Special Olympics chief to Rush: How about not using the word “retard” anymore?

posted at 4:51 pm on February 5, 2010 by Allahpundit

He can’t accept apologies, but I guess he can demand them.

“I incredulously listened to the segment in your show in which you repeatedly and offensively used the term ‘retard; in reference to our meeting with White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel,” Special Olympics chief Tim Shriver wrote in a letter to Limbaugh today, asking that he invite Special Olympics athlete Loretta Claiborne onto his show to explain the pain the word causes.

“In my own experience, when I ask people – be they first graders or media figures – to join in stopping the casual use of the word “retarded”, they universally agree to do so. Most want to go further: they want to understand better how they can serve as agents of acceptance and dignity,” Shriver wrote. “Loretta is a role model and if given the chance to speak her mind on your program, she and many others like her would inspire you and your audience with her wisdom and toughness. This is a teachable moment. May I ask you to join her now by ending your use of this term and by further using your great influence and position to help others do the same?”

Here’s the audio of the Rush segment if you missed it yesterday. Fully 80% of our readers sided with him over Palin’s spokesman, who called what he said “crude and demeaning” when asked for comment about it and then scrambled this morning to clarify that all uses of the word “retard” are crude and demeaning, not just Limbaugh’s. (Greg Sargent, who solicited the quote, says it was crystal clear to Palin’s spokesman that he was asking specifically about Rush.) I think I speak for most of us when I say that this story’s gotten awfully tedious, but since this is a rare case where Rush actually might apologize for something he’s said, I dare say we must poll it. Lay on.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

PrezHussein on February 5, 2010 at 5:52 PM

AP get rid of ass.

Amadeus on February 5, 2010 at 5:53 PM

PrezHussein was role playing, not expressing his own sentiments.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:04 PM

How about a hug instead? You don’t need to go all Obama on me now!

upinak on February 5, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Okay…and a shot of whiskey too! :)

ladyingray on February 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Then go the f*ck away…

ladyingray on February 5, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Monica on February 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM

You only give two choices in your poll, neither which are good enough to vote for. Rush wasn’t doing a “joke” as much as exposing the hypocrisy of the media. He quoted Emmanuel’s words, and even said so, but predicted the response from the media, and he was right. He calls them “tweaks”. He should not apologize.

gina4 on February 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Sarah is so on the money on this issue.

It’s not a matter of liking her for president. Just admit this.

She’s right on this issue.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Right according to who, you?

Wade on February 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Okay…and a shot of whiskey too! :)

ladyingray on February 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM

LOL sure. single or double?

upinak on February 5, 2010 at 6:06 PM

howdy stranger. I doubt we can rid ourselves of the moderates. They are like fungus of the toe nails. You will have to take a pill and grow them out.

upinak on February 5, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Unsolicited advice,but NO PILLS for nail or foot fungus. Soak in Listerine and paint with gentian violet.
You have purple toes,but they’ll have great breath.

It might work on trolls too.

katy the mean old lady on February 5, 2010 at 6:06 PM

acknowledge, move on….sheesh!

cmsinaz on February 5, 2010 at 6:06 PM

He calls them “tweaks”. He should not apologize.

gina4 on February 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Sometimes I think the media tweeks are silly insofar as the only ones who appreciate the tweek are those listeners who were in on it. Everyone who hears the reporting on the tweek just thinks Rush is a jerk. Sigh. I guess he knows what he’s doing but sometimes it seems counterproductive.

darii on February 5, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Wait, does this mean we can’t use the words “insane” or “crazy” anymore? I mean wouldn’t that offend the . . . certifiable people?
Is there a PC term for them?

Ingenue on February 5, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Or for that matter, “phsycho!”…

…and it’s derivatives, such as psychiatrist and psycho analyst.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Sarah is so on the money on this issue.

It’s not a matter of liking her for president. Just admit this.

She’s right on this issue.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Right according to who, you?

Wade on February 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Duh.

darii on February 5, 2010 at 6:07 PM

*Ick* to most of this entire thread.

Just *icky*.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 5:14 PM
Then go the f*ck away…

ladyingray on February 5, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Seconded.

