Video: O’Reilly and Jon Stewart banter about Fox News

posted at 10:01 pm on February 3, 2010 by Allahpundit

I wanted to sex up the headline by saying they “clashed” or “argued,” but … it just ain’t so. They’re kind of chummy, actually, which is fascinating to watch in its own way but a letdown for anyone who was expecting a reprise of Stewart vs. Tucker Carlson on “Crossfire.” I wonder what they could have been commiserating about off-camera to put them in such a genial mood. Hmmmm.

Two segments for you here, but only the second is essential if you’re pressed for time. That’s where the two of them get into it over Fox and Glenn Beck’s identity as an “everyman.” Fun viewing on a slow news night.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

We’ll get QOTD, right, Allah?

OmahaConservative on February 3, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Remembering that Bill O. skewered an attorney for not calling prospective clients murders, he sure was civil with Jon.

IlikedAUH2O on February 3, 2010 at 10:05 PM

O’Reilly actually did quite well in this interview. I was pleasantly surprised. It was out of character for him.

neurosculptor on February 3, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I was unimpressed with Bill tonight. I thought he did a great job with Sarah Palin’s interview, but this was almost a flop. If I had one word to describe this interview, it would be contrived. I felt that Bill was condescending at times, but not intentionally; trying to hard at other times to either ‘get’ Jon Stewart or attempt his hand at humor, which fell flat. It’s like Bill sees Stewart as his equal of sorts, and it almost made Bill look a bit small.

I don’t have high hopes the 2nd half of the interview tomorrow night.

therightscoop on February 3, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Stewart thinks that everything on FOX is geared to the Right. I might be willing to agree with his premise if he will say whether or not other media outlets have a Left leaning perspective. Without that information his comments are meaningless as anything but insults.

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2010 at 10:09 PM

murders=murderers

IlikedAUH2O on February 3, 2010 at 10:09 PM

I can’t help it. I think that Leibowitz is funny.

Mason on February 3, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Watched it live…. BORING!

txag92 on February 3, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Clown nose off?

carbon_footprint on February 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Jon Stewart complaing to BOR about news on Fox…right.
So…when is he going to start complaining about how “fake” ABC cbs, NBC, cnn….list goes on.

Olbermann doesn’t count because he’s certifiable.
Stewart isn’t even funny. He’s completely overrated.
Fox news is the best channel to watch news on. They aren’t 3-4 times the ratings of CNN and NBC just because conservatives are watching.

B Man on February 3, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Saw it live, was not impressed, am tired of Bill bloviating about his ratings, and even sicker knowing that he still has that racist turd, Marc Lamont Hill doing commentary. I thought he was fired?

Now I see BOR is doing a segment with Dr. K.

Now stop cutting off Dr. K. and let him talk, ok Bill?

Knucklehead on February 3, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Leibowitz has his niche…

He is a comedian, let him work and earn a living.

Unfortunately, too many people listen to his shtick, and believe it as gospel…

… then vote.

Seven Percent Solution on February 3, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Two inflated egos meet. Eh.

cubachi on February 3, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Stewart seems to have difficulty differentiating between news, and commentary. I’m sure he believes Matthews, Maddow and the ilk of the MSM’s are grade A , middle of the road, unbiased, honest news reporters.

capejasmine on February 3, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I can’t help it. I think that Leibowitz is funny.

Mason on February 3, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Heh.

For the last half decade I’ve been embarrassed that he’s from my State. But wanting as I do to give a tad more benefit to fellow swamp dwellers, he at least is willing to take on the Left in their more shameless moments: ACORN, Olbermann. That’s more than I can say for any other network or Cable “news” show.

I just wonder whether his ratings would plummet if he came around to the light. Somehow I think they would.

Anyway, like I do for most leftists who seem to have some firing neurons remaining, I pray that Leibowitz one day wakes up.

russcote on February 3, 2010 at 10:19 PM

enjoyed it

Richard Bushnell on February 3, 2010 at 10:19 PM

News w/Shep
BOR
Hannity
Greta

vs.

Mathews
KO
Madcow
KO

Yeah, John, Fox is so tilted, they had just better come out and admit it! Turn to MSNBC if you want objective news coverage.

mankai on February 3, 2010 at 10:20 PM

“You have become, in some ways, the voice of sanity here, which is like being the thinnest kid at fat camp.”

