Super Bowl open thread; Update: Geaux Saints!

posted at 10:00 am on February 7, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Today brings an end to the NFL season with the grandest spectacle in American sports, the Super Bowl.  More than a billion people around the world will be watching, perhaps as much for the commercials and the spectacle as for the game itself.  However, this year the game pits the best two teams of the 2009 season, both of which threatened to go unbeaten until late in the season, in tandem breaking a record for the longest that two teams went unbeaten in the regular season.  As my friend King Banaian noted yesterday, it’s the first time since 1993 that the two #1 seeds in the playoffs have met in the Super Bowl, when the Dallas Cowboys beat the Buffalo Bills.

Which team of destiny will cross the finish line?  Let’s look at the matchups:

• Overall offense – The Colts can score, and have a good balance between the passing and running games.  However, the Saints have a more explosive offense, both with the pass and the run.  New Orleans gets the edge here.
  • QB – Drew Brees has done a great job this year, and has been a solid QB in the NFL for years.  Peyton Manning has been in the Super Bowl before and has been the best in the league for several years.  His experience and talent gives Indianapolis the edge at this position.
  • Defense – New Orleans has a good defense, but not a great one.  The Colts’ D has been mainly overlooked this season as people focused on Manning, but they turned in a stellar performance against the Ravens the week after Baltimore rolled up over 30 points against the Patriots.  The bend-but-don’t-break defense of the Colts gives Indianapolis a big edge over New Orleans.
  • Special teams – The Colts do a good job on special teams, but the Saints have Reggie Bush — and Bush can burn just about anyone on kick returns.  If there’s a game-changing play on special teams, it’s most likely going to be the Saints making it.

So who will win?  I think this will be a good game, perhaps even as exciting as last year’s classic between Pittsburgh and Arizona.  I doubt that either team will get ahead of the other by much more than a TD at any point in the game.  If it’s a low-scoring game, then the Colts win it with their tough defense.  If it turns into a shootout, then the Saints will have the advantage, with their deep threats and wide-open offense.

It’s tough, but I have to go with defense and the Colts.  I’ll pick them to win a 24-20 squeaker.  I’ll probably be pulling for the Saints, though, to win in their first-ever championship game.

Update: Congratulations, New Orleans — what a great season, and what a great game!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11

I ain’t NO buddy! – YOU were the one that went Wellstone. – YOU changed George Bush to Reggie. – I was making a joke! – Well, I guess only people that watch Ed’s show on a regular basis would get the joke. Note the post right above your post

ordi on February 7, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Sorry, lady.
I was kinda kidding myself. Just wanted to use ‘go Wellstone’ in a sentence.

Lanceman on February 7, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Jay Leno showed up at the Ed Sullivan Theater last week to tape a commercial for David Letterman’s show.

Put another way, the Saints victory was only the second most surprising thing to come out of the Super Bowl.

YYZ on February 7, 2010 at 10:52 PM

NFL is a promoter of racism and liberalism. NFL gets special breaks on property and income taxes. They plough their earnings into expansion and massive salaries for top executives.

Do not give them ANY money.

PrezHussein on February 7, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Chairman Mao got to push pimp for his Healthcare plan on CBS.

Dire Straits on February 7, 2010 at 10:20 PM

FIFY

chewmeister on February 7, 2010 at 10:53 PM

If anyone has any extra thousand or two $$$, please send me to the French Quarter to party for the rest of the week….honey, we have waited 40+ years for this!

Lady Heather on February 7, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I read somewhere that Pres Obama was pulling for the Colts….if so, FAIL!!!

Lady Heather on February 7, 2010 at 10:57 PM

You know what I find funny…

Hats off to the Saints for winning and all of that, but with all the pre-game propaganda…

Not a word, nor accountability, nor progress on the rebuilding of the levees that make this city survive by tax dollars from the entire country.

Maybe I missed it…

If I did, Linky please.

Seven Percent Solution on February 7, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Congratulations Ain’ts Saints (just kiddin’!)!

