The obligatory “NBC offers racist lunch menu or something” post

posted at 7:16 pm on February 4, 2010 by Allahpundit

Go look at the photo of the full menu at Mediaite. I’ve only eaten soul food a few times but (a) I’m pretty sure that those are all soul food staples, (b) last I checked, soul food was part of black culture, and (c) it is, after all, Black History Month. So the chef decided to serve a soul food meal, but instead of picking something like ribs as the main course, she picked the one entree that’s associated with racist stereotypes. Result: Menu quickly removed and chef, I guess, now deemed a racist. Wonderful.

Via TheGrio.com, here’s a short interview with Leslie Calhoun, the obviously racist/white supremacist chef; like the boss says, if you think the uproar is absurd now, imagine if Calhoun was cooking for Fox News. Quote: “It’s not trying to offend anybody and it’s not trying to suggest that that’s all that African-Americans eat. It’s just a good meal.” Exit question: Does this mean the soul food episode of my favorite show on television is also racist?

Comments

Should’ve gone with catfish. We’ve a few soul restaurants down in Austin, and both I’ve been to make some damned tasty catfish. The green beans stewed with onion and fat hunks of pork aren’t bad, either (though not exactly hal’al!).

Blacklake on February 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM

That would also be a WHITE Southerner menu as well. (White Southerner speaking here. :) )

Lady Heather on February 5, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Poor Southern menu = soul food

Poor Northern menu = scrapple

Roc on February 5, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Manufactured outrage much? Most military dining facilities have a menu like this every week. It’s called “Soul food [insert day of the week].”

No one gets offended, and in some chow halls it’s the best meal of the week. It’s almost always the most popular. And I consider the Army just about the most frighteningly PC organizations under the sun.

Sgt Steve on February 5, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Could someone PLEASE post instructions for making excellent fried chicken?

RushBaby on February 5, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Soak the pieces in buttermilk all night long.
Coat in your favorite spice.
Then coat in pure flour.
Fry in shoretning for about 12 minutes on each side.
Drain on a rack-not paper towels.
Keep in a paper sack.
Mmmmmm mmmm mmm!

Badger40 on February 5, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Poor Northern menu = scrapple

Roc on February 5, 2010 at 1:15 PM

So nasty.

Badger40 on February 5, 2010 at 1:24 PM

I just got moderated for using the CORRECT TERM FOR A CERTAIN RACE who has dark skin and originated in a continent south of Europe.

Lourdes on February 5, 2010 at 2:35 AM

Join the moderation club.

Badger40 on February 5, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Badger40 on February 5, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Thank you!!

RushBaby on February 5, 2010 at 1:29 PM

RushBaby on February 5, 2010 at 1:29 PM

You’re welcome!
And powdered buttermilk works great.

Badger40 on February 5, 2010 at 1:38 PM

So I guess no chicken parmasan or lasagna on Columbus Day, either, huh?

LOL — this is ridiculous.

NoLeftTurn on February 5, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Here’s my heart-healthy recipe.

Dip your chicken in yogurt, then in Panko crumbs with seasoning. Then cook in 2 tblsp. of Olive Oil. When brown, move to the oven. Cook at 350 for 20 more minutes.

It’s crunchy good, but not something your doc will frown about.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Poor Northern menu = scrapple

Roc on February 5, 2010 at 1:15 PM

What really is scrapple?

I was poor in my early 20’s, raising a baby on my own. I learned to make potatoe soup, mac and cheese, and I LOVE beans cooked to that perfect mush state to this day.

I love expensive foods, too. But if I’m honest? Most of my real “poor” food dishes please me just as much.

Scrapple sounds interesting. What is it?

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Kale….cook with seasoning, then drain, and recook. That takes the bitterness out.

It’s a bit of a pain, but worth it.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Where’s the watermelon?

BottomLine5 on February 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Blacklake on February 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Amazing how catfish has a bad rep, huh? I grew up on it.

