Horror: Gametime Tebow ad features domestic violence! Update: Prediction fulfilled

posted at 7:11 pm on February 7, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Via Story Balloon, the actual game-time ad featuring Pam and Tim Tebow turned out to be a funnier version of the first one, where Tim tackles his mom — who then worries that he may not be as tough as she is. It’s cute, completely non-threatening, and utterly unobjectionable.

Which means, of course, that the people who shrieked over CBS’ completely understandable decision to allow Focus on the Family to buy ad space will have to find some reason to justify their panic.  Want to bet that someone will gripe about making light of domestic violence?

Meanwhile, GoDaddy managed to avoid the wrath of feminists while continuing its one-note campaign.  Well, two notes, actually.

Update: And you thought I was kidding

Update II: Omri Ceren takes a trip down Memory Lane on outrage over violence against women and the Left.

Update III: Another entry in the predictable spin.  At least I got one Super Bowl prediction right!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Isn’t abortion the ultimate act of “domestic violence?”

29Victor on February 8, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Of all the instances of murdering a defenseless family member, abortion takes the cake.

darii on February 8, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Isn’t abortion the ultimate act of “domestic violence?”

29Victor on February 8, 2010 at 12:08 AM

From a philisophical/moral/ethical perspective, yes. From a legal standpoint, not necessarily. Such is the disconnect between law and personal ethics.

unclesmrgol on February 8, 2010 at 12:11 AM

lol! Next time, I’ll just have one sentence and couch everything in subordinate clauses….

darii on February 8, 2010 at 12:08 AM

I do that in English and I always have to go back and fix it.

Ave et vale. Time for septimum prandium.

unclesmrgol on February 8, 2010 at 12:20 AM

darii on February 7, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Orwell was my first impression of that ad. Envirocrime, Thoughtcrime…same difference.

unclesmrgol on February 8, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty Four was brilliant…but it doesn’t mean I want to live that way. And if by “dolts” you are referring to the moonbat environmentalist wacko left, it’s not a question of if they go there, but when. Then it won’t be so cute. I have two predictions with the environmental movement; one is an annual form from the federal government that has everyone fill in information to determine their “carbon footprint” and that translates to a dollar amount that they “owe”. The other is a national ad campaign to encourage kids to spy on their parents and report any environmental crime they witness to a law enforcement agency.

But do you actually believe that if everyone on the planet were to go out and buy the car that is being touted in that commercial that the green movement would be satisfied? Nope. They’ll find something else that needs to be done in order to avert an environmental crisis of monumental proportion, and even the Eco-friendly stuff that they’ve brow-beaten, cajoled and Cap & Traded people into doing won’t be enough to “save the planet”. So, no you won’t “be OK in your Audi”. Besides, I don’t want to be OK in an Audi, I want to be OK in what way I see fit. Self-determination and all that.

Perhaps I’m just jaded, but I didn’t find any humor in that commercial at all. It just reminded me that there are people who actually want what was depicted to come to pass. We can all have a laugh about styrofoam-sniffing anteaters, shake our heads and walk away saying, “that’ll never happen, not in America”, which is the exact same attitude that netted us a marxist in the White House.

Left Coast Right Mind on February 8, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Perhaps I’m just jaded, but I didn’t find any humor in that commercial at all.

Left Coast Right Mind on February 8, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Same here.

darii on February 8, 2010 at 12:36 AM

I didn’t see either ad tonight and I don’t know a soul who did. At what time did these ads air?

fastestslug on February 8, 2010 at 12:39 AM

fastestslug on February 8, 2010 at 12:39 AM

Audi “Green Police ad

darii on February 8, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Audi “Green Police ad“

darii on February 8, 2010 at 12:43 AM

I meant the Tim Tebow ads. I actually remember seeing the Audi ad. Thanks anyway.

fastestslug on February 8, 2010 at 12:54 AM

I didn’t see either ad either.

But seeing the one posted, I know why Ed started thinking ‘domestic violence’. — to be funny, there has to some hook into reality. There wasn’t one. Very odd.

Danzo on February 8, 2010 at 12:56 AM

Frankly, I didn’t notice Pam Tebow’s skin; I was too focused on her smile and her obvious joy to have her son.