HornetSting on February 5, 2010 at 6:08 PM

LOL sure. single or double?

upinak on February 5, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Since I’m buying – a TRIPLE!

ladyingray on February 5, 2010 at 6:08 PM

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I think he’s talking about context. You wouldn’t walk up to someone and scream “OMG YOU’RE SHORT!”

Ingenue on February 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Why not?

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 6:08 PM

So why not just stick to the topic.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Advice given from someone who can’t take their own advice.

A liar, a hypocrite and a gasbag to boot.

Knucklehead on February 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Wait, does this mean we can’t use the words “insane” or “crazy” anymore?

No you cannot. I’ll get back to you on what term you can use as soon as I find one that doesn’t offend anyone, and I mean anyone. I’ll get back to you in a few years maybe.

Bishop on February 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM

katy the mean old lady on February 5, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Well.. to get rid of athletes foot. You pee on your feet taking a shower. Old Doctor told me about that one.

Since I’m buying – a TRIPLE!

ladyingray on February 5, 2010 at 6:08 PM

awwweeeee crap! Who is driving?

upinak on February 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

PrezHussein on February 5, 2010 at 5:52 PM

AP get rid of ass.

Amadeus on February 5, 2010 at 5:53 PM

PrezHussein was role playing, not expressing his own sentiments.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:04 PM

You understand the troll about as much as you understand Palin. Namely, not at all.

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Wait, does this mean we can’t use the words “insane” or “crazy” anymore?

Bishop on February 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Reality-challenged?

kingsjester on February 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

There is a difference between PC BS and criticizing the casual use of an epithet that degrades and demeans some of our most vulnerable fellow human beings. One is exploiting language to enforce political groupthink, the other is recognizing the elements of common courtesy and simple human decency.
novaculus on February 5, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Do you *seriously* think that Rush believes any different?

Rush illustrates absurdity by being absurd. One of the techniques he uses is amplification. You’re welcome to think that Rush was wrong in this case, and I even have some sympathy for this point of view.

However, this story is about Shriver’s response. Look how cynical it is. He already has his spokesman picked out and identified by name, setting up Rush so if he declines to invite her on his show, he has not only hurt the Special Olympics community, but specifically Loretta Claiborne.

He’s setting the terms of the debate, challenging Rush to become an “agent of acceptance and dignity”.

Then he sends the letter to Politico for publication.

It’s the wrong venue to have this debate, and it’s a total setup.

RushBaby on February 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Is there a PC term for them?

Ingenue on February 5, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Democrats

daesleeper on February 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

darii on February 5, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Yeah, I feel that way too sometimes. I think Rush gets off on it, though.

gina4 on February 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Not really. All of those are insults, granted, but none of them are related to inhumanity.

Spirit of 1776 on February 5, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Wrong. And “idiot”, for example, isn’t a generic term: idiot-savant.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

gina4 on February 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Glad to hear I’m not alone on this one.

darii on February 5, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I’m insulted that people think that because a baby in a womb has the potential to be born with down syndrome it must be aborted. Why aren’t we going after the people that say that?

Ingenue on February 5, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Ever hear of the right to life or pro life movement to end abortion.

tommer74 on February 5, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I feel better. Most people here agree with Sarah, not with the creep fringe group.

Thanks for the discussion. I’m encouraged that we haven’t devolved into thinking “retard” jokes are PC-correct.

Heaven forbid that’s what conservatives represent these days.

Some of them here would have you believe that’s the case.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Wrong. And “idiot”, for example, isn’t a generic term: idiot-savant.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

I see your point with lunatic and psycho. But otherwise, I am content with the ground I’m on.

Spirit of 1776 on February 5, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I now invite all of you who are in this thread to the retard summit at the white house.

PrezHussein on February 5, 2010 at 6:13 PM

novaculus on February 5, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I admire you and the work you have done to help Special Olympics, and I understand your issue with the word in question. My point is that you would probably not have an issue with many other words that some might find offensive because of the special situations in their lives. I may in fact take offense to certain words or phrases that impact my life, but I won’t condemn anyone for the use of the word unless it is used to directly harm me and my situation. Then it is a personal matter between me and that person and I can deal with that myself. I know your response is that these kids with mental or developmental issues can’t “deal with it” themselves but then the comment was not leveled at them was it?

conservnut on February 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Conservatives shouldn’t play these thought-police type games.

