gets DVR’d every day here. I think it would be really interesting to have it go on the main Fox channel at 11pm, head-to-head against The Daily Show & Colbert, plus opposite the first half hour of those other unwatchable twits on late night tv.

ornery_independent on February 8, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I remember the first time I saw Redeye. It was around Christmas a couple of years ago and they were joking about being the only show on FoxNews that was FOR the “War on Christmas.”

Vera on February 8, 2010 at 9:48 PM

“and also many cat jokes, which are of course appalling and deeply offensive in every way”.

I KNEW AP=TV’s Andy Levy!

margategop517 on February 8, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Bill Schulz is the funniest sequential hermaphrodite on television.

Anonymous Finch on February 8, 2010 at 9:49 PM

I love telling everyone I know that Red Eye is the smartest show on television.

Lance Murdock on February 8, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Greg should be dipping the pudding.

Free Constitution on February 8, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Dear Red Eye,
Congratulations.

Dear Fox,

Please put Rey Eye on earlier in the evening.

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Red Eye and western time zones…..eat your hearts out eastcoasters……

Rovin on February 8, 2010 at 9:53 PM

What is CNN? LOL

OT: A group of patriotic Americans needs your help. It’s a couple thousand commercial fishermen vs. a giant gov’t bureaucracy (NOAA/NMFS) backed by big enviro $ (EPA). It’s a David vs. Goliath story. And you thought the IPCC global warming scam was outrageous, just wait until you see what is happening right now to our fishermen. This could be many fishermens last stand to continue to do what they love, there is a rally in DC on the 24th. Read all about what is going here at the Fishermans Blues blog. And help if you can, by writing your Senators and Reps and demanding that the gov’t stops putting fishermen out of business based on junk science and bogus studies.

shanimal on February 8, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I miss Rachel Marsden. Her combination of not being funny and not fitting in made the show deliciously uncomfortable at times. That and watching Bill become increasingly hostile to her as he realized she was not going to sleep with him.

Bill C on February 8, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Idea… Conan get’s the gig at the big Fox network for 11:30 stomping out Letterman and Leno, followed by Red Eye at 12:30

FTW, and boom goes the dynamite

RightWinged on February 8, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Bill C on February 8, 2010 at 9:54 PM

I thought Bill was gay, or was that just Greg’s cruel invention?

Free Constitution on February 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I KNEW AP=TV’s Andy Levy!

margategop517 on February 8, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Off Topic:

Just watched Red Eye Tribute including Greg making fun of Andy Levy’s cats. Andy Levy = AP. End of long debated story. Period. Meow.

Colorado Anne on February 8, 2010 at 8:53 PM

HA!! I just posted this on a previous thread. I think we’re on to something here. Deny it, AP. Deny it.

Colorado Anne on February 8, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Amazing: At 3 a.m., “Red Eye” beating CNN primetime in key demo

Not so amazing for us die-hard Red Eye fans. Give’em hell, Gregalogalicious Unicorn-abusin’ smurf-snuffer.

Go Gutfeld…

hillbillyjim on February 8, 2010 at 10:03 PM

YAY!! Funniest show on! TV’s Andy Levy should win an award for his pregame/halftime/postgame segments!!! Gutfield’s voicemail is too funny. Robots are killer! Hahaha! The guest absolutely make the show – last week they had John Bolton (yes, that John Bolton!)! I tivo every nite and watch back to back on weekends.

TN Mom on February 8, 2010 at 10:04 PM

RightWinged on February 8, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I agree. Conan fans would enjoy the quirky humor of Red Eye.

macattack on February 8, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Bill Schultz is definitely the funniest gasoline rag to ever reach national celebrity, besides, of course, the NYtimes.

I know at least one of you will get that one…

hillbillyjim on February 8, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Colorado Anne on February 8, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Clearly you’ve never watched Red Eye. AP is obviously Bill.

LastRick on February 8, 2010 at 10:12 PM

hillbillyjim on February 8, 2010 at 10:10 PM

***Schultzies sock puppet paper heartily agrees…***

hillbillyjim on February 8, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Red Eye: It’s like CNN, if by “NN” you mean “our dust”.

LibTired on February 8, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Clearly you’ve never watched Red Eye. AP is obviously Bill.

LastRick on February 8, 2010 at 10:12 PM

HA!!!!

Ding, ding, ding

Colorado Anne on February 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Red Eye and western time zones…..eat your hearts out eastcoasters……

Rovin on February 8, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Yep! Three years and running at midnight — and I still automatically Tivo every one of them

John the Libertarian on February 8, 2010 at 10:17 PM

LibTired on February 8, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Nice!

gator70 on February 8, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I thought Bill was gay, or was that just Greg’s cruel invention?

Free Constitution on February 8, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Bill is not gay. He’s either a sequential hermaphrodite or a pansexual debutante. I vote for sequential hermaphrodite.

