Special Olympics chief to Rush: How about not using the word “retard” anymore?

posted at 4:51 pm on February 5, 2010 by Allahpundit

He can’t accept apologies, but I guess he can demand them.

“I incredulously listened to the segment in your show in which you repeatedly and offensively used the term ‘retard; in reference to our meeting with White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel,” Special Olympics chief Tim Shriver wrote in a letter to Limbaugh today, asking that he invite Special Olympics athlete Loretta Claiborne onto his show to explain the pain the word causes.

“In my own experience, when I ask people – be they first graders or media figures – to join in stopping the casual use of the word “retarded”, they universally agree to do so. Most want to go further: they want to understand better how they can serve as agents of acceptance and dignity,” Shriver wrote. “Loretta is a role model and if given the chance to speak her mind on your program, she and many others like her would inspire you and your audience with her wisdom and toughness. This is a teachable moment. May I ask you to join her now by ending your use of this term and by further using your great influence and position to help others do the same?”

Here’s the audio of the Rush segment if you missed it yesterday. Fully 80% of our readers sided with him over Palin’s spokesman, who called what he said “crude and demeaning” when asked for comment about it and then scrambled this morning to clarify that all uses of the word “retard” are crude and demeaning, not just Limbaugh’s. (Greg Sargent, who solicited the quote, says it was crystal clear to Palin’s spokesman that he was asking specifically about Rush.) I think I speak for most of us when I say that this story’s gotten awfully tedious, but since this is a rare case where Rush actually might apologize for something he’s said, I dare say we must poll it. Lay on.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

The answer is to grow some skin and consider context.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 7:38 PM

My skin is plenty thick thanks. I guess using words like that lost a bit of its luster for me when I turned 14, but please, don’t let me stop you or anyone else from being a flaming jackass (no offence to flaming jackassess out there). I’m not one who wants to see any words “banned,” but let’s not pretend they’re harmless either. Rush also says “words mean things” and he’s right about that.

Anyway, I invite you to spend just one weekend volunteering in a center for special needs children and thier families. A little world experience does wonders for your vocabulary, as well as humanity.

DrAllecon on February 5, 2010 at 7:46 PM

ladyingray on February 5, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Wait for me, dammit!

lovingmyUSA on February 5, 2010 at 7:49 PM

I guess using words like that lost a bit of its luster for me when I turned 14,

DrAllecon on February 5, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Well, congratulations, Mr. Maturity!

Yet, I’ve noticed that you’re not above referring to people with words and phrases like, “keep F’ing that chicken” and “Jackass”, so I guess you still have a little work ahead before achieving perfection.

Would you place the words “idiot” and “psycho” in the same category as “retarded”, and if not, why not?

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM

My point was the same people that are arguing for PC in some instances, are the same people that think it’s okay to abort a baby because it may have down syndrome.
Don’t see how you can argue one but condone the other. That’s all.

Ingenue on February 5, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Jeez–assume much?

lovingmyUSA on February 5, 2010 at 7:58 PM

I guess using words like that lost a bit of its luster for me when I turned 14,

DrAllecon on February 5, 2010 at 7:46 PM

For me it was more like 10….

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 7:59 PM

This thread is an eye rape.

ProudPalinFan on February 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM

You owe me a monitor!!!

lovingmyUSA on February 5, 2010 at 8:00 PM

How about treating retarded people the same way you’d treat anyone else? The fact that people think they deserve special treatment is itself discriminatory.

Weber48IDA on February 5, 2010 at 7:42 PM
Exactly. Being “different” is not the same as not being equal!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 5, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I don’t know how Tim Shriver is the one to apologize to for all those with Special needs but I am sure the fact he comes from the Kennedy wing (The Sharpton/Jackson syndrome) made the WH think he could bless Rahm and that things would be over. When that didn’t happen the left-wing spinners went after Rush and Palin and you can bet Shriver will cooperate with that after disappointing them over Rahm. Rush knows what he is doing. When he gets smeared he elevates it highe and higher till the truth comes out and the left starts to look bad. Once again I see Ben Smith thining “we have him now” and keeping the thing going but he is just putting the thing to a level where everbody wants to knwo EXACTLY what was said and eventually Rush will win this one. This is about the millionth tiime aroiund the block on this kind of thing with Rush. Don’t doubt he knows exactly how to make it play out in his favor. Remember “I hope he fails”

Conan on February 5, 2010 at 8:02 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM

I’ve noticed that none of these people have answered this simple question: because if they do, they’ll either be revealed as hypocrites or I’ll rest my case.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Here’s the dark reality that too few want to face: retard jokes are funny.

