Prayers for Jim Treacher; Update: State Dept, not Secret Service

posted at 10:00 am on February 4, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Jim’s a great friend to Hot Air and conservatives everywhere, and in his new gig at the Daily Caller, has a good stage for his biting humor and political insight.  We may have to wait a while for Jim to regale us as he was the victim of a hit-and-run accident last night.  Jim’s knee is broken and remains hospitalized, as Jim himself reports from his bed:

Sometime between 7 and 7:30, not long after I got home from work, I walked to the CVS on 22nd and M to get some bread, milk, and a SmartTrip card. I was right across the street from the CVS, and I waited for the crosswalk light to tell me to go before I crossed. I had plenty of time left, according to the countdown clock. I was more than halfway there when a black SUV made an illegal left turn and hit me head-on. I absolutely had the right of way. I yelled something like, “Are you really doing this?” as it hit me before I could move. I landed on my face on the street and smashed my glasses and scraped my hand and immediately I knew something was wrong with my left knee. I lay there screaming and cursing for I don’t know how long, and a crowd of people gathered and told me to hold still.

According to some witnesses, including apparently the DC police, the SUV may have belonged to the Secret Service:

One last thing: I’m told by multiple people that the SUV that hit me was Secret Service. If this is true, I want to know why that happened. I was crossing legally, and they just left me there. At the very least, I want an apology. What happened to me was wrong.

Any hit and run is illegal, and serious injury moves it up to a felony in most jurisdictions.  The police will have to investigate to see who owned the vehicle, and Jim may get his apology — and the driver a big legal bill and possibly some jail time.  Hopefully, we’ll get a better picture of who hit Jim and why in the very near future.

In the meantime, our prayers for a speedy recovery go out to Jim.

Update: I misread Jim’s post the first time through; he’s no longer in the hospital.  However, the police added insult to injury by issuing Jim a citation for jaywalking, which Tucker Carlson tells me is “completely false and made up.” Tucker also talked to the driver today, who refused to discuss his employer.  Keep an eye on the Daily Caller — this story has gotten stranger and may get stranger still.

Update II: The Daily Caller reports that the SUV was driven by an employee in the State Department’s security apparatus, and not by the Secret Service, as had been suggested at first by The DC.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Wait, I thought the pedestrian has the right-a-way, and isn’t leaving a scene after running someone down a crime? Why is this person not arrested?

Get better Mister Treacher, once you find out who this person is, you can call him Rahm Emanuel’s pet name for Obama, a f*****g retard.

nwpammy on February 4, 2010 at 5:06 PM

What was the basis of the jaywalking citation? A witness? Also, how was the driver who fled the scene identified? On the limited amount of info available, it all sounds very odd.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Jim.

Infidoll on February 4, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Nice blog you have there Mr. Teacher…

… it would be a shame if anything happened to it.

When you get back to work, ask for a raise!

Get well soon…

Seven Percent Solution on February 4, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Is the State Dept also immune from lawsuits? Send Treacher an ambulance chaser!

Shay on February 4, 2010 at 3:43 PM

nope, needs a lot better than a TV lawyer.
Google Gogglaw.com THE BEST!.

Speedy recovery Jim! Prayng for you.

katy the mean old lady on February 4, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Jim Hoft posted the news this morning at Gateway Pundit. Best wishes for a speedy recovery from a horrible injury.

So Hillary’s State Dept. performed the hit and run on Jim Treacher. Jesus, help. Having the Clinton goon squad on your tail is no frolic in the park. Ask the Branch Davidians amongst so many others the Clintons wiped out. Would a blogging conservative attorney contact Treacher with pro bono advice? We can’t stand by while our friends are literally targeted to be run over, taken out of commission by government thug terrorists. Had it been a freak accident, the driver would have stopped to render aid and called an ambulance.

The news of Google/NSA merging is bad news indeed.

Privacy advocates, concerned about a repeat of the NSA’s warrantless interception of Americans’ phone calls and e-mails after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, say information-sharing must be limited and closely overseen.

Note well that Obama, in office over a year now, has NOT FILLED THE APPOINTED POSITION that Congress created in 2004 and is funding still to provide a sort of ombudsman for the citizenry to oversee the cybersecurity agencies that Obama has determined to empower directors with the autonomy of a Czar via executive order.

maverick muse on February 4, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Sounds like Jack Bauer is up to his old tricks.

No, Bauer wouldn’t pull a hit and run unless the safety of the free world was at stake.

Wait, there is no more free world?

WTF?

Godspeed, Mr Treacher. You’re clearly one of the “Good Guys”!

Sweet_Thang on February 4, 2010 at 5:16 PM

nwpammy on February 4, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Jim was knocked out of the street, so they were going to cite him for leaving the scene of the accident….

right2bright on February 4, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Oh the headline made my heart drop!
Glad he is out of the hospital!
I hope he has a full and speedy recovery.
I would suggest even suing but the goberment is broke!~
God Speed Jim/Sean!

Czarina on February 4, 2010 at 5:51 PM

“Nice knees, Treach… It’s be a shame if anything happened to them…” sent via “Muscle O”.

