Obama: You can disagree with me without questioning my citizenship

posted at 4:10 pm on February 4, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart, a lecture on civility from the leader of a party whose elder statesmen have lately started dropping “teabagger” references into their fundraising e-mails. It’s newsworthy as a rare example of The One addressing Birthers directly and as proof of how useful this dopey controversy is to him, letting him take the high road — during a speech about faith, no less — vis-a-vis opponents looking to discredit him by all available means. The citizenship line is delivered almost as an afterthought, but I doubt it was unscripted: Remember, Birtherism is part of the Dems’ midterm strategy, to frighten indies into believing that the GOP’s too fringe-y to be trusted with governance. Expect more in this vein from The One as November approaches, especially if the economic recovery is sluggish. In that case, nothing less than full Bambi victim mode will do.

Exit question: Are there more Republican Birthers than there are Democratic Truthers? Hmmmm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Translation. Question my citizenship more! Do it! I wantyou todoitiwantyoutodoit.

fiatboomer on February 4, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Am I allowed to question his sanity?

Doughboy on February 4, 2010 at 4:13 PM

He is seriously approaching his major meltdown.

OmahaConservative on February 4, 2010 at 4:13 PM

it’s not about his citizenship… and he knows it… it’s about where he was born and whether both parents were U.S. citizens.

max1 on February 4, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Actually, we’re allowed to do both.

Darksean on February 4, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Most people are disagreeing with you without pushing the citizenship issue.

HOWEVER, since you brought it up, you could defuse the whole situation by telling Hawaii to release a copy of the vault version of your certificate. You won’t, though, because you want this as a club to use against people.

teke184 on February 4, 2010 at 4:14 PM

The man could teach an upper division class a on the straw man debate fallacy. Constitutional law, not so much.

jukin on February 4, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Well, in 2007, there were 61% who either thought Bush knew or weren’t sure, and Ernesto recently pulled up a poll that put Birthers (either don’t believe Obama was born here or aren’t sure) at just over 50%.

I’d guess the Truther stuff has died down now that their guy is in power, but otherwise, they look fairly identical to me.

Esthier on February 4, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Let us pray….

lawtwin on February 4, 2010 at 4:15 PM

With all due respect, Mr. President (which isn’t much), howzabout if I disagree with you AND question your citizenship? While I’m at it, I’ll question your judgment, your parentage, your intentions, and your patriotism. I’ll question any dang thing about you that crosses my mind, and I don’t want your haughty mug telling me not to.

That’s what I would say if I was in Congress, so I’m holding back.

BTW, you can join a fun community of conservatives on an open forum at: http://itsaboutfreedom.proboards.com/index.cgi

IronDioPriest on February 4, 2010 at 4:15 PM

SHUT UP and get out of my way.

I won.

jukin on February 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Actually, we’re allowed to do both.

Its a legitimate question of documentation. Why are we not allowed to know the REAL personal history of our president. The questions came from Obama’s own evasions and distortions about his past.

echosyst on February 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I question his grades. And his medical history.

ctmom on February 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

So, Obama went to the National Prayer Breakfast to worship himself? The First Presidential Temper Tantrum (TM) is coming soon. It will be glorious.

kingsjester on February 4, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Birthers

Truthers

Spenders

Fight the spenders.

portlandon on February 4, 2010 at 4:17 PM

This windbag never says anything that doesn’t have a real purpose.

My guess…Iamamoron.com is that this is cutting close and he is readying his rebuttal……..There are hundreds of lawsuits concerning birth…long form

nondhimmie on February 4, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Something a Kenyan would say.

Apologetic California on February 4, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Actually I question his:
Citizenship
Sanity
Loyalty
Competence
Truthfulness
College/Law School Grades
Taste in clothes
Golf scores

Anyone else wish to add to the list????

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on February 4, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Obama: You can disagree with me without questioning my citizenship

He sets up these false dichotomies. This statement assumes that all or most of whom disagree with him, are birthers. Does this leave room for being disagreeable and not questioning his citizenship. This is such a perversion of public discourse here champ, because, right now, you could have been born smack dab in the middle of Kansas and we’d be disagreeing with equal energy. It’s your policies, not your heredity. Get over it.

ted c on February 4, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I wonder if any and all crosses were removed from the room before he spoke?

capejasmine on February 4, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I question his pronunciation of the word “corpsman”.