Hate speech alert!

Bruno Strozek on February 3, 2010 at 10:21 PM

About as interesting as a dogfight with hot-air balloons.

Dark-Star on February 3, 2010 at 10:21 PM

I endured to see my Dennis Miller. Much funnier than Stewie.

HornetSting on February 3, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Unfortunately, too many people listen to his shtick, and believe it as gospel…

… then vote.

That’s the problem. Stupid college kids think all they need to know is on CC.
Stewart seems to be the only person openly mocking Obama right now that I’ve noticed, and the audience seems to think that’s a forbidden thing to do. They’re afraid to laugh.
It’s just really rich for him to look down on Fox.

Most libs just hate Fox because of their ratings and because Fox doesn’t fall in line with the other network goose steppers. That’s all their anger is really based on; it’s nothing important.

B Man on February 3, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Unfortunately, too many people listen to his shtick, and believe it as gospel…

… then vote.

Keep in mind that your statement applies for every popular talking head on TV and radio…

Dark-Star on February 3, 2010 at 10:27 PM

I endured to see my Dennis Miller. Much funnier than Stewie.

HornetSting on February 3, 2010 at 10:24 PM

I love Dennis Miller!!

deidre on February 3, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Fun viewing on a slow news night.

Can we please view at least a headline about that jackass Murtha being in intensive care?

SouthernGent on February 3, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Ya Dennis Miller is must see tv when he’s on OReilly.

B Man on February 3, 2010 at 10:31 PM

OReilly is an appeaser of those liberals he feels are hip… O’Reilly should let’em have it every once in awhile. For a tall guy, he falls short when dealing with the most arrogant but popular liberals.

Travis1 on February 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM

SouthernGent on February 3, 2010 at 10:30 PM

For what, Gent?

HornetSting on February 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Dark-Star on February 3, 2010 at 10:27 PM

True…

… but look at the ‘Pop Culture’, the Main Stream Media, Hollywood, Education, the ‘Talking Points’ that seem to infiltrate our society as an agenda to be driven.

Ever heard of ‘Global Warming”? A total and complete HOAX, but has effected every aspect of our lives.

In the ‘alternative media’, at least we have to give facts to prove our point, and not just the talking points of the day…

Seven Percent Solution on February 3, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Jon Stewart seemed uncomfortable and weary.

His appearance tonight was like that of an aged lounge lizard performing coming on the old Carson show with the same old act, throwing in a few new cultural references he doesn’t understands (ee gads Glenn Beck!) but his heart isn’t in it. He needs a vacation, he should take it. Maybe Vegas, I hear its very not PC to go there nowadays.

batterup on February 3, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Hey Bill, how come the Oil companies topped colluding on price? Hope you’re happy with Obama because you helped him greatly with you idiotic BS leading up to the election. Guess that Iraq thing wasn’t as bad as your assessment either. Fraud.

TheBigOldDog on February 3, 2010 at 10:38 PM

For what, Gent?

HornetSting on February 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM

He’s a member of Congress, that’s why. I want to know if he’s getting premium care that he’s trying to deny me and all of us.

SouthernGent on February 3, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Seven Percent Solution on February 3, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I think you misunderstand; I meant that for BOTH sides of the political spectrum.

Conservatives have a more organized ‘message’, but liberals have the upper hand in media outlets.

Dark-Star on February 3, 2010 at 10:39 PM

If the guy thinks Glenn is a shill, only attacking one side, he hasn’t seen anything more than Olby’s clips.

bikermailman on February 3, 2010 at 10:44 PM

For what, Gent?

HornetSting on February 3, 2010 at 10:32 PM

SouthernGent on February 3, 2010 at 10:38 PM

No, why is he in intensive care? :)

HornetSting on February 3, 2010 at 10:46 PM

No, why is he in intensive care? :)

HornetSting on February 3, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Oh…haha. I’m a bit defensive, eh? He’s got gall bladder issues.

SouthernGent on February 3, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Apparently nobody watches… what’s his name again?

Drained Brain on February 3, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Stewart is lame.