Yes, they’re crude. No, they’re not nice or polite. Dark comedy usually is not.

Palin needs to cut out the PC word police schtick. It manages to make her even LESS endearing, which probably means nothing to those of you wrapped tightly inside of HER cocoon of personality (have you “become a fan” of her on Facebook?), but to indies like me, it’s just one more reason to not like her.

Vyce on February 5, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Yes, he was being “crude and demeaning”. He was being Rush.

jgapinoy on February 5, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I like Sarah Palin.

I just don’t agree with her on this.

sharrukin on February 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM

but to indies like me, it’s just one more reason to not like her.

Vyce on February 5, 2010 at 8:07 PM

As if you were ever going to find a reason to like her. You’d find a reason to dislike her if she were comatose.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I don’t think Limbaugh was using it as a joke, I think he was using it as a needle to jab repeatedly at Emanuel for saying something of epic stupidity.

Thus…no apology needed, and yet not a slap at PC. The SO chief should understand that Emanuel was the bad guy here and that Limbaugh would not have used it otherwise.

James on February 5, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Once again the msm has made Rush to be the bad guy for something he did not start.This whole thing has gone beyond ridiculous.

ohiobabe on February 5, 2010 at 8:13 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 7:57 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:06 PM

When you use terms like “idiot” and “psycho”, you don’t instantly get a mental image of any particular individual, or any particular type of individual. If you use the word “retard”, you do. Just as you do with the word “n*gger” (which I don’t think you’d advocate using on a regular basis, would you?).

Is it OK to refer to all Down syndrome kids as “retards”? Yes or no.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:13 PM

but to indies like me, it’s just one more reason to not like her.

Vyce on February 5, 2010 at 8:07 PM

By the way, I’m an “indie” too, and I like her. Be careful not to anoint yourself a spokesman.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:14 PM

AP,

I listened to Rush’s entire show this week. Your poll options are the joke.

You misrepresent Limbaugh’s satirical exposé of Rahm Emanuel as if Rush is having a great laugh at the expense of the mentally retarded. This is such a gross misrepresentation. For what? Hits?

I use to think you were different.

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM

ohiobabe on February 5, 2010 at 8:13 PM

The whole situation is pretty retarded.

rollthedice on February 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Question: If I say Rahm shouldn’t use the word retard am I using the word in an offensive way?

That is what we are debating here about Rush. It is not even close to the same thing.

Conan on February 5, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Bzzzzzt. PrezHussein is role playing. He is a satirical representation of Obama’s inner self, or maybe it was Saddam, I don’t recall.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

No, it’s a troll.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:19 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Oh c’mon, FR, back off a little. You’re browbeating them with logic. Sure way to make ‘em crumble like a teenager.

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 8:20 PM

You know, I thought about things in the shower and while I was getting ready.

It’s true — I do put the N word on a different plane, and I feel totally justified in doing so.

However, with other words, such as “retarded,” there is INTENT and MEANING.

If I see someone go, “Hey, look at that retard,” I’m going to say, “hey — cut that out.” It’s an intent to hurt someone.

If that same person instead says, “gosh, that movie was so retarded,” I’m not going to chastise him because, clearly his intent was to speak to the movie’s stupidity; it isn’t a commentary on mentally disabled people.

The N word doesn’t have dual usage. It’s laden with a horrible history behind it, and weighs more in “horribleness” than the word “retarded.” Retarded didn’t always carry the same offense it does now. N*gger doesn’t have that same sort of linguistic history.