Fallen Sparrow on February 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I foresee the equivalent of trolls infiltrating Tea Parties and Town Halls carrying signs requesting to see the birth certificate. And they will be prominently shown on every news show and newspaper.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Obama: Let me be clear. I will not compete with Jesus, when I am greater than Jesus.

capejasmine on February 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM

So, Obama went to the National Prayer Breakfast to worship himself?

kingsjester on February 4, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Yeah. That’s it.

But he knows his time there is limited. Thankfully.

***

OT: This. Is. Good! Go. See it. Now!

newton on February 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Fallen Sparrow on February 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM

The husband was a little spun up about that also.

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

But I can’t disagree with you without questioning that ridiculous Thurston Howell jaw thrust you can’t seem to address anybody without.

Pompous demagogue.

nico on February 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

In terms of all that we disagree upon, citizenship is wayyy down the list about now. His citizenship issue ain’t gonna pay the bills or keep the lights on.

ted c on February 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Has Scott Brown been sworn in yet?

OmahaConservative on February 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Stop whining Obama, you are a fallible human and you will be questioned . . . on everything that concerns the people and not just those things you approve of. Make it easy on yourself and get used to it.

rplat on February 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

What happens if he slips over the edge into insanity? Do we have a means to determine his mental stability and remove him?

Alden Pyle on February 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

The Democrats themselves will out him once they see he insists on running for reelection. You read it here!

leftnomore on February 4, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Did this guy ever really believe that he was up to the task of actually being president of the United States of America? I mean, really?

Clearly, he has the maturity of an 11-year old, and the judgement and intellect to match. He seems to be laboring under the delusion that, if he was elected, he would never be questioned or challenged.

UltimateBob on February 4, 2010 at 4:21 PM

max1 on February 4, 2010 at 4:14 PM

O.o

Midas on February 4, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Don’t want to see the low road if attacking/accusing/making fun of people at a prayer breakfast is the high road.

journeyintothewhirlwind on February 4, 2010 at 4:21 PM

What happens if he slips over the edge into insanity barking, excrement throwing madness? Do we have a means to determine his mental stability and remove him?

Alden Pyle on February 4, 2010 at 4:20 PM

He’s already insane, it’s just a matter of establishing degree at this point.

Fallen Sparrow on February 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I don’t question his citizenship, but I do want answers on his Aunt’s. Wonder what would happen if Scott Brown had an illegal alien aunt living in public housing and getting public tax $$ in welfare and food stamps.

Alden Pyle on February 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM

The bottom line: This was just another political speech to him.

kingsjester on February 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM

leftnomore on February 4, 2010 at 4:21 PM

0bama has thrown enough of them under the bus to preserve his own political career. When the Dems see how vulnerable he is in 2012, they will be returning the favor.

Paybacks are a b!tch.

UltimateBob on February 4, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Obama to play the Victim Card (leading up to elections)?

Won’t work! Not after that hissy fit he threw at the Supreems during the SOTU. Also, Bully Robert Gibbs stands in the way of Obama’s Victim Card. Not to mention Obama’s war on FNC and the Fat Cats on Wall Street.

TN Mom on February 4, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Coming from the party that questioned the mental capacity of the last President

Butters on February 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Obama: You can disagree with me without questioning my citizenship

It was time to try something new. Obviously “Disagreeing with me is raaaaacist!” hasn’t gotten very far.

JamesLee on February 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM

How dare my employers ask me questions. How. Dare. They.

Ronnie on February 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Head Narcissist In Chief.

jukin on February 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Fight the spenders.

portlandon on February 4, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Is this like a rage against the copier machine? Laser Printer?

You know.. those things that those who don’t like to admit they use because it is all capitalistic and junk?

upinak on February 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM

SHOW US THE REAL CERTIFICATE THERE BARRY!