Liberals suck at debating.

therightwinger on February 3, 2010 at 11:11 PM

I watched it and I thought Stewart looked like he didn’t want to be there and oreilly was trying to hard to be cool. Stewart also was kind of mooking himat times.

ldbgcoleman on February 3, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Miller referring to Eric Holder as Stedman…BWAHAHAHA!

selias on February 3, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Stewart’s wrong about Greta. She went from Natalie Hollaway to PUMA/McCain. Her show is all politics now.

Connie on February 3, 2010 at 11:19 PM

O’Reilly is such a pompous douchebag. How do people stand watching that guy?

therightwinger on February 3, 2010 at 11:24 PM

I heard BOR say on another show that Stewart’s people called to see if he could come on BOR’s show. Why?

d1carter on February 3, 2010 at 11:27 PM

I don’t watch O”Reilly anymore. He has chosen who he wants his audience to be and I’m not in that equations and that’s fine. I watch Beck, Hannity and Greta sometimes (because they repeat each other a lot). Greta is probably my favorite.

My husbansd still watches BOR but even he turned the channel tonight when Steward came on. He said he refused to watch that “Idi*t”.

CCRWM on February 3, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Stewart is just another Obama water carrier.

docdave on February 3, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Hack journalist meets hack comedian to discuss cable news that has elevated both men much higher then their modest talents would allow . Not an idea between them and their attempts at humor seemed forced and fell flat. Boring!

DeweyWins on February 3, 2010 at 11:44 PM

bikermailman on February 3, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Yeah, but he only attacks Republicans from their right flank. When he’s called an “everyman” that implies Beck is some sort of moderate. That obviously isn’t the case.

crr6 on February 3, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Bingo. I wish O’Reilly had managed to slip that point in. I’m sure Stewart thinks CNN is the pinnacle of objectivity. I didn’t say MSNBC because, surely, not even Stewart could make that assertion?

yubley on February 3, 2010 at 11:49 PM

yubley on February 3, 2010 at 11:49 PM

Stewart thinks CNN is a joke of a network. Go to youtube and type “Stewart CNN” and you will see him DESTROYING them while ON CNN.

thphilli on February 4, 2010 at 12:00 AM

All five foot two of him is just another kool-aid drinker. I never found him smart or funny. He was quivering with the chance to spout talking points that are just ad hominem attacks of the usual moonbat nature…Stewart sucks, he sucks even on weed……..

adamsmith on February 4, 2010 at 12:02 AM

I heard a comic say that it doesn’t really help a comic to learn more about current events than the audience knows about them. In fact it hurts the comedy. You have to navigate within what the majority of the audience thinks is true–not necessarily what is true or makes more sense.

RBMN on February 4, 2010 at 12:02 AM

Clown nose off?

carbon_footprint on February 3, 2010 at 10:11 PM

Most definitely, Stewart had the look of a child being reprimanded by an adult.

javamartini on February 4, 2010 at 12:09 AM

Thank goodness, I have a DVR and can fast forward past Stewart to Dennis Miller.

HellCat on February 4, 2010 at 12:14 AM

I have watched O’Reilly from the beginning but have lost all respect for him. He used to be tough on certain issues, but since the election and even before he has tried to play it down the middle so much it makes me ill to watch. Everything the liberal crooks, Marxists, commies, etc. do, to be fair and balanced, he claims both sides do it which is factually not true. But by doing this, his ratings are going up because he wants to draw the moderates. He seems to be naive about what Obama is up to. I think his great fear is that Beck will surpass him in ratings someday and he is latching on to his popularity with this comedy tour they are doing, which isn’t funny and just seems odd.

silvernana on February 4, 2010 at 12:29 AM

…and how can you say it is a slow news day when everyone in Obdumbo’s admin had to apologize for stupid remarks and his budget is criticized even by Dems. Panetta is expecting another terrorist attack within 6 months.

HellCat on February 4, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Greta is probably my favorite.

I missed Greta tonight. Just tell me something: Did she have Steve Moore from the Wall Street Journal on?

If so, what a coup! I didn’t even know that he did interviews.

YYZ on February 4, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Stewart is lame.

Liberals suck at debating.

therightwinger on February 3, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Stewart needs a teleprompter too.

