Video: The first ultra-scary Tebow ad for Focus on the Family

posted at 3:24 pm on February 7, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Steven Ertelt at LifeNews got an advance look at the Focus on the Family ad for this evening’s Super Bowl [see update below -- for the pre-game], featuring Pam Tebow and her son Tim. The ad, which created a firestorm of controversy, shockingly depicts a mother proud of her son, who “almost didn’t make it into this world,” and even more horrifyingly notes that “I love him.” Next thing you know, Super Bowl ads will talk about apple pie, hot dogs, and the American flag. It’s a slippery slope, I tell you:

Besides calling her Heisman Trophy winning son a “miracle baby,” the ad never discusses explicitly the heartbreaking choice offered to Pam Tebow during her pregnancy. For that, the ad refers viewers back to Focus on the Family. Just remember that this was the commercial that infuriated feminists when you’re watching the GoDaddy commercials and skimpily-dressed women selling beer. Be sure to check LifeNews for the transcript.

Update: This is one of two commercials — the other one will run during the game, and that will be the more “controversial” spot. This is the pre-game ad, which is running now.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Your side of the argument is, only tell them some information. Don’t worry, happy, if any woman dies because she chose to risk her life, I’m positive she won’t be blaming you for not “warning her” of the Tebow’s evil scheme…

MeatHeadinCA on February 7, 2010 at 7:10 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Ah… but their message is the same as Tebow’s actually worse since they are risking Mama Duggar’s life more times!!! OMG!!!

MeatHeadinCA on February 7, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I don’t fear the commercial I just think it manipulatively preys on the hopes of womens what are in a terrible and vulnerable place.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:11 PM

So funny.
Doctors seem to think they should be able to dictate a mothers choice and force her to have an abortion. But if she chooses life she is an idiot and should lose her right to choose.
To argue here that it would have been fine to have forced her to have an abortion boggles my mind. She was never in immediate danger of her life. But even if she was she should have the right to choose to argue otherwise makes a complete joke of “Pro Choice”. Of course when they argued against this ad they already made a complete joke of it. It only “advocated” a football player and how great it is he was born.

Steveangell on February 7, 2010 at 7:11 PM

They’ll never find one, happyfeet. For the 100th time, expectant management is a medically viable option following a partial placental separation. Mrs. Tebow was not actively hemoraging, and her life was not in direct danger. Overzealous doctors urged abortion, but that does not mean that abortion is the proper way to care for highrisk pregnancies.

There are very, very few times when an abortion is necessary to save the life of the mother. Any woman who comes in with heavy bleeding during pregnany is told what to look for and when she is facing an emergency situation. There is absolutely no reason that any woman would die because she decided not to have an abortion at the first sight of blood.

Women facing high risk pregnancies are given very detailed instructions on what to look for if they are choosing to continue a pregnancy. You don’t just send them out and hope for the best. I can probably go dig my discharge papers out of my files to find the exact instructions.

Vera on February 7, 2010 at 7:11 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Then, you probably object to pro-choice Doctors strongly encouraging women in the same vulnerable place to have an abortion because it’s physically safer…

MeatHeadinCA on February 7, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I don’t want to force women to have an abortion. I just don’t want them faced with a sick marketing campaign urging them to dismiss their doctor’s advice and risk their lives and then end up dead.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:08 PM

How is this a “sick” marketing campaign? And where in the tv ad does she say she dismissed her doctor’s advice? And anyway, isn’t that her right? Her

decision

?

ladyingray on February 7, 2010 at 7:13 PM

ladyingray on February 7, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Ah, but the mindless mothers that MAY have a risky pregnancy might not be able to chose to listen to any other advice other than perhaps what the frowny FOTF offers because they’ve been MINDWASHED! /happyfeet

MeatHeadinCA on February 7, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I don’t have as story that I know of I was adopted.

I believe MeatHead was referencing your wife’s death. Seeing as though she died of the same condition that affected Mrs. Tebow, it would follow that you could offer a counterbalance to the ad.

Vera on February 7, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Personally, I think this happyfeet fellow is an authoritarian. Why don’t you just go join the close minded left, hf?