It remains one of my own faves.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Where’s the watermelon?

BottomLine5 on February 5, 2010 at 2:10 PM

It is winter. All you’ll see is that whitish stuff and flavorless.

*blech*

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Scrapple sounds interesting. What is it?

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Take a whole hog’s head & boil off all the meat.
Then use the meat + some of the jelly stuff to mold it together after maybe a little seasoning.
Chill.
Then slice & fry.
Mmmm mmmm mmmm….

Badger40 on February 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Yeah, you actually do have the rules down pat. :)

No watermelon festivals during Black History month. And avoid fried chicken jokes.

AnninCA on February 5, 2010 at 12:03 PM

–You could open it up to all melons.

Jimbo3 on February 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Then slice & fry.
Mmmm mmmm mmmm….

Badger40 on February 5, 2010 at 2:23 PM

We called that souse, some folks called it head cheese. I love it, but I’d only eat it if we made it ourselves or if I knew the people who made it really well.

Oldnuke on February 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I find it strange that getting drunk on St. Patrick’s Day is cool as well as getting drunk and eating Mexican food on Cinco de Mayo is cool. (I would have added eating Irish food on St. Patty’s Day, but Irish food sucks). But eating fried chicken and collard greens one day during the entire Black History month is racist. Where are all the white elitists who want to tell us we’re racist for getting drunk and eating Mexican food?

j_galt on February 5, 2010 at 12:19 PM

–Shepherd’s pie is usually pretty good for Irish food. The standard Irish/UK hearty breakfast is also pretty decent. But you have a point: Add Southern Comfort to this menu. Then it would be “Southern” and all the elitists will be drunk and won’t complain.

Jimbo3 on February 5, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Pork rinds and Colt.45

joe btfsplk on February 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I’m a cracker ass cracker and I love Fried Chicken.

Control of the language folks. That’s all this is about.

Don’t let them do it. Resist at every turn.

russcote on February 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Don’t let them do it. Resist at every turn.

russcote on February 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM

But if you wanna stay on HA, you gotta let it happen sometimes.
Or you get moderated.

Pork rinds and Colt.45

joe btfsplk on February 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Bringing back memories of working in a C-store in downtown San Antonio.
I never saw a white guy buy that stuff.

Badger40 on February 5, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Must be painful to think in those ever tightening (PC) circles all the time…

RalphyBoy on February 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Scrapple is made from the left-over parts of a hog after it’s butchered. Everything form “the rooter to the tooter,” – snout/head, brains, heart, liver, etc. It’s boiled down, mixed with flour and cornmeal, then fried in a pan. It’s quite disgusting, but so are pickled pigs feet…

Roc on February 5, 2010 at 4:16 PM

But if you wanna stay on HA, you gotta let it happen sometimes.
Or you get moderated.

What the hell does that mean? Was that directed at me or HA?

HA can moderate whatever they like; it’s their site.

As for me, I have my own which I choose to keep unregulated. I do not, nor should I, have any say in what or how HA chooses to regulate their site.

And on the street every day, I for one have made a pledge to myself to fight back at every turn, regardless of where I happen to hear a given lie.

Anyway, not sure what you meant by that so I thought I’d ask.

russcote on February 5, 2010 at 4:37 PM

corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick’s Day?

Queen0fCups on February 5, 2010 at 4:50 PM

What the hell does that mean? Was that directed at me or HA?

HA can moderate whatever they like; it’s their site.

Anyway, not sure what you meant by that so I thought I’d ask.

russcote on February 5, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I think you’re being a little thin-skinned here.
I was moderated for making an innocent comment recently & I was just making light of that possibility here bcs it happens sometimes to us here at HA.
Sorta like thought police. But, yes, HA can do whatever they please bcs they are judged by what they let get posted.
I wasn’t attacking you or criticizing you at all.
Please take a chill pill.