Unfortunately, you cannot always engage in linear, black and white thought. Often it is necessary to take a solid stand, but in this case, a bit of mental nimbleness and gray-area understanding is required.

Clearly many don’t have those faculties.

blatantblue on February 5, 2010 at 8:21 PM

But yet you keep flogging it.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Does referring to someone as ‘physically challenged’ or ‘differently abled’ change what they are dealing with? They are still crippled, and no amount of magical thinking will change that!

People now make jokes as someone being ‘Special’ or a candidate for the Special Olympics, so what exactly has this hyper-sensitivity changed?

Calling someone a name with the intent to hurt them is a scummy thing to do, but you don’t need any particular word to do that.

sharrukin on February 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM

But yet you keep flogging it.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Yeah, that line seemed all pretense, given the context of the rest of the post.

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 8:24 PM

blatantblue on February 5, 2010 at 8:21 PM

In other words, “retard” doesn’t have the same PC safeguards against its use as “n*gger”. How about “spic” or “chink”? Even if it’s not directed at any particular individual, as in “Wow, I love those chink movies” or “I love eating at spic restaurants”.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:13 PM

So when you hear somebody call somebody else an “idiot”, you don’t associate the word with idiots, a category which includes idiot-savants? Likewise with “psychos”, your mind doesn’t associate the word with crazy people in any way, shape or form? They’re just nondescript words that don’t mean anything in particular?

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:32 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Nope. Now answer my questions.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Those are all racist words, not descriptive words. They’re still in the PC category but in a different ballpark. And when somebody uses the word “chink” to refer to a crack or a sound, it’s not in the ballpark at all.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM

What is the difference in “ballparks”? PC is PC.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:40 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM

And so then if I want to use the word “chink” at every opportunity, then to hell with any Chinese person who might object. I think that’s the logic, right?

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Nope. Now answer my questions.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I don’t believe you, and even if you’re being honest, when most people hear someone refer to somebody else as an “idiot”, they think “idiot” or “stupid”, not “doop de doo, I wonder what that means”.

I believe I answered your question in my post just above.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:41 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:41 PM

No, “idiot” in general usage means someone who is willfully ignorant, not having a congenital defect.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Just “idiot” is enough. The actual word “idiot” is a literal reference to the severely mentally retarded.

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Exactly. If you’re hoisting a load with a chain and notice a chink, hesitating to point it out, even to a Chinese person, could be dangerous.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:44 PM

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Sorry, Saltysam is right.

Webster’s II
Idiot: 1. A mentally deficient person, with intelligence in the lowest measurable range, being unable to guard against common dangers and incapable of learning connected speech.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:49 PM

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:43 PM

That’s a stretch.

The word has its roots in mental retardation. Regardless, when people throw around the word “idiot” in general usage, they mean stupid, as in mentally deficient, and not a reference to deliberate refusal to learn the facts.

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 8:52 PM

What is the difference in “ballparks”? PC is PC.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Retarded, Idiot and Psycho aren’t racist words. Neither are dumb, stupid and moron. Nor azzhole, douche bag, screw ball, scumbag, etc….

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:52 PM

What about stupid people? They have feelings too!

Can you imagine what it feels like to them when they hear that word… well, OK, you probably can.

But you see my point!

Every time you use the word stupid an angel cries!

sharrukin on February 5, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Every time you use the word stupid an angel cries!

sharrukin on February 5, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Have you a word that means the same thing that is appropriate for actual speech?

Or shall we progress into a society that speak only for the song in one’s voice?

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Intellicapped?

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Invest in teleprompters and hope you’re not telecapped.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Way things are going, it may just come to that. If the political class and their ideological cohorts can control speech, then they have a deathgrip on power. No one can challenge then without being labelled a monster, and decent people (AKA sheeple) don’t much care to have monsters roaming the countryside.

Orwell was right!

sharrukin on February 5, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Intellicapped?

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Give it a generation, and it will have worn out it’s PC welcome, for the same exact reasons and the whole stupid cycle will start over again.

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Give it a generation, and it will have worn out it’s PC welcome, for the same exact reasons and the whole stupid Intellicapped cycle will start over again.