MeatHeadinCA on February 7, 2010 at 7:15 PM

It’ll be brilliant brilliant brilliant until the media finds stories of dead women what wanted to do it Mama Tebow’s way.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:02 PM

What about those women who die because of getting abortions? What about the people who were told they would dies but instead have healthy lives with their children? Why do you pro-abort people always assume anyone who doesn’t choice abortion is just an idiot who didn’t have all the info? Why can’t you respect the women enough to make their own decision, even if they want to risk their life for their child? It’s really creepy and sick imo.

Why are you pro-abort people so against women choosing NOT to abort? And why must you label them as ill informed if they don’t abort?

Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 7:16 PM

New Tebow thread… Go, happy, go warn the women unable to make a decision while in a vulnerable state of mind! Hurry! Get up to the next thread. See ya there ;)

MeatHeadinCA on February 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I’m not an authoritarian. I don’t care if people have abortions or not. They just should be able to I think without recrimination from a bunch of hateful judgey Christians.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:11 PM

So you don’t think they should be reminded that their child is precious and just MIGHT be worthy of their sacrifice?

Fighton03 on February 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM

which, I’m a good Lutheran by the way… just not a very judgey guy.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Hate? Judgement? Look in the mirror.

Fighton03 on February 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Oh, now, now… don’t be hating on Christians Mr Fascist… :(

Have an open mind! Are you in a vulnerable spot? Sawweess

MeatHeadinCA on February 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM

don’t care if people have abortions hold slaves or not. They just should be able to I think without recrimination from a bunch of hateful judgey Christians

Same mentality, different generation.

Vera on February 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM

which, I’m a good Lutheran by the way… just not a very judgey guy.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Claim of yourself what you wish too. The rest of us see you by your posts.

Fighton03 on February 7, 2010 at 7:20 PM

just not a very judgey guy.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM

*snort*

You’re definition of “judgey” must change by the second… now go check out that newest condescending Tebow ad…

MeatHeadinCA on February 7, 2010 at 7:20 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I think a different commercial aired on my TV than it did on yours…

Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM

‘good Lutheran’ and pro-abortion are incompatible, but you are a serially deluded reprobate…

daesleeper on February 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Nope, no judgment on Happyfeet’s part regarding the Tebow ad. None at all…

Vera on February 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Sounds to me you are the one being manipulative.

No woman was preyed on in this ad.

Most women have children because they want to. Having children always involves risk. Women accept that. Women also want the choice to make their own decisions. Many women feel the life inside them has rights just like their own. You seem to have such a narrow mind you can not comprehend that.

Telling a wonderful story about a woman’s choice to value her unborn child is not preying any one. You claiming it is IS.

Steveangell on February 7, 2010 at 7:22 PM

which, I’m a good Lutheran by the way… just not a very judgey guy.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM

WTF?!?!?! Are you not even reading your own posts???

Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 7:23 PM

The Ad Council must love you people.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:24 PM

The Ad Council must love you people.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:24 PM

THAT’s your comeback? Seriously, go help some mentally challenged people that can’t make decisions for themselves – i.e. the entire female population.

MeatHeadinCA on February 7, 2010 at 7:26 PM

The Ad Council must love you people.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:24 PM

They might, but I know my son does.

Fighton03 on February 7, 2010 at 7:26 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Real, grown-up women–the kind who make excellent mothers–know that LIFE can be a terrible and vulnerable place. We embrace it anyway, happyfeet, for our children and for ourselves.

Grace_is_sufficient on February 7, 2010 at 7:30 PM

daesleeper on February 7, 2010 at 7:21 PM

He’s a “Good Lutheran” who is pro-abortion.

a “just not a very judgey guy” who is spending the superbowl bashing “mama tebow” for daring to share her story.

and he’s “pro-choice” unless that choice is for a mother to risk their life for her child. Then she is a victim of a slick add campaign.

Happyfeet is a complicated person… or he has Dissociative identity disorder… or he’s full of sh!t…

Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Thanks, Ampersand.

ok my Hot Air friends I will see you later and we can talk about other stuff. Thank you for a nice discussion.