Glad to see New Orleans finally get in the Super Bowl and get that win.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 7, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Aloha, I am still here…spent part of the SB hours removing a rootkit infection, nasty stuff

Anyway, WHO DAT

Del Dolemonte on February 7, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 7, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Who Dat! back to you. :)

Dire Straits on February 7, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Can we officially quit feeling sorry for New Orleans now?

misterpeasea on February 7, 2010 at 11:03 PM

a sad sad night for the US

blatantblue on February 7, 2010 at 11:03 PM

I read somewhere that Pres Obama was pulling for the Colts….if so, FAIL!!!

Quite the opposite. He said he was rooting for the Saints, but thought the Colts would win.

YYZ on February 7, 2010 at 11:04 PM

YYZ on February 7, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Martha Coakley, John Corzine, and Creig Deeds were seen placing hughe bets on the Saints after Obie picked the Colts.

Dire Straits on February 7, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Who Dat? Who Dat? Who Dat think they gonna beat dem Saints? :) :) :)

Theophile on February 7, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Anyway, WHO DAT

Del Dolemonte on February 7, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Did you by any chance visit Ameripundits’s site today? I got a NASTY one from there. The worst I’ve ever had.

shibumiglass on February 7, 2010 at 11:18 PM

I was spitting nails when I saw the multi million dollar PR ad from the US Census.

For real. And to make it worse, it was a crappy ad.

xblade on February 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM

It’s completely crazy in New Orleans. Everyone is awesome.

exception on February 7, 2010 at 11:44 PM

It’s been a bad year so far for the libs – Brown wins, healthcare stagnates, and now the Colts lose.

HA!

Timothy S. Carlson on February 7, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Gee, does this mean we can all stop contributing to the birth to death welfare lives in Nawlins? Oooooh, I’m so mean….sorry, I’ve actually lived there….it is what it is despite the liberal media spin….

DCJeff on February 8, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Well the Saints won … and immediately semi-automatic gunfire erupted in my neighborhood.

And I live in a NICE suburb of NOLA.

HondaV65 on February 8, 2010 at 12:54 AM

DCJeff on February 8, 2010 at 12:10 AM

I was here for Katrina, and STEP ONE of the recovery was to move the welfare constituency back into the city as soon as possible.

Democrats need a power base ya know?

HondaV65 on February 8, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Yay Saints!

And yeah, the Census ad was the worst ad of the nite. Can I get a refund??

TN Mom on February 8, 2010 at 1:02 AM

As opposed to what?

YYZ on February 8, 2010 at 1:05 AM

HA!

Timothy S. Carlson on February 7, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Quite the opposite according to this article. Libs=saints.

chewydog on February 8, 2010 at 1:44 AM

You want politics and sport?

England 30 Wales 17. This weekend marked 100 years since the teams first met.

Credit to the Saints for being the unlikely winners and for bringing off some unlikely plays.

lexhamfox on February 8, 2010 at 2:27 AM

Congratulations to New Orleans Saints for a huge win!!

Drew Brees is a tier 1, super quarterback. He was unstoppable tonight.

ColtsFan on February 8, 2010 at 2:33 AM

England 30 Wales 17. This weekend marked 100 years since the teams first met.

Now THAT’s the kind of soccer score we Americans like to see!

Fed45 on February 8, 2010 at 2:46 AM

Drew Brees is a tier 1, super quarterback. He was unstoppable tonight.

Really? Then why wasn’t he 39/39? ;-)

Fed45 on February 8, 2010 at 2:48 AM

Really? Then why wasn’t he 39/39? ;-)

Fed45 on February 8, 2010 at 2:48 AM

Ok, Colston dropped one that hit him dead in the face, he spiked one to stop the clock and I think he threw one away to avoid a sack. Could be wrong on that last one.

I know you were just being facetious but it’s a shame those plays are counted against him. He was outstanding.

rmel80 on February 8, 2010 at 3:12 AM

Sorry, lady.
I was kinda kidding myself. Just wanted to use ‘go Wellstone’ in a sentence.

