Video: The freaky deaky Carly Fiorina “sheep” attack ad

posted at 6:43 pm on February 3, 2010 by Allahpundit

You want to put a guy in a sheep costume with red robot eyes and have him crawl around a pasture for awhile? Sure, I’ll link it.

I get the “wolf in sheep’s clothing” metaphor, but Time’s right that there’s quite a bit of mockery of fiscal conservatives at the beginning too. Which is … odd in this political climate, even in California. Everyone likes to believe they’re fiscally conservative just as everyone likes to believe they have a sense of humor, whether it’s true or not. Is goofing on that the way to go, especially in a state that’s now extremely budget-conscious? Or is the point simply that there are no true “pure” fiscal conservatives? In which case, why am I supposed to much care about Tom Campbell’s own deviations from purity?

Geraghty thinks it’s genius, but I came away from it wondering more what Fiorina was thinking than what Campbell was thinking. Not good.

Update: Like I said, everyone — and I do mean everyone — thinks they’re fiscally conservative.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Use snakes for that ad, Carly? Maybe clowns?

SouthernGent on February 3, 2010 at 8:26 PM

No , a stained boxer will do

macncheez on February 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I like it.

JohnGalt23 on February 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I had Carly as a boss and Tom as a representative. I’ll stick with Tom, thank you. She had a lot more say in the fiscal situation at HP circa mid-2000s than Tom did for the state of California.

calbear on February 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM

The ad says that fiscally conservative California Republicans are sheep.

Campbell is pretending to be a fiscally conservative Republican but he’s really a wolf. So real sheep are fiscally conservative Republicans. That ad is really dumb.

hepcat on February 3, 2010 at 8:42 PM

I’ll stick with Chuck, thnx.

salmonczar on February 3, 2010 at 8:47 PM

I think you’re reading way too much into that, hepcat.

Also not sure how the ad makes fun of fiscal conservatives.

amkun on February 3, 2010 at 8:48 PM

She’s a dyed-in-the-wool SF lib and should be DeeDee’d.

mr.blacksheep on February 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM

This ad is getting killed on Twitter by conservative commentators. She’s done.

And that is Robert Davi narrating.

Dudley Smith on February 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Thinks Transformers II is awesome

Tom Campbell
Listens to John Denver

Tom Campbell
Runs His Car A/C With The Windows Down

The Ugly American on February 3, 2010 at 9:02 PM

I thought it was pretty good…Congress is full of folk who say one thing and vote another.

JIMV on February 3, 2010 at 9:08 PM

I am curious. What are Carleton’s “accomplishments” to which this ad refers.

She was made CEO of HP simply due to her gender; she had no worthwhile experience. Prior to HP she ran Lucent into the ground.

She managed to relieve HP of most of its cash; she presided over a -30 point loss in share value; she bought herself a new jet on HPs dime; every time she spoke share price fell 10 dollars.

I guess in a land where the President can do nothing and get a Nobel Prize and a B+, the above are considered accomplishments.

nothus on February 3, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Where did they get the video of him sneaking through a field of sheep dressed as one? /sarcasm

shick on February 3, 2010 at 9:11 PM

This idea would have worked if they’d had a guy in a business environment wearing sheepskin clothing, trying to maintain himself as if there wasn’t anything out of the ordinary about what he was wearing.

The guy in the costume w/the red Jawa eyes crawling around on his hands & knees in the grass is stupid. It’s a guy.

They failed to get the “wolf” part included so the whole premise as it’s filmed and edited is just hoakey, badly done, just badly done.

Too long, too wordy, too many shots of those “silent starin staring-at-the-camera people (fails to even make a pooint, who are they, what are they staring at and why at you, what’s the point).

Too many field live-action shots of the sheep running around.

Like I suggested, it WOULD have worked if they’d edited down the voice-over script, slowed it down a bit, rid it of the staring nameless people, and utterly redid that man-0in-sheeps-skin thing (make it an actual guy like I suggested, going about an actual business environment but wearing a sheepskin outfit, no eyes, no corny facial mask).

This is a silly, very unprofessionally done spot…and in that, it loses the point that it tries to make and taht is the insincerity of how people term themselves (“fiscal conservative” versus reality).

I agree that EVERYone thinks they’re fiscally conservative. It doesn’t mean they’re conservative in nearly all cases, also.

Lourdes on February 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM

The ad says that fiscally conservative California Republicans are sheep.

hepcat on February 3, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Right. And that they’re silently-staring-blank-eyed nameless people, staring. At you (at the viewer).

It’s a failed bit. The premise we get (most do) but the ad just comes off as very badly thrown together.

They should’a hired me.

Lourdes on February 3, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I love the way they calling him by his first name. “Tom” “Tom” “Tom” I especially love the way she plays the sex card almost immediately in the ad. At least she’s consistent with that meme.

