Video: Jon Stewart impales bloggers

posted at 4:10 pm on February 5, 2010 by Allahpundit

A cute bit which I would have posted even if HA didn’t have a cameo. (Keep an eye out about a third of the way through.) His point about blogger sensationalism is fair — I nodded at it myself two days ago — but go figure that a medium driven by partisan warfare and fierce competition for traffic would favor eye-grabbing headlines rich with violent metaphors. The irony, of course, is that Stewart himself owes no small part of his popularity among the left to his status as some sort of partisan gladiator who can be counted on to make conservative guests squirm. The most famous example was that “Crossfire” segment when he got the better of Tucker Carlson (double irony: his point at the time was that cable news stupidly treats politics as bloodsport) but for a more recent instance look no further than his interview with John Yoo, which so disappointed progressives gathered in the arena to watch a rhetorical disemboweling that Stewart felt obliged to apologize the following night. Note to Yoo: Next time you’re on, turn to the crowd and say, “Are you not entertained?”

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c
The Blogs Must Be Crazy
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political Humor Health Care Crisis

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I have never understood why people take the time to comment on a thread about which they do not care.

I have heard it is possible to skip over the threads you don’t care about thereby not wasting the time of those who do care with your comments about how much you do not care.

Lily on February 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Lately Stewart’s been kind of funny, on a roll you might say. The thing he did on Olby was hilarious.

scalleywag on February 5, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Allah, I find the Stewart videos entertaining. I don’t intend on watching him otherwise.

Esthier on February 5, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Promotes Maddow too much in this clip. Made me sick.

PrezHussein on February 5, 2010 at 5:35 PM

His best line was at around 4:20:

“How does Maddow get away with evisceration? She does it on MSNBC, so there are no witnesses.”

Vashta.Nerada on February 5, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Newspaper headlines are designed to get a reader’s attention and therefore buy the paper. I don’t see how that is any different than a blogger’s headline, they’re competing for readers too. Sometimes they may be a little exaggerated, but If you said “Stewart appears on O’Reilly”, who would read it?

scalleywag on February 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Stewart at stand-up gig during campaign 08, adressing Palin:

“F*** you. ”

yup… Bloodsport.
At the time I said, “What a fraud. Clown nose off. ”

Treacher said, “THANK YOU. ”

What you said about Stewart nails it, AP:
Clown nose on. Clown nose off.

silverfox on February 5, 2010 at 5:39 PM

“Eviscerates” was a little extreme.

scalleywag on February 5, 2010 at 5:40 PM

it does appear that Stewart has finally become slightly amusing again. Especially now that he has found his balls and is willing to run with the occasional bit that isn’t a Bush rant. nevertheless i won’t watch his show. What interests me is a guy who can stand up to the mob, he merely goes whichever way the wind is blowing. Bloggers are way ahead of him on the issues. I saw the clip with Yoo, and liked how he had his head handed to him, and you just know he was prepared to ambush Yoo at every turn and figured he had the goods on him and would make him look foolish. Instead what some people found out is that when you bring in the adults people like Stewart can’t hang. Stewart and the rest of them should be ashamed of what they did to Bush and how they were taken in by Obama. what lightweights.

exceller on February 5, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Promotes Maddow too much in this clip. Made me sick.

PrezHussein on February 5, 2010 at 5:35 PM

I thought he made her look like an idiot. Oops…is it PC to say idiot nowadays?

scalleywag on February 5, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Does anyone watch MSNBC? If they closed their doors tomorrow, would nature even notice the vacuum?

GarandFan on February 5, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Wow. Maybe Norwegian shouldn’t be speaking for everybody here, but I give a $hit what Norwegian thinks, so maybe you shouldn’t be speaking for all of us, either.
Shame on you.
There’s no call for that kind of nastiness.

Badger40 on February 5, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Okay, that came across…harsh.

I apologize for that.

I just don’t understand why people feel the need to continually tell blog authors that they’re not interested in the article.

Yes, Stewart is a Lefty tool – we all know that. But hey, the clip is funny, and he actually roasts MSNBC pretty good.

You-Eh-Vee on February 5, 2010 at 5:45 PM

I didn’t think Stewart was particularly impressive on BOR last night. He isn’t worried about Iran with a nuke ’cause Pakistan has them too and hasn’t used them yet. WTH?

a capella on February 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Yes, that was the weakest point Stewart made in that interview. He actually asserted there was NO difference between Iran, Pakistan, or Russia. And yet, this IS the liberal mindset. They truly think Iran poses no threat, or if they do, as much as from Russia or Pakistan. And they wonder why the people are leery of trusting them on national security issues?

Give him props – at least he was honest. But he shouldn’t expect people to agree with him. There’s a lot of Americans who DO think Iran is a threat – and a greater one than Pakistan or Russia. Perhaps he should try to understand why Americans have that opinion.

Lily on February 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Ultimately, the readers/commenters are this blog. It wouldn’t survive without an audience. Two Jon Stewart threads in the span of a day might seem a lot to some people, but hey. You can react however you want as the HotAir administrator, or you can react as AP did – whichever you think is a winning strategy.

Sixth Guard on February 5, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I don’t think the conservative answer is necessarily “THE” answer, either.

He made some good points on that issue.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Let me see if I’ve got this straight.

Stand up comedian moves sideways into the fringe territory of political commentary. He keeps one foot in each camp, apparently so that he doesn’t have to commit.

He sort of skewers some libtards, but doesn’t draw blood. We approve because at least it looks good and who knows, maybe he will accidentally land a punch.

Finally, having completely buffaloed conservatives who desperately desire to be recognized as valued members of some community somewhere, he gets two threads at the Holy Grail of the conservative blogosphere – Hot Air. And the peasants promptly demand to be ordered to eat cake, fearing deep inside that none of them are truly worthy.