Trent1289 on February 5, 2010 at 5:29 PM

On second thought…I think you’re right.

Itchee Dryback on February 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Heaven forbid that’s what conservatives represent these days.

Some of them here would have you believe that’s the case.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Of course retard jokes aren’t politically correct. jokes with the terms “mentally handicapped” or “developmentally disabled” on the other hand…

darii on February 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM

PrezHussein on February 5, 2010 at 6:13 PM

id gladly attend

as long as there is beer

but i swear if i get stuck with a joe biden non-alcoholic beer, ill be pissed

blatantblue on February 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I`m just never going to talk, ever.

ThePrez on February 5, 2010 at 6:15 PM

but i swear if i get stuck with a joe biden non-alcoholic beer, ill be pissed

blatantblue on February 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM

He’s probably too retarded stupid to know the difference between non-alcoholic and alcoholic…

darii on February 5, 2010 at 6:16 PM

awwweeeee crap! Who is driving?

upinak on February 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Dawgs just took my car keys.

katy the mean old lady on February 5, 2010 at 6:16 PM

As I read some of these comments, I realize I would prefer the company of the disabled and their friends and families to that of many of those commenting here. They have much more of value to share.

novaculus on February 5, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Totally agree and very well said.

Amadeus on February 5, 2010 at 6:03 PM

It’s your prerogative to crawl into your protective shell rather than grow some skin, but skin is evolutionarily superior.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:18 PM

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM

You mean most people in your head? Because the poll suggests most people here do not agree with Palin’s spokesperson.

Blake on February 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM

awwweeeee crap! Who is driving?

upinak on February 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Blantantblue? No, he’d be drunker than both of us (psst – he can’t hold his liquor)

Hornetsting? Not if Jager is around…

Crap! I guess we’re walking!

ladyingray on February 5, 2010 at 6:23 PM

novaculus on February 5, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Do you *seriously* think that Rush believes any different?

Then he sends the letter to Politico for publication.

It’s the wrong venue to have this debate, and it’s a total setup.

You hit the nail on the head. And by the way since when is taking a choice of diction out of context, exploding it into the national conciousness, making it an issue of politics, and using it as a defense for a Presidentialy appointed administration not

exploiting language to enforce political groupthink

demotheses on February 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

ddrintn on February 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Bzzzzzt. PrezHussein is role playing. He is a satirical representation of Obama’s inner self, or maybe it was Saddam, I don’t recall.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

RushBaby on February 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Rush may well understand that distinction, but he repeatedly used the word retarded in the same way Emmanuel did with the same connotations. He could have made his point without doing so. In the process, he stuck his tit in the wringer, and Shriver is cranking. I have no sympathy for him in this instance.

novaculus on February 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Ann, most of us don’t care about this, because if you start demanding one word as “offensive” then it starts controlling an individual’s speech. That’s not fringe-y, that’s just truth. Sure people say some offensive things, Rahm (who started this), and others say things to just get a reaction out of others (Rush who wanted a reaction from the MSM), but do you really think we should start banning language because of the offense? I don’t think anyone really approves of making fun of mentally challenged people – and I don’t think Rahm or Rush was doing this. “Retarded” is slang for stupid, dumb etc..

Sarah has a personal stake in this because of Trig, but she needs to toughen the skin on that. (MY OPINION)

People are jerks. People are offensive. Truth is offensive to those that it exposes. Sugar coating the facts doesn’t help anyone. Besides, this world is harsh, and at some point people have to grow past being offended at everything. Does this help the ickyness you claim over the thread?

vai2112 on February 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Dawgs just took my car keys.

katy the mean old lady on February 5, 2010 at 6:16 PM

darn it!

Hornetsting? Not if Jager is around…

Crap! I guess we’re walking!

ladyingray on February 5, 2010 at 6:23 PM

bb won’t talk to me. I guess I am not old enough or something. Hornet.. she can do the jager bombs with me.

I guess we will just have to do… SLEEPOVER!

upinak on February 5, 2010 at 6:26 PM

not about politics, about decency , I thought it was virtuous to protect the weak. It’s as bad here as dummieville. Limbaugh was wrong to turn it into a joke very few understood. Apologize Rush and be a man unlike asshat Rahm.