Especially Vera who was very compelling really and made me think about exactly how necessary abortion ever really might be to save the life of a mother.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM

He’s a “Good Lutheran” who is pro-abortion.
Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Must be this kind of Lutheran. My kind of Lutherans recognize abortion as an evil sin.

There are liberal Lutherans, and there are conservative Lutherans…

OmahaConservative on February 7, 2010 at 7:35 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM

That isn’t what you needed to reminded of, and if that is all you ‘took’ from this discussion, then you learned nothing and only chose to reaffirm your own bias. good bye.

Fighton03 on February 7, 2010 at 7:36 PM

which, I’m a good Lutheran by the way
happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I’m a Lutheran and I guess I missed the service that mentioned that Lutheran’s were pro-abortion.

yoda on February 7, 2010 at 7:37 PM

I don’t think ciga

rettes should be banned because number one they are very tasty and number two they are your best friend when the world turns against you and number three they are very tasty.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Mister Obama, welcome to Hot Air. We are so pleased that would join us. Plase, have a seat, take a listen and absorb our wit and our wisdom.

Key West Reader on February 7, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Grace_is_sufficient on February 7, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Fight On Grace!

Fighton03 on February 7, 2010 at 7:38 PM

yoda on February 7, 2010 at 7:37 PM

We are the right kind of Lutherans, Darlin’ who still call sinning as sinful.

OmahaConservative on February 7, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 7:31 PM

More like serial agitator with lots of free time. Insincere and incendiary. Isn’t that psychopathic?

daesleeper on February 7, 2010 at 7:39 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Heh.

Oh, and Feh.

Key West Reader on February 7, 2010 at 7:40 PM

OmahaConservative on February 7, 2010 at 7:39 PM

You got that one right!!!

yoda on February 7, 2010 at 7:42 PM

I’m honestly not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but if you are sincere, then thank you.

Abortion is very rarely necessary to save the life of the mother. Tubal or molar pregancies or an acute disease are the only reasons to abort to save the mother’s life during early pregancy. Total abruptio kills the child before an abortion could ever be considered, and partial is often managable.

Later pregnancy issues like preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, or pprom may need to result in an early delivery, but never necessitate outright killing of the child.

Vera on February 7, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Behold. Witness the destruction and defeat of a troll who was formerly known to have happy feet. The Happy Feet of Hope and Change hath dismissed itself from amongst the ranks of the blithering fools now known as We The People.

Lo and make quick the path of his messages to the One. Who sits on a donut. in the Oval Office. Whilst his tears are dried by a … Whose Press Secretart (silently known as Peter Griffin) spews forth excuses for the One Who Will Become The Biggest Failure in History. Truth Hath No Place In This Kingdom Done”

So let it be said. So let it be done.

/awwe sh*t I’mma get audited now.

Key West Reader on February 7, 2010 at 7:49 PM

One other thing though. I don’t understand exactly why you applaud how “foolish” this makes people who are pro-choice look. Doesn’t this commercial make both side look pretty silly? These Focus on the Family losers spent millions of dollars for a tepid and completely forgettable anecdote I think.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Welcome to a conservative blog.

You can actually read it without having to worry that your mom might read it.

Ideas are actually discussed.

We ban people that just call others names. We never label those that engage in debate with homoerotic names.

Go back home happy feet where you will find all those words that comfort you and offend 95% of Americans.

Steveangell on February 7, 2010 at 7:56 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Thought you made an exit.

OmahaConservative on February 7, 2010 at 7:57 PM

I was sincere Vera and I changed my take on it a little already and I told my friend he was right to steer the discussion of the Tebow ad towards a question of how often is it truly necessary to have an abortion to save a mom’s life. I will copy that part of the comment I made at another blog.

I don’t think it’s very persuasive, and I think you’re on the money with respect to directing the conversation towards questioning how often abortion may or may not be necessary to save the life of a mother.

I think maybe a commercial about that would have been more compelling. Or if they had added some factyness about that to this one.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Happyfeet, they were able to have a national conversation on the issue, and get out the Tebow story. The fact that the commercial itself was so unobjectionable was part of the plan, I’m sure.