Do I have this right? Jon Stewart – desperate for relevance and respect, but deserving only oblivion due to having jumped the shark years ago.

platypus on February 5, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Yoo made Stewart look like the ignorant ass he is.
Do yourself a favor and watch the Stewart Yoo segment.

Cybergeezer on February 5, 2010 at 7:09 PM

platypus on February 5, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Let’s not overthink this.

Jon Stewart is a Liberal, of course, but he’s also a comedian and a satirist. It was probably almost a year ago now that he told an Obama joke and his audience wasn’t sure how to react and he pleaded, “it’s okay to laugh at him.”

He’s doesn’t shill for Democrats, per se. He’s politically left of me and you, but he lampoons the absurdity of politics and over-the-top media for sensationalist purposes even as he, himself, engages in absurd over-the-topness for comedic purposes.

And I think he’s pretty dang funny.

Tuning Spork on February 5, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Very funny and oh so true

Bradky on February 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM

That was funny ya’ll.

Mojave Mark on February 5, 2010 at 7:36 PM

If she commits a crime on MSNBC nobody sees it? I think he may have struck a bit too close to the truth there for Liberal comfort.

Browncoatone on February 5, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Let’s not overthink this.

Tuning Spork on February 5, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I agree. However, you did a 180 and did exactly that by explaining what is okay with JS.

I was being (or trying to be) silly and pretentious without being overly obvious. Apparently, I was too subtle.

If so, I apologize.

platypus on February 5, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Browncoatone on February 5, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Yeah but it was likely deliberate. You see, he has a LOT of MSNBC stock and he’s angling for a short-sell payoff.

In short, ol’ JS is a freaking capitalist, a la Gordon Gekko.

platypus on February 5, 2010 at 7:47 PM

That was funny, and I loved the ending, it was worth the pay off. Jon Stewart understands he’s in the business of generating ratings so why alienate any potential audience? Besides he’s funny.

I wish he would have on Rep Thaddeus McCotter (R) Michigan. McCotter is on Red Eye all the time it seems like Jon Stewart’s format would be a really good fit.

Dr Evil on February 5, 2010 at 7:48 PM

HILARIOUS!

John the Libertarian on February 5, 2010 at 7:53 PM

He’s doesn’t shill for Democrats, per se.
Tuning Spork on February 5, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Yes he does. The fact that he would have to “plead” to HIS AUDIENCE for them to laugh at an Obama joke is proof.

Narutoboy on February 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM

His best line was at around 4:20:

Vashta.Nerada on February 5, 2010 at 5:36 PM

heh heh heh you said “4:20″

/typical Stewart fan

Bizarro No. 1 on February 5, 2010 at 8:22 PM

platypus on February 5, 2010 at 7:43 PM

Ah! Sorry.

Sometimes I think I wouldn’t know sublty if it bit me in the ass.

Tuning Spork on February 5, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Subtlety, even.

(What a strange-looking word.)

Tuning Spork on February 5, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Let me see if I’ve got this straight.

platypus on February 5, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Great post.

Unintentionally or not, he is an insult to the Right both existentially and intellectually, and many of us are oblivious to the offense. Stewart will never hit the Left as hard as he does the Right because he’s a dishonest, bad-humored freaking p*ssy.

Stewart, as you mentioned, jumped the shark years ago when he began taking himself seriously. I detest him, although not as much as I do Colbert, who is the unfunniest “comedian” I have ever seen!

Bizarro No. 1 on February 5, 2010 at 8:35 PM

“Conservatives” here display embarrassing Beaten Wife syndrome over liberals. JS does a quasi-non-hostile segment featuring a SINGLE HotAir headline, and suddenly you’re ready to take a ride on his discostick?

How is it these people are consistently able to sucker you fools? They HATE you. Didn’t you hear it on his interview with Bill O? He thinks you’re all DECEIVED. He thinks you’re SUCKERS. He thinks you’re all SHEEP.

Now why would ANYONE dignify bullshit like that? Why? I hate the Left for the reason they should be hated; they’re too cowardly to admit conservatives actually believe the things they espouse. They HAVE to say conservatives are deceived, because otherwise their paradigm would come crashing down on them.

Sixth Guard on February 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Oh Jon, I remember when you took over The Daily Show from Craig Kilborne. You took some getting used to, but I grew to love your show. I only watched Nightline and The Daily Show every day.

I saw you come close to losing it on September 11, when comics wondered when it would be OK to try to make people laugh again.

For reasons too complex to describe here, I didn’t watch your show from February 2003, until just before the election in 2004. I watched as I painted a 4′x8′ Bush 2004 sign for our front yard. You had Zogby on as a guest that night, and he predicted a Kerry win. You were pathetic in your fervent hope that Bush would be defeated, because the alternative was too horrible to contemplate.

It was like a a bodysnatchers nightmare. You looked the same, but you had become a twisted version of who you used to be. It was like someone had removed a part of your brain – your BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome) had eaten away some part that was vital to reason and logic.

Nowadays I watch a couple of time a week, since my husband enjoys your show. He doesn’t take politics as seriously as I do, and has only a vague idea of details that I know you have twisted in your weird liberal way.

Ugh. You’re smart enough and independent enough in your thinking to escape that liberal trap. WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!

disa on February 5, 2010 at 10:37 PM

At least he knows PMSNBC has few viewers. “no witnesses” LOL

elclynn on February 5, 2010 at 11:35 PM

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!

disa on February 5, 2010 at 10:37 PM

You have more faith in him than I do – what gives you the idea he’s smart enough to escape “that liberal trap?

Bizarro No. 1 on February 5, 2010 at 11:36 PM