SlimyBill on February 4, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Later, the comedian confronted his host: “Here’s your problem and I’m going to tell you this right now: You like me. You don’t know what to do with yourself right now because you like me.”

So is it true?

“I like Stewart,” O’Reilly admitted after the show. “It’s a character flaw of mine.”

YYZ on February 4, 2010 at 12:51 AM

I can’t help it. I think that Leibowitz is funny.

Mason on February 3, 2010 at 10:10 PM

I think Jon has genuine talent and can be funny, but usually he just repulses me with his smugness and intellectual shallowness/dishonesty. He was much more entertaining earlier in his career when he didn’t take himself seriously.

I was laughing at him when O’Reilly made him look completely foolish as he tried to defend his narrative about Fox News. He should be embarrassed by his attempt; of course, that isn’t a possibility.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 4, 2010 at 1:08 AM

I endured to see my Dennis Miller. Much funnier than Stewie.

HornetSting on February 3, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Did you enjoy Miller’s effusive praise of Stewart at the beginning of his appearance? I admit that it made get up, go to the toilet, and projectile vomit into it for 3 straight minutes. Honestly.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 4, 2010 at 1:18 AM

I hate the way Steward dances on that comedy line. It’s his shield. Watch the clip from Crossfire where he gets into it with Tucker Carlson. He critiqued them, and when Tucker returned the favor he put the clown nose on and said his show was just comedy. He did that the whole interview.

DFCtomm on February 4, 2010 at 1:28 AM

thphilli on February 4, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Cool, thanks, although I couldn’t actually bring myself to take the time to watch them. So, I believe you and I still don’t like Stewart (even though I did laugh at his slam on Obama using the teleprompter in the classroom).

yubley on February 4, 2010 at 1:29 AM

O’Reilly is such a pompous douchebag. How do people stand watching that guy?

therightwinger on February 3, 2010 at 11:24 PM

His ‘pomposity’ is more tongue-in-cheek than you realize.

I like O’Reilly, and believe he has gotten better over time. I think he runs a good show.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 4, 2010 at 1:31 AM

I stopped watching Bill0 because of the racist hatemonger he has on . So when I see these clips here, there is something which I can’t comprehend.
When Stewart started his librant about Beck, why didn’t Bill0 say that if Beck is lying or misquoting ANYTHING, why doesn’t his red phone ring off the hook ?
Thats what ticks off the lefties, Beck plays audios and videos and quotes their own lefty words, which even Mediamatters can’t deny.
Whether it is Hitler or Woodrow Wilson, or FDR or GB Shaw or Obama or Mark Lloyd, they get butchered
by their own words
If Bill0 doesn’t think its important to bring up this point about Beck, he is in the league with Soros hacks.

macncheez on February 4, 2010 at 1:32 AM

DFCtomm on February 4, 2010 at 1:28 AM

I concur.

Another good example of what you are saying is his flippant reply to O’Reilly’s point about Cheney – he couldn’t dispute it reasonably, so he suddenly decided to get jokey. He’s a coward.

Bizarro No. 1 on February 4, 2010 at 1:36 AM

These two clowns have no idea, have no understanding of a limited federal government. For liberals that didn’t get enough breast milk as children, it’s always about what big government is going to do for me. The president of a FEDERAL government can’t just go around willy nilly and make things happen, as much as Obama wishes he could.

long_cat on February 4, 2010 at 1:51 AM

I like Bill O

Palin Steele on February 4, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Goddamn, look at the body language…..Stewart is hunched over and defensive during the whole talk…..

cthulhu on February 4, 2010 at 3:14 AM

I watched Stewart defend Obama. And I watched Bill Ayers being interviewed in the snow. And they both seem very sad.

I think the left really thought they were right about the world. That their silly slogans meant something real.
Bill Ayers sounds like his brain stopped in the 1960s…

Obama was the culmination of all the left has worked for. And he is so shallow. Everything they have worked for is so shallow and meaningless.

War is bad always. Profit is the ultimate evil. Man is an enemy of the enviroment. White people oppress everyone else.

They haven’t been able to realize it yet but they have been wrong about every single issue.