They correctly calculated that the pro-”choice” side would cry foul at the mention of the choice to give life. This makes NOW & comp. look quite pro-abortion to rational, middle of the road people. The fact that the ad itself is so tepid underscores the view that the pro-lifers were completely reasonable and the pro-choicers were stark raving mad.

Vera on February 7, 2010 at 7:58 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:53 PM

No. Focus on the Family spent money on something they believe in greatly. They also manipulated people like you and the pro-abort crown into turning an otherwise forgettable commercial into something that has been talked about for a week and something that will be talked about tomorrow. They got spent their advertising money well. You guys helped them get a lot more bang for their bucks.

Because of people like you and the pro-abort feminists this add got a lot more attention than it would get otherwise and now people are saying “this is the evil add that got their panties in a bunch? How ‘solid’ is their argument when this is the voice they need to silence and counter.”

Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 8:03 PM

They are upset about that?

You have got to be f’in kidding me.

Some financial analyst at Planned Parenthood figured out that the add would save 10,000 babies and sent his spreadsheet to the management who of course are upset about the blood money they may lose because of this add.

Absolutely EVIL mofos. Himmler would be proud.

Sapwolf on February 7, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Most people aren’t going to follow that logic path, Vera. They’re just gonna think the commercial was fluffy and unimpactful.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 8:03 PM

forgive my many typos. multitasking here. :)

Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Focus on the Family isn’t even a half-step closer to being a mainstream organization because of this ad, Ampersand.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 8:08 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 8:07 PM

If your side had stayed quiet then I would agree. Y’all gave this story legs and a life beyond the commercial. Thanks and congrats!

This will always be seen as the ad “they” tried to ban. Now that the ad is seen who looks like a fool? The people who made it or the people who feared it so greatly?

Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Happyfeet, they’re going to think “wtf, Planned Parenthood was freaked out about THAT?!”

Later when PP beats it’s drums against some random pro-life violation, the memory of this fiasco will return.

Vera on February 7, 2010 at 8:12 PM

I’m not a NOW NARAL type person I just believe in freedom for women to have abortions.

I just don’t think this Tebow thing moves the dial except for abortion-obsessed geeks.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM

I’m not a NOW NARAL type person I just believe in freedom for women to have abortions slaughter their innocent pre-born children in utero.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM

FIFY

OmahaConservative on February 7, 2010 at 8:16 PM

some random pro-life violation

Hey another abortion doctor got shot to death.

So what you’re just overreacting it’s just like with the Tebow ad hahaha.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 8:17 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Says you. But a lot more people know who they are thanks to the controversy ginned up by your side. And the conversation is being had. Also your side has a lot more egg on it’s face than it had before. Maybe that was the goal.

They got their opposition to promote their commercial beyond anything they could do on their own. Marketing wise this was very well played. Y’all got used. THIS was the ad the pro-abort crowd and NOW wanted banned?

Focus on the Family got A LOT of publicity for this ad.

AND they made their opposition look like fools and tricked them into showing their true colors.

It’s hard to see this as anything other than a success for Focus on the Family at this point.

Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 8:18 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:57 PM

“Pants on the Ground”

Key West Reader on February 7, 2010 at 8:21 PM

some random pro-life violation

Hey another abortion doctor got shot to death.

So what you’re just overreacting it’s just like with the Tebow ad hahaha.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 8:17 PM

bringing abortion doctor shootings into this conversation? This ad is making you guys implode!

Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 8:21 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Are you paid by the hour, or by the post?

Key West Reader on February 7, 2010 at 8:24 PM

“You shall judge a man by his foes as well as by his friends.” – Joseph Conrad

This is the ad that Planned Parenthood and the pro-abort crown felt the need to make their foe… says a lot.

Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 8:29 PM

I decided I think this commercial is ok.

It’s kind of sweet, really.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 8:31 PM

It would have been better though if at the end Mrs. Tebow had reaffirmed her belief that it’s every woman’s right to choose.

That would have really flummoxed Planned Parenthood.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 9:12 PM

What if it isn’t her belief that it’s every woman’s right to choose?

ladyingray on February 7, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I hadn’t thought of that.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Happy feet, whats the difference between a good Lutheran and a bad one? By the way Jesus when He walked the earth was not exactly main stream either but the main streamers wanted to kill him. I see nothing wrong with this ad but giving life an upbeat instead of a dreary news about BO and his agenda.

garydt on February 7, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Happy feet, whats the difference between a good Lutheran and a bad one?

garydt on February 7, 2010 at 9:37 PM

I am Chief of sinners of the Lutherans present at HA, but I recognize intrinsic evil when I see it, and abortion is intrinsic evil.