I shall not cease praying for you and this country.

CynicalOptimist on February 4, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Tucker has another update on the story, specifically about the story and the answers the Caller is getting: Here.

Spirit of 1776 on February 4, 2010 at 5:58 PM

This is a scandal. Lawyer up Jim!

WisCon on February 4, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Something doesn’t make sense…

Part of the article says

McGuinn, meanwhile, called The Daily Caller’s offices from the scene to tell Medlock’s colleagues about the incident. But he did not identify himself to them or to Medlock.”

If he drove away, how did he know where Jim worked?

docjohn52 on February 4, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Spirit of 1776 on February 4, 2010 at 5:58 PM

This is infuriating. Sounds like the guy who ran into him knew who he was, since he called Treacher’s place of work to tell them.

There is no excuse for this kind of jerkiness. This needs to be broadcast all over. Just one more example of how crooked our government is.

justincase on February 4, 2010 at 6:30 PM

ProudPalinFan on February 4, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Any chance you could find that for me? That could help a lot.

Also, did anybody here ever ask to see microfilm of the Honolulu Advertiser for Aug 16, 1961 last year?

justincase on February 4, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Let me fetch it again; I don’t remember the other part, but if I am lucky it is on the same website. Will go ghost now ;)

ProudPalinFan on February 4, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Justincase,

This is a mention of the microfilm issue; hope it helps.

As for the theory that Obama’s original birth certificate might show he was foreign-born, Okubo said the “Certification of Live Birth” would say so. Obama’s does not. Again, it says he was born in Honolulu.

We have one more thing. We talked to reporter Will Hoover, who wrote a well-researched story for the Honolulu Advertiser on Nov. 9, 2008, about Obama’s childhood years in the the Aloha State. It ran under the headline “Obama Slept Here.”

In researching the story, he went to the microfilm archives and found the birth announcement for Obama. Actually, he found two of them, one in his Honululu Advertiser on Aug. 13 , 1961, and in the Honolulu Star-Bulletin the next day . They both said the same thing: “Mr. and Mrs. Barack H. Obama, 6085 Kalanianaole Highway, son, Aug. 4.”

But here’s the thing. Newspaper officials he checked with confirmed those notices came from the state Department of Health.

“That’s not the kind of stuff a family member calls in and says, ‘Hey, can you put this in?’” Hoover explained.

Take a second and think about that. In order to phony those notices up, it would have required the complicity of the state Health Department and two independent newspapers — on the off chance this unnamed child might want to one day be president of the United States.

In Honolulu, the Obama tour buses take you by the old Kapiolani Maternity and Gynecological Hospital, now called Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women & Children. Federal laws prohibit hospital officials from confirming that he was born there, but Hoover said it’s common knowledge among locals.

ProudPalinFan on February 4, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Justincase,

Here’s one from a woman 10 years later:

ps: I don’t mean to hijack the thread…thanks! PPF

ProudPalinFan on February 4, 2010 at 6:40 PM

ProudPalinFan on February 4, 2010 at 6:37 PM

It may soon be time to give those newspaper officials a phone call.

There is more to this story than meets the eye. But hopefully it will soon meet the eye.

Do you remember any old (2009 or earlier) stories about somebody checking for the Nordyke announcements in either paper’s microfilm?

justincase on February 4, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Get Well Soon Treacher. You are doing a excellent job at the new gig.

Dire Straits on February 4, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Spirit of 1776 on February 4, 2010 at 5:58 PM

It was probably an important Muslim driving that the agency was going to take to the Superbowl in exchange for info on where Bin Hidin is.

BL@KBIRD on February 4, 2010 at 6:48 PM

get well soon Jim…

jerrytbg on February 4, 2010 at 6:55 PM

ProudPalinFan on February 4, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Also not wanting to hijack the thread. There are never any threads here at HotAir that are about this subject though. Not for a long time.

If it’s not OK for us to discuss here you could meet me over at my blog, http://www.butterdezillion.wordpress.com

justincase on February 4, 2010 at 7:02 PM

To quote Nathan Fillion in Slither: well, now that is some f@$%#d up s#!%. Hope you get well — and justice — soon, Sean.

CO2 Producer on February 4, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I’m pretty sure Pinnochio will come out with a statement saying the Poolice and State Dept. were acting “stupidly” and call for a beer summit.

Question is will O’Biden crash the party again?

dhunter on February 4, 2010 at 7:11 PM

The twin’s long form bc – what you were writing about?

WorldNetDaily has TONS of stuff, sorry couldn’t find what you’re looking for…I saw the results search are about 300K per topic-and I did my best to narrow it down!

ProudPalinFan on February 4, 2010 at 7:13 PM

I don’t think it was SD either. I think it was a contracter working for the SD.

let the speculations begin.

upinak on February 4, 2010 at 7:50 PM

However, the police added insult to injury by issuing Jim a citation for jaywalking…

Why Treach, because the SUV chased (or knocked) you out of the crosswalk zone?!

Sickening.

Get better soon Treach. And don’t worry, these ba-tards are not gonna get away with it.