Lanceman on February 7, 2010 at 10:49 PM

You are forgiven. Next time chose a better place to use “go wellstone” cause I definitely was NOT. :)

ordi on February 8, 2010 at 3:14 AM

Opps, sorry about the strike thru

Sorry, lady.
I was kinda kidding myself. Just wanted to use ‘go Wellstone’ in a sentence.

Lanceman on February 7, 2010 at 10:49 PM

You are forgiven. Next time chose a better place to use “go wellstone” cause I definatley was NOT. :)

ordi on February 8, 2010 at 3:16 AM

Who Dat!
Who Dat indeed.

If we now reap as many wins as the losses we’ve sown,
the rest of the League is in trouble.

;)

soundingboard on February 8, 2010 at 5:08 AM

Dire Straits on February 7, 2010 at 11:08 PM

+ a trillion! (or so)

katy the mean old lady on February 8, 2010 at 5:10 AM

The Saints beat teams with some pretty good QBs this season-they beat Eli Manning and the Giants, Randall Cunningham and the Eagles, and Tom Brady and the Patriots.

Del Dolemonte on February 7, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Fourteen hours late to the thread, so somebody has already probably said this but…yup.

And add,Kurt Warner, Brett Farve, and Peyton Manning to the list. Three future Hall of Famers.
IN A ROW!

;>

soundingboard on February 8, 2010 at 5:34 AM

cane_loader on February 7, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Can I repost that on Facebook?

My friends and neighbors like a good new one rippin’…and that rip was a thing of beauty.

Kinda like the game itself.

Best February 7th. E.V.A.H.

soundingboard on February 8, 2010 at 5:44 AM

Congrats to the Saints! I’m still surprised they won. It was an excellent game. I’ll have to go back through the thread to see what you all thought of the half time show.

I thought the lights were well done.

dogsoldier on February 8, 2010 at 6:32 AM

I am sitting in my office in downtown New Orleans, and there are still people pouring out of the French Quarter!

The only way I can describe this is SURREAL! I was at the first game in Tulane stadium when John Gilliam ran back the opening kick for a TD. NEVER.NEVER did I think I would live to see this day! Just wish my parents were still alive to experience this.

WHO DAT!

lukespapa on February 8, 2010 at 7:04 AM

lukespapa on February 8, 2010 at 7:04 AM

That’s how I felt when the Broncos won the first time lukespapa. It’s a great feeling!!!

yoda on February 8, 2010 at 7:10 AM

Democrats need a power base ya know?

HondaV65 on February 8, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Yeah, please do get them out of Houston. Sheila Jackson Lee doesn’t need any more supporters.

conservnut on February 8, 2010 at 7:12 AM

I am still stunned that we WON

Teleycoman on February 8, 2010 at 7:16 AM

What is the metaphor for the Super Bowl outcome: The Colts are the Presidency and Congress of the United States and the Saints are the people of the United States of America. We will prevail.

WordsMatter on February 8, 2010 at 8:23 AM

What an awesome game. Glad the Saints pulled it off, they were great.

scalleywag on February 8, 2010 at 9:20 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrZin on February 8, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Boy, some folks here told me not to bother to watch. Glad I ignored them, as usual. *haha

Great game. Great win for the Saints.

AnninCA on February 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Drew Brees is a tier 1, super quarterback. He was unstoppable tonight.

Colts did a historic job of stopping Brees at the 1.

Chris_Balsz on February 8, 2010 at 9:51 AM

I love a superbowl where it’s not one sided. Couldn’t watch the Who. What’s with the dig up the old farts for halftime? Saw them in concert 30 years ago, they were good then, not so good now.

scalleywag on February 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Aint the Aints no mo!

scalleywag on February 8, 2010 at 10:32 AM

What a great game…. Tracy Porter’s interception sealed the deal…..

Geaux Saints!!!