Roxeanne de Luca on February 8, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Left Coast Right Mind on February 7, 2010 at 11:53 PM

When I saw that ad I kept waiting for the Miller High Life guy to show up and say, “nuh uh, not in my America. These people don’t know anything about living the High Life!” Unfortunately, a potentially wonderful commercial turned into just another lame car ad for vehicles most Americans can’t afford.

rmel80 on February 8, 2010 at 2:00 AM

It doesn’t matter what the content of the ad included. The controversy is over the fact that Focus On The Family had the funds to afford it while the pro-abortion lefties did not.

All the lefties could do was gripe before the ad even aired.

Once I saw it, it appeared to be so tame that the objections seemed laughable.

shorebird on February 8, 2010 at 2:50 AM

Amanda Marcotte ought to sign on at LGF so she and Charles can deliver a blogger’s powerhouse punch: pictures of beaches and pictures of cats, both guaranteed to be banal. Come for the writing (oh, sure!); stay for the pictures.

ya2daup on February 8, 2010 at 4:33 AM

Roxeanne de Luca on February 8, 2010 at 1:07 AM
____________________________________________________________

Plus 1, Roxeanne. I felt the same way.

princetrumpet on February 8, 2010 at 6:02 AM

Just when you think the left has gone as far off the deep end as it can, it comes back to surprise you.

angryed on February 8, 2010 at 6:16 AM

rmel80 on February 8, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Sure they can. With only $299 down and a low low payment of $399 a month for the rest of your life you too can have this beee-U-tiful eath saving enviro-box. Never mind the insurance costs that come with a new car, and equally ridiculous registration you will pay on this car vs. the perfectly good car you drive now.

After all you want to be cool and impress the neighbors….DON’T YOU?

So put away those thoughts of “do I really need this car” and get yourself down to the local Audi dealer today. Be the 1st on the block to own this car! BUY NOW!

angryed on February 8, 2010 at 6:21 AM

Didn’t see the Tebow spot. I think our local CBS affiliate blocked the ad and played local commercials, or hyped their morning news show.

kregg on February 8, 2010 at 7:29 AM

You’re kidding, right? The pro-abortion people are not lacking funds — thanks in large part to us taxpayers. The pro-abortion types were angry because they didn’t want a pro-life group to be allowed to purchase commercial time in which to express a pro-life point of view. The pro-abortion people claim to be in favor of a woman’s “right to choose” — but they really only support one choice: abortion. Any woman who makes a different choice must be silenced.

AZCoyote on February 8, 2010 at 7:57 AM

angryed on February 8, 2010 at 6:21 AM

Plus, it’s a freaking STATION WAGON.

fossten on February 8, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Wow…Abortion wasn’t mentioned in the ad at all.

NOW: “This ad must be pulled. It will make women who have had abortions feel bad!”

Wha…?

PappaMac on February 8, 2010 at 8:12 AM

We were at a Super Bowl party, the ad aired before halftime, I think during the 2nd quarter. There were about 20 people at the party….after the commercial ended, one guy said “Is that the ad that caused so much controversy”, everyone said yep, and we all got a good laugh out of it. Cute ad….and it mad those who threw a fit about it without seeing it, look really stupid.

atlgal on February 8, 2010 at 8:19 AM

The Women’s Media Center… the group’s president, Jehmu Greene, said the tackle showed an undercurrent of violence against women.

Un-freakin’-believable.

mankai on February 8, 2010 at 8:21 AM

atlgal on February 8, 2010 at 8:19 AM

By the way the pro-life message was pushed so softly, I think that the major thrust of the ad was to expose the “pro-choice” movement for the knee-jerk liberals they have always been. It worked like a charm.

Extrafishy on February 8, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Un-freakin’-believable.mankai on February 8, 2010 at 8:21 AM

…and he wrapped his arm around her neck…

right2bright on February 8, 2010 at 8:39 AM

On the Yahoo sports blog page, Jay Busbee has a bit of a slippery slope argument, worrying that:

Years from now, as we sit through Super Bowls stuffed with ad after preachy, chastising ad, we just might long for the simpler times of burping frogs.

BohicaTwentyTwo on February 8, 2010 at 8:54 AM

If that is considered Domestic Violence, then it was just as bad in that Gatorade(?) commercial where Betty White and Abe Vigoda were playing football and got tackled. I guess it wouldn’t be “domestic” since they didn’t get tackled by family members, but it was just as bad.