Obama is such a disappointment sure the true believers like Stewart and Ayers think it is a problem with communication…

But everyone else sees clearly that if Obama–the very symbol of everything correct in leftwing thought–is not able to convince the world of the justness of the left’s principles then those principles are wrongheaded.

I think Obama is bringing fundamental change. He is showing the shallowness of leftwing thought. The unjustness of the redistribution of wealth against the will of the people who produce that wealth.

Obama’s way, Stewart’s way, Ayer’s way is certainly as unjust as Adam Smith’s invisible hand ever was.

Equality of opportunity does exist in this country. Equality of outcome cannot exist in nature. Equality of outcome is not possible.

Even if you could produce it at some snap-shot moment the minute people started thinking and moving and breathing… some would get cancer, another would have a brilliant idea that saved him time and money, another would become annoyed at his place in line, some would be jealous of others, some would be generous and give all of their excess away. A storm would hit somewhere and destroy someone’s wealth. Weather would be good and produce a bumper crop to someonelse.

All the human failings and virtues would come into play to make the outcome uneven again.

Obama is bringing it so clear that the left is living in never never land.

It is better to have a free society than to have a fair society. We can make a free society that protects everyone fairly. But equal outcome is not possible.

Life will never be fair. And to be frustrated by that is normal. To be consumed with fighting that is insanity.

Accept it and let us get on with our unfair and unequal lives.

petunia on February 4, 2010 at 3:58 AM

silvernana on February 4, 2010 at 12:29 AM

You said it.

O’Reilly always cops out and bends over backwards to make nice with prominent Fox-hostile leftists when he interviews them…see Michael Moore, Ben Affleck, Barry O., etc. It’s embarrassing and pathetic.

Cylor on February 4, 2010 at 4:20 AM

That obviously isn’t the case.

crr6 on February 3, 2010 at 11:45 PM

You obviously wouldn’t know.

hillbillyjim on February 4, 2010 at 4:58 AM

by their own words

macncheez on February 4, 2010 at 1:32 AM

Limbaugh has become a billionaire using this very trait—by simply re-playing the audios of the stupid things liberals say.

Too funny, Mike Barnacle, (sub-hosting the “way to early morning show”), is replaying the Stewart/O’Reilly face-off, making the claim that the advertisers are the big winners.

As an observation, I’m lookin’ forward to seeing the faltering liberal cable media imploding this spring, with not only their ratings plummeting, but also getting into the dangerous “Dan Rather Fake but Accurate” modus. As their precious “leadership” continues to impale in their vicious ideology, (rejected by over 2/3′s of the nation), desperation will set in.

Just look at what the liberal media has covered in the past week to take attention off Obama and his liberal cronies in the administration, Emanuel and Holder, etc. With national security and record deficits on the minds of middle America, it’s been nothing but wall to wall John Edwards and his Judas sidekick. Now that’s news to these morons.

Rovin on February 4, 2010 at 5:50 AM

Stewart and Colbert have nothing but contempt for BOR, but yet he banters with them as if they are just entertainers who don’t really mean what they say on the set…a mere act they can put aside at the drop of a hat.

To O’Reilly’s credit, he really believes this and is in many ways a good-natured, well-intentioned man. Admirable on one level but strangely sad somehow.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 4, 2010 at 5:55 AM

Jon Stewart is a lefty who should have been challenged, but wasn’t, on his ill informed views. Bill O’Reilly gets a D for this interview.

Phil Byler on February 4, 2010 at 6:32 AM

Bill O’really is about as left leaning as I can stand. I can’t watch his interviews with that racist Mark Lamont Hill. He says, No spin zone, but lets that stuttering bigot turn everything into race and class warfare. Hypocrite.

DanaSmiles on February 4, 2010 at 6:58 AM

I’m not a huge fan of O’Reilly. But in this interview, it looked like Jon Stewart was provided enough rope to hang himself.

The guy can’t claim he’s not a fulltime, dedicated, leftwing moonbat, not after his display of ignorance on the three branches of government. Obama doesn’t get to just demand whatever legislation he wants, as if Congress were a large vending machine.

Murf76 on February 4, 2010 at 7:06 AM

I love Stewart’s great indictment of Fox: They take reasonable concerns about Obama and the state of the economy and spin them into blinding panic.