Funny that the Saints win the Superbowl and hell (Washington DC) freezes over.

roux on February 8, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Football is so boring. Whenever someone turns it on I glaze over and long to re-sort my CD collection.

Aronne on February 8, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Colts did a historic job of stopping Brees at the 1.

Chris_Balsz on February 8, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Which QB is going home with the ring? Next?

ClassicCon on February 8, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Aronne on February 8, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Sorry it is too complex for you, I am sure there is a People magazine somewhere that you can lose yourself in for a month.

ClassicCon on February 8, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Colts did a historic job of stopping Brees at the 1.

Chris_Balsz on February 8, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Which QB is going home with the ring? Next?

ClassicCon on February 8, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Yeah and the Saints showed a lot more spirit than most Superbowl teams. I’m just saying, Brees was not unstoppable against that Colts defense.

Chris_Balsz on February 8, 2010 at 11:14 AM

WHO DAT!

lukespapa on February 8, 2010 at 7:04 AM

Ditto from a long-suffering, but supportive, Saints fan. I too wish that my dad could have been here to see it.

orlandocajun on February 8, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I watched the game with a bunch of people last night and one of them was a kid complaining about the choice of the Who for the halftime show. “No one cares about The Who!” My response to him: “Not everyone is 20, you know.” Granted, they’re up there and nowhere near what they once were, but I’ll take geezers doing great songs over the latest MTV flash in the pan any day.

It was a great game, and I’m happy for the Saints. Now we have baseball to look forward to: for all you Saints fans who say you suffered all these years, try being a Cubs fan. :)

VanPalin on February 8, 2010 at 11:35 AM

In reality, we are all too unsohisticated to see that the Colts really won the game. After all, Jim Caldwell inherited the coming up short in big games from his predecessor and the Colt’s Defense, while allowing 31 poitns, actually saved or prevented 100 from being scored, while every single football expert claimed their offense was unstoppable – thus they won. Wake up, people.

Huckabye-Romney on February 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Awesome game, the Saints brought the wood to this game. I’m proud of Saints and Congrats to the whole organization. Don’t wake me up if I’m dreaming.

la.rt.wngr on February 8, 2010 at 12:04 PM

conservnut on February 8, 2010 at 7:12 AM

Truer words were never spoken.

saiga on February 8, 2010 at 12:10 PM

The Who was absolutely awful. I had to mute. *yikes!*

AnninCA on February 8, 2010 at 12:21 PM

MightyConservative on February 7, 2010 at 10:07 AM

This man wins both the spread and the scoring.

unclesmrgol on February 8, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Good grief. Can we leave politics out of the game? Seriously.

As a born and bred Hoosier, I rooted for the Colts, but, alas. I’m almost convinced that if Tony Dungy was coaching that game, we would’ve won.

But good for the Saints. There are worse teams to lose to.

Oh, and we DVR’d the game and fast-forwarded through halftime. Can’t say I’m heartbroken about it.

lonesome_pine on February 8, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Still trying to purge that awful performance by The Who out of my mind…what was the point in that? Was it part of the “Who Dat” thing? Pete is deaf and can’t sing anymore…christ, I thought he was going to break a hip out there. If you want old guys that can still rock, get ZZ Top.

Wyznowski on February 8, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Wyznowski on February 8, 2010 at 1:29 PM

I think it had everything to do with CSI: Miami (a CBS show). The Who sings the theme song.

“You don’t fall down three stories and get up and run away…”

“(Puts sunglasses on)You do if you’ve got something to hide…”

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

darclon on February 8, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Randall Cunningham and the Eagles,

Randall Cunningham? Really? Drew Brees was a junior in high school the last time Cunningham played for the Eagles. Not sure how he could have beaten him.

Fed45 on February 8, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Aronne on February 8, 2010 at 10:58 AM

And yet you took the time to go to hotair.com, find this article and take the time to post a comment. Strange.

Fed45 on February 8, 2010 at 2:22 PM