Anonymous Finch on February 8, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Best reason to own a DVR. I watch it when I get up for work in the A.M. Good way to start the day with a few laughs.

gator70 on February 8, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Off Topic:

Clearly you’ve never watched Red Eye. AP is obviously Bill.

LastRick on February 8, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Just watched Red Eye Tribute including Greg making fun of Andy Levy’s cats. Andy Levy Bill Schultz = AP. End of long debated story. Period. Meow.

Deny it, AP. Deny it.

Colorado Anne on February 8, 2010 at 9:58 PM

FIFM

Colorado Anne on February 8, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Mike in GB on February 8, 2010 at 10:20 PM

hillbillyjim on February 8, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Btw, is Bill actually a liberal gay crack using homeless man? I can never tell how much of his commentary is a shtick and how much is his actual opinion.

darii on February 8, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I’m thinking a one-hour all-robot special when it finally happens.
ted c on February 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM

If I were the producer, I’d DEFINATELY book the Humpbot as a guest.

Chewy the Lab on February 8, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Mike in GB on February 8, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Only two things are not to like: 3 am airtime (Can’t watch it live at the student center because its closed) and the two week delay on episodes being posted on Hulu.

darii on February 8, 2010 at 10:24 PM

One of my favorite shows on TV! The leg chair, ab news, SE Cupp, Diana Falzone, Mike Baker, Dr Baden, Courtney Friel, the Greg-alogue, Jim Norton, Thaddeus McCotter, Oderus Urungus, King Buzzo, PAB, Greg’s Mom & Red Eye Robot Theater – what’s not to like?Mike in GB on February 8, 2010 at 10:20 PM

And Father Jonathan
and Mark Baker too !

macncheez on February 8, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Red Eye is…hands down…the best program on Fox News. It’s a primetime show waiting to happen. THIS should be on instead of O’Reilly.

HAnthonyWayne on February 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Thanks MSM. You guys are a laugh riot.

Some day soon Michell Malkin will buy and own CNN and give it to one of her kids as a birthday present to play with.

Geochelone on February 8, 2010 at 10:34 PM

HAnthonyWayne on February 8, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Probly can’t do it in prime time without majorly “cleaning up” the content.

CK MacLeod on February 8, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Mike in GB on February 8, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Ann Coulter…

entropent on February 8, 2010 at 10:37 PM

pansexual debutante. I vote for sequential hermaphrodite
Anonymous Finch on February 8, 2010 at 10:18 PM

OK, OK, OK. VErrrry disturbing images: sequential hermaphrodite: certain “attributes” in the chestal region growing while their counterparts “down south” do likewise.
pansexual hermaphrodite:a very flat chested woman binds her chest and straps on…an appendage.

Chewy the Lab on February 8, 2010 at 10:39 PM

It is on at 9 or 10 pm here (depending on daylight savings time). Eat your hearts out! I got tuned in during the first week and was hooked. I used to go to the activity pit during the first year and Greg, Andy and Bill would pop up in the chat room all the time. Haven’t been there in a while…do they still chat with the little people?

HawaiiLwyr on February 8, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Red Eye is what prompted me to get a DVR. So worth it. A year of recording it every night, and watching it the next day. What an awesome and fun show.

Clark1 on February 8, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Hey FNC, what about putting Red Eye on at 10pm on Fox Business, but on a one day delay?

NCJeff on February 8, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Greg Gutfeld: God of all that is seen and unseen.

WordsMatter on February 8, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Here in the country of Hawaii, the show is on at 10pm normally and 9pm during DST. I still have to DVR it, but I watch it every day.

Congrats Greg and folks!

StubbleSpark on February 8, 2010 at 11:26 PM

It’s a great show, but part of why it works so well is because of its time slot, I think. The pace of the show just feels like 3 AM, if that makes any sense.

holygoat on February 8, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Whatever happened to that Rachel chick from Canada?

SouthernGent on February 8, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Have watched Red Eye since the begining–great fan of theirs. Love the humor, and they have a big fan base. I think more young libs watch them then care to admit! Love when Ann C is on!

lovingmyUSA on February 8, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Whatever happened to that Rachel chick from Canada?

SouthernGent on February 8, 2010 at 11:30 PM

They got rid of her, you could tell in the first few months she was not clicking with the rest of the group. Bill wanted nothing to do with her and Andy was starting to show visible irritation with her. I guess she finally got on Gregs nerves and one day she was just gone. Good thing though because it brought us the leg chair, with rotating guests and a fresh set of legs each night. Not cool when they put Schultz in the chair on Halloween though, or Gwar in the chair the other time – NOT COOL GUTFELD.

They’re made 2 subtle references to her since her disappearance. Andy made a joke about Rachel Sklar of the Huffington post being the “second scariest Rachel he knew” and a couple months ago they all laughed about how much the show has changed over the years and how “someone” went missing.

Daemonocracy on February 9, 2010 at 12:16 AM

BTW who’s that funny little announcer dude?