JohnBissell on February 5, 2010 at 6:28 PM

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Apparently you haven’t looked at the poll results….

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Okay, it’s idea time again. I am just a veritable font of ideas these days.

We agree to never use the words “retard” or “retarded” again, and we additionally all agree never to the the term “mentally disabled” again.

Instead, we substitute another term that has been abandoned by the Left lately: liberal.

And when the Left wants “liberal” back again, we switch to “progressive” instead of “retarded”.

Fair enough?

rogersnowden on February 5, 2010 at 6:30 PM

novaculus on February 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Exactly.

It’s a kind of sick world-view, apparently shared by both Dems and GOP’s.

Sick stuff.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:30 PM

tommer74 on February 5, 2010 at 6:11 PM

My point was the same people that are arguing for PC in some instances, are the same people that think it’s okay to abort a baby because it may have down syndrome.
Don’t see how you can argue one but condone the other. That’s all.

Ingenue on February 5, 2010 at 6:31 PM

You know-some of the comments on this thread remind me of this.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 5, 2010 at 6:32 PM

vai2112 on February 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

People also bury girls for flirting with men. See today’s latest story from the 3rd world.

Surely I’m allowed to view this as well as bashing people with lower IQ’s as “icky.”

What’s up with you guys? You want to insist that these people are born, so you can bash them?

Seriously. That’s way, way icky.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I guess we will just have to do… SLEEPOVER!

upinak on February 5, 2010 at 6:26 PM

SLEEPOVER!!!!

ladyingray on February 5, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Don’t see how you can argue one but condone the other. That’s all.

Ingenue on February 5, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Thank you. That’s also why Sarah calls them out.

As she should.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Seriously. That’s I’m way, way icky.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:33 PM

ladyingray on February 5, 2010 at 6:34 PM

ladyingray on February 5, 2010 at 6:34 PM

stick to the topic

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:36 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I think novaculus is speaking towards your values and not necessarily shrinking away from something that offends him.

It is those people that are closely associated with the handicapped that have the thick skin. The word “retarded” and jokes about the SO are thrown around so often and ingrained into our culture that even the president and his aides use it publicly without even a thought to how it demeans others.

Its your’s perogative to be lumped in with those who have no problem with throwing around terms in an insulting way about those who cannot defend themselves.

tommer74 on February 5, 2010 at 6:38 PM

stick to the topic

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:36 PM

STFU

You are a Moderate Independent complaining about your chunky monkey and cooking.

Stick to the TOPIC!

upinak on February 5, 2010 at 6:38 PM

novaculus on February 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Exactly, and in neither case were they referring to people with special needs.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:38 PM

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:33 PM

I’m sorry, I don’t remember stating whether you are “allowed” to have this opinion or not. I was trying to explain why some of the fellow commenters didn’t agree with you and show you that it’s not “fringey” (your word).

Sorry for trying to reason with you. I’ll leave you alone since you are offended by my addition to the discourse.

btw, the use of the term “you guys” offends me because I’m female.
..get it? It’s called having a sense of humor.. ;)

vai2112 on February 5, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Shriver is cranking.

novaculus on February 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Oh he’s cranking alright, and the lever he’s using is named Loretta Claiborne. The more he cranks, the more partisan and exploitative he looks.

Rush knows what he’s doing when he amplifies the democrats’ ugliness. And one of the side effects is to expose people like Shriver.

RushBaby on February 5, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Lets see here…..

1. I think this whole thread is special.

or

2. I think this whole thread is retarded.

Yup, I’ll go with 2.

dddave on February 5, 2010 at 6:41 PM

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Exhibit A . . .

Ingenue on February 5, 2010 at 6:41 PM

get it? It’s called having a sense of humor.. ;)

vai2112 on February 5, 2010 at 6:40 PM

No she doesn’t get it.

conservnut on February 5, 2010 at 6:42 PM

RushBaby on February 5, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Ditto :)

conservnut on February 5, 2010 at 6:43 PM

I don’t think you understand what the term “grow some skin”, you have it backwards.

tommer74 on February 5, 2010 at 6:38 PM

And it’s your prerogative to build straw men arguments and knock them down instead of responding to ours. Nobody here or in any other thread on this subject that I’ve participated in has argued that “insulting … those who cannot defend themselves” is appropriate.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:44 PM

stick to the topic

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:36 PM

STFU and go away.