It’s almost like he’s never heard of MSNBC or the ‘reporting’ during the Bush years.

gwelf on February 4, 2010 at 7:12 AM

They should let Megan Kelly debate Stewart

ldbgcoleman on February 4, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Reduced payroll tax withholdings do NOT equal reduced income tax. The tax rat tables have not been changed. I wish someone would get that straight for once.

trs on February 4, 2010 at 7:34 AM

O’Reilly’s 50% schmuck. If it wasn’t for others on Fox news, you’d never know the real truth about some issues. His never-ending “far left” and “far right” is tedious. We rarely, if ever hear from the far right (skin heads?). What he calls the far right is just “the folks,” which means “the people.” And for the record, we’re the moderates. How so? We have traditional values but live our entire lives in a leftist world.

JiangxiDad on February 4, 2010 at 7:53 AM

They should let Megan Kelly debate Stewart

ldbgcoleman on February 4, 2010 at 7:28 AM

That would be kind of like swatting mosquitoes with a Sherman tank, wouldn’t it? ;-)

UltimateBob on February 4, 2010 at 7:53 AM

At the end Stewart was on the Right wing narrative and wouldn’t let go. Then he got uncomfortable just like every progressive that goes on FN into the enemy camp..BOR did fine, IMHO.

JAW on February 4, 2010 at 7:55 AM

petunia on February 4, 2010 at 3:58 AM

Comment of the century!

Very well put, Petunia. I wish I could think that clearly at 4 AM.

UltimateBob on February 4, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Jon Stewart is as sophomoric as his audience. I thought BOR did a good job challenging him but was too complimentary. Stewart is no mental giant. He just kept babbling about FOX’s narrative, even as BOR aptly compared FOX’s schedule to a newspaper’s various sections. Typical liberal repeating talking point in the face of real logic. He actually didn’t even seem to be familiar with the term “everyman”. Yet, he seems to think the public is even dumber than he is, that no way can we tell the difference between news and opinion. Kudos to Bill for reminding Stewart that people know his show is a comedy show and not a news show.

Disturb the Universe on February 4, 2010 at 8:09 AM

There’s a reason why BOR is still the highest rated Foxer. This waa a great interview. The fact that some of you hardcore right-wingers are grumbling about it means that it appealed to a bigger audience than Beck or Hannity would. That’s the POINT. BOR is all about ratings, not about attacking people or being a rigid ideologue just to get good reviews at places like HotAir.

rockmom on February 4, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Murf76 on February 4, 2010 at 7:06 AM

You caught that too? It’s almost like Stewart wants Obama to be…The Decider!

LOL

rockmom on February 4, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Here’s the best way to counteract claims that Fox News only presents a “single narrative” and isn’t fair:

* Name one example of a major scandal affecting Fox’s newsroom. (Cf. NBC blowing up trucks, ABC running health care infomercials, CBS with the forged national guard documents, CNN and MSNBC with more examples than I can name)

* Name one serious Republican with a show on NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, or MSNBC. (And no, Joe Scarborough doesn’t count).

* Name one other news network that invites conservatives on as guests, panelists, or guest hosts in any regular way. (O’Reilly and Hannity both regularly bring liberal voices onto the network, as do the hard news shows.)

* Name one example of Fox News refusing to cover stories that negatively impact Republicans. (Unlike the entirety of the MSM who refused to cover Jeremiah Wright or John Edwards until absolutely forced to, and the myriad of other examples of the media killing stories that are adverse to lefties).

Outlander on February 4, 2010 at 9:21 AM

BOR is all about ratings, not about attacking people or being a rigid ideologue

You say this like it’s a virtue. Why should we care about ratings? Being a fairly rigid ideologue is good. And attacking enemies is how you win. I’m a moderate, but I bet you’d call me an extreme right-winger, like BOR:)

JiangxiDad on February 4, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I thought it was a good segment.