I keed. I keed.

hillbillyjim on February 9, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Mike in GB on February 8, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Barret Swatek, James Joyce, Mike Baker (not Mark) and how could you forget Carrie Keegan. Oh how do I appreciate Carrie’s Keegans.

rmel80 on February 9, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Would be more enjoyable without Bill. He’s annoying, at times offensive (in a “thanks for ruining what was supposed to be a break from that crap” way), and not particularly funny.

jjraines on February 9, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Daemonocracy on February 9, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Thanks for the update. I dont’ stay up to watch it normally, and I don’t have DVR (!).

SouthernGent on February 9, 2010 at 12:45 AM

I still want to know why Barret Swatek was wearing khaki cargo pants while sitting in the leg chair?

I know there was a blizzard and all, but why couldn’t she have brought along the requisite miniskirt?

Why?

Why?

panzerkardinal on February 9, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Great way to end the day. Now THAT was funny.

Mojave Mark on February 9, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Allah, you want to talk amazing? Patty Ann Browne’s outfit on Red Eye last August 6th was amazing. They’d be beating O’Reilly if they did this every night (and the outfit’s another reason why they should keep the show at a decent post-bar closing hour).

jon1979 on February 9, 2010 at 1:40 AM

I’m still leaning towards AP=TV’s Andy Levy as Bill doesn’t have cats and just doesn’t seem to have a Conservative bone in his OWEbowmao sequential hermaphrodite body.

I love when Greg calls Bill a spew of names ending in Commie Pinko and when Bill gets caught on TV pulling “Pinch’s” string! “We can fix that in Edit Greg! We can fix it in Edit”!

margategop517 on February 9, 2010 at 2:04 AM

I love Red Eye but I agree with you, AP, cat jokes are appalling and deeply offensive in every way (also threatening).

Only someone like Rahm Emanuel would tell cat jokes.

HellCat on February 9, 2010 at 2:44 AM

Part of its appeal is that it’s on at 3am. Moving it to an earlier, or prime time slot will kill it.

long_cat on February 9, 2010 at 3:00 AM

Red Eye rocks.

It’s sorta like the way Bill Maher’s Politically Incorrect used to be (eons ago it seems)…people get on there and nothing is sacred. Also, the Lefties don’t like it because they think that Conservatives can’t be funny.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 9, 2010 at 6:32 AM

I love Red Eye!!! Rerunning all five shows on the weekends would make lots of people happy.

yoda on February 9, 2010 at 6:43 AM

Very funny show! Any show that has Mr. Jimmy Norton has to be nº1.

madne0 on February 9, 2010 at 6:55 AM

That show is lame, crude, and hardly funny. And it certainly doesnt belong on Fox News, no matter what time it is. Id expect to see it on Comedy Central or Fox.

bucsox79 on February 9, 2010 at 7:07 AM

I love all the silent-but-painfully-hot chicks. Oh…and the cat jokes.

Jaibones on February 9, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Red Eye is must-TIVO TV in my house.

Love me some S.E. Cupp and Patti Ann Browne.

BlueStateBilly on February 9, 2010 at 9:31 AM

jon1979 on February 9, 2010 at 1:40 AM

Those were some of the single greatest mam..uh, MOMENTS I have ever seen on television.

BlueStateBilly on February 9, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Brought to U.S. by Gregory’s hair.

Insults, and a half-time progress report to let U.S. know we were right that certain comments were a bit over the top.

Finally, Ogerman would not be able to understand half of the robot program because it uses words he has never been told exist.

MSGTAS on February 9, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I like to watch Rep Thaddeus McCotter on Red Eye, a returning guest he’s good. I don’t get why he’s on in the middle of the night though.

Dr Evil on February 9, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Finally, what kind of topics would the program cover if it were renamed, “Red Eye for the Science Guys”

I know – “What is the inverse of a Vulcan Mind Meld?”

MSGTAS on February 9, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Mike in GB on February 8, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Ann Coulter…

entropent on February 8, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Remi Spencer….

pseudonominus on February 9, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Best guest combination: Ann Coulter & Dr. Lamont Hill.

How funny was the bit when the Harry Reid “light skinned” came to light and Ann remarked that “we like the dark skinned ones” and then proceeded to name about 7 popular African American conservatives. The whole place went up for grabs!

Queen0fCups on February 9, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Just a coincidence, yesterday was the first time I ever saw “Red Eye”, and I liked it!

joe_doufu on February 9, 2010 at 12:03 PM

What I like about Red Eye is the absence of pundits screaming over each other to get the last word for their side.

entagor on February 9, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Love the LEGGS chair!!!

lwssdd on February 9, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Best show on TV. And there is PAB. The show when she wore ‘The Dress’ will live forever on my DVR.

S.E. Cupp, Ann Coulter, Remi Spencer, Michelle Collins, Alison Rosen, Barrett Swatek, Carrie Keagan, Diana Falzone, Mary Katherine Hamm, Andrea Tantaros, ..and many interesting furry animals.

Dave in San Diego on February 9, 2010 at 6:19 PM