If she wins the primary (and I think she will) can’t wait to see if she attacks Barbara Boxer this same way. Use snakes for that ad, Carly? Maybe clowns?

SouthernGent on February 3, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Whoever wins, I’m putting even money on an ad that shows that clip of her berating that gentleman about calling her Senator, followed by, “California, do yourself a favor. Call her former Senator. Thank you.”

stldave on February 3, 2010 at 9:17 PM

man-hating S.F. liberal. What could go wrong?

bofh on February 3, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Wow, I like the message of the ad, and I hate hate hate the ad. Both voice-over commentators are extremely irritating. Don’t sneer at me, dude.

I’m beginning to see what happened to HP. I’ll vote for this woman if I have to, given the alternative, but I’ll have to see if I can still vote, with both hands holding my nose.

Splunge on February 3, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Whoa!
Because of this ad, she’s up 12 points.
In New Zealand.

justltl on February 3, 2010 at 9:51 PM

I’m surprised she hasn’t yet come out with an ad that says, “Vote for me, I have a vagina”.

The Ugly American on February 3, 2010 at 8:25 PM

ROFL!!

I only hope CA Republicans have the sense enough to vote for Campbell.

The Ugly American on February 3, 2010 at 8:25 PM

Not only do I hope CA republicans vote him but I hope HA readers can spare a few dollars and donate to Campbell.

Conservative Samizdat on February 3, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Why run an ad in Cali where the voice has a New Jersey – New York accent? Weird.

Captain America on February 3, 2010 at 10:08 PM

baaaaaa ad

Captain America on February 3, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Awww, who got Final Cut Pro for Christmas?

motionview on February 3, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Say it with me…..W.T.F?

RobCon on February 3, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Is that…..is that Robert Davi doing the voiceover?

Vyce on February 3, 2010 at 10:49 PM

No , a stained boxer will do

macncheez on February 3, 2010 at 8:31 PM

I bet Allahpundit has an old pair he can spare. :-D

SouthernGent on February 3, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Hey, furries need jobs too.

James on February 3, 2010 at 11:05 PM

I think that robot/wolf/sheep thing will give me nightmares for a few nights.

Rightwingguy on February 3, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I bet Allahpundit has an old pair he can spare. :-D

SouthernGent on February 3, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Naaaaaah
He seems to be a thong kindda dude
( sorry AllahP )

macncheez on February 3, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Hmm. Is this part of the wild west internet that Carly wants to protect innocent women and children from?

Truly bizarre, and not in a good way.

mizzoujgrad on February 3, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Funny stuff or maybe I’m suffering from sleep deprivation.

HellCat on February 4, 2010 at 12:50 AM

ha, i love it!

i am a california voter, and that ad right there won my vote (for now, anyway). any time a politician talks about tax increases being ‘the right thing to do’, in my opinion, they simply are looking to the wrong places for solutions to the messes they cause.

anyway, ad was great; loved the music and the dudes voice. and the message. the sheep was a little silly, but i don’t mind silly sometimes.

truecon on February 4, 2010 at 1:13 AM

It was obvious the ad is saying that Campbell is a wolf in sheep’s clothing and that Campbell cannot be trusted.

Seems the best choice is Chuck de Vore

maggieo on February 4, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Now we know where AP was the past few days. Someone had to play the sheep.txag92 on February 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Rinse and REPEAT!

leftnomore on February 4, 2010 at 3:16 AM

Rinse and REPEAT!

leftnomore on February 4, 2010 at 3:16 AM

+100

TASS71 on February 4, 2010 at 7:51 AM

I just saw an ad that Chuck Devore is running (over at hillbuzz) about demonsheep…hilarious…

thebookkeeper on February 4, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Dang. I was a Carly fan.

But this is a campaign killer. Utter fail.
This will not persuade any more people to vote for her than to now vote against her. A net loss.

connertown on February 4, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Captain America on February 3, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I’m thinking he’s supposed to sound like Scott Brown.

Buy Danish on February 4, 2010 at 10:51 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Abby Adams on February 4, 2010 at 12:17 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Abby Adams on February 4, 2010 at 12:17 PM

That is PRICELESS! And when you sign up with your email it says “Thanks, ewe are now part of the solution.”
Does DeVore read this blog? It seems like it.

NTWR on February 4, 2010 at 1:12 PM

At no point in your rambling incoherent sentences did you approach anything that could be considered a message. We are all now dumber (though, laughing a lot more) for having watched this. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!

Darth Keller on February 4, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Ummm, what? I don’t get it.

Is she trying to say fiscal conservatives are sheep? I wish the sheople were fiscal conservatives; then we wouldn’t have the mess we have now.

bitsy on February 4, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Slightly OT: When is someone going to make a campaign commercial outing Nancy Pelosi as a lizard person? I am certain I have seen her lick her own eyeball on several occaisions.

bitsy on February 4, 2010 at 2:45 PM