RealMc on February 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Hmmm is this why Treacher was hit?

upinak on February 4, 2010 at 4:26 PM

On the first point, I disagree. He wasn’t just “addressing birthers”, he was smearing anyone who opposes his policies as doing so based on whacko conspiracy theories.

On the second point, you’re correct, he needs to keep harping on that to boost his sagging support.

This was an outrageous performance today. I watched it live and commented on many things he said including this. It was unpresidential, to say the least. Time and again his inappropriate behavior casts GWB’s gentlemanly comportment in stark relief.

This was a Prayer Breakfast yet Obama had to use it to campaign in his usual way, employing dishonesty and impugning the motives of others, at the same time decrying partisanship and so on.

It was disgraceful.

KittyLowrey on February 4, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I am not questioning your citizenship ObowMao. I am relating what you and your wife have claimed in public and in print. You are the son of a British citizen. Where ever you were born you are a subject of the British Crown. You are not a natural born citizen. That means you were, are, and ever shall be NOT eligible for the office of President of these United States.

FREEDOM!

Blacksmith8 on February 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I question his commitment to the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. He’s gone on record as wanting “positive rights” and denigrating our Natural Rights as “negative rights.”

This nation was founded on the principle of the individual. Dear Liar believes in the collective.

rbj on February 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I don’t care about the birth certificate, champ!

I want to see those college transcripts. And I want to see the Bursar receipts from Harvard Law. Who paid for it, Barry? I’m very curious!

newton on February 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Let The Plouffe Presidency begin!

The Plouffe Machine got him elected and then Obama & crew tried to govern without the showman, trouble is we have seen the real Obama. You can’t take it back & you can’t repackage him.

batterup on February 4, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Anyone else wish to add to the list????

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on February 4, 2010 at 4:18 PM

I question his taste in women and his ability to do basic math.

Lily on February 4, 2010 at 4:28 PM

The fraud LOVES the distraction(s). It keeps a lot of people from sharpening their pitchforks over the economy. ANY distraction possible plays right up his ally. He’ll keep that pot boiling just as long as he can.

GoldenEagle4444 on February 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Thanks, Birther idiots!

DaveS on February 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I question if Obama is capable of telling the truth!

TN Mom on February 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Cindy Munford on February 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Exactly

macncheez on February 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Is it just me or is he the one who’s making an issue of it? Makes you wonder what the guy behind the curtain is up to????

(yes, I did read the Dem strategy memos)

2nd Ammendment Mother on February 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Just one question:

Do citizens spend $1.8 million in legal fees trying to avoid having to come up with their birth certificate?

Okay, some more questions:
Why did Obama fly to Hawaii and get his records sealed?
Why did he get a scholarship available only to foreign students?

These questions would be easy to answer he is not hiding anything.

The Rock on February 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Frak the frakkin birth certificate. It’s probably really on the level. I said over a year ago when this first came up that he was withholding his birth certificate in order to damn his critics with it.

I have 500 times more questions about 0bama’s competency, experience, and judgment than I do about his birth certificate.

Sekhmet on February 4, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Transcripts, absolutely. The “who paid for it” thing is even more stupid than the birther nonsense. Who paid for his college is none of your business, and you sound like a paranoid conspiratorial freak even asking the question… what are you getting at?

DaveS on February 4, 2010 at 4:30 PM

question his pronunciation of the word “corpsman”.

Fallen Sparrow on February 4, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Rush Limbaugh was getting a good chuckle about this today.

Was Obama talking about undertakers to handle corpses? Everybody knows that corpses vote for Democrats!

Steve Z on February 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Thanks, Birther idiots!

DaveS on February 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I’ll take them any day over the Truthers.

Esthier on February 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM

And most of us do.

MarkTheGreat on February 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I want to see his academic transcripts. Does that make me a Grader?

OhioCoastie on February 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM

lecturer in chief.. at it again.. what a waste

gatorboy on February 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM

College transcripts? Grad thesis topic? Can we start there? Even Kerry made his GPA public.

the_souse on February 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM

And by the way, people can oppose his policies and still remark on his “faith” that he waves around when it suits him but then we’re not to discuss the fact that he and his family attended Wright’s “church” for over two decades and the implications of that long-term attendance.