At least Tim Tebow’s mom is not as old and not as likely to break a hip, lol.

jeffn21 on February 8, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Extrafishy on February 8, 2010 at 8:38 AM

Yes, Focus on the Family basically played rope-a-dope with the abortion industry’s lobby at NOW, et al with this one. Hats off to them for it, too – strategically, it was quite clever.

As you said, the whole ‘controversy’ was a ploy to draw out the pseudo-feminist left & make them expose themselves as the shreiking, unreasonable fetus-phobic extremists everyone knows they are, because in so doing FoF proved that it is the pro-abortion obsessives who are actually the ones who’re seeking to restrict alternatives available to women.

At last it was the phony ‘pro-choice’ left which was definitively outed as the ugly, narrow-minded & utterly hysterical hypocrites who are in truth the ones ‘seeking to impose their own morality on everybody else’ by limiting the rest of us to only one option, the option which not-so-coincidentally benefits the abortion profiteers.

I gotta say, as a pro-lifer I’m astonished that the folks at FoF played the PR on this so brilliantly. This should be a case study for all conservatives on how to make the left’s deceitful hypocrisy work FOR us.

leilani on February 8, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Gee, ya think the left is a bunch of hypocrites?

We can change the world.

Speakup on February 8, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Audi “Green Police ad“

darii on February 8, 2010 at 12:43 AM

The message? Buy as you are told or you will face government sanction… which is true… this ad accidentally spoke much truth.

mankai on February 8, 2010 at 9:27 AM

How any civilized human being could object to an ad that encourages the retention and continuation of human life is beyond the scope of contemporary logic and mores. For some cruel, hedonistic reason the left encourages the wholesale slaughter of human embryos and fetuses. Religion has nothing to do with this assessment, but inhumanity does.

rplat on February 8, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Un-freakin’-believable.

mankai on February 8, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Did they mention the ad where Betty White got tackled?

jeffn21 on February 8, 2010 at 9:50 AM

Left Coast Right Mind on February 8, 2010 at 12:28 AM

No, none of us want to live that way, but I laughed at the absurdity of having to live that way. Besides, if the Green Police really existed, and were as intrusive as the ad makes them, they wouldn’t have much to do after all the styrofoam was rounded up (and ostensibly buried in landfills where it could choke seagulls), and the incandescent lightbulbs were all rounded up and buried someplace even deeper.

What coffee shop would serve stuff in containers guaranteed to get you arrested?

And when Steve Martin (?) came out of the mansion to be arrested for an Incandescent Light Bulb Infraction — I’m sorry, did you see the look on his face?

Again, Audi’s message: Even if the jerks take it that far, you’ll still be safe in your Audi.

And, since some of us were into Latin a few hours back, the cop-busting segway guy certainly answers the Latin maxim Qui custodios custodiat? with a further question: Qui custodios custodiorum custodiat?

I’m sorry, but I laughed.

unclesmrgol on February 8, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I thought the Audi ad was funny. I also thought the Chrysler ad about the man who bought the car he wanted was funny. Others, not so much. Didn’t hear much of the Focus on the Family ad (was talking to someone in the kitchen) but saw it. I thought it was sorta lame and didn’t understand the tackling bit at the end.

I think most of the advertisers wasted their $2-$3 million last night.

Jimbo3 on February 8, 2010 at 10:04 AM

If you liked the Cheap Trick track behind Green Police, here’s an official Audi free dowload: http://microsites.audiusa.com/counter-auth/Cheap_Trick-Green_Police.mp3

unclesmrgol on February 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Wait. You mean that no one has any problems with Betty White and Abe Bagoda getting slammed into the mud by a bunch of young and strong football players, but this funny commercial is considered violence against women?! OY VEY!

mizflame98 on February 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Anybody notice the resemblance to Mary Steenbergen? Except Pam Tebow has infinitely more brains.

ultracon on February 8, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Audi ad, not so far fetched. UK has “garbage police” now. They wear the neon green vests, go to homes, grab up and go through people’s trash to see what they throw away. You can be fined over your trash and incandescent bulbs are outlawed in the UK.
Loved the Tebow ads. You can just see the love on their faces.

elclynn on February 8, 2010 at 10:27 AM

That was just cute and warm the only way that could be described as violence is if you are an anal retentive with absolutely no sense of humor – SEE Progressive.