You give a whole new meaning to “retard”.

Knucklehead on February 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM

I was sitting once in a meeting and a nutty advocate jumped all over an attendee for making a generalization about people with Down’s syndrome. (This is for retarded Ann, btw)
I was floored but understood, as a parent of an individual with Down’s syndrome how she could have outrage. BUT this retard thing is not about Rush or Rahm or Ann. Sorry. It is about the emotions and feelings of special needs parents. We really ought to leave it there and quit playing politics. Retard, tard, short busses and any other offensive terminology should be left out of politics but really there is no apology necessary except from Shriver who just drove this thing off a cliff.

ORconservative on February 5, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Knucklehead on February 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM

absolutely and it has nothing to do with developmental disability which really is the point.

ORconservative on February 5, 2010 at 6:48 PM

stick to the topic

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:36 PM
STFU and go away.

You give a whole new meaning to “retard”.

Knucklehead on February 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM

It’s like dealing with a parrot. Awwk stick to the topic.

BTW I find people who overfeed a helpless dog waaaay more offensive than un-PC speech.

katy the mean old lady on February 5, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Lets see here…..

1. I think this whole thread is special.

or

2. I think this whole thread is retarded.

Yup, I’ll go with 2.

dddave on February 5, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Actually I think this thread has Asperger’s Syndrome:
It keeps chattering on-oblivious to the fact that people have had enough of it and wish it would go away.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 5, 2010 at 6:50 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Both of them use the word retarded as a reference to the handicapped, comparing politicians to the handicapped to degrade them for their presumed stupidity. If the term was not intended to be pejorative, it wouldn’t have been used.

novaculus on February 5, 2010 at 6:52 PM

novaculus on February 5, 2010 at 6:52 PM

You’re wrong. I haven’t reviewed every single comment Rush made, but Rahm was not “use[ing] the word retarded as a reference to the handicapped”, he was referring to a group of liberal activists.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Meanwhile here’s Rush from today’s show:

So I soon saw The Politico story and the reaction to it, and, lo and behold, that’s exactly how The Politico reported it. If it’s a contest between Politico and Sarah Palin’s spokeswoman, I will believe Sarah Palin’s spokeswoman. No question about it.

Check out the graphic on his website, ROFL!

It’s amazing all the things you can miss when not listening to someone’s show, and yet find time to blog about it.

RedRedRice on February 5, 2010 at 6:56 PM

While I often tire of such PC crap I think Rush should have just stayed away.

CWforFreedom on February 5, 2010 at 6:57 PM

This PC crap is RETARDED; RETARDED!
Retarded, I say!

Cybergeezer on February 5, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Actually I think this thread has Asperger’s Syndrome:

annoyinglittletwerp on Februar

Oh, no… does that mean we can’t say asparagus anymore? :)

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 7:01 PM

stick to the topic

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Make me, ye who breaks into cooking and recipes and the need for exercise…

ladyingray on February 5, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Maybe we should just start giving diseases numbers instead of names. That way we can preserve the English language without offending anybody.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 7:03 PM

No, wait. That would only shift the burden onto the backs of mathematicians. And then phone books would be considered offensive and people would have to start changing their phont numbers…. what a mess.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 7:04 PM

“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” I guess this old childhood phrase is for people who have a thick skin.

Yes, words are hurtful, but it says more about the person saying the word than the word itself(and in what setting the word is used). Getting upset will only empower the person who said the word if it was offensive to you.

RedRobin145 on February 5, 2010 at 7:04 PM

It’s like dealing with a parrot. Awwk stick to the topic.
katy the mean old lady on February 5, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I think Ann’s issue is more like Tourette’s.

conservnut on February 5, 2010 at 7:05 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Stop being obtuse. He was speaking to liberal activist Dems, but the point is that he was degrading them with a term referring to the handicapped that was intended to be pejorative.

novaculus on February 5, 2010 at 7:08 PM

novaculus on February 5, 2010 at 7:08 PM

And I suppose “fire retardant” also refers to “the handicapped that was intended to be pejorative”?

