Video: Obama salutes Navy “corpse-man”

posted at 5:20 pm on February 4, 2010 by Allahpundit

A ticky-tack mistake, but then so was Bush’s pronunciation of “nuclear” and the left had fun with that. As always with this sort of gaffe, it resonates to the extent that it appears to confirm a suspicion about the person that uttered it. Bush was supposedly a dummy, ergo “nu-cu-lar” caught on; Martha Coakley was out of touch with voters, ergo the Curt Schilling thing had legs; The One is a dovish Ivory Tower egghead with no military background, ergo we’ve gotten half a dozen e-mails about this in the past few hours. Look on the bright side, though: At least he’s trying.

I can’t believe that a guy with a Harvard Law degree wouldn’t know how to pronounce “corps,” so I’m guessing some dumb staffer in charge of TOTUS decided to try to “help him out” by typing the phonetic pronunciation — incorrectly — into the machine. And in true Ron Burgundy fashion, O read it as is right off the ‘prompter. You stay classy, Navy corpse-men! Click the image to watch.

o-corps

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I want to see how David Brooks spins this. Wonder if he still admires the creaspe in Obama’s pants.

Erich66 on February 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM

HA!!!

ted c on February 5, 2010 at 6:20 AM

Corpse-man is how it is pronounced in Austrian.

HellCat on February 4, 2010 at 10:33 PM

the official language of Australia…

Ohhh my gut, it hurts!!! LOL

ted c on February 5, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Did Zero say he was from Illi-noise?

viking01 on February 5, 2010 at 12:17 AM
Why, yes, just last Wed-ness-day.

Shy Guy on February 5, 2010 at 1:24 AM

+2 LOL!

ted c on February 5, 2010 at 6:25 AM

We have a nation of idiots who elected the chief idiot to lead the group. I guess a Rosie O’Donell was right, if Bush could get a degree from Harvard, anyone can get a degree at Harvard!

flytier on February 5, 2010 at 6:31 AM

Puh-leeze! Don’t blame the puppet master with speculation they E’ffed up a phonetic spelling of Corpsman. They most likely spelled it properly in President Burgundy’s teleprompter. This guy has no real world experience, so he pronounced it the way he thought it should be pronounced. The big question is, “Will Jon Stewart, Jay Leno, David Letterman, and SNL make hay with this?” (Don’t hold your breath)

olesparkie on February 5, 2010 at 7:06 AM

And was the salute a finger stuck in his nose?

Cybergeezer on February 5, 2010 at 8:34 AM

Even tho I was “warned”, I almost spit my coffee. I knew it was gonna be a good one so I watched away and on the side of the notebook. Geesh! Keep-a-materials comin’, you’ll get your Obama-isms calendar for 2011 I bet!

ProudPalinFan on February 5, 2010 at 8:40 AM

He said it TWICE. Apparently the nervous laughter after the first mispronunciation wasn’t enough to get him thinking…

hawksruleva on February 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

What an effing retard!

SicSemperTyrannus on February 5, 2010 at 9:05 AM

He said it TWICE.

And that tells me it wasn’t just a slip of the tongue. He should cease and “deceased.”

miron on February 5, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Corpse-man? I don’t know if I was injured and blleding I would shout for a corpse-man. Just sayin.

txaggie on February 5, 2010 at 9:31 AM

I certainly wouldn’t ask for one if I was bleeding either. Way to early in the morning.

txaggie on February 5, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Well it just goes to show … the only “transparent” thing for Obama is his tele-promtor.

kregg on February 5, 2010 at 10:00 AM

O…… What a maroon, always good for a laugh, or three……… Thanks 52……

t on February 5, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Barry was just giving a shout out to some of his most loyal voters.

One corpse – one vote. It’s the Chicago way!

NoDonkey on February 5, 2010 at 10:57 AM

He’s a ghoul. An incompetent, wretched ghoul.
Lourdes on February 5, 2010 at 2:55 AM

Satisyingly worded, and maybe all we need to know.

rrpjr on February 5, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Is it just me or is Obama the Ron Burgandy of politicians? I was in the Navy btw. He could have gotten away with sailor, squid, etc.

saltydogg14 on February 5, 2010 at 11:22 AM

The only corpse-man I know of is Larry King.

Travis Bickle on February 5, 2010 at 11:30 AM

I think if you wrote anything on that teleprompter, he will read it.

jaboba on February 5, 2010 at 11:32 AM

TOTUS disgusted

justltl on February 5, 2010 at 12:03 PM

It just keeps rolling over and over in my mind that – to the Lefties – Bush’s pronunciation of “nukular” was absolute “proof” he was a blithering idiot.

PJ Emeritus on February 5, 2010 at 1:01 PM

20 years in the Navy, I’ve heard lots of gaffes from people who have no clue about the military. I’m just amazed that NO ONE in the WH, some protocol person or *someone*, caught this one before it went out. Stunning.

Dave in San Diego on February 5, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Dave in San Diego on February 5, 2010 at 1:15 PM

The White House gathered it’s entire span of knowledgel knowledge of the US Military from Michael Moore films, what do you expect?

NoDonkey on February 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM

PJ Emeritus on February 5, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Exactly.

I didn’t vote for Bush, never was a fan. But that junky stuff turned me off.

Ditto on the other side about Obama.

or Palin, for that matter.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 2:16 PM

PJ Emeritus on February 5, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Exactly.

I didn’t vote for Bush, never was a fan. But that junky stuff turned me off.

Ditto on the other side about Obama.

or Palin, for that matter.

Staying above the fray is a fool’s game. If they can’t take it, then the Libs should have never dished it out.