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 9:05 PM

FIFY—and added intellicapped to my dictionary.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 8:52 PM

So you do believe in PC, just of the racial variety.

You still didn’t answer the question. Is it OK to refer to all Down syndrome kids as “retards”?

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM

So you do believe in PC, just of the racial variety.

It is what it is.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Who’s doing that?

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:14 PM

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM

At any rate, I’m about done with this thread.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Who’s doing that?

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:14 PM

I’m asking you if it’s OK. Is it?

So you do believe in PC, just of the racial variety.

It is what it is.

That’s no answer. Why are racial words off-limits?

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I’m asking you if it’s OK. Is it?

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Give me an example.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Give me an example.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:17 PM

No, never mind, I’m done. I’ve got a call coming up in a few minutes.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM

I’m asking you if it’s OK. Is it?

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM

Give me an example.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:17 PM

What? I asked a simple question. Is it OK to refer to all Down syndrome kids as “retards”?

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Give me an example.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:17 PM

No, never mind, I’m done. I’ve got a call coming up in a few minutes.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:18 PM

ROFL…get outta that corner…

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 9:19 PM

ROFL…get outta that corner…

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 9:19 PM

That’s rich! You actually thinking your winning.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:10 PM

On the contrary, back in late 2008, she was the only one of the four persons on the final two tickets that I actually DID like.

She’s done a lot between then and now to bleed all of that out of me.

Vyce on February 5, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Is it OK to refer to all Down syndrome kids as “retards”?

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Is it okay to refer to all Down Syndrome kids as Down Syndrome kids?

So, if Rahm Emanuel called the far Left a bunch of Down Syndrome kids, would Rush owe an apology to the Special Olympics?

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 9:25 PM

New show in the next season titled “Fake and the Fat Man”

Bradky on February 5, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Why are racial words off-limits?

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I tell you what, while I’m on the phone, why don’t you take a stab yourself at answering this question yourself?

And once you’ve worked out your reasoning, and presumably explained why it applies to “retarded” as well, explain how “idiot” is different, and doesn’t also apply.

If you can do that, (without claiming that “idiot” doesn’t mean what it actually means), I’ll continue the conversation a while longer after my call.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:27 PM

If I were to tell a friend, ‘People who trust anything 0bamessiah says are retarded,’ and not have people suffering from Mongolism in my thoughts when saying that but instead meaning “retarded” in the ‘excessively stupid’ sense, who’d be presumptuous/arrogant enough to tell me I meant it as a slur anyways?

I know it’s been said already, but I’d like to emphasize that the bottom issue here is control. Who should control language – the person who uses a word with a specific meaning in mind, or the person who hears the other person use that word and decides what the other had in mind when saying it? If you subscribe to PC, you answer the latter.

People who want “retarded” banned because it’s “wrong” to use should explain: is it wrong to think about using the word w/o saying it?; it wrong to say it to yourself?; is it wrong to say privately amongst friends who aren’t offended by its usage?; is it wrong to say in public amongst friends when you don’t believe anyone else will overhear you?; is it wrong to say in a comedy club?

Bizarro No. 1 on February 5, 2010 at 10:13 PM

This is f****** retarded.

Sarah just has to be involved in something now. She’s just becoming another political hack who uses the same junk we’ve been seeing in Washington.

You can’t stand the word retarded – please… I’m so tired of this PC BS.

I would never refer to a kid with down syndrome as a “retard” – nor a “mentally challenged” or “mentally handicapped” adult as a retard : but I would refer to to the president’s budget as retarded. Words mean things – and so does context. Not to mention – when did conservatives take up the word police mantel???? Sarah – stop being a victim.

charlie36r on February 5, 2010 at 10:24 PM

can’t believe this was ever even brought up for anything other than political expediency. Iran’s working on a bomb – our country is broken – we’re owned by China – and Sarah and a bunch of others want to get people fired for rude comments in a meeting?????

charlie36r on February 5, 2010 at 10:31 PM

mantle

charlie36r on February 5, 2010 at 10:33 PM

ROFL…get outta that corner…

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 9:19 PM

That’s rich! You actually thinking your winning.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Well, answer the question, champ.