Chief of sinners though I be,
Jesus shed His blood for me;
Died that I might live on high,
Lived that I might never die,
As the branch is to the vine,
I am His, and He is mine.

Oh, the height of Jesus’ love!
Higher than the heavens above,
Deeper than the depths of sea,
Lasting as eternity.
Love that found me–wondrous thought!–
Found me when I sought Him not.

Jesus only can impart
Balm to heal the smitten heart;
Peace that flows from sin forgiven,
Joy that lifts the soul to heaven;
Faith and hope to walk with God
In the way that Enoch trod.

Chief of sinner though I be,
Christ is All in all to me;
All my wants to Him are known,
All my sorrows are His own.
Safe with Him from earthly strife,
He sustains the hidden life.

O my Savior, help afford
By Thy Spirit and Thy Word!
When my wayward heart would stray,
Keep me in the narrow way;
Grace in time of need supply
While I live and when I die

OmahaConservative on February 7, 2010 at 10:03 PM

which, I’m a good Lutheran by the way… just not a very judgey guy.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Except when it comes to talking about Christians who disagree with you.

Esthier on February 7, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Sounds like happyfeet read that incredibly confused piece by Saletan at Slate.

John on February 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM

I don’t like the Focus on the Family fruitcakes, Esthier. Cause of they’re fruitcakes.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 10:32 PM

I don’t fear the commercial[.] I just think it manipulatively preys on the hopes of womens women what who are in a terrible and vulnerable place.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I fear this commenter’s use of the English language.

More important, I fear the commenter’s inability to understand that the commenter’s position is more manipulative of vulnerable women because the commenter’s side presents only one alternative.

Even more important than that, I fear the commenter’s inability to understand that the consequences of the pro-abortion position is the loss of life and lifelong hurt, while the consequences of the pro-life position is, at worst, inconvenience for the mother.

BuckeyeSam on February 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM

That’s just cant. I know lots of happy people what had bortions.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 10:42 PM

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 10:32 PM

This is you being “not a very judgey guy” again huh?

Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Yes, Ampersand. That’s me being not-judgey guy. By spurning judgey freaks.

It’s what I do.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Yes, Ampersand. That’s me being not-judgey guy. By spurning judgey freaks.

It’s what I do.

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 10:51 PM

you’re a complex man happy… yeah… complex…

Ampersand on February 7, 2010 at 10:58 PM

thank you that’s very nice of you to say

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Fascists! Nazis! Absolutely disgusting and abhorrent! /sarc/

Dopenstrange on February 7, 2010 at 11:31 PM

thank you that’s very nice of you to say

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 11:17 PM
=================================================
=================================================
Who and the hell are you talking to?????

It sounds like your an echo in your very own chamber!!

canopfor on February 7, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I was talking to my friend Ampersand if you must know it’s really none of your business

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 11:35 PM

——————————-

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 11:35 PM

happyfeet: Oh,my apologies,sorry,carry on!:)

canopfor on February 7, 2010 at 11:45 PM

ok no worries

happyfeet on February 7, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Happy feet..you stuck around a long time after your ‘goodbye’. Signature of a troll. I took off to spend some time with some neighbors (something I really didn’t plan on), and yet youy’re still here so I dub the ‘Troll’. your arguments were defeated, you declared you would leave, then you continued to post. TROLL.

Fighton03 on February 8, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Only NOW can get all bent out of shape over a person who did not make the choice they suggested. The reason they have their thongs in wad, is because instead of aborting (which is their solution to everything they cannot fix) she made the choice on her own to go against conventional wisdom and take her pregnancy to full term – despite to odds.

NOW is trying to tell you with this action that they know better than you what is right and wrong.

The ad simply tells NOW that they are wrong and you never tell a lib they are wrong.

MSGTAS on February 8, 2010 at 9:41 AM