RD on February 4, 2010 at 8:03 PM

State Department? Now who is at… Oh Yea! Hillary is at State. Get well soon Vince, er Jim.

MikeA on February 4, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Given the coordinates, my first guess was State. Hope they throw the book at ‘em.

Christien on February 4, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Maybe there’s a CAMERA or something that saw this and recorded it???

Mojave Mark on February 4, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Did anyone read the update at Daily Caller? The ticket that Treacher received wasn’t even written for where the incident took place. This whole thing gets more bizarre by the minute. Surgery tomorrow.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Nothing bizarre about it. The government f**kers think they’re above the law and they’re forging evidence against JT. Welcome to Ogabe’s America.

Darth Executor on February 4, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Treachergate.

bloggless on February 4, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Treacher I hope you get better soon.

Also a big B+ to thr driver /s

Gracelynn on February 4, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Jim Treacher, I hope you get well very soon. Lot’s of times people hit and run because they are “affected”…just saying. This stinks and I hope these people fess up to what they are doing. In the meantime, get well.

bloggless on February 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Get a urinalysis from the driver ASAP.

artist on February 4, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Wow, if we only had universal health care… /s

tcn on February 4, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Struck Down: Feds Refuse to Explain How Agent Injured Daily Caller Writer

This incident is so weird. Read the article.

Geochelone on February 4, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Struck Down: Feds Refuse to Explain How Agent Injured Daily Caller Writer

This incident is so weird. Read the article.

Geochelone on February 4, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Geochelone: Just wow,somebody is out to get Treacher,at
least thast what it looks like to me!!:)

canopfor on February 4, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Jim Treacher,I’m shocked,sumpin ain’t right,speedy
recover:)

canopfor on February 4, 2010 at 10:20 PM

This sounds more like an old Moscow story. That’s where you might read, and be expected to believe, a “criminal” on foot rammed the grill of a moving SUV with his head, and thereby purposely vandalized a government vehicle. And when the criminal is out of surgery, if he lives, this reckless miscreant will certainly be punished for his abuse of government property. The public is just lucky that Capt. Smirnoff, the driver of the SUV, was there to report this incident of vandalism.

RBMN on February 4, 2010 at 10:24 PM

This sucks on so many levels. When you take this dangerous driver to court, and you must, don’t forget to have him reimburse you for all of the perfectly good pants you will now have to rip.
Best wishes for a comfortable and speedy recovery.

redwhiteblue on February 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM

MikeA on February 4, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I think it was the other Clinton that offed him. You know, the one AnninCA likes.

hawkdriver on February 5, 2010 at 6:01 AM

The question that should be answered is: How did the special agent know whom Jim was? Apparently he knew enough to contact his employer and inform them of the incident.

Demosthenes on February 5, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Is the State Dept also immune from lawsuits? Send Treacher an ambulance chaser!

Shay on February 4, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I don’t think John Edwards is very busy right now. Just keep him away from you female family members.

Extrafishy on February 5, 2010 at 10:58 AM

As a former career officer I can tell you that leaving the scene of an accident involving injuries is a felony. It does not matter if the victim was at fault or not. The fact it was a security officer with the State Department makes me wonder if he was tasked to go somewhere or was driving a high value protectee.

Or he was just leaving because he thought nobody would figure out it was him. This will be a curious moment to see if the local authorities can make the arrogant feds play nice.

archer52 on February 5, 2010 at 3:56 PM

This is really really strange. He should examine what his stories have been about… maybe someone held a grudge. The government is run by mafia types.

Watch out anyone who speaks out.

petunia on February 5, 2010 at 5:27 PM

If State thinks that it can forestall charges or a court case against them or their driver by pushing the useless jaywalking charge, they’re going to have their filleted char-broiled backsides handed to them in court.

Here’s how the situation could have gone down “well.”

1. Driver stops and helps
2. Agency covers hospital bill
3. Otherwise, STFU

Instead, with the jaywalking citation delivered at the hospital, for the wrong intersection, the driver calling the employer after the hit-and-run and blaming the pedestrian…

This could only look MORE deliberate if the driver had shouted “DIE, TREACHER” before running him down.

Merovign on February 6, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Dear Jim Treacher,

Deer in the headlights comes to mind when reading this story about you involved in this hit and run incident. How it reads is that your first reaction was disbelief of what was unfolding in front of you in lieu of an instinctual self preservation manuever of attempting to get the hell out the way reaction. Were you alone in the crosswalk? Did you hear the roar of the engine bearing down on you before you saw it coming? All circumstances aside, the alleged hit and run driver third mistake was leaving the seen of the accident. Nobody leaves the seen of an accident. There are no exceptions. The first two mistakes require witnesses willing to testify or provide written affidavits that the alleged driver did make an illegal left turn and that you were hit while crossing the street with the right of way signaling in your favor.

At the Oscars this year or backstage on Broadway maybe one of the people who know you there will say “have a treacher” instead of “break a leg” before going on stage in your honor.

In the meantime, get well soon.

Americannodash on February 6, 2010 at 10:37 AM

sorry that s/b scene instead of seen. Damn homonyms will get you before your morning coffee.

Americannodash on February 6, 2010 at 10:40 AM