He’s not immune from criticism and ridicule even though Libs believe he is.

All is fair.

eanax on February 5, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Help me out here, how does the pronunciation differ between “corpsman” and “corpseman”?

AlexB on February 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Fuck you, San Diego

Froggy on February 5, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I needed a good laugh!

DanaSmiles on February 5, 2010 at 3:15 PM

does anybody here think that he should appologize for that? I mean, seriously, it’s not simply that Mr Harvard educated can’t pronnounce his a*** from his elbow, it’s more about the fact that he offended a category of professionals that ironically enough he directly presides over…. It’s a minimum of courtesy (especially on the part of a president) to make sure that before you get out there and talk about stuff that you have no clue about anyways (military that is), you do your homework at least, you browse through a phonetics book or so if in doubt, and make sure you don’t mispronnounce something like that and publicly offend a whole category of people with your crasse ignorance. And if you’re too lazy to do jut that, then at least make an appology! Especially that the pronnounciation gaffe involved a pretty macabre association :-(

jimver on February 5, 2010 at 3:17 PM

I guess Obama never watched a war movie as a kid. I new what a corpsman was by age 6.

What a Commander in Chief….Doesn’t even know the difference between a corpsman and a corpseman.

This guy is a dangerous joke.

saiga on February 5, 2010 at 3:28 PM

AlexB on February 5, 2010 at

Seriously? Okay.

Corps pronounced “core“; plural spelled the same as singular

Corpse pronounced “kôrps

Core and kôrps don’t sound the same, not even close.

You do know Corpse means a “dead body”, yes?

DSchoen on February 5, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Would love to see light-thinker take a shot at my former rating….. Aerographer’s Mate
The Ugly American on February 4, 2010

How bout the difference tween a Navy Fireman and a Civilian Fireman!

DSchoen on February 5, 2010 at 3:46 PM

It just proves what we all know he can’t think on his feet. He must be led to water. This is what happens when one lacks real world work experience!

xler8bmw on February 5, 2010 at 4:02 PM

He can’t and won’t correct this. It is how he and First Worf really feel. Look at them when they are supposed to be honoring a fallen soldier–she dresses like she’s going to a party and smiles inappropriately. He never gets it. They want oath-upholding U.S. military out of the way–by any means necessary.

Ay Uaxe on February 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Hussein’s Iraqi weapon of mass destruction unearthed, buried and hidden since the 2003 US/British invasion.

maverick muse on February 5, 2010 at 4:55 PM

How stupid is he to not know the correct pronunciation?

“Marine Corpse” – as CINC he has to use this term, doesn’t he?

“Peace Corpse” – did we actually find a liberal who can’t pronounce this?

“Salvation Army Corpse” – does he know anything about charity? I thought he was a community organizer?

“U.S. Army Corpse Of Engineers” – he complains about the New Orleans response during Katrina – and all of the Democrats blame the canal breaks on the COE – has he ever talked to them?

“AmeriCorpse” – are you serious? He doesn’t know how to pronounce Bill Clinton’s pearl of social change?

“Job Corpse” – what? Hell that’s a part of the Department of Labor!!

“National Health Service Corpse” – another part of HIS government.

“Democracy Corpse” – are you serious? He can’t pronounce James Carville’s new gig?

CORPS – is NOT an obscure word and you’d think that the man with the “highest IQ of any president” … living or dead – would know how to say it.

HondaV65 on February 5, 2010 at 5:03 PM

…that junky stuff turned me off.

Ditto on the other side about Obama.

or Palin, for that matter.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Well AnninCA, isthmus be your lucky day. Other than a few minor blogs and some AM radio stations, no mention of smartest-president-evah Obama’s flubs will be mentioned on any of the big three news agencies, SNL/any other major satirical comedy show, or any big-city newspaper. Weird how that works, really.

rogerb on February 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Affirmative action Uber-munchkin strikes again.

T J Green on February 5, 2010 at 6:28 PM

saying “nuk-uler” instead of nuclear is a matter of dialect, say corpseman is a matter of ignorance.

Yep, that boy is “ig-nert” as the day is long.

TheSitRep on February 5, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Some Commander in Chief…The Marines and their Navy “docs” will be laughing about this for decades…Obama is a disgrace.

Nozzle on February 5, 2010 at 8:22 PM

You gotta admit, he pronounces the hell out of “Pakistan”.

Dork B. on February 5, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Obama just mispronounced a word that I bet many people would mispronounce.

Palin Steele on February 4, 2010 at 5:45 PM

So “many people” will refer to the Marine Corpse instead of the Marine Corps as a generic term for the Marines?

Have you heard anyone make that mistake? Much less “many people”?

On the other hand, I’ve been calling him the Precedent more and more lately instead of President. Also a minor mistake, or offensive on my part and disrespectful?

Mine is a considerably less noticeable shift in pronunciation, so I assume it’s all good now to refer to Obama the Precedent, yes?

gekkobear on February 5, 2010 at 10:00 PM

I knew how to pronounce the word when I was just a wee lad.
Not a wee-wee lad, mind you. This individual’s towering ignorance is nearly on a par with his galloping studidity. It’s a very nice reflection of his base. You know, all of those intellectually superior beings that schooled him. I didn’t say educated. Utterly preposterous performance every time he opens his arugula hole.

LarryG on February 5, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I am fortunate to work with a former US Navy corpsman. Needless to say, when he saw the clip of the our fumbling bumbling Kenyan Communist Muslim “President” mispronouncing corpsman TWICE, he was not amused. He served in Vietnam, saving the lives of wounded US Marines.

CatchAll on February 6, 2010 at 10:59 PM