Is it okay to refer to all Down Syndrome kids as Down Syndrome kids?

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Wrong question. Would Rahm Emanuel owe the apology?

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:27 PM

The word “idiot” didn’t originally have a clinical meaning. Look it up.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 10:49 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 9:27 PM

No YOU answer it. It’s your contention that there’s a difference. Racial PC is OK; non-racial PC brings cries of “Thought police!” It’s OK to refer to all Down syndrome kids as “retards”?

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Wrong question. Would Rahm Emanuel owe the apology?
ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Usually, I’m an admirer of your comments…

Well, you see the irony, but a bit shy of the point.

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Wrong question. Would Rahm Emanuel owe the apology?
ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Usually, I’m an admirer of your comments…

Well, you see the irony, but a bit shy of the point.

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 11:39 PM

OK, here’s my opinion on the whole thing. I don’t get all upset over the use of the word “retarded” in a pejorative sense, but then I don’t have a special-needs child and so am not as sensitive as some would be to that. But I think that’s only partly the reason for Palin’s comment. I think she was holding Rahm to the rules of his own party, and I think Rush was doing the same. Should Rahm be fired for this? No. Should Rush have to apologize? No. Should “retarded” be used less as a pejorative? Yeah. It sounds middle-schoolish, on the same level as “that’s so gayyyy….”

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 11:44 PM

–Genghis Khan would feel uncomfortable.

Jimbo3 on February 5, 2010 at 11:57 PM

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 11:44 PM

We’re so close to seeing it the same.

But, I see it like this. If Rahm had chosen to call the far Left a bunch of f’n Down Syndromers, it is correctly meant as an insult to the far Left’s intelligence. It’s the same for the choice of the word “retards”.

It’s a little like insulting a man by calling him a woman. Are women owed an apology?

How about calling a man a b!tch. Are women owed an apology?

In either case, I would say no, not at all.

I’m a Palin fan. I just think she got it wrong here. Big deal.

Saltysam on February 6, 2010 at 12:00 AM

It sounds middle-schoolish, on the same level as “that’s so gayyyy….”

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Yeah, but we could go all night looking for examples of this where adults use this type of thing as effective rhetoric, even if it is crude and immature.

I mean, at the end of the day, I found myself in complete agreement with Rahm the Poopie Head, but I do think he could have used a different term.

I think refering to the Far Left as brain-dead-booger-eaters would have been a far more appropriate analogy.

Saltysam on February 6, 2010 at 12:09 AM

These are just bad days to be someone with Down syndrome. Not that many on here care too much.

We can all picture in our minds the kids at school who poke fun at the kids with special needs. They are themselves, special people too.

caygeon on February 6, 2010 at 12:10 AM

I think he should stop using the “retarded” slur against liberals and just use idiots.

Nethicus on February 5, 2010 at 4:54 PM

The phrase “mentally retarded” was “invented” as a polite way to say “idiot”, which in turn was a polite word “invented” to replace “imbecile”. Both the words “idiot” and “imbecile” appeared in questionnaires associated with the Census in the 1800′s, and the words meant what the modern term “special needs” means.

Every non-PC term gets replaced by a term which is PC, and the PC term eventually becomes non-PC and needs replacement itself. Such is the human condition.

unclesmrgol on February 6, 2010 at 12:14 AM

How about calling a man a b!tch. Are women owed an apology?

Saltysam on February 6, 2010 at 12:00 AM

It depends on the man.

Since Mr. Emanuel attempted to compare liberals to special needs people, I should think that yes, the special needs people are indeed owed an apology.

unclesmrgol on February 6, 2010 at 12:19 AM

unclesmrgol on February 6, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Heh!

Point taken.

Saltysam on February 6, 2010 at 12:34 AM

–Genghis Khan would feel uncomfortable.

Jimbo3 on February 5, 2010 at 11:57 PM

I know, I know.

