Ramirez on the blame (Bush) game

posted at 2:06 pm on February 4, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

State of the Union speeches generally don’t stick to a single theme, but operate as laundry lists for presidents to present to Congress.  This year’s SOTU did have a theme running through it, though, and it was that Barack Obama took credit for everything that went right — which was not much — and blamed George W. Bush for everything that went wrong.  In fact, that’s been one of the themes of the entire Obama presidency.  Investors Business Daily’s Michael Ramirez puts his Pulitzer Prize-winning talent into describing the Barack Obama One-Step Program for Blameshifting:

Anyone who puts together a $3.8 trillion budget, almost a trillion dollars more than any budget his predecessor signed, owns the overspending championship.

Ramirez has a terrific collection of his works: Everyone Has the Right to My Opinion, which covers the entire breadth of Ramirez’ career, and it gives a fascinating look at political history.  Read my review here, and watch my interviews with Ramirez here and here.  And don’t forget to check out the entire Investors.com site, which has now incorporated all of the former IBD Editorials, while individual investors still exist.

Comments

Ramirez is brilliant.

OmahaConservative on February 4, 2010 at 2:08 PM

LMAO

BKeyser on February 4, 2010 at 2:11 PM

BO opens his mouth & all I hear is, you are too dumb to understand my brilliance, BOOOOOSH did it, & mememememememem.

Badger40 on February 4, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Absolutely true.

Terrye on February 4, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Me likey. :)

ladyingray on February 4, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Pulitzer prize?

trapeze on February 4, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Stock market diving to 10,000….debt ceiling increased…BUSH’S FAULT.

NJ Red on February 4, 2010 at 2:19 PM

And, in fact, the things that Zero claimed credit for were pretty much fantasy. Like his assertion that Porkulus actually accomplished anything.

UltimateBob on February 4, 2010 at 2:20 PM

If you think the demonization of GWB was is bad wait until the next Republican presidential candidate is painted as a birther or worse. Obama has already started using this bullet point. The rest is coming.

In some ways Palin’s digs at Rahm Emanuel give Dems a taste of their own medicine. But I know that they are way better at this game though. It’s only going to get uglier.

The Race Card on February 4, 2010 at 2:21 PM

One step? I guess you could say he’s doing the old two step…

Tonus on February 4, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Gotta love the reaction of lady Liberty!

Question is, will the far-left national socialist wingbats of the democrat party get this?

Chainsaw56 on February 4, 2010 at 2:22 PM

I forgot if a laughed or cried this morning when I saw that. This situation s*cks!

WashJeff on February 4, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Reminds me of the Dictator who oppresses his own people…

When the people cry out,

“Why do you oppress us?”

The Dictator says,

“I am not, it is the Devil, I love you, you are MY people!”

Then the people cry out,

“Who is the Devil?”

The Dictator says,

“It is the United States of America!”

Then the people cry out,

“We HATE the United States of America, Dear Dictator, we Love you!”

Then the Dictator says,

“I love you too, now get back to work!”

Obowma was taught this lesson, and it is at the core of his ideological beliefs…

Seven Percent Solution on February 4, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Love the look on the Statue of Liberty’s face!

gator70 on February 4, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Victory Over Victim Demagogues

By Rick Pearcey
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
As columnist Ralph Peters sees it, Barack Obama’s former pastor Jeremiah Wright “is only one of many demagogues in all races and creeds who foster cults of victimization around the globe.”

The demagogue succeeds by shifting blame: “Your failures aren’t your fault — it’s all their fault. Whitey’s to blame, or people of color, or the Jews (those Elders of Zion sure do stay busy) or black helicopters from the UN. It’s a formula for the perpetuation of failure.”

The solution? “Fortunately for us,” says Peters, “this paralyzing cult of victimhood is the antithesis of the ethic that allowed the United States to achieve the quality of life the vast majority of us enjoy today. What built our country was the get-up-off-your-butt belief that God, by any name, helps those who help themselves” (italics added).

ted c on February 4, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Ramierez deserves mucho kudo’s for that one!!