You’re the one being obtuse. What about the term idiot? Is that taboo as well, being that it can refer to idiot-savants? Should we rename the movie “Psycho”, and bleep out the dialog as appropriate because it’s offensive to psychotic people? If your answer is no, you’re also a hypocrite.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 7:13 PM

RedRobin145 on February 5, 2010 at 7:04
As the resident autistic I said almost exactly what you just said- but in the first thread and I got jumped on for being insensitive.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 5, 2010 at 7:14 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Thanks for proving my point.

novaculus on February 5, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Thanks for proving my point.

novaculus on February 5, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I notice you didn’t answer my question, so thanks for proving mine.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 7:16 PM

It seems to me that Shriver should be asking Emanuel for an apology. Not Rush.

It also seems to me that this poll does not represent the real contention well, and the same for the last one.

Buckeye Babe on February 5, 2010 at 7:22 PM

What’s really retarded is that on some news stories, the talking head uses the word: “R-Word” instead of saying it!

BierManVA on February 5, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Is this a case of our politicians caving into Big Retard? There’s big oil, big tobacco, the military industrial complex, big green, big sugar…and now Big Retard.

LevStrauss on February 5, 2010 at 7:26 PM

blatantblue on February 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM
You lost the debate, now your just flopping around like fish out of water.
heh

Amadeus on February 5, 2010 at 5:48 PM

You’re an idiot..

lovingmyUSA on February 5, 2010 at 7:29 PM

I get a kick out of Rush, but he deliberately goes out of his way to make people mad…so why be surprised when they respond or say something? He had to know it might well happen that way.

Terrye on February 5, 2010 at 7:30 PM

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 6:55 PM

And what, on earth, do you think Rham meant when he referred to the liberal activists as F’ing retards? Do you think he meant they were acting like people trying to slow down the rate of a forest fire? Or do you think he was saying, “Hey, even though you all are presumeably average to above average in intelligence, you’re acting like people who are mentally challeneged.”

Or are you going to keep f’ing that chicken and pretend his comments had NOTHING to do with disparaging the mentally retarded?

DrAllecon on February 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM

This thread is an eye rape.

ProudPalinFan on February 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Stupid thinking.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM

I’ve seen this game you play too many times–and it’s all based on your “Stupid thinking”…

lovingmyUSA on February 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM

My mother had Dementia before she passed away and I am currently caring for my brother who is Paranoid Schizophrenic.

So everyone has to stop using the word demented, crazy, lunatic, schizo, psycho, scatterbrain, nuts (unless referring to food), paranoid, and/or any derivitive thereof.

Maybe we could establish a national list of forbidden words and a corp (not corpse) of PC police to enforce a kinder gentler world!!!

/sarcasm warning for the obtuse

sharrukin on February 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM

/sarcasm warning for the obtuse

sharrukin on February 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Won’t work, Ann to sympathize in 5…4….3…2…

conservnut on February 5, 2010 at 7:36 PM

DrAllecon on February 5, 2010 at 7:33 PM

The same thing he would have meant if he had called them “F’ing idiots”, which would be offensive to thin-skinned families with idiot-savants. Or “F’ing psychos”, which would be offensive to thin-skinned families of psychotic people or psychics. Or “F’ing geeks”, which would be offensive to thin-skinned circus performers. etc….

The answer is to grow some skin and consider context.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 7:38 PM

oohhh, this is getting good…

sweet92169 on February 5, 2010 at 7:39 PM

How about treating retarded people the same way you’d treat anyone else? The fact that people think they deserve special treatment is itself discriminatory.

Weber48IDA on February 5, 2010 at 7:42 PM

…And the families of technology nerds.

FloatingRock on February 5, 2010 at 7:43 PM

People should not demand an apology. If one is offered from a demand, it is meaningless. That’s why Emmanuel’s is meaningless. Furthermore, he made a joke out it when he ordered someone to remove the word from all government papers. Shriver probably didn’t hear all of Rush’s comments on either day and got a report from Media Matters or Huffpo.

Kissmygrits on February 5, 2010 at 7:45 PM