Dr Evil on February 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM

mizflame98 on February 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM

“You’re playing like Betty White!” “That’s not what your girlfriend told me…”

I guess I didn’t. They were in the game as avatars for two younger men — obviously willing participants in the game.

The Terry Tate commercial, I think, is a perfect analogue to this one and illustrates the viciousness of the left. They find nothing wrong — in fact, the commenters on various lefty websites uniformly exult — in Terry Tate knocking Sarah Palin nearly unconscious using a blind-side tackle, leaving her writhing on the ground. Conversely they seemingly find everything wrong with Tebow tackling his mother, who promptly gets up, none the worse for the wear.

unclesmrgol on February 8, 2010 at 10:46 AM

“Green Police” ad: My elderly Mom said she would find that ad to be much more funny if it weren’t bordering on truth.

I agree with my Mom.

Shiny_Tiara on February 8, 2010 at 10:49 AM

“Violence against women”?

It’s official: Political Correctness has jumped the shark.

Rae on February 8, 2010 at 10:59 AM

OMG! That video of Palin getting tackled is sick! WTF is wrong with these people?

4shoes on February 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Shiny_Tiara on February 8, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I think it was beyond bordering on truth, and bordering on a slap in the face, mocking our so-called ‘freedom’ as our government tells us everything we can and cannot purchase, including “green” cars.

cntrlfrk on February 8, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I think the pundits are entirely predictable. That’s not really even a prediction.

But I will say this as an observer: That Doritos ad where the kid slapped the date? Offensive.

There were, in fact, too many tackling ads this year. And too much violence in the ads.

AnninCA on February 8, 2010 at 11:17 AM

cntrlfrk on February 8, 2010 at 11:15 AM

That ad was pretty cute, I thought. It feels that way sometimes to a lot of us. Do you have a vegetarian family member?

I do. Thanksgiving just isn’t fun anymore. *haha

AnninCA on February 8, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I should add, she’s entirely politically correct. I hear, “Oh, no, this is fine. I eat meat sometimes.”

But it just takes all the “stuffing” out of the day.

The entire green movement is well-intentioned, but it does feel a bit like the police.

I loved the one about the hot tub being too hot. *haha

AnninCA on February 8, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Marcotte is still angry she hitched her wagon to an idiot like Edwards. Nothing to see here, just another ugly feminist.

JeffB. on February 8, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Audi “Green Police ad“

darii on February 8, 2010 at 12:43 AM

One of the commenters on Hulu:

Can’t get the Audi “The green police” song out of my head now. Catchy tune.

Are you freaking serious? I feel old.

James on February 8, 2010 at 11:50 AM

The “fascist Green Police” ad was uncomfortable, because none of that is out of the realm of possibility with what Washington has tried to do lately.

The Dean on February 8, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Marcotte’s mother should have aborted her.

Nahanni on February 8, 2010 at 12:18 PM

The Dean on February 8, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Oh come on. It was poking fun at our overly-zealous relatives, I thought.

AnninCA on February 8, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Oh come on. It was poking fun at our overly-zealous relatives, I thought.

AnninCA on February 8, 2010 at 12:24 PM

It was poking fun at our overly-zealous and intrusive government. Not a far stretch either.

Shiny_Tiara on February 8, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Jeffn21 wrote:

It was a Snickers commercial. Those ageist, sexist, grandma beating Snickers executives need to be taught a lesson!

DailyDanet on February 8, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I was a regular commentator on Amanda Marcottes blog Pandagon.(I used the same name as I do here) Well regular for two weeks until I said that maybe Focus on the Family would get more contributions due to the Tebow ad. At first they just sneered at my ignorance then they belittled me and finally they kicked me off. I never said anything inappropriate, ever. All I did was look at the other side of the argument with regard to abortion she was unable to handle any dissent and booted me off. The intolerance of the tolerant left.

Knuterockne on February 8, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Credibility Bowl I

Team Tebow 245,000,000

NOW 0 (and that’s big effing ZERO)

Goldy1 on February 9, 2010 at 9:51 AM