Found another Conservative friendly place……

RealMc on February 4, 2010 at 2:30 PM

On Drudge right now: “Cartoonist Michael Ramirez Victim of SUV Hit and Run”

Bishop on February 4, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Hi, Barack!

mwbri on February 4, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Barry can whine all he wants but I remember when people who were fiscally sane were appalled that W signed off on 2 trillion dollar budget.
Ah, those were the days- about 2 years ago.

jjshaka on February 4, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I get it now; Bush is sneaking into Barracks bedroom and whispering policy into his ear every night. Michelle must be helping Bush get in.
Simple!

Cybergeezer on February 4, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Anybody else notice the look on Lady Liberty’s face? Ramirez is a genius.

TXUS on February 4, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Taking credit for successes and blaming whitey for failures.

Is that Affirmative Action or what?

jukin on February 4, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Obama could be alone in an elevator, fart, and still manage to blame it on Bush.

Daggett on February 4, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Chainsaw56 on February 4, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Those on the far left won’t get it. They can’t admit to themselves that their policies aren’t perfect. Combine that with problems big enough that even the river Nile can’t hide them and they have to come up with some reason for their failures.

It is obvious to them that it must be someone on the right, because we all know that the far leftists are the only “reality-based” thinkers in the country, and those on the right are delusional and mentally unstable. (I really don’t need a sarc tag here, do I?) So in their tiny minds, we on the right must be the cause of every problem in the world. And since the Evil Darth Bush has been their bugbear for a decade, and since every single conservative and/or republican agrees with everything Bush ever did, how could they ever use anyone else as their scapegoat?

LibraryGryffon on February 4, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Understanding the Holocaust

At least five motives can be assigned to the Nazis and their confederates for initiating and conducting the Holocaust:

1.Generating “enmity” to gain and retain power — a non-democratic political technique of consolidating the in-group by stimulating hatred against the out-group.
2. Delivering on electoral campaign promises — punish the Jews for alleged “plots” and “conspiracies” against Germany.
3. Shifting blame for incredibly costly policy blunders — excuses for political and military mismanagement (like losing World War I; starting World War II).
4. Weakening of Christianity (for opposing extreme totalitarian measures and presumably impairing military effectiveness) — by annihilating its biblical roots.
5. Greed – looting the possessions and profiting from the forced labor of the victims.

I cast no aspersions whatsoever and draw no further conclusions other than this list resembles what is going on right now esp. 1,2,3,5. I found this at> http://www.hpn.org/publications/holocaust.html

ted c on February 4, 2010 at 2:48 PM

I can say without a doubt I was in better shape during W’s administration then our current president. I wonder when other voters realize the same thing.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Perfect!

Buy Danish on February 4, 2010 at 2:52 PM

LibraryGryffon on February 4, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Aside from Sarah Palin, you’ve got a point there.

Chainsaw56 on February 4, 2010 at 2:55 PM

oh, and speaking of gazillion trillion dollar budgets, this column by Dick Morris is very good (and even easy enough for someone in Rio Linda to comprehend). I know Morris can be a blowhard, but this is worth reading…

Buy Danish on February 4, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Is this a meeting of the summit that is going to help Rambo out?

mwbri on February 4, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Man, I love Ramirez’ work, lol.

Midas on February 4, 2010 at 3:01 PM

ReTARPs.

profitsbeard on February 4, 2010 at 3:02 PM

We need a concerted effort to make the meme “President Toonces” stick to the current occupant of the White House.

Old Fritz on February 4, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Is there anyway for us to line item veto that budget?

petunia on February 4, 2010 at 3:33 PM

The Race Card on February 4, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Problem is, the Republican voters will be intelligent enough to know that their candidate is not a birther. And they will know that it’s the opposition desperately trying to paint that candidate as such.

70 percent of high school dropouts didn’t vote for the evil Republican in 2008, they voted for the guy who got put an immediate end to the whole birther thing by simply producing the document.

Del Dolemonte on February 4, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Ramirez is great, I love his work.

Hey, I wonder if he’s ever published a collection of his works? Could you look into that for us, Ed?

JohnInCA on February 4, 2010 at 3:59 PM

I laughed out loud when I saw that.

Gotta love the reaction of lady Liberty!

Chainsaw56 on February 4, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Thanks, I laughed again when I went back to look at her face, I had missed it in the first viewing.

Jvette on February 4, 2010 at 5:19 PM

The posters here are so funny.

thanks, this made my day.

Jvette on February 4, 2010 at 5:19 PM

“The Buck stopped with Bush”.

olesparkie on February 5, 2010 at 7:46 AM