I hope I can receive some sort of forgiveness – afterall, it’s hard to know exactly when a word has passed from being acceptable into being offensive. Kinda like fashion!

Bizarro No. 1 on February 6, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Saltysam on February 6, 2010 at 12:09 AM

right on! or the cruelest cut-down that I know of – “wastes of sperm.” – that would be in keeping with their pro abortion tendencies. Like Rush says, the pro abortion crowd aborts their own kind and then they wonder why more and more their are fewer and fewer people who are pro abortion (or “Choice” if you prefer to go by that PC term).

For the record, I’m one of the 20% who think that Rush should knock it off. I’m a 24/7 subscriber, and still will be whatever he does. I’ve just been blessed to know plenty of special needs people who deserve better.

Yes, the term was known to be PC at one time, but since it has evolved into a term of derision, it’s best to avoid. Rush is a big enough man to do that. Let Rahm Emanuel continue to play handball on the curb like the little man that he is.

kscheuller on February 6, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on February 6, 2010 at 12:36 AM

I’m a free speech man.

The PC crap is dulling our senses. I would prefer if we say whatever, and to hell with the offended.

And yes, there are words that offend me.

Saltysam on February 6, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Saltysam on February 6, 2010 at 12:44 AM

I’m with you, except for the “to hell with the offended” part. It’s good to be considerate to the sensitivities of others and be tactful, but that line stops where the offended are trying to impose their sensitivities upon the intent of those who are offending them.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 6, 2010 at 1:07 AM

I listened to Rush and heard him explain that he was using sarcasm when he used the word retard over and over. I love sarcasm and I love edgy humor but enough is enough. Some of you talk about thick skin or thin skin but how do you describe the mentally challenged people who must wear their skin for ever? There are so many good things to go after with this admin that we don’t need to go after the ones that need our protection. I know several Down syn. kids that my kids grew up with and the word “Retard” never crosses my mind. Happy and affectionate but never retard. Rush is not God and he screws the pooch as often as anyone ever has. Let him explain once and then apologize for using sarcasm in forum that offend some of his regular listeners. Apologies don’t cost a cent and they bring big dividends.

inspectorudy on February 6, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on February 6, 2010 at 1:07 AM

Well, of course.

I think those whose manner is consistently crude, demeaning, and abusive are seen for what they are. This is the beauty of free speech. No need for the PC police.

Saltysam on February 6, 2010 at 1:23 AM

I say we all get to choose one word to ban.

Mine is “the”.

Your turn.

Merovign on February 6, 2010 at 1:35 AM

I’ve helped to coach basketball for our local Special Olympics. Funny thing is- when an athlete misses an easy shot (rarely, because these players are awesome BTW) or throws the ball to the wrong team, I’ve heard them call each other ‘retard.’ I believe ‘retard’ has come to mean ‘special needs’ less and less, just as the afore mentioned ‘idiot’ and ‘imbecile’. Words fade in and out of propriety- I don’t believe Huck meant anything by N*gger Jim, either.

Hades69 on February 6, 2010 at 1:51 AM

Sticks and stones, dammit! All these partial defenses of free speech have gotten us in to the mess we are in now. No WORD is damaging to anybody who hears it. Words only have the power you choose to give them. Teach your children that ignorant speech is only harmful to the jackass spouting it and move the hell on.

Yasabe on February 6, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Rush did this to see if because he knew the MSM would eviscerate him and let Emanuel off the hook.

csdeven on February 5, 2010 at 4:55 PM

cableguy615 on February 6, 2010 at 9:40 AM

The whole situation is pretty retarded.

rollthedice on February 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Psychotic.

Johan Klaus on February 6, 2010 at 10:10 AM

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 8:41 PM

There may be a chink in your armor.

Johan Klaus on February 6, 2010 at 10:22 AM

James on February 5, 2010 at 8:12 PM

The only thing that bothers me about this is that Rush knew full well that the media would jump on him and, in so doing, give Emanuel a pass. This seems counterproductive. As a listener and student since 1988, this is only the second time I think Rush may have miscalculated the net effect of his actions.