I think I will question his faith. I question the faith of someone who doesn’t see a problem with broadly casting asperions, wielding a broadbrush and so on. Someone who tells an audience that “they” were going to talk about his name and what he looks like.

Yeah, I question his faith.

KittyLowrey on February 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Esthier on February 4, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Sure looks that way to me as well. Troubling developments to be sure…when more than 1/2 of the voting public harbors such extreme views, how are we supposed to make the tough national decisions? This does not bode well for anyone, liberal, conservative, or otherwise.

ernesto on February 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM

DaveS on February 4, 2010 at 4:30 PM

The implication is, depending on the source, that the Saudis or other foreign and/or radical elements paid for it.

teke184 on February 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Anyone else wish to add to the list????

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on February 4, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Intelligence?
Choice of associates?

Target rich environment, that.

VelvetElvis on February 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Jay Cost has a really good article today on he nature of partisanship.

It’s on RCP. Worth the read.

AnninCA on February 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM

proof of how useful this dopey controversy is to him

You can put your faith in this “proof” all you want but it doesn’t make it so.

Oh wait! Given how well he did in Virginia, New Jersey and Massachusetts, I must be wrong, so keep the faith, baby!

The citizenship line

The matter has never been about whether or not he is a citizen. It has always been about whether or not he is natural born.

MB4 on February 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Birthers should just go to ground. At this point, it’s irrelevant. He’s the President. Nobody is going to impeach him even if it turns out there’s irrefutable proof that he’s a secret islamist Manchurian candidate. The issue only works to his party’s advantage.

entropent on February 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM

max1 on February 4, 2010 at 4:14 PM

All of which have been answered repeatedly.

MarkTheGreat on February 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Obama: It’s beer, beer, beer, that makes you wanna cheer
in the Quartermaster Corpse!

Steve Z on February 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Empty vessels make the most noise !

Sandybourne on February 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM

proof of how useful this dopey controversy is to him

About questioning his citizenship the way he questioned McCain’s citizenship and sponsored a senate debate on McCain’s eligibility? This makes him look like a whiny hypocrite, and that can’t win him any points.

Buddahpundit on February 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM

I want demand to see C-Span cameras in all closed door meetings attended by Team Obama!

TN Mom on February 4, 2010 at 4:33 PM

When he wasn’t responding to it, that was “proof of how useful this dopey controversy is to him.” Now that he responded, that’s “proof of how useful this dopey controversy is to him.” OK, I think it’s been going on long enough. Instead of spouting contradictory theories, isn’t it about time to showcase some of that usefulness? Approval rating? Accomplishments? Recent elections? You got anything?

Ronnie on February 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

teke184 on February 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Based on… voices in their heads? What?

DaveS on February 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Yeah, I question his faith.

KittyLowrey on February 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM

If his faith is in a man who screams “God d@mn America”, I question his patriotism!

Steve Z on February 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

These questions would be easy to answer he is not hiding anything.

The Rock on February 4, 2010 at 4:29 PM

He might be hiding something, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t eligible when he was sworn in.

Esthier on February 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

barking, excrement throwing madness

He’s already insane, it’s just a matter of establishing degree at this point.

Fallen Sparrow on February 4, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Wow. Thanks for the video. The mental video is looped.

Blacksmith8 on February 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I’ll take them any day over the Truthers.

Esthier on February 4, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I’d rather not take either.

Life’s too short to waste it dealing with idiots.

MarkTheGreat on February 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

He is insane.

I can and do disagree with you and question your citizenship. I do both on very solid grounds.
Today, however, it is your sanity and your intelligence I question. A prayer breakfast is a prayer breakfast not a fricking campaign stop.

ORconservative on February 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Who is going to be left to blame after November?

d1carter on February 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

This guy is out of material. He shot his wad on health care (by August, by October, by Thanksgiving, by Christmas, by year-end), terror trials and Copehagen debacles, Kennedy’s vacancy being filled by a Republican, etc.