I don’t agree with John Stewart’s politics, but I don’t agree with half of my own family either. They’re still good people.
Stewart is hilarious, even when he is dissing the right.
O’Reilly and Stewart both know who they are and I think they are both men of good character.
I think it’s refreshing to see people on opposite sides of the fence getting along and not turning it into some hateful exchange.
More of this instead of the hate our country could use.

bridgetown on February 4, 2010 at 9:35 AM

petunia on February 4, 2010 at 3:58 AM

Wow. That WAS well said!! Glad you shared it.

bridgetown on February 4, 2010 at 9:41 AM

JiangxiDad on February 4, 2010 at 7:53 AM

If I could ask that bonehead one question, it would be WTF is the “extreme right” to you? That is an oxymoron, right? I suppose he knows that the term is subjective? It is used by progressives to marginalize ANYONE on the right who disagrees with their radical views. For BO to even use the term shows how out of touch he is with his audience. Pompous @zz that he is.

DanaSmiles on February 4, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I love Jon Stewart – he is brilliant and he is who he is – and is perfectly comfortable with himself.

I always enjoy seeing him interviewed.

jake-the-goose on February 4, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Unless I misunderstood what JS said, he in fact reinforced some of what Beck has been saying. In one of his responses, Stewart stated that the problem with Maobama not being able to get things done was because of “people still thinking in terms of 3 branches of government, and thats ‘old thinking’” he would like to see more direct power in place.
That is a lot of what Beck sees as the danger of the path we’re on. I think Stewart is just another true believer that thinks the ends justify the means.

Itchee Dryback on February 4, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Jon Stewart does one or two riffs on Obama and suddenly he is OK? Gee, I wonder how he was during those 8 years of the Bush admin? He said that Fox was just “talk radio” on TV. That wasn’t a compliment, it was a bash. He is purposfully denegrating the viewers and the producers. When these lefties start realizing that when the nation approves of something overwhelmingly, like FOX or religion, that it doesn’t help them to equate it to bitter clinger redneck ignorance. Leibowitz doesn’t understand this and doesn’t care as long as his pot-head cronies extol him. As far as I’m concerned he is, as Rahm Emanuel would say, a retard.

Haunches on February 4, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Murf76 on February 4, 2010 at 7:06 AM

rockmom on February 4, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Both beat me to it : )

Itchee Dryback on February 4, 2010 at 10:14 AM

petunia on February 4, 2010 at 3:58 AM

Well said. Great post! +100.

Itchee Dryback on February 4, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Stewart still has blinders on. He thinks that Fox is more clearly ideological. That’s only true because he doesn’t realize how much of the stuff he accepts is really ideologically slanted.

It’s like accusing a Chinese restaurant of having a bizarre menu, when all you’ve ever eaten is Italian food. Someday he might realize how skewed his perspective is, and become the next Dennis Miller.

hawksruleva on February 4, 2010 at 10:23 AM

UltimateBob on February 4, 2010 at 7:53 AM

I’m not sure Megyn would like that comparison, though Sherman tanks are very well-built…

hawksruleva on February 4, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Accept it and let us get on with our unfair and unequal lives.

petunia on February 4, 2010 at 3:58 AM

Well said. I wonder if Stewart even really believes, deep down, that mankind can perfect civilization? Because that’s at the core of Progressive governance. Stewart wants to give Obama’s executive branch more power so he can accomplish his agenda. But he doesn’t realize that the power doesn’t solve the problems, it just creates bigger problems.

If more people understood Government as just another big corporation, maybe they’d stop increasing the size of it. The Founders realized it, and created a system ideally suited to keeping power from being centralized. But America has moved steadily towards giving more power to the government, and the executive branch, in an effort to make the world a better place.

The truth is that life is chaotic, and man is greedy. No government will change those facts, but many governments have fallen because of them.

hawksruleva on February 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Quoting Jon Stewart, “Fox News is the most passionate and sells the clearest narritive of any new organization.”

Is that a bad thing? It’s easy to be passionate and clear when you know what’s right. Inward knowing (aka God-given awareness) and augmented by facts are a winning combo in life.

TwilightStruggler on February 4, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I saw this and thought that Stewart looked sick, pale with dark circles under his eyes.

The whole thing just irked the hell out of me. Bill allowed him to say things that are untrue and tried to come across as hip.

I told my husband that Bill does this so that he can claim that he is fair to both sides. It’s his schtick and who am I to fault it?

9 YEARS as the number one rated show on cable news. That is for every day, every week, every month of the past nine years.

I can’t argue with success.

Jvette on February 4, 2010 at 12:31 PM