Extrafishy on February 6, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Extrafishy on February 6, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Was your fax machine down for 24 hours? Got a link to that mediamatters talkingpoints fax?

daesleeper on February 6, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I don’t believe Huck meant anything by N*gger Jim, either.

Hades69 on February 6, 2010 at 1:51 AM

That’s because youre a f*cking retard.

Grow Fins on February 6, 2010 at 12:24 PM

If Rush had any class he’d just apologize but we all know he doesn’t and won’t. He’ll also be proud of not showing class and be hailed for it….as his listeners here demonstrate very well. I’m not a Palin fan but I give her props for standing up to childish people.

fastestslug on February 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM

fastestslug on February 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Why don’t you apologize for being a mindless, leftist dolt. I say that because it is obvious you do not have the mental capacity to listen and comprehend what is or has been said. You only responded because it gave you an opportunity to bash Rush, much like the other sh*t-for-brain troll lefties here like GrowFins, FloatingRock, et al.

Sporty1946 on February 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I have over 17 years experience working in the social services area. I have worked with both the mentally retarded and the mentally ill. Down’s syndrome children are some of the most adorable and kindest children on the planet.

It is one thing, however, to call a mentally retarded individual “retarded” to their face or in their presence purposely as an insult. It is quite another to use that same word in the context that Rush did or in a general conversation between other adults.
Listen, there are plenty of well meaning people out there who may be parents of a special needs child or work with those individuals that only have those individuals best interests at heart. But let me say, there are also plenty of wacko people in those same fields, and some of them are parents, who would love to bring all of society down to the level of an MR individual. PC is PC regardless of where it comes from. I have met some parents who think the retardation their child has should be celebrated. That the word “diagnosis” is offensive. That the word “treatment” implies inferiority. I have literature in my closet from one seminar by a paraplegic who was basically demanding that the whole world must bow to his disability and that he, as a paraplegic, had the “right” to be disabled and that treating children with certain disabilities was somehow abusive.

So, there are some wonderful people out there. But there is also a lot of political correctness, liberalism and wackos also. There are also a few dangerous ideas, that if they ever expanded or took hold would be a disaster for our society. Google “Facilitated Communication,” and see what I mean.

JellyToast on February 6, 2010 at 1:49 PM

That’s because youre a f*cking retard.

Grow Fins on February 6, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Yep- someone needs to grow ‘something.’

Hades69 on February 6, 2010 at 2:19 PM

when if your offended on behalf of your child who can’t defend himself? Is that OK with the moral arbiters here?

JohnBissell on February 5, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I already weighed in as a parent of a special needs child that I was not offended, because I understood that Rush was using sarcasm to make a point about liberals.

As I see it, I had a choice to make very early on. I could react to the insensitivity of others by becoming oversensitive myself. Or I could toughen up, let it roll off my back & move on to more important issues- like helping my child.

“Being offended” is a choice, & boy are we rampant with it these days. As for Sarah, she probably looked at both Rush & Rahm’s comments & considering the source, responded appropriately to both.

kg598301 on February 6, 2010 at 2:46 PM

The whole lot of participants in this pointless exercise need to re-read Lewis Carroll’s “Through the Looking Glass”, with particular emphasis upon Humpty Dumpty’s speech about the meaning of words.

By much of the ‘logic’ presented above, you could save lives by calling a bullet a feather. Any volunteers to prove this?

landlines on February 6, 2010 at 3:53 PM

I listened to Rush’s entire show this week. Your poll options are the joke.

I use to think you were different.

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Until Rush denounces Sarah (snort, as if), AP will keep pasting Rush’s snapshot on the third from the bullseye. It’s just collateral damage.

Blacksmith8 on February 6, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Some word Nazis have the intelligence of those with Downs Syndrome.

BL@KBIRD on February 6, 2010 at 4:51 PM

5 pages of posts on this?

That is retarded.

A Balrog of Morgoth on February 6, 2010 at 5:39 PM

The posts have been pretty fast and furious on this page, it might be time for everyone to step back and retard posting for a bit.

Koa on February 6, 2010 at 6:31 PM