Badger40 on February 5, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Dude. Soul food/country cooking is awesome. Yes, black people like soul food. White people like soul food. It’s good food.

Calm down. Bunch of bed-wetting retards.

spmat on February 5, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Badger40 on February 5, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Badger I didn’t even realize it was you. You know me, I’ve been here for years. I’m not really worried about getting banned.

HA can tell the difference between you and me and the wingnut trolls who come in to start a fight and smear MM.

My bad for jumping on you though. No harm intended. I’ll read the name first next time before I requote.

And trust me, I have the thickest skin you can possibly imagine. I’m from Jersey. We’re not offended by anything.

russcote on February 5, 2010 at 5:06 PM

russcote on February 5, 2010 at 5:06 PM

So I can lovingly call you a retard? ;)

Badger40 on February 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM

So I can lovingly call you a retard? ;)

Badger40 on February 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Hello old friend, I’m back… And you can call me anything also, but I prefer The Internet Warrior.

rofl

Mark Garnett on February 5, 2010 at 7:19 PM

I’m going to cook Cajun on Sunday! Geaux Saints!

(I really miss living on the Gulf Coast and eating seafood gumbo–the Nawlins’ kind. Cannot find any Cajun restaurants here in upper South Carolina. Waaaaa! :) )

Lady Heather on February 5, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Fried chicken, collards and corn bread. Mmm,mmm,mmm. Just like my grandma used to make. Don’t forget the fried okra and hoppin john. Carolina pulled pork, too.

chris999 on February 5, 2010 at 8:15 PM

All this talk about what’s on the menu. My wife and I have decided to celebrate BHM, and indulge ourselves in the faire as well.

Yum!

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 8:28 PM

corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick’s Day?

Queen0fCups on February 5, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I nominate this as a candidate for the ban hammer!/s

Saltysam on February 5, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I’ve been eating fried chicken, pork chops, steaks, gizzard, frog legs, catfish,
Regular and fried cornbread, grits, mush, black eyed peas, collards , polk salat etc all my life and I am as white as they come.

I think it is all just funny.

TheSitRep on February 5, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I’m late to this party… Did Fuzzy Zoeller comment yet?

Khun Joe on February 5, 2010 at 9:39 PM

At west point in the 80’s we had Henry O Flipper night to remember the first black graduate. They served a similar menu. It was discontinued by a group of cadet called “the current affairs forum” I think that was the name, who decried it as racist.

Which pissed off a lot of cadets because it was one of our favorite meals.

tlynch001 on February 5, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Lady Heather on February 5, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Oddly enough, Milady, you’re not the only one to have that impression…

warbaby on February 6, 2010 at 1:15 AM

How f****** retarded is that? I really get tired of all the PC whining on both sides. The lady put up a true mouth- watering soul food menu, and it becomes a hate crime? That is ludicrous. This is not an anti-black thing (obviously), and Rahm is not some hate-filled basher of the mentally challenged. (hopefully)

Southernblogger on February 6, 2010 at 2:13 AM

Roc on February 5, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Ok Roc Where is your favorite cheese steak, I luv Phil’s

phillyrepub on February 6, 2010 at 4:32 AM

NBC (nothing but crap)Cafeteria. Only if your desperate.

diogenes on February 6, 2010 at 7:35 AM

What is going to happen to Tyson Foods (remember Laura Tyson, and Sec. of Agriculture Epsy) when fried chicken is not allowed on a menu because it is racist?

MSGTAS on February 6, 2010 at 9:32 AM

They should have used this statue:

uptight on February 6, 2010 at 4:33 PM

At first I thought “Oh no… they included watermelon.” Then I saw that there was no watermelon (I love watermelon, btw). Then I thought “Ahhh. It must be the BLACK Beans and WHITE rice.” Then I watched the clip….These people are in a huff over FRIED CHICKEN? That’s what every proud southerner (black or white) eats.

Rightwingguy on February 7, 2010 at 12:33 AM