He’s toast. If lobbing a birther comment out at a nationally-televised prayer breakfast, he is in desperate need of a political life line. Even his sudden call to repeal DADT is clearly a Hail Mary pass to the base in the hope of some love in return.

The magic of 2008 and hope and change is firmly buried in a $hitpile… and he knows it.

D2Boston on February 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

There is no comparison between Birtherism and Trutherism. The former is questioning someone’s place of birth, the latter is accusing someone of murdering thousands.

Grayson on February 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM

You know the best way for Obama to stop people questioning his citizenship? Prove his citizenship. And every week-kneed conservative who bemoans the power it gives the left to call us Birthers instead of demanding proof of eligibility are aiding in the downfall of rule of law. I want his birth records, his passport records, his civil service records, his social security records (since he’s used numerous ones), his selective service registration records, his medical records, his K-12 records from the Punahou school, his records from the Philippines, his Harvard records, his Columbia records, his Occidental College records, any and all college thesis, all records of who funded his college education, his legislative and scheduling records from his time in state senate, and the list goes on. Barack Obama’s past is a giant black hole. When looking at that hidden life we get repeated hints of criminality and ties to radicals of all stripes. He may not even be eligible for the the position he holds. So when you look at that black hole if you’re first concern is that it may not help you score political points you aren’t doing your duty as an American. We must uphold the laws, not be lax in enforcing them because it may be inconvenient or controversial. There’s nothing crazy or foolish about wanting the truth. And if you’re truly worried about this being political ammo for a guy who is digging his own grave politically maybe you need to reconsider you’re abject fear of leftist scorn, the ineffectiveness such Birther slams will have in a crowded marketplace of leftist slurs, and Obama’s willingness to paint you all with the brush even though you’ve avoided the issue as if it were plague-ridden. Get a grip, and demand the truth. And stop being so darn afraid of Obama’s gripes and lawyers. America deserves better from her defenders.

chicagojedi on February 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Every day, in every way Barry shows that he is not capable of holding the highest office in the land. He just isn’t competent. The birther thing is not working just as the racist thing never worked. He has no credibility in anything he says or does. This is no time to be afraid.
He has lost his mojo. It was etherial and had no substance. He can’t pivot, or govern and it is getting so bad that his speeches mean nothing.
Time to pile on!

BetseyRoss on February 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Associated Press actually sued toe Bush White House to force the release of his military records.

Double standard duly noted.

Del Dolemonte on February 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM

What if he is already on mental meds and still this frackin crazy? Health records, stat.

Ris4victory on February 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Steve Z on February 4, 2010 at 4:34 PM

+1000

TN Mom on February 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Its a legitimate question of documentation.
echosyst on February 4, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Which has been provided.

MarkTheGreat on February 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM

ernesto on February 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I agree that it’s troubling, but I’m not convinced it’s new. I just think 24 hr. news cycles make this bigger news and stokes these kinds of sentiments which politicians then use to distract us.

Esthier on February 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Associated Press actually sued toe THE Bush White House to force the release of his military records.

Double standard duly noted.

Del Dolemonte on February 4, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Fixed.

Del Dolemonte on February 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Vetting for politics is nearly always really about how one handles situations, within the moment.

I simply think we didn’t know much about Obama. He was untested. The idea of voting for the first AA president was enticing to the country.

Right guy, right moment in time.

It’s going to have some good results, too, in spite of what some may think.

I didn’t vote for him, but I’m not interested now in his stupid GPA from college. I’m not sure any politicians should cough that up. It’s simply irrelevant.

We have a year of seeing him adjust. He’s not swift on adjustment and certainly not nearly as politically brilliant as some pundits imagined.

I’m not surprised. Why would he be? That “brilliance” is a combination of true vision and real experience. He lacked the latter.

AnninCA on February 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Obama prays = Atheist prays

All else in this story is fodder.

Schadenfreude on February 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM

AnninCA on February 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Still haven’t found the exit, eh?

Try the big red “X”, top right corner….that’s a left click…

BobMbx on February 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Amazing, by the way. He takes a venue and occassion such as this and turns it into yet another “it’s all about me” moment.

Midas on February 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM